• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Commission [1/4 available] Fantasy Sketches, Grumkins and Snarks! [Commish info-first post!]

Painting of Theia for Chrysanthemum Chrysanthemum and elusivethought elusivethought . I had a fun time coming up with the pose and colour scheme and decided I'd turn it into a process tutorial!

siren.png

1. First thing I did was to come up with the sketch by using a reference for perspective. I recommend browsing sculptures on Pinterest - those make for great references not only for poses but also for shadows, highlights and anatomy in general.

a.png

2. I added the base colours, disregarding shadow and lighting initially, then creating a Multiply layer in a dark marine blue to simulate the blue-green shadows in the cave. I then played with opacity and used a soft eraser brush to remove the shadow where light would be hitting my character. Keep in mind that skin is slightly translucent and in strong lighting it creates a bright, saturated rim where light meets shadow called subsurface scattering. Try viewing your subject as a bundle of geometrical shapes to figure out where your light and shadows fall.
-> TIP: You can simulate shadow or night lighting by using a multiply layer in a dark colour overtop of your base hues.

aaa.png

3. I started painting the details using a soft chalk brush and OCCASIONALLY blending with an airbrush. I don't recommend using the airbrush as your main tool since in most cases it gives off an amateur, artificial look to your painting. You will see that professional artists in the concept art industry don't blend too much, and instead use brush strokes for a more organic, painterly look.

aaaaa.png aaaaaaa.png

4. For painting the water, I looked up images of "cave waterfall" and picked out the pictures that best fit my colour and light scheme. Remember that water is never smooth and it reflects the colours surrounding it in swirls and waves. Since the mermaid is wet, some light will reflect off of the water surface and onto her tail and the stone underneath her.

Disclaimer: Please note that these are my own tips and may or may not apply to/fit your personal style!

Process gif:
Progress GIF-downsized_large (1).gif

Last edited:
UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS WHAT THE HECK!!!!!! 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍
Pose, lighting, palette choice... all of it is absolutely stunning.
Working your magic yet again!

I love this! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ And it's so cool to hear about your process. Really great. Hope people pick up lots of good tips.
Thank you! I’m hoping that if anything is unclear people will point it out and I’ll add that info to my tutorial! 💗

Hello everyone! I updated the first page of this thread to include my most representative art (commission/personal), links to all of my big tutorials and a teeny-tiny FAQ that I recommend you give a read to if you're interested in my stuff! I'll be back with more art following my hiatus 💙

I'm am seriously in love with your work- honeslty, I really hope to be able to create such stunning pieces someday! I'm planning to attempt drawing some images that have proper light and shadows (and a proper background for once XD) in the future so the multipy layer tip will come in handy. Also, I would habe never thought of using a sculpture as a ref!

I'm am seriously in love with your work- honeslty, I really hope to be able to create such stunning pieces someday! I'm planning to attempt drawing some images that have proper light and shadows (and a proper background for once XD) in the future so the multipy layer tip will come in handy. Also, I would habe never thought of using a sculpture as a ref!

So glad that you found my tips useful! I'm hoping to share more in the future as they're suggested or come to my mind! Thank you for your kind words 💗

My commissions are open again after a long break 💚 I hope my class schedule will allow for some more art during the week.

I'm kindly asking anyone who messaged me about commissions before my hiatus to shoot me a PM again if still interested! 💜

threed.png

kojuro.png
Kojuro for Crayons Crayons

I've been painting for so many years that you'd think I'd have lost my fear of making mistakes and comparing myself to others. Unfortunately like any other artist, I can't really help doubting my skills and seeing the faults in something otherwise completely decent.

I used to be able to take failures much lightly until I got into my University, but my perspective changed so quickly and so drastically that I try to strive for perfection where I would have otherwise been happy with the result. I would tell myself "If I get over 70 on this exam, I will be happy'', but when the results come in and I read 74, next to my classmates' 80s and 90s, my self esteem plunges 6 feet deep.

This is not a call for pity. I'm actually trying to paint my life in a color other than pink for those of you who may look up to my art the way I look up to others'. I doubt myself more than you could ever imagine but I've learnt to use that as incentive for getting better, and it's okay to plateau for a while.

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thank you for drawing him!!! 😍 💖 😍

I feel you with the rant. This is just ... something that happens to all artists. And it will keep happening periodically through your entire life. Take it as part of the process of improvement, but whatever you do, try not to compare too much to others, for that way lies madness. Just do your thing and accept that you will have periods where your "eye" matures faster than your ability and vice versa.

💗

I've been painting for so many years that you'd think I'd have lost my fear of making mistakes and comparing myself to others. Unfortunately like any other artist, I can't really help doubting my skills and seeing the faults in something otherwise completely decent.

I used to be able to take failures much lightly until I got into my University, but my perspective changed so quickly and so drastically that I try to strive for perfection where I would have otherwise been happy with the result. I would tell myself "If I get over 70 on this exam, I will be happy'', but when the results come in and I read 74, next to my classmates' 80s and 90s, my self esteem plunges 6 feet deep.

This is not a call for pity. I'm actually trying to paint my life in a color other than pink for those of you who may look up to my art the way I look up to others'. I doubt myself more than you could ever imagine but I've learnt to use that as incentive for getting better, and it's okay to plateau for a while.
Here!! This vid helped me look at failures a bit differently... Or at least helped me start to be okay with them.
This guy's a really neat professional artist that has tons of really good tips if you're looking to get into the professional art industry quickly. He's also a massive dork and purposefully comes on very strong because of his persona 😂 I think it's hilarious at times. Still, his tips are very insightful.

Here!! This vid helped me look at failures a bit differently... Or at least helped me start to be okay with them.
This guy's a really neat professional artist that has tons of really good tips if you're looking to get into the professional art industry quickly. He's also a massive dork and purposefully comes on very strong because of his persona 😂 I think it's hilarious at times. Still, his tips are very insightful.

I’ll have to check it out, thank you!

Another lovely portrait! I really like that one a lot :). Watching you has made me pick up a pencil again, so thank you!

That’s a huge compliment, I’m glad I could inspire someone 💗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back