• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Chronicles of Sylaria

Hihi, new person here! This is my first post so this is kind of going to be sort of an introduction as well as a recruitment thread. I've been writing fiction and role playing for awhile. I used to be part of a community of RPers who all knew each other quite well, but then life happened and we sort of drifted apart. I miss being able to share stories with people, so here I am again hoping to find a new place to RP. My style of writing tends to be more freeform. I have very few rules in my role plays (if any) and I almost never have a solid plan. Vague ideas, sure, but never a plan. >.> So I'm very flexible and welcoming of ideas from other people.

As for the story, weeeellll... The story takes place in the world of Sylaria, which is basically just your cookie-cutter fantasy setting like Lord of the Rings. So, Elves, Orcs, Goblins, that sort of thing. The story begins with a young girl waking up in the wilderness and realizing that she's inhabiting the body of her avatar (yes, Chronicles of Sylaria is a game--or was a game. >.> ). I confess this story is heavily inspired by AFK if anyone's familiar, but with my own personal spin on it. Death is permanent here and obvious game mechanics like the menus from Sword Art or Log Horizon don't exist. Real world ability is also translated into the game, so even if you're a high level adventurer your character's skills and knowledge aren't automatically you're own. For example, Scarlett can pick pockets and locks because it's something she knows how to do IRL, but she has no idea how to fight with a sword because she's never been trained. Skills like magic and sword fighting can be learned, though, the same way you would learn them in the real world, practice, practice, practice. Also, there are no classes in the game. Unlike World of Warcraft the game is skill-based, kind of like Skyrim, almost. You start off by picking a few starter skills to get bonuses in and then after that you could improve any skill you wanted to simply by using it.

The playable races are humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, orcs and goblins and others (i don't really have a set list so if there's something you want just ask). The monsters you'll find in the world are the usual, harpies, orcs, goblins, etc., but there are a few differences, though. Orcs and goblins tend to gather in tribes, they do raid human settlements and caravans, but their relationship with the civilized races of the world is more nuanced. Humans usually kill orcs on sight, so their actions could theoretically be justified as self-defense. Similarly, relations between humans and elves are also strained. Elves, who are in tune with nature, view humans as a destructive force on the world, so there's a lot of distrust and bad blood there. Elven characters usually start off in the Elven city of Iselia, far from human lands and rarely interact with the other races. The borders of Elven territory are guarded zealously day and night. The Old Wood, however, is near the city of Aerilon, a human settlement aaaand there's a reason why Scarlett is there that I haven't quite gotten to the point of explaining yet. >.>

The lore behind the world is kind of a blank slate, and I'm kind of making it up as I go, but a few things to note. There is a dark lord, of course, and minions of the dark lord tend to be more monstrous than your average orc or goblin. They're basically creatures infused with the dark lord's power, his magic twisting them and corrupting their form. Normally, when you kill a monster in this world it doesn't come back (respawns are a game mechanic that doesn't exist... Sort of). The minions of the dark lord, however, do. They come from the Blood Mists (basically a red fog, exactly how it sounds). That's kind of how the respawn mechanic works in this world. Every now and then a red fog will come and deposit a bunch of monsters in an area. I'm still kind of working out how magic works in this world. Currently, all I've got so far is that there are two schools of thought, primal magic and arcane magic. Primal magic is primarily used by nature-based races like the Elves and is akin to borrowing energy from the natural world to do a thing. Arcane magic is typically cast by human and dwarven wizards and is a bit more forceful. It's not exactly twisting the world to shape it the way you want, but it's close. So far these differences are just thematic, I don't exactly know how they work yet (like I said, vague ideas but no plan. >.> ).

I think that covers most of what I have? Maybe? Iono... >< Anyway, I was thinking of putting this into Group RP but I'm not sure if this story lends itself well to a large group of people. I'm of the mind that anyone who joins my thread is a main character which is harder to do with lots of people, so I'm thinking I should keep the player count low. Like maybe four or five people total? Iono. I have a really difficult time saying no to people, though, sooo... >< (Edit: No player cap, I've changed my mind. I do that, I'm a leaf on the wind. >.> ) I'm not too picky about who joins, but I do appreciate good quality writing. All that really matters to me, though, is that an effort is made. I know from personal experience that it can be pretty hard not to write a one line post sometimes.

Last edited:
First post is up in 1x1. Couple of notes, Scarlett will eventually escape from Damien but I do have a couple of scenes planned between them before that happens. Also, Damien is a major antagonist in the story and a recurring character. So is Liana, who I haven't introduced yet. >.>

And I forgot to mention the changes to NPCs. >< So, NPCs in the game had fixed dialogues, but after the world fracturing (a term that will come up later in the story) they're now completely indistinguishable from regular people. So like, playing a character from the real world isn't your only option. If you wanted to you could play an NPC from this world as well. I'm super flexible, so if you have an interesting idea for the lore feel free to run with it.

Ok, I just noticed that this thread was moved to group interest. I think I made a mistake. I had someone move the IC thread over to group too. ><

I am relatively in the same boat as you; not new to roleplaying but I will work on a post if that's cool. I dig the idea.

so when should i introduce my character to the story and did you want to know what I had in mind for my character

Sure, you can post it in the OOC thread or PM it to me if you want. You can introduce your character at any time. My only suggestion would be to introduce them somewhere close to Aerilon. Since the world is quite large and travel is quite difficult it'll be easier for everyone to meet each other if we're all kind of in the same area. The story may eventually take us to other parts of the world, but for right now the main focus (or my main focus) is going to be the area around Aerilon.

If you wanted to introduce your character as a member of Damien's guild that's a possibility, but I don't know if I would recommend it. I have maybe one last scene planned between Scarlett and Damien before she manages to escape. After that she'll be in a better position to encounter someone either in one of the villages or the city itself. If you need help coming up with an idea for what your character might be doing, though, feel free to ask. One thing you could try, is to just put yourself in your character's position. If you suddenly woke up in the world of a fantasy MMO what would you do? That's kind of where I started when writing these characters. I just tried to think of things people would do if laws were suddenly not a thing. (They are totally a thing, though, and getting caught doing something criminal in the city is not advisable. >< ) And lastly, don't be afraid to tell your own story. Even though we're only in one small part of the world right now there's still plenty of room for all sorts of things to happen. Roving bandit groups, or guilds taking prisoners. Maybe you were caught in the mountains and are being pursued by orcs? You could even be in a completely different part of the world if you wanted (I mean, I did say that starting in Aerilon was just a suggestion). Let your imagination run wild, your story doesn't necessarily have to follow mine but they can always intersect.

Hi!!

So taking a look IC... is this like a freeroam RP where charries form separate groups or go solo and move from group to group?

Either or, there's freedom to do both.

Hi I don't know if you've hit your player cap, but I'm interested if there's still room.

I don't know if the cap still applies, I have a really hard time saying no. >.> Also, I haven't RPed in a large group in a very very long time so I'm just gonna say everyone's welcome to join. ;)

rasek-slambo-haleth-new-new-2.jpgrasek-slambo-new-haleth.jpg

CHARACTER INTRO//Little info for you other players

Vandriel, otherwise known as Van, was one of the top players in Sylaria before the recent troubles. The leaderboard is gone, and someone knows something because three leaderboard players were killed on day one by a mysterious figure and Van has been traveling incognito while trying to regain his skills as a former Level 38 Temporal aka your friendly neighborhood "portal wizard" who sometimes made spare coin teleporting guilds and raiding groups large distances across Sylaria with his magic.. Once able to transport himself and others through the fabric of Sylaria's space and time with his portals, he can barely create a coin sized portal today, and besides that he had never really needed to be good with a sword in the game and without his magic he was relying much more on stealth and espionage today.

"I was number 13 on the Top 25 Leaderboard, on the fringe of the top ten but my area of specialties were researching the secrets Sylaria offered and sometimes I spent days weeks accomplishing nothing but finding dead-ends while the 'Tenners' focused on EXP and wealth building. Well, they're starting to die now so I'm gonna lay low and try to figure this out because they're not all bad."

PLAYERS NEEDED: Van was going to have one friend who was a high level Top 10 (something like 8 or 9) on the leaderboards before everything went to shit, someone who is a possible target of the Assassin targeting the Leaderboard players. (It may end up being a common psychopath or we can work it into some greater conspiracy) so if someone wants to play VAN's BEST FRIEND. Feel free to talk about it :) I'm open to whatever.

Romance I can go either way, I write really well MxF but I feel like I could pull off MxM just never done it. For some reason I feel like Van has either in him. Either one wouldn't be a big part of his life yet though as he kind of pushes off romantic urges with his obsession with Sylaria. So ROMANTIC MUSE is open as well.

He will be investigating in the actual city of Aerilon at the start, but he usually avoids cities, trying to keep his eye on the local Leaderboard players (possibly the friend or the muse?)

I'm thinking Van unknowingly plays into the conspiracy and becomes one of the major suspects accidentally (trying to save one of them he is found at the scene of the crime after failing) maybe gets imprisoned or rescued by one of you guys? Someone risks their reputation to break him out, or another one is killed while he's imprisoned? Spitballing some ideas. If someone wants to join me on this "Murder of Leaderboard Players" Arc again feel free to talk about it and join me, it can be a minor arc, or something that is affecting the world on a deeper scale, heck, it can be NPCs taking their world back (because I pictured the Top 10 having set themselves up nicely before all this? If it's cool with Phoenix, like having kind of their own factions and areas of power across Sylaria that is now in a fragile state because any of them can be taken out at any time just like real rulers. Some of them arming army of noobs with promises of protection and wealth, some of them forcing noobs into slavery, some of them being noble and fighting for good, some just trying to survive like Van is...

What do you think Phoenix?

I don't know if it would be a good idea to have him caught at the scene of the crime. Crime scene investigation isn't really a thing in this world, so if they find you next to a body they're just going to assume you did it and the punishment for killing someone is death. :( Breaking him out from the stockade is a possibility but it won't be easy. It'll be guarded and the players no longer have the added benefit of being stronger than the NPCs. Maybe someone knows of a quest that leads in through a back tunnel that would allow them to get in and get out without being seen. They'd have to be quick, though, your sentence would be carried out on the very next morning (these things usually happen at dawn in movies and books for, I guess reasons >.> ).

This is a very nitty gritty kind of fantasy world. Like if A Song of Ice and Fire and the Lord of the Rings had a love child. That's pretty much what this is. And a bunch of stupid kids from 2021 are waking up in it. ;)

(Please refrain from gratuitous sex scenes or violence, though. This isn't really that kind of role play. >.> )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back