[Closed] SEEKING ONE PLAYER [5e] Storm King's Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baba Luga

Vestige
I am looking for one player to fill an absence in the ongoing Storm King's Thunder game. Please read the following and take a look at some of the forum posts thus far to see if you are interested. I'll leave this open for at least a few days. Preference given to people currently in fewer games.

Storm King’s Thunder
Game:
D&D 5e, Forgotten Realms setting
Starting Level: 1
Player Count: 1 (for total party size of 4)
DM Time Zone:
PST

Description: Giants. Among the most ancient of peoples, attuned to the base elements of creation. Millenia ago, long before elves, dwarves or humans existed, giants walked the earth and fought great wars against the primordial dragons. Their great civilization, Ostoria, rose and fell to form the bedrock beneath the empires of the smaller folk to come.

After the fall of great Ostoria, giants mostly retreated from history, carving out their niches at the edges of world, watching as new, less amply-proportioned peoples rose to take their place. There were raids, forays, the occasional giant champion or monarch to wage war against the younger races, each quickly driven back by the masses of humans and their ilk. At last, the only remaining kings and queens of giantkind ruled from the most remote locations, where the small and feeble dared not tread: the highest mountains, polluted mires, deep caverns, the bottom of the sea.

But now there are whispers and sightings, oracles even. Soon, giants will rise again, to reclaim their lost empire.

Registering: Please read the following notes on expectations, character creation, and rules. Also look at some of the existing forum activity for this game to get an idea of the tone and style. If you are still interested, please leave a message below. I would prefer that you not start talking about the character class you’d like to play at this time (see notes on character creation).

Pace of Play
I would like everyone to commit to at least check in on the discord most days, with a move made or OOC planning and discussion happening every one or two days. Occasional multiple-day absences are understandable, but notice is appreciated. In the interest of maintaining momentum, if a player goes silent without explanation for over a week, or is regularly absent for multiple days, they may be replaced or have their character parked at a convenient inn.

Character Creation
Faction

Before creating a character, the new players will choose a faction to belong to. I will provide a list of factions that will include Forgotten Realms standbys like the Harpers, and Zhentarim, as well as more esoteric groups. The chosen faction will determine available character races and initial objectives. There will also be some perks associated with each faction. Here are the factions that were used at the start of the campaign.

The Characters
Characters will be created in the discord channel once a faction is selected. The process will be as follows:
  1. Race (options based on faction choice)
  2. Background
  3. Ability Scores: For each ability, in order (S-D-C-I-W-Ch), roll 4d6 and discard the lowest. Order may not be changed. Generate two sets of scores this way and choose one, then apply racial modifiers.
  4. Choose Class. All official classes are allowed, but your ability scores will not necessarily be optimized for a given class.
  5. Starting Equipment: You may take the default equipment OR roll for money and make your own purchases. Faction might limited or expand starting equipment.
Variant and House Rules, etc.
  • Variant Encumbrance: carrying more than 5 times your strength will slow you down
  • No feats (and therefore no Variant Humans)
  • Homebrew overland travel: On trips longer than one day, players will plan a route, prepare supplies, assign tasks (scout, navigator, etc.), and then use ability checks to determine what resources (food, HP, exhaustion, spell slots, etc.) are expended upon arrival at the next destination or waypoint.
  • Modified side initiative: Individual Initiative rolls will determine which players go before and after the monsters, but players may otherwise take their turns in any order
  • Restricted Long Rest: Without the aid of magic or divine intervention, long rests may only be taken at Safe Havens—most often settlements, but sometimes special holy or consecrated sites. Short rests will be far easier to come by.
  • Item identification: Attuning to an item that requires attunement will reveal its properties. Other magic items must be identified magically, or through experimentation/investigation. Potions will hopefully be labeled, but can likewise be investigated with an alchemist’s kit or ones senses.
  • Milestone leveling
  • Character death is possible
  • I put a lot of emphasis on proficiencies, backgrounds and relevant knowledge from your backstory. I will often forgo rolls for knowledge skills, relying on passive checks, proficiencies and background features instead.

I would like to play. The character creation rule seems interesting. Definitely spark creativity and prevent minmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread