Advice/Help Character Sheets

BoopThatSnoot

the snoot must be booped
Hey Y'all.
It' my first time here on RPNation, but I'm far from new to RP.
Over my years, I've gone through many 'types' of character sheets. Long and excruciatingly detailed, short and vague, somewhere in the middle...
I was wondering if any of you had any tips on making good character sheets, in your opinion. As I looked through the Forums, I noticed that there is not one style for character sheets.
Please, any ideas would be of great use to me!
Thanks! :closed eyes open smile:

My best advice is look at what other people have submitted in terms of sheets ( especially the ones that are approved )

In groups especially the owner of the thread will usually give you specific instructions.

In 1x1 honestly just ask your partner.

Everyone is different so there really isn’t any universal tips

There's this older thread about character sheets, you might want to take a look intoit to see more people's opinions: Character Sheets - ❝ character sheets , what say you ? 「 yes/no 」❞

Basically, it varies in each RP. It's common sense for the thread creator to provide a template if they want character sheets, and then they'll say whether they allow you to add more stuff to it or not. As for my personal opinion, it's there on the thread I linked.

Honestly, I'm new to character sheets and this site as well. I don't need them as long as you point me in a general direction and give detail while RPing such as what your character looks like, etc. Do not be detail shy if you aren't equipping with a character sheet. However, in my personal opinion, I do not care for photos, I do care for detail though. Background information about your character even gives me what to actually poke around for in the RP. I only do 1x1 RP's and usually fandom romance. So, I like detail of your characters past, good and bad, maybe small details on even where your character grew up, appearances, age, name, stuff like that, but the more detail the better. A character sheet I think doesn't exactly need to be organized, I certainly cannot organize them since more ideas come as I write them even though I got an idea what I'm going for before I start.

Honestly, I'm new to character sheets and this site as well. I don't need them as long as you point me in a general direction and give detail while RPing such as what your character looks like, etc. Do not be detail shy if you aren't equipping with a character sheet. However, in my personal opinion, I do not care for photos, I do care for detail though. Background information about your character even gives me what to actually poke around for in the RP. I only do 1x1 RP's and usually fandom romance. So, I like detail of your characters past, good and bad, maybe small details on even where your character grew up, appearances, age, name, stuff like that, but the more detail the better. A character sheet I think doesn't exactly need to be organized, I certainly cannot organize them since more ideas come as I write them even though I got an idea what I'm going for before I start.
There's this older thread about character sheets, you might want to take a look intoit to see more people's opinions: Character Sheets - ❝ character sheets , what say you ? 「 yes/no 」❞

Basically, it varies in each RP. It's common sense for the thread creator to provide a template if they want character sheets, and then they'll say whether they allow you to add more stuff to it or not. As for my personal opinion, it's there on the thread I linked.
usually, the more detailed the better, but thats my opinion
My best advice is look at what other people have submitted in terms of sheets ( especially the ones that are approved )

In groups especially the owner of the thread will usually give you specific instructions.

In 1x1 honestly just ask your partner.

Everyone is different so there really isn’t any universal tips

Thank you all so much!

When it comes to character sheets it may be worth noting that what you sheet you want to use depends on the type of roleplay you want to make. Roleplays that are more about fast-paced posting, that are very direct or which want to preserve a lot of mystery willl generally be more inclined to having smaller character sheets with less elements. Character sheets for more detailed and structured roleplays will tend to be bigger and more complex.

How much you want to have available in terms of info is also important and some even use character sheets as a means of "testing" their players to see if they are up to par with the required standards.

Your character sheet should have:
1. Basic information (name, age, etc...)
2. Relevant information (information that is significant for your particular RP)
3. Mis flavor information (is there anything regarding the characters that isn't so important in pratice, but is still relevant in terms of the lore of the RP? )

And then you can add more options that don't need to be the filed, the "optional" segments.

Personally, I prefer character sheets are long, complex, detailed and very, very important to me, they have to be concrete. It really irks me to hear things like "I'll come up with it in the roleplay" or "reveal it in the roleplay".

That said, that only touches the making of the template sheet. If you want to go into character design, then we go into a whole other rabbit hole. If you want that, I point you to this post right here. Advice/Help - Advice on character building?

Hope this helps! I wanted to reply earlier, but have been a bit sick...

It’s really good if you kind of start off with a name or a song even (I do it with like all my characters, your choice tho) and kind of build off from there...

Hey Y'all.
It' my first time here on RPNation, but I'm far from new to RP.
Over my years, I've gone through many 'types' of character sheets. Long and excruciatingly detailed, short and vague, somewhere in the middle...
I was wondering if any of you had any tips on making good character sheets, in your opinion. As I looked through the Forums, I noticed that there is not one style for character sheets.
Please, any ideas would be of great use to me!
Thanks! :closed eyes open smile:
Hello! Please DM me.

Its Dibby

I don't user any particular character sheet . . . but I think something that covers the basics, a background/history, appearance, and an extra section is really the minimum you need. I guess how extensive a profile is really depends on what you want as the GM of an RP. Some people don't care for excess detail, so the focus is on more surface level, easy to consume at a glance profiles. While other people like really detailed, in depth profiles. I personally like develop as you go, give the basics, add as the world and characters actually develop into themselves through the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back