Character concepts

My hope is to play a samurai girl. I don't need a feudal society to play it in, but looking at a rural background where the samurai are local leaders. She would be a daughter of one of the samurai, possibly posing as a diplomat for her area to external regions or perhaps a city. She would be seen as old flash ironed or possibly backwards for following old ways, much like a moonshiner from the mountains heading to the capital. 

When it it comes to magic, she has no capability to cast spells or manipulate magic. But she has old magic, items carried from ancient days. Two sword, some armor, and some other trinkets. But not everything she has is magical. Some of it is just old. And her ways are also old. 

She has a long code of honor. In the rural areas the local leaders are also responsible for defense, so they are predominantly the only warriors in the area. But that responsibility comes with it a way of acting toward their peers and to those whose defense they provide. There are many small details to their code and it isn't exactly the same as a samurai from feudal Japan, but it might fit the trope. 

@Ixacise I want to play as a Pop Diva with Bunny Ears. She'd be buffing people with her songs, or cursing/debuffing foes with her songs. She'll probably originate from a modern city, but I can have her go to a rural area, for publicity stuff. I'm unsure what else to add, but that's the main concept. I'll probably flesh out the personality/history, once you post a section to post our characters. I know there's a template in the OVA.

Yeah, but do you want us to post like the character template sheet from OVA, or do you have another way to order information? @Ixacise

I really don't care how you do it.  The only issue I have with the OVA sheet is the limited space for the combat moves but that's not really a big deal for now.

However if you were to make your own write up then it's just very basic things I want such as: name, sex, appearance (written and or image), personality, brief backstory summary, and then your mechanical information.

I can probably get everything worked out except for the backstory. I think you mention Alviria in the intro. Don't know if that is the city, the country, the continent or the world. So I don't know if I can really do much on backstory except what I already handed out. 

Do you have any more information about the world we will play in?

Alvira is the world name.

Anyway I'm pretty partial to making stuff up and working on it together and then integrating into the world at large. 

My hope is to play a samurai girl. I don't need a feudal society to play it in, but looking at a rural background where the samurai are local leaders. She would be a daughter of one of the samurai, possibly posing as a diplomat for her area to external regions or perhaps a city. She would be seen as old flash ironed or possibly backwards for following old ways, much like a moonshiner from the mountains heading to the capital. 

When it it comes to magic, she has no capability to cast spells or manipulate magic. But she has old magic, items carried from ancient days. Two sword, some armor, and some other trinkets. But not everything she has is magical. Some of it is just old. And her ways are also old. 

She has a long code of honor. In the rural areas the local leaders are also responsible for defense, so they are predominantly the only warriors in the area. But that responsibility comes with it a way of acting toward their peers and to those whose defense they provide. There are many small details to their code and it isn't exactly the same as a samurai from feudal Japan, but it might fit the trope. 

Ok, so you're looking at a rural background but don't necessarily want a feudal society and that's fine.  Right so my mind is sort of flashing back to the social situation of the gentry and aristocrats intermingling out in the countryside of England as described in various Jane Austen novels more specifically Persuasion because I believe the characters were actually nobility albeit dead bottom on the rankings as opposed to bourgeoisie. Anyway to get back to your character what I'm imagining is that she's some sort nobility whose father owns an estate out in the countryside which is their source of income. As for the exact ranking of the samurai in their society that's up to you really. All I know is that historically their positions bounced around depending on the time frame. But I'm kinda of picturing them in  their Edo period position where they still had some power and wealth but they no longer were warriors but now just desk jockey of sorts working in the government in bureaucratic positions. But suffice to say they're still gonna be higher than commoners even if they're no longer top dog anymore.

I'm seeing that her country is a nice stable prosperous time where her peers are now living in these cities although they may have other housing elsewhere and that there's a discriminatory element between these supposedly refined cosmopolitans looking down at her and the family for living out in the countryside among the farmers and whatnot. Mind you I'm not saying she's poor per se, her family is wealthy enough to live comfortably enough and afford to have her well educated. But when compared to these cosmopolitan peers they definitely pale in comparison. Perhaps her family declined a bit and now lives in the countryside  due to that or they just like living there for other reasons which will still get looked down on. And this discriminatory element of her being looked down for being poor/backwards  at least to me is a big character thing  in being a defining element to the character's motivation and potential a plothook for later shenanigans involving her country. 

Regarding your character's country it can be this mix of cosmopolitan areas and your rustic backwoods agricultural areas. Maybe the area she and her family inhabits is like in some rough geographical territory and perhaps it doesn't really have anything that valuable so the government kinda neglects it since it's not as important as other areas. Also I'd like to say that geographically even if it's inspired by Japan it doesn't have to be an island.  There's gonna be a macguffin tied to the Imperial Regalia analogues either one of the three treasures is the macguffin or they lead to a location. Other than that I don't have that much amount of guidelines so go wild.

Anyway with the world at large it's pretty vague since it's just really window dressing for exotic locales to traverse while going on this journey that will end in saving the world.  However I can definitely  give more chunks of details out.

So the default area we're starting in is called Gradois and it's having a Carnival/ Mardi Gras type celebration which will involve lots of tourists/foreigners, activities, music, and most an event showing off an artifact said to be from an ancient age.  Of importance of the artifact is that there's this cross-event involving the ancient culture it's linked to which is of great interest to it's neighboring country of Valzim a country where magic users is high to the point of having its own Grand Council of Magos who are basically a bunch of wizard scholars with a penchant for archeology of the arcane and also run a big college for magicians one of the top ones in the world.  Since both nations have similar origins to this ancient and mysterious civilization it's sort of a friendship thing that took a lot of work since said artifact is priceless and rare.  So there's gonna be amidst festivities cultural exhibits and history stuff.  Also speaking of Mardi Gras and Carnival imagine if Venice and New Orleans had a baby and that's kinda what the city is like.  Bunch of canals, old buildings, bayous, and lots of touristy spaces with music and stuff and loads of humidity.  

Another noteworthy nation is that of the Kingdom of Hector and their big thing is that their venerable King Trent died pretty abruptly and now the eldest son, Marcus now has gotten crowned and had some sort of undisclosed accident which has left him acting a bit strange but no one has done anything about it because they just assume there is the element of grief and the accident weighing him down.  There is a bit tension in the air due to just not wanting a succession crisis happening on top of a competent ruler suddenly dropping dead. This nation has a history of infighting due to being not too long ago a string of independent nations before getting reunited which was helped by a bunch of rogue warlocks and their pet monsters looking for a place to take over.  They have some slight tensions with Valzim as they believe the wizards were part of this Council of Magos who due to poor oversight managed to cause a bunch of destruction and whatnot using powerful magic. This has yet to be confirmed by the Council  though. This nation is located a further north than the other countries and it's pretty generically European and very temperate in region.

There's some other nations but they're not really important for to know about. The Jelly people don't particularly care for human interaction and confine themselves to a bit further off from people although there is connection between them and the other nations.  The Salamanders inhabit an filled with a bunch of lakes and  fresh water although they do and can live elsewhere but it is most comfortable for them to be wet.  The beast people have  rivalry of sorts that has turned violent with the Raptors as they both like to be in the forest although with their penchant for machinery that forest needs to be cleared out and they've been slowly taking to steppes and plain areas that are super flat and open for their construction.

@Ultraman

Yeah go ahead and make stuff up.  You can make up your country too but will take a bit more collaboration just to make sure it has something for the players to do with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am developing my character, but I need to know the weakness/abilities ceiling, and if certain skills are banned, etc. @Ixacise Are we choosing abilities/weakness till they even out at 0, or do we have a ceiling of 10, with a roll of 5. Basically, we start off with +5 abilities, but in order to have +10 abilities, we need -5 weaknesses.

16 points

Knowledge is half a point per rank and can be taken multiple times obviously for each new field

Everything else is 1 point per rank

You can get an extra 4 with weaknesses

So 20 total points/ranks to distribute stuff into.

Softcap of 3 on abilities with an intent on diversification of abilities and later growth.

I have the basic outline of the character sheet up for my character. I'll get this filled in over the next couple days. I am still trying to get used to formatting, but wasn't very successful, so I'll do this by hand. 

Also, I haven't built a character under this system before. I have a good idea of how the basics work, but attacks confuse me slightly. I know I'll have two weapons, katana and wakazashi, but I wanted to try to build different attacks using them. So I might need some help with that bit, once the stats get posted. 

Well you got two types of attacks. Your regular attacks which just deal damage and consume no endurance, and the other attacks which do and have additional effects. Although doing a stronger attack that eats endurance is fine too.

I have the basics of the character up. Still need to plan out some of the combat abilities, but as i read OVA, I get a better feel for things. If you could look over the Abilities and Weaknesses and make sure i did things right, that would be great.

I'll have more input later tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back