Not open for further replies.

Podrus

Title: The World Of Resh
Game: Dungeons & Dragons, 5e
Player Count:
4-6
Description:

Welcome to Resh,

This is a world unlike any other, Resh is a branch on the Universal Tree, originally planted by Baich all those years ago. Now those seeds have sprouted and worlds upon worlds have formed on its branches, Resh being one of the hundreds that remain thriving while others have rotted off the trunk, fallen into chaos. You brave souls are now prepared to start your own journey, forge your own path, and find your place in history!

As people who belong to no named nation, rather a Skirter (those from the Outskirts), you have the world at the tip of your fingers, you just have to find out how to seize it. Will you join a guild of adventurers? Sign up as a mercenary? Or will you create your own nation from the start? These are the questions that have fueled every great Skirter since the beginning of time, and it's up to you to make your choice.

Character Creation: WotC published materials only, no Yuan-Ti. Level 1 Characters. For stats, roll two sets of stats (like we do here in Mists), pick one and that's the one you roll with. If your total score comes out 60 > then you can roll a new set for free.

When doing backstories, go ahead and come up with a town in the Skirts that you'd be from, as well as a backstory.

House Rules/Game Style: I like to create an epic story with my players, a true Heroes Journey type of situation. I'm also pretty active so I'm here to answer a lot of questions, especially knowing that this is a home-brew world that I've created. I would love an active game to write along with!

Other: There are a few things that I will handle differently. These are linked below.

New Mechanics (subject to change)

World Information

Also attached is a very crude map of the world I've made.

Attachments

• CrappyResh.png
    CrappyResh.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'd like to play in this please.

Given how wide open the premise is, I propose that, rather than everyone making possibly mismatched characters in isolation (a paladin and an assassin walk into a bar...), the players collaboratively decide on a PC organization and agenda and then make characters who would logically work together to acheive the organization's ends. That could let us get a strong, focused start instead of wandering around reading quest boards and waiting for the DM to hit us with a cluebat.

What do you think Podrus?

For sure! I left it wide open kind of on purpose so that you all could work together anyways! I like the sound of that! Just be warned, if you are starting your own organization, it will be a tough go, you can do it but it'll be harder than joining an established guild.

I'm also currently writing rules up over the next day or so about how Guilds work for the live game I'm running in this world as well so you guys will get that.

By organization I didn't even mean it had to be a guild per se. Could be a family of homesteaders, a small merchant caravan, some religious zealots looking to establish a temple, etc, etc

Fantastic! I just wanted to be clear there. I should probably edit that Resh is very guild centric in some parts, the Outskirts and Otrun above all.

Fantastic! I just wanted to be clear there. I should probably edit that Resh is very guild centric in some parts, the Outskirts and Otrun above all.

Noted. It sounds like even if our little band is "doing our own thing" we would be wise to be dues-paying members of one of the local guilds until we get off the ground. Don't want to start stepping on toes until we've got some bigger shoes.

If we are working together on creating some form of collaborative backstory, I am making a shadow sorcerer, not sure what race but theyre going to be dedicated to finding old forgotten knowledge

Podrus, I'm not understanding the following bit of background text:

The nation that everyone will start in is called Otrun, it is surrounded on all 4 sides by the Outskirts and has been home of many battles that they weren't involved in.

First clarification: We are all from one or more towns in the Outskirts, but currently residing in Otrun?

Second clarification: Otrun has been home to battles that didn't involve the Outskirts, or Otrun has been home to many battles but somehow remained a neutral party?

Thanks

Based on notes from corielldog and Holice, here's one scenario I can imagine, if, Podrus, you feel it makes sense for the setting:

We're a group of scholars and associates from an Outskirts town that is a center of learning and study--minor in the grand scheme of things, but a big deal in the 'skirts. We've come to Otrun to follow up on legends of lost ruins in the Outskirts that might contain ancient records and artifacts. Our plan is to access the Otrun capital's superior research libraries, discern the location of one of these buried ruins, then assemble an expedition to return to the Outskirts and dig our way to the underground structures. Depending on our alignment and objectives, we'll either sell/donate what we find to universities or collectors or keep the knowledge and treasure for ourselves.

I can see places in this group for PCs who are scholars--maybe one specializing in lore and mythology and history, the other a more practical archaeologist; an engineer to oversee the dig and make sure we don't collapse buildings on ourselves; scouts and guards to protect the expedition; someone to organize supplies and deal with guilds or caravans whose good sides we want to stay on.

Any other ideas?

Another question Podrus: Are the caravans and guilds that patrol the Outskirts based out of Otrun, or are they independent entities native to the 'skirts?

Podrus, I'm not understanding the following bit of background text:

First clarification: We are all from one or more towns in the Outskirts, but currently residing in Otrun?

Second clarification: Otrun has been home to battles that didn't involve the Outskirts, or Otrun has been home to many battles but somehow remained a neutral party?

Thanks

My bad, I copy pasted from another group I have running in this world. They're all starting in Otrun.

2nd: Otrun has been home to many battles, they have very good farm land and the nation of Aissur has like none, so they've attacked, Acirema has helped defend them, Acirema has attacked and Skirters have helped out, Skirters have attacked and Otrun was able to fend them off or got help. Otrun is basically that kid in class who get's bullied by their older siblings, but when shit goes to far one of the siblings steps in.

It's a complicated dynamic.

Another question Podrus: Are the caravans and guilds that patrol the Outskirts based out of Otrun, or are they independent entities native to the 'skirts?

It's a bit of a toss up, the closer you get to Otrun the more Otrun run guilds that will be patrolling the area. The further you get away, the more native Skirters.

As for your thoughts, that works for me for a reason to adventure together, I'm down to let this campaign go pretty far though, like I said there's a whole other party running this and things that they do will affect you (and vice versa if we're fast enough here) so that may not come together completely. But that's a good start! ( i do have an over arching plot that I'll be weaving through the story as well)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread