• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Ailera nods, smiling. "At least you don't look like you are going to try to throw me out on my ass for that. That's a good thing; I haven't finished my drink yet."

Mara gives another chuckle. "If the two of us were playing when you caught me taking liberties with the rules, I'd have bought you a drink to make up for it. Would've done the same for that idiot, if he hadn't drawn an axe and tried to chop me in two." She nods towards a hefty-looking axe currently lodged in a support beam of the building.

A moment prior Ryan merely smiled at her subtle inquiry, and spoke with a playfully sarcastic tone. "Ah, you humble me Captain Mara. I wouldn't expect one blessed by the Dragons to care for the comings and goings of low-lives like us." After a moment, when he could finally match the name and stories he made a mock smack to his head, "Ah, it just occurred to me that I have heard of you before... Very impressive work."

Ryan chuckled at Ailera's interjection. "Well speaking of drinks, I could go for a round." With that, Ryan gave a subtle hand gesture to his recruits to relax and disperse for the moment. Nothing like good food and good brews after a long march after all. "You two up for some drinks as well? I don't mind coverin it, if you're willin to talk business." He offered.

"If you're paying, sure I'm willing." replies Mara, before she signals to one of the bar staff to come over and take their drinks orders.

Ryan makes his order then leans forward to speak in a more direct manner. "Well, as much as I like what I've heard about you and your character, I don't suppose you would be willing to join us directly. However, I do think a mutual understanding could be beneficial. For our part, we're a simple unit with a simple goal, to retake Alsein. To do that, I'd need numbers, cash, and preferably, a ride back down the river. For now, let's just talk cash... If we were to merely partner together on a joint venture, I believe we could take on a much more ambitious endeavor, hopefully for more than twice the usual haul, right?" Ryan paused to let the question settle. "That is all assuming you'd even be interested in having more power and security on hand." He said with a shrug. "As for the wild card here, she seems to have a keen set of eyes. Wouldn't mind havin' the extra help if you're up for payin' work." Ryan said with a vague gesture toward Ailera.

Ailera slides into a seat at the same table with interest. "Paying work is always a good thing. That, and having someone pay for a drink. As you said, I do have a good eye on me. I might be able to be persuaded to aid you in your endeavors. Depending on what that is, of course."

Ryan gave a welcoming smile, "Agreed... I think that will be the real challenge, finding a gig with a big enough payout that is suitable to our tastes."

Ailera looks to the two mercenaries. "So, Ryan is it? What kind of work are you looking for? I know some people in the area; I may be able to hook you up with a job, depending on what you have in mind."

Mara makes her own order and exchanges grins with the bar wench, who brings her and Ryan's drinks over about a minute later. With a tankard of ale in front of her, she listens as Ryan outlines his thoughts and Ailera gives her replies before adding her two eighths of a dinar.

"I've heard rumors about Alsein, and what's happened there since the Northborn took it over. I too might be interested in a partnership of some sorts, especially with one as handsome as you." she says to Ryan. "Of course, that depends on what kind of job you and your men are hoping to do, and whether or not it's practical for us to work together."

Ryan takes Mara's compliment with a warm smile. "Ah, you humble me, Mara. I too look forward to working with you." He then turns to Ailera with his response, "Well, I'm not really inclined to dastardly work. My lord may have fallen, but I still took oaths as a knight. Usually, the favored types of jobs would be bounty hunting or scavenging a ruin. However, it occurs to me I have a lead that could pique your interests." Ryan leans in closer to the pair of ladies so as not to spread such a name to too many ears. With a quiet tone, he asks, "What do you two know of Nalia?"

Mara blinks at Ryan's mention of Nalia. "I've heard rumours that there was a... dispute over who was to succeed the previous king. Honestly, all those royals squabbling over who gets to sit in a big fancy chair while torturing themselves with the responsibility of keeping an entire kingdom happy, fed and secure..."

She shakes her head in disbelief that someone could choose this path, before speaking again. "Anyway, why do you ask?"

OOC What has Ailera heard, if anything, about this?
She's heard that the former king's eldest daughter was forced to flee after being suspected of poisoning him, she knows that a bounty's been put on the daughter's head by her brother and the new king, and she's heard rumors that the daughter was actually driven out due to suspicions of her being an Anathema, but nothing more than that.

Ailera would lean in a bit, and lowers her voice to say, "I've have heard rumors that the king's eldest daughter is suspected of poisoning him, and there is even talk that she is Anathama." She shrugs. "I don't know how much weight I would give those comments, though. It could just be a slander campaign to ruin her name and give her enemies an excuse to have her hunted down and kill her before she can marshal up any support for her to take the throne."

Ryan chuckled, "I couldn't agree more. Though I'd say the gratitude of an underdog could be very profitable, no? I'm afraid I can't share more here as I'd be endangering innocent friends of mine. That said, I could present said friends with the offer if you're up for a healthy challenge. Then I will be more than happy to relay any details to you in a more intimate setting then, well..." Ryan makes a vague gesture at the surrounding bustle of inn patrons, wenches, and the like.

At the mention of Anathema Ryan gave a dismissive gesture. "I've heard people label everything and everyone from oracles to outhouses as Anathema simply because it offends them. Such a rumor is based on whims of ambition and convenience unless they can be proven otherwise." Ryan paused to take a long pull from his tankard then added. "I'd put no stock in them until there's proof."

Ailera nods. "As I said, it is just a rumor, but if enough people say it is so, it doesn't matter if she is an Exalt or not. It will cause damage to her credibility, and possibly even draw the Wyld Hunt out to deal with her in the most extreme fashion possible. It could be what the starters of the rumor want, to have some Immaculate monk do the dirty work of killing her off for them."

Ryan's ears twitched at the notion of referring to someone branded as an Anathema as an Exalt. Either I misunderstood or she knows the truth. I need to dump this topic of conversation quickly before people here get suspicious. "I have no love for the Immaculates but they aren't ones to waste resources on local fiction. Otherwise they could be lead on an eternal goose chase and exploited for the treasures they carry. Surely for all their pontificating, they aren't that stupid."

"Yes, I'd certainly think so." says Mara in response to Ryan's words, leaning back in her seat as she speaks. "I mean, I've seen the local Immaculate Vartabad, Scarlet Tiger, when he comes here to preach, but he seems more of a loudmouth than an idiot, more interested in trying to convert this city and the surrounding area rather than chasing rumors of Anathema."

"But anyway, are the three of us to take up the cause of this poor, exiled Queen, and hope she rewards us greatly if we can restore her to her rightful throne?" she asks in an amused sounding tone.

"It would be far more than a mere bounty would pay but no actually. I know of one companion far more useful than she. His knowledge would lead to far greater treasures than the hands of kings or queens would yield. Nalia would likely be a price for such access, granted. However, it too could be of great use to us." Ryan stopped again to empty his tankard. "More than that would be unwise to divulge here. Further discussion should be away from open ears."

"Fair enough." replies Mara, as she too drains her tankard. "Do you have anywhere in mind where we can discuss this privately?"

Ryan smiles offering another tease. "Well, I have a camp outside the walls, or we can get a room at a less rambunctious establishment. Your call my lady."

Ailera nods. "I have spent some time running about the town, so if you don't have a place in mind, I could suggest a private spot or two."

Mara gives Ryan another smile, before looking at both him and Ailera. "I think it would save all of us some time and energy if we were were to walk to a place within the city. Is there anywhere either of you were thinking of?"

Ailera nods. "There is a old warehouse not far from here that has fallen into disrepair. Its locked up tight, but since there is nothing of value stored inside, there is no security on site. I can get us in easily, and we can talk all we want without being overheard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back