Other Contemplating a tattoo; do you have or want any tattoos?

I have two tattoos. My first one, I contemplated on it for years. The second one, it was inspired by a story I heard. Both are very meaningful, symbolic, to me and I relate to them. One is for my battle and constant survival through depression (clinical depression is not a field of roses) while the other is the epitome of a person, a look on Yin and Yang. They both are from the same artist so they are in the same style: pointillism.

Do I have any regrets? Hell no. I thought about them, even had pictures and concepts that I stared at on a daily basis to see if I'd get sick of seeing them (I had a quote in mind once, stared at it for a week because it was my phone's wallpaper... I ended up hating that quote). Additionally, I put them where I can hide them if needed.

The only one that was truly painful was the first, and that was only because it was done over sunburn. If anything, it feels like a cat is scratching you over sunburn, but it's not like that for everyone and it depends on where you get it.

So, I suggest that you really think about what you want. Why do you want it? Find concepts, references, anything related to it so you can stare at it daily. Consider how it will age. Colored tattoos fade (the colors), lines do not remain crisp and clean after the skin heals from a tattoo session. Then think about placement. Will your job or future career not fancy it? Some workplaces will allow tattoos to show as long as it's not on a certain body part, if it's G-rated, or if it is not pro-violence, has a controversal topic, etc. (for example, a man was rejected for an officer position in a city department because he had a tattoo of a large AK-47 on his forearm. 1, civilians would claim the department promotes violence. 2, most law enforcement agencies are all about uniformity and unity, a tattoo like that stands out). Lastly, I would let others sway you, even me. It is your body; therefore, it is your decision :)

First Tattoo
Second Tatoo

Because... I want a definite source?

Consider where the tattoo is being placed. Tattoos that are located in areas that move often like the crook of arms and fingers tend to age and fade faster. Tattoos can be effected by many things, ones around ankles and elbows age and fade faster because of the skin in that area if I remember correctly. Plus muscle or fat increase can warp/disfigure tattoos. Hell, a number of things can effect a tattoo, especially ones that are not done professionally or by good quality equipment (in my opinion and from other tattooists and tattooees that I converse with). For a source, my relative had a tattoo in the crook of her arm. The tattoo's color in the joint scabbed and faded in blotches. It had to be redone once the skin had healed enough.

Consider where the tattoo is being placed. Tattoos that are located in areas that move often like the crook of arms and fingers tend to age and fade faster. Tattoos can be effected by many things, ones around ankles and elbows age and fade faster because of the skin in that area if I remember correctly. Plus muscle or fat increase can warp/disfigure tattoos. Hell, a number of things can effect a tattoo, especially ones that are not done professionally or by good quality equipment (in my opinion and from other tattooists and tattooees that I converse with). For a source, my relative had a tattoo in the crook of her arm. The tattoo's color in the joint scabbed and faded in blotches. It had to be redone once the skin had healed enough.
Oh! Thank you a lot! That makes a lot of sense. I was mostly confused cause the chick said it "qualifies as road burn"?

Consider where the tattoo is being placed. Tattoos that are located in areas that move often like the crook of arms and fingers tend to age and fade faster. Tattoos can be effected by many things, ones around ankles and elbows age and fade faster because of the skin in that area if I remember correctly.

That's actually a tattoo master's job right there. A client should not think about things like that.
Not gaining or loosing a lot of weight (and I mean a lot... around 20-25 kilograms is okay, but more might just twist it) is their own job, however. But positioning a tatttoo around curves and joints so it looks good is a work of a professional - not a client.

edit: also, looking back, that thing about road burns... both true and lies. Because every tattoo is qualified as a road rash by your body, but that's not a bad thing: it always heals it well if you take care of it. it's just the way your own organism perceives the damage as: like a road rash. Whoever told you that's bad and/or tattoos should not be taken like that, is an idiot.

Last edited:
I had a butterfly water tattoo when I was 6. It was pretty nice tbh

First things first: I don't have any tattoos.
But I don't really mind having tattoo. Might even like it. If I did, it would propably be a small but beautiful one, most likely no writings, preferably vividly coloured.
Only problem is, I am really afraid of getting the wrong design, or shape or whatever. The fact that you have one tattoo on your body for the rest of your life (I have heard of tattoo removals, but still) and not being able to change it?

What if I don't like it after some time? What if it becomes boring? What if its not memorable enough? What if I stop liking the thing its based on?

However, if you want to get a tattoo, I think you should totally go for it, if you don't have anxious tattoo queries like I do.

What if I don't like it after some time? What if it becomes boring? What if its not memorable enough? What if I stop liking the thing its based on?
Tbh, you don't think about such things. These are the thoughts you might get as a first impression, - and tuings parents like to tell their kids, - but s it becomes a part of you, you don't think about not liking it, you don't get bored of it. It's like getting bored of your height or skin colour... not something that happens.

I've got a back piece started it depicts a Hobbit leaving the Shire and going off on an adventure. Right now it's just an out line but once it's finished I'll post some pictures. I'm a huge Lord of the rings fan and I included some hidden things in the tattoo that represent the people in my life who have back. Cliche I know but despite me being 30 my parents are not fans of tattoos and we haven't had the best relationship it's getting better but I got the tattoo for me and no one else. Also my work is strict and tattoos can't be visible and no one sees my back unless I want them too. I'll post a picture once it's all finished.

I have my dog's paw print on my shoulder! I also really want a lilac tattoo some day and probably more as I get inspired.

I don't think I could ever pick a design, but man I love seeing others. I have a friend that has a fantastic deer and snake. My advice is to know what you want and save up to pay a good artist, nothing sucks more then cheap work.

I’ve always wanted a tattoo, but lately I’ve been considering the risk of not getting jobs because of one. Of course, it depends on the job, but since I’m *hopefully* going to be a doctor, I can’t have any tattoos showing, so arms and legs are not options for me anymore. Anyone should keep that in mind unless a very serious job like that is not an option; it’s not a guarantee that it will affect your chances of getting the job, but it might be a factor.

If you want a tattoo, I advise against getting something fandom related, unless said book/movie/etc. has really impacted your life, because while you might love a certain movie for a few years, there’s no certainty that you’ll be a die hard fan after a decade.

I also advise against very narrow, thin tattoos (those typically depicting really delicate flowers or leaves). They look gorgeous, and I wanted one as well, but I was told they fade very quickly and not particularly gracefully. Your dermis is smarter than you are and will take any opportunity to get rid of the pigment.

I say get something that is part of you as it is. Something to represent a trait/moment/passion that you know will stay with you forever. For instance, I’m an artist, and if I were to get a tattoo, I will most likely get something that will remind me to keep creating and being imaginative. Extra points if you design it yourself.

Tl;dr: Don’t just get a tattoo for the sake of it; get something you will be proud to show others 40 years from now.

I used to be a huge tattoo fan, I'd plan out my future sleeves and back tattoos connecting them across my back and front and have my legs almost completely covered. But at the moment, due to my financial situation, I've kind of calmed down over my huge rave about them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get loads of tattoos, but I honestly think if I covered my too much of my skin, I'd miss it.
I have several tattoos in mind and have done for almost 4 years now. I like the idea of waiting 5 years until I get a tattoo as I'm only 20 in a few days and I'd rather make a rational decision and be 1002% positive I want it on my body forever.

I want a tattoo at some point in my life but there’s a few problems.

1. I can never make up my mind on anything or be satisfied with a choice for more than a short period of time. It’d be hard for me to find something I’d not get sick of

2. I’m absolutely terrified of needles, and the sight of them makes me sick to my stomach.

I’d probably want something simple and small like a kanji character or a heart. Probably somewhere that could be covered up Incase I was ever in a situation where it would stick out like a sore thumb

Id really like a tattoo/series of tattoos that would make my arms/legs and respective hands/feet look like a broken porcelain doll pieced back together

Id really like a tattoo/series of tattoos that would make my arms/legs and respective hands/feet look like a broken porcelain doll pieced back together
Ooh I think that’d be really neat. I think I’ve seen someone with tattoos like that

Ooh I think that’d be really neat. I think I’ve seen someone with tattoos like that
I would also like to add details of kintsugi (japanees pottery repair) but I don't know if metallic ink is a thing or even safe... Eh not like I have the money for it atm so whatever

i do!!

i don’t know where, what, or when but i do know that tattoos are definitely gonna be a part of my life at some point!!

I seriously love tattoos, even though my silly self doesn’t have any. Though I do plan on getting one after I get through my recovery for my illness I’ve had for a while, just as a part of the healing process, you know?

I wish I could get one right now, but since my body is pretty tiny and I have to gain a major amount of weight, I’m afraid that it would stretch it out.​

Oh man! I love tattoos! It’s a wonderful form of self expression! <3

I have one on my wrist. It’s a flower crown and really simplistic. Very similar to this.

The only thing I’d say is pick something with meaning and maybe start small so you can gauge what your pain threshold is. I’ve had friends who definitely had tattoos regrets.

Another thing is to browse the artists portfolios. I’ve definitely followed tattoo artists on instagram and decided on my artist based on their style.

It also isn’t a bad idea to get a temporary tattoo if you want to test the waters. My friend had temporary tattoos from inkbox and it didn’t look too bad! Or maybe even henna tattoos!

But as far as I can say, tattoos aren’t all that bad if you take care of them and you really love the image or words that’s being drawn on your skin. Good luck! c:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back