[closed][5e] Redeeming Treachery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiddly

People keep telling me I'm an adult??
Title: Redeeming Treachery
Game: D&D 5e, done through Discord
Player Count: 4-5 (or if i cave because i can't say no, 6)
Description:
Ashani, the king's adviser, has sought your help. She has gathered a group of heroes that she believes can help her in the endeavor to right a great wrong done to the crown. Illus, the king's archmage, has been falsely accused of treachery and dragged away. It is up to you, she says, to save his life before it is too late. If he is permitted to die for this, the kingdom will face great danger; after all, without the power of Illus, who will help to defend the throne? It is his skill and power that has kept the king protected all these years. Without him at king Naveed's side, there is an opening for all manner of threats and enemies to rise up. She has the evidence necessary to pardon him, but it's up to you to find and save him before the evidence is useless facts about a dead man.​
As stated above, though in less narrative form, the party is called and tasked with the likely difficult chance of rescuing the king's archmage, Illus. If all goes according to plan, this will not be a short game and should (hopefully??) keep everyone engaged long enough that it doesn't feel stale. I've quite a few levels planned to this and hop to have it advance not only the campaign story, but the character's stories as well. After all, what's the point of playing, if you're not going to find out more about your character along the way! (or experience great trauma and maybe die)

Character Creation:
- Character creation is pretty straight forward; if it's published, go crazy. Pretty much anything is allowed so if you wanna go with UA stuff? Go with it. Wanna homebrew some things? Cool, hit me up, let's make something you like. I'm pretty flexible and open and since a lot of this will kind of mold and build with the characters, I'm not too worried about someone ending up not fitting with the world. (We can make just about anything fit.)​
- We'll start at level 1, but assume that you have accomplished something in the recent past that has put you on the radar of a king's adviser that makes you a worthwhile call when they need help. When you're planning out your character, keep that 'thing' in mind, because I'd like to know what it is. The more interesting backstory we can incorporate into the world (and maybe into the character's lives at the worst right time is great!)​
- Basically, it's pretty chill and open and I'm excited to just do things. Maybe throw up a short blurb or idea that you're considering--class / mood / etc? Whatever works.​
- fyi: game may end up having some heavy themes in pretty much any direction so if there's anything you're uncomfortable with, maybe let me know first, because I can let you know if they're gonna come up. c:​

House Rules/Game Style:
> I'm chill AF. I do work a pretty typical work day (7-3) and only occasionally pop in during those times because most of my attention is taken up with my work. I'm also in GMT-6 (Chicagoland) and I go to sleep at a normal human hour of 10pm, so keep that in mind too when it comes to messaging.​
> I've got very little to add here but I like to write a lot so sometimes you may get long messages of random things just love me okay.​

Other: 🤘

Last edited:
Sign me up! Thinking about a Giant Soul Sorcerer (cloud giant variant most likely).

Last edited:
seriously interested. not sure of char hook yet but will update when i get it. I have 2 ideas, the first is a wizard, apprentice to the Archmage who is eager to prove his master innocent. will go more into details if selected. The second was a thief, but from the king's spymaster tasked with helping clear the archmage.

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting! I have a few character concepts and plot hooks that I've been interested in writing out, though a number of them rely on homebrew to work, so I'll just pop them here and you can feel free to discard them if you don't like the mechanics or don't feel they'd fit.

The first potential character I thought of is a Pugilist (monk/barbarian middle ground). I actually have two separate character ideas here: the first is a Goliath who fights for sport, adopting a ludicrously villainous persona during fights while actually being rather relaxed and kind of slow-witted when not "in-character". The other is a fairly notorious human debt collector who might come to Ashani's attention after she unexpectedly helps a city guard fend off a pair of thugs, subsequently falling unconscious and being arrested for her past crimes.

The other weird Homebrew class I've fancied trying is a Princess (Bardic Inspiration: The Class). Obviously that would have huge implications for the kind of story being told here, but if nothing else gives us an easy way for Ashani to know about them! The basic idea is that the character takes on the mission for the sake of her father's safety, or perhaps the kingdom's if backstory dictates she comes from another nation.

In terms of character ideas that are a little more official, I've been looking to try a Revised Ranger for the longest time, and also Matt Mercer's Gunslinger fighter archetype if that's your thing -- though I'm also kind of tempted to bring back my Swashbuckler rogue from a defunct campaign. All of these have potential hooks into the plot as well, but I think I've gone on for long enough already, so I'll leave off here. Of course, if none of these work, I'm always happy to roll up something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread