• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

GinkyGotBack

A Very Good Boy
n-a7KLXU5Yjw2sAvHaV7FsJldVIDjrRCEHBHksw314gHOSNredMCJUUq0KIKajvjlSGWEXtP-LMiiseR_BISshW0ftFqJd2eBuQHV3_mU3MqE6Yno-6IgJhjaEIKfsQmNcis-Tkr
The things you’ll see on the streets, they don’t always add up, y’know? Sometimes you’re downtown, middle of the day, you raise your head and catch a strange reflection on the skyscraper: something like a crooked, dreary castle tower is jutting into the overcast sky above. Another day, you take out the trash in the evening and you see her across the street, looking at you, a kid dressed in bright colors with the head of an elephant. Or you’re alone at the office, it’s late, and you hear a voice, a familiar voice, calling to you. Someone you knew, and they’ve been dead for years. It’s not Halloween. You’re not on drugs. What are you going to do?

I’ll tell you what: You’re going to keep doing the same things you’ve always been doing. You keep walking. You dump the trash and come back inside, watch some TV. You keep working. It’s in your head, right? You can’t really be seeing this. There must be some logical explanation. But a tiny part of you is questioning. It’s whispering: what’s going on? Where am I? What is this? It feels like you’re about to wake up from a dream, but this feeling stretches over weeks, months, and years.

You get used to it. You get used to it so much that you hardly ever remember this feeling is there. You go back to your life: you work, sleep, eat, you do whatever it is you do. See, you can’t afford to really ask yourself what was that thing you saw. You can’t, because deep down inside you know the truth. You know that if you go looking for answers, if you doubt the way things are, you will have no escape but to also doubt who you are. You’ll have to ask the toughest question of all: who am I?

City of Mist is a tabletop RPG that is partially based on the Powered by the Apocalypse game engine which made its first appearance in D. Vincent Baker's game Apocalypse World. It is a game where your character, known as a 'Rift', can perform incredible feats and gain access to extraordinary powers thanks to a mysterious force that is their 'Mythos'.

In its essence, City of Mist is a tabletop role-playing game in which you play modern-day versions of your favorite myths, legends, and fairy tales. It's essentially a blend of the superhero and noir genres where your characters must use their powers and investigative skills to solve crimes and rumble with wrongdoers in a city that seems completely oblivious to all the strange goings-on happening all around them. Will your character give in to their Mythos and become a legend come to life? Or will they lose track of their powers in pursuit of a better life for themselves and join the rest of society in sweet ignorance?

My Plans for the Game

I'm looking for anywhere from 3-6 players though I may be willing to do seven if there's a lot of interest and I'm really digging somebody's character concept. Definitely no more than eight though, that might be a bit out of my league. I'm not demanding that you write two or three paragraphs for every post and I'm not expecting perfect grammar either, but I think good spelling and at least two sentences to a paragraph depending on the situation isn't too much to ask for.

So far I have two different cases ready to ship out with the first being a fairly short homemade case and the second being an official module which is also kind of short. These are mostly just to get everyone used to the system since I've got a feeling most people haven't played City of Mist before. After that, the cases will be mostly homemade with maybe some official modules thrown in every now and again just to give my brain a break for a while.
1589388031665.pngMonday through Friday from 3 PM to 12 AM EST I work so most of my activity is going to be either before or after that time and of course, I'll be completely available during the weekends. To start I think we'll just try to get posts out when we can just to sort of get a feel for when people might be available and if or when we realize that isn't going to work we'll simply have 'sessions' on set days (and potentially set times), either Saturday or Sunday.

I'm more than happy to steer the game in whatever direction you guys might like. If you want to be like detectives and scrounge around for clues, solving crimes and busting criminals then that's great! If you guys want to be like actual superheroes, on the streets fighting superpowered villains, flying around and saving civilians then that's great too! If there's a mix of the two where some players want one and some players want the other I could potentially split you into two groups or we can compromise and see if we can't blend the two together.

As for Mythos, I don't really have any problems with what you guys come up with except for no comic book/cartoon/manga/anime characters. Your Mythos is normally going to be from a real-world story like a fairy tale, mythology, some legend or folklore, it could be something from a book or even a ghost story. This could, if you interpret it a certain way, mean that you could pick someone like Superman or Goku as your Mythos since they both come from some pretty popular and somewhat old literature. However, I feel it would be very weird to have characters with Mythos that originate from comics or manga or animated shows, not because they'd be potentially overpowered, but because they just wouldn't fit in well with the other characters' Mythos. Unless of course, everyone's Mythos was like that too, but I'm not sure how likely that would be. It just feels weird to get your superpowers from actual preexisting superheroes or villains is all in the context of this setting.

If you guys have any questions about how the system works or if you would like to discuss your character concepts or anything at all just leave a post down below and I'll get to it as soon as I can!

Your character's Mythos is the legend growing inside them. It is most often an element of an existing real world story, such as:
  • a human character whether they possess super-natural powers or not
  • a supernatural being, such as a god or a fairy
  • a legendary creature or monster
  • an anthropomorphic animal ( like the puss in Puss in Boots)
  • a magical item or an object of great significance
  • a magical location
  • etc.
The story from which you draw your Mythos can be:
  • mythology, such as the Egyptian, Celtic, Aztec, or any other
  • legend or folklore, such as Arthurian legend or West African Ashanti folklore
  • a fairy tale, such as the Grimm's brother's fairy tales or The Little Mermaid
  • a folk story, such as the tales of the lumberjack Paul Bunyan
  • a famous literary work, such as Peter Pan, Frankenstein, or The Wind in the Willows
  • an urban legend, like the Sewer Gator or the Hook
  • a religious tale, such as the stories about saints in Christianity, Sufi masters in Islam, or bodhisattvas in Buddhism
  • a real world occurrence that has received legend status, such as Jack the Ripper

So I see that this is under dice interest checks. I am very interested of the idea but I do not have any dice roleplaying experience. How beginner friendly would this setting be?

So I see that this is under dice interest checks. I am very interested of the idea but I do not have any dice roleplaying experience. How beginner friendly would this setting be?
I'd say fairly friendly. Roleplaying seems to be the main focus of it and dice is just used as a narrative tool than it is for combat.

Basically, when you want to do something you'd declare you're performing one of the 8 Actions in the game and roll 2 six-sided dice. You take the result, add in any bonuses or penalties you might get and I tell you how things play out!

The server is nearly finished though! It just needs a bit of touching up and I have to set up the dice bot. Otherwise it's practically done

This sounds really interesting. Especially being an impersonation of some kind of place sounds quite interesting.

Are you still open? These kinds of themes are my favorite and this really caught my attention.
Yep, 100% still open! You and Felix will take up the 6th and 7th slots! I'll add you both to the conversation and you guys can join the link from there
This sounds really interesting. Especially being an impersonation of some kind of place sounds quite interesting.
Come on in then, pal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back