Experiences Character Death in an Rp

Kazig

Roleplay Type(s)
Basically on the title, I'm curious about times when your character or someone else's has died during an Rp. I hear a lot about how death of a player character is entirely possible in some Rps, but I've never actually seen it take place.

Common in dice, I don't really see it much in RP's though, last time I saw a character die... was around a year ago, maybe two. My character got fuckin' oofed in an MGS rp because I wasn't able to post anymore. RIP

A few months ago I had an old Mary-Sue of mine killed in a nuclear explosion. It was a mega fuckin oof and I’m curious to see how I top it.

In my dice rp we usually agree to not kill off characters unless a player wants to change their character. But technically it is possible to happen. No one died yet though.

In text rp... well I've got a fandom rp and the characters die in canon so it's probably how the rp will end - with canon deaths.

Aside from that, I had an rp where my character was killed by another player character without my consent. I didn't like it and left the rp.

Basically, don't kill people's characters if they didn't agree to it. That's my only rule for killing characters.

Anyway, in most cases I've seen, character death was used to end the episode in an rp and allow to change characters or to end the rp entirely.

It's only good if you love the character. I think the best I did was a character named Dominick Acacia. He started out as a pretty significant side character (the right-hand of the captain of the royal guard in a medieval fantasy RP). He was one of the few without significant magical powers, but amazing stealth and a master of poisons, not to mention an easy nature that made most like or trust him. He and the captain went on a mission to root out a rebelling noble family and in the fight, he got wrecked.

His death had some significant impact on the plot, but also on many characters as he'd been the glue between some relationships, though most of all the "good" half of the rebellious family sought to put in one of their own in his spot to help smooth things over and be able to keep tabs on the activity of the royal guards.

Oh, and Kevan - that asshole - died early in an RP and from that caused a few rebellions and other fun stuff after-death. His legacy lives on in spirit.

Basically I'm all for character death - but make it hurt.

EDIT: I forgot my main Seren! Given, it got to the end of the RP, and it was a Faustian Contract deal - character sold her soul and she accomplished her goal. But she didn't try to weasel out of the deal or anything, and the demon feels were beautifully written by my partner~

To my memory, character death happened thrice in RPs I was involved in. The first time it happened to me was actually my first RP here on this site. It was a simple fantasy RP, and by the end of it, I accidentally caused a situation which forced my partner's character to kill herself, thus ending the RP.

The other times it happened was during a pair of D&D campaigns.

In my first D&D campaign I played this young dragonborn druid and during character planning it ended up getting arranged that a certain other player's character would have found my character's egg and raised them from hatching, effectively being their guardian. They would travel and adventure together, however at one point, that person and our local tiefling went out while the others were asleep and bumped into a camp of goblins. Our tiefling player thought they could take them and jumped in, which resulted in the death of my character's guardian, though the goblins WERE defeated by the end. Then the tiefling ate the other PC's remains.

In another campaign, I played a man named Jake Spear, once hired to design the torture and execution of traitors, he ended up going insane when his own designs were used against him when accusations popped up. With a reasoning I won't get into here, he killed those he thought lived glorious lives, and then assumed their identity or just wrote down some poetry about them. At the time the campaign started, he was impersonating the tyrant king of the city, and unexpectatly his farse was found before the group could even set out on their actual quest, thus resulting in a mad escape from the guards, until my character was captured...by our own lawful good paladin dragonborn. This same dragonborn would later come to interrogate my character on a ship, and end up deciding there was no hope for my character, so he threw him off the ship where he was promptly eaten by the dragonborn's dragon mount.

In D&D I just killed a player, but in table tops I think it's a lot easier. Bitch ate one attack and was down, then went and failed his 3 death saves. Dumb bard bitch!

I did kill a character in a play-by-post roleplay; my partner and I sat and cried while writing it. We had the perfect song and the death was really emotional and heartbreaking for us. Legit tears, two adult women sitting in a study back to back at our computers with the song playing, typing posts back and forth, balling out eyes out! >D

I've had several of my characters die in role plays, through various different ways. (A few main, but more often than not a side character.)

I was role playing a high school setting, and my main (Lilly) and his secondary character (Pheobe) were competing for his main characters (Ivans) attention. After being sent a video of Pheobe seducing a drunk Ivan, she confronts Ivan, not knowing where Pheobe is.

Pheobe taunts her the next day in school as to how Ivan picked her over Lilly, but Ivan overhears this and corrects her, saying it was just a drunken bunk up and he loves Lilly. She screams and tries to kill Lilly, but upon failing, kills herself. (This is naturally a very compressed version of the story if you're wondering why it's a bit of a sudden leap, it made sense with all the fluff and context added.)

I also had a alternative universe fandom, where the evil side won story. My character was the second in command (and sort of lover of the overarching commander, who we are going to call LV, although that relationship was complicated in itself) in this new world.

(My character was 19 for the majority of it, although we did spend quite a bit of time with them as younger teens establishing this romance. He didn't know this at the time but his father was a double agent, who LV thought was working for him but was actually working for the resistance. Sorry this does get quite complicated. She tells him that her parents are embroiled in this war and to stay away from her despite their feelings, as she figures sooner or later she'll be dragged into this war.)

It then skips to four years later, when they are both 19, after he's realised his father is a double agent. Joshua (their character), still harbouring feelings for my character, writes her a letter, saying he'd like to see her one last time before he has to leave. She agrees and they meet up, but he finds out her life isn't going to plan so to speak.

She's engaged to LV (who is about 55) even though she still has a soft spot for Jonathan. Jonathan is heartbroken by this news, but doesn't let it show, pretending to her that he was hooking up with some old friends before he leaves for his new life.

He decides to stay and secretly team up with his father to take down LV, while trying to edge Lileath (my character) away from LVs influence (under the guise of "we're just friends"). That starts to be successful as he keeps LV busy with a sudden spike in resistance attacks.

However, their main rebellion fails to kill LV, instead getting his father killed in a particularly nasty way by Lileath. LV and Jonathan fight, and LV wins, although he fails to kill Jonathan, who grabs Lileath and escapes with her.

Lileath then has a huge row with Jonathan, telling him to let her go, as he'll be killed if he doesn't. He refuses and she tries to escape so he can flee and not be horribly murdered, but fails, leaving her now trapped with the resistance. The resistance then betrays Jonathan, killing him and torturing Lileath, and LV comes just as they execute her, which causes him and his squad of people to murder everyone in the room.

The story (yeah having both the main characters die didn't end the story) then continues with LVs descent into hatred and madness, as although Lileath had some very questionable morals she was like his moral centre. Her guilt from dying and sending LV into this hateful broken state stops her getting rest in the next life, just as Jonathan's guilt over Lileath's torture does for him. They end up coming back as ghosts and spend the next part of the story coming to terms with what they've done in their lives, and when they do that they eventually find peace and move into the next life together.

What started off as just a casual high school fandom flick got really deep and meaningful, and its definitely up there with one of my best role plays (it has now sadly finished).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back