• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Ivorel's body was like a lifeless statue as she didn't even flinch when Vox knelt next to her, staying as silent as the whole world around them. Wasn't he supposed to be on the other side of the trees right now? Perhaps even further than that, running to his freedom, a real freedom where he wouldn't have to take Ivorel where he said he would? Why was he there? Why was he offering the one thing she needed the most?
The silent presence of a creature that looked nothing like her but was curved out of the same material she was.

Her eyes stayed focused on the cocoon infront of her, following the flowly movements of the shadows that were almost like waves, coming and going from a shore that she couldn't really see.
Yes, making Conor follow her instead of Vox had saved his life. Controlling the power inside her, fighting against her own pain, telling her heart to look away from the betrayal, had saved his life.
But she had attack him, there was no denying that now. And she did want to kill him, make him suffer enough that death would only feel like a gift.
No matter what she had done, the darkness that run in her veins had won yet another fight.

Vox offering his hand to her, his motion carefull and slow was what finally made her snap out of the circle of self hatred she was at. Her eyes turned to look at his hand, seeing that his fingers had been scraped and his nails had broken, probably from climbing up the wall or from coming down from it. Funny, what small details her eyes chose to gather in such a time.

She reached over, putting her hand into his, marveling at how his bronze skin almost made her pale skin look fluorescent, noticing that her palm almost disappeared in his, as he pulled her off the ground.

Ivorel held onto him a moment longer than necessary, looking to give a name to the feeling touching him gave her, but as she got closer to the answer, she pulled away slowly, unlike how she had pulled from his grasp before, not wanting to face what truths would surface from that.

"As long as he is out we are safe in the woods but I won't be able to hold the cocoon from a long distance." She said, licking her lips. "If I let him now, we'll probably be far away enough by the time he comes around anyway. We need..." She looked up at the sky, searching for the sun above them "about four hours for the sun to go down. Then we can move more freely." Ivorel turned her eyes on Vox, choosing to say nothing of what had happened before he found her, knowing that they really didn't have more time to waste. Her powers would be more efficient under the moon light but they needed to put some distance between them and their persuers first.

It took a little while for Ivorel to notice his hand. For a moment he thought she wouldn't react at all. Then her clouded eyes fell on him and she placed her small hand in his. He enveloped it and it disappeared into his large grip as he gently pulled her to her feet. For a moment, he marveled at their vast differences in size and coloration, before shook the thought away. Her hand was cool against his skin, as if her emotions had sucked all the warmth out of her. Then, the moment was gone as she pulled away and his gaze fell on anything but her, slightly shaken.

He straightened, clearing his throat. He didn't ask what had happened, nor did he mention the cocoon, although he glanced at it briefly. "The fastest way into Omega is of course, thought the Devil's Walkway. We can head due east, and take the fastest route there, but it is also where the fighting is the worst. It might be hard to.." He paused considering the two of them, a demon and an elf crossing the battlefront undiscovered. He continued. "-Hard to make it across undetected. We will raise a lot of eyebrows on the Elyrian side of the war if they spot me." He pointed at himself and his obvious lumbering form and large horns. "On the Omegan side, we might be able to disguise you enough to pass through" He suggested.

"Alternatively, we can skirt to the north or the south of the Walkway, though that will take longer. Although there is till fighting there, we have a better chance of remaining undetected. After that, it's all about getting to the mountains". He considered their options carefully and considering their equipment.

"And as much as I appreciate the... cloak" He muttered the word almost sarcastically "we will need better winter provisions. The journey is hard and nothing grows on the Walkway. The Blasted Plains are not much better either. It would be best if we gathered some provisions for the trip."

What he said, painted a very bright picture in her head. Vox, tall and bulky with his horns and the bronze skin and Ivorel, almost looking like a child next to him, just casually walking through the Elyrian camps, just heading straight for the Devil's walkway like nothing weird was going on. She couldn't help it, though she did try, and a small giggle escaped her lips. She tried to swallow it down, biting her lip but she giggled again before finally, she just allowed herself to laugh, hiding her face behind her hand, not wanting to look at Vox because every time she did, she just kept thinking about it.

She turned around, still laughing, taking deep breaths, scolding herself for this childish outburst as if they weren't talking of something extremely dangerous for both of them. His burning comment about the cloak, only made her laugh harder.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" She tried to say between giggles knowing that she probably looked completely nuts right now but, with so many negative emotions gathering up inside her it was like, she needed to laugh!

"Yeah, I don't think crossing the borders will be that easy." She agreed, finally calming down but her eyes were at least vibrant now. "I think our best change is to go east, stay close to the lake and try to make a passage through the narrow part of the Devil's walkway. It's not a very easy root but I do know some paths that will be easier to cross and will keep us away from the main battle grounds. At least they are easier to cross as long as the snow doesn't catch up with us. Then those paths are something else completely." Ivorel said remembering all the times she had used those same paths when she went in Omega to spy, undetected but often having to fight against the weather and her hunger as almost nothing grew there. "But, what if we made a stop first?" She asked shrugging, looking at him like she she expected him to get angry with her. How could she explain to him where it was they needed to go before crossing the borders without sounding completely crazy? How could anyone really explain lady Aniel to someone who hadn't met her?
"Listen, we need supplies and we need proper clothing to pass the borders, no matter what our root ends up being, right?" She asked, choosing her words carefully and watching Vox closely for his reaction. "And, I did told you I know someone that will be happy to give us some information about who was it that killed your tribe and what they were looking for in the Scorched Wastes, right?" She asked knowing that would certainly get his attention though having to mention his tribe's slaughter wasn't the most gentle way to lay it to him.
"There is a small island, in Erin Èventin, where the lake reaches the Devil's walkway. That should be our first destination." She explained, now more anxious than ever. "And the one who owns the island, is a neutral elf Lady." She concluded, biting her lip again, smiling.

Last edited:
Vox blinked at her as she laughed. He tried to examine his words to see what had triggered such a reaction but he couldn't quite figure it out. He first frowned at her, perplexed at her outburst. A touch of anger came next as he assumed she was mocking him. Yet he couldn't stay upset as she continued to giggle. Soon, a twitch started to grow at the corner of his mouth that grew to form a smile over his lips. He couldn't help it, her unabashed laughter was contagious as his golden gaze watched her hand playfully on her own lips as if trying to contain the laughter inside of her.

"What's so funny?" he said, a twinkle in his eyes.

Vox nodded at her next words. "I was thinking that we could steal some supplies from nearby settlements." He stopped her before she said anything else "As much as I assume that you would prefer to buy supplies the honest way, every settlement from the Devil's walkway to Elaluma will soon be searching for a female elf captain on the run with the Berserker." He shrugged apologetically "Then I was thinking we needed to hunt some large game for some provisions. It would mean that we would have to make camp for a week or so to gather everything and smoke the meat so it lasted." He considered her carefully. This was a routine that he was used to. He didn't travel well with armies as he didn't tend to follow orders, so for the last three years he had always struck out on his own from Nerora to the Devil's Walkway after the snows melted.

"If you have a contact that can provision us, it will cut out that week of us being sitting ducks in an area where your people will be obviously scouting for us. And I'm glad to see that you are already on track with the bargain we struck in the tent" He gave her a pointed look. The words were the opposite of harsh, but his tone spoke of how it would not be wise to go back on her word, a silent threat.

He paused at her next words. "Erin Èventin..." he tried to interpret the elven name, pronouncing it much harsher on his tongue than Ivorels melodic tunes. "I assume you mean the Crimson Lake in the common tongue? My tribe call it Illrov'sa, the Long Sea because you can't see the ends of it from the shores of the Scorched Wastes. I've never heard of this island before though" He mulled thoughtfully and wondered why that was the case. He shrugged dismissively. "If it gets us where we need to be and the supplies we need, then it's a solid plan in my eyes"

Ivorel blushed slightly when his lips almost curled to a laugh asking her what was it she found so funny.

"You wouldn't get it, it's nothing." She answered shaking her head, still hiding her mouth behind her fingers, trying to keep her face straight.

And then Vox started talking and making plans as to what their preparation moves ought to be, making her frown slightly. She could tell from his words Vox was used at traveling long distances without stopping a lot, carrying probably all he could carry with him, killing a big hunt once and retaining the meat instead of hunting daily. She had never thought about it, but it made sense, that demons had to work harder to hunt meaning they would spend more energy than the hunt would provide for them while, on the other hand, she could use her powers and find pray much easier. Plus elves almost never traveled alone which ment surviving the wild, wasn't that much of a struggle.

"I gave you my word and I'm going to keep it." She answered raising an eyebrow, challenging him as much as he challenged her. "Providing you will keep your part of the deal, we won't have any problems." She reminded him, refusing to skip the chance to provoke him a bit.

But at least he wasn't refusing to follow her plan, for now. She listened closely to the word he had used for the lake, finding it too harsh and difficult to even try to pronounce but she did find it amusing, learning they had different names for the same lake and the history of that name.

"Well, that island wouldn't be visible from the shores in your parts of the world but in all honesty, not a lot of people know about it." Ivorel shrugged knowing that if he didn't see it, it would be too hard to explain it to him on her own words. "Trust me, we will find shelter there and she wouldn't let us leave looking... Like that!" She said, waving at Vox, trying hard not to giggle again. "She's a good woman Vox and we will be safe there." She repeated, knowing that in order to get him on that boat, Vox would have to be completely sure she wasn't playing him.

And then Ivorel stabled like her knees couldn't hold her, stoping herself before she fell. Her eyes flew back at Conor's body, or where it should be and now there was only a flowing cocoon.

"We have to start moving!" She said, retrieving her shadows, knowing that she would need her powers for later. For now, Conor was still passed out and they were safe.

Vox nodded at her suggestion, shouldering his battle axe again with the leather strap. Ivorel did a motion with her hand that he didn't fully understand and the shadows around the unconscious elf retreated into the darkness around them. He had noticed Ivorel getting visibly more tired as their conversation had trailed on. He wondered how much her little display had cost her and how long they could trek for before needing to stop.

They set off in a south easterly direction, orienting themselves with the position of the evening sun as it peaked though the autumn leaves. They set a hard pace, saying little, focused on navigating the rough terrain. Vox let Ivorel take the lead for most of the trek, as she was more familiar with the elven forest of The Misted Vale than he was. As they walked, they kept their senses open to any alarming sounds that might signify any pursuers near by. For the first few hours of their silent march, everything was peaceful. There was no sign of elven life, though the Vale teemed with vibrancy. As evening fell, birds took up their lyrical calls and the forest seemed to come alive, rustling with every manner of creature imaginable.

It was close to dark when Vox caught wind of their pursuers. Deep in the distant forest, he could hear the shouts of soldiers as they no doubt searched for them. Ivorel had heard them too as she stopped, titling her head to the side. Her eyes narrowed as she scanned the trees, trying to read the terrain that would take them in a safer trajectory. As they continued, their shoulders remained tight but the sounds of soldiers grew quieter before being swallowed into the distance. Because of their concern of being detected, as by unspoken agreement, they kept walking deep into the night. Their progress slowed as visibility was vastly reduced, but after the third time Ivorel stumbled on a root, Vox reached out to put a hand on her shoulder. He noticed her shoulders tense at her touch before he removed his hand.

"You'll kill yourself at this rate. Let me be the eyes and you can direct me if I go into the wrong direction." She nodded at him, blinking grey eyes in the darkness.

Vox hadn't been been exaggerating. His eyes wouldn't have been able to see in absolute darkness, but with the moonlight streaming down though the trees added to the ambient starlight, the forest around them was painted in graceful silvers. His pupils were elongated and massively dilated, almost swallowing up his hole iris. So he took the lead, trusting his night vision to find the most suitable pathway though the treacherous underbrush. Yet he stayed close to Ivorel, keeping an eye on her feet, ready to catch her if she stumbled. Surprisingly, once she was onto a clearer path, she was a lot more sure footed and was able to make out the faint shadows around her enough to stay on her feet. In the few areas where the ground was laced with inter-webbing roots and the darkness was almost absolute, he took her hand in his to lead her through the forest. The first time he did it, Ivorel pulled away, startled, almost as if his touch had burned him. But then she relented, placing her small hand in his to guide, though she remained tensed. He tried not to think too much about the heat it radiated into his palm or the gentle pulse of her heartbeat under her skin.

As the moon crawled across the sky and sunk beyond the treeline, there was a point where even Vox struggled to make sense of the shadows around him. It was then that they rested for an hour, regaining some of their expended stamina. Vox had noticed the elf's form hunch over with tiredness. He wasn't surprised. It had been a long day and even he himself was feeling worn out, and he didn't even have the addition of his powers draining him like she had. She collapsed on the ground unceremoniously and Vox almost smiled.

"I'll keep first watch, you need some rest. I'll wake you up in an hour when the sun starts to rise. We should still be able to walk for another hour or so then before we settle in further".
She nodded, her eyes already closing as she made herself as comfortable as she could against a tree trunk. Truth was, Vox was too hyper alert to sleep. So he scanned the dark Vale as the dead of night slowly rolled into the early hours of the morning. As the sky turned a milky gray, he stood back up to shake her awake. His eyes traced her curled form, so vulnerable in her sleep.

What am I doing?
He asked himself. Is there any point in this charade? There is no need for me to be working with an elf. I should just leave her here and return to the Walkway. He could fight for a few weeks before returning to Nerora for the winter. Yet something stopped him and he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He told himself it was the information that she had offered, but he didn't quite believe that any more. So he reached out and shook her shoulder instead. Her eyes flew open, alarmed and ready to fight before her gaze fell on him.

"Lets keep going. Sun's about to come up".
"Was that really just one hour?" she muttered with a tired, groggy voice.
"We will get plenty of sleep when the sun is up again." She nodded and they set off through the forest, Ivorel taking the lead due to the increased visibility. She changed their trajectory slightly as she recalculated their position based on the last traces of Orion's belt hanging low over the brightening horizon.

When the dusty grey sky brightened and the sun peaked over the skyline, the sky lit up like it was on fire. The ethereal flames stretched though the forest canopy, painting everything in blood reds and vibrant oranges. It created a mystical world that for a moment; took is breath away. Voc was not one for sentimentality. Yet, not being a forest dwelling creature, he could not remember a time he had seen the sunrise though the branches of The Misted Vale. He could tell that Ivorel was enraptured too, as she gazed at the painted landscape.

As the oranges turned into the yellows of morning light, they stopped at a clearing to rest. A babbling brook ran though the clearing allowing them to quench their thirst. After a brief discussion, they concluded it unsafe to travel by day with potential patrols scouring the forest.
"I'll take first watch" said Ivorel "That last hour of rest revived me." Vox concurred and sank into a deep restless sleep.

When he next awoke at Ivorels shake, Vox felt groggy from sleep. He rubbed his face, trying to chase away the drowsiness and he grimaced at the dirt and grime on his hands. It was then he realized how dirty he was. Blood and grease had seeped into his skin, darkening it from its usual bronze to a muddy brown. He felt disgusted. He stumbled his way to the stream that cut though the grove, plunging his hands into the crisp water. He scrubbed and scrubbed, using the natural gravel from the stream bed to erode away at the dirt. He pulled of his cloak and was ready to pull away his trousers to jump in the stream when he heard Ivorel clearing her throat behind him.

"If you are doing what I think you are doing, at least do it privately. Do demons have no sense of propriety?" Vox blinked at her words. He had almost forgotten she was there. Her presence wouldn't have changed his decision to bathe, but her voice did take him by surprise.
"Well, I guess you just have to avert your 'oh-so-virtuous' gaze then so that my flesh doesn't offend you" His smile then turned teasing, suggestive. "Unless you want to join me, that is?" Vox could have sworn he saw some color flush on her cheeks. Well look at that, he thought. The elf was flustered. He saw her turn her back to him as she rested her head on a tree root.
"Just keep watch" She finally replied, disgruntled. Vox flashed a smile into empty air before dropping his trousers and sliding into the icy stream.

When they were both awake and rested during late afternoon, Ivorel approached him from across the clearing where she had been resting. Her body language was careful as if she expected a fight with him.

"We need provisions"
Vox raised an eyebrow at her sardonically. "You don't say." She cast him a dirty look.
"I brought some coins with me. There is a settlement just -"
Vox's eyes flashed dangerously. "No" He stated, a simple word yet it held depth to it. Ivorel almost rolled her eyes at it
"We can't continue at this pace without at least a weeks worth of preserved food, if not some basic camping equipment to get us though to the lake".
"I said no. We shouldn't risk towns or settlements. Every guard in a hundred leagues will be looking for you. It's a bad idea" He stated, his voice hard. She looked at him with careful consideration, a frown marring her features.
"I can be in and out without anyone even noticing I was there. I used to be a spy you know. This will be child's play".
"I still don't like it" He said, eyes hard.
"Well tough, you don't have to like it. You just have to meet me on the other side and keep watch for guards. Now hand me your cloak." Vox raised a suggestive eyebrow at her comment, a small smile on his lips. Annoyance flashed across her eyes. "Your cloak has a hood, mine does not. Don't be crude." Vox laughed as he disrobed and handed her the heavy fabric, leaving him bare chested to the autumn chill. She shouldered the cloak, not looking at him directly.

So they set off in the direction of the settlement Ivorel claimed she knew. Vox waited patiently in a nearby clearing for her to return, sharpening the edge of his axe over and over until it came to a deadly edge. He caressed the weapon, letting his fingers wander over the scars in the steel, remembering the battles that had marred it's surface. He heard Ivorel returning long before he saw her, identifying her footsteps from the familiar sound that he had gotten used to. She appeared thought the underbrush, cautiousness in her gaze, She shouldered two large packs as she tossed one at his feet.

"Food, water skin, bedroll and a flint and steel. You're welcome." Vox ran his eyes over the supplies, taking a mental account of his rations.
"Any trouble?" He said, not lifting his eyes from the pack.
"No, not really" She muttered like she was hiding something. Vox raised an eyebrow, golden eyes flashing towards her, trying to read her posture.
"Not 'really'? What happened?" She shrugged at his question.
"Just a little incident with one of the guards. He recognized me" Before Vox could say anything, her lips split into a self-satisfied smile. "Nothing to worry about. With a little luck, he will wake up with no memory of our encounter save for a splitting headache"
"And what if luck isn't with us?"
She shrugged. "Then we better get as far away from here as possible." She shouldered her pack and turned, making her way into the thick forest.

They got into a routine. Ivorel led them though the Misted Vale during late evening, and early hours of the morning, whilst Vox took over during the darkest parts of the night. They made slow, frustrating progress, which discontented Vox but he kept those opinions to himself. What Ivorel thought, he didn't quite know. Her expressions were neutral, all her attention turned to the task at hand. Perhaps she didn't want to think of anything but the road ahead as she would fall into disarray thinking of what she had done to her people back at camp. Vox didn't press it, he felt their relationship was fragile enough since he had threatened to kill her. He almost wiped his hand on his cloak, thinking of her tender neck in his iron grip. Looking at her, he could just about see the purple necklace of bruises under her collar. He refused to think about it more deeply.

And so the nights rolled into mornings and the days crept by. The unlikely duo fell into silence as they walked, only speaking when necessary, so lost in their own thoughts that they were. Their short conversations where on safe topics, such as rationing their supplies, the best routes to take and tactics to avoid the soldiers that were tracking them.

Twice more they came across a patrol. The first time they were far enough away for them to be able to skirt them safely. The second time, Vox was so lost in his own thoughts that he almost stumbled into Ivorel's back. She reached out a hand to steady him, eyes wide and a finger at her lips. Vox's senses shot in alarm as he realized how close the group was. Ivorel pointed to the nearest tree, and Vox nodded mutely. She scrambled up with more grace than he could muster, following her close behind. They perched on a branch, holding their breath, their senses on fire. Time inched painfully slowly as the soldiers drew closer.

And then they came into view. There were five of them, weaving though the underbrush with the grace that only their kind allowed. They searched with keen eyes, reading every upturned root or rock for clued. A soldier passed under their tree, searching the trunk. His shoulders tensed. Ivorel let out the air in her lungs slowly, eyes slightly too wide. Vox's hand went to the base of his axe, but a look from her kept him from unsheathing it. She did a motion with her hand and her eyes were tinted black as the shadows around them drew in to conceal them.

The soldier looked up. Vox tensed. The soldier moved on, dismissing them as nothing more than a trick of light. The two of them relaxed but didn't let down their guard until the patrol was out of earshot.

"That was close" Ivorel said, allowing the air in her lungs to whoosh out with a loud sound of relief.
"We could have taken them" Vox said, hand still on is battle axe. Something dangerous flashed behind Ivorel's eyes at his words.
"We are NOT killing anyone from my kind unless absolutely necessary. I will not cause unnecessary death" Vox shrugged at her words.
"We could have taken them." He repeated again, almost to himself. He neglected to tell her of the soldier he had killed or the deal that they had struck that would mean the death of several captains. Where those necessary deaths to her?

They were a lot more careful after that. They stopped moving during daylight almost entirely, preferring to stick to the dead of night. This slowed their progress even more and Vox felt the need to scream at times with frustration. The trees had almost become a twisted nemesis as they taunted him in the dark, branches waving provocatively in the nightly breeze. He felt like snarling at them, perhaps taking his axe to their trunk, see how they would provoke him then. The nights dragged and his body fell into lethargy at the routine. The never ending ache in his feet was the only thing that kept him grounded. He was glad that the nights would be getting longer as winter approached so they could make more progress.

One early morning as they settled in for a day's rest, Vox sat on a log, gaze intent on the forest around him as he kept watch. Ivorel was huddled in her bedroll beside him, but he could tell from her breathing that she was not yet asleep. Her eyes opened suddenly, to meet his golden ones.

"I can almost feel you staring. What do you want Vox?" She muttered in a muffled voice, disgruntled. He couldn't blame her, sleep was precious and hard to come by. He thought for a moment, considering his words carefully.
"You said you are taking me to an island on Illrov'sa, the Crimson Lake that is owned by an elf."
"Yeah..." she agreed, half asleep.
"Who is she? You mentioned she was was neutral, but what does that mean? And how will she react when she sees you with a demon, non other than the 'Berserker' himself? Do you really trust her that much?" He was almost talking to himself, uttering all the unspoken questions that had hung between them during the last couple of days.
"That's a lot of questions." She muttered with a yawn and then an idea flashed before her eyes, making her vividly awake. "Tell you what, lets go back to our little game. I answer as much as I can of your questions and you answer some of mine".
Vox couldn't help it, a smile played on his lips. "The game huh... You got yourself a deal."
Ivorel shifted around, tunting her eyes to watch he clear sky above them as she seemed to be gathering her thoughts carefully.

"I met Lady Aniel when I was part of her escort from Erin Èventin to Elaluma, back when I was younger and just a simple soldier." She begun, her tone lost in her memories. "She was, and frankly still is, the most peculiar creature I've ever met. She lives by her own rules and conscience since she abandoned our elven societies and answers to nobody but herself about her lifestyle. When I say she's neutral, I mean it as literally as I can. Elves, Demons and Humans are all welcomed on the island, providing that they leave their differences on their respective shores and their weapons at the gate. I told you that the island wouldn't be visible from your part of the world but it's also not visible from our shores either, even though it's not that far away. I'm not sure how she does it, but she keeps the island secluded and protected by some form of magic. You are going to see and hear things there that you would never imagine were possible between our races. I wouldn't know how to better explain it to you. It's an experience you live, not something I can explain." She turned her stormy eyes to him "But do I trust her? Blindly. She hates this war yet she's deep into politics. She loves all races, but hates politicians and militarists." Ivorel shrugged, a smile playing on her lips, considering him. "She will marvel at you and act so shocked that I'm traveling with you though I'm sure she knows already."

Vox absorbed the information like a sponge, curious at everything she had to offer. He tried to read between her spoken words to anything she had left unsaid."How would she know that?" he concluded.

"Someone with her influence, connections and power? Trust me, she knows everything that goes on, on both sides of the borders." Ivorel said like it was the most natural thing in the world and it made Vox wonder further. He caught Ivorel's smile before he heard her next words

"My turn now. Why did you come after me when we got separated? You could have made a run for it, shook them off your trail and could of have shaken me off too. So, why did you came after me when we separated before the oak grove?" Vox frowned at her words. They had said nothing of that day they escaped, nothing of what had happened between her and Conor or about how Vox had saved her life, taking an arrow for her, as if it was nothing of significance despite the abnormality of the situation. Yet it had occupied his thoughts though the long nights that they had traveled together. Vox caught something in her expression, and he wondered if she was thinking of his grip around her neck like he had often had. He picked his thoughts carefully, sorting his words from the phrases he had been telling himself over and over at his actions.

"When I saw Conor disappearing into the treeline after you, I decided I wasn't about the lose a valuable source of information due to a lovers quarrel between you two." He shrugged at Ivorel's annoyed look. "I told myself, when will I ever find another elf with whom I could strike such a profitable deal with?" He smiled, but his eyes were empty; words scripted. "I took that arrow for you on the battlements because your death would have been a detrimental. A severe wound like the one I suffered would also slow you down enough for me to lose you as a potential source. A wound like that for me-" He paused and gestured to his scared flesh "-is nothing and wouldn't slow me down". He neglected to tell her that he didn't quite believe that anymore. Something passed behind her eyes that he thought might just be disappointment. Yet she didn't prod further, seemingly satisfied with his answer however.

In the next few days, as they neared the lake, the trees thinned and the terrain became more passable. He wasn't sure if that was the reason that they were making good time, or the fact that both of them had sped up their pace with renewed vigor, eager to reach their destination. It was one of these nights that they came across the small moonlight lake. Moonbeams and starlight reflected across the water, painting the surface into a silver mirror. A thin layer of mist clung to the ground like an old lover, as it spilled over roots and rocks. He heard Ivorel gasp behind him. He turned his gaze to look at her and saw her eyes filled with wonderment and awe as she stared over the water. She reached out a slender arm, pointing at a small point on the lakes crystalline surface. At first, Vox thought it was a part of the landscape, a break in the monotony of the sleepy scene. But then the mass of shimmering moonbeams shifted and he too, gawked in wonder.

It was a bird, that was the best word he could use to describe it, but it was so much more. It had a long slender neck, tipped with an elegant hooked beak and wide, bottomless starlit eyes, as if he was gazing into the universe itself. As it uncurled itself from the land, Vox caught sight of its wings; vast and sprawling, much larger that what he thought was needed for the graceful creature. A long thin tail of plumage extended behind it as it trailed the ground. But it was it's feathers that caught Vox's eyes. They shimmered, iridescent and he wasn't sure if they were reflecting the moonlight or emitting it. Their base color was blue, though that was also a poor description as the vibrant colors shifted in the ambient light. As it extended its wings, he could see strange intermittent patterns in it's down feathers. The bird, ruffled its plumage and preened under one wing as they stared at it, motionless. Vox could almost feel Ivorel's excitement.

"That's a Illúve Llu Tengwi. " she muttered in a hushed tone. "We consider them a message from the Goddess. They" Ivorel paused trying to find the right words, still feeling her heart beat fast like a drum in her chest. "How do I translate it to you so that it makes sense? Illúve Llu means, everything that exists on the earth and everything around it, even those things we can't see or touch. Tengwi is a word for omen or sign. When the Goddess sends such a creature to us, it's because she wants us to remember all that is important. " she took a gulp of air before she continued.

"Legends say they were born into this world the same way the Shadow Elves, like me, came to be. We believe that when there is no moon in the night sky, it's the only time the Moon Goddess can descend onto this mortal plain and walk among us. One night, when she was on the earth, she came across a lake and fell deeply in love with it. But no matter how hard she tried to encircle the calm waters in her arms, she couldn't. She wept for not being able to embrace her loved one, and when she returned on the sky, the Goddess tried again, letting the beams of her light descend upon it's surface. Their union created Illúve Llu Tengwi and us." She said, knowing it was nothing but a tale yet there was something that spoke of peace in her voice. Peace and happiness too. The Illúve Llu Tengwi ruffled its feathers one more time before it tilted it's head to one side, as if it was listening to an unheard voice. It then spread its wings and disappeared beyond the tree canopy, iridescent feathers playing like a child on the water surface.

"They are very rare. A rare gift of the world we can not see nor understand." She concluded, closing her eyes like she wanted to keep the image of the animal in her mind a moment longer, treasuring the memory. "They are creatures of the old world you know. Our first settlers didn't bring them with them yet from time to time, people catch glimpses of them in the Misted Vale. Did you see the colours of it's feathers?" Her voice was that of an excited child as she turned to look at Vox "We paint our bodies in the same colors as them to be close to the Goddess." She sounded excited as he told him that small detail, and Vox couldn't help but return her smile.

Two days later, the pair punctured the tree line. It took Vox almost by surprise, so used to the endless forest around him. Deep in the distance, he caught sight of the long sea, the lake called Erin Èventin by the elves. The sky was just lightening over the treetops as it painted the scene in grey-scale. Somewhere on the wind, he thought he could smell the whiff of rotting corpses as the wafted from the Devil's Walkway. Unperturbed, Vox couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement at what this magical island had to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back