• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic (Closed)Superhuman Defense Force a.k.a. The SDF

Roche777

Fiery Dragon of Storytelling
The Superhuman Defense Force(SDF) is the United Republic’s elite homeland security organization. The sudden rise in the superhuman population that began in 1957 quickly demanded the establishment of a law enforcement organization that specialized in the prevention of superhuman crime. The SDF quickly proved its effectiveness and rose to be the nation’s premier law enforcement agency. Several superhuman training academies have been established across the country to recruit and trains it’s future operatives. The year is now 2031 and you will soon begin your training at the prestigious Green Valley training facility, one of the highest ranked and most state-of-the-art SDF training facilitities. The skills you will learn here will propel your future career as an SDF operative.

I am looking for 3-5 players. This superhuman roleplay will be an interactive experience between players and the environment, game mastered by myself. The roleplay will use a stat system to ground each character’s individual capabilities in a universal logic, allowing character’s capabilities to be easily measured against one another. Each stat will have a rating from 1 to 7. Besides the standard five stats each power will count as its own stat and receive a score. To determine the effectiveness of your power, compare it to the standard stats at the same level that seem applicable. Also, all activated powers will cause exhaustion with prolonged use. Interactions will be governed according to the comparison of applicable scores.

Examples:
Character A(Strength 3) punches Character B(Stamina 4). Character B would win this engagement by 1, the punch would cause little pain or damage. If Character A had Strength 5 he would win the engagement by 1 and cause heavy damage to Character B. Character B might even be dizzy, injured, or fall.

Each Standard Stat will start at 2. Each power requires an investment of at least 2 points to exist. Each character will receive 15 points to invest as they see fit. Standard stats can be decreased to 1, allowing that point to be invested somewhere else.

Levels 1-5 cost 1 point, 6 cost 3 points, and 7 cost 5 points.

Strength (Measures physical power used to jump, lift, push, and damage creatures or objects)
1(child/50lbs) -- 2(average/200lbs) -- 3(power lifter/800lbs) -- 4(small car/1.5 tons) -- 5(elephant/15 tons) -- 6(plane/200 tons) -- 7(Eiffel Tower/10,000 tons)

Stamina (Measures physical endurance over time and ability to resist damage)
1(sick) -- 2(average) -- 3(fighter) -- 4(ballistic) -- 5(tank) -- 6(bomb-shelter) -- 7(indestructible)

Smarts (Measures mental intelligence, memory, and thought speed)
1(deficient) -- 2(average) -- 3(scholar) -- 4(genius) -- 5(super-genius) -- 6(super-computer) -- 7(quantum calculator)

Speed (Measures average running speed and how fluid one can moves through the environment)
(1(crippled/1mph) -- 2(average/15mph) -- 3(sprinter/25mph) -- 4(cheetah/80mph) -- 5(race car/250mph) -- 6(super-sonic/1,000mph) -- 7(hyper-sonic/5,000mph)

Skill (Measures ability to fight with the body, weapons, or firearms)
1(useless) -- 2(average) -- 3(trained) -- 4(elite) -- 5(world champ) -- 6(inhuman) -- 7(absolute master)

For example, let's make a Wolverine clone.

“The Badger”
Strength 2 + 1 = 3(power lifter)
Stamina 2 + 1 = 3(soldier)
Smarts 2 + 1 = 3(scholar)
Speed 2 + 1 = 3(sprinter)
Skill 2 + 3 = 5(world champ)

Bone Claws 2(Increase physical damage)

"To determine the durability or sharpness of the claws I would compare their score against the Standard Stats that seem to apply. Let's go with Strength for sharpness and Stamina for durability. 2 is Average so I could say they are as durable as average bone and have an average sharpness."
Regeneration 2(Wound recovery)
"Following the above example, lets determine what kinds of wounds I could recover from in a "short" period of time. Let base this on Strength, so with Regeneration 2 I could recover from the equivalent of normal punches and kicks instantaneously. Wolverine would have Regeneration 4 in the movies, and Regeneration 5 in the comics."
Metal Skeleton 4(Increases skeletal strength and durability)
"The intention of the Power is to increase durability and the effectiveness of my Bone Claws. I could reasonably say that my bones now has Stamina 4(ballistic) level durability and my claws could now damage a Stamina 4(ballistic) character."

Other examples:
Fly 2(15mph), 4(60mph), 6(Super-sonic flight speed)
Blast 2(Palm blast with the strength of a punch) 4(Eye laser that could flip a car or blow a door off its hinges), 6(lightning blast that could destroy a tank and damage a military grade blast door)

This is meant to be free form so do not get hung up on the specifics. This is still a story telling roleplay and is not meant to be a video game with hard math. The above example is close to the movie version of Wolverine, only really missing enhanced senses, but would still feel quite similar. More points will be given out in the future allowing each character to grow in strength throughout the story. If you would be interested let me know down below and feel free to ask questions. If you want to secure a position, provide a sample character like the one above and I will know you are seriously invested in playing. Thank you.

Name: Jesse Smith
Alias: Totally Not Jesse Smith
Age: 16+ (Under 18 cannot be ranked and must be supervised by a B-Rank Hero on mission.)

Strength 2
Stamina 2
Smarts 2
Speed 2
Skill 2

Powers:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Tatiana Valentina
Alias: Titania
Stats: Strength 7 / Stamina 5 / Smarts 2 / Speed 2 / Skill 2
Powers: N/A
Points spent:
14 (1Floating)
Name: Jae Maxwell
Alias: Oni
Stats: Strength 4(2) / Stamina 4(2) / Smarts 2 / Speed 4(2) / Skill 6(6)
Powers: Heightened Reflexes 3(3)
Name: Teagan Miller
Alias: Sweet T

Strength: 2
Stamina: 5
Smarts: 6
Speed: 6
Skill: 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Sam Gannen
Alias: Blackout

Strength: 3
Stamina: 3
Smarts: 4
Speed: 3
Skill: 6

Powers: Dark orbs (4) - Sam is able to create orbs of some sort of extra-dimensional energy in the palms of his hands. Once this orb touches solid matter, the energy expands to several times their original size. However, this expansion has no physical properties, meaning it doesn't cause any damage; in fact, it travels through most matter. In this way, Sam can still create darkness around people who are, for example, hiding behind a wall as the energy would extend through the wall. Once the new sphere is set, all light is devoured by the energy, essentially causing the inside of the sphere to be completely dark. It should also be noted that the energy anchors itself to whatever solid matter originally caused its expansion. This allows Sam to adhere his spheres to himself, opponents, or even moving vehicles.
Name: Currently in question
Alias: Currently in question

Stamina: 2
Smarts: 7
Speed: 2

Powers:
Create (2) - Currently pending description.
Destroy (2)- Currently pending description.
Name: Carmine Vandross
Alias: Bishop
Strength: 3 (1)
Stamina: 3 (1)
Smarts: 3 (1)
Speed: 3 (1)
Skill: 7 (11)

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like the character creation for a TTRPG I'm hyped for. I'm not quite sure if I want to join, but it doesn't look half bad.

You could definitely adapt this as a simple/stream lined d6 system, just add Social and maybe Senses as attributes. I play TTRPG and have design a few systems of my own. Give it some thought, maybe follow the page. Maybe it will grow on you.

You could definitely adapt this as a simple/stream lined d6 system, just add Social and maybe Senses as attributes. I play TTRPG and have design a few systems of my own. Give it some thought, maybe follow the page. Maybe it will grow on you.
I don't have any grievances with the system or anything. I'm just indecisive.

I may be interested, but yeah with stats it's often hard to decide what to put what into. For clarity to double check though....
Say a character was Average in every stat (2). If i bought 1 Power....that would be Power (2) with 13 points left?. With the example of Regeneration would the Strength and Stamina be important for that power or or those extra points to be spent in it? then what does the 2 points spent for Regeneration do?.

Final thing on powers for now...how would you handle Power Stunts? ie Using Shapeshifting to Fly/Stretch/Grow...something outside just shapeshifting but still feasable use of said power, and how would you handle more abstract powers?

On another note, Will you be using a Discord at all for OOC communications/updates? And do you have some more information about the SDF? ie Age of most 1st year attendees

Quick Example one to make sure I got this right, will likely bounce points around and asking questions about difference between a 2 and 3, or 3 and 4 etc. But was off top of my head a simple character.

Stats: Strength 7 / Stamina 7 / Smarts 2 / Speed 2 / Skill 2
Powers: Growth 3 / Shapeshift 2

Say a character was Average in every stat (2). If i bought 1 Power....that would be Power (2) with 13 points left?
Yes! Good job. 1 more point would increase the power to 3, and so on according to the point cost.

With the example of Regeneration would the Strength and Stamina be important for that power or or those extra points to be spent in it? then what does the 2 points spent for Regeneration do?.
The text after the powers are examples of how to gauge the effectiveness of the power. To determine the effectiveness of any power, compare its score (2) to the benefits of (2) in any of the standard statistics. 2 is Average, so we would say you could recover from Average wounds(bruises, abrasions, minor cuts, sprains) and recover an average level of stamina in a "short" time period. Wolverines healing factor would be Regeneration 4 or even 5, able to heal from severe flesh wounds, toxins, diseases, and extreme fatigue in a "short" time period. Wolverine was once cut in half and it took about a month of bed rest to recover.

Final thing on powers for now...how would you handle Power Stunts? ie Using Shapeshifting to Fly/Stretch/Grow...something outside just shapeshifting but still feasable use of said power, and how would you handle more abstract powers?
For Shapeshifting your maximum strength, size, and speed would be determined by your investment, so Shapeshift 2 would restict you to things of human average strength. size, and speed. So you could Shapeshift to a form with wings to gain flight, but would only move at average human speed. Perigrine falcon can dive at Speed 5(racecar), an elephant can flip a car Strength 4(small car) but not lift itself Strength5(elephant). The numbers are mostly meant to settle interactions. If you Shapeshift 3 into a gorilla you will have Strength, Stamina, and Speed 3, if I have Strength 4 I would win a contest of strength.

Let's look at an abstract example like technomancy. How much technology can I interface with and command at one time? I would compare this feat to Smart. 2 average human interface speed(work a keypad), 3 (hack a computer remotely at a standard speed), 4 (interact with multiple interfaces and perform operations at high speed) and so on. I would use Speed as a distance reference 2(Close range), 3(within sight), 4(a few miles away), 5(across town), 6(several hundred miles), 7(world wide) These are all relative and just meant to be examples of reasonable limitations.

Stats: Strength 7(11) / Stamina 7(11) / Smarts 2 / Speed 2 / Skill 2
Powers: Growth 3(3) / Shapeshift 2(2)
"Levels 1-5 cost 1 point, 6 cost 3 points, and 7 cost 5 points." It is a small line and I probably need to make it stand out more. You are over invested(27 points) but on the right track. Level 6 and 7 are more expensive for balance. I will clean up the format to make it easier to understand. I added cost in parenthesis to make it easy to see cost. Lets try to rework your numbers a little.

Stats: Strength 5(3) / Stamina 5(3) / Smarts 3(1) / Speed 2 / Skill 2
Powers: Growth 3(3) / Shapeshift 5(5)

Here is an example that maintains your natural strength/toughness, and expands your shapeshifting to allow very strong forms. With 5 Strength/Stamina/Speed forms available you could reasonably become a dinosaur, or a super fairy able to fly roughly 200 mph. To determine Growth lets evaluate it as an increase in weight. Comparing to Strength we could say size increase equals 2(100lbs), 3(500lbs), 4(1 ton), 5(10 tons), 6(100 tons), 7(1000 tons)

Or if your intention is for you transformations to be super strong, but your human form to be more average, i.e. Beast Boy you could do as follows.

Stats: Strength 3(1) / Stamina 3(1) / Smarts 3(1) / Speed 3(1) / Skill 2
Powers: Growth 3(3) / Shapeshift 6(8)

This example would make for an athletic human, with the ability to grow larger, and take on an extremely powerful form.

I hope this has clarified a few things. Remember the numbers are mostly for interaction comparisons, and are meant to be free form. Thank you for showing so much interest and all your great questions.

Last edited:
I am looking for Hero players, but would eventually allow player to create Villians to engage the party as antagonist.

Definitely interested! Still thinking on who the character is, their backstory, what they'd look like in and out of costume and their name. But let me know if it's alright. I also have a couple of questions regarding the rp and the setting.

For the rp, do you have a general idea on the posting requirements, and how often posts would be? And for the setting, how did people start to develop powers?

Name: Jae Maxwell
Alias: Oni
Stats: Strength 4(2) / Stamina 4(2) / Smarts 2 / Speed 4(2) / Skill 6(6)
Powers: Heightened Reflexes 3(3)

Last edited:
1 or 2 post a week should be enough, especially is they have good content. There is no hard limit on length, but the more you interact, the more interaction you will get in return. Player will also receive more point to advance their characters as the story goes on. Active players who contribute to the roleplay will receive points more often than players who rarely post or provide only a few sentences. Participation will be rewarded.

Name: Teagan Miller
Alias: Sweet T

Stamina: 5
Smarts: 6
Speed: 6

So something like this for superspeed?

Hm.

Would it be possible to make something like Overdrive from My Hero Academia? I'm basing it off of actual scientific calculations, however. Like, if the character wanted to make a plate of steel, he'd have to actually rearrange atoms around to achieve the result, and maybe even the basic matter of atoms themselves- AKA neutrons, protons, electrons. Therefore, he'd have to take into account quantity of the items he's converting.

Phineas Forge Phineas Forge
Yes! That is very well done. You would be extremely fast and smart, with the durability of a tank. Simple but effective build.

darkborn darkborn
I am guessing you are talking about Overhaul? I would say that Construction and Destruction would be be two separate Powers. Destruction would be simple touch and destroy with greater power and effectiveness at higher levels. Construction would grow in complexity and finesse at higher levels, but also be limited by your Smarts(i.e. understanding of chemistry, metallurgy, mechanics, and technology). It is definitely doable though.

Roche777 Roche777

Ok so one more thing, would certain abilities ever add together to pump them higher? For some examples.
Say i had a Strength 5, and then Growth 4 both Active, how would that go if against a Stamina 6? While normally the 6 would beat the 5 would the 4 Growth have any impact on it?.
Another example would be Aphro with Speed 4 and Heightened Reflexes 3

To expand on the power stunt question, how about simply stunts from having high strength? ie Thunderclaps, Ground Pound Shockwaves, Power Jumps etc?.
Also, i think you missed the question about Discord/OOC communications, as some questions/talking is far quicker using such methods than RPN (Plus when RPN forgets to update you on new posts.)

One other thing i just noticed, the Skyscrapper may not be a good title for 7 Strength given number you listed, since that would be more 250,000 Tons for an Average 50 story building.

Im still debating exactly what I want to do as a character, I mean i may even simply dump it all into stats and have additional powers come out during RP with gained points.

Last edited:
So, I'm guessing it's a four-cost to do those powers in total, right?

Name: Currently in question
Alias: Currently in question

Stamina: 2
Smarts: 7
Speed: 2

Powers:
Create (2) - Currently pending description.
Destroy (2)- Currently pending description.

So, basically max out my Smarts stat, using up eleven points.
Use the remaining four to do the powers, unless the creation power requires four points?

PlusUltra PlusUltra
Yes, multiple factors can apply at once and stack. Rule of thumb is 2+2=3, 5+5=6. 5+4 does not equal 6, but 5+(4+4)=6
In your example I would say Strength 5 + Growth 4 would give you advantage against Strength/Stamina 5, Strength 5 + Growth 5 would be equivalent to Strength 6.
I know this is not perfect, but will function in most instances. Remember these numbers are relative and meant as narrative devices not game mechanics. Technically it should take 10 Strength5 characters to equal a Strength6. The categories are meant as examples, not hard and fast rules that must be adhered to exactly.

Growth 4 would increase size and stack with Strength.

Aphro's Speed 4 + Quick Reflex 3 would give him advantage against another Speed 4. Skill 6 + Quick Reflex 3 would have advantage against Skill 6. Speed 4 + Skill 6 would have advantage against Speed 3 + Skill 6.

When you consider Strength 4 + Speed 4 + Skill 6 + Quick Reflex 3 AphroBoy's character would be an extreme dangerous hand-to-hand combatant in most situations. He may have trouble damaging Stamina 5 and above with his hands alone, but may also be able to easily dodge the larger/tougher opponent. A fight can very easily be a stalemate if two characters various abilities counter each other appropriately.

To expand on the power stunt question, how about simply stunts from having high strength? ie Thunderclaps, Ground Pound Shockwaves, Power Jumps etc?.
Thunderclaps/shockwaves would be expressions of your Strength as a narrative device and effect an amount of material roughly equivalent to the Weight. Jump would be Strength based and assume you can jump roughly the length/height of the object listed.
I will create an OOC thread and attach it to the main thread. Players can also DM questions and comments. I also receive email notifications on my phone when post are made, so I am usually aware something has been posted even when away from my computer.

Thank you for all your questions and general interest that you have shown. I have changed Strength 7 to Eiffel Tower. And am removing the Max so that weights given are rough averages.

darkborn darkborn
Create 2 would allow for basic shapes to be constructed out of simple materials on a small scale.
Destroy 2 would be able to cause minor damage over a small area against low durability materials. Damage would be comparable to a Strength 2 attack and damage objects of Stamina 2 durability.
The more points you invest the stronger the power. 2 is the minimum and makes for a low effect Power. I'll give some examples to give an idea of higher level effectiveness.
Edward Elric would be Create 4 normally, and Create 5 during finale when amplifying his alchemy.
Overhaul has roughly Destroy 5. (I have only seen Season 1&2, so I do not know the full extent of his Quirk.)

Last edited:
Ok I'll redo my points when I get home.

Overhaul has been seen to do a 20ft wide by maybe 100ft long corridor floor before into giant spikes if I recall.

Stats: Strength 7 / Stamina 5 / Smarts 2 / Speed 2 / Skill 2
Points spent:
14 (1Floating)

I didn't see anything regarding number of characters per player, so I'll throw this up here. If I'm only allowed one, that's fine.

Name: Sam Gannen
Alias: Blackout

Strength: 3
Stamina: 3
Smarts: 4
Speed: 3
Skill: 6

Powers:
Dark orbs (4) - Sam is able to create orbs of some sort of extra-dimensional energy in the palms of his hands. Once this orb touches solid matter, the energy expands to several times their original size. However, this expansion has no physical properties, meaning it doesn't cause any damage; in fact, it travels through most matter. In this way, Sam can still create darkness around people who are, for example, hiding behind a wall as the energy would extend through the wall. Once the new sphere is set, all light is devoured by the energy, essentially causing the inside of the sphere to be completely dark. It should also be noted that the energy anchors itself to whatever solid matter originally caused its expansion. This allows Sam to adhere his spheres to himself, opponents, or even moving vehicles.

Let's start with only one per player at the outset, with potential to expand in the future. I will also eventually allow each player to design a Villian.

I have added PlusUltra, Phineas Forge, Aphroboy and darkborn's characters to the bottom of the initial post, holding your spots in the RP.

Name: Carmine Vandross
Alias: Bishop
Strength: 3 (1)
Stamina: 3 (1)
Smarts: 3 (1)
Speed: 3 (1)
Skill: 7 (11)

I decided to make John Wick

NewAgeBlack NewAgeBlack
Looks good. I will add you to the group.

We now have 5 players, so I am closing recruitment. Everyone who is locked in will be boxed at the bottom of my initial post. I will DM everyone when the OOC is opened, and provided the full character sheet for fill out. You can still change your character during this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back