• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

City of Mist: Sad, Sad Situations

Aurora Callahan, dressed in bright yellow yet again, proudly sings her students’ praises. Her vibrant crimson hair is pulled back from her face, green eyes twinkling with pride and mirth. She saw the familiar face of her great uncle excused herself from a lively conversation with teachers and parents, almost skipping towards them.

“Uncle Joe, Auntie Martha! It’s good to see you both again. How are you both?”

She looks conflicted for a moment, clearly torn between giving them a hug or not. Aurora didn’t want to make them uncomfortable.

“The students have had so much fun working on the play. I’m really excited to see how it goes.”

She chuckles.

“I mean, I know it’ll be good, but it’ll be fun to see where they go with the Phantom’s story.”

Joe walked into the foyer, Martha was leaning quite heavily on his arm, but he was not bothered by it. He was worried all the impulses would be too much for her, but when he looked at her face, there was only delight. He relaxed a little. It sure was great to be out.

"I wonder what all these people are here for ..." She said.

"They are here for the school play, my dear, and so are we." He answered patiently.

"Oh, how wonderful. Will Aurora play in it?"

"No, dear. It's her kids who are performing."

"... oh ..." She said a little confused.

"Speaking of the devil, there she is!" Joe waved as he saw their niece approaching them. Martha did recognize her, but seemed to be surprised.

"My, my! You have grown so much." She went in for a hug. Joe tried to express 'don't mention it' to Aurora.

"She sure has." He went in for a hug as Martha pulled away. "Good to see you. We are very much looking forward to the play as well aren't we dear?"

"Oh yes, very much." Martha replied.

"So, how have you been Aurora?"

Aurora happily hugged them both, nodding subtly at Joe’s ‘don’t mention it’ expression. She got regular updates from her mum, Maria.

“I’ve been good. I recently got some more plants, which shouldn’t be that surprising for anyone, and learned another recipe. I should cook for you both one night.”

Aurora gave them another warm grin, clearly just happy to see her family.

“How’re you both doing?”

"Oh, you know, same old, same old." Joe said. " Pretty good under the circumstances, I suppose. Martha has been really into knitting lately."

"Oh yes, I like knitting keeps my hands busy. No matter what happens I will always know how to knit."

"You sure do, my dear." Joe said with a sad voice. He sure hoped she would be right. "Dinner sounds so nice, we should definitely do that, maybe you can ask your mother to join as well."

"Maybe I can make my lasagna, wouldn't that be nice."

Joe agreed, the nice thing about lasagna was that they could just set a timer, so she wouldn't forget. He hated the sound of the fire alarm, even though he was all to familiar with it. "I do like the way you make your lasagna."

Dr. Helena E. Fleisher, Helena to her friends, didn't even know how she was here. One of her colleague's kids was in this show, so he gave her a ticket. How she wasn't working tonight, she had no idea.

Dressed in a casual suit, Helena was leaning on her cane, her brown hair pulled into a braided bun. She walked over to a group of three people talking (Aurora, Joe, and Martha). Helena had a German accent, not so thick you to where you couldn't understand her, but it was there.

"Terribly sorry to interrupt, but did you knit that scarf yourself, Madam? It's beautiful."

Helena asked Martha, giving her a polite nod, before turning her head back down. She didn't like people looking at her, they only stared at her scars. That's how she injured her leg, actually. Work accident. Scars across the right side of her face, and on her right leg and a little of her right arm. Right eye was now useless, thankfully work has great healthcare and workman's comp.

"Oh, and Miss. Love your dress. Not my style, but it looks lovely on you. Oh, Aurora! Its been forever. How are you?"

Last edited:
“That sounds lovely. I’ll have to talk with her about it.”

Aurora was about to say something, before she turned to see Helena. She smiled and offered a hand.

“Oh, it is lovely to see you again. This my Auntie Martha and Uncle Joe.”

She pointed to her aunt and uncle.

“This is Doctor Helena. She’s one of Mum’s colleagues.”

Martha smiled at the ladies compliment. "Yes I did, isn't it lovely? A friend of Maria's is a friend of ours, right Joe?"

She stepped forward to give Helena a hand and let her touch the nicely knitted fabric.

"Yes, quite right." Joe also went in for a hand. "Lovely to meet you doctor Helena. We are actually Maria's aunt and uncle, but we are quite close to the family, so Aurora calls us that as well. I'm assuming you are here for the play as well?"

Helena switched her cane in her hands to give a handshake to Joe and Martha, before switching it back. She gave a light chuckle.

"Ja. One of my coworkers couldn't make it, so he gave me his ticket. He knew I was a fan of theatre, and he didn't want to waste his ticket."

Truthfully, she didn't like High School productions that much. They were hit or miss in quality. When they were good, they were wonderful. When they were bad, mein gott they were bad. But, Dr. Stewart vouched for his son, and the quality of the production, so she caved and decided to go.

“The students have worked really hard on the production, actually. I’m very proud of them.”

Aurora ran her fingers down her dress and looked over the crowd, smiling at a few familiar faces here and there. She turned back to the group when she saw Calypso and her class.

“Oh, you must excuse me! I see a friend of mine. I’ll be back in a moment.”

And she went to say hello.

"Seventeen......Eighteen....Mr. Smith, please keep your voice down, we're here to watch a play, this is not a place for you to misbehave"

Jake Smith, stuck his tongue out at Calypso but followed his teacher's orders anyway. Jake is always known to misbehave, he has that "I do what I want" mindset that Calypso tries conscientiously to change and manage. Nevertheless, Jake is a smart kid, she hopes he'll grow out of it soon.

"Hello Caly, long time no see" Calypso turned around to see her college friend, Aurora. They were roommates and night time study buddies, it was such a shame they never met after they graduated, but they do exchange a few small talks online.

"Oh, Aurora! It's nice to see you again" Calypso smiled and went in for a small hug.

amongfoxesandfaeries amongfoxesandfaeries

Paul Simon High's The Phantom
Admittance One

Andrea couldn't help but occasionally look at the ticket as she made her way towards the front of the school. Truth be told she probably wasn't supposed to have it, but then again she couldn't give it back to the original owner because she didn't know who it was. Sighing, she shoves the ticket back in her coat pocket and looks around the school. It seems the play hasn't started yet, given the amount of people walking about. Perhaps there were some familiar faces?

Indeed there were.

"Calypso!" Andrea waves as she calls out to her next-door neighbor, recognizing Caly from a distance. It takes her a moment to realize, however, that her friend is currently in a conversation with someone. Ack...hopefully she hadn't interrupted things.

Helena continued making small talk with Joe and Martha, before she heard a voice at her side. A small, annoying child (Jake Smith), who had wandered away from the group.

"Why is your face so weird and ugly?"

Helena stiffened, looking away. It had been years, sure, but she still was sensitive about it. She did not respond right away, balancing herself on her cane. Her scars weren't that bad compared to some she had seen, but it still looked.. off.

The small gremlin continued:

"Hey! Answer me."

Jake kicked Helena's cane and it slipped from her hand. She was able to stand for a few seconds, before losing balance and falling. The cane was the main thing that kept her balance. Her right leg was kinda usable, but not for suddenly supporting her full weight. Helena landed on her backside, undignified. She groaned.

"That is no way to behave young man!" Martha scolded him. She looked around calling for the mother or caretaker this kid belonged to.

Meanwhile Joe helped Helena up and handed her cane back to her. "Yeah, you better watch out kid, if I were still a policemen I could have arrested you for this!" Not entirely true, but it would probably be enough to scare this kid. "Are you alright, doctor?"

"Thank you. Yes, I am alright. You... kinda get used to it."

Helena was pulled to her feet, steadying herself on her cane. Children were always the worst about her looks. They were blunt and honest. They look at an apple, and call it an apple. Sometimes, they did stuff like this. She preferred it to stares, honestly. You know what they're thinking when they yell at you, but not when they stare like you are an animal.

Aurora squeezed her tightly and gave Calypso’s class a little wave. She turned back to her friend, clearly delighted to see her.

“Oh, it’s good to see you! If your class hadn’t been permitted to attend, I would’ve gotten you a ticket anyway. I know how much you love the theatre.”

She turned to see a woman waving at Calypso, and waved her over.

“Is she a friend of yours?

Rory saw one of Caly’s students wander over to Helena and her aunt and uncle, a little suspicious. She imagined he was curious about Helena’s scars, and she couldn’t fault a little kid for that, but she also knew that they could be cruel.
And she found herself proven right a little too roughly.

Aurora immediately went to help Helena, making sure she didn’t lean too heavily on Joe.

“Oh, are you alright? No blood or bruises?”

Aurora walked away for a moment but Calypso was too preoccupied to see where she's heading instead, she watched Andrea walk towards her.

"I'm so sorry did I interrupt?" Andrea shyly smiled, a nervous expression is displayed in her face.

"Oh no, don't worry. I just had a small talk with a college friend, by the way, I didn't know you planned on attending, you should've told me" Calypso grinned, she pats her friend's shoulder an action she makes whenever she unexpectedly sees someone she knew, and also a way to assure them.

But before Andrea could answer she heard a loud commotion. She turned her attention to the noise and saw her student snickering while a group of people (including Aurora) helping a seemingly troubled lady. Her eyes widened, how unresponsible of her to lose attention to her students, especially the little devil.

She rushed towards them, Andrea following behind her with the same hint of worry.

"Jake, what in the world did you do this time?" She approached her student, gripping his arm lightly. "You say sorry to her, right now!"

Jake held a grumpy face turning his head to Calypso and to the woman.

"What makes you think I'm the one who did that? You didn't even see it" He spat, everyone's heads turned to the obviously lying boy. He still isn't bothered whatsoever and stood there chest out like he didn't say anything disrespectful.

"Now, Jake!" Calypso spat back

"Sorry" he pulled his hand away and ran to his classmates, Calypso knew he's gonna start babbling about it to his friends.

"I'm so sorry" Calypso added, the little devil didn't give a proper apology so Caly figured she'll say it on his behalf.

Last edited:
"I might be bruised later, but I will be fine."

Helena straightened. There were school kids. It was no fault to their teacher that she couldn't keep track of everyone at once, with this many troublesome students. Walking over to the teacher and the boy, she looked down at Jake, then at the rest of the class.

"What do you find so funny? Is it how I look? Well, that is rather rude, just because of looks. I have no control over it. Just like you have no control of your eye or hair color. Or what hand you write with. It's not something I can hide. It was a lab accident you see, im a scientist. We work in top secret stuff most people think only exists in movies, with aliens. But, I don't think I should tell you that story, you'd have to promise to be good for your teacher, and never tell anyone. "

Helena sat down in a nearby chair, still talking to the students. Her strict work personality seeping through. That of a focused academic. She stopped her lab story there, making the children want to hear more. Sure, it wasn't what happened. But children buy up that kind of stuff all the time. And no one will believe them that a woman does mad scientist stuff and works with aliens. But, it keeps them entertained, and drives it home.

"I'm sure you all have had others say not nice things to you. They hurt your feelings, you get sad or mad. Don't you think I have to hear that every day? People staring at me because I look different, or I use a cane. The teasing and mean words doesn't stop. Imagine hearing mean things about something you have no control over, every single day. It hurts, wouldn't it?"

"The rest of you may laugh, but you're hurting me as much as Jake did. You may not have said anything to me, but you're laughing. Encouraging him. Making it seem like it's okay to push others or call them names. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

Sure, it was dramatic. But that is what worked with kids. Scare tactics. You're an adult, they believe what you say. Hell, you could tell them the moon is made of yogurt and they'd believe it. The kids were listening, kind of surprisingly. Most were still staring at her face sure, but they were listening.

"It is better to try to reach out, and support others, than it is to hurt them. Build bridges, make friends. Don't burn bridges between you and someone else. You know, we have some time before the play starts, and if you promise to be good, I can tell you the whole story. "

Aurora was impressed. She had always struggled with young children, when it came to teaching, and there Helena was with a group of them in awe. The aliens definitely helped, but the good doctor was very charming.

“I think that’s a good idea. But it is up to Miss Domingo, after all.”

Rory gestured to Calypso and smiled, before turning to her aunt and uncle.

“Are you both alright? I could go and get you a place to sit while we’re waiting? Coffee or water? You know I like to make myself useful.”

With a brief crackle, the school's intercom system burst into life. "Attention everyone, tonight's production of 'The Phantom' will be starting within the next few minutes. Please remember to bring your tickets to the desk by the gymnasium doors. If you need help finding your assigned seats, please allow one of our ushers to assist you."

With another stint of gargling white noise, the announcement was over. All at once, people began making their way to the gym.
DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird Kmbrly Kmbrly Felix Felix amongfoxesandfaeries amongfoxesandfaeries Corvid15 Corvid15

“Well, that’s strangely good timing.”

Aurora started to walk with the crowd, making sure to stay close to her family. She hoped they’d put them near each other, for various reasons. Mostly so she can keep an eye on her family.

Helena finished her "true story" of how she got her scars as the loudspeaker came to life. She hoped they had honored her request for an aisle seat (it was hard for her to walk across rows, and generally easier for everyone).

It would be nice if she sat with Joe, Martha, and Aurora. And that teacher was nice, Calypso, Aurora called her. And she thought she saw Andrea, the pizza woman, in the crowd. She ordered out a lot, as she would come home very late from work, and end up ordering out at midnight or so. They never questioned when she ordered 10 people's worth of food, and picked it up at 3 am. Helena walked over to Andrea, giving a polite hello. Helena often ordered lunch for her coworkers for hard days, but work wouldn't allow them to deliver on site. So Helena had them deliver a couple of miles away, and Helena would drive it back. Helena tipped well.

"Andrea, how are you?"

Things happened so fast--one second Andrea was about to reply to Calypso, and the next thing she knew there was a commotion happening nearby. Her friend was the first to rush towards the source, and for a moment Andrea hesitated to follow before noticing the familiar lady currently on the floor. Was that Doctor Helena? Andrea wasn't exactly sure about what happened, but it seemed the doctor had fallen. Only when she approached the group did the answer become clearer.

Andrea watched the whole ordeal in silence, rather impressed with how the doctor had handled the situation. Kids were...difficult, but it was apparent that they could be swayed with the right words. Before she could observe any further, the school's intercom system blared an announcement, prompting people to start making their way to the gym. Andrea pats Calypso on the shoulder, "Seems you'll be busy with these kids," she says with a grin, gesturing at the kindergartners that were starting to scatter. "I'll meet you in the gym later, then?"

She gives her friend a wave, watching Caly disappear in the sea of people. Andrea just stands there for a while, contemplating whether to really get inside, before she hears someone call her name. Turning to the source, she is met by a familiar face--Doctor Helena, who was one of the only people Andrea delivered pizza to at midnight. Not that she complained. The doctor tipped well and ordered a lot--both in frequency and in the amount of food.

"Hey, doc!" Andrea says with a smile, giving the doctor a nod. "I'm good, I'm good. I didn't expect to see you here--know someone on the play?"

Corvid15 Corvid15 Kmbrly Kmbrly

Joe and Martha had been listening to the doctor lecturing the kids on diversity. Joe really endorsed this. As a black cop he had seen plenty of people being assholes, both cops and criminals and sometimes he caught himself thinking judgmental thoughts as well. Luckily there were plenty of people like Martha in this world, who respected anyone for their differences.

Joe and Martha lingered behind a little as everyone moved to their seat. The chaos and enthusiasm was a bit much at their age. All those different people pushing to get to the best seats and such. Joe knew there tickets were at a good place and he was happy to let someone assist them to their places after most people had already been seated. People got up willingly so they could walk to their places. Sometimes being old was really helpful.

After the announcement Calypso turned to her students, she first counted their heads to make sure no one's missing, she then led them to the gymnasium's doors where three high schoolers stood checking for the tickets.

"Alright kiddos, please line up by height and take out your tickets" The students quietly line up and took out their yellow tickets from their bag, or from their pockets. "Great, now give the tickets to them" she smiled as one by one her students gave their tickets to the high schoolers.

"Hello, miss. May I help you take your students to your seats?" One of the high schoolers suggested.

"Oh, please do"

The boy nodded and took the lead. Her students are in awe in their surroundings, a few skipped and pointed at different things, they giggled and whispered to each other in glee. Calypso smiled, children's laughter does warm people's hearts, don't they? Eventhough they can be a real pain sometimes.

"Here you go miss, the students take this row and the one in front" the boy gestured.

"Thank you" the boy nodded and walked back to the entrance. She sighed and turned to her students.

"Alright, by height everyone! Start in the front then at the back, and remember, sit properly and no talking during the play, " she instructed. The kids excitedly rushed to their seats, each has a big smile plastered on their faces.

"Ah-! Jake, you sit with me"

"And why exactly?" He hissed, Calypso tsked and strictly pointed to the chair next to her. "Troublemakers get to sit next to the teacher" she added just to tick him off.

He ground and pushed past his classmate and sat in his chair, he first made sure he made a loud plop to also tick Caly back. He murmured something but Calypso didn't hear it, instead, Calypso shrugged it off thinking it's nothing important.

Last edited:
Aurora did quickly dart backstage before the show started, giving the students encouragement before everything started, so she was one of the last people to sit down. She really was proud of them.

Rory sat down beside Joe and Martha, wondering what twist the students had put on The Phantom’s story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back