• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Coalition Wars - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Lt. Ridge would know that of the two bars, Ruby's has the reputation of being a bit rowdier, with more calls to the MPs to break up fights than at Smiling Jack's.

The new arrivals to the base would be advised to stick to Smiling Jack's, just because you don't have any experience with the crowd at Ruby's, but it is entirely up to you as to where you decide to go to hoist a mug.

At this point, anyone that wishes to meet up before going out somewhere can feel free to do so.

The wait; perhaps the worst, all things considered. An idle mind likes to wander off, and it rarely visits pleasant places in these hours. Exercising, preparations, all that - nothing that Amy Winters would mind. But feeling the weight of responsibility on her shoulders whenever her mind loops through her new Lieutenant's speech. The images of the last mission, the damn cyber knights, the blood and screams... they leave her restless, like a dog in a too tiny cage. Not that there's no room to walk, or no places to be; but there's no hiding from her own mind, is there? Movies, games - the wrong kind of thing, now. Leaves company as a way to distract herself. Bars are good for that. The Smiling Jack's her usual choice, Ruby's sometimes means asking for trouble. Bad call, right before a mission. Bad call in general, actually, at least for her. Left plenty of that behind, when she joined.

So... the Smiling Jack's it is. There ought to be someone hanging out there, maybe someone from the same team. There's over twenty fellow comrades waiting for the same trip to hell, after all, and only a few ways to spend the time. Not like they're all wasting hours to share their life stories with those back at home. She knows she doesn't. What for? Not like much changes, these days. The last vid she sent - it'll do as much good when things go wrong as whatever she could record now. When things go wrong... there it is, again. Hell, waiting's the worst. She wants to be out there, on the hunt. Stuck in the trouble she signed up for. At least, the bar's a few steps closer, now...

Once she wraps up her video message, Stacey decides to head out to the Smiling Jack to get her drink on, looking forward to getting a good buzz prior to going off into the field on whatever kind of mission that company commander has in store for them.

Amy is the first to arrive at the Smiling Jack's Bar, since she didn't bother to send off any video messages before heading out. As you walk in, the place is already starting to fill up with the standard evening crowd, and there is probably as many as twenty people in the place all having a enjoyable time. A few people turn their heads to look at Amy as she walks in, but with so many people at Fort Rico coming and going, unless you are a part of the same unit it is unlikely that they will recognize you.

Even with all the people here, the place is less than half full, and there are several empty tables and spots at the bar where you can set yourself and order some food or drink. As you begin to hunt for a place, a voice calls out to you. Looking over, you see a familiar man sitting at a table with a large beer stein in his hand. Its MSG King, looking quite nice out of his uniform. He waves a beefy hand at you, inviting you over to join him. Do you do so?

Soon after Amy arrives, Bronson comes strolling in, followed a few minutes later by Stacey.

Purr Purr and Rykon Rykon What are the two of you doing at this time? Going to join the others, or do something else?

Sergeant Stone
CSMC (attached to CS Army)
Warlords - Steel Rain
Day 0

Bronson Stone is dressed in khaki slacks with a black leather belt, simple black leather shoes with laces, and a maroon colored short sleeved button up shirt with a collar. Looking at himself in the mirror, he cringes a little. I need to pick up some better casual clothes. I look like a fucking boot, especially with the high reg haircut in this outfit. Still, can't be helped now. I should get a tropical shirt. I heard those are approved civilian attire now. Maybe a shirt that says "I'm with stupid" with the arrow pointing up. Or a giant gold-plated belt buckle like those guys that are stationed a long time at Fort El Dorado. He pictured something obnoxious being printed on it, like the outline of the state of Illinois, or maybe his rank insignia on it, and grinned at the thought.

Stone heads out to Smiling Jack's to quench his thirst and unwind. He wonders Maybe they'll have a pool table? Or darts?

With a deployment on the horizon, Sergeant Graves choses to get some rest and enjoy the quiet while it lasts. He'll be at the barracks reading or watching videos before turning in early.

Ridge decides to hit both bars, starting with rowdy Ruby's (the destroyers in the Special Forces like himself not being known for their calm, law-abiding ways). He's there for information, the more solid the better, but he's not above ("not below?") having a good time if the moment allows. He's also wants to know what morale is like on-post. Ridge feels once Steel Rain and Gloria head into the field, there won't be the chance, so why not hit both now?

At the Smiling Jack, both Bronson and Stacey enter and see that they have been beaten there by MSG King. He is relaxing in jeans and a t-shirt, hoisting up a hefty sized mug. When he sees you, he smiles and waves, motioning for you to join him at the table. The rest of the bar is occupied with about twenty or so people, some playing pool, some playing a game of cards, and others just enjoying a good drink, but there are several empty seats if you don't wish to join King at his table.

At Ruby's, the bar is typical for a rowdy army post bar; there is loud music blaring from a jukebox, and several groups of people drinking away their worries in a smoky haze. There is a bouncer that catches your eye since he is at least a partial Borg conversion, with both of his arms being visibly mechanical and a metal jaw. He gives Ridge a once-over as you enter, raising an eyebrow at the sight of you coming in, but he makes no move to stop you.

Since the purpose of your visit is to get a read on the mood of the place, you are able to catch snippets of conversation, most of it taking about how much of a pain in the ass that their superior officers are or other typical gripes of the enlisted soldier. However, there are some war stories being told about the recent military action against Tolkeen, describing some of the horrors that the magic users summoned up to try and blunt the massive Coalition fist that smashed down on them.

There are some conversations about the Xiticix in the area, and the general level of irritation that after taking care of one threat of the people of Tolkeen that there is now the high probability that their next task will be to hit the bugs. Other talk of the bug wars can be heard as you overhear conversations about how several transports of convicted criminals are being brought up from other cities to be used as suicide troops against the Xiticix. One person jokes about how the 'uniform' for these people includes a fusion block that is set to go off thirty seconds after their vital signs go flat, hoping to take out some bugs even after they are dead.

With a shrug, Stacey decides to go over and join King at the table. "Hey there, Master Sergeant. I see that you are getting a good drink. Don't mind if I join you, do you?" She raises up a hand to signal the waitress to come over so she can get a brew of her own.

King waves his hand at one of the empty seats and sets his now somewhat emptier mug down. "Of course I don't mind you joining me. We're all a part of the same squad, and should begin to get to know one another a bit better. And as long as we are off duty, you can go ahead and call me 'Alphonse'. Just don't make the mistake of calling me 'Al'. I hate that."

Then, the waitress comes over and takes your order, and quickly returns with your drink with a smile as she sets it on the table in front of you.

As you look around, you can see that the bar is getting a few more people in as the day goes by.

Amy might be the first to arrive of the three, but not the first to join King at his table. Instead, she only returns his greeting with a wave of her own, then continues to the counter to grab the Coalition's version of lemonade; she came for the company, not for a hangover. Sure, a beer or two would be fine; but no beer's better than four by accident, and the Master Sergeant's present, too. That. and a few more of her squad shortly after. Guess there are indeed only so many places to be. She takes a moment to sip at her drink and absorb the relaxed atmosphere; follows one of the card games with the eyes of someone who used to play, but knows better these days. And then finally moves over to King's table as well, placing her glass on a coaster before taking a seat. Close enough to not seem distant, far enough to leave him some space. Him, and Stacey as well; it'll hopefully change over time, but for now they're strangers.

"Good to meet both of you - thought I'd seen you here before..." She's ready to add a Master Sergeant as well, but invites herself to use his first name as well. "Alphonse. Not that I ever paid much attention." Not like she gives rumors and the like much of a thought, generally. Thus far, the man has only been one amongst many. There's a brief pause as no obvious topic comes to mind. "So, Hatch - everything like you expected, thus far?"

Ridge nods grimly at the 'borg bouncer - he knows the type. While part of Ridge is always ready for a fight (what self-respecting member of Special Forces wouldn't be?), instead he moves through the crowds letting his eyes and ears sift through the conversations at hand, all the while ordering a cold one at the bar while keeping his back to the wall and at least two exits within easy reach. Ridge also keeps an eye out for anyone he recognizes. He has been in FOB Rico for some time now and you never know who might be coming in or flying out.

But mostly, Ridge is trying to catch up on the latest in the field and he is not shy about asking if he finds folks that look fresh from the battleground.

While at Ruby's, Lt. Ridge sits back and takes in the gossip and the general vibe of the place. It does not take long before you spot a group of fellow Special Forces, a trio that you have seen in training and a round Fort Rico many times. They notice you and one gives you a salute with a raised mug as another in the group waves you over to join them at their booth.

Ridge knows that the three are all officers, lieutenants like yourself, but they are all in civilian clothes and not trying to show their ranks. One, a woman named Dana Hobbs, slides over to make room for you. "Hey Tin Man. Have a seat and enjoy some quality time. We're just sharing stories. What brings you here?"

At Smiling Jack's, the bunch there are chatting a bit, getting to know one another a bit better. When he is not wearing his Master Sergeant uniform, Alphonse is a pleasant fellow to be around. He is looking forward to getting out into the field once more, saying that a man with his skill set is wasting his talents sitting around drinking beer when he should be out making a difference for humanity.

As you are enjoying your time off, other members of the 4th platoon can be seen coming in to spend some relaxing time out before the evening formation and role call later on tonight. All are making sure to behave themselves because the morning deployment will come no matter how hung over or beat up they are, and no one wants to be the ones to make the MPs come and break up a fight.

Back at the barracks, Graves is enjoying a video docudrama of Emperor Prosek's life as a young man, facing the challenges of building the Coalition up to the bastion of humanity that you are all a part of. The actor playing the role of the young Emperor actually looks quite a bit like the role he's portraying, but there may be a bit of special effects added in to make that happen. As you relax and watch the show, there is a gentle knock on your door as Cpl Lisa Millsap pokes her head in. "Hey Sergeant? Some of us are playing a game of cards, and there is a seat open for you if you'd like to join in."

As the night goes by, Stacey is careful to avoid getting too drunk, and will stick with non-alcoholic drinks until it is time to get back for evening formation. She enjoys her time socializing, listening carefully to the words of wisdom about field life that she has never experienced herself. The real thing is very different than what training suggests it will be.

Sergeant Stone
CSMC (attached to CS Army)
Warlords - Steel Rain
Day 0

Stone enjoys a few beers and listens to the nearby conversations.

The knock at the door prompts Sergeant Graves to sit up from a reclined position and turn to see Lisa checking in. He gave her a welcome smile and stood up from his seat. "I've got plenty of time. Why not?" Josh replied, taking a moment to stretch before heading to the door. "How many are playin tonight?"

The knock at the door prompts Sergeant Graves to sit up from a reclined position and turn to see Lisa checking in. He gave her a welcome smile and stood up from his seat. "I've got plenty of time. Why not?" Josh replied, taking a moment to stretch before heading to the door. "How many are playin tonight?"
Lisa leads Josh along to the smoke filled rec room where a group of three people and one Dog Boy sitting at a table, with a couple of cigars being smoked, and snacks scattered about. The group consists of Rocco, Susan Massey, Alan Rickman, and Dennis Brown. Everyone gives a friendly greeting or wave, depending on how much food there is currently stuffed in their pie-holes. Rocco makes the comment to fellow player, Susan Massey, "I don't know why you are so obsessed with the whole 'dogs playing poker' thing. I just don't get it. Hey, Sergeant. Pull up a chair. Want some beef jerky? Its really good."

Dennis slides over to make room for you, and starts to shuffle once more. "Did Lisa give you the heads-up about the game being high stakes there, Sarge? The white chips are five cents, the red ones are ten, and the blue ones are a quarter. We are totally top-of-the-line here, only playing for the big bucks." He gives you a grin as he starts to deal the cards.

Susan passes you a plastic cup filled with some cheap beer and rolls her eyes. "Don't pay this loser any mind, Sarge. He's just upset that he's out over five bucks to me so far." She grabs a handful of popcorn and starts to munch. Speaking around a mouthful of food, she says, "What do you think about the new platoon LT? She give you any good vibes?"

Alan pipes up with, "Sue, you are such a dork with all of your 'good vibes'. just say it straight, without any of that mumbo-jumbo. Besides, if you keep up all this burning sage and collecting pretty crystals, someone may think you are trying to be a witch. Well, more than you are already, that is."

Dennis laughs as Susan punches Alan, then comments, "I think you are confused, Al. Its not spelled with a 'W', but with a 'B'! Ha! Get it? 'Cause I'm saying she's a - OW! That one hurt!" He rubs his leg where he has just gotten kicked, still smiling.

At Smiling Jack's, things are going well, with everyone having a few drinks, playing some darts and air hockey, and just relaxing with a few good stories of things that got pulled off in the past. It turns out that Alphonse was a bit of a troublemaker in his youth, and pulled more than one joke on people around him. But he does reassure you guys that those days are long behind him, and he is all business now. Something about his pledge makes you feel that he is not being entirely honest there, and that you may be subject to a joke or two in your futures.

Sherwood Sherwood Vaneheart Vaneheart Silanon Silanon

While at Ruby's, is there anything in particular that Ridge is looking for? You have heard plenty of talk about the happenings of the base, and things sound that the next big target that the soldiers here at Fort Rico will be dealing with is the bug infestation to the north. Either that, or trying to drive the knife home even deeper into the Federation of Magic, both of which means plenty of fighting in your future.

Purr Purr

Ridge sets up a good selection of tracks in the jukebox and his steely eyes slowly glare from one end of Ruby's to the other daring any fool in the house to step up if they don't like his call. The drums crack, the vibe gets real. It slips inside his metal shell. Gets into what's left of his injured brain. Inside that funky grey matter, synapses fire like finger snaps, and Ridge's groove is on. =)

"Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard

While at Ruby's, Lt. Ridge sits back and takes in the gossip and the general vibe of the place. It does not take long before you spot a group of fellow Special Forces, a trio that you have seen in training and a round Fort Rico many times. They notice you and one gives you a salute with a raised mug as another in the group waves you over to join them at their booth.

Ridge directs one recently-welded-on black bionic finger back at the raised mug - a promise to join and soon. To Carlton Maceo Allen, Special Forces is a hell of a lot more than unique training or incomparable history, more than bragging rights, more than the beret or what it stands for - Special Forces is where Ridge... can be Ridge. For unlike Steel Rain now being forged on the spirits of its soldiers, unlike the Gloria and brave people in it, Special Forces is his war family. Ridge waits his turn at the bar, pays for a cold six-pack, and joins his people at the table.

Ridge knows that the three are all officers, lieutenants like yourself, but they are all in civilian clothes and not trying to show their ranks. One, a woman named Dana Hobbs, slides over to make room for you. "Hey Tin Man. Have a seat and enjoy some quality time. We're just sharing stories. What brings you here?"

Ridge gives Hobbs a once over as he takes the accepted seat. Having to give back what he got, he doesn't look impressed with her. "Calling me a tin man, are you? Ohhh, you just hopin' all this here soft tin would turn to hard adamantium when you walked in the door! Tsk, tsk. That would take a woman, wouldn't it?" Ridge looks at the front door. "Maybe if we're lucky, one will join us up in here instead'a all these gorillas we hafta look at." Ridge looks right at Hobbs as he says it, chuckling as he fishes her the first beer out of his six-pack.

"How you doin' Hobbs? How all of you doin'? What's new in the news?" He puts the now-five-pack within easy reach of his fellows.

Josh pulls up a chair and takes a drink from the cup Susan handed him. "Is that what this is all about? Pickin' my brain on the change in leadership? Well, let me put your minds at ease then. I don't see any signs to worry about at this time." He threw ten bucks into the pot and began to count out his chips while the players cleaned up from the last hand. "Ever since the change was announced, I've been hearin' soldiers gossipin' like old hens and given all that's happened I can't say I blame em. Still, I don't think the LT wants to lose any more to the D-Bees. I know I don't. I don't think Ridge or King does either. We are the first and last line of defense out here and every loss is a loss for all of us. Hell, everything I've heard has been about us, not personal glory or survival at the expense of others."

When he anted up and drew his hand he took another pull of his drink. "As long as their eyes are on the cause and not themselves, I think we've got better odds than we did before. Hope that answers your question, Susan. Y'all can just call me Josh here by the way. We're not on duty or anythin'."

Ridge gives Hobbs a once over as he takes the accepted seat. Having to give back what he got, he doesn't look impressed with her. "Calling me a tin man, are you? Ohhh, you just hopin' all this here soft tin would turn to hard adamantium when you walked in the door! Tsk, tsk. That would take a woman, wouldn't it?" Ridge looks at the front door. "Maybe if we're lucky, one will join us up in here instead'a all these gorillas we hafta look at." Ridge looks right at Hobbs as he says it, chuckling as he fishes her the first beer out of his six-pack.

"How you doin' Hobbs? How all of you doin'? What's new in the news?" He puts the now-five-pack within easy reach of his fellows.
The Hobbs and the other Special Forces operatives at the table all give off a good chuckle as the woman gets razzed by Ridge, all of them knowing that this was just friendly banter. Another one of the troopers, a lieutenant named Morley Dotes, slides a glass of water over to Hobbs and says, "Here. You should apply that to the burned area." More laughter erupts at the table as Hobbs punches Dotes in the ribs. He goes on to say in a quieter voice, "Have you heard that there has been a push to get some actionable intel on the biology of the Xitictix? Seems that there is some 'lucky' team that is going to be tasked with the job of capturing some of the bugs alive for experimentation to see what is going to be the best way to kill the damn things. Personally, I don't see the issue with a well placed rail gun round between the eyes, but that's just me."

A third member of the drinking party, a fellow named Garret, says, "Well, if we can come up with some super sized can of bug spray to kill the damn things, we can save the ammo for something else. Maybe save a few lives of us crunchies, too. I sure as hell don't want to try to go down into one of their hives to try and dig out the queen and kill it. That is just crazy talk when there are tens of thousands of those things running around up on the surface, with probably just as many below ground. Naah, I'll be happy to stick with taking out some stupid magic users with a dose of 9mm aspirin to the head."

Hobbs says, "Didn't you hear? If we can capture magic users, we can rehabilitate them. First, you just got to make them unable to cast magic anymore with some cyber hands replacing their old ones. Seems that messes up their powers something fierce. Then, we can educate them on the benefits of the Coalition, and put them to work doing something for the betterment of all mankind." She chuckles at the image of some former mage working in an assembly line, building more tools to end the risk of the Dbees from destroying the world.

There is more talk back and forth between the bunch, but other than what you've already heard, there is nothing new being said.

The crowd at Smiling Jacks is a friendly one, and there are no problems of bar room fights here. As the night goes on, King finally says, "Well, I'm going to turn in. I need my beauty sleep, since I don't get this good looking all on my own. Besides, I have a few pieces of paperwork to go over before evening formation. Remember, 2000 hours. Don't be late." With that, he knocks back the last of his beer and pushes off from the table and heads for the door.

Vaneheart Vaneheart Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon Is there anything you wish to do in particular?

At the barracks, the poker game goes on for a while, chips changing hands with each deal of the cards. Now that the group has done its part to try and pump Josh for info, the rest of the game continues on with more munchies consumed and a good time was had by all. In the end, Josh is up two dollars before a glance at the clock shows that you don't have too much longer before evening formation to get the break room cleaned up before one of the officers or MSG King comes walking through. No need to give any of them a reason to go all postal on you.

Is there anything you wish to do in particular?
Unless something happens to us, Stacey will just enjoy her few drinks and then head to the barracks for evening roll call.

Hobbs says, "Didn't you hear? If we can capture magic users, we can rehabilitate them. First, you just got to make them unable to cast magic anymore with some cyber hands replacing their old ones. Seems that messes up their powers something fierce. Then, we can educate them on the benefits of the Coalition, and put them to work doing something for the betterment of all mankind." She chuckles at the image of some former mage working in an assembly line, building more tools to end the risk of the Dbees from destroying the world.

There is more talk back and forth between the bunch, but other than what you've already heard, there is nothing new being said.

Ridge enjoys his time with his fellow war family, but having gotten what intel he can get, he says his fond farewells. "Hobbs, you can tease me anytime lest this metal body and mind of mine get... rusty! You all kick ass out there and make the Emperor proud by coming back not like me! Heh heh!"

With that, Ridge pays the table's tab (if there is one; Psychie Psychie , let me know how much to subtract from his credits?) and heads over to Smiling Jacks for the same purpose.

Ridge enjoys his time with his fellow war family, but having gotten what intel he can get, he says his fond farewells. "Hobbs, you can tease me anytime lest this metal body and mind of mine get... rusty! You all kick ass out there and make the Emperor proud by coming back not like me! Heh heh!"

With that, Ridge pays the table's tab (if there is one; Psychie Psychie , let me know how much to subtract from his credits?) and heads over to Smiling Jacks for the same purpose.
When you pick up the tab, you see that the bill comes to 120 credits for the lot. They all thank you and make sure you know that the next time, you'll have to let one of them get your drinks in return.

Heading over to Smiling Jack's, you have about two hours before evening roll call to try and get some more information. Walking in, the general atmosphere of the place gives off a friendlier vibe than Ruby's did, and you see MSG King rising up from one table with a few of your squad members at it, enjoying some light snacks and a few drinks. It looks like you caught King heading for the door.

He looks up to you and gives a friendly greeting. "Evening, Lieutenant. I was just about to head back to the platoon area and do some paperwork. It seems that I am never done with trying to keep count of every rail gun round and MRE pack that gets loaded on the Gloria. What brings you here, sir? Anything I need to be aware of?"

Time goes by, and soon you all need to be back at the platoon area for evening roll call. After the formality of making sure that everyone is accounted for, everyone is released for the rest of the night to shower and get some sleep.

Come 0530, the barracks is now once more alive with activity as everyone is waking up and getting the last of their gear ready to deploy. All of the gear is stowed, and everyone is tucked safely into the Gloria to drive out and meet the rest of the company on maneuvers. Just before setting out, Capt. Cruz comes walking up with another officer, escorted by six Skelebots. Lt. Summer comes out to meet up with the Captain, and in just a minute, she comes back into the APC with the second man and the Skelebots.

Summer calls out, "4th platoon, listen up! We have a passenger that we have been tasked to deliver to the assembly area. This is Capt. Ramsey of the Intelligence Division. He is an observer on this drive out and is not in command, but you are to remember that he is still a superior officer and you will treat him with all due respect. Things will be a little tight with Capt. Ramsey in here with us, but suck it up because there is nothing to be done about it." As she talks, the six Skelebots head to the rear of the Gloria and pack themselves into a tight corner, and Capt. Ramsey comes up next to Lt. Summer.

She goes on with, "We roll out in ten. Lt. Ridge and MSG King, with me." She stands off to one side, and in a quiet voice, she says, "I have been informed by Captain Cruz that step one of our mission is to deliver Capt. Ramsey to the assembly point, and that is our priority. All other orders are considered secondary, and that comes from far above his head. We will protect the Captain, and get the job done because we are Warlords, and that is what we do. Leave the Captain to his own work, and make sure he is not disturbed by the team. Any questions?"
Purr Purr

If there are none, the LT motions for everyone to make their way back to the Gloria and everyone takes their seats for the drive. The APC's engine fires up with a dull rumble, and with a gentle jerk, the large vehicle starts to move. The grunts in the passenger bay quickly settle down into a simple routine of a long drive: some card playing, and others performing routine cleaning of their rifles, and a handful start to nod off into sleep to pass the time.

Several hours go by of uneventful driving, but that is soon interrupted by an alert signal from the radio operator. It is as if a switch has been flipped as the relaxed and sleepy soldiers quickly and efficiently jump into action and grab their weapons and man the guns on the APC. Lt. Summer pokes her head over the shoulder of the man on the comms, asking, "What's the alert?"

"Ma'am, I am getting a signal using allied codes requesting combat support due to enemy contact. According to the signal, it is a five man squad out there under fire, and all their signals are showing current codes. It looks to be legit."

The LT nods. "Where is the signal coming from? Do you have coordinates?"

"Yes, ma'am. They are twelve miles northeast of our position, in some pretty rough territory. It will take the Gloria a bit of time to work her way though all that crap out there to get to the target area, but we can do it."

She thinks for a moment, then says, "Ridge! Your squad feeling up to a bit of air support? Get out there with those SAMAS suits of yours and get some help to our people out there."

Sherwood Sherwood Purr Purr Vaneheart Vaneheart Silanon Silanon Rykon Rykon

When the alert signal comes up, Stacey's eyes open up from the doze she was in with a snap. Sitting up, she looks to her squad and platoon leaders to see what the order is going to be. Then, Lt. Summer says to Lt. Ridge to take the SAMAS armor out, she moves quickly, planning on not being the last one to get her suit powered up and ready to fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back