• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Cheers to the Disturbed

As Ashley shuffled in, she found a chair and made a beeline towards it. She ran a hand through her messy ponytail, as if to look more presentable, and then crossed her arms. Meetings weren’t too uncommon, but when one occured, Ash always wanted to be sitting. Everything was still on routine for her, and one silly meeting did not throw a wrench into her plans for that day. Watching Miguel’s hands, Ash could immediately detect that something was troubling him, but did not decide to speak up. Being a voice of reason wasn’t really her thing, she was just the brick wall protecting that voice of reason.

Jane quickly plunked down in a seat, dropping tasty orange slices into her mouth. She was almost out, which was fine. If only oranges were bigger, huh? Miguel seemed a little antsy, more than usual anyway. No doubt it'd be explained in the oncoming meeting, and frankly, Jane didn't want to pry too much. They weren't that close, their relationship was purely business and she didn't need it to be more or less than that.

-

It hadn't been long since Tim got in, less than a month. He still wasn't used to it. That feeling of being trapped in his own brain. After all, there was nothing to fucking do. He'd had his earbuds taken away because "the wire could be dangerous". He wasn't even allowed a goddamn radio unless he was in the common area, and then everyone would just get on his case for wanting to listen to what he wanted. Fuck them. Fuck them all, they didn't know shit. And frankly, honestly, every patient in this shithole could drop dead. He wasn't like these people, he wasn't some goddamn freakazoid with forty personalities.

Tim was normal.

The ceiling had all sorts of patterns on it. He'd memorized every single one above his bed because there was so little else to do. All of the books they had were shit, he didn't know how to draw, his only passion was music and that'd been stripped from him by this goddamn government toilet he was flushed down. Eating dinner with these fucking psychos, while the nurses stared at him to make sure he would keep it down. Last night's meal weighed heavy in his gut.

He staggered towards the window, trying once again to pry it open. At this point there were marks from where his nails had grazed the window frame, but still no luck. He socked the glass, which did little but hurt his knuckles.

"Sonuvashit!"

Daniel rolled his eyes as a corner of his mouth rose in a smirt at Miguel's comment. He ran a hand through his tousled hair and found a seat near the middle of the room Miguel had gestured for them to enter. Even as he had denied it, everything Miguel did contradicted his 'I'm alright's and 'of course I slept's. Something was definitely bothering him and Daniel narrowed his eyes infinitesimally as if he was trying to read his thoughts. His curiosity had always gotten the better of him, and his knee bounced a bit as his mind raced with possibilities. What could possibly have Miguel so tense? Another wage cut? More patient losses? Bankruptcy? He chewed absently on his lower lip as he waited for the meeting to start up. If they were forced to leave this place, would the patients wind up on the streets? He shuddered at the thought of that Carnage guy out there, or even one of those Multi-personality chics being out there. Some of these people could really hurt themselves, or others...

(Allison) Jane had winced when she felt a hand wrap around her wrist as if the gentle pressure had hurt her somehow. She had struggled weakly as she was led back into her room, and once the woman left and the door was shut again, the pale girl let herself drop to the floor. Her breathing was erratic as she pulled herself into a ball on the ground. For a moment, she stared at the bottle the woman had left. It might have water, as the woman had said, but it could be something else entirely. All she could think of was what if they came back, and then the 'they' becomes a 'what if he comes back'. Flashes in her brain became a mesh of different tortures and she cradled her own head in her hands, rocking back and forth on the floor.

"Water? He gave me water. Water. Not water," Jane mumbled to herself incoherently. Her nails would have dug into her scalp had they not been cut short recently after an incident with the other girl, A.J. At the thought of her other, violent self a wail escapes from her lips and she suddenly snatches the bottle off the ground, clumsily wrangles the cap off of it, holds it up to her mouth and crushes the plastic in her hands. Sure, some of the water gets in her mouth, but a majority dampens her face and hair. She tosses the mangled bottle at the other end of the room and as she does her eyes meet with the window and she freezes in place. The sun stares at her from the sky and she doesn't dare blink. Its brightness is captivating and all of her thoughts slowly melted away. Slowly, she uncurls herself and begins to crawl across the floor to the window. With the memories no longer tormenting her every thought her eyes stay transfixed on the glowing orb in the sky as if she hadn't seen the thing in years.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Miguel could practically hear the worry oozing out of Daniel. Bouncing his leg, chewing on his lip, Quite cute, no? Then Miguel was fully awake, banishing the thought like a spiked volleyball. This was no time for his f**ked up mind to start playing with that side of his brain, this was morning meeting and his stress was letting all his jumbled worries form a pool of sludge. Miguel purposely looked away from the guard, turning towards the rest of his staff as they settled into the room. He stiffened his back and took on his full height, imposing with steel eyes. He was the Warden again, no wondering thoughts or distress anywhere to be found. Not to be messed with. Miguel, when in the mood, turned into Atlas and he held this building up like the world.

"Today, like any first of the month, we need to get all of our audits on charts done. They can be reviewed throughout the next week, but they start getting worked on today. Also, Forest and I will get around to reviewing payroll but I want to remind you again your clock ins and clock outs get flagged if you fill them in the log two days later. Try to keep up with that. Security, full sweep and recheck all door and window locks within the next two days. Switch between the two of you to not leave eyes off the monitors for too long. Nurses, figure out who's scheduling our shower rotations for the residents and make sure your meds are counted TWICE. We lost two percocets last month and I don't need to tell you how much paper work that entailed. Special interest for anyone willing, our resident Tim. He hasn't... really connected with anyone. His weight is staying steady and even gained a pound, congrats to everyone helping with meals, but per nursing reports he's still rather isolate. Let me know your opinion but maybe more one on one therapy instead of group?" Miguel spoke evenly and with authority, something his ex-wife used to call his "Give-me-a-reason-to" voice.

With a moment to catch his breath, he readied himself against the news. It weighed like ice in his stomach, but instead of dread he brought it forth with the anger he felt. Miguel's eyes sparked to life. "Oh, and management just informed me that the Home will be closing the last of the month. We have thirty days, from now, to get the building's affairs in order including rehousing for the residents and relocating if need be." Miguel's smile lent nothing but fury and rage to his words. Anyone that worked with him, knew how much Miguel had come to despise upper management. Anyone that was with him long enough, before his awful marriage, also knew what a powerhouse he used to be rallying against them to make this Home an actual home.

NivieApple NivieApple Twin Fantasy Twin Fantasy Panda_Roleplays Panda_Roleplays

Forest stayed standing throughout the meeting, for some reason she hated sitting for these things. She had a calm expression throughout the first little bit but as soon as Miguel commented about her forgetting to put her hours in the logs on the same day, she smiled sheepishly and blushed hard. She avoided his eyes. That had always been a bad habit of hers that she still couldn't get under control. She scratched her head and followed along with the rest of the meeting.

That's when he broke the news to them and her stomach flipped violently. How? Why? Are they actually allowed to do this? Is he playing a sick joke on them? Miguel had worked so hard to make this place the best he could make it. This place was like a home to him and she knew this was destroying him more than he was letting on. She was the first to respond to it, and she responded with disbelief and anger. Forest wasn't an angry person but this upset her.
"What?" She started, still trying to comprehend his words. "How are they able to do this, and why?" She asked, not really to Miguel specifically, more just letting her thoughts escape her mind. Where would the staff go? Where would Miguel go?
She was most worried about Miguel. Just how much was this actually destroying him to say?

SerianX13 SerianX13

"Because, to paraphrase them, they crunched the numbers and the Home would be in debt and cause too much of a liability against the funding company. Even though we all f**king know they denied our last three appeals for grants to come in." Miguel had to give a small laugh at the ridiculousness of it. Forest and he had worked tirelessly on those grants, writing for hours and providing so much paperwork to back them, and they'd been cut off at the pass. Those would have easily brought in a year, if not a year and a half, of funding and management would have been off scott free. He's still not sure why they denied the requests before they had a chance to go up the ladder, the petty part of Miguel chalked it up to another attempt to sabotage him.

"And they're able to do this because it still falls within the four week agreement for conditions of terminating employment. The same way you'd be expected to give four weeks per your contract? They're within their four weeks." Miguel leveled Forest with a withering smile, a smile that said 'Ain't that a b*tch?' and again chuckled at the absurdity.

Panda_Roleplays Panda_Roleplays

Forest let out a little huff of annoyance and looked down, shaking her head again. Her mind raced already trying to figure out ways to save the place from being shut down. She looked back up at Miguel in time to see that withering smile. They all had only four weeks left. She cursed out the upper management in her mind, and shook her head again.
"They're all incompetent." She said, referring to the grants mostly but also just to the company as a whole. Every single one of the people she had met from there had been pigheaded jerks. Always rude, never seeming to care about how hard they had all been working at this facility to keep it running.
Forest just hoped they could come back from this somehow. Or at least go out with a bang.

SerianX13 SerianX13

The meeting went just as expected for Ash, until the four week time limit was set in stone by Miguel’s strong tone. Eyes fluttering, Ashley sits up and immediately starts to pay attention. She was really going to lose another job in four weeks? Would she really have to devote more time to getting another job? The thought made a distinct shiver crawl up her spine, and the bile rise into her throat. Looking around the room, her eyes land on Jane, and Ash forces herself to swallow. Silent, she pays more attention to the current conversation, and bulldozes any current emotions that could interrupt.

Daniel was listening along, taking a mental note about the security sweeps and checks. Same old work stuff. Then the real bomb dropped at the end of Miguel's talk. He went still. It was both exactly what he had been worried about, and worse than, he realized. Relocating the patients would take time and how were they expected to take care of everything that would need to be done in only four weeks? As Forest and Miguel talked about what management can and can't do, he started thinking about some way out of it all, but nothing came to mind. What 'management' said was law, and that fact left a bitter taste in his mouth. He sat up straighter and ran a tense hand through his hair for what felt like the hundredth time that day. And he had only been up for less than an hour.

"What a bunch of a-holes," he muttered, hardly louder than a whisper. Sure, this wasn't his ideal job, working long hours of security in this place, but Daniel had come to appreciate all the people here, including the patients, and it felt like being forced to leave it all for some new job, likely doing the same thing, was just utter crap. He looked at the place where Miguel stood and shook his head solemnly, realizing how rough it had to be for him. Heck, Miguel had given everything to this place, and now... Gosh.

Last edited:
Miguel suddenly straightened up and brushed off his suit. No use staying here any longer, that was the big news he had and the longer he dwelled on it the more upset he got. And he didn't want to be more upset in front of his staff.

"Nurses, you should start in on your morning Med pass and get everyone down for breakfast. We still have the chefs into the last week as well. If anyone needs me for further questions, I'll be available after 9:30. Thank you... Really." And with that Miguel left, heading for his small Sanctuary on the art floor. The grand piano was practically his best friend in this building, and the only thing he wanted right now more than another cup of coffee was to play something hard, Fast, and Loud. No one would be doing rounds on that floor for a while, though Miguel knew the security footage showed him alone there often no one ever mentioned it. He and Forest had a lot of work to do, but right now he wanted to forget this building and think only of what he was about to play.

Last edited:
Forest watched as Miguel left, deciding not to bother him for the time. When he needed her, he'd call. For now, she turned to the staff around her surveying all their faces. It'd be sad to have to have all of them leave and disappear out of her life, but that is the way the world turns, she supposed. The staff around her would inevitably start to head out soon, but she didn't quite know what to do with herself, as Miguel never really addressed that. So instead, she decided to ask if anyone would need help with their tasks today.
"If any of you need help today, I'm all yours until Miguel assigns me to something else." She said, and waited for the response.

Interactions: NivieApple NivieApple SerianX13 SerianX13 GayGoggles GayGoggles Twin Fantasy Twin Fantasy dazzling dazzling

Jane sort of balked at the whole scene. Thirty days? That would be barely enough time to move all of her goddamn trinkets out of her little workstation. She sure as shit didn't have a backup job, her two degrees barely ever seemed to get her anything half the time. And now it was all falling apart before her, all the hard work and elbow grease she'd put in, as one of the most diligent members of the staff.

"That can't be pos..." But before she knew it, Miguel was gone, probably to go play that piano of his. Her head hurt. She'd have to knock back some ibuprofen before returning to work. Did the patients know, or would she just have to spring them loose out of nowhere? Half of these people weren't even fractionally ready to be sent out on their own. Maybe they'd be transferred? But if they were then Miguel was probably doing the papers for weeks without telling anyone about this at all, which would be... a shitty thing to do. And now she was out of orange slices, to boot.

A rotten start to, no doubt, a rotten month.

For a while Nikki just stood there, looking down at the floor. This is not ok. She opened her mouth to speak, but just clapped her hand over it. As she struggled the comprehend the situation, she felt a rush of rage flood over her. No. I’m not letting them do this. Nikki, in her bout of fury, didn’t notice the tears welling up in her eyes until she had to blink them away. With a muttered apology, she skittered out of the room. She should at least check on the patients; It would distract her. She briskly walked into Tim’s room, sending him a cold glare. Her morning glee was gone, and she didn’t feel like faking it. “Stop that, would you?”
Twin Fantasy Twin Fantasy

Last edited:
Just as soon as Ash had left her gates open, the steel barriers to her psyche promptly shut. Now was not the time to worry about interviews, or new jobs, or lost opportunities. Miguel had given her order, and if that paycheck was on the line she would be sure to do it correctly. Thirty days. 720 hours. If she divided her time correctly, Ashley would surely be able to replace this job.

Speaking of time, the work day was finally getting started. Despite the many questions she wanted to barrade forest with, Ash made her way to the door, before turning around. “Dan, I’ll take first shift watching the tapes. If anyone needs me, I’ll be there until lunch break.” A quick look at Daniel, then Jane, then everyone else, before Ashley took her leave as if this were still a normal work day.

( Twin Fantasy Twin Fantasy NivieApple NivieApple mentioned forest so @/Panda_Roleplays?)

((( Satanic Nightjar Satanic Nightjar L LadyLuckTakeTheWheel mikaluvkitties mikaluvkitties

Hey! Just reaching out to let you guys know we're getting the story underway, don't want you to get too far behind for your characters! We're entering into the start of breakfast/morning meds for the first day, let me know if posting is hard to keep up with and we'll work it all out!

EDIT: Also, if anyone is interested I figured I'd start up a Discord so we could discuss plotting and character interaction further!)))

Last edited:
Daniel blinked once, snapping out of a sort of daze of thought, when he heard his name and turned to face Ash as she spoke. When she walked off, probably to get to work, he let out an exasperated breath and stood up to his full height, lifting a hand to rub the back of his neck.

"Guess that leaves me on floor sweep and lock duty," he muttered. Going to work now felt odd, but he figured that until he or someone else thought of something better to do it was as good of a choice as anything. He left the room and headed up to the fourth floor to start his sweep. Downstairs, on the first floor, Daniel began checking the locks on every door systematically. Efficiency had always been a strong suit of his and he started at the back, surveying the level from the locker rooms to the front door and every window in between.

(((I have no idea what to do now lol I don't really know what my role would do in this situation SOS)))

((( FYI:

---"to answer your question, there's a lot your character could do right now. They could either come and interact with Miguel, they could start looking into paperwork for the facility, maybe there's a loophole with the insurance if it burn down? They could interact with a favorite patient or nurse or guard, they could even go as far as being in cahoots with management to undermine the operation the whole time and they're getting a sweet check! It is a little slow in the beginning of the story"

---I'm keeping the pacing slower right now because everyone hasn't posted yet

---So generally all areas are video monitored so security can report suspicious activity, but yes after med pass and except for meals the patients are free to move. Obviously patients and nurses can kind of write out if sessions need to happen for therapy etc, but if Aaron wants to go to the library? Tim wants to come jam with Miguel? Free to move around

--- Start thinking about what your character might do to save/destroy/ignore the problem. Are they going to fall in love with a patient and try to run away with them? Are they going to try to seduce someone from management to keep the place in business? Are they going to find a nearby facility for sale and fund raise the money to get a new home? Are they going to plan an all out riot and break out before the month is up, trying to kill a nurse or two on the way out? ALL POSSIBILITIES! )))

Tim stared through the window. He was suddenly broken from his stupor by somebody bugging him. One of those nurses. Bitch. What gave her the right to tell him what to do? What on earth made HER the authority figure? If Tim were armed, he'd stab her right in the kidneys. It's what he would've done in Detroit, no doubt, though he had no prior blood on his hands of that sort.

His eyes were piercing as he stared lowly at Nikki, and the words peeled through his jagged teeth.

"Out my room, skank."

He didn't fucking need this shit.

Claire -- yes; yes, she was in control today -- jolted awake, cold sweat pouring from her forehead, and quickly inspected her pale hands for any sign of the blood that had coated them just a moment before. Nightmares. Again. Reliving the same goddamn moments time and time again, unable to escape. Claire, Ivy, and Belladonna all suffered from this same mental hell, this prison, and each night only brought more torture.

She closed her eyes, trying to calm down, slowing her breathing and her racing mind thoughts. Stared around the room; the walls, the ceiling, distantly making note for the millionth time of how unbelievably boring this place was. One shade of paint for the whole place, no color to break up the monotony.

Habitually, she looked at the journal she'd been using the night before, searching for any new messages that would at least provide some relief from the boredom that was settling in. Absolutely nothing - a blank, empty page. Groaning, Claire dragged herself out of bed, stealing a quick glance at the mirror. She looked worse than she felt, still infected with the horrible case of bedhead that never seemed to leave her alone. She also noticed that the nurse was not following their usual routine - she was alone in her room.

Despite the size of the room, claustrophobia set in when she realized this. Silently returning to the bed, she tucked her knees into her chest and hid her face, gently rocking back and forth.

Nikki sharply inhaled before simply closing her eyes and smiling. She wasn't used to this level of sass from Timothy, but she was quick to respond. "I wouldn't be sure if I wanted to say that, Timothy. Don't speak when there are things you don't know." She hissed, still smiling. Though her smile was bright and cheerful, it didn't reach her eyes. They showed a hurricane of anger, sadness, shock, and fear. Without another word Nikki swiveled around and slammed the door, sighing once she was in the hallway. For a moment she just leaned against the wall, running her hand through her hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back