• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"I was a bit worried I'd keep you up." Ryan replied with a yawn. "Much as I enjoy this, it's very new to me. I know you've given up a great deal to be here. I will endeavor to make it worth the sacrifice for as long as you're here with me." Ryan opened his eyes again to drink in the sight of her smile. He craned his neck down to kiss her gently. "Lyla, this short time together has been... unreasonably happy. I have no idea how long you'll be able to stay with us but is there anything I can do for you while you are here?"

With Ryan...
"Hmm? I thought the plan was for you and the others to break camp and begin travelling south towards Nalia this morning." Lyla says. "What sort of things are you thinking of?"

With the others...
Zedradon's doctor's eye sees that Ryan's men - including Ganzin's bandits - are all reasonably fit and healthy. A few sport old wounds and scars from previous campaigns and battles, but they were evidently all treated properly before they could become infected.

Ysandre is unable to overhear anything of particular interest among the soldiers. As for her fellow exalts, Axtis, Catseye, Ganzin, Ailera and Zedradon are all up and outside, if she wants to speak to any of them.

Ryan tried to get his thoughts back in order after the last night's sleep. "What I was getting at was that we are leaving today... and last I recall your plan was to head home after negotiations with Feren. That was before what happened after we brought Ganzin in though, and we haven't spoken about it since. If you are still intending to head home, is there anything I can do for you before we part ways for a while?" Ryan leaned over to wrap both arms around Lyla in an embrace. "If nothing comes to mind, that's alright. I'm fine just committing these moments to memory. I do intend on coming back for you soon, after all."

Lyla smiles at Ryan while returning his embrace and looking into his eyes.

"There's nothing I can think of that I believe you could accomplish before you and your men set off." she replies softly. "I'll take your word for it that you plan to return to me. And if you and your men are looking for work when you do, I'll almost certainly be able to find something for you, and pay you well for it. But if you just want to share my bed or do anything else that lovers do, that's fine with me as well."

At this point, Ailera is wondering what she can do to help things out. She goes off, looking for Ryan and Ysandre to see if they have any suggestions on what she can be doing at this point to forward their cause.

At this point, Ailera is wondering what she can do to help things out. She goes off, looking for Ryan and Ysandre to see if they have any suggestions on what she can be doing at this point to forward their cause.
With Ryan cuddling up with Lyla in his tent, Ailera comes across Ysandre as the both of them wander the camp.

As loathe as Ryan and Lyla might be to leave the comfort of the tent, the two of them inevitably have to rise and get dressed, and prepare to begin their different journeys. While Ryan's men and Ganzin's bandits get to work dismantling their camp, Lyla learns of the Circle's predicament of not having a ship large enough to transport them and their army, and offers a solution.

"I own a few ships that trade along the Yellow River on my behalf. One of them, the Silver Mermaid, is due to arrive at Marita within a few days time to pick up new cargo. I'll send word to the captain to wait for you in Marita, and then take you south to Aberuthven. You won't all get cabins, and you might have to serve as security onboard the vessel during the journey, but you'll get where you need to go."

Once camp has been broken and everything packed up, the Circle and their men set off west, for Marita.

20th of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768, Afternoon
The chill of winter still hangs in the air as the Circle and their army approach the eastern walls of Marita. After being allowed into the city, the Solars find docked within the harbor a junk big enough to qualify as a Large Merchant Vessel, with a silver mermaid for a figurehead. All of them recognize the ship as the Silver Mermaid, the vessel Lyla offered to loan to the group.

Sailors dart back and forth across multiple gangplanks, loading supplies onto the Silver Mermaid. Overseeing the work is a musclebound, middle-aged man with tanned skin and a weather-beaten face. As the Circle approach the ship, he turns and looks at them, and a spark of recognition flashes across his face. He says a few words to another member of the crew - likely the first mate - who turns to watch over the loading efforts, while the first man walks towards the Circle, bowing in greeting when he gets to them. As he comes over, a sheathed Daiklave of Black Jade, with a basket hilt and a curved blade, is visible on his hip.

"Greetings. I am Oswin, captain of the Silver Mermaid. And you must be the people Lyla told me about. The ones who need transport to Aberuthven." he says.

Last edited:
"That's right. I'm Commander Ryan Shepherd of the Crimson Fangs. Anything we can do to get preparations wrapped up before we embark south?" Ryan offered a handshake as he stepped toward the captain.

Oswin clasps Ryan's hand with a firm grip. "You can help load stuff onto the ship, along with your own supplies." he says, gesturing towards a mass of crates and barrels close to the ship. "We bought extra for you and your men, besides cargoes we plan to sell in Aberuthven. Not to mention plenty of hammocks for you all."

"Thanks for the help on such short notice. Alright men, let's get to work so we can get under way quickly." Ryan wastes no time after shaking the captain's hand. he checks to see what cargo was left at the dock and starts hefting crates and rolling barrels into the hold. Behind him the rank and file would be expected to pitch in and get everything stowed away as directed by the crew.

Ryan expected a bit of discontent among the raiders, but he assured them the sooner the ship was sailing, the sooner many of them could put their feet up in a hammock and enjoy a light evening. Hopefully the seasickness would be kept to a minimum.

Though a few of Ganzin's raiders grumble about being reduced to dockworkers, they and the rest of Ryan's men all help out with the loading and stowing, before heading belowdecks to claim hammocks for themselves. By the beginning of the evening, the Silver Mermaid casts off from the harbor, and begins her journey to Aberuthven.

Leaving his helmsman in charge of steering the ship, Oswin approaches Ryan on the poop deck to continue the conversation they were having back on land. "In truth, this is more unusual than anything else. I've taken passengers on here before, but I've never done troop transportation." he says, looking down at the main deck. "Lyla must either really like you, or have taken a big payment from you in exchange for me doing this."

Axtis supervises the process of loading her friend Majherri onto the ship, smiling as the unicorn complains.

I don't like ships. They have a tendency to sink.

"It won't sink. We are quite safe. As if I would ever allow the ship to sink without coming to get you first." Axtis laughs at her friend's anxiety.

I still don't have to like it. My hooves belong on the ground.

"You sound like a sound like a silly mare."

Whatever. Just give me another apple, and we can call it even.

Axtis pulls out an apple and gives it to the finicky unicorn. "Here, you pig. Are you sure that you are not really a pig?"

Are you sure you don't want to get skewered by my horn?

She gives the stallion a playful tousle of the mane, then heads off to find the others.

Ailera doesn't know a thing about ships other than they go on the water and get you from one place to another. So once she gets onboard, she finds a place out of the way of the crew going about their business of getting supplies loaded and stowed away and looks out over the water to wait for them to set off on their way.

22nd of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768, Morning
The evening and the first day of the journey passes without incident. On the morning of the second day, as the ship approaches the mouth of the river leading south to Nalia and Aberuthven, Oswin approaches the Solars with news.

"We'll be going through our first checkpoint very soon." he says. "It's operated by Lookshy; two fortresses on both sides of the river, with a line of four towers between them, and a thick chain of solid steel connecting everything. If the people in the fortifications don't like the look of a ship, they can raise the chain and block off river travel in both directions."

Last edited:
Ryan turned to the Captain, figuring he'd ask the obvious questions. "What would make them not like the look of a ship? How close of a look do they generally take before making that call?"

Ozwin just shrugs his shoulders. "In practice they usually just check every ship that comes through. They'll question the captain about his business in the area and search the ship for any contraband. If they don't find any problems, they'll let the ship continue its journey."

Ryan nods, "Well then, I'll see to it that everyone knows to act natural. You have your story straight or do we need to go over it again?" The commander looks to Ozwin, giving him the chance to interrupt before heading below deck and informing everyone of what to expect.

"I'm travelling south to trade with Aberuthven. You, your companions and men are my hired help. Is that what you want me to say?" Ozwin asks in reply, having decided to keep things as close to the truth as he can, without outing the circle as Solars.

"That should work just fine." the mercenary replied with a smile. "We're just going to help out some people in dire need of relief. No point getting anxious about it. If they have a problem with that, it's bound to slow us down sooner or later. Still, it'd be nice if they decided not to make a nuisance of themselves. Anyway, let us take care of the rest."

Upon heading down below deck, Ryan sweeped his gaze about looking for Ganzin, Ailera, Tannis or any of the other Exalts that might be trying to pass the time on their trip. "Hey, we're coming upon the first checkpoint search. Make sure everyone knows to act natural and not to cop any attitude, alright? If they give us any grief about the artifacts remember our cover. 'It'd be pretty arrogant of us to call ourselves professionals without the means to get results.' If they want to make an issue of it, then it's their loss." The commander concluded with a smile. Even if things went sour, he knew enough about this lot to know they'd make it past the checkpoint one way or another.

The Silver Mermaid soon reaches the checkpoint. As Oswin described, it consists of two fortresses, one on each side of the river, and a line of four stone towers spread out on the river between them, all flying the banner of Lookshy. Each fortress has two cutter ships (treat as Large Yachts) anchored at a stone dock, and a catapult rests at the top of each of the four towers. Quill's eye soon identifies all the structures and ships as having been built after the founding of the Realm and Lookshy, judging from the architecture. However, he cannot tell when they were built beyond that.

As the Silver Mermaid approaches the line of towers, a thick iron chain rises up between them, blocking off the route. Oswin gives orders to drop the anchor and furl the sails as one of the cutters comes sailing over to pull up alongside the Silver Mermaid. A scale of marines in Lookshyan armor come aboard the larger ship, led by a man and a woman who are unmistakably Dragon-bloods, judging from their blue-green tinted skin and their Lamellar Armor and Daiklaves, all made of Black Jade.

"Masaru and his twin sister Arumi, both of Gens Teresu." Oswin says to any of the Solars gathered on the deck who care to listen, having evidently recognized the twins from previous voyages up this river, before he goes over to talk to them.

The twins are polite yet stiff in the manner of the professional soldier, and ask Oswin where he's going and what his intentions are. Oswin answers that he's sailing south to trade with Aberuthven on Lyla's orders, causing Masaru to raise an eyebrow; apparently Aberuthven has little in the way of tradeable goods, if his comment is anything to go by. Oswin shrugs and says he has his orders, and the Teresu twins don't press the matter, though Arumi then asks about the amount of muscle Oswin's bought with him, paying particular attention to those with Orichalcum weapons. Oswin answers that the Solars are all God-blooded like him - though not descended from the god of the Yellow River as he is - and that, in Ryan's words, 'it would be pretty arrogant of them to call themselves professionals without the means to get results'.

Masaru and Arumi seem to accept this, and then request that they and their men be allowed to search the ship. Oswin acquiesces, and the Lookshyans head down to the cargo hold to begin their checks.

Unnoticed by the Lookshyans, Ganzin looks at Arumi as if he finds something about her familiar. About a second later, his fists clench and his face contorts in an expression of pure burning rage, the outcaste Dragon-blood looking like he'd love nothing more than to beat Arumi into a pile of blood and ash.

Last edited:
Ailera sees the sudden change come over Ganzin and immediately walks over to his side and places a hand on his shoulder. "Easy now. Steady. Breathe in, breathe out. Now, can you tell me what is wrong without losing control of yourself?"

Ganzin visibly twitches as he feels Ailera's hand on his shoulder, but she does succeed in partially calming him down, at least for the time being. He takes a few breaths, and then looks at her.

"That Dragon-blood woman...she was one of the members of the Wyld Hunt that destroyed my village." he answers in a furious whisper.

Ryan looked to Ganzin, somewhat confused. Unlike Ailera, he wasn't quite familiar with the details of his past. There were a few pieces still rattling around in his head. They weren't always bandits if I recall... was she... somehow responsible for that? The commander remembered just how much of an impact terrestrial meddling had on his home country. Bringing in invaders from another land with them to subjugate a god, regardless of what misery they left in their wake.

A smile merely spread across his face. Well, if he's gonna beat her ass we'll have to end it quick before the ship catches on fire. Gods, then there's the fort to deal with too...

Around that moment was when Ailera stepped up, and their conversation put the confirming piece in place. He gave Ganzin a pat on the back. "I can't in good conscience make you hold back, but perhaps consider timing and position on this one. If needed, we can try an approach from a less... vulnerable spot. Assuming we get past this checkpoint." Ryan offered in a whisper, understanding what that kind of pain can drive someone to do.

If we're gonna fight her, we're gonna win dammit.

Last edited:
Ganzin blinks in surprise at Ryan's words, having not expected the Dawn Caste to be so...amenable, for lack of a better word.

"It sounds like you're suggesting an alternative to me going down into the hold and trying to bisect her with my guandao." he says in a whisper, his mouth turning up in a smile. "Am I right?"

Axtis calmly watches as Ganzin reaches his near meltdown, having no clue as to what might be on his mind, especially since she is far enough away from the conversation to completely miss the details. But, if there is going to be a battle coming up, she is ready to defend herself and this ship that she's on, to save the lives of the soldiers and crew, and especially her unicorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back