• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Compliments and Conundrums : Private for Tarmagon and readysetstalk

Needless to say, that was not the reaction Gracelynn had expected to receive. Blood rushed to her cheeks, leaving a rosy dusting across her fair skin. Self confidence was not something she had a whole lot of. Grace was her worst critic. There was no doubt about that. Everyone in the town loved her, but that didn’t mean she was anything special. In her eyes, anyway. It was heartwarming to know that those around her thought highly of her. Without her enhancements from being bonded to Ryan. Her hand squeezed his in return, her body stepping in closer to his.

Grace glanced around the group as the conversation continued on. Part of her felt silly for thinking so lowly of herself, but then part of her thought they were nuts for thinking much more about her. It was something she’d have to get used to. She wasn’t a werewolf, but she was bonded to one. Her hearing was already picking up more and more. And she was feeling like she had more energy than before. Marissa was right. She was gaining the benefits of being with Ryan. Gracelynn just needed to believe in herself a little more.

“Of course,” she nodded, her eyes glancing up to Ryan. It wasn’t often that she didn’t go with him. Grace parted with Ryan and slid on a jacket. “But only if I get to use the bench grinder.” Her brow rose slightly and she gave him a playful wink. She worked in a hardware store. Although she wasn’t always useful when it came to manual labor, she did know her way around a workshop. Her father had shown her everything she needed to know about the store. Especially how to use most of the items in there.

Grace collected the handgun she’d been sporting and offered a small smile to Ryan. She was nervous to venture back out there, but at this point, it was more like taking a walk in their backyard. They kept going out there and fighting off whatever came their way. It was sad that this was almost becoming the new normal.

“After you,” she motioned towards the door. Just as always, Grace would become Ryan’s second shadow once they were out there. Her eyes glanced towards the sky, and then around them the second she stepped foot outside. Her nerves started to pick up, but she took a steadying breath and tried to calm herself down. She’d think clearer if she wasn’t freaking out. She was getting better at being out here. It showed. Although she was his shadow, she wasn’t hanging onto his pants the whole time.

Tarmagon Tarmagon (Grace is trying to put a game face on.)

Ryan watched as Grace collected her gun, then gestured towards the door. He made certain that he had his own firearm, as well as the sword. He turned to the rest of their group as he headed out the door.

"Sarah, supplies for two days hike. Kathy, overwatch. Marissa, I don't know enough about magic to make suggestions, so do what you think best."

As the trio nodded, Ryan slipped outside, feeling Grace slide easily into his wake. She remained close to him, but not quite as close as their first outing. While he could feel her nerves, Ryan could also feel her vigilance and effort to control those nerves. Either she was getting more comfortable with their ability to handle whatever they encountered, or she was getting more confident in her own ability to handle things. Ryan hoped it was a bit of both. Scanning the sky and tree line constantly, they made it to the service hut without incident, and Grace moved ahead of Ryan, examining the various tools and machines available. Despite her mention of a bench grinder, she shook her head as she examined it, moving instead to a strange looking thing with long belts of some odd material hanging on a rack beside it.

"Belt grinder," Grace said quietly, feeling Ryan's confusion. "A LOT quieter than a bench grinder. Hand me that bright red belt."

Ryan found the indicated belt, holding it and watching curiously as Grace fitted a contraption with rollers into a slot on the front of the machine. She took the belt from Ryan and expertly slipped it over the rollers, then snapped a lever forward, causing the belt to snap tight. A flip of a switch caused an electric motor to hum to life, causing the belt to rotate quickly. Grace watched it for a moment, making sure the belt was steady on the rollers, then gestured for Ryan to hand her the sword.

"This will make a little noise," she said, examining the edge of the blade before setting it against the moving belt. A shower of bright sparks erupted from the point of contact, accompanied by a faint whining noise.

"That's not too bad," Ryan said, nodding. "But I'm still going to move closer to the door so I can hear anything coming."

Ryan could feel Grace's assent, even as she concentrated on drawing the blade carefully along the moving belt, so he moved to the door, staying far enough inside to remain hidden from a casual observer, but giving himself a good view of the forest and sky. Time to see what his mate could accomplish.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (I have nothing planned to bother them for the rest of the day, but if you have something in mind, feel free. Tomorrow, they hike.)

Finally, something she could do without the need of help from anyone else. This was her area of expertise. While this wasn’t exactly what she had used a belt sander before in the past, it still held all the same principles. It was like slipping back into a routine. A routine that she hadn’t had to follow in some time. Back when her father was still around, he showed her everything she knew. Even when she was a small child, he had her out there helping with whatever project he was working on. Together, they had accomplished a lot. Since he had been gone, she hadn’t had the muse to go out and work on anything. Instead, she holed herself up in her art room upstairs and poured her feelings into that.

But as she worked that blade across the sander, and the sparks flew around her, she felt at peace with herself. Proud, even. It radiated through their bond, she was sure. Ryan would know exactly how she felt. And this time, it didn’t bother her. This wasn’t a feeling of fear or anxiety. She was happy to share this feeling with him. It held a much higher weight than fear did. She was confident in herself for the first time since their world started to end.

It took some time, but eventually she had the blade sharpened exactly how it needed to be. She carefully touched the point, and then brushed the edge with her thumb. Satisfied with her work, she turned off the belt sander and took a step back. Still inspecting the blade, she called for him.

“I think this is as good as it’s gonna get,” she spoke, knowing he’d be able to hear her. There was no reason to be loud about it. He could tell if a bunny hopped wrong across the field. They weren’t too far away from each other at this point. “But, I think it’s pretty damn good, if I must say so myself.”

Tarmagon Tarmagon Sorry for the delay! My life is a hot mess sometimes. I’m thinking Grace potentially gets hurt on the hike. The injury to force Ryan to change her.

Ryan could feel, contentment, emanating from Grace as she worked steadily away behind him. Finally she seemed to be in her element, doing something she was good at without having to depend on anyone else. If was a good feeling, and Ryan relaxed, letting it wash over him even as he remained vigilant, scanning the area and sky for any threats to his mate or their little pack. Nothing presented itself to his senses however, and he could feel when Grace decided she was done, even before the whine of the belt sander died away.

“I think this is as good as it’s gonna get,” she said quietly, knowing his hearing would easily pick out her words. “But, I think it’s pretty damn good, if I must say so myself.”

Ryan moved back to the working area, taking the sword and examining the edge critically. It wasn't a razor, but it was definitely comparable to the edge of the bush ax, and if they could work out a scabbard, much easier to carry. Looking around, he spotted an empty canvas carry all, and gave the sword an easy swing. The heavy canvas parted with a sharp ripping noise, and Ryan nodded.

"Nice work love," he said, smiling and giving Grace a quick kiss on the top of her head. "Now we just have to figure out how I'm supposed to carry it."

Grace examined the shop, then nodded sharply. Moving quickly, she retrieved what appeared to be a leather apron. Moving quickly, she marked out a pattern then nodded to Ryan. He knew what she wanted, and he sliced the heavy leather with quick, sure motions. A few minutes work with an awl, then careful stitching with what appeared to be actual bailing wire, and Ryan had a scabbard that rested more or less securely in the middle of his back. The hilt of the sword poked up over his left shoulder, and he found that while he could draw the blade quickly, returning it was an exercise in patience.

"I guess I won't be putting it back in the middle of a fight," he said with a grin. "So no big deal. I'm not really familiar with a sword, but with my speed and strength, anything I hit will probably not be getting back up, at least not quickly. Let's go see how the others are doing."

They made their way quickly, but carefully back to the cabin, finding everyone there. Ryan frowned when he saw Kathy, but Marissa spoke up before he could say anything.

"I've got a spell construct up on the roof," she said. "We're all going to need to rest tonight before we hike, and the construct will alert us if anything gets within a mile in the air or on the ground."

"That works," Ryan said, casting an approving gaze over Sarah's selection of provisions. Hiking foods, dried meats and vegetables in sealed packets, heck there was even a package of coffee in little disks. "Where did you find this stuff?"

"I nosed around the hotel," Sarah said. "We were in a hurry the first time we looked, I went slowly with a pass key. There was a bunch of camping supplies in a storage closet, so I grabbed what I thought we could use. There's a small cooking kit," she gestured to a smallish pack set by the door. "It's got a put, a pan, and a coffee pot, as well as a couple of nesting services. You know, the folding stuff with a cup and utensils held inside a pair of plates?"

Ryan hadn't actually used one, but he knew what she was talking about, so he just nodded.

"Good work," he said, then pulled out the sword. "Grace did a good job on this while you were out scrounging. I'm not a swordsman, but it's sharp enough to get somethings attention. So, blankets over the windows. Sarah and Kathy, make sure all the lights are off in the hotel. The generator noise is bad enough, but lights carry for miles. Grace and I will put together dinner with Marissa's help. Then we rest. Sarah, you can go over the route as we eat."

Everyone nodded, and Sarah and Kathy moved out, heading for the main hotel, while Grace and Ryan set to work, working with Marissa to put together a dinner of their most perishable food stuffs.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (They have a plan. Tomorrow, they hike.)

Cooking was never Grace's strong suit. That's why she went to the diner on most nights after work. It ended up paying out in the end, if she had a say so in the matter. If she had been the type of person who like to cook, she might not have ever run into Ryan. And then where would she be now? Probably walking around trying to eat brains like most of the townspeople. Gracelynn stared at the food before them and waited for some sort of guidance. Figuring out a meal plan with what they had was daunting, to say the least. At least she had proven herself with the sword. Being a housewife was not something she had ever thought she would be.

Under Ryan's supervision, she followed his word in preparing the dinner for the four of them. She kicked off her boots and left them by the door before she went and washed her hands. Her dark hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she set to work on prepping whatever he handed her. A lot of the perishable food was used. Whatever meats they had were carefully prepared, and she worked on peeling and slicing the potatoes. Which, by the way, took more skill than she had originally thought. The first potato was mostly cut away with the peel, leaving a very small, ovalish potato in her wake. Frowning slightly, she continued to slice it up and put those into a bowl. Her next potato took a bit more time. It wouldn't be wise to keep hacking at a potato. Maybe they should have let Kathy handle this.

Once the dinner was mostly done, Gracelynn grabbed a bottle of water and twisted off the cap. She took a slow drink before replacing the cap on the bottle. Everything they were preparing was over the fire and cooking at this point. Now they waited until it was done. Her eyes went to Marissa and Ryan for a brief moment before she made her way over to the small closet. Blankets over the windows. She could handle that.

She gathered the few that she needed and then went to the first window. She looked up at the top of the window and then grabbed a wooden chair. She climbed up to stand on the seat of the chair and carefully secured the blanket over the window. There had been a few push pins in a drawer of the desk in their honeymoon suite. Thankfully they worked good enough to hold the blanket. Once she was done with the first, she moved on to the second window, and so forth until all the windows were covered.

Stepping down off of the chair, Grace looked over her work with an approving gaze. It would work for now. Grace put the chair back where it belonged and then took a seat on the couch, curling her legs up towards her chest. The hike in the morning had her nervous. It was beginning to sink in that they would be venturing out without the RV or anything else remotely close to a vehicle. It would be dangerous. And something just wasn't sitting right about it. She had a feeling something bad was going to happen. Whether it be her nerves, or some sort of intuition, she couldn't tell. But it had her stomach in knots.

Tarmagon Tarmagon Grace is apprehensive about it, for good reason.

Ryan could feel the nerves coming off of Grace in waves as she busied herself covering the windows. He wanted to tell her everything was going to be alright, but that would have been a lie, and just the Pack bond made that impossible... add in the mate and soul bond? He could no more lie to Grace than he could himself. So, all he could do was send wordless reassurance along their bond as he completed the dinner. Conversation over dinner consisted of Sarah pointing out possible routes on a map she unfolded on the floor. After examining the possible routes, they all agreed that they would avoid both the fastest and most rugged routes. The werewolves would have no trouble, but Marissa and Grace would have a hard time with the most direct route. Once Kathy had pointed out the best route, Sarah was able to get her bearings and point out the location of their destination.

"The spell construct will last until morning," Marissa said as they cleaned up after dinner. "We should all rest. We've got a long walk tomorrow."

Sarah and Kathy vanished into the bathroom together, and a few minutes later, trotted out in their wolf forms. Each came over to give Grace's hand a quick lick nod to Ryan, then they curled up together close to the fireplace, but far enough away that stray embers had no chance of hitting them. After taking care of her own needs, Marissa took the couch, pulling a spare blanket up over herself with a tired sigh. She was snoring quietly before Ryan emerged from the bathroom. Ryan settled himself onto the bed, stretching an arm out, ready to enfold Grace when she came to bed. They had a long day coming up.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Last chance for talk or preparation. Tomorrow the walk begins after a quick breakfast.)

Dinner had gone over well once everyone made it back. Grace remained quiet during most of the conversation. She knew the lands, but not as well as Kathy or Sarah did. Leadership wasn't exactly something she was strong in. There were no disagreements on the plan for the hike from her, so she kept mostly to herself. She ended up getting rather lost in her own thoughts while she ate. At this point she was mostly a tag-along. There wasn't a lot she brought to the table. Somehow she managed to get herself right in the middle of this mess.

When it came time for bed, Grace let the others into the bathroom first. A small smile formed on her lips as Sarah and Kathy passed her, her fingers gently ruffling up the fur on the tops of their heads as they walked by. They'd be okay. They had to be. Once they were settled, Gracelynn rummaged through her clothing options for nightwear. As you can imagine, most of everything in there was something she wouldn't wear around anyone but Ryan. Kathy really had no holds barred when she packed that bag. The only clean pajama set left was a skimpy silk and lace tank and shorts set. Black, of course. Once Ryan was done, she slipped into the bathroom to brush her teeth and change into the set she'd pulled from the luggage.

With her hair reaching down to the middle of her back in loose curls, she slipped out the bathroom and hurried over to the bed with Ryan. Even though she was sure no one had seen her, her cheeks still burned red as she slid under the covers with him. Grace almost immediately curled up into Ryan's side, her arm draped over his waist and her face nuzzled in close to his chest.

"Hey," she whispered softly. "I love you." With a lazy smile, she placed a gentle kiss to the center of his chest.

As morning rolled in, the cabin remained rather dark from the blankets over the windows. But something was telling her that it was time to get up and moving. Gracelynn didn't want to even move from her warm little spot next to Ryan. He'd have to pry her off if he was going to try and get up any time soon.

Tarmagon Tarmagon How long will the hike be? A single day? Grace'll be a whole new being after this.

Ryan couldn't quite suppress a chuckle as Grace emerged from the bathroom wearing a rather provocative shorts and top ensemble that would have been perfect for their honeymoon, but now was most likely the most demure thing that Kathy had packed for her. He would have preferred that neither of them were wearing anything, but circumstances had interfered in a most dramatic manner. Instead, he enfolded Grace in his arms as she settled in beside him, her head resting comfortably on his chest. He stroked her hair gently as her soft 'I love you' drifted to his ears.

"I love you," he replied, equally quietly, squeezing carefully before settling down to try and sleep.

Sleep did not come easily, and when it did, strange dreams made it far from restful. Fortunately, the dreams skittered away from his mind before he could fully comprehend them, and somehow he knew that was a good thing. The link between himself and Grace seemed to be blunting... something, and near morning Ryan was finally able to fall into a restful sleep.

Seemingly mere moments after falling asleep, Ryan's senses urged him back awake. The sun was rising somewhere out beyond the blankets over the windows. As he lay in bed, Ryan became aware of a heaviness in the air, a chill dampness that promised rain in the near future. As if on cue, a faint pattering swept across the roof of the cabin, there one second and gone the next.

"Well crap," Ryan muttered feelingly. "Just what we needed. Rain."

The warm spot that was Grace, curled up against his side, squirmed slightly as if in protest of his words, and he looked down, meeting her eyes.

"Morning beautiful," he said, leaning down to kiss the top of her head. "We need to get started as soon as we can. The weather has turned, and we're probably going to have about a four hour hike ahead of us. A rather chilly and wet one."

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Last chance to interact and prepare. Ryan, Sarah , and Kathy will dress lightly in case they need to Change. Ryan will carry the pack with things in it, Kathy will carry the pack with the food, and Grace will be asked to carry a small pack with several spare sets of clothes in case of emergency. Sarah has the shotgun, Ryan the sword and his pistol, Kathy will take the bush axe, and Grace has her pistol. Marissa has her magic. Encounter on the hike at your discretion)

What should have been an easier night’s rest, ended up being quite the opposite. Her body and mind were both thoroughly exhausted, though something kept tugging at her brain as she tried to shut it down. It wasn’t her dreams that kept her, but his. Their bond was something special, that’s for sure. While he was unable to get decent rest, neither was she. Often enough to disrupt sleep, she would find herself shifting about, waking up just long enough to get comfortable before her eyelids became heavy once again. Each time she moved, her body only seemed to inch closer to his. By morning, one would think they were tied together.

There was a soft grumble to be heard from her being as his words sounded through the quiet cabin. Warm hands pulled at the blanket, pulling it up over her shoulder as she nuzzled her face into his chest.

“Sounds like an even bigger reason to cherish these few moments,” she whispered, her arm snaking around his waist once more to hold herself close to him. It was going to be a very long day. If the rain kept up, the hike would be even longer. Grace was not much for the outdoors, so naturally she’d much rather nap all day as opposed to going out there and getting wet. It was at the very bottom on the list of things she didn’t want to do today.

But eventually she had to get up. Right? Grace had started to drift off again, but the thought of the hike pulled her back to reality. With a slightly louder groan, Grace removed herself from Ryan. Not before giving those lips of his a quick kiss, though. She carefully slipped out of the bed and to the bathroom. While there, she changed into a pair of jeans, a black t-shirt, and a red flannel over that. She brushed her teeth, washed her face, and then emerged. Unfortunately, the flannel was the closest thing she had to a jacket. The more she thought about this hike, the less excited she grew. They didn’t even know what was out there, honestly. There was a sinking feeling in her stomach. Something just seemed… off.

While the others took part in getting themselves ready for the day, Gracelynn scrambled some eggs and prepared a bit of fruit. There was bread, for those who wanted an egg sandwich. She tried to use as much of the food that would perish in the next day or so that she could. Hell, she wasn’t even sure they’d be coming back here.

Before long, packs were full and boots were on. It was time to embark on their journey. Gracelynn took a moment to pull her long hair up into a bun before slipping the pistol she carried into the waistband of her pants. Her nerves were starting to set in. Sweat started to form on her palms. Pale green eyes went to Ryan, filled with uncertainty.

If we die, just know that I’m glad we shared this time together. Thank goodness she was able to communicate with him without the others knowing. But I’d also prefer to not die.

Before they set out, Gracelynn slipped the pack with clothing up over her shoulders. She gave a soft sigh and then reached up for a quick kiss from Ryan.

“Everyone ready?” She asked, glancing through the group to see almost everyone packed and ready to go. Oh, how she hoped this went well. After everyone gave notice that they were, she carefully pulled the front door of the cabin open and ushered them out. She’d take the back, for now. After everyone filed out, she quietly shut the door and followed.

This had to go well.

Tarmagon Tarmagon It’s about to get spicy. I figured we could get about halfway there before they encounter one of the zombie werewolves, or whatever else may be lurking out there. I plan on it being pretty gory, if that’s cool with you.

Ryan could feel the reluctance to rise coming off of Grace in waves, and for just a few moments he relented, allowing them to enjoy a few precious minutes just snuggled together under the blanket. Unfortunately, the day wasn't going to get any better, and responsibility pulled them from their cozy nest. Grace availed herself of the bathroom first, and wonderful smells of cooking wafted through the small cabin as the rest of their little pack prepared for the coming day. By the time everyone had taken care of the morning's needs, there was a small mountain of food made up of the most perishable of their supplies. Ryan whole-heartedly approved of Grace's choices, setting to with a will. Everyone managed to find something suited to their tastes, and with three werewolves involved, there was nothing left save crumbs.

If we die, just know that I’m glad we shared this time together.

The thought from Grace gave Ryan pause as they checked over their packs, and he glanced sharply over at her. Something had her on edge, and he didn't like the way her thoughts were turning dark.

We'll be alright love. whatever comes at us, we'll take it head on and come out the other side.

Grace just swung her pack onto her back, then stretched up to give Ryan a kiss before turning to Kathy, Sarah, and Marissa.

“Everyone ready?” She asked, then opened the door onto the grey day that was still spitting rain in spiteful fits and starts. Ryan, despite being in nothing more than jeans and a t-shirt, hefted his pack containing the various tools they thought they might need, headed out into the drizzle, his shirt immediately clinging to his torso. Kathy and Sarah were dressed the same, clothing most people would find far too light for this time of year, but their werewolf metabolisms kept them warm, and if they had to shift forms, well the light clothing would fall away far easier than heavier items. Grace's pack had a few changes of clothing just in case things went sideways and the wolves had to Shift, and Kathy carried a pack bulging with trail food. Sarah had the camp cookery items in her pack, and carried the shotgun easily. Kathy had the bush ax, and Marissa had stuffed her pockets with little items she had made from the leftover amulet making supplies they had scrounged. As they all filed out, Grace shut the door behind them, the click of the latch seeming loud in the damp air.

"This is your show," Ryan said, looking at Sarah and Kathy. "Lead on."

Kathy took a moment to get her bearings, then nodded firmly and set off, angling away from the road and into the deeper forest around the Cascades. Sarah followed close on Kathy's heels, her head turning as she took in the scents of the forest. Marissa came next, the only member of their little party unburdened by a pack, but Ryan figures the faster she could use her magic, the better their chances would be. Grace had lagged behind as they left the cabin, but Ryan paused to let her come up beside him as they entered the woods. He wasn't going to insist she walk ahead of him, but he wasn't going to let her walk behind him either, so they made up the rear of their little party together, moving quietly through the sodden forest, only the sound of falling rain and water dripping off of trees to accompany them.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (So, to make matters, interesting... two hours into the hike, just over the top of a fairly large hill they find a camp full of bodies. The creature that killed the folks is still there, but cloaked by magic. It's fast, huge, and three werewolves are barely a match for it. It's a magical construct, so only the bush ax and sword will damage it. Marissa can keep it from reporting their presence, but it takes all of her concentration and power. Description, Grace's actions and injuries are up to you. No one will notice the creature until it attacks.)

And then they were off.

The constant drizzle had them all soaked before they even made it more than a few yards from the front door of the cabin. Dark strands of hair fell from the bun on top of her head and clung to face. The flannel that covered her shoulders didn’t provide much warmth now that it was soaked through. Whenever they made it to the other cabin, she would be more than happy to peel these clothes off for something dry. It was going to be a very miserable, long day.

As the party ventured on silently, Gracelynn walked along next to Ryan. It was quiet between them, even through their thoughts. The uneasy feeling she’d felt earlier at the cabin hadn’t gone away. As to not worry Ryan, she kept her thoughts relatively clear on the matter. If they were going to spend their entire day walking without much protection, the web of thoughts they shared didn’t need to be clogged with negativity. Instead, every once in a while, she’d reach out and hold onto his hand. It was grounding, really. It provided her with a sense of security. Grace knew that Ryan would never let anything happen to her. It didn’t mean that fear still sank its fangs into her as they traveled further and further away from the safety of the cabin.

It felt like they had been walking forever. To Grace, anyway. The outdoors wasn’t exactly a place where Grace found herself on a regular basis. The comfort of her home was much more inviting than venturing out into the wilderness. And to top it off? This god forsaken hill they were walking up. Her pale hands held onto the straps of her pack to pull some of the weight forward as she trudged up the hill. By the time they reached the top, she was ready to just lay there on the ground and catch her breath. Maybe adding in a little exercise to her schedule wouldn’t hurt.

“Fuck me..” she sighed quietly, straightening herself up once the peak of the hill had been reached. But then silence fell over her once more as she looked out at the new scene they’d stumbled upon. Her heart felt like it was going to leap out of her chest and tumble back down the hill.

Bodies. Bodies everywhere.

It looked as though a campsite had been completely ransacked. And the campers slain. There was no smoke coming from the fire pit. It didn’t seem like it happened recently. But, Grace had seen enough horror movies to know that she couldn’t just walk through the camp and start examining the bodies to see if there were any survivors.

Is it safe? Her eyes went to Ryan. If anyone was going to know anything, he would. Right?

Gracelynn would wait for an answer from Ryan before she proceeded to walk through the camp with caution. Her hand rested on the gun she had tucked into her waistband, just in case. As she walked around, she looked over the bodies. Not a single one survived. And their wounds… Something bad got to them. Something very bad. It didn’t look like the other bodies back in town.

Grace turned to face Ryan after a few minutes of peeking around. “I don’t think—“ Her words ended with a sharp gasp. Her eyebrows instantly stitched together as pain surged through her body. Tears started forming and leaking over her waterlines as her small hands grabbed at her stomach. Blood started pooling in her mouth as she stood there, in shock. The tears in her eyes blurred her vision as she looked down to examine her hands. As she pulled them away from her shirt, they were covered in red.

“I…” was all she was able to get out as her hands returned to her stomach. The blood was warm against her freezing hands. But something felt…even more off. The ground around her seemed to waver and Grace stumbled as she tried to get back to Ryan. Her hands gripped at her midsection, only causing more pain. It was unbearable. The pain brought her to her knees, blood spilling out from between her lips and oozing through her fingers. Grace lifted her blood-soaked shirt, only to reveal a large gash extending from the right side of her rib cage down to her left hip. It was deep, leaving some areas of intestines exposed. A bloody finger reached up to touch the wound, though it didn’t quite make it before Grace succumbed to the pain.

Her body slumped over into a heap of bloody flesh. Pale, lifeless eyes stared up at the grey skies as the rain continued to drizzle down onto the pack. Blood still poured from her lips, and pooled on the ground underneath her from her midsection. There would be no coming back from this. This was it. This was the end of her story.

And she didn’t even know what happened.

Tarmagon Tarmagon Hope I didn’t go too far ahead! I kinda left the creature a mystery. One of those invisible attacks. Grace is still alive, but barely.

The constant drizzle was an annoyance that Ryan could have done without, since it washed the scents from the air, and the constant drip of water from nearly every surface made a background susurration that wore on his nerves. Being wet didn't really bother him, though he could feel the occasional flash of discomfort from Grace. She was doing her best not to let her physical discomfort color the link between them so that Ryan's senses remained clear, his mind alert, and he was grateful for her efforts. He, Sarah, and Kathy were straining every sense as they moved along, watching, listening, smelling the world around them. What came back to them was the constant rain, noise, and greyness of the day.

“Fuck me..” Grace murmured as they crested a particularly steep hill. Ryan was thinking the same thing, bur for a totally different reason. Ahead lay a camp in ruins, bodies strewn about like discarded dolls mangled by a malicious hand. What disturbed Ryan was there was no scent of decay, no odor or voided bowels despite the evidence in front of him. The blood from the bodies was a black mass on the ground, slowly dissolving and washing away in the steady rain, but he couldn't smell it. In fact, there wasn't any smell at all coming from the camp. No smell of wet tents, wet clothes. It was, strange. Strain his senses though he might, he just couldn't make anything out save what he could see and the rain drumming on the remains of the tents.

Is it safe?

Ryan felt Grace's question in his mind, and he honestly wanted to say NO, running away from this charnel house. But there was nothing to indicate any life in the camp. No detectable warmth to his eyes, no sound of a thudding heartbeat, save those of his companions. Just, nothing.

I don't sense anything...

They moved slowly into the camp, moving apart a bit to examine the wreckage. The bodies were ripped and torn, like the savagery of a berserk werewolf, but the wounds were, wrong. Too deep, too big. Even in battle form, Ryan's massive hands wouldn't be able...

“I don’t think—“ Ryan heard Grace starting to say as she turned from her own investigation, then white-hot agony exploded across Ryan's belly, driving him to his knees. His eyes flashed to Grace, seeing her hands flash to her stomach where a line of red stretched from her ribs on the right side down to her left hip. Blood began to froth from her mouth as her hands grasped at the wound.

"I..." was all she managed to say as she tried to stagger towards Ryan, fresh agony exploding through him as her hands grasped at the wound, her own pain driving her to her knees. Her head cocked to the side as bloody hands pulled away her shirt revealing the deep gash that exposed parts of her body that weren't meant to see the outside world before she toppled sideways her eyes starting to glaze over as her blood continued to pour from her mouth and the gaping wound. As Grace lost consciousness, the agony blasting through Ryan faded, leaving behind a growing sense of distance and looming emptiness that pulled a primal cry of despair from Ryan as he staggered to his feet. Before he could take a step, the air behind Grace, shimmered. A beast the like of which Ryan had never seen seemed to step out of empty air into the middle of the ruined camp. The beast was huge, standing a good ten feet tall, long arms hanging down like a gorilla's, legs bent back like a battle form werewolf, lizard-like skin stretched taut over massive muscles, all topped with a horned head sporting a mouth with far, far too many teeth. Grace's blood dripped from long talons on the beasts right hand until the beast raised its hand to lick the blood off with an impossibly long tongue.

A tremendous roar split the air as Kathy, in full battle rage to match her form, sprang at the beast, even as the wolf that was Sarah rushed around the beast, trying to hamstring the abomination. It reached out, almost casually, and plucked Kathy from the air in mid-leap, cocking its head to one side for a moment before raising its other hand to eviscerate her. Before it could strike, Sarah slashed at the back of its legs with her razor fangs as Kathy's claws ripped at the arm holding her. Sarah flew away with a yelp as the beast kicked back, sending her into a nearby tree, followed by Kathy as it almost casually flung the werewolf away. Ryan found his pistol in his hand at full extension, the reports sounding so close together that the gun seemed to give off one, continuous roar of sound. The silver slugs punched tiny holes in the beast's torso that erupted into momentary spurts of reddish flame before quickly snuffing themselves out.

"Magical construct!" Marissa yelled, even at the beast let out an ear-splitting roar, pawing at the smoldering spots on its body. "Cold iron or decapacitation!"

Marissa looked like she would have said more, but her head snapped up sharply as though she were hearing something, then her hands were moving, a blue glow forming around first her hands, then the entire campsite. Ryan didn't care, because the beast had turned its full attention to him, feet clawing at the ground as it prepared to charge at him. Ryan's mind went white with terror, then red with rage as he realized that the beast would trample Grace's inert form as it charged him. The sword on his back was forgotten as he left the ground in a massive leap, his form shifting nearly instantly into his battle form as he flew. He struck the beast full in the chest before it could take more than a single step, and they went down in a tangle of reptilian skin, fur, and flashing claws.

Kathy slowly pushed herself to her feet, then stared in awe at the fury being unleashed before her. The beast had plucked her from the air with ease, but Ryan seemed to be managing to hold his own, the two twisting and slashing, looking like a tornado of destruction contained within one, single point of chaos. A faint whine pulled her attention away from the swirling madness just long enough to see Sarah stagger to her feet, one leg twisted at an unnatural angle for a moment, before it straightened with a wet snapping noise that elicited a much louder whimper, followed by a low growl as Sarah took in the battle between Ryan and the beast. All either of the women could see was a blur of motion, both combatants moving far too fast for even their enhanced sight to follow. Suddenly, the two practically froze in a macabre tableau. Ryan, bleeding from several horrendous wounds, actually stood astride the beasts shoulders, massive claws sunk into its head as he twisted back and forth, obviously trying to separate the beasts head from its body. Sarah rushed forward, sinking her teeth into the things wrist as it grabbed at Ryan, trying to sweep him off of its shoulders. Kathy didn't hesitate either, scooping up the bush axe from where she had dropped it during her change, and swinging the strongest blow she could muster at the beasts neck. The blade bit deep, and then with a roar that more felt than heard, Ryan ripped upwards, his strength just enough to finish what Kathy's blow had started, pulling the head free from the body. A noisome, black ichor erupted from the neck stump, drenching the entire campground in goo than immediately began to pop and sizzle, turning into a foul smelling mist that began to dissipate as though caught in an unfelt wind.

Ryan was at Grace's prone body in a single bound as the beast collapsed, his eyes frantic as all he could feel through their bond was a rapidly growing sense of... distance. The blood from Grace's wound pooled thick and red all around her body, the flow slowing as more and more of her life pumped from her mangled body with each faltering beat of her heart. Ryan didn't think, didn't hesitate, just took Grace's left hand in his massive paw-hand, and raising her arm to his mouth.

Forgive me.

Razor teeth, set in a jaw fit to snap through 4x4 lumber, closed around Grace's forearm, piercing the skin in several places. Ryan's eyes closed as he drew on all of his remaining strength, and sent the primal wolf that was an integral part of his being, coursing into Grace.

She was dying, she had to be. Grace walked naked through a warm twilight, feeling a gentle tug leading her ahead. The light seemed to be getting a bit brighter as she walked, but she couldn't make out anything but a misty gloom to either side as she walked. She could feel a faint tugging, trying to pull her back the way she had come, but back that direction lay pain, while the gentle tug urging her forward promised that there would be no more pain. A sharp pain in her arm caused Grace to gasp and look down, but her arm was whole, and she returned her attention to the path ahead and froze. A massive black wolf now sat on its haunches, regarding her with intense, yellow eyes.

"You die," echoed through her mind, along with equal parts of loss and, anger?

"I know," Grace said sadly, even as she looked past the wolf to where the light was continuing to brighten. "But I don't have a choice in the matter."

"If you have the strength, you do," the voice said with a matter of fact tone. "Help you. I can. But, pain it will bring. Pain of body, pain of spirit. In return for pain, life, mate."

"How can you help me?" Grace asked, her steps slowing, then stopping as the words registered. She was fairly certain that this was somehow Ryan's wolf, reaching out to her in the realm of the spirit, but how could it help her choose to live? Her attention was pulled back to the wolf as it, shimmered with a white light that grew and grew. For a moment she had to look away, and when the light faded, there were now two wolves, one as black as the night sky, and the other the purest white. The black wolf had a single white mark around one eye, and the white wolf had the same marking in black around the opposite eye.

"Do you wish life? Can you accept our Gift?"

"I do," Grace said without hesitation, then flinched as the white wolf surged towards her jaws open. She didn't even have time to scream before jaws closed around her left leg, searing pain as the teeth went deep followed by a wet snap at the leg broke under the terrible pressure. Grace shrieked her agony as the wolf repeated the process with her right leg, then snapped both of her arms between shoulder and elbow. Despite the blinding agony, she couldn't escape into unconsciousness, even as the wolf opened her belly with surgical precision. Despite the horrendous pain that forced scream after scream from her, she never begged for it to stop, even as the wolf set its teeth on her neck.

"Do you accept the Gift?"

"I.... do..." Grace managed to gasp out of a throat burned raw by screams of pain.

The black wolf rose, and stalked forward silently, looming over Grace as the white wolf retreated a few paces. Grace watched the muzzle lower toward her through eyes streaming tears, but the wolf merely licked the terrible wound on her belly, which closed as though it had never been. The briefest of licks healed shattered arms and legs, then the wolf laid down atop Grace, her, and Grace wasn't certain how she knew the wolf was female, muzzle inches from Grace's face. Grace found her arms moving of their own accord, encircling the body of the wolf and hugging it close. The weight of the wolf began to lessen as its form grew misty, and began to sink into Grace. It should have bee alarming, but instead it was almost as comforting as being in Ryan's arms, warm, protected, safe.

"Safe, I will keep you," a voice said in the depths of Grace's mind. "Safe, we keep Mate, Pack. Together, one. Now, wake. Our Mate needs us."

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Welcome a new Alpha werewolf to the world.)

A white mist had surrounded Grace in this twilight land she had found herself in. The pain was no more. The gash in her belly was gone. The blood that had created such a sticky mess over her body was gone. As she stood there, feeling a tug towards this light before her, her dark waves of hair tickled her bare back. As she took those steps towards the light, towards the promise of no more pain, she felt at peace. But something stopped her from going any further. Green eyes focused on the wolf as she turned her back to the light calling her name.

Everything after that seemed to be much of a blur. The prospect of continuing her life with Ryan and their pack overwhelmed her. She could go back and be with them. Ryan, Kathy, Sarah. There was no questioning it. If that was a possibility, that’s what she was going to do. At this point, it didn’t matter what she had to go through to get there. Ryan. That’s all she could think about as the wolf went about biting and breaking her bones. The pain was indescribable. Pained screams sounded, though it fell on deaf ears. The burning in her throat became something she couldn’t ignore. Her voice was nearly gone as the wolf worked its way around her limbs.

But what kept her focused on the task, was Ryan. That first night she’d met him and promptly inviting him to sleep on her couch. That first electric wave of the moonsong they felt in the diner. The continued growth of that pull keeping them together. God, their wedding! Something that had been thrown together, yet came out so beautifully. Her mind had to block out the pain and focus on the good. Warm memories flooded her mind up until the wolf was moments away from ripping out her throat.

“I… do.. “ was all she could manage, and after that… the pain ended. The wolf licked at her wounds, closing them up and healing them. Slowly, the pain was gone, disappearing and a new warm feeling took over. The black wolf was welcomed as it laid down atop her. Her eyes closed, her arms encircling the animal, until it was no more. Internally, she heard the voice again. It was time to go back to the land of the living. Excitement and happiness overwhelmed her being. Her eyes closed and allowed herself to be pulled back to her physical form.

There was no gasp of air as her soul set up shop back in her body. Eyelids merely blinked rapidly, moistening her eyeballs and washing away the rain water that had collected there. In what felt like no time, the intestines that were once on the outside of her body were sucked back up into her stomach. Her skin was visibly healing right before their eyes, stitching back together until there was nothing left but a silver scar marking up her skin.

Blood still covered her clothes. A coppery taste was left in her mouth. An attempt was made to wipe it away with her tongue, though it wasn’t much help. But suddenly, everything around her was ten times louder. The rain drops bouncing off the tents around them could be counted. The smell of the rain assaulted her nostrils. And that heartbeat… Grace’s green eyes, more fierce than they had been before, shot over to Ryan.

Oh.. Ryan..

Gracelynn could sense his pain, though not physical. It was as if she were experiencing it firsthand. There was no explanation for this, other than what had happened when she had left her body. Mere seconds went by from the moment she had looked at him to when she moved to sit up. Her body did not hurt like she had expected it to. In fact, she felt better than she had before they walked up that hill.

Grace wasted no time in moving to straddle his waist. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she slipped her arms around his neck, holding her body as close as possible to his. Her face buried in the crook of his neck as quiet, happy, sobs sounded. It took her a moment, but eventually she pulled back enough to wipe the blood from her mouth and plant her lips on his. The surge between them felt like a train running full force into a brick wall. In the best way possible.

Something had changed between them. Gracelynn wasn’t sure what had happened while she was out of her body, but she wasn’t complaining. The feelings she had toward Ryan beforehand had simply been amplified. His touch, his smell, his everything. When she was on his lap, only he mattered. Sure, Kathy and Sarah were there in the back of her mind. But his presence drowned out everything else around them. It didn’t matter that the rain was picking up, or that she could smell the shampoo Kathy used. Her focus was on Ryan. Right now, it was an extremely intimate moment. Her new life was just beginning. And she had no idea what to do with it. For now, all she needed was him.

Well.. Mostly.

A loud grumble could be heard from between them. Grace’s lips finally left Ryan’s as a small laugh slipped into the silence between them. “Baby,” she spoke, resting her forehead against his, “I am… starving..”

Tarmagon Tarmagon Emotions are high.

Marissa sagged as the werewolf trio managed to destroy the magical construct. It had taken so much out of her... Grace! Her eyes darted to Grace's prone from, only to see the limp body cradled in Ryan's arms, his teeth buried in her arm. As she watched, a wave of, something seemed to wash from Ryan, into Grace, and back into Ryan. Marissa could feel Kathy and Sarah moving up beside her, both shifting back to human form as they watched in wonder as the midnight black fur coving Ryan seemed to ripple, then change to a pelt of purest white, marred only by a single spot of black surrounding his right eye. Even as the change registered, Ryan's body shifted, going from hybrid to human in the blink of an eye. His eyes were unfocussed, staring at Grace as her body seemed to shimmer momentarily with a dark glow, then her eyes opened, even as the terrible gash on her stomach began to close with preternatural speed, even for a werewolf. Ryan's own wounds were closing as well, vanishing as though they had never been, but he seemed not to notice. All of his world was the slim form in his arms.

Ryan twitched as Grace abruptly sat up, his eyes starting to regain their focus, the awareness of her presence beginning to penetrate his fear, then suddenly she was astride him, pressing her body against his as though she wanted to become a part of him as gentle sobs emerged from where her face was buried against him. It seemed like forever, but was probably mere moments before she was pulling away to wipe blood from her mouth before fastening her lips to his. Ryan's world twisted, surging and rocking as the Bonds between them seemed to expand, to double and redouble, burning away the world until it was just the two of them. The rain, the muddy ground under them, their companions seemed far away and insignificant, even as the scent of Kathy's shampoo registered on them, Sarah's hammering heart, Marissa's exhausted panting. Noted, discarded. They were. It was....

A loud grumbling noise erupted between them, and Ryan became acutely aware of hunger, even as Grace pulled away from the kiss with a small laugh.

“Baby,” she spoke, resting her forehead against his, “I am… starving..”

Ryan stared at Grace for a moment, then began to chuckle. The chuckle quickly turned into full-throated laughter as his arms closed around Grace, holding her tight as he surged to his feet. For just a moment he twirled her around and around, then he set her down with a sigh of regret. Stepping back, he became aware of his nakedness, as well as that of Kathy and Sarah.

"Well," he said, trying to sound casual. "I think that we should have food in the pack, if we can find it that is. Things got a little, hectic when..." he couldn't continue, just reaching out to hug Grace to him fiercely for a long moment before managing to continue.

"Anyway, myself, Kathy, and Sarah could do with new clothing, then we can find the food.

Grace was already pulling the pack from her back, somehow it had survived her encounter with the beast, and examined it before tossing it aside with a grimace of distaste. The pack was soaked with blood, and undoubtedly the clothing inside as well.

"That's not good," Ryan said, letting his gaze sweep over the ruined camp. "I hate to rob the dead, but we don't have a choice. Let's check the tents for anything salvageable in the way of clothing."

Ryan supposed it would have looked odd to anyone watching to see three naked people rummaging around the ruins of a campsite in the rain, but he couldn't muster up a single damn to give. Grace was back with him, a constant presence humming away in the back of his mind. He could feel her amusement at his attempts to avoid glancing at Kathy and Sarah as they moved about the campsite, as well as the fierce possessiveness whenever one of the other women glanced his way. He could also feel her absolute certainty that he was hers and she was his, not matter who or what he saw, which helped contribute to her amusement.

Eventually they were all clothed, after a fashion. Ryan sported a pair of shorts and a camo shirt only a couple of sizes too small. Sarah was clad in a bikini bottom and a sweatshirt so large it fit her slight form like a dress. Kathy had actually managed to find both pants and a flannel shirt in her size, and Marissa had recovered enough to find their dropped packs. By unspoken consent, they moved away from the camp, taking refuge under a massive fir tree that shed most of the rain before opening the packs and breaking out their supplies.

"Grace?" Sarah said tentatively as they shared out their food, "What happened? I, feel your presence so much stronger than before.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (They know, but they don't know fully.)

Last edited:
The moment their bodies were reunited things went off like fireworks for Grace. She couldn't explain it in her own words, but it felt... perfect. Everything was exactly how it needed to be. They were where they were supposed to be. The joining of their lips drowned out everything around them. A fog had been surrounding them for those precious moments, in the most profound ways. For a split second, it was just them, floating through space and time. The world around them was dark. Just the two of them. Together. Her body conformed to his, their arms around each other, their lips meshed. If she could have melted I to his skin, she would have.

The time did not last long enough before hunger washed over her and ruined their reunion. Grace wanted nothing more than to be with Ryan. But the pains in her stomach were growing stronger and stronger as the time passed. It couldn't be ignored. Before she could have said another word, Ryan's laughter filled the air around them and she was scooped up with him as he stood, her legs still wrapped around his waist as he spun her around. In this very moment, it didn't even matter that she was coated in her own blood and he was naked as a bluejay. Giggles erupted from Grace, joining in on his laughter in a harmonious song.

Even then, as she was finally placed on her feet before him, he had pulled her into a hug once more. She didn't have to imagine what went on in his head. It was as if she were feeling it firsthand. The joy of having her back, the love he felt for her. It was all there. It never faltered. Her wet hands came up to grab either side of his face to pull him down to her level, her lips pressing against his once more.

"Clothes, then food. Got it." Her hands remained on his cheeks for a beat, her eyes looking into his. There was an understanding between them, without any words being spoken. Grace was a part of him, just as he was a part of her. Their lives were forever entwined now. There was no escaping the other, no guessing as to how the other was feeling. It was all just... there.

As she released him, she took off into the camp. The sound of her boots squishing the mud underneath her was highly distracting at first, but she adjusted well. Her eyes would glance over at Ryan periodically, though it was unnecessary. His thoughts were hers, and hers his. She didn't need to see to know what was happening. But it did raise some internal laughter every time a glanced was exchanged between him and Kathy or Sarah. There were no questions where the loyalty laid. Absolutely none.

Stripping off the flannel she was wearing, she rummaged through a backpack in a tent. There, she found a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt. Thank the heavens. And now that she wasn't just a mere human, she didn't need to worry about being cold. Before, she was already feeling the bite of the lower temperatures nipping at her skin as they walked, dampened by the rain. Now? The shorts wouldn't even be an issue.

After using a blanket to wipe off most of the blood on her sides, belly, and back, she changed into the new outfit. Everything was too big. The shorts were barely hanging on her hips, and the t-shirt belonged to a man. Or, used to. Grace tied a knot in the bottom hem at her hip so the shirt didn't go mistaken as a dress or nightgown.

Once the pack was reunited under the fir tree, Gracelynn sat down on the ground and impatiently waited for a morsel of food. Just the smell of it alone was igniting a primal urge to just devour everything insight. It took a lot of restraint to wait for the food to be handed out. But once that food was in her hands? All pleasantries went out the window. She scarfed down food as quickly as it was handed, up until Sarah asked her a question.

Her eyes shot up from the food in her hands to the woman across from her. The growls sounded not in her stomach, but in her head, at the pause between bites. The wolf was not happy.

Taking a quick bite, Grace gave a small shrug of her shoulder. "Well.. A lot of weird shit, actually," she answered, her hand coming up to cover her mouth, which was full of half-chewed food. After she swallowed, she lowered her hand and looked it over briefly. In the blink of an eye, it warped and turned into the hand of a hybrid. Her fingers elongated and transformed, nails growing rapidly. The dark fur was something she'd have to get used to. As she flexed her fingers, a smile grew on her lips and she looked up at Sarah.

"And, now I can do this." As quickly as it had come on, it was gone and her hand was back to normal. It didn't even take much thought. She surprised herself, really. Her eyes glanced to Ryan with a loving look. If it weren't for him, she wouldn't be here right now. The moment didn't last long as she shoveled more food into her mouth.

"I thought I was dead, to be honest. I was just.. walking along and then," she shrugged her shoulders as she spoke. "I was stopped by two wolves." Another bite of food was quickly taken in between her words.

"I made a deal with the devil, I guess." A smile was still present on her lips. "Not mad, though. Rather happy." A hand extended out and rested on Ryan's knee. She couldn't be happier with where she was.

Tarmagon Tarmagon (Grace is still a little overwhelmed by it all. It hasn't sank in yet.)

"I've been called a lot of things in my life," Ryan said with a chuckle at Grace's words, "But never the devil. I suppose this is where I'm supposed to let out an evil laugh and say your soul is mine. But I think we both know the reality there. Marissa, what WAS that thing? I could barely pierce its hide, and it moved fast enough to grab a full grown werewolf out of the air in mid leap. If it hadn't been for the, supercharging, Grace give me, I don't think I could have matched its speed. It was as fast as an Elder Vampire. Heck, it might have been faster than Franklin."

"Magical construct," Marissa said immediately. The witch was visibly sagging after her magical exertions back at the campsite, but she seemed to be recovering fairly quickly. "The body would have been composed of solidified ectoplasm, and it would have been puppeted by a familiar spirit, although given its appearance, I'd say more likely it was being controlled by a summoned demonic spirit."

"Ectoplasm?" Sarah asked, her voice full of doubt. "Like the stuff in Ghostbusters?"

"They didn't get it quite right in the movie," Marissa said, a wry smile crossing her lips for a moment. "But they did get it pretty close. I doubt that even a minor godling could have animated enough ectoplasm to form the Marshmallow Man. That was creative license on the writers part."

"Waitaminute!" Sarah exclaimed. "Ghostbusters was real?"

"Sort of," Marissa replied. "They changed enough of the details to make it funny. It wasn't funny when it happened. And it didn't happen in New York."

"Ahem," Ryan cleared his throat pointedly. They were getting pretty far afield from their own problems. Sarah immediately blushed slightly, though the look she sent to Marissa said she would be asking a LOT of questions of the witch. That was fine, just later. "So, that thing didn't show up to any of my senses. It was obviously cloaked somehow, though the whatever it was that was hiding it also messed with the environment around it. Sounds and smells were muted or missing. So, we move on higher alert. If something doesn't look, sound, or smell right, or doesn't sound or smell at all, we have to assume that there's something waiting to ambush us. Marissa, ideas?"

"Well," Marissa said, obviously gathering her thoughts, "The cloak seems to have created a 'dead zone' to all senses. The actual cloak was pretty small, what you were sensing was probably bleed over effects. It you had the time, one person could stay still, and another move around in a large circle. Eventually they'd pass behind the cloak, and the sound and smell deadening would alert you to an active cloak. I, could probably detect one, but the act of doing so would be like sending up a magical flare. I was able to prevent the construct from reporting our presence to its creator, but it took a lot out of me."

"Ryan?" Kathy asked. "Except in a direct transfusion case like Sarah, doesn't the one being offered the Change have to accept before being bitten? Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy that Grace is still with us! But, how? She was unconscious. How could she accept?"

"I think that our Bond made it possible for her to accept in the land between death and life," Ryan said thoughtfully. "Given what she described and the little I felt it's the only thing that makes sense. Marissa, was this a trap aimed at us, or was it just bad luck on our part?"

"I'd say bad luck," Marissa replied immediately. "Anyone finding a campsite like this would investigate, giving the thing more prey. It's not so far out of town that hikers are impossible. And if someone were heading towards the Cascades and avoiding town, this is the logical path."

"Damn," Ryan said. "We brought food based on hiking, not recovering werewolves. The larder is now officially bare in our packs, so... continue or turn back? I personally think we should press on, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. Thoughts?"

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Forward or backward?)

The words floated around Grace’s head, though they didn’t really stand out. The chat between Marissa and Sarah didn’t land on deaf ears, but her mind wasn’t focused on that specifically. In fact, even the discussion about what had attacked them ran through her head in the same manner. All Grace could focus on was the insatiable hunger gnawing at her stomach. As the chatter continued, Gracelynn kept eating. The words weren’t being retained on her own. Ryan’s brain seemed to be doing all the work there. She heard what was being said in real time, but when it came to the point of processing, it was all Ryan. Gracelynn’s eyes didn’t even leave the food in her hands.

That was, until Kathy brought up Grace’s Change. Pale green eyes looked up from her lap, her fingers in her mouth sucking every last calorie off her skin. In all honesty, Gracelynn didn’t have a clue how the Change normally went about. This instance was quite extreme, and she and Ryan already shared a bond much more rare than all the others out there. Or so she assumed. Ryan’s words echoed in her head, her memories coming back from that time she’d spent in Limbo.

“That’s exactly what happened,” she answered, her eyes flickering up to Ryan before falling back on Kathy. It didn’t take much effort as Grace sent a glimpse into the vacation she’d just returned from. She left out the part where she was bitten and broken down, and simply shared the blissful moment of the black wolf taking its home in her. She shared her memories of laying there, after she had been healed, where the wolf offered comfort. It was a warm feeling. It traveled along the bond to Sarah, Kathy, and Ryan. Honesty would keep them strong. She intended to dig deeper on this, possibly later. Bigger things were at hand now.

Gracelynn shifted as she sat on the ground next to Ryan, her body keeping close to his. The threat was gone, but it didn’t mean there wasn’t any residual trauma from dying and coming back. Although not much time had passed, she’d missed Ryan in those moments. If the wolf hadn’t presented itself, she would be well into the afterlife right now. While grateful, she still needed a little extra comfort from the one who shared the greatest of bonds with her.

“I think our best bet is to push forward,” she started, glancing around the group to gauge reactions. Habit, really. She could feel whatever they felt on the situation. “Yes, our pack is pretty low on food.. But we can hunt, yeah? I mean, werewolves and all.” She gave a soft shrug of her shoulder. “The wildlife doesn’t seem too effected by what’s going on. We’re already halfway. And we cooked a lot of the perishable food back at the cabin. It doesn’t make sense to turn around now.” Grace looked up to Ryan, finding his strength admirable. She was his, and he was hers.

“Besides, if we go back, we’re giving whoever created the construct the upper hand. They could create something much bigger, and stronger, if given the chance. We leave now…” She looked back out at their small pack. “We can possibly get there before they get a chance to have a back up waiting for us.” Generally, Gracelynn would have gone in with whatever Ryan said. This time felt different. She felt more confident in her ability to give her insight on the situation. She felt… more like a leader. These people depended on them. They had to make the best decision for the group. There were no other options when it came to that.

Tarmagon Tarmagon (Grace is wanting to press forward)

Ryan had been fairly certain that his guess about what had happened was fairly close, but he hadn't expected Grace to share part of the experience over the Pack Bond. He could tell there was more to the event than Grace was sharing, but that was only because of their incredibly close Bond. Sarah and Kathy wouldn't know, and Ryan wouldn't pry. Those memories were for Grace and Grace alone. Being a born were, Ryan had always had the wolf spirit within him, and had never undergone the kind of merge that Grace had. It was, intense. He rather doubted Sarah had undergone anything like that, since her lycanthropy was the result of a transfusion, not a deliberate act to pass on the Gift.

“I think our best bet is to push forward,” Grace was saying. “Yes, our pack is pretty low on food.. But we can hunt, yeah? I mean, werewolves and all. The wildlife doesn’t seem too effected by what’s going on. We’re already halfway. And we cooked a lot of the perishable food back at the cabin. It doesn’t make sense to turn around now. Besides, if we go back, we’re giving whoever created the construct the upper hand. They could create something much bigger, and stronger, if given the chance. We leave now… We can possibly get there before they get a chance to have a back up waiting for us.”

"Makes sense to me," Ryan said, smiling at Grace's newfound confidence. "So, we move ahead, but first... Grace, you need to take off your rings. If you had transformed the wrong hand you would have lost a finger. We could have re-attached it, but it really, really hurts. I don't know what we can do about your amulet..."

"I've got that Ryan," Marissa said, rising from her seat by the trunk of the tree and moving to stand in front of Grace. She reached out to where the leather holding Grace's amulet was just visible, laying her index finger on it. There was a brief flare of blue light, and Marissa sighed, swaying for a moment before standing up straight.

"There," she said, satisfaction evident in her voice. "The leather will shift when Grace does. You could thread your rings onto the thong until you can get proper werewolf rings made."

"Thanks Marissa," Ryan said. "So from here on out, we're following a hostile territory drill. Kathy, you know this are the best, and are the most experienced wolf besides me. You Change and move ahead of us, about 100 yards or so. Anything, and I do mean anything, doesn't seem right, alert us. Grace, I know your senses are going to take some getting used to, but I'd like you to take the forward right position, while I take forward left. Marissa a little behind us, and Sarah in the drag position. Heads on a swivel, and don't forget to look up. We know this enemy used flying scouts, and this weather will favor them, not us."

Ryan paused, looking around their little group, then nodded.

"I'm always willing to listen, so if anyone has any ideas or objections, speak now or we're hitting the trail as soon as we clean up."

readysetstalk readysetstalk (I don't have any more encounters planned until after they reach the cabin, but if you have any ideas, please feel free.)

It wasn’t set in stone, as to why she felt so confident, but Grace had an inkling that it had to do with the wolf within her. The wolf that was once in Ryan had split into two, sharing its other half with Grace. That had to be it. It wasn’t something she had time to ask about, however, so she didn’t dwell on the subject. Instead, she listened intently to everything that was being said. Not like she had much of a choice. She could hear the beating of every single person’s heart right now. How in the world did they go about this every day and not lose their minds? Questions for another time.

Grace’s eyes cast down at the rings on her finger. She couldn’t help but laugh quietly. “I imagine that would probably be a bit of a bummer, huh?” Her fingers wiggled playfully before she pulled them off. A spark of sadness pulsed through her as the metal finally left her hand, but it was quickly replaced with much happier feelings when Marissa came over. Once she was done, she quickly pulled off the amulet and slid the rings onto the leather. It was replaced shortly after around her neck, her fingertips coming up to touch the small collection carefully.

“I think that settles it then, yeah?” Gracelynn’s hand had clasped over Ryan’s as he spoke, her fingers easily lacing in between his. The fear that she once felt was gone. Vanished. Every thought and feeling that Ryan felt, she felt. He was confident in his words, and so was she. There was no reason to believe he wouldn’t be capable of leading their pack. He was strong, and brave, and would do anything he needed to keep everyone safe. And Grace would be there right by his side the entire time.

Gracelynn was still hungry, but she knew they were limited on food. She would have to wait until later. They needed to get moving. Right now they were sitting ducks, just waiting for something to happen to them. She gave a gentle squeeze to Ryan’s hand before bringing it to her lips and pressing them against his knuckles. Her eyes met his, life and happiness finally showing through those green irises. These past few days had been rough on her. Now she felt invincible.

Pulling herself up to her feet, she soon turned to face Ryan, holding out her other hand. As if he actually needed her help getting up.. Their honeymoon had quickly gone downhill. Right now she was trying to get as much contact with him as she could, without starting something inappropriate in front of the rest of the pack.

“We should probably follow the tree line as much as possible, right?” She asked, starting to clean up and pack up the packs as best she could. At least they were lighter in weight now.

Tarmagon Tarmagon I’ve got nothing planned. Just Grace testing out the new meat suit she’s got. Lol.

“I think that settles it then, yeah?” Grace asked, giving Ryan's hand a quick squeeze and kiss. She rose to her feet, offering him her hands to help him up. It wasn't that he needed the help, but he accepted with a smile, noting that even if he hadn't helped, Grace's newfound strength could have pulled him upright with ease. The rest of their little Pack followed Grace's example, though there really wasn't much to re-pack.

“We should probably follow the tree line as much as possible, right?” Grace said as she closed the pack she had been working on.

"I don't think we're going to have a lot of choice," Ryan said, glancing at the dense forest ahead of them. "But whenever we do come to a clearing, you are absolutely correct. Kathy?"

At Ryan's question, Kathy quickly stripped out of the clothing she had found, passing the fabric to Sarah, who placed it into the other pack they had managed to salvage. In moments Kathy stood before them, naked as a jaybird, then her form began to shift. Her transformation was smooth and quick, though not as fast as Ryan could shift now that he and Grace were Bonded. He imagined that Grace's transformation would be just as rapid, which made him smile. While his mind had wandered, Kathy had finished her Change, the tawny wolf giving itself a shake before bounding over to Grace and delivering a sloppy lick to one of her bare legs before bounding off into the forest.

"All clear."

The feeling that came over the Pack Bond wasn't quite words, but there was no

mistaking the meaning. It wasn't the actual sharing of words that he shared with Grace, but it was so close as not to matter. From the startled look on Grace's face, she had gotten the same message. Good.

"I think that's our cue," Ryan said, stepping out from under the tree and back into the Goddess-forsaken drizzle.

"We're moving," he sent along the Bond, feeling Kathy's assent. He could sense her general location as she ranged out ahead of them, sweeping back and forth along the path that they had outlined. Grace slipped through the underbrush with a newfound , grace... Ryan chuckled at his own thoughts. There was no denying that her movements were more fluid, more sure-footed. Ryan could tell she was still working to control her increased senses, but nothing showed outwardly as they moved in perfect synch through the forest in Kathy's wake. Despite her magical exertions, Marissa maintained pace with the werewolves for the next hour before Ryan could sense her flagging energy in her increasingly labored heartbeat and breathing.

"Marissa needs a break" he sent, feeling Kathy's acknowledgement flow back along the Bond.

"Take five," Ryan said aloud. There was no handy fir tree here, but the canopy was thick overhead. They would be okay for a few minutes. Marissa didn't exactly heave a sigh of relief, but she sagged against a nearby tree trunk. Ryan could see her shivering, and her already pale skin was nearly chalk white, her lips taking on a faint tinge of blue. The wet, chill weather was taking its toll on the witch, and while Ryan was certain that she could throw off the effect with magic, she wasn't doing so. Marissa caught Ryan looking intently as her and shrugged.

"A little chilly," she said, her teeth chattering just a bit. "Don't want to announce our presence by using magic to warm myself. I should be okay if we get to the cabin within another hour..."

Ryan didn't like the way her shivers were increasing. Now that they weren't moving, the chill was setting in in earnest. This wasn't good. A fire was out. Too much chance of attracting attention with an open flame, besides most of the wood was soaked. Glancing around, Ryan spotted the trunk of a tree lying on the forest floor. It was easily three feet across, and he moved to it, carefully sticking a hand under one edge. Dry. This could work.

"Grace, help me move this please." he said, hooking his hands under the trunk. In a moment she was there, and the trunk rolled easily aside under their ministrations, revealing a significant patch of dry ground.

"I hope you're open-minded," he sent to Grace along their personal Bond. "But I think it's time for our first threesome."

Ryan felt outrage for just the briefest moment, followed by mental laughter as his plan and intent flowed across the Bond.

"Marissa, lay down on the dry ground please," Ryan said, slipping out of his shirt and shorts. Before Marissa could look at him, Ryan had Changed, but something was, different. Where his fur had been the black of a moonless night, it was now a snowy white, marred only by a single circle of black around one eye. Marissa looked a question at him, even as she did as he had asked. Once she was prone on the dry section of ground, Ryan padded over, settling himself along her back. He could feel her tense, then relax as the heat of his body began to sink into her. This could work.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Ryan sent Grace an image of them both in wolf form stretched out by Marissa, warming her with their bodies. He would like Grace to warm Marissa's front. Whether or not Grace agrees and remembers to remove her clothing is up to you. I hope her little mental reaction is ok. If not, I can edit.)

It didn’t take long for them to gather the few items salvaged from the attack, and then the need of food afterwards. There was still a slight ache to Grace’s stomach, but she wouldn’t be selfish and eat more. Dying was no joke. And she preferred to not have to do that again for quite some time. The mental and physical toll was wearing on her. Thankfully, Ryan was still sound. She gained her strength from their bond, siphoning some of his motivation to keep going.

The weather wasn’t favorable, but now that she wasn’t a measly human, it was much more tolerable. Her body temperature was much higher which helped keep the chill away. Once again, her clothing was soaked from head to toe. This time it didn’t bother her, though. The hair that was once neatly up in a bun now stuck to her face and neck as they walked. There was no need to talk. Everything she needed to know was presented to her along her bond with Ryan. And somehow, they were able to keep a separate tether to each other outside of Kathy and Sarah. Grace was picking up quickly how all of this was working.

Marissa’s heartbeat sounded like drums in her ears the entire time they walked. It was hard to focus on much else, though Grace persevered. It wasn’t until it was getting louder and faster that she shot a glance over to Ryan. And he made the call. While he took her under the trees, she stayed back to see Kathy and Sarah both return without danger. Once they were confirmed fine, she made her way back to Ryan, who was calling her for help. No problem. She was on it. Not even a shimmer of doubt hit her as her small hands grasped the wood. This new strength? She could handle that.

I hope you're open-minded," he sent to Grace along their personal Bond. "But I think it's time for our first threesome."

Her perfectly shaped eyebrows had pulled together for an instant before the rest of the information was conveyed. Right. They could Change into big furry wolves to keep Marissa warm. That’s what he meant. A smirk appeared on her lips as she shook her head at him.

Those green eyes of hers were glued onto Ryan as he stripped out of his wet clothes. Her cheeks still flushed when she saw him. And thankfully, she was able to keep those naughty thoughts off the Pack Bond and strictly on the personal bond she shared with Ryan. The whole Pack thing during their honeymoon was a bit of blockage.

With a small clear of her throat, Gracelynn pulled off her top and laid it on the trunk. But before she could even get to unbuttoning her pants, the simple thought of having to Change for the first time caused the transformation to happen in an instant. The shorts she’d been wearing were torn to shreds in a matter of seconds. There was hardly anything left of them as the wolf took form. Her hands were replaced with the blackest set of paws, feet the same. As she stood before them, the black fur covered every inch of her being, aside from the white circular patch over her eye, opposite of Ryan’s.

Confidence was beaming from Grace as she followed suit to Ryan’s lead. She came up to where Marissa and Ryan laid. She sniffed at Marissa’s hair briefly before giving a quick lick to Ryan’s snout. Moments later, her new form settled in next to Marissa’s, covering her front with her body. It took her a moment to find a position that was both comfortable and efficient for keeping the witch warm. But once she was settled? Her eyes closed and a soft sigh escaped her snout. Maybe taking a break wasn’t so bad.

Tarmagon Tarmagon (Totally okay! And she’s learning, but things are apparently coming easier for her than they normally would. Shorts are long gone now. At least she still has a shirt.)

Ryan felt Grace begin to drift off. He wasn't surprised that now that they weren't moving, she was tired. The amount of food had been, adequate for survival, but to heal the wounds she had suffered? They needed more, and they'd need it fairly soon. Hopefully the cabin would have some supplies, especially since Sarah said it was regularly used. They could only...

A tinge of excitement drifted along the Pack bond, pulling Ryan back to the here and now. It only took a moment to understand that it wasn't danger, but what? Ah! Another wave of excitement drifted to Ryan along the Pack bond as the scent of deer hit Kathy's nose. A small herd had crossed her path, recently enough that the scent hadn't been washed out of the air by the incessant rain. Under most circumstances, Ryan wouldn't hesitate, calling on the Pack to hunt together, but these weren't normal circumstances. They had Marissa, and Grace was in no condition... Reassurance came from Kathy, even as Ryan felt her turn to follow the scent trail. She could handle this. Ryan was sure that she could, if they hadn't been effectively in hostile territory.

"I'll go watch her back," Sarah said softly. "I can Change and join her in less than two minutes. I need the experience, and she can concentrate on hunting if I hang back and cover. If there's something out there that we can't handle, I'm sure you and Grace will come pull us out of the fire."

Sarah only had a couple of voluntary Changes under her belt, but she hadn't had any issues whatsoever. Kathy had the experience, and despite her youth in years and being a werewolf, Sarah had a good head on her shoulders. And they needed the meat, desperately. Ryan raised his head, staring straight into Sarah's eyes before nodding slowly. Sarah instantly dropped the ill-fitting clothing she had scrounged, then closed her eyes. If her transformation was nowhere near as quick as Grace's had been, it was as smooth and took less than thirty seconds. The young wolf shook herself, then turned slowly until she was facing the direction Ryan's bond told him Kathy was stalking slowly ahead. Her eyes gleaming with excitement, Sarah loped off into the grey forest, vanishing in moments.

Keeping his senses on the woods around the three of them, Ryan allowed his mind to drift along with Kathy and Sarah. It took Sarah less than two minutes to find Kathy, and he could feel the younger wolf's excitement as she scented the deer Kathy was following. He could also feel Kathy's stern rejoinder to pay attention to their surroundings and not be distracted. A noise that wasn't quite a growl or a chuckle rumbled in Ryan's chest. He remembered how hard it was to contain himself on his first hunt. He felt Sarah's silent assent, then the two were moving through the forest on silent paws, the scent getting fresher, stronger. There. The faintest trace of heat, just visible through the trees ahead. The stalk was beginning in earnest, and Kathy flicked an ear at Sarah, who dropped back, her senses scouring the forest for any threat while Kathy slid forward, practically crawling on her belly as more warm shapes appeared. The herd was fairly small, no more than four does following a large buck.

Kathy's eyes locked on the buck, and Ryan felt her muscles begin to bunch and tense as she waited for her moment. For a moment Ryan wondered if any of the hunt was making it through to Grace's sleeping mind, but then Kathy was airborne, her massive frame crashing into the buck, driving it down even as her bear-trap jaws closed on the back of its neck. A quick twist and shake, and the buck went limp, dead before it had the chance to feel more than a moments fear and certainly little pain. The other deer scattered in panic, and he could feel Sarah starting to follow, instincts over-riding her reason until a sharp growl from Kathy brought her up short, chagrined. Ryan could feel Kathy Changing, assuming her two legged form which lifted the buck into the air as a razor claw slit its throat. Even as the blood drained away, the claw flashed again, opening the body and allowing the entrails to spill out. It only took a few seconds for Kathy to extract the heart and liver, consuming half of each with massive bites before setting the remainder down in front of Sarah. For an instant Sarah hesitated, Ryan feeling the mild revulsion at the raw meat, but then her head dipped, the lumps of meat vanishing under flashing teeth. Ryan felt it all, even as his senses scanned constantly, cataloging every scent, every sound around himself, Grace and Marissa.

It was less than five minutes later when Sarah, ranging slightly ahead of Kathy to clear her path, loped back into their impromptu camp. Kathy followed less than a minute later, her hybrid form easily carrying the buck. She set her kill down, then her claws were flashing, quartering the carcass, and extracting the loins from the back. The loins were quickly wrapped in one of the food wrappers they had policed up, then Kathy reverted to full wolf form, one of the quarters in front of her. Sarah was already worrying away at her section, obviously having overcome her momentary qualms about raw meat. Ryan reached out gently with his mind, prodding Grace to wakefulness.

"Hungry?" he asked, pointing to one of the remaining deer quarters with his nose.

readysetstalk readysetstalk (I wonder how much of that Grace felt while sleeping. And will she think twice about eating.)

Back into the abyss.

The exhausted mind and body finally fell victim to some much needed sleep. It was impossible to say, but Gracelynn felt as though her insides were eating themselves. The hunger had only grown stronger as they had walked. The ability to suppress it from the pack had made it easier to move along. But Ryan? Grace was almost positive that he was feeling the same hunger pangs she was feeling. It was as if they were one being, in two separate bodies. As they moved, she could almost feel the grass crunch under his feet. It had to be a two-way road. The pains she felt were likely to give way to Ryan, allowing him to feel exactly how she felt.

But now she gave in to sleep. Marissa needed to rest. It was the perfect excuse. Grace didn't want the Pack to know just how tired and hungry she was. It would cause concern that wasn't necessary right now. Getting to the cabin in one piece, as a full Pack, was the priority. That's what they needed. As her heart rate slowed, and her breathing leveled out, she found herself standing in that familiar place she'd just been.

Limbo.

The place between life and death. The fog rolled in around her ankles, slowly rising up towards her hips, as she stood there stark naked. Silence would have been more calming. Instead, she was faced with a gentle hum. It wasn't the same hum that she'd heard and felt when she and Ryan had first discovered each other. It was different. It was still welcoming, but different. Just as two wolves began approaching her, like they had before, the fog was blown away in an instant.

Next she stood in the middle of field, surrounded by trees so tall she couldn't see the tops. Still naked, she watched as Kathy and Sarah encroached on the small herd of deer. They didn't see her or sense her, but she was there, as natural as she was the day she came earth-side. Her long dark hair fell in loose ringlets down her back, and over the curves of her chest. Her pale skin held a warm glow, almost radiating warmth. Those gentle green eyes watched as Kathy took down the buck. A small smile twitched as she watched Sarah start to go after another, Kathy reeling her back in gently--much like a mother with a toddler.

No movements had been made, but Grace floated along the field behind the two of them. It was only moments before they entered the area where they'd made up camp that entire scene before her dissipated to black.

"Hungry?"

That voice. Ryan. Her Ryan. It echoed through her unconscious mind until her eyes opened, her pupils adjusting quickly to the sunlight. Slowly, her head raised and she peered over to Ryan, making a quick stop on Marissa.

"Starving," she answered. Her gaze drifted back to Marissa before she rose up carefully. Grace stretched out her new figure before going over to one of the quarters left for her. The black snout she now sported twitched as the aroma of blood and meat filled her nostrils. There was not an ounce of hesitation from Grace as she picked up the piece of meat and carried it back over to where she'd been laying before. She dropped it down in front of Ryan. "Eat." Her eyes met with his briefly before she leaned in slightly and brushed her nose along his jaw. If their goal was to keep Marissa warm, she'd follow through and allow him to eat as well. The remaining quarter was brought back to where she'd laid.

Grace settled in next to Marissa yet again before she allowed herself to bite into the meat. She was careful as to not cause too much movement as to wake the sleeping witch. The second that meat finally hit her stomach, a wave of relief and happiness washed over both the Pack bond and the Soul bond. She was incapable of keeping it under control in the time being. Gracelynn had been starving. Now there was a bit of food filling that empty stomach and replenishing the energy she'd lost. It wasn't a lot, and it wasn't enough, but she'd make it. Hopefully.

It wasn't long before there wasn't much left of the deer quarter. Licking at her mouth, Grace laid her head back down around Marissa. She wasn't sure how long the witch would need to recover, but Gracelynn wasn't opposed to another nap.

Tarmagon Tarmagon ((Grace had her first vivid dream. Nightmares are likely to follow in the coming days. ))

"Starving," echoed back along the Bond as Grace roused from her nap. Ryan watched as Grace rose, taking care not to disturb Marissa, who had fallen asleep at some point, then stretched mightily before trotting over and picking up one of the remaining deer quarters. What he hadn't expected was for her to bring it over to where he still lay beside Marissa. Her admonition to "Eat" coupled with a quick nuzzle both surprised and pleased him, and his eyes were warm as he watched Grace return to claim the final chunk of deer, bringing it back and laying carefully beside Marissa before devoting herself fully to her meal. Grace ate neatly, keeping her movements small so as not to disturb the sleeping witch between them, but the pleasure and relief radiating over the Bonds they shared made Ryan shudder in reaction. Kathy and Sarah looked up from their own meals, tongues lolling out in wolfish laughter before returning to the venison in front of them.

Despite eating carefully to avoid disturbing Marissa, Grace finished her meal in record time. Ryan could feel her hunger still lingering below the surface, but she seemed well. Well enough to close her eyes and drift back to sleep with a speed that should have alarmed Ryan, but he knew Grace had been through trauma fit to destroy a lesser will. They needed to move on , but a few extra minutes wouldn't hurt anything, and it would give Marissa a little more rest while he, Kathy, and Sarah finished their impromptu lunch. All too soon the deer had been reduced to clean bones, and for a moment Ryan considered breaking the leg bones to get at the marrow inside, but shook his head as he considered the force required and the noise the splintering bones would make. Not this time.

It was impossible to tell the passage of time through the thick cloud cover, but Ryan guessed about half an hour had passed since they had finished their meal, and he reluctantly prodded at Grace's sleeping mind even as he used his nose to wake the dozing witch.

"We need to move on. It feels like the weather is going to turn for the worse.

As Marissa squeaked and flinched away from the dampness of his nose, Ryan rose smoothly, locating his clothes, soggy, and moving over to them. He shifted to his human form smoothly, pulling on his clothing before Marissa was awake enough to look around properly. The clothes were cold and clammy, but his metabolism could handle the chill with ease. Scooping up the packs, Ryan looked at the rest of their little group as the wolves stirred from where they had been curled up against the weather to the witch climbing to her feet. Marissa's color was better, and while her hair was immediately plastered to her head, she wasn't shivering, yet.

"Ladies," he said quietly, "We need to finish this little trek before the weather gets to Marissa again. I'll carry the packs, and you three can stay in wolf form if you wish. No point in wasting the energy Shifting until we're at a sheltered place and can ensure we have enough food to cover our needs. I'm guessing we've only got about an hour or so to go to the cabin, so the sooner we get moving, the sooner we get there and know what we've got to work with."

"I should be good for at least an hour of hiking," Marissa said, attempting to wring some of the water from her hair, then giving up with a disgusted snort. "And I can put up with the smell of wet dog at least that long."

The last words were delivered in a light tone, and the grin on her face made it clear that Marissa was trying to lighten the mood. Ryan chuckled a bit, then sobered.

"Unless someone has an objection, let's go," he said. "We need proper cover, more food, and the ammo we hope is there."

Kathy and Sarah rose to their feet, glancing at Grace, Ryan, and Marissa for a moment before loping off into the woods. He could feel them ranging ahead, checking for threats and possible prey, and he turned to Grace and Marissa.

"Shall we?"

readysetstalk readysetstalk (Time to move on. Any hostile or edible encounters between here and the cabin at your discretion.)

Just as before, her wandering mind had drifted back off to a slumber. Though, her dreams were not like it had been before. There were only sleeping companions around her. There was no tether to anything exciting. Her dreams reverted back to the foggy limbo she'd been in while both dreaming, and while she was moments away from being gone forever. The fog was heavy, cool. She could feel the tension in the air. This time, however, she wasn't greeted by the wolves. No. Not this time. Before her stood the giant monstrosity that she'd faced moments before taking the injury that should have killed her. As she laid next to Marissa, her breathing had quickened and it was clear that it was far from a peaceful rest.

"We need to move on. It feels like the weather is going to turn for the worse."

Those words rang through Grace's mind, echoing loudly. With a faint jolt, Grace's eyes snapped open and she took a moment to realize where she was and who she was with. It took time for her to settle herself down before she rose to her feet. Her eyes went to Ryan briefly before she checked over the others---Marissa, Sarah, and Kathy. Once it was confirmed that all were well, she stretched those large front paws out in front of her, the cool mud squishing up between her toes. Or fingers? Either way, once she had a good stretch under her belt, she sat and waited for everyone to ready themselves. And that certainly meant that she had stolen a few quick looks at Ryan as he shifted and got dressed.

Mm.. Mine," hummed over their personal bond, leaving the others out of the loop on her feelings in the moment. If she'd been in her human form, her cheeks would probably be burning. But the blue-black fur covering her kept that all well hidden.

Only when it was time to move out did Grace rise up onto all fours. Despite the food and the nap, Gracelynn still felt like she was running on fumes. The adrenaline that had kept her going originally was depleted. There was nothing left in the reserve. It was possible to try and keep it to herself, how tired she was, but that also required a bit more energy. With a small huff, Gracelynn shook the water from her haunches and started following along after Kathy and Sarah. She hung back, though, more so just a few steps ahead of Ryan and Marissa. The ability to hear everything in the beginning had been overwhelming. Now it felt as though it was distracting her. She listened to the sound of the dirt squishing underneath Ryan's feet for a few minutes. Next the sound of Marissa's breathing. Then the way the rain sounded when it fell on different objects in nature.

With a shake of her head, she glanced back at Ryan. They were almost there. It felt like ten years since they'd started walking. The rain wasn't helping much either. By the time they reached the cabin, Grace's head was low with exhaustion. The few steps ahead of Ryan that she had started at, were now gone. She walked alongside him and Marissa, her movements slow and lethargic. She wasn't even sure what she was running on anymore. The fumes were gone.

Clear the cabin, she sent along the pack bond. She could sense Kathy and Sarah acknowledge the command and then take action. With their heightened senses, they were able to tell if anyone, or anything was inside. After a few moments of them circling and ensuring safety, they sent back a, "Clear". Luckily for them, all they would have to worry about was a mouse making its home in the cabinet above the sink. They could handle that.

Gracelynn had to push herself to finish the race. As they approached the cabin, Grace rubbed her head against Ryan's hand. Her eyelids were heavy. But they were almost there. They were so close to their destination. She had to push herself. It was right there. She couldn't give up now.

It was just moments after Ryan opened the cabin door that Grace stepped inside. Her eyes scanned their surroundings, finding the nearest bed. She tried her damnedest to make it, but just a few feet away, she collapsed. As she fell, her body shifted from wolf form to human form before she even hit the ground. Her body lay there, soaking wet, and nude. She'd made it, though. They were at the cabin. The destination had been reached. And her body had been pushed to the absolute max.

Tarmagon Tarmagon Tired Grace is tired. She's gonna need some time to recover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back