Character Creation

Red Shadow Claws

Six Thousand Club
I am atatching links to four documents. The General Mechanics, and the Character Creation docs are the most important. Unless you decide to play a Shugenja, the Spells doc is irrelevant to you.

I will allow Shugenja, Ninja and Monks to learn Kiho.

And Bushi can learn Kata.

General Mechanics:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MNBHw4qTaJjMje-y0poNF1K5dJVYTufD5UENiIIcuuc/edit?usp=sharing

Character Creation

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1usjNaFftGYWjFn2iWfEQPiRxEab00LzSdJ_afJMx7V8/edit?usp=sharing

Spells

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1REKFsHbRNdHNFWgv2xg8-Y25NovWDG0ziICGBnJiZHE/edit?usp=sharing

Kata, Kiho, and Tattoos

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wkvukqSNSS6N-18pLRnF3OrEqUodk1abhGkgUIZ3vpc/edit?usp=sharing

I would suggest first coming up with a concept for your character.

The rules can follow after, and if you need any help, let me know. I would be happy to start you off.

A beginning character starts with 2 in each trait, and no skills, except those granted by his school. And after character creation, you have 40 xp to spend on  advantages/disadvantages/ancestors/skills/traits.

Be sure to note, you cannot get mroe than 10 points from disadvantages, and cannot buy more than 15 points of advantages.

given that our characters were raised at the imperial cort, are the more esoteric Schools like Battle Maiden and Beast Master available?

Ok, to clarify.

Your characters were raised wherever you want, within reason. This game will follow though on the exploits of my regular gaming group, who are the ones who were raised in court, as hostages. Their exploits, and occasional appearances in court, will be part of the backdrop for your characters to draw upon.

Naturally, since you will be in the Imperial Court most of the time, mostly because the Empress and her Court will travel to Winter Court as well, and that rotates, it makes more sense for Courtier characters, but I am not limiting you, iof you believe you can gain advantage over others by playing a Bushi/Artisan/Shugenja/Monk/Ninja.

can't read 124 pages.

too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't read 124 pages.

too long.

You don't need to read all of this. But there are a few parts essential which take maybe 5 pages. Then you only need to read a few things that pertain to your character. And you can always ask here. 

As @solyrflair said, there is no need to read the entire document.

let's start with you giving me an idea of the kind of samurai you want to play, and which of the 'classes' interests you, and I can help you narrow it down.

ok. umm looked for class, could only find stuff about overweight and spears.

ok. umm looked for class, could only find stuff about overweight and spears.

There are three basic "classes" in Legend of the Five Rings: Bushi (warriors), Courtier (diplomats and manipulators) and Shugenja (mage-priests who communicate with the spirits of the world). However, what you choose for your character is the School at which they were trained, the school then falls into one of those basic categories.

For instance, if you want a fighter who could stand against a hundred lesser men, unmoved like a mountain you might go for a Hida Bushi who are famous for their strength and resilience. If you want a famed duelist who can split a hair on her opponents head before they have even drawn a sword, you want the Kakita Bushi School. 

Alternatively, for a master of elemental magic, there are none better than the Isawa Shugenja school, whereas the Shogo school specializes in casting magic unseen so that it can be applied with greater subtlety.

Courtiers also come in many stripes, from the Doji who with great flair will try to work out a deal that satisfies everyone (but favors them the most), to the Kitsuki investigators who will bring such pesky things as facts into the matter.

If you want to read a bit more before trying to shape your character, check out page 10-12 in the Character Creation doc for the major Clans and Families, and page 16-38 for their Schools.

BTW, if anyone wants, and has Skype, when I am home, we can go on Skype to create your characters.

Bayushi Scorpion:

A bushi has 3 important traits: Agility (Melee attacks), Strength (Melee damage), and Reflexes (Defense). In addition to that, as someone who operates in court, you will need to up your Awareness (most social skills).

If you play a Bayushi Bushi who also came from the Bayushi Family (You can decide to come from another family within the Clan), You gain +1 Agility from the Bayushi Family Bonus, and +1 Intelligence from the School Bonus.

Now, you need to decide who this character is. Pages 7-8 in the Character Creation give you a list of 20 questions to answer. I REQUIRE each of you to post the answers to those questions, and then we can build the character, and buy advantages, and disadvantages, according to what the answers are. And maybe some things you'll want to buy will influence your answers.

@KAmber what kind of character you wanna play? is it the scoundrel type Bushi? there are a few others... Like the Kasuga (Turtle), Yoritomo (Mantis), and Tanuki (Tanuki), to name the more obvious ones...

OK, so we have @solyrflair playing a Phoenix, @Esbilon playing a Crane, and @Epiphany playing a Scorpion.

Of the Great Clans, that leaves the Lion, Mantis, Dragon, and Unicorn, but it also leaves the entire Minor Clans open.

@KAmber You could play someone from another Clan, that studied at the Bayushi Bushi school. That would require you to buy the Different School advantage,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back