• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Quill was silent for most of the trip to camp. He saw the admiration there men had for Ryan, and then finding out that they knew of his Exaltation, and still followed him, gave him hope. But he was still unsure of Ysandre. Clearly she was an Exalt, or maybe had some spirit blood, to be able to wield a daiklaive, but she kept that secret too close for him to unravel, for now.
He was hungry by the time they were offered food, but he also knew that he needed to show that he can be useful, and so, he spoke up "Ryan, would you mind if I helped Sergeant Tannis, and we could come up together with a map of our location? I have been traveling quite a bit searching for materials, and to deliver my services to some clients, and might be of help."

As Zen'th and Opal Child sit down on a large log and begin eating their stew, Sergeant Tannis politely waves off Quill's offer. "No need for that." he says, before addressing Ryan. "We've kept note of our route since we started tracking you. We're about three days march northwest of Marita. That's the nearest city, though there are a couple of villages scattered around the area."

Ryan lets out a long sigh. "Well, figures we're quite a ways from home. Let's head for Marita in the morning and figure out where to go from there. I'll need to get us a new paying client here soon."

Quill doesn't argue with the sergeant about not including him, but he figures now is a good chance to show some of his worth. Considering their supposed location, he tries to see whether he can come up with a reasonable route, and places to resupply easily, or any useful info about the area. As his mind is working, he grabs a plate with food, and starts eating. Meanwhile, he also picks up a stick, and starts drawing on the ground with it.

Spending 6 motes on Truth-Rendering Gaze

4 successes.

If it exceeds the difficulty, then Ryan, or whomever makes the Survival check gets 1 (Essence) extra non-Charm bonus die.

Quill's knowledge of the area is largely centered around gem deposits and the Shogunate, but he is able to recall a number of highways, settlements and supply posts that were once used by the armies of the Shogunate. Of course, many of these places will have been claimed by either the Great Contagion, the Wyld or nature by now, but there is still information Quill can provide that will aid the group while travelling.

At first I wasn't sure what to do with the roll, since Quill's character sheet indicated his knowledge seemed to be centered around the Shogunate. But I've decided to give the benefit of the doubt, and factor this into what information Quill can contribute. So consider the roll a success.

Also, is Quill using personal or peripheral essence?

Ryan would stay up for a time, swapping the usual campfire stories with his new guests and some of his soldiers. Eventually, he would call it a night if there was no other business to address and look for a place to rest until sunrise. Tomorrow's plans were to set out for Marita in order to resupply.

Zen'th and Opal Child both stay up with Ryan that evening, and inform the others of their respective castes. Zen'th talks freely about his past, including his life in Chiaroscuro, his love for his sister and his quest to find her. Opal Child is far less forthcoming about her past, however, and all that she tells the others is that following her exaltation, she spent most of her time fleeing the Wyld Hunt and like-minded individuals, trained under a former assassin of House Iselsi for a while, and has been travelling around dishing out rough justice to the corrupt and crooked ever since. Eventually, they too go to sleep for the night.

1st of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768

By the early hours of the morning, Ryan's men have broken camp and are preparing to set off towards Marita. Zen'th and Opal Child have both agreed to accompany the others there, but at present they plan to leave upon reaching the city; Zen'th wants to continue searching for his sister, while Opal Child has no inclination to support either Ryan or Ysandre, seeing their respective plans to reclaim their homelands as mere power squabbles, rather than conflicts of good vs evil, justice vs corruption, and so on.

Ryan merely responded to the pair with a shrug. "You're not obligated to follow. I understand. I have my business, you have yours. I wish you the best of luck."

Quill makes it clear that he intends to go with them, at least till Marita. Safety in numbers, and he would be interested in hearing more about Ryan and Ysandre's respective stories.

4th of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768

After three days of travelling, the Solars and Ryan's mercenaries are making their way up a small hill one afternoon. When they reach the crest of it, they finally lay eyes on Marita. It's a moderately-sized city located on the bank of the Yellow River, surrounded on its landed sides by high stone walls dotted by towers. From your elevated position, you can see what appears to be a large palace within the city, but Marita otherwise looks completely unremarkable.

Zen'th and Opal Child say their goodbyes to the group and begin to set off towards a great gate in the city's walls, currently open to admit traders and other travelers to the city.

What do you do?

"Do either of you have contacts in the city?" Ysandre asks the remaining solars, a look of concern on her face.

"I am sure i can find a contact in the city" said Quill, his face filled with happiness, having reached a place of civilization. "Anything in particular you have need of? or looking for?"

"Information about my homeland. Nalia," she clarifies with a note of nostalgia in her voice. "I've been away for too long."

"I will do my best to find such information, though it will likely be merchant gossip, and rumors. So I would be cautious to put all my stock on such info, but it might give you enough to work on." Said Quill, and then turns to Ryan "Anything I can find out for you and your men?"

"I just need to find paying work for my troops, and possibly recruit more." Ryan said with a tired sigh. "It's going to be awhile before I have the means to fight back the all the petty lordlings squabbling over my homeland."

Does Quill want to head into the city and see what he can find out? Do any of the other Solars wish to accompany him?

Quill and Ysandre set off towards the city gate that Zen'th and Opal Child went through earlier. The other two Solars have gone inside the city by now, but as you approach, you see a thin trickle of people passing through the gate, on the front of which is displayed the city crest of Marita; a kite-shaped stylized image of a river, clearly meant to capitalize on the city's status as the Council of the Concordat's location, for whatever that's worth.

A pair of guards, both wearing reinforced buff jackets and carrying halberds, briefly stop each of the travellers entering the city, exchanging a few words and questions and looking the people over, before letting them go on their way. Quill and Ysandre both join the small queue, and slowly move towards the gate.

Quill is looking forward to entering the city and unconcerned he waits patiently for his turn, sure that there is no reason for the guards to stop them.

It doesn't take long for both Quill and Ysandre to reach the gates, at which point one of the guards holds up a palm, bidding them both to stop.

"Greetings, travelers. What brings the two of you to the city of Marita today?" he asks politely, albeit stiffly, as if he doesn't want to appear too familiar. His eyes and those of his colleague look the pair of you over, taking note of the sheathed Joy on Ysandre's person, but making no comment.

"Greetings, we have travled far, from Great Forks, to visit your fair city, enjoy its culture, and perhaps conduct some business. My name is Quill, and I am a trader in precious stones, and jewelry, and this here is my friend, that helps guard my back during this trip here." He said pointing at Ysandre.

"A jeweler by trade, are you? You'll want to go to the Market District, near the harbor. You'll find plenty of other merchants and traders there, including those of stones and jewellery." the guard says to Quill.

He gives Ysandre another glance as Quill points to her, before he turns his attention back to the Twilight caste. "An anathema bodyguard, eh?" he asks quietly, though from his tone it's clear that he considers her a particularly impressive and exotic slave, rather than a monster to be put down. "A friendly word of advice - steer clear of Scarlet Tiger. He's the local Immaculate Order Vartabed for this region, and he's very passionate about spreading the Immaculate Philosophy across the Scavenger Lands, even for a Fire Aspect. If he finds out that she's here and what she is, he'll go out of his way to cause trouble."

Last edited:
"Thank you for your directions" Said Quill with a flourish and a bow as the guard directed him to the Market District, but his flourish turned into a shake of his head at the guard's words at Ysandre.

"I am sure we have no desire to have any ill dealings with the Immaculate Order, humble people as we are, but while I greatly appreciate your sentiment, and warning, as a bit of a scholar, I can tell you that I have seen even some of the Dragon-Blooded carrying the weapons of their vanquished foes, and not everyone who carries one is automatically one of the Anathema. Though I wish I was able to have a chance to wield such a mighty weapon, and plumb it for its secrets."

"...ah." replies the guard, with a slight look of embarrassment at having his ignorance called out. "In truth, I was always taught that those kinds of weapons - or 'demon gold' as it was referred to - were the domain of the Anathema. Well, it really doesn't matter to me what she is, though I'd still be wary of Scarlet Tiger if I were her. He and his monks might not immediately peg her as an Anathema, but they'll certainly take an interest in her once they see that sword."

The guard and his colleague then glance at the group of people gathering behind Quill and Ysandre to await entry into the city, before looking back at the two Solars. "Is there anything else you need to know? Or will you be on your way now?"

Dipping his head slightly, Quill tells him "That is all, and I hope your day goes well." And heads towards the market.

After they have entered, he does tell Ysandre "It seems it would be wise if you could hide your weapon. I do not know about you, but if this Scarlet Tiger is an Immaculate adherent, I'd rather not draw his attention." But the way he said it seemed to indicate that this isn't due to fear, but more for caution, as if to say that he doesn't want to confront him for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back