• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

[Closed] Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
518DX_Articles_Header-Image_DIA.jpg
Beginning to the adventure:
Welcome to Baldur's Gate, a veritable nest of rats and vipers clinging to the rocky slopes overlooking the Chionthar River. From their high perches in the Upper City, the local nobles—known as patriars—gaze down with veiled contempt upon the common rabble in the grimy Lower City, which hugs the foggy harbor. The whole of Baidur's Gate reeks of blood. crime, and opportunity. One can easily fathom why pirates and traders are drawn to this place like flies to a carcass.

Following the river farther east would eventually lead you to Elturel, capital of the holy land of Elturgard—or at least that was the case until a few days ago. The flood of refugees from Elturel has gotten worse since news first arrived that the city has fallen. Everyone is saying Baldur's Gate is next, but no one truly knows who or what has claimed Elturel.

The patriars pay a mercenary army called the Flaming Fist to protect their interests in Baldur's Gate, and by extension, the city itself. The Flaming Fist has gained even more power since their charismatic leader, Ulder Ravengard, claimed the title of Grand Duke a few years ago. Apparently, Ravengard is missing. In his absence, the Flaming Fist has sealed the city's gates to staunch the flow of refugees. No one is allowed in or out.

All of this was brought to your attention shortly after you were drafted by the Flaming Fist to help defend the city. Your orders are to speak to Captain Zodge at the Basilisk Gate, which pierces the city's eastern wall and takes its name from the various statues that rest in its niches and perch atop its battlements. Unseen beyond the sealed Basilisk Gate, a dirt road stretches through the Outer City slums to the bridge known as Wyrm's Cross- ing, then to distant realms beyond.

Dozens of Flaming Fist soldiers are trying to control an angry mob of commoners eager to leave the city. Armed with only a vague description of Captain Zodge—a tall man with long black hair and a leather eye patch—it takes you a while to find him. A fight breaks out between soldiers and commoners, and you finally spot the one- eyed captain as he wades into the fray and begins throw- ing punches. Just another day in the City of Blood.

Game information:
I'm looking to create a character focussed 5e game using the Baldur's Gate - Descent into Avernus adventure as a foundation. I'd like to play with a module to the end and see where the campaign goes after that. Despite that, I'm interested in making our campaign very character-driven. The focus will be you and what you do.

Other expectations:
  1. Post length: I'm not looking for long posts. Just no single sentence posts. A paragraph at least per post is a good rule of thumb.
  2. Allies: Your characters begin the game as allies, but that can change through play. They don't have to be friends, but they are working toward a common goal or interest.
  3. Play to find out: Be willing to detail your character, but leave open spots for us to explore in their backstories and experiences. I like when we find things out during play together.
  4. Bend the rules: The rules will be a slave to the narrative and RP, not the other way around. I reserve the right to change or throw out rules as needed during the course of any situation to support fun or enjoyable RP.
  5. Starting characters: We'll start at 2nd level. Please use the standard array or standard point buy to generate stats. Officially published content only.

Player slots:
  1. alabast alabast
  2. vleet vleet
  3. DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird
  4. Ilikepie Ilikepie
  5. ValkyrieRose ValkyrieRose
  6. Oakleaf Oakleaf

Last edited:
Hi, can I ask where the game will be hosted?

So far we have 5. I’ll give it today to see if someone wants the last slot. Then we’ll get this party started!

Excited.

Okay, all threads are up. Details on character creation are in the "characters" thread. If you have any questions, let me know.

Looking forward to the game!

Main thread:

OOC thread:

Characters thread:

alabast alabast , vleet vleet , DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird , Ilikepie Ilikepie , ValkyrieRose ValkyrieRose , Oakleaf Oakleaf

I would like to join if a spot opens up. I have some experience and really like creating characters and character development.

I would like to join if a spot opens up. I have some experience and really like creating characters and character development.
Understood. We’ll keep you on the waitlist if a spot opens up. Appreciate the interest.

Last edited:
I'd love to join, but I'm a complete beginner at DnD. I've been starting to read up on the rules, but so far, I've never actually played. I have the basic rules pdf and I've recently stumbled across the wikidot, but with stores closed around me, I probably won't get my hands on the player's handbook within the next weeks or months (depending on how the pandemic goes, I suppose). If that's not too much of an issue, then count me in!

I'd love to join, but I'm a complete beginner at DnD. I've been starting to read up on the rules, but so far, I've never actually played. I have the basic rules pdf and I've recently stumbled across the wikidot, but with stores closed around me, I probably won't get my hands on the player's handbook within the next weeks or months (depending on how the pandemic goes, I suppose). If that's not too much of an issue, then count me in!
I don’t mind working with you at all. It will take work, but we can do it. Also, consider the digital Player’s Handbook. It’s cheaper too. You can buy just book at the bottom of this page at $20:

I don’t mind working with you at all. It will take work, but we can do it. Also, consider the digital Player’s Handbook. It’s cheaper too. You can buy just book at the bottom of this page at $20:

That's true, I totally forgot about that option, thanks! Should I just head over to the OOC for now?
Also, seeing that there are already a few magic users in the characters thread, I should probably go for a physical-oriented class, right? So fighter might be good?

That's true, I totally forgot about that option, thanks! Should I just head over to the OOC for now?
Also, seeing that there are already a few magic users in the characters thread, I should probably go for a physical-oriented class, right? So fighter might be good?
Yes, that would probably be good. Though, really, play what you want. We can make it work.

I’ll drop an introduction for you into the OOC thread.

Welcome aboard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back