Closed.

She was still buttoning her coat when a messenger came pounding at Mrs Larrimer's door. A gas main blew in a factory on the river, he said, and Mr Woodsworth wished to see Clara at once.

--

Woodsworth's building was dark and silent, but he and his secretary were both as neat and alert as if it were nine o'clock in the morning instead of five. Woodsworth indicated to Clara to help herself to tea.

"You're familiar with Merrill Steamworks?" He asked. It was a rhetorical question. Everyone was familiar with Merrill Steamworks. They made the mechs used to defend the borders of the Empire. "They have a new line of mechanical soldiers forthcoming. Built along the same lines as the Army model, but shrunken down to fit through city streets. They've finally managed to make the boiler efficient enough to require only a three-man team, pilot and two aides. We field-tested the prototypes in Loegria and the Kingsford police were to be outfitted with them later this year."

That was the first Clare had heard of such a plan. The image of police officers patrolling the streets inside miniaturized mechs filled her mind.

- Be enthusiastic as the police deserves the best protection.
- Be wary of using the mechs inside the city.
- Be troubled that you have just now heard of it.

Be wary of using mechs inside the city
Clara glanced at the tea, and she couldn't help a grin crawl onto her face, If Finch was here he'd be drinking mint tea, and instead he missed one of their more interesting jobs she would be starting.

She nodded, recalling Merrill Steamworks from her time in the military and they were certainly important when Mercia was at war. However, the image of mechs in Kingsford put a sour taste in her mouth, and she wanted to spit it out with foul words. Instead, Clara pursed her lips momentarily, before continuing diplomatically. "Of course. But do you not think the use of mechs could be dangerous to the public if there is a malfunction, or if someone unlawfully uses one?"

"It is needed, Detective. Their plan was good, with all the necessary precautions included, the safety mechanisms in order. At least..." Woodsworth answered with a grimace. "That was the plan until recently. A few hours ago, saboteurs planted an explosive device in Merrill's secondary factory." He waited for Clare's reaction.

- Ask about the factory.
- Ask if there were any fatalities.
- Ask about the clues so far.

Ask about the facotry
"Secondary?" Clara repeated quizzically, before thinking aloud, "If someone wanted to properly sabotage the operation, why not Merrill's main factory?" It simply didn't make sense. Perhaps they were just aiming for a message, a warning? She continued to press about the factory, if it was the target, there had to have been a reason. "What do we know about the factory that was sabotaged?"

"The secondary factory was supposed to be opened today. Perhaps the saboteur wanted to be dramatic? Besides that, I wouldn't know." Woodsworth shrugged. "One imagines the culprits to be those who do not want to see an increased police presence in the East End. Criminals, in other word. Fortunately no one was in the building."

There was a tap at the door. "Mr Woodsworth?" His secretary called.

"Yes?" Woodsworth answered, and the opportunity to ask him anything else was gone. It was a useful lesson to always secure the most crucial pieces of information first. In this investigation, time will be of the essence, and it may not always be possible to be completely thorough.

The secretary came into the office. "Excuse me, sir, but there is an urgent communication" She waved an envelope.

"One moment." Woodsworth turned back to Clara. "Briefly, then, here's the rest of the situation. Two men were seen leaving the building at a run just as it exploded behind them. We caught one. He's unconscious in hospital. I need you to find the other. Your cover as a police surgeon will get you in the door. I've arranged for you to be assigned to the case. With any luck, they'll all be too busy to ask about details." He finished, pushing himself out of his chair. "Now, you to your work, I to mine."

- Go to the scene of the explosion.
- Talk to the factory owner.
- Interview the eyewitnesses.
- Visit the caught saboteur in the hospital.

Interview the eyewitnesses.
"We'll find out soon." she replied confidently. Clara was capable to solve a case without Finch, and that was something she was eager to prove. Clara stood in time with Woodsworth, nodding respectfully, "Of course. To work." She spun on her heels, striding out of the building, and pausing outside to deliberate the next course of action. Hopefully, the people who had information would best recall it if they were questioned sooner rather than later, so that is where she would start.

Their names were Frank and David Brown, brothers, both middle-aged. Frank was a cab driver and David was a sailor with a merchant marine ship. Clara located them in the precinct where they came freely to offer their testimonies. David's ship came into port late last night, and he and Frank went to the home of one of David's old friends for a drink. Their way back to Frank's home led them past Merrill's.

"We heard a boom." Frank explained. "And so we stopped and we looked over, and then there's footsteps, and we see two men running away from the factory. And then there was a flash of light and a huge boom, and the whole street lit up!"

"One of the men, he just went flying." David added. "Lifted off his feet and thrown. He hit the ground and didn't move, and I saw the other one look back and hesitate, but then I think he saw me coming up to his friend, and he took off."

"The one who ran, I think I've seen him before. Can't remember where." Frank said. "Too far away to see his face. The one who's in hospital I've seen for the first time in my life."

That was all there was to their testimonies, they claimed they haven't seen anything further.

- Go to the scene of the explosion.
- Visit the caught saboteur in the hospital.

Go to the scene of the explosion.
"Thank you. Have a good day." Clara gave a small smile, glad for their information. Though it was frustrating they didn't have more to give her, especially about the saboteur who wasn't injured in the explosion. How would one of these witnesses have known him? It nagged at the back of her mind as she weaved through the streets towards the site of Merrill's now ruined factory.

The constables at the remains of the factory assured Clara that no one was injured on site. The factory's grand opening was planned for that morning and the explosive was placed in the very brief time between the departure of the construction crew and the expected arrival of the factory laborers. However, the constables allowed Clara to go and check for herself.

She saw that the explosive device was placed deep in the building, where the actual manufacture of small mechs would take place, though certainly not now.

A further chat with the constables outside elicited the information that the explosive was made using dynamite, just like those Loegrian bombers three years ago. One of the constables was convinced this was once again their doing.

"Quite possible." His partner added. "There's a lot of them in this neighborhood. The Lighteater temple three streets over attracts them."

- Visit the saboteur in the hospital.
- Visit the Sun Temple.
- Report your findings.

Talk to the factory owner.
The situation was intriguing. It seemed with each new discovery, it became more complex and rather than gaining answers, more questions flooded her thoughts. At least she still had much to investigate which would hopefully help her understand better than she did. The constables proposed a plausible idea, but Clara felt that the Loegrian motives were minimal, compared to other possible culprits. But of course, she had to remain unbiased, no matter how much she wanted to easily point to someone like Alexander Townsend; someone she had a distaste for. Clara could only think to respond with "Thank you, please trust that I will find the perpetrator", before turning to go find the factory owner. The temple would come later, despite the constables suggesting it now.

Despite the mess with the other one, Merrill's main factory had opened for business as usual that day.

The front office was empty except for a single clerk at a desk. Behind him were two doors. He greeted Clara politely, asked her business, looked at her detective credentials, and said he would take her card to Mr Merrill. Waving her to a chair opposite his desk, he vanished through the door on the left. Clara could hear his footsteps receding up a flight of stairs.

From behind the other door came a babble of voices, and then the thump and creak of heavy machinery. The door on the right must lead into the factory directly.

- Sit in the chair and wait.
- Examine the clerk's paperwork.
- Go to the door on the right and into the factory.

Go to the door on the right and into the factory.
Paradoxically, it both unnerved her and calmed her that the main factory was still operational. It felt as though there should have been some disturbance, but it made it seem the situation wasn't as terrible as she first thought; her mind immediately thought explosions meant war. Clara entered the factory and conversed with the clerk, ending in them departing to retrieve Mr. Merrill.

There was little time before the footsteps would reach the door. Clara approached the door on the right, fingers hesitating to open the door for a moment. But the inner workings of the factory could give her an idea of why someone wouldn't want another. She pulled it open, allowing herself to scan the factory beyond, and the mechanical sounds to reverberate in her ears.

As she walked into the factory quarter, the smell hit her. It was strong and rancid, filled with steam. What stuck out to Clara, however, was that most of the employers were women and children. Their hands were black up to elbows with soot and oil and they all looked pale and tired. Working in that factory couldn't be good for health.

Footsteps on the left stairway warned Clara of the clerk's return. She hurried to the chair, sitting there as calm and polite as she pleased when Mr Merrill followed his clerk through the door.

He was a solidly built man, well dressed, but his clothing had the rumpled appearance of having been hastily donned, and his eyes had the look of one pulled out of his bed in the middle of the night. Not unlike Clara was. He looked from her card to her. "Detective Whitley? I think there must have been some mistake, ma'am. I have filed a report to the police already."

- Say you would like to go over it again.
- Say you are there to clarify a couple of details.
- Say you served in the army and his mechs helped you out immensely.

Say you are there to clarify a couple details.
The sight made her sick. She couldn't relate personally, but suffering in the war was still unpleasant and she could understand that the workers suffered from inhumane conditions. Clara had to quickly turn her cheek, sitting down before Mr. Merrill entered as she made her expression as polite as possible, despite her increasing distaste for the man and his work.

She couldn't judge Mr. Merrill for his disheveled appearance, for she certainly had the same look. "No mistake, sir. I'm here to clarify some details, just to ensure all our notes are correct, and to fill any holes we've found since the investigation got underway." Clara gave a small, reassuring smile.

Mr Merrill nodded. "Anything I can do to help, of course. Come upstairs."

His office was well kept, comfortably if not grandly furnished. It contained a desk stacked with business papers, cushioned chairs for visitors, and a table to which were pinned sketches and diagrams of the machines.

Merrill told Clara stuff she already knew. The factory was empty only for a few hours, between the time the last construction crew left and the first day's workers were due to arrive. The damage was so severe as to require complete rebuilding. No miniaturised mechs will be produced for some time now.

"What else can I tell you, Detective?" He asked, hands folded across his desk.

- Ask who he thinks the culprit is.
- Ask if he knows someone that wished him harm.
- Ask if he has any business rivals.
- Ask about the factory.
- Ask why he employs mostly women and children.

Ask about the factory.
Clara glanced around the office, before taking a seat after Mr. Merrill. There was nothing out of the ordinary. "May I ask how you run your factory? Employment, jobs, raw sources. Anything unique?" she paused, grimacing at her own question, "I know it's broad but any information could help in identifying culprits." Clara kept her hands respectfully in her lap, though her fingers weaved through another in nervousness.

"Well, that should be quite obvious, I think." Mr Merrill answered. "We break the manufacture of the mechs, standard or miniature, into the smallest possible components. This removes the requirement for great physical strength, or intelligence, for that matter. All the worker must do is his or her tiny bit, over and over again. This allows me to hire women and orphans, those who would need work, but would not get it anywhere else. I think that they are pretty pleased with working for me."

- Ask if he knows someone that wished him harm.

Ask who he thinks the culprit is.
Clara managed to play a sorry smile onto her lips, "Manufacturing isn't my forte, I'm afraid." She gritted her teeth to mask her distaste, but from what she saw, the women and children did not seem pleased with their conditions. No matter how much she wanted to help, she had a task she had to complete - a culprit to find. "Who do you think the culprit is, Mr. Merrill?"

"Well, that's beyond me. I haven't seduced anyone's wife or stolen anyone's patent. But now you mention it..." Merrill's eyes narrowed. "Someone ought to look into that nest of meddlesome healers three streets over."

He explained further.

"There's a Temple of the Sun on Juniper Street. They have had the audacity to invade my place of business, wishing to discuss with me the 'conditions of my factory'! The conditions here are no worse than anywhere else. You'd think to hear them talk I used slave labor! But they've singled me out for a campaign of harassment. Written letters about me to The Times and protested before the factory with signs and generally disturbed the peace. I reported them to the police each time, and the nonsense finally stopped. But they might be at it again."

- No more questions.

Ask if he has any business rivals.
Clara nodded along with Merrill's accusations, and knowing the working conditions here were status quo irritated her. "I will be going there soon, though, I have one last question. Do you have any business rivals? If someone hasn't got a personal vendetta, it may be sabotage."

"Not any longer. The government prefers my firm to Jones and Sedgewick because we use a higher grade of material. Of course we do, I wouldn't shortchange the Army lads, not when my own brother died serving the Empire. We have lower costs overall, so we can charge a bit less."

A knock on the door cut off the conversation, and the clerk from the outer office entered. "I apologize for interrupting, sir, but the gentleman from the insurance agency..."

"Yes, of course, I will see him at once." Mr Merrill rose, forcing Clara to do the same and effectively ending the interview. "I hope I have given you enough information to be getting on with, Detective."

The day had advanced far. Clara would have time for only one or two more stops today.

- Visit the first saboteur in the hospital.
- Investigate the Sun Temple.

Investigate the Sun Temple.
Clara dipped her head, "Thank you, Mr. Merrill." before exiting the factory.

Being referenced to look into an area twice piqued her interest. Though, it didn't surprise her that it was a Sun Temple. People who used magic tended to be involved in less than noble things. Clara hadn't realized how much time had passed until she was striding through the few streets to approach the temple. How did time always seem to get away from her? She didn't feel that she'd been remotely productive - was that because Finch wasn't there? And why did she think so much about Finch when he was missing? With a sigh, Clara found herself dragging her feet towards the temple.

Three hundred years ago the Temple would have stood alone, gleaming white stone rising out of green and golden fields. The Sun Temples once owned a huge percentage of the land of Mercia. In the Vlaski Empire, they still do.

But the Mercian government confiscated the land when it broke the power of the Sun Temples and in the past three hundred years, the city of Kingsford had crept farther and farther east. Now the temple was surrounded by the factories that made the Empire run and the tenements of the people who work in them.

Clara climbed the steps and pulled the bell at the door.

A slit in the door slid open and a man with flaming red hair looked out at her. After Clara explained the need to see the man in charge of the temple and showed her credentials, the guard's lips pressed together, but he let her in.

It was like stepping three centuries back in time. The only light came from torches guttering in wall sconces. The walls and floor were stone. The guard called through the inner doorway and a boy of perhaps ten ran off with the message, exactly like a medieval castle page.

After a little while the child returned to lead Clara down one of the four long corridors that led from the entryway and to a room that looked like a modern office or study, which was very unusual.

The walls and floor were stone, of course, but the papers and ledgers piled on the desk were mundane enough. The man sitting behind them was a tired-looking priest. His hands were smudged with ink.

390fe33c2bae1205feef48be8938ba2b.jpg

He rose as Clara entered, dismissing the page with a smiled thanks, then turning the smile to Clara.

"Detective Whitley?" He inquired in a faintly Loegrian-accented baritone. "Christopher Taggart." He did not offer his hand, perhaps thinking she would not wish to take it, but only gestured her to the room's other chair. "What may I do for you?"

- Be friendly.
- Pretend to be friendly in order to get more information.
- Be professional.
- Be antagonistic.

Pretend to be friendly in order to get more information.
The architecture was archaic, which was unnerving and Clara was weary with each step she took. Being in a place with a large amount of sun magic being used made her indescribably uncomfortable. Eventually, she came upon the priest, who introduced himself as Christopher Taggart. "Indeed. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Taggart." Clara forced a smile onto her face, appearing friendly beyond belief. In reality, the detective was in search of more information. People tended to give it up easier if they trusted you, however. She went to the chair and took a seat, before continuing, "I'm sure you're aware of the explosion nearby, unfortunately. I'm currently investigating it, and your temple has appeared on places of interest," Clara paused, letting her expression soften for theatrics, "Both because you're nearby... and more woefully, some complaints and accusations."

"I have heard the explosion." The priest nodded, wiping the ink from his fingertips with a handkerchief. When his pale eyes met Clara's, it was clear that this was something he experienced often.

The people in Mercia had strayed away from sun worship in the past years. Not only that, but the awful experience in the war with Vlask had turned them suspicious and antagonistic toward sun worship in their Kingdom. The Sun Temples' residents were often the first stop in the way of suspects when anything happened. There was a document up for vote to even forbid the priests from taking in orphaned children, like the page that led Clara to the office, in order not to indoctrinate them from a young age. It was very extremist, but perhaps it was necessary. The opinions were divided.

"Here we have only priests and children, Detective, and neither are prone to erratic behaviour. I can tell you already that we are not harbouring any criminals, but I guess that will not stop you." He gave her a tired sigh. "You have a job to do, after all. If you wish to inspect the Temple, please do so."

- Inspect the Temple.
- Interrogate the priest.
- Leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back