• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [CLOSED] DMed Group RP (but you don't know who the other players are for extra immersion and fun)

SliceThePi

caked in resin and vile to behold
Howdy! Have you ever had one of those "drop everything, this is happening RIGHT NOW" ideas? Because that's what this post was for me. Normally, I'd take a bit more time writing the intro but I am SO EXCITED and I want to get this going as soon as possible.

Player posts should be around a paragraph long if they're action or dialogue heavy. For what I mean by a paragraph, check the lengths of the paragraphs in this post.

Characters can be based on traditional D&D class archetypes, but you don't have to do this and shouldn't feel compelled to because that's limiting (ewww, spell slots). It will be a D&D-type fantasy setting, though, so you can't have any tech more advanced than steampunk.

BTW, don't reply to this post if you're planning on joining in! If you do, people will be able to figure out that you're one of the player characters! DM me that you're interested on RpN. Details on what to send are at the end of this post.

Have you ever done a group text RP that seemed wonky with turn-taking? Have you ever gotten super-invested in an RP but then one person decided to drop off the face of the site and kill the group? Have you ever gotten frustrated because your sorcerer and rogue are metagaming and wished that they couldn't communicate out-of-character? Have you ever wanted to do a 1x1 RP that had all of the charm of a mismatched adventuring party without feeling like your partner was maybe just maybe railroading the plot a bit since they controlled like four-fifths of the characters? Have you ever felt that your wizard, in-character, realistically wouldn't exactly want to hang out with the rest of the party after the fighter kicked her familiar again, killing it for the second time, but didn't want to have her leave the party because that would mean you wouldn't get to participate any more?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, this group is for you! I, as the DM, will be acting as an intermediary and storyteller between the players. If someone stops participating in the RP for too long, I'll take over their character and it will be as if they never left (if you're going to be busy, you can always let me know ahead of time and I can do my best to act in-character for you, asking you quick, easy-to-answer questions if I need clarification, and you can take back over whenever you're back! I'll keep a log of events that happen while you're gone so that you can easily catch up). If your character doesn't meet/like other players, you'll still be participating, but you won't know that it isn't other real people! If you join part-way through, your character will, from everyone else's perspective, show up as part of the plot. (Hmm, is that bard dude an NPC or a new player?) I may even have some of my personal friends join behind the scenes and act as villains! OooOOoo...

Conflicts between character actions (i.e. combat) will be resolved with a GM dice roll, potentially favoring the character who would be likely to have the upper hand. Be warned: death is not inevitable when fighting, but if necessary I will intervene to limit excessive player-on-player murderhobo-ing, because that's not fun. If you're being way too over-the-top with hostility and violence, I probably won't allow it.

Again, if you want to join us, don't reply to this post! The idea is that you won't have any way of knowing who else is participating. DM me on RpN and send me a character description with your appearance, a brief bit of backstory, a list of abilities and such. You don't have to send a full-on properly-statted character sheet (please don't), but I do want to have an idea of the power level and capabilities of your character- what they're good at, what they're bad at, etc. Please be open to working with me to nerf or buff your character a bit so that you're balanced with the rest of the group. Also, if you attempt to do something unusual power-wise that your sheet doesn't specifically say that you can do, it'll be up to DM discretion (probably a no-go). We may occasionally have level-up opportunities.

Once more, if you have any questions or comments (including "oo cool idea," since I already know ;) ), don't reply to this post! DM me. I'll be occasionally bumping the thread until I feel like we have enough players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back