• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Coalition Wars - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Yeah, I think the idea of being a CS Marine assigned shore duty and being attached to a CS Army unit is really amusing. I was briefly attached to an Army unit during RIMPAC 2004, and it was quite an experience, since the military cultures are pretty close, but still slightly different enough to be amusing. The CS Navy Infantryman with the two packages comes out to about the same as the RPA SAMAS Pilot (although the dedicated pilot is slightly better), so it should fit right in. I can think of a ton of reasons for why a Marine would be sent to an Army unit, especially in a heavy campaign against someone like Tolkeen or the Xiticix. Could be a cross-training experience, or a "creative reprimand by reassignment."

RPA pilots start out as Sergeant at level 1. Not sure when they get a commission, since they jump to officer ranks after level 5ish.

I was in the Army for a short time before being sent home on a medical discharge. I have total respect for anyone that is willing to step up and serve, whatever branch that they choose.

I just noticed that some of you will have HtH Commando starting out. Just to make sure you are all clear on this, you get Automatic Dodge at first level, but it does not apply inside your SAMAS armor. Only when on foot do you get that bonus.

I think with H2H: Commando, Auto Dodge doesn't come into play until level 5. I think it's in the official Rifts errata on the forums. I have a whole bunch of it indexed somewhere on my computer.

I think with H2H: Commando, Auto Dodge doesn't come into play until level 5. I think it's in the official Rifts errata on the forums. I have a whole bunch of it indexed somewhere on my computer.
It never says in the books I have, so I just guessed it applied from level 1. I can handle not letting you guys have Auto Dodge until level 5.

BTW, what kind of SAMAS Armor are we starting out with?

Yeah, Rifts is a hot mess of errata.

Also, official errata thread:

Other Links:

RUE Additional Errata

Yet more stuff

Cutting Room Floor

I also have a master index by topic that me and a bunch of the forum folks compiled together years ago. I think I even have a doc with most of the errata somewhere. I used to play a lot of Rifts back in the day.

I'm cool with whatever. There's so much there that it would take too long to really get it all down. Some stuff is entirely GM fiat too, like Charm/Impress, resisting offensive telekinesis, using a Detox spell on a Juicer, and a bunch of other stuff.

EDIT: Here's a link to that Master Index. Intent is to have an easy "Ctrl + F" index of useful topics and their rules. Hopefully it helps.

Good stuff in there. Some of its Palladium and some of it is those who play Palladium, but then again, is there anyone anywhere who plays a Palladium game totally by what's in the books? If so, how do they do it? Hah!=)

It never says in the books I have, so I just guessed it applied from level 1. I can handle not letting you guys have Auto Dodge until level 5.

Hooold up, please. I know we put this one to bed in one of our Palladium games. HtH: Commando starts with automatic dodge and doesn't get the automatic dodge bonuses until level 5. Every GM seems take on a different definition of how this works, but in the past, we settled this. I... would very much like to have Automatic Dodge at 1st level as it's one of the biggest reasons to select Hand to Hand: Commando over Martial Arts and I am certain Gabi had Automatic Dodge from the get-go from her Hand to Hand: Commando in your Southern Cross game.

If that's changing in this game, then could we have some kind of path to get Hand to Hand: Martial Arts instead somehow (as it eventually gets the Critical on Natural 18+ whereas Commando does not get bonuses to Critical until 15th level)?

* * *​

Page 230 of Rifts Ultimate Edition has some neat tips by Siembieda for playing Coalition Characters including this gem:

Siembieda: "I'm frequently asked, "So is the Coalition good or evil?" and I get a frown or head scratching when I say, "Yes."

Auto dodge is significantly more powerful than increased crit range mechanically, by a large factor. Most OCCs don't even get a auto dodge path. Rules scope wise, auto dodge is typically the mark of Crazies, Juicers, and high level cyberknights. It sorta makes sense that it would be hard to get. That said, the GM can do whatever they want, I'm merely the FAQ/Errata messenger.

Auto dodge is significantly more powerful than increased crit range mechanically, by a large factor. Most OCCs don't even get a auto dodge path. That said, the GM can do whatever they want, I'm merely the FAQ/Errata messenger.

I think it heavily depends on what rules the GM is using. Some GMs say Automatic Dodge = P.P. + Dodge Bonus (very useful!). Others say Automatic Dodge = P.P. + Automatic Dodge Bonus if any (still very useful!). Plus, yet other GMs say Automatic Dodge works in any vehicle you have a Pilot Skill in (including flight-capable Mecha during flight like Robotech's Veritechs). Psychie said today that Automatic Dodge does not work in Power Armor (which PalladiumBooks.com agrees with).

So... in my mind... it really depends on the GM in question. For example - let's say our adventures are always in our SAMAS units. We can't use Automatic Dodge in SAMAS armor. Now how useful is it? If that's the case, the Critical bonus looks better from my angle. Just one player's opinion though. =)

Maybe if you're stabbing a bunch of people regularly. As far as Auto Dodge goes, it's pretty clear on page 344 of RUE. I'm not sure where these other questions are coming from. Rifts can be confusing and complex. I'm not surprised that people would come up with different interpretations or misread some parts.

As far as auto dodge in power armor, I am cool with restricting it. There are some power armors that innately have nifty auto dodge on them, like from Robotech, or the Kitanni.

The subject of "can you auto dodge in power armor" is apparently complicated in practice:

The subject of "can you auto dodge in power armor" is apparently complicated in practice:

Absolutely! I totally agree! It definitely has been in my own games. It's just one of those things you get when you play Rifts - challenges from rules that are less than clear that can compound to huge, lengthy discussions (when instead folks could be gaming!). Here's Palladium's own take (see 117). But how many GMs have seen this? And how many more follow it? Even GMs like Sherwood and myself use rules we've been comfortable with for longer than some of our players have been around.

Like Boxing. For the longest time, Palladium never said a thing about Boxing's extra Attack per Round. Then... twenty years down the road, I finally run into resources (like the link) that state it only applies in melee. Does it make sense? Yes. Am I willing to go back and change literally decades of just my own Characters to reflect who would then take Boxing and who wouldn't? Do I further change my own House Rule on the subject or do I just keep the rule and get back to playing the game?

It's a slippery slope, these rules! The beauty of it all is that each of us can (and should!) play these games by the rules we are most comfortable with. Many of us have been doing it that way with games since we were children so why stop now? =)

Vaneheart Vaneheart
Yeah, I think the idea of being a CS Marine assigned shore duty and being attached to a CS Army unit is really amusing. I was briefly attached to an Army unit during RIMPAC 2004, and it was quite an experience, since the military cultures are pretty close, but still slightly different enough to be amusing.

I meant to ask earlier. You appear to imply you had military action alongside the U.S. Army. I do not mean to pry. If you are comfortable answering, I take it you are either Navy or Marine? Especially if the latter, I would like to ask. Among the Marines I have been lucky enough to interact with, there is the idea among them that there is no such thing as a "former Marine." Once a Marine, always a Marine. Anyone who calls themselves a "former Marine" was never truly a Marine in the first place.

Do you think this is true of Marines?

EDIT: Oh, and please forgive me if I have screwed up somewhere along the lines and misread your post! It is late and my brain is reminding me that I think better when I'm properly rested. Heh! =)

Last edited:
I was in the Marine Corps from 2000 to 2005, along with a brief reactivation in 2007. When I was in, it was the idea of an "ex-Marine" rather than simply using the term "former Marine." No ex-Marines, even if they suck (Lee Harvey Oswald gets brought up a lot). Once a Marine, always a Marine is generally true though. I typically refer to myself as a Marine Corps veteran, if it comes up.

I have my character posted; just need to come up with a name and pic for it.

Pic and a name have been added, and I went with the rank of Corporal if that's ok. By the Special Forces OCC, you start as either corporal or sergeant, depending on your performance in training. My numbers aren't impressive enough to say I did that awesome to get the promotion yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back