• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

CLOSED: Escape From the Abyss: a 5e Underdark PBP Campaign

Noam

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captured by the drow! You wouldn't wish this fate on anyone, yet here you are--locked in a dark cave, the cold heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone. Other prisoners are trapped in here with you, in an underground outpost far from the light of the sun. You are held here at one of the drow's outposts, awaiting transportation to Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders and capital of the drow empire. Whether you came into the Underdark seeking knowledge or fortune, or were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, you have only one goal now--escape.

-*-*-

Hi! Welcome to Escape from the Abyss, a DnD 5e module focused on survival, exploration and a fair amount of combat. At the start of the campaign, your characters have been captured by the drow and imprisoned. You must escape and find your way back home while avoiding the many other dangers of the Underdark.

This will be a play-by-post campaign, with posts from the DM at least every 24 hours to move the plot along. That doesn't mean you'll be left behind if you can't post that frequently, but it does mean that posting every couple of days is ideal.

About the Adventure:

*Escape From the Abyss starts at Level 1 and ends at Level 15.

*The Underdark is home to many strange creatures, but monsters aren't the only thing that can kill you. This is a barren and tangled landscape, and many adventurers have starved to death trying to navigate its halls. We will be using survival checks to have characters forage for food and navigate the Underdark; keep that in mind when building your character!

*By its very nature, this campaign deals with dark themes, including slavery and graphic violence. However, it is not a shock-jock free for all. Before the campaign begins, we'll discuss themes and imagery that players don't want to see or hear, and I'll adjust the campaign accordingly. The goal is to have spooky fun like on Halloween, not give someone an anxiety attack.

About the Players (That's you!) and Characters

Party (3/6):

1. Beorin Hammerhaft, mountain dwarf fighter
2. Sasha Almar, human rogue
3. Darko, kobold ranger
4. __
5. __
6. ___

*Due to the dark themes present in Out of the Abyss, all players and their characters must be at least 18 years old. No exceptions. Characters with extremely long life-spans like elves, gnomes etc. must be adults by their society's standards.

*Newbie players are welcome! I love answering questions, talking people through their options, and introducing them to the thoroughly weird game that is Dungeons and Dragons. No question too big, too small, or too stupid; I have literally run a game for six-year-olds before.

*When making your character, please start at Level 1. Acceptable sourcebooks include the Player's Handbook, Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, and Mordenkainen’s Tomb of Foes.
You can also use the rules from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything to customize your character. Unearthed Arcana material will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis (though if you;re asking about the UA Ranger, just assume I already said yes). Not sure what any of that means? Just ask!

*Elaborate backstories will always be honored but are not required! Four sentences or two pages; if it gets the essential information across, I'm down.

About the DM:

*Noam, 26 years old, non-binary. I've been playing DnD for about 4 years and have previously run one very fun sandbox campaign. I like survival checks, role-play opportunities, and monsters who know what they're doing.

Last edited:
How are you going to have attributes determined?

I might be able to be persuaded to write up a character for this. I personally use the character builder on the DnDBeyond website.

The DnD beyond character builder is fine with me. If you find you want to join, link me to your character sheet and I'll add you to the roster.

Ah, my good friend Zudya. DnD is such a small town. Yes, I'm down for an artificer!
Lol I could always bring Zudya in, but she is more homebrew territory than anything official.

I'm not totally sold on an artifice yet! Haven't fully explored the class. But figured i might see the potential of trying something new. So might try for that or a wizard.

Actually I got just the thing. A kobold drakewarden Ranger. Charged with raising a young deep dragon.

I'm always a sucker for rangers and kobolds. Sounds dope to me.
Cool beans. Here is the link then. Darko the Ranger

I guess we just need to discuss the idea of him being a drakewarden and his dragon pet. (Which he doesn't become until he gets the archetype). Among other things, like his clan and general underdark stuff.

Found a cool pic for my Dwarf.

View attachment 931413
I remember Beorin!

Last edited:
Cool beans. Here is the link then. Darko the Ranger

I guess we just need to discuss the idea of him being a drakewarden and his dragon pet. (Which he doesn't become until he gets the archetype). Among other things, like his clan and general underdark stuff.
I'm reading over the drakewarden UA now; I'll PM you about it.

We have 3 party members and a 4th pending! Does anyone have any preference between an OOC thread here or a Discord chat?

I prefer to keep everything here on RpN, but that is just my vote.

Lets see party needs a caster and a healer. Depending on what the next person picks I might go Satyr bard or cleric. For unknown reasons I like the idea of a fey in the underdark.

Yeah, lets make a thread here for it. That way we don't have to leave here to go hunting for it.

I was about to ask who our forth person is, but I see Ilikepie is coming in!

Cool. We are going to be making good use of any healing you can give out.

Ilikepie Ilikepie would actually be #5! Sweet! But mind the source materials being used for character creation. :) Sure as fuck do need a healer, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back