• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
She nods, but turns to Quill by her side, "what do you say?"

Quill was busy designing a perfect brooch with the Sapphires he wanted to buy, one that will highlight Ysandre's beauty. In fact, his mind wandered and he started imagining an Artifact brooch, one that will enhance her radiance, so much so, that it took a while longer for him to realize what was being said, and nearly causing him to jump out of his skin when the words finally sunk in. "You... You told them about me? Do you realize that the wrong word at the wrong place could spell disaster?" But even as he said it, the rest of the sentences sunk in, and he felt elated that his friend considered his knowledge valuable. Wiping his mouth, after taking another bite of the food, mainly to give himself time to settle he said "I would be interested in meeting these acquaintances of yours, but before we do, I do have a business to attend to, and it might prove useful as well to our goal."

Ryan nodded at Quill's question. "I didn't do so until I was alone with them with a high degree of confidence in their cooperation and, of course, I withheld information necessary to identify either of you."

After hearing of their business he raised a hand to his chin then looked to Ysandre. Assuming he might be interrupting other activities he merely asked directly. "Any further questions before I go to invite them to meet tonight?"

With Ailera...
"Yes, I heard that you were looking for information on Nalia. Including how certain people here would feel if princess Ysandre were to take power there." replies the mysterious woman as she walks around the table to take the seat opposite Ailera. Upon doing so, she takes out a coinpurse that Ailera immediately recognizes as hers, and which is no longer on her person, but was just pickpocketed from her.

The mysterious woman opens up the coinpurse, takes out some of the contents and pockets them, before closing it and handing it back to Ailera, who finds that it is about half as full as it was earlier.

"Your payment is fair." says the woman with a smile, again speaking in that almost silk-like voice. "My name is Shi-vash, and as my subordiante might have told you earlier, I am a dealer in information, alongside my other...business ventures."

Last edited:
Ailera slips her coinpurse back into her belt with a shake of the head. Damn. That was smooth. "Well met, Shi-vash. I am Ailera. Yes, indeed I have been making inquiries. What can you tell me of the major parties involved? I am not from this region, so many of the important names are just words to me."

Shi-vash cocks her head to the side after hearing Ailera's words. "The major parties? Those would be the present ruler of Nalia, King Quincel, and his sister, Princess Ysandre. Both of them, as well as their ancestors, are said to be descended from the Maiden of Serenity herself, and both of them are claimants to the Nalian throne. Though of course, Quincel has been more successful in that regard so far."

Ailera does her best to take in the names and titles and commit them to memory, then asks, "Who would most benefit from their removal from contention to the throne? Which nobles would be most adversely affected?"

Epiphany Epiphany

Piracy and privateering have never been big in the East compared to in the West, but with the long and vast rivers of the Scavenger Lands, it is still a valid and profitable lifestyle choice.

One such privateer ship is currently docked in the harbour of Marita. It is a river-built junk large enough to support a crew of about 100, although many of them are currently off the ship, taking advantage of their current location to get drunk, drugged, laid, or otherwise spend their pay. A flag bearing an image of a cerulean-colored river dragon hangs limply at the bottom of the mast, and on each side of the ship near the front is a plaque bearing the words "RESPLENDENT DOLPHIN OF SPARKLING WATERS"

Within one of the ship's few cabins, little more than a tiny room half taken up by a bed, Catseye Kishan is passing the time when she hears a knock on the cabin door, which then opens to reveal Mara, the captain of the ship and its crew.

"Hey. You got a few minutes? I'd like to talk to you about something." she says.

With Ailera...
"Within this city, there are few who would be affected in terms of money, power and status if Ysandre were to take power from Quincel." says Shi-vash. "But that isn't to say that no-one would complain. There are those who have bought into the fiction that those chosen by the Incarnae are in fact hosts to demons, and would consider the thought of one of the so-called Anathema ruling a country abhorrent."

Ailera laughs. "With all the rumors of Anathama about, you'd think they far outnumber the Dragon Blooded from all the sightings. If someone's milk cow goes dry, superstitious villagers blame the demon-Solars. Another person's aged great grandmother dies, and suddenly its the work of Anathama! Ooooh, scary!" She laughs again. "So, besides the scare tactics of Solars being everywhere, who are the ones being the loudest of spreading these rumors? I would bet the rest of my coin that they are the ones that actually came up with this story, and are trying to smear Ysandre's name."

"Certainly no-one in Marita." replies Shi-vash "The ones most responsible for spreading such rumours would be Quincel, and the Immaculate monks around Nalia. Although I should probably tell you that they weren't the ones who started the rumours. That would be Ysandre herself...when she exalted as a Solar after being attacked by assassins sent by her brother."

Ailera raises up an eyebrow. "She really is a Solar? How remarkable!" She pauses for a moment, then nods to herself. Things were starting to make more sense. "I believe I have taken up enough of your time with my questions. Thank you for seeing me. I wish you good fortune in your future endeavors."

With that, she rises up from her seat and offers up the other woman a polite bow before making her way to the stairs going up. As she climbs the stairs, her thoughts are all about Ryan. It would seem that Anathama are just popping out of the woodwork. I wonder if he is a Solar, or one of the Moon touched? Does he suspect that I am also a Solar? Hmmm. How could he? Its not like I displayed any signs of my Exaltation in our encounter.
Sensory Acuity Prana active for the scene, giving me double 9's on my rolls.
6 banked Successes for Stealth or Larceny rolls from Living Shadow Preparedness

Essence: 1
Personal: 13 / 8
Peripheral: 33 (23)
Committed: 10
Willpower: 7

Join Battle: 6 +3 Successes

Natural Soak: 2 (+3)
Armored Soak: 5
Total Soak: 7 (+3)

Parry: 6
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 3
Guile: 4

Health Levels
[ ] 0
[ ][ ] -1
[ ][ ] -2
[ ] -4
[ ] I

The knock is polite but only one person would come in without waiting for an answer. On a ship, privacy is a scarce resource, which makes it all the more precious. But then, everything on board is under the captain's oversight. And so Catseye minds the interruption less. She even closes an ancient text she'd picked up at their last port, her mind briefly dazzled by the complex astrological theories contained within.

Catseye focuses on Mara a moment later, shifting all of her attention to the other woman. She ventures a slight smile and gestures to the other half of her tiny bed, if the Captain's inclined to sit. "For you, Captain, I always have a few minutes." With narrowed eyes, the Eclipse studies the Water-Aspected and observes, "You look like you've got something on your mind. Maybe I can help."

Ryan remains seated as Quill makes his exit to meet with his contact. He turns to Ysandre with a slight shrug. "Well on second thought, perhaps it would be best if I stayed with you as a bodyguard for now. It's probably not necessary, but it'll serve as a deterrent for the less scrupulous ruffians around this city. While I'm here though, there's something I've been meaning to ask you if you'll permit me."

With Catseye...
Mara gives the Eclipse caste a smile as she sits down on the bed next to her. "A man talked to me about an offer of work earlier today. He's a mercenary captain who plans to support a claimant to the throne of Nalia, a kingdom south of here, and he thought that we - that is, me, you and the rest of the crew - could be of use to him and said claimant in that endeavour."

She then clears her throat. "But that's not the reason I've come to you about this. The mercenary captain told me he has a friend - an expert in gems and Shogunate history - who could help us all line our pockets beyond what we'd earn helping his claimant. And said friend...is another Solar, like you.

With Quill...
As evening starts to fall, Quill makes his way into the Decadence district, and towards the hookah bar that his contact told him about. He soon reaches the door and goes through it, entering a small lobby of sorts, within which he can smell a faint scent of incense, and hear the muffled sounds of multiple conversations coming from deeper inside the building.

He is greeted by an elderly man with a long grey beard, scarlet robes and a scarlet turban, who bows and offers greetings, and then asks what he can help the Twilight caste with. His eyes light up in recognition when Quill gives him a physical description of his contact, and his demeanour becomes friendlier and more deferential.

"Kahoda Nayar? He arrived not long ago, and told me that you might be coming here to meet with him. If you come with me, I can show you where he is."

With Ailera...
"Same to you, whatever they may be." replies Shi-vash with a nod and a smile, as she watches Ailera leave. Moments later, the room is seemingly empty again.

Catseye frowns in thought, turning over the name. "Nalia. Yes, it's had some political turmoil recently, as memory serves. A claimant to the throne you say?" The Eclipse's attention shifts from her recollection to focus fully on the Water Aspect. "I think...Captain, it's one thing to sign up for work. It's another to take sides in a civil war. And that's where this is going. If we back this claimant, we'd better come out on top. You know my powers of Sorcery; I can do much, on their behalf, on yours. But this is risky."

She smirks slightly as Mara shifts to a more personal note. At least until she names the nature of this 'friend'. A shiver of shock runs down her spine at the revelation. Catseye's telltale golden eyes open wide and she leans forward slightly, palms on her knees. "Another Solar? I've never met another Solar." Surprised, she once more gains enough presence of mind to smile faintly at the Dragon-Blooded. "And once again, Captain, I'm appreciative of how...understanding you are. I don't know if this other Solar is a friend or obstacle. But if he is someone like me...then I guess it's a good thing you have me with you."

"And I am, Captain." She reaches out and puts a hand over the top of Mara's, squeezing slightly with evident affection. "With you. Say the word and I'll carry it out."

Her power had already grown to rival Dragon-Blooded adepts with decades of experience. Working for a privateer wasn't exactly what Catseye had in mind for a long-term future but it'd been useful enough, making connections with a few spirits up and down the river. And in that time, she'd grown fond of the other woman. Whoever this other Solar was, Catseye's loyalties lay with those who'd proven themselves her friend.

Mara returns Catseye's smile, and looks pleasantly surprised when she feels the other woman take her hand. "You know me. I've never really been one for following Immaculate dogma, even before I met you and found out what you were. Not to mention that according to my source, the claimant is a Solar herself."

She goes quiet, to allow Catseye to take in this news, before speaking again. "I haven't committed us to the cause quite yet, but I'm certainly interested in the offer. If worst comes to worst and our claimant loses, we can escape downriver with whatever loot we can salvage. But if she wins and becomes queen, I have a feeling this will end up being lucrative for all of us." After saying this, she closes her eyes and looks away with an almost blissful expression. If Catseye knows Mara, the Dragon-blooded is most likely thinking of the kind of debauchery she could get up to with their earnings from the job.

"Go ahead," Ysandre replies. She makes no outward sign of it, but in her mind she is turning over what Ryan's reasoning for offering to act as her bodyguard may be. Though he has not yet seen her fight, surely he is able to recognise a fellow warrior.

"I am curious what your plans are after you've won, short term and long term. You don't strike me as one of shallow thought." Ryan said bluntly, trying to gauge the underlying motivation of his prospective employer.

Assuming that there is nothing barring her way out, Ailera will head up to the street, keeping her eye out for trouble and checking her backtrail to see if she is being followed. It is not until she is away from the meeting point and back on the busier streets that she allows herself to lower her guard. I have a strong suspicion that the spooky lady in the basement is some sort of Exalt. No telling what she might be capable of.

With the information of more and more Solar Exalted showing up in the area, Ailera is wondering what might be drawing so many of them here.

"Two Solars..."

Catseye shakes her head, still smiling, still troubled. "Well, you're right about the potential for profit. Being in the pocket of a queen could be handy for us." And handy for me. It's going to take more than Lookshy's muscle to dislodge the Mask from Thorns.

The Eclipse grins at Water-Aspect's evident daydreaming, likely of dreams far more base than her own. "Come on then. Perhaps we should take a look for ourselves at what sort of person, or people, they are."

Quill thanks the man, and follows him to the table where Kahoda was already seated. He heartily shakes his new friend's hand and then orders a mug of coffee and a hookah to relax and enjoy.
"Ah, my friend, I am so glad we can meet again. Your wares, and manners, are impeccable, as always."

With Ailera...
Ailera is able to get back to street level without any problems. When she exits the building, the spiders, as well as the shady man who led her here, are nowhere to be seen.

What does she do now?

With Catseye...
Mara nods in agreement. "I originally came here to see if you'd be up for joining me when I go to meet with them. And also to ask if we should keep your own nature as a Solar secret, or let the others know."

With Quill...
Kahoda already has his own mug of coffee, and he takes a puff from the hookah soon after it's delivered to the table. Perhaps it's just the drugs in the device, but he seems much more relaxed than he was earlier.

"Likewise. It is good to meet another member of the Contemplation." he says quietly, not wanting to risk being overheard by any of his fellow customers. When he next speaks, his voice is louder and clearer. "So, last time we talked, you wished to buy some sapphires from me? May I ask what you want them for?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back