• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Come Winter's Light (Exalted/Modern) [Forum] [Dice]

So, are we waiting for more candidates to apply? Is there a cutoff point for sheets?

FeMChara, is there anything you're waiting for from us?

Tomorrow, we can start off. Today is the day the merge happens with RPNation, so I'm going to say we're good to go with a specific time for Chat TBD. Right now, focusing on the PCs getting together and introducing ~other~ things will make for an interesting first adventure.

Prepare yourselves.

Did we decide on a specific IRC room to meet up?

Actually, I'm new here so I'm not sure how these things work on this site: Will we also have a subforum of our own for the game?

It was listed as a hybrid game, so it's going to make use of a forum. Exalted also tends to call for enough background and bookkeeping to favor having a whole forum, in general. Right now, though, creating new forums is suspended while some technical glitches in the merger are smoothed out. I suspect that's all we're waiting on.

Ah, this is where the thread got to. Lost track of it in the merges and revamps. Although...it looks like the game's already got enough applicants? Oh well.

I don't know if the ST has formally closed things or not. Throw up a pitch, see what sticks? :) That's what I did anyway...

Go ahead and post, the RP Creation process is currently closed while they troubleshoot/debug fortunately for you! We are NOT full.

Lay off the chat hating, please? Some of us almost exclusively do chats, having been burned hard by play-by-posts.

Anyway, finally thought of a concept, if it's not too late. Sheet to come later if the concept's okay - this may be too "heroic" for what the campaign's going for. Was waiting to see what time the group agreed on, but if that's still TBD...

(Note: Yasumi is a location Omicron created. For this, it's purely background, but that part should definitely be run by him.)

Name: Cygna Amilar (not widely known)

Street name: Star

Concept: Recovering adventurer

Exaltation: Journeys

Things keep happening to Star. It is only recently that she has known peace, but she fears in her heart it will not last. It never does.

The girl now known as Star grew up on the outskirts of Yasumi, across the ocean west of Meruvia - close enough that the ghostly monsters known as "shells" would wander her streets, far enough from the glimmering spires that no one she knew fully participated in their hopes and wealth. While Yasumi has no slums, it has its neighborhoods of relatively poor and disillusioned just like any large city, where those who prey find more victims on average. Star remembers playing with those horrors, not knowing any better at the time - and is now well aware that if she had full, lucid memory of those days she would snap. She does remember realizing what this "play" involved, and smiling while waving goodbye to that which her parents had become as she fled from them for her life.

Over the next year or two - keeping track of time was not a high priority - she fled and fought and snuck her way across the western sea. Eventually she turned up on a powerboat being chased by a small Lintha flotilla (it was only 5 ships) so determined to claim her blood that they completely missed the Meruvian fleet closing in around them. None of the Lintha allowed themselves to be taken prisoner, and Star's subsequent account was deemed suspect - though she clearly had enough need of asylum to be granted it.

She has proven to be rather bright, such that she easily made up for her missed years of schooling, and even graduated early - based on the official best guess for her birthdate; Yasumi's records of her turned out to have had major holes. She can seem a bit unhinged at times, not infrequently making wild leaps of intuition - sometimes correct, sometimes not - but no longer comes off as semi-feral, though she does still try to only go by her nickname unless she has to acknowledge her full name (such as for official paperwork). She is decent at parkour, and has a knack for vehicles - she has won a few local racing tournaments, both physical and virtual. (If we're having the nightclub in common: she hangs out there because she feels "safe enough to do homework". Not that she doesn't also socialize, but she has occasionally been seen actually doing homework off in one corner, though rarely for more than a few minutes.)

Her olive skin and silver-white hair marked her as a minority even in Yasumi; it is even less common in Meruvia. Whatever might have been the case in the land of her origin, here her heritage is so rare there are no applicable ethnic stereotypes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you know, you could respect that some of us have super terrible schedules and are sad that we can't play in what looks like an awesome game because of it. And are not hating at all. And I'm out, just wanted to point that out.

Fair enough. Just, there were a bunch of posts in this thread that basically just said, "this is chat therefore I can't play"; what is the effect of such posts other than to discourage other GMs considering a chat RP? A typical PbP thread doesn't get a lot of "this is post therefore I can't play" posts.

Actually there are a bunch of posts expressing interest before it was said that this was chat. Mine and SLS's included.

Well, because they are more flexible with scheduling. Chat is a bit less scheduling friendly, so a lot of people can't do it because they live in X timezone or have weird job schedules.

Probably because a PbP doesn't put people in the position of being unable to play, merely unwilling. Chat games mean you have to keep a specific, and large, block of time open no matter what else your schedule does, and prime spots are often already taken by other games. Also, hey, I'm still planning to play in this one if the STs ever reappear. I actually prefer chat format quite a bit.

On the other hand, chat games mean you have devoted regular time to the game, so it's much less likely that you'll allow yourself to go a week or two doing nothing related to the game, then it's another week, then you come back and everyone's stalled because you stopped posting for a month mid-scene; in that time the other players gave up, stopped checking the thread, and won't come back.

Anyway. Would the STs and/or other players care to comment on Star? Possible fit w/the party, suitable heroicness level, and so on?

I'll be straightforward: I have never been able to maintain my commitment to a PbP game, except when the other people dropped first. The reasons for this vary from game to game, but the point remains: whether it's me or the others, when I'm in a PbP, it fails. Always.

Meanwhile I'm in two Skype/IRC games that have been going on for more than a year and haven't slowed down yet.

So as far as I'm concerned the decision is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back