• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With the upcoming arrival of the next ship, Ailera decided to try to slip into the fortress during the chaos of the ship inspection, disguised as a member of the guards. Using her Infinite Resplendence Amulet, she changes her clothes to match the uniforms of the guards, then with her Charm Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise, she will add to her disguise by changing her gender so she won't be accidently recognized by someone. Then, Ailera will bet that the guards on the fortress will be looking at the incoming ship and will not be as focused on looking elsewhere, so with her other Charm of Easily Overlooked Presence Method to get closer to the ship and blend into the guards searching the vessel, then slip into the fortress and snoop around.

With the focus of the guards on the approaching ship, Ailera is able to approach the walls, slip over them and enter the fort without being seen. Once inside, no-one gives her a second glance.

Ailera finds herself inside a large courtyard paved with stone, that contains three buildings. One appears to be an armory, judging from the view through the doorway of a muscular smith hammering a sword into shape on an anvil, a forge filled with hot coals behind him. The second appears to be a stable containing about twenty horses, with a pair of simhata in a nearby pen. The third building, possessing by far the largest of them, is undoubtedly the fortress tenshu, or keep.

Within the courtyard, Ailera also notices a small scale of mortal soldiers stood in a shieldwall and going through a spear and shield drill, a female officer barking out moves for them to perform, which they do in near perfect form and synchronization.

Moving as if she did belong there, Ailera will head towards the keep.

Two guards stood at the huge front doors of the keep pay Ailera no mind, allowing her to walk through without issue. The Night Caste finds herself inside a large entrance hall, with multiple doorways leading to different parts of the building.

What does Ailera wish to do or look for inside the keep?

Ailera will do a bit of scouting about, trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak. Especially looking out for any way for the fort to be able to communicate long distances.

With regard to long range communications, Ailera discovers that the fortress relies on a pair of mortal sorcerers to send messages and communications via the Infalliable Messenger spell. She also discovers that the fortress has a signal fire set up in a tower on the eastern wall; a large pile of dry wood manned by a single sentry, ready to be lit up if the place comes under attack and needs reinforcements from the other fortress.

If she can come up with a point where one or both of these mortal sorcerers are ever alone, Ailera will see if it is possible to eliminate them prior to the battle.

Ailera soon finds out that both sorcerers share quarters up in the higher levels of the keep, consisting of two separate bedrooms connected to a small room that links them to the rest of the building.

At the moment, the pair of sorcerers - both of whom are middle-aged men in robes and possessing of greying hair - are sat down at a table together in the connecting room, playing what appears to be some kind of boardgame with each other.

jaydude jaydude what is your ruling about surprise attacks on mortals? I am thinking that I Ailera could take at least one of them out by surprise, slipping in unseen to the room that they are in and killing one right away, then making a rapid attack on the second guy while he is still in shock.

jaydude jaydude what is your ruling about surprise attacks on mortals? I am thinking that I Ailera could take at least one of them out by surprise, slipping in unseen to the room that they are in and killing one right away, then making a rapid attack on the second guy while he is still in shock.

Go ahead. Off them both.

Ailera will go into the room under the effects of her Easily Overlooked Presence Method, thinking that their level of alertness would be lower than the guards on the wall. Slipping up behind the first one, she drives her Frost Thorn Knuckles into his chest, then would immediately turn and deliver a killing strike against the second. Once she is certain that both are dead, Ailera figures that now would be a good time to make her exit; after all, the whole fortress will be riled up like a beehive that has just been hit by a stick.

Sherwood Sherwood
Ailera is able to leave the fortress and make her way back to the Silver Mermaid with the guards none the wiser. Soon after she gets over the walls though, loud bells can be heard ringing from the fortress; evidently the bodies of the two dead sorcerers have been discovered, even if Ailera hasn't been compromised.

Rykon Rykon Psychie Psychie
As these events are taking place, Ganzin decides to come clean with Ryan and Axtis on the Silver Mermaid, telling them about the Solar who came to stay in his village, and of how the Wyld Hunt destroyed it in the course of pursuing said Solar.

"I feel like I owe the two of you this much, seeing as you're helping me get revenge on one of those murderers." he says to Ryan.

As Ganzin goes into his tale, Axtis' face grows dark in anger. "That . . . is just terrible! And it fully explains why you are so angry. Thank you for sharing this with me, and I look forward to bringing some much deserved justice to this Dragon Blooded in the name of your village and the Solar that fell to this killer."

When Ailera gets back to the ship, she tells everyone about what she saw in there, and how she eliminated the two mortal sorcerers. "There is still the possibility of the fort lighting up the bonfire at the top of the place, but at least there won't be any Infallible Messenger spells going out from them."

Ryan receives the news in much of the same manner as Axtis. "Well, everything makes a lot more sense now. I'm really going to enjoy taking these butchers down a peg or two."

When Ailera returned and mentioned the bonfire. "Hm, let me check the map here. How fast could back up actually get to them with that bonfire..."

7 Successes on determining the immediate consequences if the bonfire's lit.

Ryan receives the news in much of the same manner as Axtis. "Well, everything makes a lot more sense now. I'm really going to enjoy taking these butchers down a peg or two."

When Ailera returned and mentioned the bonfire. "Hm, let me check the map here. How fast could back up actually get to them with that bonfire..."

7 Successes on determining the immediate consequences if the bonfire's lit.

The width of the river here is normally about 25 miles wide, but between the two fortresses it is drastically narrowerer, roughly a mere six miles. Given this distance, and Ryan's earlier observation of the cutters, he estimates that it would take no more than an hour for backup from the second fortress to arrive. The two towers will be able to get people over much faster, but the numbers they can contribute are low enough to be inconsequential.

Ryan is more worried about troops from locations outside the immediate area. Other than the towers across the river, does it appear that any other location would be able to respond quickly?

Ryan is more worried about troops from locations outside the immediate area. Other than the towers across the river, does it appear that any other location would be able to respond quickly?

Ah, right. No. As far as Ryan's aware - and that's very far and aware, given he got seven successes - Lookshy has no other nearby locations that would be able to provide aid.

Ryan rolled up his map with a bit of satisfaction. "Looks like we're in the clear. Surprise reinforcements don't appear to be a risk we're facing here. However, Lookshy fortifications aren't lightly tackled. We can either have a small team infiltrate and hold the gate open to the interior or we can attempt a more subtler approach. Ailera, Ganzin, Axtis, given that there's no way to accomplish this mission without your skills, what is your favored approach here? I can handle loud or quiet just fine."

Ganzin scratches his chin thoughtfully. "As long as we can get the gates open quickly, it doesn't matter to me how we do so. Besides us having a lot of Solars, the numbers advantage is the only one we have; we need to get past the walls in order to make use of it."

"Well, if there's nothing else to address here's my plan. We have an infantry unit on standby out of sight. Our Exalted core will approach under cover of night. Axtis, I'll need you to help us secure the wall as silently as we're able. Axtis, Doc, and myself will then move to secure the gate for our men. That's where the ruckus, and thus the distraction, begin. Ganzin and Ailera, you are to locate our priority target, pick your moment, and strike. Once the gate is taken and our infantry moving into the inner courts, we'll regroup and ensure our primary target is eliminated. After that, we're on cleanup detail. Any questions?" Ryan asked of the circle at large.

"Works for me." Ganzin replies. "I'll tell my bandits that they're to fight under you for this battle."

From his position, wistfully looking into the water below, Zedradon finally spoke. "Sounds like a plan to me. Unless you need me elsewhere during that time, I'll stick with you. Any preparations you want to make beforehand?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back