[Closed][5e] Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title: Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Game: DND 5e Greyhawk

Player count: 4

Description:
Saltmarsh is a nondescript fishing village tucked away on the southern coast of the Kingdom of Keoland. For several generations, Keoland was a formidable military power. Its superior cavalry and bold knights pushed the kingdom's borders outward to the north, west, and east. Each successful campaign increased both the crown's wealth and power, and each one in turn drew the kingdom's attention even farther north. The southern coastal regions of Keoland remained a backwater.

The crown's benign neglect allowed piracy and banditry to flourish. Saltmarsh and similar towns kept to fishing, content to maintain a low profile and avoid governmental entanglements. Decades ago, the pirates who prowled the waters off Saltmarsh grew strong enough to create their own realm, a loose confederacy known as the Hold of the Sea Princes. With the rise of that nation came increased raids on Saltmarsh and its neighbors. The Sea Princes' raiding ships pillaged the coast for more slaves to support their growing realm, and Saltmarsh suffered heavily. The memories of those times loom heavily over the area, and the locals' hatred of the Sea Princes runs deep.

Saltmarsh, remote though it might be from the center of power in Keoland, is entering a new phase of its life as it reacts to the king's plans. The crown's agents want to expand the village's port and make it a prime location for trade with the world beyond. In another recent development, a band of dwarves—bearing a decree from the king himself—have arrived and begun to excavate the hills and seaside cliffs near town, looking for precious metals. If their work bears fruit as expected, the mine stands to become a major factor in the village's—and, indeed, the entire region's—prosperity.

Naturally, not all of Saltmarsh's residents feel the same way about the recent developments in and around their community, which is the key issue that affects their lives and livelihood. Although the recent changes stand to bring new prosperity to the area, many locals don't want to see their home changed. At the same time, as an undercurrent through all the goings-on, agents of the secretive and mysterious Scarlet Brotherhood work to thwart Keoland's ambitions while advancing their own.

Your party will be thrown into the middle of this and quite possibly shape the town's future.

Daily posts from me, RP is going to be a thing, and I expect my players to put up reasonable length posts. (No one sentence posts here)

Combat will be theatre of the mind.

Character Creation
Level 1
Rolled: 4d6 drop the lowest
All official published classes, backgrounds, races (monsterous classes are NOT a good idea)

Backstories are mandatory but don't need to be a novella.
Characters can be native to Saltmarsh and I'll work with you on backstory.

House rules
Large mobs will use an averaging system for damage according to the DMG.
If your party owns a ship, it is up to you to track resources. I'll do what I can but a designated quartermaster is a good idea.

Other
I try to get a mix of new and veteran players, so please post your character ideas the post will most likely be up for a couple days before closing.

Last edited:
Already mentioned I'd throw my hat in, I like being native to places. Not got any specific ideas in mind, class, background or even race. I'd like to try rogue but that usually means the campaign dies off or I do : P

Windmill slam YES! I would happily play basically anything. (Maybe not a monk, wizard, or paladin) I have yet to play a dwarf, so maybe a dwarven cleric or something?

Always happy to put my hat in to be involved with anything with you Wooks. You know me I'm always down for a wisdom caster but I haven't played a wizard or a straight non monk martial class yet so I'd love to try either of those.

Interested. Thinking Dwarf rogue or cleric. Definitely like the daily update cycle.

Last edited:
I would love to play! And since it’s mandatory I will def do paragraphs. Thinking Halfling sorcerer or warlock. Although I’ll play anything. Since I haven’t played those in a while. I have some ideas for backstory but would rather keep them quiet. To explore ic.

Last edited:
I have a sorcerer idea that I would love to try, for further details I can message you if needed. I am active every day for a large portion of my waking hours, and I like to write RP posts.

I'd personally want to play a charisma-based character and take a more active stance on RP, currently thinking a bard or a swashbuckler.

I got a summer to spend and very little to do and would love to be a part of this little towns future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread