• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter VII: Revelations

Auri's question earned him the immediate attention of the Angel of Secrets. Raziel's head turned towards him in a single quick motion, placing him at the mercy of those bright, yet cold and decidedly inhuman eyes.

"Even we do not presume to know the Creator's will in all things. Ours is the mandate of Heaven," he said and, oddly, the words sounded as if he was merely repeating them. "We have been charged with defending this world from otherworldly threats, not those that come from within. Our presence here is only due to the fact that our goals are temporarily aligned. But make no mistake - we are not here to remove a usurper from your throne. We are here to end the worst demonic incursion in history. Who sits on the throne of Asgard is of no more importance to the Hellguard than who occupies the throne of Yamatai, or of any other realm you've scarcely even heard of."

The angel paused briefly, seeming to consider his next words, and in doing so he glanced back at Dina. "As for this ritual of yours, and the so-called Amulet of Kings.. It was never called that, nor was it the only one of its kind - though it is now almost certainly the last one in existence. It is a relic of a bygone era, made from materials unknown to you and powered by sorcery unknown to us. Only members of the Tenárus family wore them, and only with the advent of the Ardent Sun. The only thing it signifies today is that the girl before us is a direct descendant of that same house - the one that invited darkness in the guise of light into mankind's first kingdom, and sealed its doom."

Raziel's words were heavy and condemning, and his distaste for the amulet, the Cult of the Ardent Sun, and the house of Tenárus was evident in the way he mentioned them. It was equally apparent that Dina noticed that, and was frowning at him while clutching the amulet in the palm of her hand, muting its shine.

Then once again, like a ray of sunlight through a dark cloud, Uriel lived up to her name and stepped forward.

"And it was a Tenárus that redeemed said doomed mankind, with the Creator's blessing," she happily reminded. "But if Dina should indeed rule Asgard, it is because of your own laws of succession, and not any blessing from the Hellguard or the Creator."

"Agreed. The sight of the Ardent Sun itself would undoubtedly displease Him, that much I can say with certainty."

"Or sadden Him, more than anything else," Uriel added.

Last edited:

Maggie listened to the angels' tale with an increasingly saddened face. It was an unusual expression for the young priestess, but then these were unusual times, and this was certainly a highly unusual tale, at least nowadays.

... see the full wrath of Heaven descend upon their kingdom behind them.

Maggie looked almost about to cry at that, but had she done so, it would have been in mourning for all the people who fell to Heaven's wrath. Even in her sorrow, her faith in her Creator was strong, and she knew in her soul that the lost ones had truly been so lost that there was nothing that could have redeemed them, and that was itself another point of unaccustomed grief for her, who always wanted to believe in even the smallest, most hidden good in everyone.

Uriel's words about the eye on Maggie's symbol altered the priestess's expression from sorrow to simple dismay. She listened while the angels answered Auri's question, then posed one of her own. "It isn't the Maker's eye, you said, but it signified Anglimar and those who followed him in faith. Does that mean we are, in a sense, worshipping him?" It was clear that she found the thought an uncomfortable one, but she didn't shrink from asking, wanting sincerely to know the truth.

Uriel looked perplexed for a moment, but soon explained: "The new sigil symbolizes the covenant that Anglimar made with the Creator for the salvation of your race. Even if you hadn't known the truth of what the eye stood for, I should hope you weren't worshiping it any more than you'd worship the sun. I truly don't think you have anything to worry about, priestess. Except perhaps correcting your historical records. The story that Raziel told is an... abridged version. Much has been left out of Anglimar's trials that you do not know, and though it is a sad tale, it is also one of hope."

"Of course I have abridged it," Raziel interrupted. "We are here for a council of war, not history lessons."

"On that note, permit me a question, Lord Raziel." It was Knight-Commander Natalis. "The Tenárus Amulet... For all these years it was traditionally kept hidden, its location known only to a few trusted individuals at a time. Only rarely was it brought to light, in order to settle matters of inheritance. Like today. After what you've just told us, I can't help but wonder - is the amulet itself... dangerous?"

Silence once again.

Quite likely Natalis was merely stating what many others were thinking about as well. Dina certainly seemed to be, as she eyed the amulet suspiciously in her hand. She was staring at it so intently that she looked a little startled when the thing finally went out, turning black once again (probably due to the fact that she'd inadvertently wiped it clean of her blood). Then she, too, looked at the angel waiting for an answer.

It would not be a satisfying one.

"Dangerous for what it stands for? Certainly. It were amulets just like this one that shone upon the breasts of men and women of House Tenárus, through the red of their own blood as they watched those branded as heretics burned alive on pyres built outside their temples. It is a symbol of the thing that nearly destroyed the race of Men." The angel let that sink in for a moment before continuing. "Dangerous in some arcane way? Possibly. The magic that powers it certainly does not come from the Creator, and whether or not it has some other function except responding to Tenárus blood, there are none alive today that can tell. My advice to you would be to do what your ancestors should have done, and destroy the thing."

Dina, to whom the advice was given, did not seem eager to take it. "I will consider it," was all she said.

The Angel of Secrets looked back at her intently, but said nothing.

Uriel's answer brought a smile, albeit a sad one, back to Maggie's face. "I would like very much to hear the whole story someday soon, so that I can correct our records," the priestess replied. "The lessons of the past, however sad we find them personally, should not be lost to time, or else they might get repeated. And we who wear the present symbol of the Maker should know all of what it signifies. What good is a symbol whose meaning has been forgotten?" She looked apologetically at Raziel and the Knight Commander. "Of course it will have to wait until after the council, but I hope it will not be long afterwards."

Maggie also looked at Dina with concern, but held off her questions for the moment. As Raziel had said, they were here for a war council, and this seemed to be indicative of something personal with Dina. Maybe afterwards they'd have more time to talk privately, or at least get to know each other better.

Auri Grashaal the Insatiable

- Drakkar Ambassador to Asgard -

"But if Dina should indeed rule Asgard, it is because of your own laws of succession, and not any blessing from the Hellguard or the Creator."

"Agreed. The sight of the Ardent Sun itself would undoubtedly displease Him, that much I can say with certainty."

"Or sadden Him, more than anything else," Uriel added.

Auri bowed his head in a show of silent gratitude to the angels for their perspective. For the moment, he wished to intrude upon the conversation no more but to let those closer to the situation come to their own conclusions.

He did not envy Maggie's position - to now have the means to literally rewrite history as humans knew it and be the very voice that must tell her people they had it wrong all these years. That it was the right thing to do was not in doubt. It was the growling, yowling, and the great possibility of bloodshed that might follow! Just then, Auri realized that he was making a mistake; humans were not drakkar. Their ways differed greatly from his own people. This he knew having been a drakkar now for 350 colorful years.

He quietly wished Maggie good fortune that her people would not react the way he imagined his would.

Date: October 11th (Saturday), year 3321
Weather: A clear and cold Autumn sunset.

Around 18:10 h
The Great Hall, Tyr's Retreat

Uriel paid Maggie one of her kind, radiant smiles, but said no more. Sensing a chance to refocus the discussion, perhaps, it was Meric who spoke next.

"Right. So if we are to truly address the matter at hand, I have but one question. Something that I wanted to ask you, Raziel, back in your temple. Or rather, a series of connected questions, if you'll allow, that I suspect are on everyone's minds," the elf corrected himself with a quick bow of his head. "Just who is the Sorceress Ilhirel? Where did she come from? And why?"

Raziel took a deep breath, directing a meaningful glance at Uriel. "I regret to say that even the Hellguard does not have all of the answers you seek. When the Sorceress invaded, we were taken by surprise as much as you. Simply put, an invasion of that scale should not even have been possible. We have dealt with countless demonic incursions, but that number is nothing compared to how many have been warded by the Veil itself. It is the first and greatest line of defense this world has. We are the last."

"And we have failed in our duty," Uriel said, and for the first time her bright eyes met no one else's in the room. She looked down, unwilling or unable to hide her shame.

Raziel wore a sombre expression himself. "When the Great Rift opened, the Hellguard was immediately alerted. Uriel and a few others were swift in getting there, but they were not prepared for the host that emerged from beyond. And neither could they close the rift, for the power behind it was too great. They were forced to retreat until a new plan could be made, and for a while it was suggested that the entire Hellguard should assemble and meet the threat head on. We likely would have, if it hadn't been for the Sorceress.

"You have to understand that nothing ever came from beyond the Veil except for demons. And demons in manageable numbers. To suddenly encounter what appeared to be a young human girl in the midst of all that hellspawn left us stunned, only more so for the fact that she seemed to be in command of the largest demonic army we've ever seen, arriving through the greatest rift in the Veil that had ever been made. There were too many unknowns, too much that we did not know. It left us hesitant to act. So we decided to wait and gather more information.

"We could afford to, at first, as the Sorceress and her legions made their way across the wild expanses of the continent. We observed them from afar as they went. But even later, when they finally reached this kingdom, and many of us argued fervently that the time to act had come," Raziel looked at Uriel as he said that, "Still others were too afraid of what would happen in the event that the Hellguard was defeated, and advised that we should wait until the Sorceress revealed more of herself in battle - even at the expense of the lives lost."

Uriel looked up, explaining: "A schism made possible by the disappearance of our leader, some time before all this." From the way Raziel frowned at her, it was clear that he did not approve of her sharing that bit of information.

That was their response? They sat and waited until everyone that needed protection was no more? Watching destruction unfold?

Asher now felt that these emissaries of the Creator were no more divine than himself, and no less human than any beggar in the street. There was only a large gap in power that separated them from any normal person. He decided to reserve his anger for the Sorceress.

Asher had seen similar discords between nobility, and it was all too familiar to him. People like to sit and wait, hoping that they never have to raise their weapons in offense or in defense justifying their inaction however they can. They tend to end up with their throats cut and their homes burned down.

Standing in the crowd he wondered how those around him perceived these Angels after hearing this, but doubted anyone would say anything in their presence.

Maggie looked as confused as she felt. "The Sorceress came through the Rift? Is she really just human, then? Or something else?" She wanted very much to ask about the angels' missing leader, but if it hadn't been part of Raziel's plan to talk about that, it was probably not relevant to the current meeting. Unlike Asher, not that either of them knew it, her opinion of the angels hadn't actually changed much on hearing that they'd held back when faced by what might have proved an overwhelming force of demons. Yes, dealing with such an army was part of their job, but they'd said right at the start that they weren't gods themselves, but fellow servants of the Maker, and surely that meant they were as prone to making mistakes as humanity? If that even was a mistake, which Maggie wasn't convinced it was, yet. It wouldn't have done anyone any good if the angels had launched into an attack and all been killed. Could angels be killed? Raziel had sort of implied that with "defeat," but Maggie wondered all the same. Anyway, to lose themselves in an unwise attack would just have left humanity undefended later, and the Sorceress and her army would still be here to defend against, and they'd all be in a worse position than they were now.

Last edited:
"A human could never travel between worlds like that," Raziel explained. "No mortal could. The Veil is not the reason why - you already know that it can be breached. What you do not know, is that the true obstacle to such travel is the Abyss between the worlds.

"Think of the night sky. Each star you see would be a world, protected by an invisible Veil of its own; and the dark space between them... the Abyss. An endless expanse where light and darkness are one and the same, where things exist and do not at the same time, where indeed even time itself may not be relevant at all. A realm of true chaos that divides and connects the worlds that float around it. You could not comprehend it, nor withstand it if you suddenly found yourself there - much less actually traverse it. Lesser beings who try to force their way through the Abyss are quickly stripped of their body, mind, and soul alike. They are twisted and warped into demons themselves, reduced to nothing but fodder that will fuel the next invasion. More powerful beings, including immortals, might resist for a longer time, wandering and stumbling through the Abyss in some misguided attempt to navigate it, but eventually they succumb to its chaotic corruption all the same. That is how the demonic legion gets its lieutenants and other powerful abominations.

"Whatever the Sorceress is, she is not human," the angel concluded.

Meric looked up to him, his eyes still narrowed in contemplation. "Then do you... Does the Hellguard have any idea what she might be? Some sort of archdemon, perhaps? You must have a guess, at least."

The elf's question was answered by Uriel instead.

"We have debated this for a long time," she said, speaking quickly as if she was trying to cut in ahead of Raziel. "Our best guess is that we are dealing with a fallen angel from another world."

Raziel's estimate of how much Maggie would comprehend of the Abyss was right on target, judging by her expression. She could understand that it was what divided the worlds, though clearly bemused by the idea of other worlds in the first place,. That no human could safely traverse it, she accepted without question, though the sadness returned when the angel explained the fate of any human who tried.

Uriel's little verbal bomb completely distracted the priestess away from thoughts of the Abyss, however. "A fallen angel?" she repeated uncertainly. "Is that even -- I mean, wouldn't she have been -- wouldn't coming here have, well, turned her into a demon too? Or -- can you -- angels, I mean -- are you able to cross that Abyss safely?" Trying not to offend against either the angels or her own belief in them, while still wanting to understand, Maggie's sentences were uncharacteristically disjointed and confused, but an accurate reflection of her thoughts and feelings.

Raziel paid Uriel a sharp look: "It is only one possibility."

But the Angel of Light was quick to dismiss his statement: "It is the most likely possibility. Just because most of the Hellguard aren't comfortable with it doesn't mean that we should discard it. Or keep it from this council," she added. "I for one suspected it from the beginning - and now, after Alicante, I am certain. I have faced Ilhirel - and though I could taste the aura of demonkind and corruption about her as clear as the air that I breathe now, beneath it she was all light and fire. No demon in disguise could appear that way, or indeed go unnoticed under the gaze of the Creator's chosen. I have little doubt that she is in fact an angelic being, much like ourselves."*

Raziel said nothing, appearing to be in a state of contemplation with a slight frown on his face.

So it was that Uriel continued: "Us angels are no more meant to leave this world than you mortals are. Less so, even, for we are its appointed guardians and under much more restriction than you, who were given free will and free rein to do as you like. Thus if we attempted to traverse the Abyss, we would perish just as surely as a mere mortal would, though we would endure far longer and make for immeasurably more powerful servants of chaos; ones that wouldn't simply rival the Greater Demons, but dwarf them."

"Yet that doesn't seem to be the case with the Sorceress," Meric noted.

Uriel nodded. "Indeed. She neither appears nor acts as one who has been consumed by chaos. If she was, this realm would have been reduced to cinders three years ago - regardless of which side won the war. Instead, she chose to bother with ruling it, destroying those who opposed her yet sparing the lives of everyone else. She even dismissed the legions she commanded after the war, keeping them from causing further harm. She has shown mercy and compassion alongside cruelty and malice. I do not believe that she has fully succumbed to evil, though she has clearly aligned herself with it.

"Ilhirel's ability to walk through the Abyss seemingly unaffected is what puzzles us the most, but there are a great many possible explanations for it."

This time it was the northerner, A'kal, who spoke up: "Could the Hellguard of her world simply all be capable of it?"

"Impossible," Raziel returned to the discussion. "It would go against what the Creator has taught us: 'I am the Abysswalker; none traverse that realm but me, save those who dwell in its darkest depths.'" The angel's voice sounded even more solemn and ancient when he quoted the Creator's own words. The Great Hall of Tyr's Retreat was completely quiet for a while after.

Then Meric made a more disturbing suggestion.

"Could she have... killed one of her fellow angels? Absorbed their power somehow? Made herself powerful enough to survive the trip through the Abyss?"

The angels both looked upset at the idea, stricken even. They exchanged a grave look between themselves. It was unclear whether such a thought occurred to them earlier, or even if it had been imaginable at all.

"Possibly," Uriel said at long last. But that was all she said, and the implications of such an act seemed to weigh heavy on both her and Raziel.

What Uriel said about Ilhirel seemed to resonate with Maggie, causing her to remember the time she spent in Ilhirel's company at the Royal Palace. She, too had noticed the warmth and brightness associated with the Sorceress, along with everything else she hadn't expected to find there. The way she treated her, their strange conversation in the temple... It all seemed to make sense now, yet at the same time, Maggie got the distinct feeling that there was something else. It was like she'd suddenly found herself faced with a complete image of the puzzle she'd been working on, yet somehow finding herself with extra pieces that she did not know what to do with... Or how to explain.

Maggie put one hand around her Maker symbol, finding comfort in the feel of it under her fingers. "Angels can't traverse the Abyss, you said, but demons can. What if she absorbed some of their power instead? Wouldn't that make her more like them? And maybe make her more able to control them, as she's proven she can? If they'd had free rein, they'd have destroyed everyone long ago, but like you said, she's ruling, not destroying."

Auri listened to the others and the angels converse. In listening, he found himself doing a lot of learning. As far as the Sorceress was concerned, he could not care less that she was "compassionate" one moment while having the blood of countless innocents on her hands on the other. Regardless of what she was physically, she had long ago proven she was, in truth, evil-hearted. If she were truly good, she would have restored what she had stolen and used her powers to return the dead to life were it within her grasp to do so, and if not, do right by those she had wronged. As far as Auri was concerned, she was the one undisputed enemy of all that lived in Asgard that even these angels did not dare confront.

But these were only one aged wizard's opinion which he kept to himself, making no outward sign of any kind how he felt in the matter.

He continued to listen and learn.

Asher kept listening about the Sorceress, and referenced the new information to what he already knew in an attempt to find some weakness they could exploit.

The fact that she is ruling would mean that there are things she cares about, things that can be taken away or held ransom. But other than that, he only saw insurmountable walls being formed around her. He doubted any mortal skills would do the job.

What kind of power would one need to actually hurt, let alone destroy her? A being that even these "angels" have difficulty with?

Raziel let out a long sigh. "She should not possess these powers, but she does. She should not be here, and yet she is. We could stand here and guess at the explanations all day, and we would not be any closer to the truth than we already are. You have summoned us here for a specific purpose, Knight-Commander. I strongly suggest you bring it to light."

The angel's voice had an edge to it that Natalis didn't miss; a subtle warning that he wisely heeded: "Of course. My apologies." He cleared his throat before continuing.

"About a year ago, we intercepted a communique between members of Ilhirel's Circle - an order of her closest, most loyal servants. It mentioned some kind of gateway hidden in the Ald Mountains. Had the information not come from a trusted agent, we might never have committed the resources to confirm it. As it was, we were eventually able not only to confirm the gateways's existence, but its exact location as well as purpose - a stable portal between our world and the demonic realms, for Ilhirel's legions to use at will."

"That's impossible," Raziel said, and the look on his face was indeed one of restrained disbelief. Uriel wore a similar expression, but said nothing, prompting Natalis to continue.

"This matter immediately became our top priority. I'll spare this council of the details, but our investigation eventually unearthed a total of five such portals - or transdimensional gateways, as our Rifthunter friends have labeled them. Five gateways, scattered in strategic locations around the kingdom. We're not completely certain, but from what we've been able to piece together, all these gateways lead to the same place - some demonic world that acts as a hub for Ilhirel's legions, where they lie in wait, safely hidden yet able to instantly travel to any part of Asgard as the need arises."

Raziel frowned. "I find this extremely unlikely."

"Lord Raziel," a completely new voice said, belonging to a hooded figure that just stepped out of the crowd. The man proceeded to remove his hood, revealing a great many tattoos of swirling designs covering his face, neck, and hands, and possibly the rest of his body. This made him instantly recognizable as a Rifthunter to most people, even if they'd never met one. He introduced himself accordingly as he continued, bowing his head with respect towards the angels. "We of the Rifthunters did not believe it either, until we saw it with our own eyes. I was chosen to accompany the team sent to investigate the first gateway. I have witnessed it firsthand."

This seemed to give Raziel pause. He contemplated it some more, then faced Uriel. "What do you think?"

"I think that a stable gateway in the Veil is just as impossible as it is for Ilhirel to traverse the Abyss. And yet..."

"And yet." Raziel accepted. "Very well. Continue, Knight-Commander. I sense you have more to say."

Natalis nodded, encouraged. "The Sorceress has two main advantages over us. Her powers, which we can do little against... And the demonic legions that are under her command. The legions that are now, to the best of our knowledge, on the other side of those gateways, waiting. All that the Sorceress has to do is call them in. The fear of what would happen then is what's kept us from mounting a real uprising. Until now, that is. What we have here, now, is a unique opportunity to cripple the enemy - to cut Ilhirel off from her demon allies. I propose an alliance between the Resistance and the Hellguard. Between the Rifthunters, the Chosen, between anyone who shares her as a common foe. Together, we attack her gateways. All of them, at the same time. We destroy them, and she will find herself fighting alone against the world she sought to invade."

The Knight-Commander was done speaking. Now he looked to the eyes of those he mentioned for their answers.

Auri loudly pounded his dragon-headed cane three times on the floor. He proclaimed so that all gathered could hear. "Let history show that it was one of the Chosen who was first to lend his claw to this alliance!" Auri slowly and confidently stepped forward.

"I speak also as a wizard of my order and as an ambassador of my people! The drakkar were not put into this universe to please and satisfy as slaves and playthings of any creature, otherworldly or otherwise!" Auri bared his claws and fangs as a hidden fire lit in his aged eyes.
"If there is indeed a way for us to strike toward the freedom of all Asgard, let us be the ones to do it! Together! Not just for us, but for the futures of our children! So that they may live in freedom!"

Auri roared. "What example, today, shall we leave our offspring? I say it is better to fight and die towards something you believe in than to eternally crawl and squirm on your belly under a chain wrapped around your neck!"

Auri raised his cane high and shouted with all of his drakkar might, "I say freedom and justice for all of Asgard!"

Maggie stepped up beside her big, round friend. Though hers was a humbler, quieter, and distinctly slimmer presence, she was no less determined than the drakkar. "I am with you," she told Natalis firmly. "It's my calling to aid those in need, and in this case that's all of Asgard. What's more, there's probably demons guarding those gateways, and I've not just faced one before, I've helped defeat it." Hers had been the killing blow, actually, but she wasn't about to discount all that the others had done, nor the fact that it had been Battojutsu's sword she'd wielded at the time. "I'm not one to sit idly by when I'm needed," she finished.

Around 18:30 h

Auri's decisive stand would not have been out of place at a drakkar gathering. Here, in the company of... tamer species it came quite unexpected - but also helped to ignite the spark that Knight-Commander Natalis had laid the groundwork for. Maggie hardly had the time to finish speaking when Laurolf let out a passionate "Aye!" accompanied by the sound of his battleaxe's pommel hitting the stone floor.

"I'll be standin' with ye," he said, continuing: "Not just as Chosen, but a Runemaster of Knalga! There are still many a true dwarf left under the mountain; when the hour comes, I'll be damned if they don't answer my call!"

"The same," A'kal joined in. The northerner was the closest thing to a drakkar in terms of size. "I believe I can speak for the Varden on this occasion. We remember. We will fight." He paid Uriel a humble look that the angel did not miss.

Another foreigner, this one from a land much farther away, stepped forward. Battojutsu. "Yamatai may be too far to send help in time, but there is one Demonslayer already here - and he has already pledged himself to this cause. I also remember." The easterner acted as ceremoniously as befit an imperial envoy. When he finished, he looked up at the angels just like A'kal did before.

Meric said nothing, for a change - just nodded and observed the reactions of his fellow Chosen. Perhaps he sensed that there was no need to speak. Much like Violet, who simply stood quietly behind Natalis. Aside from them and the Chosen that were still unaccounted for (such as Henvei and Valtieri), that left only Dina. Sitting atop the dwarven throne, she did decide to ler her voice be heard.

"I address you now not as your queen, for I have not yet earned my crown, but as one of the Chosen. I will not sit idly by either. I will fight alongside you for what is rightfully ours."

A short clamor arose at that, followed by a loud applaud. It was silenced only by the indication that the angels were about to have their say in the matter. Uriel and Raziel exchanged glances between themselves, perhaps even communicating in some unknown way. It was Raziel who eventually spoke, looking across the crowd this way and that.

"The Hellguard will join your alliance," he simply said, and that was that. The easy part, an intelligent mind would remark.

A second round of applause followed shortly after, and it took Knight-Commander Natalis some effort to contain everyone long enough to explain that the first part of the council was concluded. All of the fine details and tactics for the joint assault would be discussed at a later time (likely extending into the next day), while the Chosen, the angels, and select few members of the Resistance hold a private briefing. You could see the disappointment and curiosity on the faces of those who weren't invited to this as they slowly filtered out of the great hall and into the growing darkness outside.

By the time it was done, only fifteen people remained in the room - a fourth of how many there had been just a couple of minutes ago. A pair of soldiers brought in a wooden table with some documents on top of it from a side room, then excused themselves with a salute, leaving only the two angels, the Chosen, the banns, Ambassador Fyke, and Archmage Arenov in the great hall of Tyr's Retreat.

Oh, and an almost forgotten young drakkar who still stood near to where he'd been in the crowd all this time. A new face to everyone except apparently Knight-Commander Natalis, who now beckoned him over as the group gathered around the table for the briefing.*

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

This entire meeting had been quite the shocker for Carn. While the succession talks were mildly interesting, the angels were utterly frightening and fascinating. Their entrance, their visage, their history, Carn couldn’t have processed all that he had seen and heard within the small span of that meeting. If prior events had played out differently, Carn would have been more than happy to leave with the rest. However, that wasn’t the case. He was here for a reason, one beyond just the Knight-Commander’s request.

Careful not to show any nervousness, Carn walked at a calm, even pace towards an open spot at the table. Upon arriving, his attention immediately turned towards the angels. They were more so intimidating and yet more so inviting closer up. Towards the two, he gave a respectful yet uneasy bow. He wasn’t sure if the angels had noticed him, but perhaps that was for the better. Immediately, he refocused himself towards the table and those that surrounded the table.

The Creator help me. He thought when it was painfully obvious that he stood heads taller than most. As unnerved as he was about that, however, he didn’t show any nervousness. It was easy for him to mask his uneasiness from anyone, minus the angels and the one of great girth. With that, he continued to look blankly at the maps while he waited for the Knight-Commander to begin the council.

Last edited:
"Meet Carn Barley," the Knight Commander made the introduction. "There aren't many drakkar in the Resistance, and there are fewer still who are able to say that they've been with us from the beginning. Carn's one of our finest agents. He's had experience working against Ilhirel's Circle in particular - he's not only helped us locate one of the demonic gateways personally, but is also responsible for acquiring information that we were able to use to pinpoint the others. It is thanks to people like him that we got this far."

The Knight-Commander proceeded to pick up and unravel a large piece of parchment across the table.

Amaranth_World_Map.jpg

"I've marked the locations of the gateways we've confirmed and located. The first was in the Ald Mountains, as I mentioned earlier. Next, in the marshlands in central Eldshaw. Thornwood Forest," Natalis pointed out each of the spots as he was listing them. "Sandpeak Mountain, north face - extremely hard to get to, and it wasn't without a few close calls. Carn can tell you all about it, the fourth gateway was his team's assignment. They eventually succeed, and we were already starting to work on the assault plans, when we received a critical piece of information that stopped us.

"Apparently, there's a fifth gate," Natalis' face looked more grim than ever at that revelation, suggesting nothing good was about to follow. "We have confirmed its existence and approximate location - somewhere along the coast, north from Darkvale and before you hit the Frigid Plains. Good enough to dispatch a team, so that's what we did. Carn is the only one who's made it back.

It wasn't only Natalis who turned to face Carn.

"I'd like to ask you to give your report one more time, soldier."

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

When Natalis began to speak, Carn refocused himself. After all this time, he attempted to prepare himself mentally to give an account of the assignment. However, despite being part of the race known for their grit and guts, he couldn’t stop from softly flinching when all gazes were upon him.

“I’d like to ask you to give your report one more time, soldier,” Natalis asked Carn. Upon hearing those words, gruesome images streaked across his mind as heat began flaring up in his chest. Carn made a hasty attempt to push it down before speaking immediately.

“We were attacked by a dragon,” Carn growled. His tone of voice surprised him. Usually, he was able to instantly mask his feelings but apparently not with this anger, an anger that burned against the "gods" of his ancestors. Carn took a proper deep breath before speaking in a calmer, stony voice. “It was swift and sudden. The dragon burned two into ash, ripped two into shreds, and impaled the last, my friend. Miraculously, he survived, but barely.” As he said those words, a pressing powerlessness began to weigh on him, but he remained vigilant and kept his emotions contained. “As per with my directives, I left him with a healer and returned, alone without the gate’s location.” Though none of it showed, his emotions were hot when he finished his report. There was, of course, much more to the report than that. The one Carn gave in private to the Knight-Commander was much longer, if not more emotional. However, this time, Carn was in the company of strangers.

“Knight-Commander,” Carn spoke across the table with a calm tone, “That is all that I will say.”

Maggie couldn't help but respond to Carn's emotions. Though he hid them well, except for the anger he'd quashed after his first sentence, she knew what he must be feeling at the loss of so many comrades, and the severe wounding of the one who was also his friend. To her, the very shortness of the report spoke to the depth of his feeling. With a fellow human, or an elf, she would have moved around Auri so she could place a hand on the young man's shoulder to try to comfort him, but she thought the drakkar might be too proud for that, especially given the effort he was putting in to conceal his emotions. Instead, she just looked sympathetic.

Listening to Barley's report, Auri nodded slowly to himself. Watched his friend and fellowship get mauled and slain by a dragon, did he? It must have happened recently too, the old wizard thought, given the amount of emotion still in him - a fresh wound indeed. The kind of wound that people like himself and Asher were familiar with. And yet, he survived and at least from this first impression, showed no sign of trickery or cowardice. He stated what was requested of him and, likely because of present company - angels included - and the newness of the incident, would say no more.

Auri thought Barley's first impression was a good one. He looked to the others, especially the Chosen to learn their reactions to Barley's news.

Last edited:

Around 18:30 h

Natalis looked like he'd expected the drakkar to say more, but did not push him. He frowned at the map for a second, then looked for reactions. Most people at the table behaved akin to Maggie; compassionate and understanding about the ordeal - except Laurolf, who looked more upset than anything.

"Blasted lizards!" he exclaimed, muttering some dwarven curse before suddenly remembering that he was in the presence of a couple of angels, and stopping himself short. Neither Uriel nor Raziel reacted in any way, however. He continued: "We've had our share of trouble with dragons, back in the old days. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger bloody menace, and our founding fathers had a whole manner of unsavory vermin to contend with, mind you - some of which never went away! But at least we got rid of the damn dragons."

"I thought dragons were extinct?" Dina asked, stepping down from the throne to approach the table between Meric and Violet.

"In the western part of the continent, yes," Meric explained. "As Asgard grew and civilization expanded, their numbers - never high to begin with - quickly diminished in relation. But dare to venture beyond the scope of civilization, into the vast wilderness that lies to the northeast of here, and you can still find them. You're not likely to, of course, but the possibility is real. I wouldn't expect to encounter one on the road to the City of Tears, however..."

Battojutsu fixed the collar of his jacket. "In my homeland of Yamatai, there are many dragons. We do not bother them, and they do not bother us. Only a fool would seek to change that." The westerner's statement caught most people by surprise, particularly Laurolf who looked like he was about to protest. Battojutsu waved him off in advance. "Ryu - dragons - do not look for people. It is people who look for them. Look for trouble. Dragons have no use for trouble."

Natalis frowned at that. "Are you suggesting that it attacked the team for a reason?" He paid Carn a curious glance, as well.

Raziel involved himself at that point: "Dragons are Creator's creatures, the same as any of you. They might be animals, but they are highly intelligent ones. While I regret the loss of life, I highly doubt that the attack was unprovoked - whether knowingly or not."

Carn Barley

- The Iron Wall -

Laurolf’s outburst garnered a slight nod from Carn. Carn was glad that someone else shared the same frustrations he had. That thought had a calming effect on Carn’s emotions. However, just as he was about to gather all his bearings, both Battojutsu and Raziel both gave their opinions. Carn’s jaw became tight throughout. His anger flared once more, but he didn’t know if it was because they were defending the beasts or because they were possibly right.

During the meager time from when he arrived a couple days ago, Carn was nearly obsessed with dragons, inquiring of everyone who had knowledge of them. Of his survey, he found dragons, amongst other things, were territorial and were prone to burn in markers on the ground. These markings could not be missed... unless they were covered by a layer of snow. On that day and the previous, it had been snowing heavily, meaning Carn's team couldn't have seen the warnings. Simply put, the team had wandered into dragon territory and got killed for it, but that conclusion didn’t sit with Carn. It just didn’t seem right. However, with no other information, Carn reluctantly accepted it and turned his attention to other things like preparing for the return. Then come the council with Battojutsu and Raziel. They sound like they were blaming the team, that they caused their own misfortune. In that accusation, Carn became angry. He wanted to prove the two wrong and to exonerate the team, his team, from their suggestion.

What is it? Carn thought to himself. From habit, he began fiddling with the smoothed end of his right horn, trying his best to find an answer. The dragon came out of nowhere, literally nowhere, and that without any hints of its existence. Wait, there really were no hints. Carn nodded towards the Knights-Commander, indicating that he would speak. From there, he faced the council and straightened himself up.

“I will add something,” Carn spoke up in stoic voice. All eyes fell upon him, but this time, he didn’t flinch. “We did not know that there was a dragon, and there were no hints to its existence. The village was not too far from the dragon, and yet no one told us about a dragon nor did the village seem damaged from attacks. Additionally, it was snowing hard that day and the previous. Any territorial markings would have been hidden. If there was any error, it was not with my team.” With that, Carn felt that he defended his comrades, proving that they weren’t negligent. While he was waiting for the response, a faint worry began to creep into his heart…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back