• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

City of Mist: Sad, Sad Situations

It takes a few more minutes of preparation before the lights in the gymnasium started to dim into total darkness and the cacophony of chatter from all the other patrons begins to die down. There is silence for a moment, then a piercing shriek rings throughout the room as the stage lights shine downward to illuminate the 'corpse' of a young girl, her face and ruffled white dress splattered with blood. Shortly after, a young man slowly enters from stage right, standing at profile as he addresses the audience.

"Hm, a shame. Yet another precious, beautiful life snuffed out in an act of bloody hate. But is all life truly precious? Are there those among us whose lives are truly equal, whose lives are worth more than your own? Mark Twain once said, in a story he had written about the Devil himself, that 'life itself is only a vision. Nothing exists but empty space and you. And you are but a thought.' Think carefully on these words as our story progresses, keep them in mind for when someone in this gruesome play perishes, and they most certainly will, ask yourself if their life was truly a precious commodity."

The man exits stage left and there is a sound of a shuffling of feet coming from backstage. Shortly after, two police officers, one rotund and the other quite slim step up to the body and begin to examine it, all the while clicking their tongues with pity.

"Another one dead, eh?" "Aye, shot in the chest during her performance this time. She died right quick after that." "Bloody shame." "Bloody shame indeed, bruv." "You think them rumors are true? There's a theater killer on the loose?" "Who knows? I'm not worrying about any murders tonight. I'm just hoping I'll make it home in time for my shows when this is all over." "Really, Constable, you are a cold-hearted bas-"

Chirp! Chirp! Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!

Just as the officer was about to say a very naughty word that some of Calypso's young, impressionable students would no doubt have used later, the telltale sounds of a fire alarm began to ring throughout the gymnasium. Through the gymnasium speakers, you could hear the voice of Mrs. Caroline directing people to move in a calm and orderly fashion towards the fire exit doors at the right side of the room. All at once, people stood up and started to make their way to the exits. Some of Calypso's students, all of whom were being very well behaved up until now, were beginning to cry in their seats from the obnoxiously loud noise.

Meanwhile, Aurora, Joe, Martha, as well as Helena would have a tough time trying to get out of there own seats as many people began walking in front of them on their way to the fire exits. It seemed, in this instance, being old was certainly not helpful.

DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird Kmbrly Kmbrly Felix Felix amongfoxesandfaeries amongfoxesandfaeries Corvid15 Corvid15

Helena was slightly confused at whatever twists they put on the story, then the obnoxious chirping of the fire alarm filled her ears. She stiffened for a fraction of a second, but then was ready to jump into action. Only problem was, while she had gotten an aisle seat for mobility, she was now being walked over by other people trying to get out.

While Helena was trapped in her seat, she looked around for any sign of fire. Was this just someone pulling the fire alarm as a prank.... or did something actually light on fire? Arson? Was it just smoke effects that set off the smoke alarm?

Once most people had left, Helena was finally able to get up. No, something in the back of her mind didn't seem.. right. She looked around for the others, to see if Joe and Martha were alright.

Aurora made sure people got out first, sticking by Joe and Martha as closely as she could. She did watch for Calypso and the children, making sure they were alright too. She made a ’wtf’ face at Helena when she noticed her looking, confused by the alarms.

She shot off a text to Mrs. Caroline, concerned.

Fire???

Mrs. Caroline replied very quickly.

Someone pulled the alarm. this is the third time this week now

Indeed, Aurora knew this all too well as she had tried to give a test earlier this week, and each time right in the middle of the test someone had pulled the alarm. The first time, the culprit hadn't been caught, but the day after, the school had unmasked and punished him. Sheldon Allan, known as Shel to the very few friends he had, had apparently 'forgotten' to study and thought pulling the fire alarm was the best way to buy himself some time. Turns out, he 'forgot' to study again, so when the time came the next day to take the test he tried sounding the alarm a second time.

Aurora had definitely seen him among the crowd of people in the foyer. Looking around at the mass of people who had gathered around the fire exits, however, it would be hard to make him out in the crowd.

Over by the doors, people seemed to be having some difficulty getting the fire exits open. Difficulty meaning, "Hey, these friggin' doors aren't budging!" At the second pair of fire exit doors, people seemed to be having the same problem. "I can't get it open!" cried one man as he tried putting the full weight of his body against the door.

Dammit. Hmm, think. Oh no. Helena came on one solution to the stuck doors, but it wasn't one she liked one bit. Actually, wait. There's no smell of smoke. Well, there was, but not in here. Far off, where she didn't know.

Rushing to the fire doors, Helena bit her lip, magically springing from shadow to shadow unnoticed, before appearing in the shadows outside. Dumpsters blocked the exits. Whoever did this had a plan.

"Please, I need you."

Taking a syrette out of her bag, Helena unwrapped it, rolling up her sleeve. Injecting the full syrette, Helena bit her lip to stay quiet as she changed. Elongated nails into claws, more pronounced muscles. A slightly monstrous form, well. Not slightly. It was horrific.

Setting her cane to the side, she pushed the dumpsters away, the doors swinging open. She hid in the darkness, holding her arms back. She couldn't afford to be seen like this, or to... make mistakes.

Her heightened senses were a blessing and a curse, the stream of people all yelling. Only if she could find where in the school the smoke was. She didn't want to stay this way for long, things got dangerous that way. Her mind was getting a bit muddled already, it had been a while since she did this.

Last edited:
"Don't let go, don't let go" Calypso yelled over and over again, she held two students on each hand, and the two students each held another student on their other hand, performing a long chain of students frightfully holding the hands of each other.

Calypso tried desperately to move them forward safely but unfortunately can not because some people absolutely did not follow the "calm and old fashioned" way like they were instructed to do. The students wailed, they were pushed and squished by people three times bigger than them, the happy smiles they used to display was long gone.

A loud cry filled her ears, she turned around and her eyes widened. A student lost their grip and the other end terribly tried to reach for the others hand. She watched fearfully as her students were swallowed by the sea of people.

At the sound of the fire alarm, Andrea's heart skipped a beat. For a moment she was frozen in her seat at the far corner of the gymnasium while a bunch of people began to stand up from their seats and head for the door. Stay calm, stay calm, she repeats the phrase in her head as she urges herself to stand up. There was no doubt that panic was starting to fill the room--apparently the doors weren't budging, and darkness was still filling the place. I shouldn't have gone to this bloody play. I should've just stayed home where everything is safe and fire can't--

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden cry from nearby. Whipping her head to the source of the sound, Andrea sees a child just standing there, occasionally bumping against other people, but nevertheless seemingly frozen in place. Truth be told she always found it hard to talk to children, but a kid shouldn't be left alone in a situation like this. Andrea wasted no time squeezing through the crowd towards the child. "Come on, let's get you to your parents," she says as gently as she can, grabbing the little boy by the hand and carefully leading him through the crowd.

"Mum...Mum said I'm not supposed to take stranger's hands,"

"I'm Andrea. Nice to meet you kid. There, not a stranger anymore. Now, who were you with before you got lost?"

The boy hesitates for a bit, but eventually speaks. "M-my friends and my teacher."

One of Calypso's? Andrea immediately darts her eyes around the area until she sees a familiar face in the crowd. She waves at Calypso's general direction, hoping her friend would see her eventually. "Calypso!" she calls out for good measure.

Calypso tried to calm the children after their classmate disappeared, the kid who was holding him cried louder than the others, the poor boy felt he was at fault on what happened. Just when she was about to reach her pocket for her phone, a voice called her name, she frantically looked around searching for the owner's voice and her eyes landed on Andrea whose trying to stay visible in the sea of people. After getting her attention, Andrea pushed her way towards her, Calypso wished she can move towards her, but she's barely holding 15+ crying children and she doesn't want to lose anyone again.

Andrea eventually met her and she thanked the heavens when she saw who she's with.

"Louise, thank goodness someone found you! Andrea thank you so much" she uttered.

"It's fine, no worries. Think of it as a thank you for the tips you gave me" Andrea joked "Do you want me to hold half of them?"

Calypso bit her lip, she doesn't want to bother, but she does need a little help. She eventually gave in, as she reluctantly gives Andrea five kids to hold, six in total, she held one on each hand, and the children formed a mini-chain. Calypso sighed, goodness she feels like a burden, remind her to give more tips if she orders again, which will probably be later when she's finally at the comfort of her shoe-boxed apartment. Together they tried to seek for safety.

It took a while for Joe to take in what was happening, his reaction speed wasn't what it used to be. He watched Martha look around in confusion and fear, as people were falling over each other to get out. Getting her out safely was very important, as were the lives of the other people. If this turned out to be a false alarm, people could still get hurt in the panicked frenzy. He would have to fall back on his police routines.

"Please watch Martha as I guide these people." He told Aurora. "I will be back as soon as possible."

Joe climbed on stage and banged one of the fold-able chairs on it to get attention.

"Listen up, people! Everyone remain calm. For all we know this might be a false alarm and if it wasn't, evacuating in an orderly fashion can save lives. So please, don't scare your children, keep a watchful eye and go outside side by side in a calm fashion. We can do this if we all remain calm."

He walked back to Martha and Aurora. "Sorry to leave you like that, but this had to happen. Now let's close the line ourselves shall we?"

"How are we supposed to get outside then the doors are-" with another push on each door, they opened with a surprising amount of ease compared to earlier. Shutting up, the man who cried out walked outside with the rest of the crowd who had listened to Joe's instructions and had gradually calmed down.

Two by two, side by side, the people exited the gymnasium and went out to meet the cool summer air outside. Eventually, after rounding up her students, Calypso and Andrea managed to herd them all outside. Already, people had begun to notice the dumpsters that were right next to all the fire exits and were starting to chatter about how they ended up there.

Aurora looked for Sheldon, her brows furrowing in concern when she couldn’t find him. She hoped he hadn’t done this as a prank. He’d be in serious trouble if he did.

She stuck by Martha, like Joe had asked. There was a part of her that wished she could be more useful.

“Let’s go. I‘ll probably have to go and see if anyone needs my help.”

She walked with Martha and Joe outside of the gym.

“There should be some benches near the exit. Let’s sit there while things get sorted out.”

Helena jumped onto the roof, trying to scout where the fire actually was. She sniffed the air, cocking her head. The fire was in the main building. The fire alarm here was a distraction. Was the culprit thinking they could lock us in and set everything ablaze?

"Let it burn.."

Helena took advantage of the little time she had like this, leaping around to the front and staying on the roof. She called from the roof, to Joe, Martha, and Aurora.

"Fire in the main building. First floor"

As Helena started yelling down from the roof, telling the group where the fire was, people in the crowd heard and saw her as well. All of a sudden, talk of how the dumpsters got to where they are switched to how and why this woman was on the roof.

"How in the world did she get up there?" "Was the one who pulled the alarm?" "So there's actually a fire?" "Maybe she's the one who started it."

As people began to question and speculate about just what the hell was going on here, a teenage boy came running out of the building. This was, as Aurora would quickly realize, Sheldon Allen. He joined the crowd of people, no doubt looking for his friends whom he had come with.

Aurora pulled her shoulders back and made her way over to Sheldon, her face stern and a little terrifying. She would get some answers.

“Sheldon Allan, did you have something to do with this?”

She could deal with the fire in a moment. She was dealing with this first.

Sheldon made a sour face as his biology teacher accused him of having done something wrong. "Uh, no," he said with the kind of attitude a teacher doesn't like to hear. "I was in the bathroom when the alarm went off. You can ask Troy or the usher that let me out of the gym." Almost immediately, his friend Troy started nodding in agreement, piping in with a "Yeah, Shel told me he was going to the bathroom."

"Just because I pulled the alarm a few times doesn't mean I started a fire. God." Sheldon rudely turns his back on Aurora, seemingly done with this conversation.

Aurora’s usually warm gaze goes cold and she clears her throat sharply, her voice ice and ire.

“Mind your manners, Mister Allan. Come over here. Now. I wish talk with you. Without your friends.”

She steps to the side, no longer the concerned and friendly Rory, and instead the intimidating Miss Callahan that had cowed many a grand terror in her classroom with a simple look.

“Your pranks are not always as...harmless as you would like, Mister Allan. Might I remind you of the windows your parents had to replace last month because of your antics?”

She crosses her arms and sighs.

“If you had a hand in this, letting me know now will be a lot better for you. Do you understand that?”

Shel avoids Aurora's gaze and scratches at his arm as she reprimands him. "I didn't do anything. I told you I was in the bathroom when the alarm went off. Maybe it was that guy everyone's talking about? The one following students around and busting up lockers?"

Ah yes, 'that guy'. Aurora would know, having heard it from gossiping students and teachers that there's a rumor going around about a man who's been seen lurking around the school and following students home. Of course, nobody's actually seen this person as of yet. The busted up lockers that Shel had spoken about was something that happened, but teachers speculate that it was just Arnold Schwartz trying to get into his locker after he'd forgotten his combination. He's got some anger issues.

“Yes, and how am I supposed to find someone that no one’s ever seen, Sheldon? I’m afraid I can’t work magic.”

Aurora bites back a sad laugh at her own words, thinking of the ever-flourishing plants in her apartment and the auras she could see. She shook her head.

“Unless you happened to actually see him. Which would be awfully convenient for you. Are you sure you know nothing?”

She caught his gaze, staring into his soul and trying to get him to tell her the truth.

"I don't know anything. This is so stupid, I'm going to get in trouble for nothing. I should've just stayed home." Shel was starting to get visibly impatient now, more so than before anyway. "Can I please go now?

“If anyone says you started the fire, I’ll tell them you didn’t. That I saw you in the gym and all that. Alright?”

Aurora sighed.

“Go on.”

When Shel left, she immediately took off towards the main building, her heart stopping when she saw the flames. Without any hesitation, Aurora immediately broke open the case for the fire extinguisher and started spraying.

“This is...shit!”

Last edited:
Sprining across, Helena jumped down from the roof, landing. She shadow jumped through the window, not leaving a trace. It was filled with smoke. But that didn't bother her at all.

She grabbed a fire extinguisher, spraying the fire in the foyer. She hoped she could change back after this. Her Friend was getting impatient. Especially since she heard Aurora. Alone, stupid. Why rush in here?

Joe sat down with Martha, not willing to leave her side. He saw Rory interrogate a kid and then run in. How brave of her. How stupid. He wished he could help her, but he had to keep Martha safe, she couldn't be alone.

"Go on. I know you want to." Martha told him. She knew him to well.

"I can't, I have to keep you safe." He got out his phone. "Besides there is nothing I can do against this. I better call the people who are."

"911. What is your emergency?"

"This is detective Moneta" Creature of habit. "I mean, Joe Moneta. There is a fire at the Paul Simon Regional High School, please send a squad of firefighters."

"I'm sorry to hear that, but it will take a while. There is a huge fire on the other end of town."

"What?!" Joe got really angry. "Why aren't there more fire fighters?"

"Sir, please remain calm. You know how the city is cutting our resources, please be patient. In the mean time make sure everyone is safe and calm and don't let people endanger themselves. This is no time for heroics."

Joe calmed down. "Fine." And he hung up, frustrated with not being able to help.

With her and Aurora working together, the fire quickly died out. Staring at the floor, Helena noticed a pour pattern probably from gasoline. She made a note of that, beforw whipping her ehad around to the gym doors.

Two students laid there, burnt and injured. Helena tried to assess what was wrong or if they were even alive, but she couldn't stop staring. Their burns.. people would hate them, mock them, they would feel alone trapped behind their scars. Like she was. The flood of emotions came back, remembering what it was like right after the accident. But.. no. Shut up.

The sight of the bodies was beautiful, not to Helena. To her other half, her friend who was taking over more and more. They were kind today, normally they would take over sooner. But, the kids probably were dead anyway, and if they weren't they would wish they were once they wake up. She could do them a favor, it had been a while.

Aurora, after her and Helena extinguished the flames, she puts the fire extinguisher away and eyes the scorch marks on the floor. She noted the way it started at the doors, clearly intended to kill the people inside. She felt ill at the thought of it and stepped forward to find out more.

When she saw the bodies of the students, her heart stopped and she let out a choked half-scream. Rory fell to her knees and crawled towards them, trying to see if they were still alive. The tears in her eyes and pounding in her ears didn’t let her.

Nononono.”

Then she saw the marks on their wrists and mouths. Her fear mingled with anger, and she let out a shaky breath.

“Someone...someone wanted them to die.”

Aurora‘s face was slick with tears. Furious and grieving. They deserved better. So much better than this.

Your investigation of the bodies after having put out the fire revealed a few things about the incident.

1. The fire had been started right behind the doors leading to the gymnasium.
  2. There was a pour pattern near where the fire started, meaning that some flammable substance was spilled or splashed or poured to start it.
  3. The bodies laying on the ground were students, the ones who had been sitting behind the plastic table taking tickets from all the patrons.
  4. There were markings on their wrists and mouths, potentially bindings, the cause is unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back