Story Chipley

Arachne

1)
Driving from Chipley to Panama City generally took people 40 minutes. Mr. Byrd's drive would take 50. He much preferred traveling via 231 to doing so on 76, because bridges scared him. Often, he would abruptly stop in the road if he found himself faced with a long bridge. He would vomit over the steering wheel otherwise.

Mr. Byrd's job as a teacher wasn't lucrative. He ran into financial problems every few years. Luckily, he had a part-time job that paid extremely well. It was a terribly uncomfortable job, though, and made him as queasy as long bridges. "I'd much rather drive on a bridge," he thought, "than do that job."

His car was as unstable as his finances. Despite working for 25 years, and owning his own house, he was stuck with an '02 F150. It worked, for the moment. But the roof was rusted, and the paint had been scraped off in several places. The cruise control was also broken, which was the biggest source of annoyance for Mr. Byrd. He had to constantly change his foot pressure to maintain speed on the route.

Traffic gradually grew thicker and slower as he approached the city. The vast forests bordering 231 slowly morphed into street lamps, restaurants, and retail stores. As the number of stop lights and the density of shops increased, Mr. Byrd consulted his mental map. Luckily, he wouldn't have to suffer the Saturday morning traffic for long. The Holiday Inn was only two or three turns from the next light.

He had changed out of his stained wife beater and khaki cargo pants. Now, Mr. Byrd was wearing a well-ironed blue button-up polo, tucked into black dress pants. He wore a simple leather belt and had complementary wingtips. To put it shortly, he was well-dressed. Even his curly beard had been trimmed to mere stubble. His shiny, bald head was masked by a navy blue baseball cap. Byrd had work to do.

His only assignment was to cater to room 307. It was now late into the afternoon, according to Byrd's watch. It had been quite a journey to get the dinner cart up the stairs. Sadly, elevators made him queasy as well. Nerves and the climb up the stairs made Byrd begin to sweat. He quickly wiped his brow and cleared his throat. Finally ready, he knocked with two hard thumps on room 307's door.

A tall, muscular, and European-looking man opened the door quickly. "You late," he snarled with a Russian epithet.

"My apologies, Sir," Byrd said quietly, wheeling the meal cart to the kitchen after the man had stepped aside.

"Rest assured, everything is still hot." Byrd scanned the metal covers of the dishes, then lifted and set a rectangular lid to the side of the dish. Steam curled off of a rack of grilled ribs. He quickly unveiled all but one of the other dishes but noticed with great interest that the Russian man had already dirtied his suit with sloppy eating. "He must really love ribs," Byrd thought.

Time moved slowly for Byrd now. This was why he was able to keep this part-time job after years of intermittent service. He lifted the lid of the final plate and tossed it at the door, which had closed shut. While the sloppy Russian cracked his head around to follow the motion of the metal disc, Byrd swiftly picked up the Walther PPK/S and flipped it over in his hands. With his thumb, he shoved the safety aside, revealing the red beneath it. It was fairly front-heavy, he thought absently as he aimed it. "They really should make these silencers lighter."

That burly Russian man never turned around. There was a disquieting sound of air being pushed aside, and he fell into a sprawl. The small .22 bullet had pierced his skull on one side, and gotten stuck in the other. Byrd tried to comfort himself with the fact that there would be no cleaning involved as he hurled into the kitchen sink. He really hated this job.

[that's chapter one for ya. feedback, tips, critiques; anything is helpful!]

Last edited:
Wow, I'm rather impressed. To be honest, I joined this site just a few hours ago. I happened to find this specific subforum and clicked the first post. I have to say, you're very descriptive! I'm curious how long it took you to write this chapter!

As for critiques, I really only have one suggestion: you should start a new paragraph when the dialogue speaker changes. Your seventh paragraph should be split where Mr. Byrd speaks next.

Aside from that, I'm honestly wanting for more. I didn't expect much, especially with the dry beginning (no offense, but a long drive isn't exciting, no matter how descriptive). But that's an absolutely fantastic setup for the final two paragraphs. The first sentence of the second-to-last paragraph, "Time moved slowly for Byrd now." sort of gave me an early warning. It made me feel like there was a hidden power/ability that Mr. Byrd had, and it seems that way after I've read to the end. Of course, I don't know if this is true, and I don't want to influence any future writing. Nor do I want any spoilers! But I'm ready for chapter two.

I'll be keeping this on my bookmarks and Watch list.

Wow, I'm rather impressed. To be honest, I joined this site just a few hours ago. I happened to find this specific subforum and clicked the first post. I have to say, you're very descriptive! I'm curious how long it took you to write this chapter!

As for critiques, I really only have one suggestion: you should start a new paragraph when the dialogue speaker changes. Your seventh paragraph should be split where Mr. Byrd speaks next.

Aside from that, I'm honestly wanting for more. I didn't expect much, especially with the dry beginning (no offense, but a long drive isn't exciting, no matter how descriptive). But that's an absolutely fantastic setup for the final two paragraphs. The first sentence of the second-to-last paragraph, "Time moved slowly for Byrd now." sort of gave me an early warning. It made me feel like there was a hidden power/ability that Mr. Byrd had, and it seems that way after I've read to the end. Of course, I don't know if this is true, and I don't want to influence any future writing. Nor do I want any spoilers! But I'm ready for chapter two.

I'll be keeping this on my bookmarks and Watch list.
Thanks for all the feedback! Honestly, I was just writing for an hour or two, and posted it.

Thanks for all the feedback! Honestly, I was just writing for an hour or two, and posted it.
I really liked it. Out of the ordinary read for me, but it was neat. Isn't writing such a love/hate pain? An hour or two for a 5-minute read. The brain is a fickle thing.

2)
Taylor Benson taught at Chipley High School in the room across from Mr. Byrd's. The week before had been Thanksgiving. Taylor's proximity to Mr. Byrd was all that he had silently acknowledged that he was happy about. As Taylor put more thought into how much he enjoyed Mr. Byrd's presence in his life, his face grew crimson.

Taylor had once been a very religious man. That's why he had several bibles in his house and one next on his nightstand. Early in the mornings, he sometimes mistook it for his alarm. Late in the night, after his wife and kids were asleep, though, he knew exactly where to find it. Never did he mistake his alarm for his bible. The bedside book was a heavy manuscript, leather-bound and printed in a large font. In his dim, moon-lit room, he would sit on the side of his bed with the book in his lap.

He prayed, every night, in that silent room. Both the seasonal, summertime cicadas and the eternal, evergreen crickets were drowned out by his outreach to God. When his interest in Mr. Byrd had started, his tone was humble. He pleaded, begging his Lord to bestow some miracle on him. As of late, his humble tone had turned brash and demanding.

Taylor noticed an uncomfortable, but natural, reaction to his thoughts of Mr. Byrd. He couldn't act on them at the moment, though. He was still at school.

Bringing his mind back to the present, the teacher straightened his tie and glanced around the room. His door was stopped open, and a young girl was making up work. Lynn, he thought. She was, in his eyes, the most promising of his students. Taylor taught science classes at Chipley High. Lynn Chestfield was enrolled in his 1st-period Advanced Placement Chemistry course. While the other students seemed to be failing miserably, Lynn had nearly perfect grades. The only thing to criticize her on was her poor attendance. Like most seniors, she had a tendency to skip school.

The golden-haired teacher checked the time. 3:15. School had ended half an hour ago, so Lynn was probably getting close to finishing. He leaned forward in his desk, stretching, and caught a glimpse of Mr. Byrd walking through the hall. Off to his lonely home, no doubt. If only Taylor could--

"Mr. Taylor! I'm done."

Escaping his distraction once again, the teacher turned forwards to see Lynn at his desk. Her small frame seemed comparable to the thin stack of papers she was offering him. He accepted them with an arm and set them in front of him on his desk, meeting her eyes. Violet was such a strange color. He still wasn't used to it. His eyes traveled upwards, to her dark, straight hair. Lynn's was cut neatly, giving her short bangs in the front and waist-length hair in the back. Compared to her peers, it was very long.

He watched as she took measured steps towards the door. After she leaves, Taylor thought, I'm out of here. My TA can grade this. As she reached the door, he leaned sideways to grab his work bag; a leather messenger bag, wide and worn with use. Suddenly, he heard the door shut, and for the second time today he was ambushed by the young prodigy.

He sat up, dropping his bag, and whirled his desk chair around to face her. His mind raced but found no answers to the situation. What did she want? To suddenly approach him, and?

"Chestfield?" Taylor asked, in an inquisitive voice. He gulped as he tried to look authoritative, waiting for her response. But, perhaps he wasn't prepared for her next actions. Smoothly and swiftly, she reached into his bag while moving to sit sideways in his lap.

From his bag, she produced a small revolver. His palms grew sweaty, and the natural reaction to Mr. Byrd's image shrank. Devilishly, Lynn grinned. Then, she pressed the small barrel of the matte black three-shot Deringer to his stomach.

Despite his life being in danger, he was far more afraid when she told him, "I know your secrets, Taylor." He glanced down at his stomach, and he struggled to prevent jerking away from her finger and the gun as they prodded and pressed against him.

"Who were you going to kill?" was the question that Lynn Chestfield, his star pupil, asked him. In spite of himself, he breathed a sigh of relief when she revealed that, in fact, she didn't know any of his true desires. But what did she believe he was going to do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back