• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter VII: Revelations

Maggie tried to find a comfortable balance between being close enough to Dina to grab her if she lost her balance and fell, and remaining where the priestess herself felt safe. It was rather a relief when Violet moved up next to Dina instead, though after a moment's thought Maggie wasn't surprised. Of course Violet would see to Dina's safety! The priestess half-smiled, then edged just close enough to look for what the others were looking at. "What's an ashari*?" she asked.

*The misspelling is deliberate. She isn't pronouncing it quite right because the cliff edge's nearness distracted her too much to hear it properly.

"Azshari." It was Violet who corrected Maggie, not Dina. "I mentioned them earlier, after we had fought off the... corrupted mountain wolves," she said, including a brief pause during which she presumably pondered how to refer to whatever the creatures that had attacked them were. "They're the original hounds of the Taint, so to speak. At the source, in the corrupted part of Raziel's temple on Sandpeak Mountain, that's what the Taint used to attack us. In contrast to the wolves, these Azshari were more akin to... constructs, I suppose. Things of rock and crystal brought to life through some dark sorcery, merely resembling canine creatures."

The shadows below continued to shift; hints of movement, and more than that at times, appeared at random points - suggesting the shapes and features that Violet described. It was impossible to tell how many there were, or what they were up to exactly.

"That's what's down there," she said. "It would seem that the Taint has infested this whole mountain peak. Perhaps even the entire Frostbacks. Or it's starting to. And as we've witnessed, its influence is not contained just to the tunnels and the caves that run beneath. This is really bad," she said, more quietly. Turning her attention to Carn, she told him: "Our mission here is far too important to risk getting in scuffles with the Taint. It doesn't appear as if its beasts are aware of us, and we should keep it that way."

"Aye," Laurolf agreed. "There'd be no climbin' these walls, that's for sure, but alerting them could spell grave misfortune for us down the road, for who knows what lies ahead?"

Violet nodded. "Let us proceed carefully and get back up there. We need to catch up with the dragonhunters as soon as possible. Laurolf, lead the way?"

"Aye," the dwarf nodded back, already starting down the narrow path.

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

Carn hadn’t realized the Chosen’s presence remained unnoticed by the creatures (at least for now). When Violet pointed that fact out, Carn gave an affirmative nod, silently placing his weapons at rest. However, despite seeming reserved, Carn was slightly embarrassed he’d let his apprehension and instincts lead him towards a hasty conclusion. With this little moment, Carn realigned himself with finding the portal, which held more importance than the Taint. Still, to be safe, Carn remained at the back of the group in case those things began following them.

"Oh!" Maggie replied to Violet's explanation. "Yes, of course, I forgot. Sorry." She hastily followed Laurolf, chagrined at having forgotten so soon. Careful to keep close to the rock wall beside them, she glanced from time to time at the drop on the other side of the path. Then she realized what she was doing, and her chagrin returned twofold. Don't be such a ninny, she scolded herself. Have faith. It's not creeping up on you. She hoped no one could see her face, behind her as most of them (probably?) were, because she could feel her cheeks heating. Deliberately, but (she hoped) unobtrusively, she shifted so that she wasn't quite so close to the wall as she walked.

Asher looked at the bridge as well, but knowledge on ancient constructions was not really something a city thief would have, at least not enough to have an opinion on it. He did wonder how one would go about building something that large in an area so remote. Magic, probably.

He considered climbing up there for a second, but decided not to. Even if he could or wanted to do it, it would take him a better part of the day.

Unnerved by the presence of possibly hostile unknowns, Asher was glad that there was so much distance between them and those Azshari. A dragon was more than enough to worry about at the moment.

If what the Drakkar mentioned about there being a signs of a scuffle on the bridge was true, then the fight with the dragon was already going on. Asher crossed his fingers hoping that the hunters took care of it by now. He kept that to himself and continued on with the group.

Ingvar Sindram
- Seeker of the Maker -​

The voices of the huntsmen shouting were snatched away by the claws of the howling wind, the bridge above him suddenly alarmingly far away and becoming ever more distant. Ingvar's mind raced to organise his scattered thoughts as he plummeted backwards, admittedly not helped by the dizzying sight of the chasm walls flying past him at a terrifying pace.

Too fast - I cannot... how to stop?

His beard and furs billowed about him, whipping against his face and tangling his limbs. His arms and legs were at the mercy of the winds as he hurtled through the air like an unstrung puppet, and Ingvar increasingly struggled to hold back the overwhelming sense of helplessness that kept infringing on the edges of his mind.

I have no control, he realised. I have no way of reaching the sides of chasm, and even if I did, my shoulder is injured and I would not be able to hold on. At this height, there is no question I will die. I cannot trust in my body. All I have... is my faith.

Ingvar relaxed, and even though the wind was as loud as ever, the cold just as biting and the abyss just as dark, the old dwarf felt the growing anxiety for his fate melt away.

But when has it ever been any other way for every work of our Creator that ever walked his good earth?

Stretching out his arms, he closed his eyes and set his mind to making supplication of the Creator who had made him. O great and merciful Creator - you alone gave life to all things and you alone know all things... from the moment you placed my first breath upon my lips, every breath thereafter has been a gift from you. If this be my final breath, I receive it with all my heart. But if it be your will that I have tasks yet unfinished, I surrender myself to your divine protection...!

Ingvar's eyes burst open, and for that instantaneous moment, he couldn't tell whether the light that seared his vision was the icy white of the sky and snow or the incandescent gold of divine providence. Whatever it may have been, it was but an instant, for his senses were once again torn from him and darkness took the old dwarf.

INGVAR casts Great Divine Shield as he makes impact.

Date: October 12th (Sunday), year 3321
Weather: Overcast, gloomy, and cold.

• Around 14:00 h
    Somewhere in the Frostback Mountains

The Chosen continued along the side of the chasm, following in Laurolf's careful and steady footsteps. Before too long they'd completed half a circle, placing them directly underneath the far side of the bridge. Unfortunately, it was completely inaccessible from here. It would take not just an expert climber, but an expert climber with the right gear to even attempt scaling the cliff. A similar-looking platform of rock greeted them, allowing everyone to get off the narrow path and take a short break.

The tunnel opening ahead seemed straightforward at first, but on closer inspection, just a little ways inside, it split into two tunnels.

"It looks like a secondary branch to me," Laurolf concluded. "I'd have us stay on what appears to be the main path."

Neither of the tunnels seemed to be ascending. Looking back and over the edge of the abyss, they could still spy a hint of movement here and there. The Azshari were still active beneath them, and hopefully ignorant of the fellowship's passing.

Ingvar Sindram
- Seeker of the Maker -​

It was difficult to attribute his bleariness more to the fact that he had just fallen what felt like the entire height of the mountain or to the near-impenetrable darkness that he found himself in. It took a moment for Ingvar's thoughts to catch up with his returning senses, and as such his initial response to the first bolts of pain coming from all over his body was largely unappreciative. However, the subsequent realisation that the pain indicated that he was despite all odds still alive gave way to a deep gratitude.

Oh, praise the Creator... I yet live.

The dwarf began to check over his body for injuries, though it wasn't a question of 'whether' rather than 'where'. Although not bruised, his arms and legs felt painfully sore, as if they had overexerted themselves carrying a great weight. There was bruising on his lower torso, and his shoulder (which he'd hit quite hard when the dragon swept him off the bridge) was particularly tender.

It's far too dark to see anything clearly, he thought as he tried to prop himself up, half-feeling his way as he went. Perhaps some light might be- wait. Is there...?

He was about to beseech the Creator to illuminate the area when his attention was drawn to a patch of darkness behind him. Of course, being surrounded by darkness, there was nothing for him to see, but despite this Ingvar could not shake the feeling that he was not entirely without company. And from his experience, what lurked in the cover of shadow often did so with hidden teeth.

Perhaps my years are catching up with me... nevertheless, it would be prudent to be ready, he decided.

Rising to his feet and planting his stance firmly, Ingvar closed his eyes (there was almost no difference in his vision) and murmured in hushed tones, 'O gracious Creator, I thank you for the boundless mercy you have shown on your undeserving servant, so much that you delivered him from certain death. Let the way ahead be revealed by your light, that my footsteps be strengthened by your will, swift to walk the path you have set before me!'

INGVAR takes a fighting stance and casts Light.

Last edited:
Faron Firestorm

- The Fiery Brawler -

Faron was a bit relieved as the dragon was fleeing. However, when he was turning aside, he was immediately startled by the fact that Ingvar got knocked over the bridge and was on the brink of life and death. The Drakkar had to do something. Without a second thought, Faron sprinted towards Ingvar as quickly as possible, then got on his knees and attempted to spread his arm to get a hold of the Dwarf.

Unfortunately, he was not fast enough. In fact, he was only a split second behind in his attempt to grab Ingvar’s hand, but that split second was enough to make a drastic difference. Faron was helpless to save the Dwarf at that point and left with no choice but watching him fall into the chasm. The Drakkar then had a flashback about how he also failed to save his friend, Ghamorz, years ago. An intense surge of guilt passed through him, again. He could have saved Ingvar, but he did not make it. He stared down angrily while gnashing his teeth and rapidly gasping for air. He was about to punch the ground, but eventually decided not to do so due to the fear of accidentally collapsing the bridge altogether.

Faron’s other comrades soon arrived. He expected to be punished for failing to save Ingvar, and was kinda surprised that none of them blamed him. What amazed him even more was that they seemed to be able to get over it so effortlessly. Getting over the loss of significant ones had always been the biggest challenge for Faron. Even the dragon he had just faced earlier did not came close. At that point, Faron did not really know what to say or do, except for following the hunters and continuing their journey, which he did because he had no other choice.

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When the Chosen stopped to rest, Carn leaned against the cliff face to then peer upwards at the large structure they should have already passed. If, perhaps, they'd left an hour earlier, they wouldn't be making this long, needless climb. They'd probably be with the dragon hunters (and Aron) by now. However, considering the earlier earthquake, Carn supposed he should be happy the group hadn't been trapped in a tunnel by rubble or swept off a cliff by an avalanche. Heck, this group hadn't yet needed to bare their arms. The dragon hunters did, his inner voice interjected. At that unpleasant thought, Carn, completely still and eyes closed, whispered a prayer of safety for the dragon hunters and his group as well as a prayer of thanks for this group's safety, albeit, the latter one being a bit snippy.

Upon learning the path diverged into two, Carn gave an inaudible, annoyed grunt that they were being faced with this issue. If the circumstances differed, he’d have suggested sending him and one other down a tunnel to check for the correct one, but with the potential danger down below, splitting up now was a far too dangerous option. With that in mind, Carn felt it right for them to stick together. As for which path to pick...

“I second Laurolf,” Carn nodded. Besides, Carn added in his head, a dwarf’s intuition was usually right when it came to reading the earth, usually.

"Me too," Maggie chimed in -- for much the same reason as Carn, though neither of them knew it. With the wider space, and faced with a choice of tunnels, her nervousness about the cliff edges had faded, which she was pleased about. It still felt sort of silly to be a priestess of the Maker and yet afraid of so simple a thing. She hoped it had just been the cumulative effect of cold, weariness, and everything else that had brought on what she saw as a weakness.

She raised her still-glowing* hand and went up to stand near the dwarf, plainly intent on lighting the way from near the front of the group. "If someone else wants to bear some light, let me know," she offered with a smile.

* Unless it's not, in which case she casts Light on her hand again when she raises it. But it doesn't seem like it's been a full hour yet?

• Around 14:30 h

Even having collected the affirmations of his comrades, Laurolf stared at the divergent tunnels for a short while longer, as if yet contemplating his choice of direction. Indeed, were it not for the dwarf's words, it would have been difficult to say which of the two tunnels could rightly be called the main path. They split off at an even angle and maintained the same elevation, though the one to the right was somewhat wider. That was the one that Laurolf led them down, or started to - when the silence was broken by a faint noise emanating from the other direction. Faint, but still loud enough to command everyone's attention.

It only grew louder. A peculiar scratching and shuffling, like pebbles moving underfoot. The feet of multiple creatures, running, judging by the cacophonous nature of the sound. The white glow of Maggie's divine light only reached about 30 feet before giving way to the absolute dark of the tunnel.

"Something's coming, and fast," said Violet, who had probably been the first to hear it. Her bow was already drawn, an arrow staring down the darkness.

Before long, from deep down the tunnel, a brief hint of bluish-purple glow betrayed the arrival of the two beasts described by Dina earlier as the Azshari, just before they came fully into sight. They stopped short at the edge of the light, but only for a moment, then leaped at the Chosen with an otherworldly hiss - specifically at Carn and Laurolf, who were closest.*

Violet had loosened her arrow by then, hitting her mark to no effect and switching immediately to her blade while ushering Dina to stay behind her.

*Let me know if this assumption is incorrect

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

Stifling was the word Carn would use to describe the tunnel. Not only was the cave a bit small for a drakkar, the darkness made walking through the path uncomfortable. When the scitterings became audible, the atomosphere made the sounds that much more threatening.

“Creator damn our misfortunes,” he cursed, before following with, “and may he bless our side.” It was a short pre-fight prayer he uttered before he readied his two weapons: a large shield made to parry blows and a broadsword to cleave foes. When the flush of violet hue appeared into view, Carn’s drakkar instincts and battle training anchored his body to position, allowing him to react appropriately when the creatures stopped and then proceeded to leap at them.

CARN readies himself to receive the creature with his shield, timing a shield bash enhanced with force magic. Cooperates with Laurolf in maintaining the frontline and will swing at a good opportunity.

Maggie had been closely trailing Laurolf and Carn (the better to light the way ahead) but now she immediately fell back a few paces to give them room to fight, and to the side of the tunnel (behind Laurolf) to give those behind her room for their ranged weapons. She kept her glowing hand raised as high as she could; being behind the dwarf rather than the drakkar meant that her light would be above his head rather than backlighting him, and she wanted to be sure everyone on her side could clearly see their attackers. Her other hand she closed and rested over her heart for a moment. "Maker shield you," she said quickly over Laurolf's head (since Carn had a shield he was preparing to use already).

Maggie casts Divine Shield on Laurolf.

Asher took out his crossbow and started loading a steel tipped bolt into it, hoping he'd have enough time to draw his shortsword once his right hand was free. Luckily, being in the back of the group, he wasn't a target for the beasts yet, but it also mean that him hitting any of them was a game of chance as the rest of the group was between. Asher needed to adjust his position to get a better angle, so he started moving to the side hoping the tunnel was wide enough.

Asher readies his crossbow and tries to get an angle on the Azshari.

Ingvar Sindram
- Seeker of the Maker -​

The moment he confirmed that he was not alone, Ingvar's mind deftly considered the possible courses of action - the creatures that lingered at the edge of the light that radiated out from his palm didn't appear poised to attack straight away, but the way they slinked about him were by no means friendly. He was very much in a dangerous spot, make no doubt about it - it was just a question of how he was going to get out of said spot.

Four-legged, and from the way they move as a group... nargyen, perhaps? I am in no condition to take on a pack of those fiends alone... I must flee. I cannot retreat up the pillar, that would be madness... taking refuge atop the rubble...? No, that would merely prolong my predicament, not solve i- what was that?

His light had caught on something and out of the corner of his eye he glimpsed a sinister flicker of purple. His mind could not help but flash back to the insidious crystal formations they had found embedded in the wolves they had fought in the snow. If the two were related, then these were likely not simple nargyen and he could be in even greater danger than he had initially surmised.

It appears I truly cannot linger here, he mused as his eyes darted about for any unexpected attacks. My best chance would be to try to find a way up the walls of the chasm. But I also need to delay the advance of my pursuers. It is time to...

Ingvar looked around at the shadowy creatures once more, taking notice of the way they steered clear of the radiance he had called upon with his prayers.

It appears they dislike the light of the Creator, he noted, before thinking, as befitting of true creatures of darkness. Then...

He waited until he caught sight of an opening among the shifting ranks of nargyen-that-were-not-nargyen, then dashed through it towards the nearest of the chasm walls, holding up the light in his hand in front of him to search for a crevice or a path upwards - any kind of route out of his predicament. As he did so, he threw his other hand behind him in the rough direction of the creatures, and cried, 'My Creator, hear the prayer of your weak servant - drive the darkness out of your good creation, so that all may behold your power and light!'

INGVAR runs towards one of the chasm walls in search of a way out while casting Piercing Light at the creatures behind him.

HYagOIa.jpg

Owing to Maggie's timely reaction, the first of the two leaping Azshari connected with a golden Divine Shield instead of directly hitting the dwarf - a good thing, for despite Laurolf's readiness to meet the arcane beast, it was easily the size of him and likely heavier for the materials it was made out of. It bounced harmlessly off of the Miracle, accompanied by a brief shower of golden sparks and a sound not unlike a localized lightning strike shortly before the shield itself disappeared. Laurolf seized the opportunity and began hacking at it with his war axe while it was momentarily stunned on the ground. Shards of rock and crystal flew this way and that among flashes of sinister purple light.

At the same time, a mere few feet away, Carn faced off against the second, identical-looking beast. Though protected by a more mundane shield, Carn's own size and weight proved sufficient to turn him into an immovable obstacle for the Azshari. His well-timed shield bash actually deflected the attacker, even if only owing to the augmentation of Force Magic behind it.

It was at this moment that Asher was able to find his opening, having gotten a clear shooting opportunity from up against the left side of the tunnel. Unlike Violet's arrow, Asher's heavy bolt left his crossbow to bury itself successfully in between two rock plates that made up the Azshari's head and neck. Though this did not have the fatal effect that it surely would have had on a real animal, it seemed to stun or disrupt the beast briefly, which meant that Carn, in turn, had the opportunity for the follow-up attack he was hoping for.

The drakkar's broadsword slashed against the Azshari with a dull clang - an ugly sound for any swordsman who cared about their blade - but then also a shattering sound as it went through a more fragile crystal formation on the Azshari's side, cutting off a large chunk of it.

In spite of having encountered an obviously difficult target in the Chosen, the Azshari did not seem reluctant to keep attacking - nor did they appear seriously hurt just yet. Laurolf did a number on the one that attacked him, but it was already back on its feet, snapping at him with such ferocity that the dwarf was forced to pull pack, lest he risk being bitten by those jagged, cursed crystal teeth. Violet remained behind next to Dina, her arm protectively holding the girl back; her arrows were ineffective and there was simply no room in the tunnel for more than two people to engage in melee with the Azshari without getting in each other's way.

Maggie stayed back to keep out of Laurolf's and Carn's way. Forgetting possible dangers behind in her focus on the one ahead, she even took a step or two down the tunnel-not-taken so that Violet, if she wanted to try shooting again, could have a clearer shot. "Maker, keep us all safe," she prayed quietly, and willed another Divine Shield around Laurolf.

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When his sword crashed into the creature, Carn felt the ringing within the grip of his sword. The vibration wasn’t the refreshing clang of metal against metal, or the disgusting feeling of slicing through flesh, but something entirely unfamiliar and alien. Without warning, the shuddering of his sword coursed through his arms and down his back, prompting Carn to resume his defensive stance in an instant, ignoring the visible chunk that’d fallen off the creature.

CARN resumes a defensive stance. Will block off a charge with his shield before striking with a force-amplified sword.

Faron Firestorm

- The Fiery Brawler -

As much as how distressed Faron was about what had happened to Ingvar, he knew that he had to move on and finish what his partner had started. Witnessing the combined strength of the three hunters being unable to move the door even a single inch, the Drakkar knew that he needed to take extreme measures. He took a few steps backwards to safely distance himself from others and ensure that nothing was on his way. Then, his body glowed brown brightly as the ground started to erupt as if there was an earthquake. Large boulders separated themselves from the ground, before merging and starting to ignite. The boulders soon formed a giant Magma Golem that was about twice as tall and large as Faron.

"If even this does not work, then I do not believe that anything else will," Faron thought for a bit before punching at the air in front of him. The golem soon mimicked what the Drakkar did, that time aiming at the closed gate and attempted to hit it violently.

Last edited:
Ingvar Sindram
- Seeker of the Maker -​

As the light burst anew from his hand, Ingvar felt a fresh wave of exhaustion with it followed by a flash of alarm as the light finally revealed the true form of his pursuers. He'd never quite seen anything like it - they appeared to be something like the earthen golems he had occasionally witnessed in his travels with some sorcerers in the past, but also something entirely different. The purple gleam was still reminiscent of the crystal-infested wolves he had seen earlier, but its malevolence was if anything even more resonant in these creatures. The one closest to the dwarf could be seen with particular clarity and a chill ran down his spine as he noted that unlike the golems he had seen before, the rocks and crystals that made up its body were not truly bound physically - even the head which held the pair of soulless, crystalline eyes that emptily returned his shocked gaze was afloat, disconnected from the rest of its bodily constituents.

The light faded, and suddenly all that was left was the remains of the glow in his other hand. There was no hesitation from the stalking shadows as they began to draw closer from the safety of the deepening shadows.

Ingvar did not see a way out.

Perhaps... this is where Ingvar falls.

The grim thought passed over his mind before he braced his resolve. I have lived a life for the glory of my Creator. I have spent my days pursuing, proclaiming and living out his truths. If this be the final time I commit myself to his light in this life, then regrets I have none. Now I - I... what is...

His mental prayer was interrupted by the oddest sensation in an already unusual situation - one that bid his head to turn upwards to look up above. At first, it was just a flaming light that he could only squint at, but as it cleared, what caught his eye caused his breath to catch.

What in all of good creation... could truly it be...?!

Even as he wondered, even as he trying to come to a decision about bringing himself to believe what he was seeing, he knew that the moment the light dimmed enough for him to discern its form he was absolutely certain as to what it was.

'The Winged Wolf...' he breathed.

It was a truly magnificent sight, so much so that Ingvar couldn't help but doubt the endless accounts of its ill-fated appearances that unforgivingly painted it as the bone-white harbinger of the Sorceress.

Are you truly the herald of that unholy disaster, O great beast? he wondered in uncontrollable awe. What dark tales surround you in the wake of the Sorceress, yet you appear with such radiance, as one crafted by the loving hands of the Creator himself... are these tales the unfortunate offspring of allowing imagination and fear to run amok? Are you but a victim of our bitterness, O Wolf?

The Wolf matched his gaze awhile, its deep emerald eyes peering into Ingvar's own blue ones, before turning away and lowering itself onto the ground, its back within easy reach even for the short dwarf.

Ingvar blinked slowly in mild confusion.

'Are you... intending that I... mount you?' he asked, still not quite sure if he was perceiving the Wolf's body language correctly.

Well, what's the worst that could happen... death by the jaws of a great wolf or by the assault of some fiendish creature of the dark, I leave this world either way...

With this thought, Ingvar grasped a fistful of the Wolf's fur and made to pull himself up onto its back.

Somewhere in the tunnels under the Frostback Mountains

A more cunning creature might have tried to find a way around, but the Azshari lunged mindlessly at Carn for the second time, and was once again repelled by the drakkar's shield and the raw strength behind it. Carn's quick follow-up attack was both better placed than the previous one, as well as more powerful with Force magic behind it. It not only cut clean through a crystal growth on the side of the monster's head, but actually took nearly half the head with it. It must have been a weak spot, for it proved immediately fatal. The thing fell on the ground and shattered into dozens of chunks and pieces of dead stone. Even the crystals themselves quickly faded and lost their glow, reduced to nothing but polished dark stones themselves.

To the right, Laurolf made good use of Maggie's second casting of Divine Shield to retake the initiative. The dwarf charged back at the previously weakened Azshari with his battleaxe held high, displaying full confidence in the magical protection bestowed upon him. There was a sudden flash of gold as the shield tanked a hit, and then the axe came down and buried itself with great force into the monster's relatively thin frame. Just like Carn, Laurolf must have hit a vulnerable spot as well - the second Azshari collapsed under it and fell to pieces, slain.

Dina came forward, standing next to Maggie at the mouth of the second tunnel. "It's alright. They're dead," she reassured her friends. "I felt the Taint's presence withdraw. Though it still lingers heavily around us. Beneath us," she added, staring at the darkness of the tunnel ahead.

The Chosen could breathe easy again, it seemed, but mere moments after Dina's observation, there was a new shuffling sound - this time coming from the other tunnel, not far from where she and Maggie stood. It was quiet and interrupted, like the cracking of pebbles underfoot. Someone or something was approaching, however hesitantly. Violet was beside Dina in a heartbeat, producing no sound other than that of her bow being drawn. Her grey eyes focused intently ahead of her, though not even the vision of a Shadow Elf could pierce such complete darkness.

Maggie sighed and relaxed in relief when the second Azshari fell to pieces. A short fight, and none of her friends hurt! She clasped her staff against her chest and bowed her head over it. "Maker, thank you," she prayed, briefly but fervently. It seemed she accepted Dina's word completely as to the Azshari being dead. Then new sounds came, and from a different direction. Her eyes flew open, and she whirled around to look down the tunnel she'd been standing near, staff now at the ready once more. Seeing nothing in the yawning darkness, she cast Light upon her free hand again and held it up and towards the tunnel she and Violet now faced. "It doesn't sound like more of them, at least," the priestess said hopefully, meaning the fallen Azshari.

Last edited:
Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When his sword felled the creature, Carn felt a little relief which settled further when Laurolf reduced the second creature to a pile of shards. Though, despite seeing the creatures' deceased status, Carn couldn’t help but poke at the crystals with his sword.

Dina came forward, standing next to Maggie at the mouth of the second tunnel. "It's alright. They're dead," she reassured her friends. "I felt the Taint's presence withdraw. Though it still lingers heavily around us. Beneath us," she added, staring at the darkness of the tunnel ahead.

Well, that's reassuring, Carn joked in his head, unsettled by the latter statement while still not believing completely that these things couldn’t somehow be reanimated by the dark powers that be. Though, he couldn’t deny they no longer posed a threat, for now. It'd probably better to put a good distance between them and the corpses than to stay and find out. At that moment, Carn could hear the noises of something approaching. He reacted quickly, carefully shuffling behind Violet in case he was needed for the frontlines once again.

Asher readied the next bolt and tried to get another opening, but the fight was over before that. He relaxed a bit, but quickly readied his crossbow again pointing it at the darkness of the side tunnel. He did his best to try and make out whatever it was that seemed to be approaching them.

We rarely experienced true darkness like this in the city, always at least a candle to help one see. It might be impossible to make anything out without resorting to Shadowmelding.

If he could not get a grasp on what was there, Asher was going to enter the Shadow Realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back