• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter VII: Revelations

This talk of closing portals the Sorceress holds power over, of enemies waiting behind the veil of this world different than his own shadows, and now of dragons, Asher felt like they were getting further and further away from their, no, his own goals.

Fighting the symptoms whilst ignoring the cause? Is that right?

It is true that he himself had no power against the Sorceress, if what the information presented today and what he read in the journal was to be trusted.

Maybe these portals hold some answers to her powers, as well as the means to stop them. I will assist the others for now.

Though, unless they need something stolen, I can do very little against a dragon .

Date: October 11th (Saturday), year 3321
Weather: A clear and cold Autumn sunset.

Around 18:30 h
The Great Hall, Tyr's Retreat

Raziel made no remark to Carn's defense, but the drakkar could feel the weight of the angel's gaze upon him, studying him. He had earned Uriel's attention as well, though the Angel of Light seemed ever so friendlier and more understanding in comparison. Maker only knew what they were thinking at that moment...

"I did not mean to imply that the fault was with Carn's team," Battojutsu offered, in way of apology.

"Yet they could have erred unknowingly, no?" Violet suggested.

"I'm not convinced that they have," Meric shook his head. "Something isn't quite right here. Carn and his team were investigating the area, they'd made their presence known among the villagers - yet no one thinks to warn them that a dragon is lurking nearby? So either they hadn't known - hadn't noticed a dragon living nearby - or that dragon just happened to be passing by at the same time. None of this makes sense."

"You can't hope to make sense of a thing until you learn enough about it," said a new voice, in a strong northern accent.

It belonged to a man standing next to Bann Teagan and the dwarven ambassador, Fyke. A man who hadn't spoken at all until then, but who'd been introduced at the beginning as Viktor Aiden Maksimir, the Bann of the Frigid Plains. The Chosen might have remembered that he was one of the few people missing at Ilhirel's table during the banquet in Alicante. Bann Maksimir looked like the very image of a powerful Folk. He was lean and tall, taller than most humans, pale of skin, and had the characteristic pair of canine teeth common to most Frigid Folk, clearly visible when he spoke to those near him. His outfit was equally betraying of his heritage, including a dark suit with a layered tailcoat with many fine details and colored trims. He conducted himself with the grace and finesse one would expect of royalty, yet his features were equally possessed of that feral appeal unique to the Folk. In many ways he was like Henvei (to the Chosen that had met him). The only somewhat atypical thing about him was his hair - black, where most Folk had blonde hair.

"And we do not yet have all of the information that is required," he continued. "Describe for me this dragon, please," the bann politely asked.

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

After the apology, Carn gave a silent sigh. More or less, he'd now forgiven Battojutsu, but as for Raziel… That thought was put on hold, for Carn felt that Raziel was staring at him, or through him. Carn's eyes slowly moved towards Raziel before they involuntarily snapped on his gaze. In that gaze, Carn saw a chilling indifference. At once, Carn bounced his eyes away, landing on the Angel of Light. Uriel’s sight was a tender and kind one. While the angel was very alien, she felt somewhat familiar. Though, not in the way that one has already made acquaintance with someone but in the way that one sees similarities between friends and strangers.

"Describe for me this dragon, please," the bann politely asked.

Carn snapped out of his daze.

“Y-yes,” Carn stuttered when he was caught off guard. Carn softly cleared his voice before speaking forwardly. “The dragon’s body was night black and lined with spikes. It also had two horns. Given its size, I presumed it was a young adult. That is what I saw until I was knocked down a steep slope.” Knocked down a steep slope. “That is all,” Carn said in his usual tone, though the volume was quieter. With that, his head dipped slightly.

Last edited:
The Bann of the Frigid Plains listened patiently to Carn's description, stroking his goatee and nodding along as each new detail was added. "Yes, yes, yes," he murmured, "That confirms my suspicions. You see, there have already been reports of this dragon in various locations around the Frigid Plains. Most curious, since dragons rarely come into the Plains. And now this wayward creature. Most curious, indeed..."

Natalis looked intrigued as well, and he wasn't the only one. "Where was it sighted before?" he asked.

Bann Maksimir thought about it for a few moments. "Near the northern mountain range, a few months ago. Then again, a little ways southeast of there, not long after. We were sure that was going to be the end of it, when a few weeks later it was reported again by a group of hunters near the edge of the wilderness, directly east of the City. The final time was just two weeks ago. It was seen by a merchant caravan traveling along the Royal Road."

"They could see it from the road?" Meric asked in surprise. "It was close, then. And apparently... making its way south?"

"So it would seem. Most curious, no?" Bann Maksimir mused once again.

Most of the people around the table looked quite perplexed about the whole thing, except for Laurolf of course, who more than anything else, looked about ready to go out and slay the dragon in question. There was no response from Raziel or Uriel, who appeared content to simply listen for now.

" 'Unprovoked' doesn't have to mean Carn's team did anything wrong," Maggie pointed out. Even though the conversation had moved on somewhat, she still wanted Carn to know someone else was on his side, even if it was a stranger. "It sounds like this dragon isn't acting like others. Could it be migrating, maybe? Do dragons migrate? Maybe that put it out of temper, and it just took it out on the first group of people it came across."

As she listened to the others, particularly Bann Maksimir, another thought struck her, and she added slowly, "Or... what if it used to live in the place the portal is now? And now it's out of a home, and trying to find a new one? Or somehow knows who's responsible for the portal and is headed for the capital?" That was a scary thought, and the priestess's apprehension showed plainly on her face.

Meric shook his head at Maggie's suggestions, looking dissatisfied. He opened his mouth as if to speak but then seemed to change his mind. He likely didn't think any of it made any more sense than what they'd had so far, and was naturally feeling frustrated. Bann Maksimir's words rang true; perhaps there simply wasn't enough information available to arrive to a conclusion, regardless of how many conjectures they made.

When no one came forward with a new comment on the matter, Raziel spoke at last.

"Whatever the truth may be, it does not change the fact that you will likely have to account for the dragon upon your return."

"Yes," Knight-Commander Natalis agreed. "We must assume that the dragon will still be nearby. It would be best to avoid that confrontation, but I'm afraid there might not be any choice. We will see to it that you are prepared. You cannot let anything, not even a dragon, stop you from locating that gateway. The entire mission hinges on that."

A'kal let out a sigh. "And once we locate the gateway?"

Uriel answered him. "You will alert the Hellguard. I shall give you the means to do so."

"Remember," Natalis reminded, "It is crucial that you maintain the element of surprise. The gateway, and its surrounding area, will not be unguarded. The enemy must not be alerted to the attack. In the meantime, the Resistance will be moving into position around the remaining gateways. We will be waiting only for your signal - once you are successful in securing the gateway, we will coordinate with the Hellguard and begin the attack immediately.

"Any questions?"

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

Though residual emotions of regret and anger still clung to him, Carn was set on returning North to complete the mission. Because of that, he wasn’t keen on asking questions. Besides, what more could they learn? All the information had been splayed out, and anymore would be mere speculation. Instead of talking more, they could be preparing and resting for the upcoming journey and mission. As such, Carn stood silently watching the attenders to see if anyone would speak up.

"What kind of defenses can we expect at the gateway?" A'kal asked.

"Based on the intelligence we've collected from the other sites, minimal," Natalis answered. "A few sentries. The gateways are primarily defended by their remote locations and the fact that they're one of Ilhirel's best-kept secrets. Do keep in mind that an entire army lies just beyond the threshold, however. We are not looking to draw it out. But the real danger will be the sentries not posted at the gateway. The ones patrolling the wider perimeter, or stationed in the nearby village. The village, Haven, is the only settlement within many miles of the area in which we believe the gateway is located."

Meric nodded. "It is a given that Ilhirel's agents have a presence there. There's nowhere else to get their supplies from, either."

"It is imperative that you do nothing to alarm them until you are ready to secure the gateway. Carn's team was there under the guise of mountaineers. A cover you could easily reuse, particularly given that the team's leader was left behind to recover from his injuries."

"Why not go in as dragonslayers, hm?" Laurolf seemed excited by his own proposal. "It'd be no surprise for a drakkar to return not just to retrieve an injured friend, but to avenge his fallen ones!" He paid Carn a firm nod at that, as one proud warrior might make to another.

"Also a possibility," Natalis commented. "We will leave the details to you. Now, I assume that all of you will be going? The Chosen are somewhat of a large group, even with a few of your members unaccounted for, as I understand. Which reminds me - one of your group, a certain gentleman by the name of Valtieri has arrived to Tyr's Retreat via portal earlier today. He was injured and is now being treated - nothing serious as I'm told, but it prevented him from attending this meeting. And another - Sanya Sarkov of the Kossar has sent word of his inability to attend but is planning to join with one of the other teams to aid us."

Meric frowned. "You're suggesting that we should split up?"

"The other four teams would all benefit from additional help, and the Chosen are made up of highly skilled individuals. We would be increasing their chances of success while reducing your group to a more manageable number for the mission."

"Then we should determine who goes where." A'kal said.

A period of silence ensued, in which people were starting to contemplate what was said. It was unexpectedly broken by Dina, whose mind was apparently made up faster than anyone else's.

"I will go North," she said, jumping off the throne and stepping forward.

The Knight-Commander's jaw nearly dropped to the floor, but he wasn't the only one stunned by the young queen's announcement.

Auri Grashaal the Insatiable

- Drakkar Ambassador to Asgard -

Auri declared. "I am going with Maggie."

He softly scratched his chin. "How precisely do we destroy the gate we are after? And Carn?" He addressed the younger drakkar, "what do you recommend we take along should we encounter the dragon?"

Maggie nodded. "I'm going north too," she said, as if it were a given and she was only speaking up as confirmation. Which was more or less the case; after all, she'd already stated her intention of helping wherever the Resistance needed -- and this was where she was needed, it seemed. Dina's announcement didn't surprise the priestess; she had guessed the girl would want to be on one or another of the teams, and this was the one that seemingly needed the most help.

"Just to make sure I understand, though," Maggie added, "We alert the Hellguard upon locating the portal or upon actually securing it?"

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When Laurolf made his suggestion, Carn nodded. Not only did it make sense, but it would allow Carn to get payback against that dragon. Carn could imagine a spear, impailed through the dragon’s throat. From then, Carn continued to listen, remaining passive to rest of the meeting. Well, he was until Auri directed his question at Carn. The attention from the Drakkar caused Carn to momentarily freeze. Everytime a Drakkar had addressed him, the result usually ended in insults, threats, or worse, challenges. That was why Carn couldn’t help but be alarmed at the question. However, upon looking at the older (and rounder) Drakkar, his fears were disarmed, allowing Carn to speak with confidence.

“From what I’ve learned, combining water and air magic is effective in grounding dragons and dousing their fires. Shielding miracles can also protect against their fires but aren’t as effective against full-body charges. As for killing a dragon, the lightning miracle is particularly effective, but if we do not possess the miracle, we’ll have to beat it down with rune-enforced weapons and enchanted arrows. I don’t have elemental magic or miracles, but I’ve got my force magic.” When he finished, Carn felt a shot of pride for having all that knowledge. Though, because he wasn’t sure if they had what he wanted, he left out the fact that he requested a runic spear as well as enchanted arrows for the mission.

When Maggie brought up her question, Carn too became curious as to their exact instructions as well as to how they will contact the Hellsguard. Though, from the fact that an entire army of demons was behind that portal, Carn assumed that they wouldn’t be facing the guards at the portal, or at least, not alone.

Carn politely raised his hand. When he saw it appropriate, he asked, “I’d also like to ask another question. When we find the last portal, when will we launch the attack?”

Around 18:45 h

More than a few heads were seen nodding at Carn's sound advice, most notably Laurolf. There was clear approval written on the dwarf's face for him. It probably came as no surprise when he made his mind known: "I'll be comin' with ye, too. Just in case you run into any... dragons, hm?"

"The Hellguard will see to the closing of the gateways," Knight-Commander Natalis continued, nodding respectfully to Raziel and Uriel. "Once we signal them, they will send down an angel to each site and get to work. The reason we need to secure the gateways first is because we can't risk a sentry getting off a warning somehow. For all we know, they might even be able to portal back to Alicante, the way I'm told the rogue Chosen... Xenthriss, was it? The way he portaled in and out of Dunn when he abducted Dina. If one of the sentries at the gateway did that, and informed the Sorceress... Well, that's the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen to this operation."

"Not to mention," Meric thought out loud, "They could go through the gateway and alert the army, at the very least."

"That could easily happen, especially if they see an angel dropping out of the sky. That is why we must employ stealth, and take out all of the guards before calling in the Hellguard," Natalis concluded. Turning to Carn, he said: "Immediately. By the time you find the fifth gateway, the other four teams will already be in position to attack the remaining ones. I hope that clears up all of your questions," he addressed everyone at the table, then added: "Because now I have one. Your Majesty," Natalis turned to Dina who was now standing at the table and studying the map. "Surely you can't be serious?"

Dina casually finished her examination and then turned to look at the Knight-Commander. "Oh, I'm serious. I am a member of the Chosen. All of my friends are going. I have the right to go, too."

Natalis stared at the young queen in disbelief. "But... It is simply too dangerous, Your Majesty. Your safety is of paramount importance to the kingdom and the Resistance. I must urge you to reconsider."

"Very well," the girl said, falling silent and appearing to think. She tilted her head and narrowed her eyes, focusing on something in the distance, but only for a few moments. Then she said: "There. I have reconsidered. And I still wish to go."

Natalis let out a frustrated, desperate sigh, looking around for help. "At least... If you must come, will you at least accompany one of the other teams, where you'll enjoy better protection? I can arrange for a -"

"No." Dina flatly cut him off, now looking slightly more annoyed. "I have waited my whole life for something to happen. To go... somewhere, to do something. Now that I've finally been given that chance, I refuse to be locked away in a tower like some sheltered maiden, and I won't be made to wait and observe from the sidelines while others go about finishing the job that was entrusted to me. I appreciate your concern for my safety, Knight-Commander, but I am not a powerless little girl, and I won't be treated like one."

"She is right, you know," Violet stepped closer next to Dina with a confident smile. "I've seen her abilities for myself. And you've seen the reports," she told Natalis. "She would not be defenseless, and neither would she be alone. Where Dina goes, I follow. And with the rest of the Chosen, she'll be as safe as she can be."

"As safe as she can be may not be safe enough," Natalis said. "Your Majesty, please forgive me if I have offended you. It's not that I don't trust your ability to protect yourself, and I understand your desire to stay with the Chosen, but is it truly worth the risk? What happens if we lose you? What of the kingdom, then? What of your people?"

Bann Teagan seized the opportunity to support Natalis. "The Knight-Commander speaks wisely, Your Majesty. We are not here to doubt you, but protect you. For all we know, you are the last surviving member of the Tenárus bloodline. There is no one else who could take your place, if the worst came to pass. We need you."

Dina looked at both of them in turn, then glanced around the room. "You need me," she said. "Not long ago, you didn't even know that I existed. And even then, it wasn't until an hour ago that you finally started to believe me. What was the Resistance fighting for the last three years then? What was going to become of the kingdom? I may be young and foolish, but I am not so arrogant as to think of myself as irreplaceable." The girl took a deep breath, looking once again at the faces of everyone gathered around the table. She looked at Violet, at Maggie, even Laurolf, who stared back with measured approval. She seemed to carefully consider what she was going to say.

"You have accepted me as your queen, and I have accepted to be one. But our mutual acceptance is not enough - while Ilhirel sits on my throne, I cannot truly call myself queen. Nor would I be able to rest easy on that throne even if I had it - not while Ilhirel continued to threaten not just this kingdom, but this world we live in. And I certainly can't rest easy out of sight, here in this ruined fortress while people lay down their lives in a fight that is mine as much as it is theirs. If not more so," she added. Her purple irises were alive as if with a hidden fire. "For I have a personal stake in this as well. After all, I am one of the original Chosen, appointed by the Spectral Council itself. My responsibilities are not only to the throne of Asgard, and I am not just Dina Tenárus, but Dina Ailsa Tenárus. And I will see through what I have helped start. The only sure way to lose me would be to try and stop me by force."

Dina's last words sounded like a challenge and were followed by a short period of silence, probably because most people didn't know exactly what to say, or indeed if they should say anything at all. Violet stood next to her like a stoic guardian. Bann Teagan and Knight-Commander Natalis were exchanging glances. Battojutsu and Laurolf wore expressions of particular pride and approval. But the first person to speak was the Angel of Secrets.

The look on Raziel's hard, stone-like visage was hard to interpret, but it wasn't friendly. He stared down the young girl like a hawk with his unnatural golden eyes, framed in a slight frown. "It seems to me that there are few present here who could stop you by force, even if they wanted to. I need no report nor demonstration to know the power you command; the power I sensed when we first met, and which has grown greatly since. Yet you do not seem concerned."

Dina stared carefully back at Raziel, but said nothing.

Uriel joined in, sounding less strict and more compassionate. "We have been meaning to approach you about this, Dina. There is a darkness inside you, and it has grown. You can see it in your eyes now. Unchecked, it will destroy you, like it has destroyed many others before. Like it has destroyed Raziel's temple. It's not too late - we can help you, if you'll let us. We can rid you of the Taint."

"You mean this?" she asked, taking off her coat and putting it over the edge of the table. Underneath she wore a top that left her arms exposed. She extended her right arm, rotating it a little so that everyone could get a look at the long, ominous scar that extended from her wrist all the way up and around to her shoulder. It was immediately clear that this was no natural injury. The scar was dark purple in color, made up of many thin lines that branched out of one another, like forked lightning or the twisted roots of a tree. Those who'd been with Dina since Dunn could attest that it had spread far, far beyond the original cut near her wrist. The girl studied it for a while as if mesmerized, sliding the fingers of her other hand down the smooth surface of the scar. As she did that, a faint pulsating effect seemed to emanate from underneath. Eventually she looked back up at the angels and slowly shook her head. "No, that won't be necessary. I still need it, you see... And it won't destroy me. Not anymore. Ilhirel saw to that."

Dina Ailsa Tenárus

- Lost Child of Asgard -

Two days earlier, in the throne room of Alicante's Royal Palace...

"Again."

Dina looked up. She'd been staring at the scar on her arm again, noticing how it extended from her wrist and snaked around her forearm, before going up past her elbow and stopping just beyond. Reaching for her shoulder. And once it did, then what? My heart? She couldn't help but let the thought distract her. She could almost hear the Taint laughing somewhere far, far in the darkness. Far, but closer now. Closer than ever before, she realized. But she was snapped out of her thoughts by Ilhirel, who looked expectantly at her. Right... Focus.

She took a deep breath and tried again. Her arm stretched out, palm extended. She reached into the dark - as if wanting to grab a handful of it, like Ilhirel instructed her. She felt it coalesce in her mind. She directed it. And then she let go. A loud crack filled the room, and an arc of purple lightning erupted from the girl's hand. It reached perhaps ten feet away, lingering for a moment before disappearing. Her mentor did not seem pleased, however.

"Are you purposefully trying to drive me insane?" Ilhirel asked, coming down the steps from where she'd been standing near the throne.

Dina felt a wave of frustration wash over her. She almost failed to address her properly, but corrected herself in the last moment. "No, Mistress." The word still had a sour taste to it, but not as much as before.

"I see. Yourself, then? Because they say that the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, all while expecting a different result. And that's exactly what you've been doing."

"I'm doing what you told me to do," Dina answered, but then she saw irritation creep across Ilhirel's already dissatisfied look, and decided to rephrase her words. "I mean, I'm trying. Forgive me... Mistress. It's... it's not easy."

The queen narrowed her eyes at the girl, but then her face brightened. "Of course it isn't easy. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. I wouldn't ask anything of you that I did not think you were capable of. And I know for a fact that you can do a lot better than this, Dina."

Dina's thoughts rushed back to the night of her arrival in Dunn with the Chosen. They arrived just in time to help the City Watch fend off the attack of the river monsters. She did better then. In fact, she wiped out the monsters by herself. But the problem was that she wasn't entirely herself. She'd been possessed by the spirit that hid in the necromancer's body. A powerful spirit - one that knew of Raziel, and the Hellguard, and the Taint. It made her reach for the dark power, and it came so easily. But the price was steep. It pushed her down deeper, driven the scar on her arm higher. The malevolent whispering of the dark presence became louder, and by the time it was over she was on her knees, crying out for help. She had felt so hopeless...

"You are deliberately holding back, aren't you?"

Ilhirel's words once again snapped her back to reality. Was she reading her thoughts? Was it all in her eyes, on her face, plain for the sorceress to see?

"You are afraid," she told her.

"Of course I'm afraid!" Dina responded, and with more force than she intended, for she felt pushed into a corner.

But Ilhirel only smiled. It was that sweet, clever smile of hers. "Good. Only a fool has no fear. Fear can keep you alive. But it can also hold you back. You must find the balance between the two. Perhaps it would help if you replaced it with something else."

Dina frowned. In the light of the afternoon sun, which came down in big, wide rays of sunlight through the windows, the Sorceress looked more angelic than anything else. No one would ever look at her and see the commander of the legions of Hell. They'd see a young girl - barely a few years older than Dina herself. An attractive young woman, with soft blonde hair and captivating green eyes. And when she smiled, someone bright and warm. Huh... Suddenly, Dina realized she was getting sidetracked again. It seemed to happen to her a lot around Ilhirel. And the worst thing is, it must have been obviously written all over her face, because Ilhirel would notice every time. Sometimes she would tease her about it, either by words or via some brief gesture. A wink of an eye. It made Dina feel... awkward. Embarrassed, even, though she couldn't explain it. Like what was happening right now.

"Are you paying attention? Good," Ilhirel answered for her, then turned around, walked away to a distance of about twenty feet, and faced her again. "You can use me as a target."

"You want me... to attack you?" she asked, not without suspicion.

"I'd tell you not to worry about hurting me, but you don't, do you? You want to hurt me."

I do, Dina thought, but didn't say it.

"Of course you do," Ilhirel continued. "I've given you plenty of reasons to hurt me, haven't I? I had you brought here by force, separated you from your friends. I killed your father, the old king, and stole this kingdom from your family. And last but not least, I am indirectly responsible for the death of your mother, too. I may not have killed her myself, but if it hadn't been for me, she'd most likely still be alive. I wonder what she would say if she could see her daughter now, standing face to face with the person responsible for both her parents' death, yet too afraid to even try to do anything about it. Well... perhaps she's better off dead."

From the start, Dina knew that Ilhirel was purposefully trying to make her angry. She knew it, and she resolved not to give in to her. She put up a wall between them in her mind. But the moment Ilhirel mentioned her mother, it felt like the very foundations of that wall were shaken. And it didn't stop there. As the sorceress continued, Dina felt a sudden rise of emotion swelling in her chest. For a second, she saw her mother lying motionless, lifeless, on the floor of their cabin in the woods. The memories of that fateful day rushed back at her, threatening to overwhelm her. Her eyes filled with tears, and she felt like she would break. But then she remembered that she wasn't back in the cabin, and that today was not that day, and that she wasn't the same helpless girl anymore. And in that last moment, just as Ilhirel delivered her final line, all of Dina's sorrow and pain turned into wrath. And she unleashed all of it at Ilhirel.

The crack of lightning filled the room as a mass of dark, purple energy coalesced around Dina's right arm, and went straight for the Sorceress. It flew across those twenty feet in a flash, too fast for anyone to even think about dodging, and appeared to hit its mark. There was an explosion, a blast of purple, and the shine of something golden behind it. Dina's attack had hit some kind of barrier, a shield, mere inches from Ilhirel's body. It shone a bright gold color as it dissipated moments after the dark energy subsided.

"Much better," Ilhirel praised her, to her credit appearing genuinely impressed.

Dina didn't look like she'd had enough, however. There was a leftover purple glow in her eyes, a dark fire that would not fade so easily. The situation looked like it could escalate - and that was the exact moment that Xenthriss picked to barge in.

The great double gates of the throne room flew wide open, giving way before the nine foot tall drakkar monstrosity that came marching down the middle. His decrepit, blackened armour and tattered cloak made him a sight to behold and want to look away, if not run away in terror. His visage was undoubtedly of one who had been alive for much longer than he had any right to, fueled by dark sorcery and forbidden arts. And yet all the response he triggered on Ilhirel's face was mild annoyance. At first glance, it was absurd. What appeared to be a young human girl, barely 5'4, staring up at the approaching unnatural behemoth and regarding him with nothing but irritation.

"Xenthriss. I said I was not to be disturbed. What do you want?" she asked, waving off the guards who had entered the room behind him, looking profusely apologetic.

"Only what was promised to me, sorceress," Xenthriss growled. "I grow tired of waiting!"

Ilhirel looked thoroughly unimpressed. "As I said - in due time."

"To hell with due time! I gave you the information you wanted. I brought you the girl. You've had two days to admire your new pet - now I think it's high time you fulfilled your end of the bargain," he argued, snapping his jaws. "If you still want my help with the Chosen, you will indulge me."

Ilhirel actually snickered at that. "You? Helping me with the Chosen? Why, Xenthriss, I'm not sure you could even handle Dina, here. How do you propose to deal with the rest of her friends?" she mocked him.

The drakkar let out a loud, threatening growl and focused on Dina. "I could snap this one in half whenever I want. Her little crystals don't frighten me. That's right," he repeated, seeing the hostile look in Dina's eyes, still awash with the remaining dark energy inside her. He grinned at her with his pointed, twisted teeth. "You'd have made a nice, crunchy little snack for me by now, if it weren't for your mistress. Be thankful for that."

Xenthriss barely got to finish that sentence when a sudden arc of purple lightning hit him square in the chest, almost causing him to topple over. He looked at Ilhirel in disbelief, but she only laughed and shrugged, feigning indifference. Xenthriss' hand automatically reached for the grip of his sword that was strapped to his back. Whether or not he actually meant to draw it, he didn't get the chance, because Dina hit him again. This time the power of the bolt was enough to force him down on one knee.

"That felt good, didn't it?" Ilhirel encouraged her. "I would finish him if I were you. It's the only way to guarantee that he doesn't go after your friends. And believe me, he will if you let him. Not because of me - oh no, he has his own plans. He'd like nothing better than to kill them all, just like he'd have killed you if it hadn't been for me."

"What game are you playing?!" Xenthriss growled at Ilhirel as he stood up and drew his sword. It was a monstrosity, like him - a massive, two-handed monstrosity made solely to take lives.

"A game? No. In fact, I won't even get involved," she replied, symbolically taking a few steps back with her hands behind her back.

Xenthriss glared at Ilhirel, but his next action was aimed at Dina. He let out a blood-chilling, guttural howl and moved in her direction with more speed than one would expect from a creature of his size, his bloodthirsty blade leading the way. But Dina changed her tactics - instead of trying to blast him again, she focused her attention on the ground in front of him. A moment's worth of concentration was all it took to cause a sharp, sword-like crystal formation to erupt directly in the drakkar's path. Yet Xenthriss smashed through it, barely slowing down as he advanced towards the girl. Another growth of dark crystals erupted in his way, tearing up the white stonework and threatening to impale him on the spot, but somehow Xenthriss managed to avoid it once again. The wild grin on his face grew wider, revealing even more of his teeth.

With the distance all but closed between them, Dina took a few steps back - forgetting how close she was to the steps that led up to the throne. She tripped and fell on her back, crying out once. By then the massive drakkar already towered above her, his sword poised to be brought down and sunk into her chest, and his tongue was flicking between the rows of his teeth. "I'm going to enjoy this," he told her, and then opened his maw wide in a clear expression of sudden and intense pain. His draconic eyes were frozen still in disbelief. He craned his neck further down, towards the source of the pain. There, protruding grotesquely from his chest, was a thick, dark purple crystal. In his moment of triumph, Dina had called it up from behind his back, impaling him clean through. Before he could do or say anything else, still stricken with realization, another crystal erupted from the ground and went straight through him. And another. And another, each a razor sharp sword that embedded itself into his flesh, causing his body to spasm in the same rhythm. Xenthriss never got another word out.

Dina struck him again and again, tears flowing from her eyes as she did so, and in her desperation she did not register the moment when the large two handed blade finally slipped from the dead drakkar's grasp, driven by its own weight. She didn't even realize it until the moment when something deflected the sword during its short fall, causing it to drop on the floor a safe distance away, with a resounding clang. The girl saw the blade, saw the lifeless body of Xenthriss grotesquely suspended in the air with a dozen large, sharp crystals sticking through him, and finally saw her arm, and the scar on it. Where previously it had reached just past her elbow, it was now licking the top of her shoulder.

"What have you done to me?!" Dina cried out to Ilhirel, feeling despair set firmly in. Her eyes filled once again with tears as she weakly dragged herself a few feet away from Xenthriss' body and the growing pool of blood underneath it. "What have you done?! Don't you understand? Every time I do this... Every time it gets closer! Stronger! I can hear it... whispering to me... It's so close now! It will devour me and t-there'll be nothing... n-nothing left of me..." She tried to get up, but she felt absolutely exhausted. Drained. Her tears wouldn't stop coming, all the while she could feel the cold, dark tendrils of the Taint in her mind and hear its voice taunting her, telling her of the things it will do to her once it had her completely. She was afraid to even close her eyes, but they fell shut regardless, and an endless, heavy darkness seemed to descend upon her.

But it did not last. In that moment, Dina felt a warmth that was as clear and bright as a ray of sunlight on her skin. Except it wasn't on her skin - it was within her, somehow. A flame in her chest. Her heart? And the panic she felt before was no longer her own, but it belonged now to the Taint. The dark presence, so heavy and overbearing mere moments ago, was now fleeing in fear. Dina felt its terror and confusion as it withdrew, and its voice became quieter and quieter, until it was gone altogether.

With a little effort, she forced her eyelids open.

She was still in the throne room, and no time seemed to have passed at all. Xenthriss' dead body was exactly the way she left it. But when she shifted her head to the left, she saw Ilhirel. The Sorceress seemed to be kneeling on the steps next to her. Watching her. Greatly concerned at that. Dina tried to get up, but felt so dizzy that she immediately lost her purchase.

Ilhirel caught her. "Slowly," she told her, helping her into a sitting position first. "Relax. Breathe. You are safe now."

"What happened? You did something, didn't you?"

"Of course I did something," the sorceress said, matter-of-factly. "Did you think I'd just leave you lying there? Or that I'd actually let Xenthriss kill you?"

"Xenthriss -"

"Was dead the moment he walked into the room. I merely allowed you to have the satisfaction, since you showed initiative. But you were never in any real danger. I would have intervened if necessary. Actually, I suppose I did in the end... Nevertheless, you still performed admirably."

"And the Taint? I can barely feel it now. It's like... like it's afraid of me now?"

"Of course it's afraid," Ilhirel grinned victoriously. "You have my fire coursing in your veins now. The tables have turned."

"Your fire... In my veins?" Dina asked with uncertainty.

"Or burning in your heart. Or permeating your spirit. Or whatever. It's just a figure of speech, obviously. It's a gift from me, and that's how you should think of it."

But something made Dina wary. "And what will I have to do to earn this... gift?"

For a moment, Ilhirel just stared at her. In the next, she laughed out loud. "Nothing! Really, Dina? It wouldn't be much of a gift if I charged you for it, would it? From now on, you won't have to worry about the Taint anymore. That's the important thing to take away from this."

"It's still there, though. I can sense it. And my arm..." she looked at the scar on her arm again, longer than ever, twisting across her skin.

Ilhirel reached out and placed her fingers on Dina's arm, tracing the smooth, purple lines of the scar. "If you don't want it, I can remove it for you. But if the scar goes, your power over the Taint goes, too. You would no longer be connected. Since you are now on the winning side of that connection, I thought you might want to keep it. It's your choice, Dina - I am not here to make your choices for you. I am here to make sure you have a choice in the first place. Anyway... Personally, I think it looks beautiful on you. Not something to be ashamed of, but something to be proud of. Something that makes you unique."

For the first time, Dina found herself regarding her scar like a thing of beauty, and not some sinister mark of impending doom. I guess it's not that anymore, she thought, somehow feeling less self-conscious about it already. She looked at Ilhirel again to tell her that, and as she did, she noticed how the sorceress looked... a little weary, somehow. Like someone who had to perform a very difficult task. Whatever she did, it didn't come without a cost. To her, at least. Does she really expect nothing in return? Even so, she brought me here for a reason... I have to stay focused and find out what that is.

"I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but why? Why do this for me?"

"Because I care about you. Obviously," came Ilhirel's reply. Though the sorceress did indeed seem tired, she was somehow still lighthearted at the same time.

Dina didn't know exactly what to say to that. She felt tired and disoriented herself. So all she said was: "Thank you."

"You are welcome," the sorceress replied with a smile. "Now, I think I should escort you to your quarters. You look like you could really use some rest."

You, too, Dina thought, but didn't say it. Instead, she allowed Ilhirel to help her to her feet and guide her around Xenthriss' remains, and finally out of the throne room.

Auri could not help but feel deep amusement at learning the fate of the diabolical drakkar. Xenthriss! Killed by a human! And a young one at that! No armor, no arms, just magical power and a strong step from the Sorceress! The humiliation he must have felt before he died!

The old drakkar smiled in the warm glow of vindication. For all of the evil Xenthriss had done and all the undrakkar-like methods he used befitting his proud race, he was dead at the hands of a woman who, as far as Auri could tell, might not even know the basics of swordplay! He had clearly underestimated her and learned, alas too late, that the Sorceress wanted him dead too!

"Dina," he gently spoke to her as a fellow Chosen, "pardon me my brief departure." He turned to walk away before adding, "I think I owe you a beer!" This was the kind of reward a fellow warrior would have earned had they slain Xenthriss in armed combat, so why not a human lady stricken with Taint? She had deserved it for ridding Asgard of the worst drakkar Auri could think of. Auri lumbered off to fetch her a beer and one for he and Maggie, too.

And as he did, he could be heard giggling!

Last edited:

Not being a warrior, nor Drakkar, Maggie watched Auri go in puzzlement, then turned back to Dina with a hesitant smile. "I'm glad you aren't in danger from the taint," she said. "I hope the cure doesn't prove worse than the disease, but if you say you're all right, I'll trust you on that." And so she does, though her concern about the Sorceress' motives (and what this "fire" actually does) remain. "But... I hope you'll reconsider Uriel's offer once you no longer need the taint. Forgive me for saying so, but I think it a very unnatural thing, and it worries me."

Last edited:
Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

The camaraderie and approval lightened the mood of the room. Though for Carn, it did nothing to remove his gaze from the thing rooted within Dina’s arm. Purples and violets might be normal colors in flowers and mushrooms, but the shades this “taint” gave off were anything but normal. A shiver shot down his spine just by looking at the jags and tendrils of the scar.

“That’s dangerous,” Fear whispered in his mind as he fiddled with his right horn. The following thought of working alongside that caused him to stop. While a small part of him liked having a powerful ally, no less one that took down a Drakkar of his nightmares, the rest of him was terrified of that ally.

“You shouldn’t keep it,” Carn blurted out, interrupting the mirthful atmosphere. Had his friends been there, they’d all be wide-eyed, including Carn himself, but with that bridge crossed and burned, he couldn’t stop. He continued, albeit with a much softer tone and his eyes averted to the table.

“I’ve seen many strange plants, shrooms, and molds in the forest, but none of them had ever looked or felt like that… thing, whatever it is. I’m… I’m not comfortable working with it.” Carn glanced at the scar and then at those eyes.

Carn’s tongue seized up.

Asher could not keep himself from feeling conflicted towards Dina. Even though she removed an obstacle, this Xenthriss fellow, it did not seem like her time captured by the sorceress was of any true use to them.

If the power she has was of any worth, the sorceress would have put an end to it.

In fact, the sorceress most likely had a purpose for Dina in keeping her. Asher decided to be wary of Dina and observe her, especially that arm of hers.

Hearing what Carn said, Asher could not help himself but agree;

"Strange powers enabled by the enemy, are we supposed to trust this?"

Around 19:00 h

Auri's departure to fetch refreshments was equally sudden and unexpected, at least in the eyes of most. He didn't have to go far, however, as the guards at the gate pointed out the supplies that had been prepared just outside, and where indeed he could still find many of those who had participated in the first part of the council, now drinking and talking. So at least he didn't really lose out on the conversation. As the drakkar ambassador exited and re-entered the great hall, people tried to steal casual glances at what was going on inside.

"The priestess is right to be worried. Unnatural is precisely what it is," Raziel readily continued where Maggie left off, looking no less displeased for Dina's retelling of events than he was before. "This corruption is an affront to Nature, and by extension, the Creator himself. Even if it were not a threat to your being any longer, which is debatable, to willingly remain connected to it is foolish."

Uriel joined in: "You wield two conflicting powers within you, Dina. That conflict itself may yet prove to be your undoing. Like Raziel, I would not advise you to maintain this connection either, no matter what benefits it may entail. It cannot be worth it."

"I thank the Hellguard for this counsel, but I have made my decision," Dina said, and her voice was that of a confident monarch. "I will not change it."

Uriel seemed more understanding about this than Raziel. "May I examine your arm, at least? I am curious as to what exactly Ilhirel did to you." After receiving a nod of permission from the young queen, the angel approached her and knelt down on one knee - being still taller than most people. She carefully took Dina's extended arm in one hand, while placing the palm of her other hand against the scar of the Taint. The angel seemed to glow as she did this, and a little of that glow wrapped itself around Dina's arm as well, but it was soon gone.

"As I suspected," Uriel said as she stood up, looking impressed. "A divine spark."

"You are certain?" Raziel asked.

Uriel nodded. "Feel it yourself if you wish. This could only have been done by a being that was blessed by the Creator himself. What more proof does my theory need? We are dealing with a fallen angel, whether we like it or not."

Raziel took a deep breath, quickly lost in contemplation. He appeared more worried than ever before.

Bann Teagan decided to express his doubts out loud, however. "So you believe this to be genuine? That the Sorceress was telling the truth about helping Dina?

"Whatever her ulterior motives, she did what she said," Uriel confirmed. "Dina should be safe from the Taint's influence now - physically, at least."

"I'm with Carn and Asher," A'kal said. "I do not trust the Sorceress, especially when she comes bearing gifts. Even if there is no hidden, sinister aspect to this ritual, there may yet be a price for it. However," the Varden added, "It is her choice, and we should respect it. Even if we disagree with it."

From the looks and murmurs around the table, this seemed to be the conclusion most people agreed with. But not all.

"This power was not given to me by Ilhirel," Dina said, and she looked at Asher first, before moving on to Carn and the others. "She merely fixed it so that I would have the option to use it safely, if I chose to. But even if it did come from her, I am not asking you to trust Ilhirel, or her gifts. I am merely asking you to trust me, as my friends always have."

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

At the queen’s request, a slight grimace formed on Carn’s face before disappearing all together. As much as the scar still frightened him, there was no other option for Carn but to work with the unnatural sight and the queen. Carn exhaled deeply before turning his gaze towards the queen and nodded in agreement. Inwardly, however, Carn’s heart still wavered at the sight of the scar.

Maggie was one of those nodding in agreement with A'kal, though she was rather relieved by Uriel's verification that the power which was keeping Dina safe from the Taint was a divine power, and thus ultimately from the Maker, whatever the Sorceress might have intended. She still wished Dina would let the angels remove the Taint entirely, but the divine spark reassured the priestess that it was under control, though she didn't forget Uriel's caveat of "physically, at least." Maggie resolved to watch over Dina in their upcoming travels, and see if she could prevent any non-physical danger to their young queen. She smiled warmly at her, offering a visual confirmation of her trust in her friend, and then turned to nod and offer a comforting smile to Carn and the others who were unsure. "If that's settled then," she said gently to the room at large, "are there any other questions, or should we all start preparing for our missions?"

Auri returned with a huge platter of the promised brew and passed a mug to every one of the Chosen who would take one. Especially Dina. Then he stood and made a proposition.

"If I may interrupt this briefing for a moment? My fellow Chosen, I have lived many a decade, 35 to be exact, and in all that time, I feel Xenthriss was one of the most wicked and evil-hearted creatures ever to walk Asgard.

He indicated Dina with a wave of his wrinkled claw. "That Dina, one of us, played a large part in his demise has brought joy to this old heart and made Asgard a brighter place.

He raised his mug. "And so, I propose a toast! To Dina and the end of wicked hearts!" Auri looked Dina in the eye. "Regardless of how you might try to deflect this praise, Dina, you have helped slay an evil that has wronged some of us longer than any dragon in recent history. For that, you have my eternal gratitude." Auri bowed to he felt a proud drakkar should.

Once this was done, he returned to talk of the mission at hand.

Dina did indeed look like she was about to try and deflect Auri's praise, but quickly abandoned the effort under the spotlight she found herself in. She smiled widely instead, gracefully picking up the mug of beer and raising it above the table. "I accept your toast, ambassador," she said, "And if I might add to it: To Asgard! To seeing its glory - the glory of all its parts - restored!"

Laurolf grew serious for a moment there, and a watchful eye might have noticed a certain meaningful glance exchanged between the dwarf and the young queen, followed by his bursting into a loud, respectable "aye!" and diving into his mug.

Dina followed suite (minus the "aye"), setting an early example to her followers, some of which still seemed a little stunned at the sight of her. An hour ago, they had purpose but no ruler - now they had a twenty year old queen whose face was hidden inside a mug of Darkvale's finest. Owing to the efforts of a mindful servant who followed Auri with an additional tray of drinks, there was enough for everyone in the room, even the angels - a courtesy, for they predictably elected not to partake in this earthly delight.

"Now," Knight-Commander Natalis began, having drained a good amount of the contents of his mug, "As Maggie suggested, we are just about done here. Unless someone still has something to say. In the meantime, I'd like to finish with the team assignments..." While the others tended to their drinks and thoughts, Natalis gathered answers from the remaining Chosen in regards to their placement and neatly wrote it down on a piece of parchment alongside the map.

gl8Xjoq.jpg

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When everyone had raised their mugs, Carn raised his as well but didn’t partake in the beer. Instead, he held it idly in his hand as he observed the table around him. Upon seeing everyone busy with their own celebrations, Carn began rocking his mug, looking into the chaotic waves and vortices of the frothy drink. By now, he’d have taken his tiny sips, but doing so seemed disagreeable to him. He needed sobriety to settle his thoughts, not alcohol to drown them.

“I’d wish the queen wouldn’t go,” he muttered to himself. Dina being royalty didn’t bother Carn, but her powers did. Not only were they unnatural, her powers made Dina unpredictable and probably unstable despite her assurances. She seemed fine now, but in the heat of the moment, she was very likely to endanger the mission and its secrecy or, the Creator forbid, the safety of his friend. That last bit caused him to notice the familiar flickers of the golden liquid, echoing to him what his group would say about an untouched mug of beer. Carn attempted to resist the badgering, but being completely derailed from thought, could only surrender and took a tiny sip, much to the chagrin of the ghosts in his head.

Maggie was startled by the toast, but quickly took her part in it. "To Dina and to Asgard!" she repeated, and drank several dutiful swallows of the beer. Amidst the rest, however, she noticed young Carn joining in rather less enthusiastically. She didn't blame him in the least -- what with losing his friends to a dragon so recently, and barely escaping it himself, and having to go with someone he didn't really trust back into a mission where he'd likely face that dragon again, the priestess would have been surprised if he had been in a good mood. She resolved to keep an eye on him as they traveled north together, and see what she could do for him in a less public setting. It would help that Auri and Laurolf were coming with them. Auri was a drakkar like Carn, and Laurolf was another comfortingly solid warrior, one she hoped Carn would like when they got to know each other. She would miss those of the Chosen who were assigned elsewhere, but it was true that each of the groups could use help, and she couldn't get greedy just to have her friends along. At least Meric and Asher weren't in the same group -- they had something between them now that wouldn't be helpful in the field.

Date: October 12th (Sunday), year 3321
Weather: Cloudy, bright, and cold, with occasional gusts of colder wind.

Around 09:00 h
Somewhere near the village of Haven

The Chosen had gotten a later start than usual that day. Their means of travel meant that they could afford it, leaving them plenty of time to get a good night's rest and still be able to slowly and methodically pack everything they thought they needed for the mission at hand. Uriel opened the portal for them, like she'd done two nights ago in Alicante, then stood watch patiently alongside Raziel as the fellowship filtered through. They'd been given the warnings; the advice and the counsel. The preparations were all made. But even readied as they were, as arrows loosened and bound with careful determination to find their mark, more than one of them were still taken by surprise by the cold that greeted them on the other side of the golden portal.

Even well into October, and nested halfway up the Darkvale Mountains as it was, the fortress of Tyr's Retreat still kept some of the warmth that could otherwise now be found only further south. But here, in the North - even though this was barely north enough to be called the North - it was clear that winter had come early this year. There'd been recent snowfall down in the valley where they were, and before them the mighty Frostback Mountains rose like a force of nature all encased in it. The kind that wouldn't melt, even come Spring. Coming up the King's Road from the Plains of Fangír, these silent heralds of the northern realm were the very first bit of the north that travelers could spy.

d9bece8a234d31651b3048921aa3fb7d.jpg

But the King's Road went around and away from these, for through no skill of Men or even Dwarves was such an obstacle ever made any easier to overcome. Yet it was the path that the Chosen would have to tread, from the snow-covered valley where Uriel's portal deposited them, up to the remote village of Haven, and beyond... to wherever lay their mark.

It was cold here, but though the temperature would likely rise a little as the day went on, so too would their altitude as they progressed - which effectively meant that, for them, it would only get colder. At least once they left their first, and only certain, stop on the way. For now, they made easy progress through the fortunately shallow cover of white, only occasionally taunted by the gusts of chilly wind that seemed to follow in their wake. One such gust of wind, noticeably more forceful than the others, took place perfectly to escort them off the non-existing path they'd been on, and onto a poorly maintained, yet definitely existing one. Then it died altogether, at least for the moment, as if it had accomplished its purpose. The Chosen found themselves on what appeared to be a barely trodden road, if it could rightly be called that, surrounded by sparse evergreens on both sides. The sky above was mostly cloudy, with the sun itself out of sight, though its light was omnipresent.

"By Owyn's beard!" Laurolf let out an annoyed cry. "I thought we were on the way to Haven! Now yer tellin' me that we've only been on the way to the way to it! Well how far out did that portal drop us, then? I tell you, if those'd been dwarven angels, they'd 'ave damn portaled us straight into what passes for the local tavern!"

As he complained, the dwarf very obviously looked to Carn for answers, as if this whole thing might be his fault. The others wisely used the excuse to steady their breathing and rest up for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back