• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Coldwater: A Supernatural Horror Western (Interest check)

Owl Knight

Don't let it ruffle your feathers, my liege.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

don't

home

go

story

out

characters

alone

rules

• "Listen, boy"

there's somethin' bad in them hills

don't

home

♡coded by uxie, from the wonderful mind of dreamglow♡

THE STORY
The western territories were to be the next great adventure of mankind. As some settled comfortably in the east, those with ambition and a fire under their saddles to explore the untouched wilds of God’s country set their eyes on the rolling mountains, dense forests, and rolling rivers of the west.

There was gold and silver in those hills, there to be seized by those with the gumption to pan a river or drive a shaft. A man could build something for himself and his own with his two hands without Uncle Sam pilfering his pocket. The Dakota territories saw their fair share of westward pioneers, looking to carve a slice of the American pie for themselves. We’ve heard the tales of Yankton and Deadwood. But there is another town in the black hills that goes unmentioned in the history books.

This is Coldwater. A rough and ready mining camp slowly growing as all sorts seek to make their mark on the new frontier. But while they hunt the hills for shafts of precious metal, something wicked is brewing in the shadows between the tangled pines.

On a midsummer night under the watchful eye of the full moon, Elmo Crane, a local trapper camping in the foothills near the town flees for his life through the trees. The beasts that pursue him fly through the woods on two legs, fangs bared, claws outstretched. Howls fill the night. Elmo’s old heart races. If there is a shred of mercy in the world, the old organ, battered with years of bacon lard and whiskey will give out before the things in the woods overtake him.

The black hills of the Dakota territory are without mercy.

Elmo’s wail of terror and pain mingles with the unearthly howls that fill the night. In the town of Coldwater, the residents, new arrivals and old hands alike, sleep fitfully beneath the full moon.

You are a resident of Coldwater, here in search of fortune, fame, infamy, or a fresh start. But when Elmo’s ravaged body is hauled back to town, your hopes and dreams become entangled in terror.
What will you and your fellow townsfolk do in the face of the monsters that lurk among the pine woods and craggy hills outside of the safety of the town limits?
This RP will involve investigation of the threat that hangs over the town. Discovering the origins of the creatures that hunt in the night are the key to stopping their reign of terror.
All the while, life goes on. There is room for friendship, conflict, perhaps even romance in Coldwater.

If you are brave enough to face the wilds of the untamed west, and the terror that lurks in the black hills, read on.

THE RULES (For folks on mobile or those inclined against BBCode)

Coldwater draws people from all walks of life. Entrepreneurs looking to add to their fortunes, young men and women seeking adventure, families looking for a new start, everyone should have a reason to come to Coldwater and something that keeps them here despite the dangers of the frontier and the evil in the woods. Not everyone in town is going to be a badass gunslinger. A town like Coldwater would have Saloon keepers, madams and whores, veterans, black smiths, prospectors, preachers, gamblers, farmers, trappers, trailguides, and countless others. Nothing says any of those people couldn't pick up a gun and be a crack shot, but really think about what will give the town character and texture.

While the main antagonists of this story will be the McTeague family, who have become werewolves, this is not going to be a world where there is a lot of knowledge about werewolves. there are no supernatural investigators, no werewolf hunters, just townsfolk trying to learn how to survive before its too late. Feel free to roll multiple characters if you want to play one of the victims of the McTeagues. I'm even okay with you playing a werewolf, as long as we can all agree that, in this world, there are no good or kind werewolves.

I'll be playing the town Sheriff, and my job will be to try an maintain a certain amount of order, but the west is called wild for a reason. Feel free to inject additional conflict to the plot, but be aware if things get out of hand I may have to toss you in jail for the night. I can take on one or two deputies depending on how many people join the RP.

If you want to run a business in the town there are two requirements. 1. Try not to start the same business as another player, we can't have a whole town full of saloons, and 2. Do a little research beforehand about whether a tiny mining town in the old west would have the kind of business you want to start. Yes there are going to be werewolves in this RP, but other than that I would love for it to have a certain degree of realism. The HBO show Deadwood is my main inspiration for Coldwater, so if you've seen that, you know the kind of feel I'm looking for.

Suggested Roles (To get you thinking, no obligation to choose one of these)
⥈ The madame of the local brothel
⥈ A small town doctor
⥈ A drunkard gambler
⥈ A working girl
⥈ A "Calamity Jane" type
⥈ A former soldier turned prospector
⥈ A local blacksmith
⥈ A bounty hunter
⥈ An outlaw in hiding

If you are interested in participating, post below and let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

⥈ CHARACTER SHEET⥈

(Please include a picture of your character. Photographs or drawing acceptable.)

⥈ Name:
⥈ Age:
⥈ Height:
⥈ Description:

⥈ Profession: (How do you make your living in Coldwater?)

⥈ Business: (If you own a business in the town, describe it.)

⥈ What brought you to Coldwater?: (Fortune? Fame? Adventure? A fresh start?)

⥈ Who came with you?: (Did you bring a spouse? Sibling? Business partner? Or are you a loner?)

⥈ What's your big secret?: (Everyone has something they aren't about to tell their friends and neighbors.)

Last edited:
Interested. Any objections to a preacher? Perhaps a circuit rider trying to settle down and start a church?

Name: Frank woods
⥈ Age: 22
⥈ Height:5’10”
⥈ Description:
When he’s not being a serial killer frank woods wears black pants and a white jacket but when Hess outnmurdering people he’s warming s blue jacket and milllatry like pants.

⥈ Profession: (How do you make your living in
Bounty hunter (he wears his serial killer clothes when he’s on the job)

He’s here for simple reasons to have a new life at a new town where he WONT be caught by police Andy federal acorporations.
⥈ Who came with you?: (Did you bring a spouse? Sibling? Business partner? Or are you a loner?)
He came with nobody he is a loner.

⥈ What's your big secret?: (Everyone has something they aren't about to tell their friends and neighbors.)
His big secret is that he’s a famous serial killer that goes by,”The legion”

Attachments

• 6622EF2E-AEC2-46D5-8663-DD6F3ABB1776.jpeg
    6622EF2E-AEC2-46D5-8663-DD6F3ABB1776.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 9
Name: Frank woods
⥈ Age: 22
⥈ Height:5’10”
⥈ Description:
When he’s not being a serial killer frank woods wears black pants and a white jacket but when Hess outnmurdering people he’s warming s blue jacket and milllatry like pants.

⥈ Profession: (How do you make your living in
Bounty hunter (he wears his serial killer clothes when he’s on the job)

He’s here for simple reasons to have a new life at a new town where he WONT be caught by police Andy federal acorporations.
He came with nobody he is a loner.

His big secret is that he’s a famous serial killer that goes by,”The legion”
Hey Potatodude_12 Potatodude_12 I'm going to ask for a few tweaks.

This is an old west roleplay, so the characters need to fit in that setting. I'm fine with your character being a bounty hunter, but a serial killer in modern clothing doesn't feel like the right fit to me. PM me of you have questions, but if you can adjust your character and face claim to fit the setting I'd appreciate it.

JB Carson.jpg

⥈ Name: James Bodaway "JB" Carson
⥈ Age: 51
⥈ Height: 5'11"
⥈ Description: A tall, stringy man with tanned skin and caucasian features. He has the lanky hair and tufted beard of someone who can't be bothered to trim more than once a year. Perched on a sloping nose are a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles. He wears heavy black clothing in most kinds of weather including a broad-brimmed leather hat.

⥈ Profession: Carson is a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC).

⥈ What brought you to Coldwater?: Carson worked as a circuit rider for a number of years, riding hundreds of miles a year between towns too small to support a full church. He was a dramatic figure in those days, riding with a rifle over his shoulder and a Bible in his hand. Now he's looking to settle down a bit, and Coldwater might be getting prosperous enough to maintain an actual church.

⥈ Who came with you?: While allowed to marry, Carson is very single. He has his horses, Hezekiah and Josiah.

⥈ What's your big secret?: Carson was raised in the western territories and became one of the hell-for-leather cavalrymen who served as irregular troops in the western theater of the Civil War. He briefly served Quantrill's Raiders and took part in the Lawrence Massacre. He was shaken by the brutality and began to reform. The Raiders started to break up after that, and Carson followed one of the fringe groups before slipping away for good. Carson was too small a player to be remembered by the authorities, but there might still be a general bounty on members of the Raiders.

⥈ Name: James Bodaway "JB" Carson
⥈ Age: 51
⥈ Height: 5'11"
⥈ Description: A tall, stringy man with tanned skin and caucasian features. He has the lanky hair and tufted beard of someone who can't be bothered to trim more than once a year. Perched on a sloping nose are a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles. He wears heavy black clothing in most kinds of weather including a broad-brimmed leather hat.

⥈ Profession: Carson is a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC).

⥈ What brought you to Coldwater?: Carson worked as a circuit rider for a number of years, riding hundreds of miles a year between towns too small to support a full church. He was a dramatic figure in those days, riding with a rifle over his shoulder and a Bible in his hand. Now he's looking to settle down a bit, and Coldwater might be getting prosperous enough to maintain an actual church.

⥈ Who came with you?: While allowed to marry, Carson is very single. He has his horses, Hezekiah and Josiah.

⥈ What's your big secret?: Carson was raised in the western territories and became one of the hell-for-leather cavalrymen who served as irregular troops in the western theater of the Civil War. He briefly served Quantrill's Raiders and took part in the Lawrence Massacre. He was shaken by the brutality and began to reform. The Raiders started to break up after that, and Carson followed one of the fringe groups before slipping away for good. Carson was too small a player to be remembered by the authorities, but there might still be a general bounty on members of the Raiders.

This is exquisite! Hopefully we get a couple more people because I need to see this character in action!

Never heard of this "Deadwood" show, but I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood movies so I figure I'll try this out as well.

⥈ Name: Alexander Jefferson Gurley
⥈ Age:
⥈ Height: 5'10"
⥈ Description: Gurley is a calm and dignified seeming man, baring his most severe addiction to gambling. Perhaps his composure has enabled him to be relatively successful at it, but luck always runs out and Gurley never quits while he's ahead. By contrast, his drinking habits are quite temperate. He's something of an amateur chemist, knowing how to make gunpowder, soap, and dyes. He speaks in a soothing, sometimes airy Southern drawl. Despite having military experience, he can't shoot worth a damn. His reflexes are slow, and he has generally had to rely on methodical approaches to his problems.
iu

⥈ Profession: Making soap is a side gig, he mostly lives off his savings and good gambling streaks.

⥈ What brought you to Coldwater? A fresh start, primarily to escape some gambling debts.

⥈ Who came with you? Nobody.

⥈ What's your big secret?
Coldwater is the most recent in a string of towns Gurley has fled to after ending up in the hole, a sequence which has taken him from Louisiana to the Dakotas. He's stolen a few valuables on his way out of those previous townships, seed money for his next venture. Gurley also committed arson in Nebraska, but it didn't seem like anyone suspected him of that.

This sounds really fun. Too bad I don't think I can take on any more RP's right now :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back