Other "Cliquey" RP Groups

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Have you ever joined a group where they showed blatant favoritism and clique behavior? Everyone else was well aware but the admins chose to deny it and act like it wasn't happening? Don't you just hate that. I for one have joined a group like this. And to be fair, it did make me and a few others feel rather isolated and left out. It was often a struggle for some us to get replies to our responses and everything just felt a bit fake. And even though they kept saying they were fair and all, it didn't seem that way which for me was disheartening. As I feel like RP groups should be an environment where anyone can participate and have fun rather than just a select few. Cause then it just isn't fun for everyone. This group the way it felt was a lot like the admin and their friends rather than an actual group. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced these kinds of groups, but if you have why not share the story? Cause I would love to here about it

Oh yes. I actually had the GM ask me to alter my character because “certain people” didn’t like it. Like they had already accepted the character but because their favorites didn’t like it I had to scrap it and start over.

Another time some person didn’t like me and told me I couldn’t join the roleplay. When I asked to speak to the GM I kicked off a hornets nest with all these people getting on me for arguing with the “co-GM” baring in mind the rules didn’t state that such a role existed. As far as I (a total newcomer) was concerned it was just some random player telling me I couldn’t join not anyone of authority.

That is pretty much all I have run into on this site. But in all fairness it is an age barrier. I am older than most of the members on this site.

I fortunately haven't found stuff like that, but I kind of stray away from groups RPs usually. I guess my advice is: leave, or you can create a new RP with the ones that feel left out.

Does it still count if the community itself does the OG-specific favoritism, and they rage and start hell if a mod tries doing something actually logical?

Because I've experienced that a number of times but I'll give off some notable thrice ones.
First time was for a deleted RP, where it got smothered by German wannabes, godzilla, a horrible support badmin, and anything political for a faction not leaning towards armed neutrality or surrender was met with nuke threats.
The second time was a chatroom for planning out the start of the RP, and it got killed in a few days because the players wanted a select few of their clan to be some kind of focus.
The third time I ended up watching a community form and grow over the years, and they never listened to the more experienced one. So every time they had a favorite system such as "OnLY OgS caN do/SAY tHAt!", or a RP-suicidal plan, it'd be "allowed" to prove a point. AKA their ideas don't work and will collapse upon itself, and ironically enough that was the only way to get them to learn and adapt to an actually functional system. The other way was to allow them to think OOC they're indestructible, then smite them in a type of war, regardless of if it was propaganda, winning political debates, sports, physical, or having one party mock the other one. That was even better, because they'd wise up and not repeat the mistake again unless it was solely in an IC mindset.

I haven't joined one where the community is the voice of reason or the side guys, and then the mods were picking favourites and sucking at their job for it. However, I have heard of them, as well as had friends [or for the meme "spies"] send me pics of RP OOCs and planning rooms for entertainment. Apparently if you do find one, or stumble into a server at random, or the mods/players reuse a chat or PM without knowing you're still in there yourself, their odd "superiority of group here" drive kicks up x11. It's absolutely hysterical, but if you aren't in a good position yourself or in with a favoured, it quickly becomes a out of control nightmare.

Akin to a sentient bathroom door off it's hinges, and starts flying around the room during a family reunion, chanting in a dead language. Then one of the family members starts throwing boiling water, holding a cross, and screaming at it. Then a bar fight begins soon after. Alternatively, it is akin to being France and having to defend against the Germans. Then your remnants get navally yeeted by the British.

Overall feels bad, man.

When I was first getting into RP, I was on a very different and small site compared to this one. There were very clearly defined friend groups, an "everyone knows everyone" type of situation. Didn't help that I found the site about three years after most of the members had left.

Anyway, I was trying to join my first group RP, but I kept getting nervous every time I'd draw up a character. I'd tell myself "maybe I'm not a good enough writer" or "maybe I won't get accepted because nobody knows me" (in a first-come-first-serve application thread, lol). I finally found something I was too excited to participate in, even though all the members were part of a very defined friend group. I wrote up a character I was super happy with. . . and they all asked me to change it, lol. In fairness I was only like twelve and my characters really weren't great. They very well could've turned me down because I came up with a gross mary-sue. My struggle lies in the "too scared to even apply" part of this story, haha.

Cliques coming into an RP can be rough too. It's always weird when you have the first group trying to accept the new players, only for them to keep to themselves and refuse interaction with the older players. People get really attached to their friend groups which is fine in itself. You just have to make sure its not toxic.

This is one reason why I typically stray away from Group RPs. I agree that it is incredibly disheartening. Especially when the RP started off with good intentions. With RPs that don't start out like that, I find that when they do it's because the GM was too passive and was either not aware or didn't want to upset anyone.

I, personally, noticed a couple of months ago that I was actually guilty of this. It wasn't intentional, but rather the fact that I wasn't challenging myself and expanding out of my comfort zone. It was just easier to turn to them for group rps and 1x1s because of the intense fear of being ghosted (as I seem to have a face that people just want to ghost). Since then, I try to intentionally sign up for roleplays with people i've never met before (like, right now I'm in the ooc chat for a roleplay where out of the 13 other people in the group, only two of them I actually know).

This isn't about group rp experience, but it's pretty close. I worked as a moderator for a RP community on G+ while it was still up for around 2 years. Clique is too nice of a word for whatever they were. More like blatant worship of the community owner, especially in part the moderator team. And its always elitism with these type of people. The absolute obsession with how descriptive or how many lines you could squeeze out was ridiculous. Not to mention the amount of shit talk about the members that happened in the mod chat was uncomfortable to say the least. It was walking on thin ice with the guy's temper and getting condemned by him was getting the mod team to mob you as well. All under the guise of "professionalism". Working with them turned me into a nervous wreck because I was stupid enough to be susceptible to peer pressure. I'm not surprised if we killed a lot of people's interest in roleplaying honestly.

A RP site I just left was incredibly cliquey. I was mostly sticking around for a couple people I actually enjoyed writing with, but then one of them got banned. That was the final straw for me. I didn't want to stick around on a site where half the established members hate me while the other half I have almost nothing in common with.

I can't say I've noticed much of this behaviour on RPN, although finding RP partners here can be tough since I have a lot of pretty niche interests.

Yeah. Couple years back I fought hard to be in one of the cliques, and while I was never actually accepted in they sure had a fun time giving me the run around and, being a lonely teen, I totally gave into it with no sense of esteem at all. It got bad enough that the Queen B and a few decided to make multiple accounts, and pretend to be individual identities towards me, and then one day I caught them discussing it openly and laughing in what I assume was an “accidental” public comment(s). I reported it, but was said to be immature and to get over it, so it never got resolved. After trying to call them out on it, she sent me several messages in italic caps about what an awful person I was, how badly I hurt her from the accusations, and how I was never actually even liked or in the clique.

I don’t know why I didn’t let it go other than I was a cringe kid desperate for all the nothing I found myself in lol. Cliques happen on and off site all the time, it’s why I don’t have any friends. I can’t even answer a question directed to me in my own group work Video chat without Being talked over and ignored!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back