• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Wrapping his hand around Ysandre's, Quill takes great joy in this contact. However brief it is.
And then he opens up the channels of his essence, feeling it flooding the weapon, and to some degree, Ysandre, as it seems to deepen their bond, and as he does, his Caste mark flows on his brow, and he is sheathed in a golden light.

Spending 15m on Wake the Sleeper, and 10m on the Excellency.
13 suxxes

That means that it unlocks 9 Evocations

Last edited:
Ryan observed with a smile as he took Lyla's hand in his, happy his friend was being recognized for his efforts. He was certainly eager to see what would happen as Quill empowered another artifact. When he has the time and essence, I'll have to explore my own Daiklave's power.

As Quill works his magic on the various Artifacts, Ailera watches silently. What he is doing is far beyond her ability, but that's ok. Its not like he can steal things from plain sight the way she can. Each of us have such amazing powers. It is truly amazing to me that so many Chosen of the Sun have come together to try and place Ysandre back on the throne. <snort> Our enemies have no idea what is coming for them.

Lyla looks down and raises an eyebrow as Ryan takes hold of her hand, but she makes no attempt to pull it away, at least not for now. As far as Ryan knows, she still hasn't decided how she's going to break the news of their "relationship" to the others, and vice versa.

Still, she keeps hold of his hand as she speaks up. "So. Shall we go and formalize the agreement with Feren now, and discuss other things later? That's the main reason I came here, after all."

Ryan nodded, "Agreed, let's go ahead and get this matter settled. We do have other matters to tend to, after all."

Accompanied by Lyla and Attimus, the five Solars set off towards Feren Mine. Though Lyla is greeted with some amount of hostility from both the mine's guards and the people of the village, no-one tries anything, and the group is able to travel to Feren's Office unmolested. Once there, a formal agreement between Lyla and Feren, based around the terms Ryan, Quill, Ysandre and Catseye bought to the two parties, is drawn up and put to parchment. The process is delayed by a little bit of haggling between the two over specific terms of the agreement, each seeking to maximize their gains from it, but eventually the agreement is signed, and both Lyla and Quill receive a copy for their own private records.

With business concluded, what do the five of you wish to do now?

Ailera is also ready to guide the party to meet with the bandit leader to let Ysandre negotiate with him.

Ryan is waiting to tend to the next point of business, whether it's Lyla's financing Ysandre's rebellion or assimilating the bandits into their ranks.

With Quill...
Quill first asks Lyla about the broken Orichalcum bracer, but while she agrees that the Wyld Hunt could have battled a Solar nearby centuries ago, she knows nothing about any such battle, let alone any of the artifacts used by the participants.

With that, Quill decides to remain at the mine for a bit longer to ask Feren what he knows, without giving away that he's a Solar. The mine owner doesn't ask too many questions, but he is about as useful as Lyla in regard to knowledge of the broken Orichalcum bracer. Still, he gives Quill permission to search the mine and the surrounding area if he so wishes, as thanks for the role he and the other Solars played in sorting things out between him and Lyla.

After telling Quill of this, he then gives a little insight of his own. "If such a battle did take place, and the Shogunate forces managed to shatter one of the Solar's bracers, I'd have thought that they'd take the remains with them, so that they could either use the Orichalcum for their own ends, or seal it away to prevent it being used by the next Solar."

With the others...
While Ailera leads the other three Solars to Ganzin's camp, Lyla and Attimus opt to head back to Ryan's camp and wait for the negotiations to conclude.

The four Solars come to the bandit camp's gates to find them closed. Both of the bandits in the gate towers recognize Ailera however, and one of them leaves to fetch Ganzin. It isn't long before the leader of the bandits appears in one of the watchtowers and looks down at the four Solars, his expression changing to a cocky grin once he sees the Night Caste.

"Was beginning to wonder when you'd come back." he says to her. "I take it these are the Solars and queen you told me about two days ago?"

Feeling frustrated, Quill will thank Feren, and go outside to explore. This is more to clear his mind than anything else, but he will take note of his surroundings.

Ryan nodded politely to Ganzin, maintaining his discipline despite his disgust for their occupation. "That's correct. I am Commander Ryan Shepherd of the Crimson Fangs. Mind if I take a look around to get an impression of where your fighters are in their training?" Assuming he was unimpeded, he'd elevate his sense of sight and take a quick glance over the layout of their camp. Given his bias, his expectation for discipline and general competence was very low. Do I really have time to whip these maggots into a worthy fighting force?

[Activating Keen Sight Technique for personal motes]

With Quill...
The village is largely the same as it was when Ysandre and Catseye visited it two days ago; quiet and with few people currently about. Quill guesses that most of them are currently working away in the mine.

With the others...
Ganzin shrugs. "Go ahead. Though I don't know what you expect to find. I don't know what your friend's told you about us, but we're not exactly soldiers, marching about and massing into formations on open plains. We're more like raiders, popping up out of nowhere and taking out our enemies before they realize what's going on, and then running away with our loot afterwards."

He gives an order and the gates are pulled open, before he takes out a small coinpurse and tosses it to Ailera, grinning at her again. "You claimed that the information you had to offer me was valuable, and you know what? I agree with you."

With the coinpurse Ganzin has given her, Ailera now has Resources 1. Though it's more a lump sum rather than a source of income; a single Resources 1 purchase will drop Ailera back to Resources 0

Looking inside the camp, Ryan will see that it is structured somewhat haphazardly, with Ganzin's large tent at the centre. Looking at the bandits, Ryan's military eye soon gets the impression that, while the bandits likely know how to use their shortswords and fight as individuals, and could give a good account of themselves if they were able to ambush or overwhelm their foes, they lack the stomach and discipline for prolonged fights.

Last edited:
Ryan turned back to their Dragon-Blooded leader, having seen all he needed to. "It is as I expected then. My understanding is that your 'raiders' prey on the weak and run at the first sign of competent resistance. This is not acceptable for our goals or needs." Ryan unsheathed his orichalcum blade and planted it in the ground, hands resting on the pommel. It seemed a waste to use it as a prop, but he needed to get this point across.

"If you all truly wish to be pardoned and spared the executioner's blade then you have a couple of options. You may seek favor from Ysandre or another kingdom and hope they find you useful, sure. However, if you chose to band with me and the Crimson Fangs, I won't lie, your lives will be hell for some time. I will work each and every one of you out of your bad habits and refine any impurities from your hearts and your steel. To be one of us is to become a warrior without peer. By our sweat, grit, and unity we can topple anything and anyone. The glory of your deeds would be etched into the history of this earth, that none shall forget your mettle and mastery. Your prize shall thusly be far greater than any meager scrapings you've achieved thus far. So the question you all should be asking yourselves is this... Are you satisfied with this pathetic squalor? Living in shame, clawing for scraps, and never trusting the man or woman next to you? Does your very soul not yearn for more? If you have the ambition to attain victory, conquest, over the earth, then I will forge you into an army of legends. The very shades and myths and writhe in the cracks of forgotten history will learn to cower and flee from you." Ryan paused, letting his words settle. "I will not make this offer again, so if you wish for the life of a champion then come forward and kneel."

[I'm going for a presence-based inspire action to get people to step forward and volunteer, while Ryan is leaning on appearance and the Daiklave to put weight behind his words I also expect this to be a Charisma-based roll. Spending a wp for 1 bonus success. 4m for the excellency since Tiger's Dread Symmetry gives a bonus die. 6 successes before any appearance modifier, assuming it's only 1 point stunt.]

The mood soon begins to turn ugly following Ryan's initial words, the bandits close enough to hear unhappy at his insinuation that they only attack those who can't fight back. As Ryan continues speaking however, many of them appear interested in his offer, or at least the promise of glory and and the implication of a better life should they take it. Even Ganzin seems interested, as he rests the pommel of his guandao against the ground and listens to Ryan, before giving his reply.

"I lead my people into fights that I know we can win with minimal losses. I'd have thought that would be the mark of a competent leader." he says, giving the Dawn Caste a wry smirk. "Still, I'll admit that your offer does sound interesting, at least in what we can gain from it. But that said, when I met with your friend two days ago..." he nods towards Ailera, "...I was under the impression that me and my people would be offered the chance to serve the queen in retaking her throne, rather than be asked to join you and your band of mercenaries."

"Don't get me wrong." he then says. "I'm certainly interested, and I might even be willing to serve under you. But I'm also a bit curious; how exactly do you plan to make use of us? Do you intend to train us to fight in ranks alongside your men?"

Ganzin has a resolve of 4, while the bandits listening all have less than that. Impassioned, they're all willing to at the very least hear Ryan and Ysandre out, and some of the mortal bandits will choose to join the Crimson Fangs if Ganzin isn't convinced to do so himself or support Ysandre .

At Ganzin's words, Ysandre pulls back the hood of her cloak and takes a step forward to stand beside Ryan. "You do have that chance, Ganzin," she says and by her demeanour none can doubt that she is indeed the queen Aliera mentioned. "And should you take it, you will answer to Commander Shepherd in all military matters. That said," she adds, "I am sure that the battles before us will require scouts and outriders as well as knights and infantrymen."

In reply to the anger directed at Ryan he responded with his rebuke boldly. "If you or your men feel any sting from my words it is because of your own dissatisfaction with your methods. I will see to it that each man will be able to lead a life of dignity without reproach. What I have to offer is the chance to make your wealth by setting the world right and winning the hearts of good, honest people. People like I'm sure you all were before this life claimed you."

When Ysandre added her endorsement, Ryan added with a nod. "Understand that our mission as a company extends beyond just Nalia. There are many brutes and beasts that will feel the weight of your heels upon them. What we will accomplish there is but the beginning of your legend, our story. There is plenty of room for infantry, cavalry, archers, scouts, and the like. Ultimately your paths will be laid bare by your individual talents."

Ganzin seems happy at the news that he and his people can serve as scouts and outriders. "I didn't think we'd be much use in a shieldwall. And we've already gotten a lot of practice at ambushes and sneaking around." he jokes. "Still, I've just got one more problem, if you'll hear me out. Ryan, you say that you'll be able to lead us to the kind of glory only spoken about in legends. To me, those are big words from someone I've never seen fight before, even if you are a Solar, and I'm not gonna believe them without proof that you can back them up, if you get my meaning."

He is silent for a few seconds as if trying to build up the suspense, before he answers. "What do you say to a little duel, Ryan? You and me, one on one, your Daiklave against my guandao of Red Jade. If you win, my people and I will join you. If I win, we won't. Not you, at any rate."

Ryan grins as he lifts his Daiklave from the ground, "Very well. Are you sure you want to fight in the middle of your camp, though?"

Ganzin gives the Dawn Caste a grin of his own. "There's a large clearing in the nearby forest. I'll lead you there."

Both Ryan and Ganzin face one another from across a short distance, within a large, grass-covered clearing surrounded by both a crowd of Ganzin's bandits and a load of trees. Ysandre, Ailera and Catseye are stood off to one side, out of the way of the duel, while Loban, acting in the capacity of a referee, stands between the two men.

"I'll say this." Ganzin says to Ryan, gripping his guandao with both hands, grinning with excitement at the imminent duel. "I've always wanted to fight a Solar."

Loban signals for the fight to start, and immediately runs for the safety of the crowd, as Ganzin charges forward, towards Ryan.

[Roll Join Battle, Rykon Rykon ]

With Quill...
The village is largely the same as it was when Ysandre and Catseye visited it two days ago; quiet and with few people currently about. Quill guesses that most of them are currently working away in the mine.

Quill was a learned man, and an accomplished scavenger hunter. He knew well the frustration of not always finding what he sought, but this was when he was a mortal. He was now a Solar, and his ability to find information, study it, and make assumptions from it, has grown much greater. And he has bested the 28 riddles set before him by those mysterious monks, who gave him Sun's Brush as a reward. He WILL NOT be held back from finding that broken Artifact.

And so, he turns his gaze across the area once more, but this time, he lets his essence roil within him, and enhance his faculties. If he was to show the others his worth, and to bring himself one step closer to forging the crown he envisioned for Ysandre, he had to make the effort count. And so he sought out any and all clues as to where there might be a hidden entrance to a crypt where the dead Solar was buried. It was likely that the Wyld Hunt had placated the Sola'rs spirit, if only to prevent it from rising as a hungry ghost, and so,it was likely that the remains of his Artifact was buried with him.

Spending 6m on Truth-Rendering Gaze, and 10 motes on Excellency. (Assuming a 1-die stunt)
This gives me 22 dice on the roll, and is a read intentions action to find traces of any Shogunate-era structure or building that might serve as a resting place for the Solar.

13 successes

Quill's investigations eventually lead him away from Feren mine, and into a small glade hidden within the surrounding forest, far away from the site of Ganzin and Ryan's duel. Within the glade is what appears to be a small stone mausoleum, with a set of bronze double-doors.

The doors are unlocked, presumably by a previous grave robber, and if Quill were to step through them, he would see that the building is but the entrance to the Solar's resting place, with an unlit stone staircase descending down into the earth. Quill cannot see the end of the staircase through the darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back