• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

CLOSED Travelers of Ragoreth - Post-apocalyptic DnD 5e Campaign (DnD Newbies welcome!)

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
CLOSED

• B95E2D0B-C94F-459F-9DF0-F0E528689513.png
    (Credit for the general shape of the map goes to Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator)

Any child could tell you the tale of the Old Ones—a handful of beings so powerful that their disputes left scars on the world which haven't healed in the thousands of years since their creation, and show no sign of doing so for thousands of years more. They were greedy, corrupt things that cared not for the effects their conquests on the people of Ragoreth. No matter how much land they ruled, how much sway they had in the lives of every soul under their command, they would never be satisfied with anything less than complete control of the world.

Naturally, when so many powerful beings thirst for the same thing, they come to war over who gets it. And, like most wars, this conflict had a name. The Cataclysm.

The exact moment that the Cataclysm began has never been properly recorded, but the general consensus comes at around 1000 B.D. (before demise), meaning that it lasted for about 1000 years before it's end brought upon the first year of the new age. In that time, the havens—small areas of safety that protect from the effects of the apocalyptic lands outside—were founded by minor gods (now more often known as New Gods) and populated by the lucky few mortals that managed to get to them.

After the Old One's disappearance and the subsequent "end" of the Cataclysm, they continued to stand as the only true places of safety from the still-dangerous lands they lay surrounded by. In the current day, 1263 A.C. (after Cataclysm), the average person lives in one of the many havens scattered across the world, and very few dare to venture beyond their bubble of safety. However, Travelers between havens are needed to facilitate trade, send messages, and various other inter-haven tasks.

This is where our party comes in. Perhaps you've always wanted to be a Traveler, perhaps you've simply been drawn in by the often exuberant fees people will pay a well-known travelling group. Whatever the case, may luck be on your side, for travelling across the post-apocalyptic lands of Ragoreth is a dangerous occupation, and no small number have met their demise attempting it.

~~~

DM - Dungeon master, hosts the game, controls NPCs and enemies, it's a DM's job to make the game fun for their players
    PC - Player character
    NPC - Non-player character
    Homebrew - Content used for DnD that wasn't officially published, custom content
    5e - Fifth edition (latest edition of DnD currently)
    Campaign - A DnD story, essentially a single DnD roleplay
    Mechanics - Refers to how the game works/the numbers and technical side of DnD, essentially all of the rules that separate DnD from regular roleplaying

Hello! I'm Bitty, the DM looking to run this DnD 5e campaign. In case anything above wasn't clear, this will take place in the post-apocalyptic world of Ragoreth, which is a custom setting of mine. It will center around a travelling party starts doing jobs together (the exact details of how exactly this happens will have to be ironed out once we get all the players and PCs gathered up, though I do have a starting place in mind), and the overarching plot will likely have many conflicts relating to tensions between factions, progressing in a ruined world, and lack of resources. As a lot of DnD campaigns tend to be, this'll probably also end up taking on a lot of found-family aspects, but—like any good DnD plot—the direction it takes will depend heavily on whatever the players are interested in. Derailing (meaning going off the original plans of the DM) is expected and encouraged.

Due to the cultural and technological variations between havens, plenty of character origins will fit into this setting, and I'll happily worldbuild with players to create a part of Ragoreth that will work for their backstory. That being said, we will be starting at level 1 (the lowest power level), so do remember that your characters won't have any world-shattering abilities at the start of the rp, and their backstories should reflect this.

This campaign will feature lots of exploration, and will likely be more oriented to roleplay than combat. I will be doing my best to make this campaign somewhat challenging, so there is a chance that your character might die, but that will never be my aim, and—if you want—I'll see what we can do about trying to bring them back (after all, DnD literally has a resurrection spell). I won't promise it'll be easy, though.

Due to the importance of travel, resource management will factor into this campaign as well. I'll try to prevent TPKs via starvation and such, but do know that not bringing supplies with you on missions can result in consequences like incurring a debt to someone who happened to come along to help your party, needing to scavenge for food mid-trip, or other things like that. If that's not your interest, though, then I'll allow you to just say "assume I bought the basic supplies" before any trip outside of the havens, and I'll simply make you note down how much those resources cost and assume you ran out at the same time another party member did.

All rolling and OOC talk will be done on a Discord server, which means that a Discord is required to join the campaign. Homebrew content from players will be allowed, but it has to be run by me first. As stated in the title, this will be a primarily text-based campaign. Voice chatting might be on the table for some specific scenarios, but that depends entirely on the preferences of the group we end up with.

The tabs at the top of this post (rectangle, blue outline) have lots of information about the campaign:
    Rules - Must read before joining, all the ground rules
    Playstyle - Not a required read, some house rules and mechanics I use that you'll probably end up leaning about throughout the course of the campaign
    Setting - Must read basics before joining, further information on Ragoreth, you will likely end up having to understand the broader parts of it before building your character
    Joining - Must read before joining, instructions on how to join

If you're interested, then please reply to this thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

If you missed the tabs at the top of this post, please click through them! They are rectangular buttons with blue outlines, and have important information about the campaign.

Last edited:
This looks really interesting! Just a couple of questions to check in so I don't pick out a character who doesn't fit the setting:
In terms of religion, is it the traditional 5e pantheon or new gods specific to the setting?
Do other magical entities (like the fey/Feywild) exist?
Is the spell Goodberry banned, since that can get around food shortages pretty easily?

Is the spell Goodberry banned, since that can get around food shortages pretty easily?

Eat good! Get Goodberry. It fills you up and provides enough food for ten people and that's just about it. I love this spell and used it many a time to rid myself of the need for lugging around 2-pound rations with my Druid/Cleric.

Lovely setting here, and I wish I could join but cannot. Wishing all of you in it the best!

This looks really interesting! Just a couple of questions to check in so I don't pick out a character who doesn't fit the setting:
In terms of religion, is it the traditional 5e pantheon or new gods specific to the setting?
Do other magical entities (like the fey/Feywild) exist?
God-wise, we're pretty much just throwing in whatever and mixing it in since any singular God is less like a huge world altering entity, and more just like a really strong, ageless mortal, so we can afford to throw new ones in without worrying about why they weren't more important before or anything like that. Traditional 5e pantheon and custom Gods are both on the table. If you want to bring in a God that's usually a major God for patron or backstory reasons, we can probably just edit them a little bit to fit the general power-level and role of Gods in this setting and they'll be fine.

The other planes do exist, but they're hard to get to and get back out of for most people. How to get to them isn't common knowledge in the setting, though, so if you want to talk about a specific one important to a backstory or something, then we might want to take it to the PMs for potential spoilers.

Goodberry isn't banned, although I would probably decide that even the free components (a sprig of mistletoe) have to be used for that spell specifically just so it doesn't completely negate food dangers. Depending on how much y'all want it to factor into the campaign, I could also require it to be a living sprig, so goodberry would only really be useful for a certain time period after stocking up on mistletoe.

What level are you planning on starting PCs at? And on the note of Goodberry, is there anything that you'd like to discourage or set limitations for the sake of the setting?

What level are you planning on starting PCs at? And on the note of Goodberry, is there anything that you'd like to discourage or set limitations for the sake of the setting?
Level one

As far as specific mechanics limitations, nothing has come to mind yet, but a lot of that is situational, so really limitations will probably evolve on a case-by-case basis as the campaign progresses

This world seems super interesting and I've never done DnD before and would like to try.

I have a character concept i'm toying with already but question first. Are there any safe havens in the Grave's Embrace?

This world seems super interesting and I've never done DnD before and would like to try.

I have a character concept i'm toying with already but question first. Are there any safe havens in the Grave's Embrace?
Yup! There are havens in every zone and no single ones have been fleshed out yet other than Theb and Es (I'm planning on making more Havens and lore and such as we go along), so if you've got anything specific in mind, then just mention it and I'll see if I can slot it in

Sorry to everyone interested in this rp, but this campaign is now closed because we've gotten a Lot of applicants. I might let in new players at a later point if a lot of people drop, or I might one day run a new campaign in this setting, but don't bet on it.

Thank you to everyone who showed interest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back