• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter VII: Revelations

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
QynFSeG.jpg

Chapter VII: Revelations

"If you know the enemy and know yourself,
you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)​

She remembered going down in a spray of blood, taunted by the glint of metal beneath a starry sky. The memory was vague and unclear, and before long it was gone altogether - replaced by a string of never ending nightmares that blurred one into another, before finally giving way to darkness; as cold and silent as the grave.

Something had killed her.

It was the last conscious thought she had, but also the first one that returned to her when, after an immeasurable period of time, she slowly started to return to her senses.

Something had killed her, but she was still alive. She could feel warmth on her skin, air in her lungs, could hear the calls of birds coming from somewhere far away. She struggled to open her eyes; her eyelids were almost too heavy, as if she'd spent her whole life asleep. Perhaps she still was? There was a certain dreamlike quality to it all, especially when she finally succeeded in opening her eyes and looked past the light that threatened to blind her, only to behold the face of an angel.

Except... It was no dream. And that was no angel, though one might easily have described her as angelic just then, standing there by the open window, pale skin bathed in the golden light of the setting sun. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail, and she was looking out as if pondering something. She lacked only a pair of white wings.

Niara let out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding.

"You're awake," said the Sorceress, openly relieved. "How do you feel?"

"I... I feel... awful," she managed to say after clearing her throat a little. Her own voice sounded foreign to her.

Ilhirel's expression shifted from relief to indifference. "You're a lot better than you were when I found you, I can tell you that much. Do you remember what happened?"

The elf maiden paused to think and tried to move while at it. She felt extremely weak and her mind was groggy, but oddly enough she could detect no serious harm. After a brief struggle she managed to sit up in bed, resting her head upright against the headboard. "I was... ambushed. Out on the terrace. An assassin...?"

"M-hm," came a nod from the Sorceress. "That sounds about right. Not that it would have taken a skilled fighter to end you in the state that you foolishly put yourself in."

At that she felt a wave shame wash over her, but she quickly remembered the rest. "I saw... I saw Dina. With the drakkar ambassador? And a priestess. And..."

"The so-called Chosen, yes. Dina's friends. I was actually expecting a rescue attempt, you know? Even hoping for one. But so soon? When the lot of them were supposed to be stuck in Dunn, with the local portal broken and the closest alternative being, what, two hundred miles away? And they did arrive via portal, that much is clear. But did they somehow repair the one in Dunn? Or perhaps..."

Niara was always careful not to interrupt her Mistress, especially during her musings, but the length of Ilhirel's pause was such that eventually she dared to speak again. "But you've... caught them?" she asked, feeling a little guilty for even doubting that.

"I was going to," Ilhirel replied with all the confidence in the world, "When at the critical moment I was suddenly interrupted by a messenger so out of breath, that his worn out state was probably the only reason why I didn't just kill him on the spot. It was his unit that found you, half dead in a pool of blood. As fast as I was, you were still practically dead by the time I got there. I had to expend a great deal of my own life force to save you."

Niara's eyes widened in shock as she realized the implications of what was just said. "Y-You... You let them escape... to save me?"

Ilhirel actually rolled her eyes at the question, like it was supposed to be understood. "What else? Even I can't be in two places at the same time."

"You should have let me die," the elven general half-whispered, in a voice that was on the edge of breaking. She looked away, helplessly bracing herself for the wrath she knew was coming.

And for a moment, it looked like it would. Ilhirel's jaw had already clenched with anger, the onset of a storm flashing in her eyes. But then she saw the misery on Niara's distracted face, the sudden tears spilling from the corners of her eyes - and her anger was gone as quickly as it had come. She sat down on the bed with a heavy sigh and gently put her hand on Niara's, feeling the elf tremble at her touch. She had never seen her quite so vulnerable before.

"Please don't say such things."

The sound of Ilhirel's unusually gentle voice made Niara look back at her. There was a fearful expression in her eyes, but mostly she simply looked heartbroken. "I ruined everything," she cried. "Those awful things I said to you, back in the Great Hall... In front of everyone. I f-failed in the one... one task you set for me. And then I went and nearly got myself killed, forcing you to choose between saving me or capturing the Chosen, which wouldn't even have happened in the f-first place if I hadn't... If I..."

In one smooth motion, Ilhirel leaned in and pressed her lips to Niara's - it wasn't so much a kiss as it was a means of silencing her. "Shhh. Nia," she whispered when she broke contact, though their faces remained very close. "You don't really think that there was a choice to be made, do you? That I had to think about saving you? The very moment I learned you were in danger, I was on my way. Nothing could have stopped me."

Niara lay very, very still faced with her Mistress. "N-Nothing?" she stammered, feeling a host of other feelings rising inside her, threatening to overwhelm her.

"Not even an angel," Ilhirel replied with a beautifully reassuring smile. "There actually was an angel, by the way. So I'm not just saying that."

"There was a... Wait, what?"

"Oh, we have a lot to talk about!" the Sorceress laughed, then leaned in and kissed her again. Properly this time.

Date: October 11th (Saturday), year 3321
Weather: A clear and cold Autumn day, with the sun low but still shining.

• Nested halfway up the eastern peaks of the Darkvale Mountains, near the spring of the river Dunnaev and overlooking Tallwood Forest, lay the ancient, half-forgotten fortress of Tyr's Retreat.

According to legend, the man who built the fortress was indeed no man at all, but a dwarven warlord; and it was done in those early years of the First Age, when the spirits of the Dwarves were still high and their dreams of land and wealth yet unspoiled. The warlord, Tyr, had made designs on Darkvale, particularly alongside the mountains that made up the northern boundary, seeing as that region was sparsely populated by the Elves, who at that time were anyhow still waging war against the Drakkar in the South. Having already played a part in the founding of the city of Dunn on the valley floor, in an attempt to further strengthen his position Tyr had also commissioned the construction of a fortress up on the mountain overlooking it.

Yet the expansion of the dwarves was halted before it could truly gain root. The Elves returned, with their human allies in tow, and began to forcefully expel the dwarves from Darkvale. While many fled back across the Plains of Fangír to seek refuge in Darkreach (which itself eventually came under siege that resulted in a stalemate and the signing of the peace treaty), some stubbornly remained and offered resistance. The chief among them was Tyr, whose pride would not let him relinquish that which he worked so hard for to build. Even after Dunn was lost, Tyr still preferred to hole up in his mountain stronghold and hope for reinforcements to retake the city, rather than march home.

It is said that Tyr fell in the siege that took place soon after, and that his remains are hidden to this day, somewhere in the ruined fortress whose true name has since been forgotten, and is now known as Tyr's Retreat.

Two thousand years later, Tyr's Retreat is the home of the Resistance.

It was to this place that Uriel's portal led the Chosen. Not just because it was safe, or because that's where they needed to go in the first place, but for the same reason that so many others had traveled to the fortress over the last several days: to participate in an event as important as it was remarkable. A gathering of those united under the same banner by a common foe; the Sorceress Ilhirel. A council of war, which according to rumors would see the attendance of the mythical Hellguard itself...

To accommodate the Chosen's late arrival and grant them time to rest from their difficult journey, the time of the meeting was set for 6 o'clock in the afternoon.

Until then, what anyone decided to do with their time was their own affair.

Last edited:

Despite the late night, with all its unusual events, Maggie had woken up as usual to greet the sun. She had always found dawn prayers to be particularly solemn and refreshing, feeling her heart rise with the sun as it began the day's journey. It was a time to be quiet and alone, just her and her Maker, and remember who she was at her soul's core. No matter what trials the day might bring, that time to just be still gave her the strength and courage to face it, to know herself more fully, and to touch, even for a moment, the spirit of the divine being who had given her breath and purpose.

After her morning devotions, she went looking for Dina, but by then it appeared the poor girl had a "waiting list" of people who wanted to talk to her! Maggie duly put her request in, hoping she wouldn't be a bother, and then went to explore Tyr's Retreat. At first, she was particularly interested in finding the infirmary, or wherever the Resistance's wounded were, so that she could offer healing to any in need (and she wouldn't take any nonsense about her needing rest first, either!). After lunch, she found a quiet place to take a short nap (they had, after all, had a very exciting night), and then went looking for Auri to see if he wanted to join her for more explorations, which she intended to do even if he had other work to keep him busy.

Finally the summons came that Dina was free to talk to them, and she went quickly to the Pine Garden to meet her, offering a nod and a smile to the guards as she passed them.

"You look better," the priestess said. "Yes, and I hope I'm not a bother, but I really wanted to see how you were doing, and if there was anything I could do to help. We didn't have much chance to talk in Dunn before, well, before." She smiled shyly, suddenly and uncharacteristically hesitant. "I bought a dress for you there, but I'm afraid it's probably back at Auri's house with the rest of my gear. And, well, you look rather more comfortable in what you have on now, anyway."

Auri Grashaal the Insatiable

- Drakkar Ambassador to Asgard -

Auri was glad to be alive. After all that had happened, he had felt like a minor spectator in grand designs that were far above and beyond his comprehension despite all of his time on this world. Since coming to Tyr's Retreat, he had traveled with Maggie and explored, learning what he could be it by spoken word, book, or map. The old drakkar, cane in hand, had decided to firmly stay out of the gaping chasm between Asher and Meric, for each had their reasons. Still, he hoped he would not be called upon to referee some duel-to-the-death between the two. Such "honorable" events were simply expensive folly in Auri's mind. So instead, why not browse the dining areas and kitchens for delicious recipes and ideas? Why not peruse libraries full of tomes, scrolls, and gossiping personalities for things of interest that might help them on their journey? Why not study his own magic while keeping his natural abilities to roll around and exhale elements well-honed? In other words, he and Maggie were alive, so why not live?

Upon putting in his request and later proceeding into The Pine Garden, he was happy to see Dina and Maggie together. Auri spread his draconic arms wide as if greeting old friends (for Maggie was one and he loved making people feel comfortable)! "Maggie! Dina! So good to see you!" He waved his dragon-headed cane toward Dina. "You are right, young lady - we must live as we may while we can. For life is a diamond turning to dust. Believe me, I know."

"Life is a diamond turning to dust." - Neil Peart of Rush from the song "Neurotica" from their Roll the Bones album

He expressed his compassion for Dina, whom he hardly knew, thusly. "You must have made quite the impression on my dear friend Maggie for her to go to all this fuss! I fear we have not been properly introduced. I am Auri Grashaal, wizard, former warrior, and now-ambassador of my proud Drakkar nation. And since you are a clear friend of Maggie's, I would be your friend as well, if I am welcome." He bowed in a fashion to Dina. "How are you feeling here in Tyr's Retreat?"

Nadhoron

- Swordmaster of Lake Wyn -

Nadhoron left his training ground the day before the war council and traveled by horseback throughout the night. Two of his students accompanied him to join resistance forces stationed in the area south of the Darkvale Mountains. His summoning to the war council had stumped him upon its arrival, forcing him to further contemplate his position on the validity of the resistance movement. But he nevertheless departed as soon as possible, figuring he could settle his mind on the matter at a later time.

He arrived alone at Tyr’s Retreat at noontime on the following day. He was immediately notified by liaison that Knight-Commander Natalis had requested his presence at the observatory prior to the council itself. Nadhoron had met Natalis briefly during the war but the two never spoke directly to one another. In the meantime, he got settled in his lodging and spent an hour attempting to meditate. His efforts proved fruitless, and he decided that his subconscious must be too fractured in the present moment. His doubts about the war council kept popping into his frame of mind, which was unusual for an elf who had practiced mental awareness and control for close to a hundred years. He hadn’t experienced such distress since the end of the war and now he found himself back in that same environment he so triumphantly left behind. Something had awakened within, a conflict of the mind that he would have to deal with. Suffice to say, he didn’t like it.

To face the problem, he decided to walk the grounds of the fortress. There were some familiar faces, most of which he glanced during the war, but none of which he could attach a name to. The war was a tragic time and Nadhoron spent it increasingly troubled and withdrawn. As time was nearing his scheduled meeting with the Knight-Commander he still found himself torn. However much he tried to tell himself that the resistance was the only game in town, he couldn’t deny his original concern about the foolhardiness of humankind. And then there was that anxious feeling. He was losing control.

He chose to postpone the matter and prepared to do the same to any question from the Knight-Commander about him fighting for the resistance. Briefly taken aback by the stunning view, he made his way up to the observatory. To his great disappointment, he found that it wasn’t as solitary as he would’ve liked and Natalis had yet to arrive on the scene. He straightened his back and moved to the center of the observatory where he was suddenly reminded that he had failed to think of Ashura for several hours.

Last edited:

A few hours after passing through the Angel's portal, arriving at Tyr's Retreat, they were all allowed to go have some rest. There was going to be a council of war, apparently. Though outside of his expertise, Asher planned to at least observe it.

Asher walked around the grounds of the ancient fortress now packed with people, trying to find some more secluded place to gather his thoughts. While searching, it seemed that more and more eyes were upon him, with voices mentioning him as being part of the group that arrived through the portal, being a part of the Chosen, and some ridiculous tales of them facing the Sorceress in direct combat and whatnot. Fame and recognition.

In his long career as a thief, then Thieves Guild master, Asher kept his anonymity. Never once did he have a wanted poster, not one whisper of his name in the crowds. He could walk the streets of Anapolis with nothing more than the occasional, curious glance thrown at him.

Another thing that was lost.

The crowds were thinner at the Easter Observatory, but that only meant that the individuals were more daring. Instead of just looking they decided to approach him and question him about the events before his group arrived here. To avoid them, Asher though to climb one of the towers, but realized that that would only garner more interest. Instead, he stood among them in silence, refusing to answer any questions in hope of them giving up.

While waiting, he thought of the events that transpired up until now. The image of his blade stabbing Niara kept showing up. With the feeling of metal stabbing raw flesh still fresh in his hand, there was no doubt he succeeded, and with the target being such a vital point, Niara was dead.

But if he saw her today already, marching at them with an army, Asher would not be surprised.

I hope at least a scar would remain.
Asher thought, then tightly clenched his fist, his black leather glove still stained with blood.

• Around 17:00 h | One hour before the war council
    The Pine Garden, Tyr's Retreat

"I feel better," Dina replied to Maggie's question. "Even though I can't say that my stay at the palace was entirely unpleasant, I am glad to be here. It is... It's good to be around familiar faces."

The young girl smiled politely, but her tone was almost melancholy. It was hard to tell in the fading light of the garden what her true condition was, especially at a glance, but she did not seem happy. At least she was alright, if a bit tired.

"Forgive me. Though others have done it for us, we have not been properly introduced. I am Dina Ailsa Tenárus1. One of the Chosen - and claimant to the throne of Asgard," she added the latter after a brief pause during which her smile evolved into a grin, only to disappear entirely in the next moment. She also rolled her eyes; a simple gesture that drew attention to the fact that the purple coloration in her irises did not disappear overnight. "That would have to be my official introduction at this point, I suppose. They may be guarding me as if I were royalty, but apparently that has yet to be ascertained2. It actually bothered me when they told me, at first - the thought that I might not be who I say I am. That I could be lying, or simply mistaken. Violet vouched for me of course, but important as she is, seeing as she learned of my heritage the same way I did, she could just as easily be wrong. So her approval merely got me this far.

"But then... Then it occurred to me what a relief that could be. To suddenly not be expected to rule over a kingdom. To not have my words and deeds impact a million other lives, only my own. To just... To just be my nineteen year old self, and worry only about the little things I used to worry about..."
    Dina grew more distant as she spoke, until she was no longer even looking at Auri or Maggie. She seemed to reach some kind of conclusion though, for she closed her eyes and breathed deeply in and out. "Mist- Ilhirel... would laugh at me if-" she suddenly stopped herself with a frown. "I don't know why I said that. I don't know why I'm saying any of this - here I am rambling when I should just be thankful that you've come to my rescue. All of you," she looked first at Maggie and then, with a particularly apologetic expression, at Auri. "Even some whom I had never even met. You all came, despite the danger. Thank you."

Dina introducing herself this way would not fail to strike Auri as highly unusual. There is simply no precedent for the ancient Tenárus name to be given, in official capacity or not, alongside another surname, in this case Dina's maiden name.
    It is common knowledge that Tenárus blood is dominant. A child born to one parent from the Tenárus bloodline will always be pure-blooded, regardless who the other parent is. There are no bastards or illegitimate children. This isn't arbitrary. It's factual - and this fact can be tested, though few know exactly what this test entails or what exactly makes a Tenárus, well, a Tenárus.

Last edited:
Nadhoron

Nadhoron had been lost in thought during the Knight-Commander's approach, and it had unseated him a bit upon its reveal. He turned to face a man he had only seen in a more complicated position and found that his own image of the man had not been consistent with reality. Expecting Natalis to look as he did in his wartime condition was a foolish exercise, but often you can't help but view people as they were during your last encounter.
"Yes, Commander. And thank you for inviting me up here. Beautiful scene."

Last edited:

Maggie smiled warmly. "It was my pleasure, truly. And even if they do prove you the true heir, you can always come to me when you need to be just another girl. We'll have a nice ordinary time of it, with tea and cookies and hair ribbons." She paused a moment, then smiled ruefully. "Or whatever else you'd like to do. I suppose I'm not all that ordinary myself." The priestess brushed at her robes to indicate what she meant by that. It didn't compare with suddenly finding out you were a princess, of course, but hers and Dina's childhood had probably been rather different. She looked into the other girl's eyes. "Is there... anything else I can do for you? Right now, I mean. You seem out of sorts."

Auri brought his claw to his mouth, grinned, and coughed politely. "Of course, if the two of you start up with the braiding-of-the-hair and talking-about-the-boys, I might have to find a well-made-up plan to excuse myself. Say, to the kitchen, or to the libraries, or well, you know!" And after the look Maggie gave her friend Dina, the wizardly drakkar was prepared to do just that!

Dina returned a weak smile to Maggie's reassurance.

"It's just... A lot has happened in these last few days," she said. "I feel like I'm still catching up with it, and now even more is about to take place. And then after, after all's said and done, I don't know where my place will be in all of it."

The girl really did appear troubled. Yet who could fault her? She frowned a little, still pondering that topic before eventually focusing on Auri.

"Oh. Ambassador Grashaal. Does this mean you've joined the Chosen? Or are you just a member of the Resistance?"

Auri looked at Maggie with an awkward draconic grin and fidgeted sheepishly like someone much younger. To be one of the Chosen? Why, he hardly knew what it really meant! During all the action that had happened in less than a week's time, he had never once considered himself to be anything more than a friend to Maggie and those she was looking out for and a member of the Resistance.

"Oh, do call me Auri! As for being one of the Chosen, I honestly can't say! I am willing, but that sort of thing is decided by its members like any other club or informal gathering, I would think. Whatever my role, I simply enjoy being a helping claw as it were." He leaned on his dragon-headed cane and wiggled his free claw in a humorous fashion.

Nadhoron

The elf knew that these overtly militaristic types were often unsurprisingly forward but there was something about the Knight-Commander's hasty assertion that struck Nadhoron as unsettling. Was their situation so dire that they had to call even the least loyal of loyalists for the cause? Or had Natalis adopted a purist streak and begun to fear that his advisors had neglected the value of absolute moral certainty in recruitment?

Nadhoron felt as if he should take a step back but he kept his face as plain as it had been before Natalis' question and didn't allow his eyes to travel.

"It is true, I have heeded those calls. But you, as well as many others present here with us, know that I have done my fair share in the past."

It was still unclear to him why Natalis had chosen to confront him with this in private and he was unsure whether to be worried.

Last edited:

Maggie reached over to pat Dina's hand. "Well, whatever happens, I'll still be your friend, OK? You won't be alone."

She caught Auri's look and wanted to laugh, but held back lest Dina think she was laughing at her, which she certainly wasn't. "You know, I don't think I've actually joined the Chosen myself, just the Resistance. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it means, really. We didn't have much time for explanations at Dunn." She smiled. "But like Auri, I'm more than willing to help however I can."

"There was a fight, I don't know how many died." Asher said at last, reminded that it wasn't just him that lost people. Blood or not, his comrades were the only family he had.

"I don't know about any angels, but we were saved by... a certain power. For anything else... well, you have your prayers."

Dina nodded in response to what Auri and Maggie said. "Well, it's not like there's an initiation ceremony. As long as the others trust you enough to accept you.. And perhaps, after this council meeting, the Chosen and the Resistance will become one and the same. Our goals are already aligned, as far as I can tell. I'm sure... I'm sure it'll all be fine."

Despite Maggie's reassurance, the young girl still looked worried about what was to come. Even hesitant. She sighed, looking down the forest trail.

"I think I'm going to go back. It won't be long now. Would you two care to accompany me?"

"It would be my pleasure, Dina!"

The opportunity to take a stroll with not one lady, but two? And one a deep friend and another a friend-in-the-making? What gentleman could resist the offer? He held out an arm to each of them and took no offense if he had to settle only for his cane as company.

Maggie smiled. "Of course we will!" she replied. "We'll sit with you, too, if you'd like, unless they have assigned seats or something. I'd much rather be next to you than someone I haven't met before." She was about to take Dina's hand, but Auri beat her to it, offering each of the girls an arm like a proper escort. The priestess took her place (and Auri's arm) on one side of him, then leaned around his great girth to grin encouragingly at Dina.

Nadhoron

Nadhoron had not intended to come off as defensive, but while gathering himself to respond he came to wonder if he had. Natalis' remarks were nevertheless well-conceived, and Nadhoron had to admit the commander had his number here. Nadhoron, still reluctant to give in, uttered but a low and reflective hum. And with it, he turned to glance the landscape again. "I respect your attentiveness, Knight-Commander, and I thank you for meeting me. You are right about the challenges we face, and I do admire the efforts of the resistance. If you lead on, I will follow. Either that or I will find my own way to the council," he replied calmly with his eyes assertively fixed on the expanse beyond.

The two soldiers walked away, leaving Asher alone to his thoughts. The area near him clear, his focus shifted on the pair having a conversation a bit further away. A man donning a ceremonial armor of some kind, and a shadow elf. From the conversation, or bits of it that he could hear, it would seem like the man was someone from high up in the resistance, and the elf also carried some weight to his name.

Hearing them talk, Asher realized that he didn't actually know his way around the fortress. He decided to approach the duo and ask about where the council would take place;

"Excuse my impoliteness, are you two heading to the council soon? Mind if I tag along?"

Weather: A clear and cold Autumn day.

Around 18:00 h
The Great Hall, Tyr's Retreat

The great hall of Tyr's Retreat was exactly what one would expect the centerpiece room of a fortress to be like. Not quite as large as those of castles, and not nearly as embellished. Structurally it was surprisingly intact, though it was clear that the Resistance had made a few repairs to achieve that. There was but one way in and out of the chamber - through a great, heavily reinforced gate - making it obvious that the hall was designed to serve as ground for a final stand. A role that, if the legend was true, it had indeed served once upon a time.

At this hour, next to no light filtered in through the small, square windows placed at intervals high up the side walls. The room was lit primarily with braziers that burned bright and hot, casting dancing shadows on the walls and the faces of the fifty or so people gathered. At the far end of the room rose a large but simple throne, made of stone. A dwarven warlord's throne, built on a rectangular pedestal the height of a single step. It was unoccupied, except for a flat wooden box placed in the center of the seat.

On one side of the throne stood Knight-Commander Oscar Natalis, clad in ceremonial heavy plate. On the other side, Arthur Teagan, the Bann of Darkvale. Next to Teagan was an equally important-looking man whose pale appearance and dress betrayed his northern origin; he could have been no one save Viktor Maksimir, the Bann of the Frigid Plains who, as the Chosen remembered, was missing at Ilhirel's table the night before. The Dwarven Ambassador, Ragnar Fyke, was also present here when he hadn't been yesterday. Another northerner, whom Dina remembered and the other Chosen heard about during introductions was Soreas Arenov, the Archmage of Dunn's Mages Guild. And finally, there was Violet Robbins, hanging back behind her commander.

Those were the most notable and recognizable individuals, those that occupied the space surrounding the throne. The rest formed two loosely circular rows on each side of the great hall, facing towards them. The Chosen were somewhere among that number, arrayed as each of them liked. Now that the initial introductions had been made and the murmurs were dying down, more and more heads were turning in silence towards Knight-Commander Natalis, who was expected to start the council at any moment.

Last edited:

Auri silently gazed about the great hall with a combination of reverence and childlike fascination. Unwilling to break the barrier of quiet that loomed, he let his mind wander in wonder. The conversations that must have taken place here! The decisions, the plotting, the vastness of matters affecting so many people and their destinies all here in one room. Oh, how he wished he possessed the magic to make the walls talk! The past would come alive with lessons!

But the present was here too. It was tall and appeared solemn. Auri gave a nod toward Bann Teagan for he was glad to see the human here and whole after all that had happened. There were many presences here, many changers of realms and twisters of fates affecting the present and likely the future. To be here in this hall was so much more exciting than performing simple ambassadorial duties in the other reaches of the world. Perhaps here he could return to his love of wizardry and make magic all his own before his time in the world expired. Anything was possible.

Such were the thoughts of an old drakkar - a drakkar who still held the light of a child bright inside his heart.

Maggie had come in with Auri and was now standing next to him (and Dina, if she had stayed with them after their walk?). She peered through the crowd, looking for her friends, and giving each a wave and a smile when she found them. She also gave a small wave to Bann Teagan and Violet when she saw them up with the other important people, but would not be offended if they didn't see or didn't return her wave. There were important things to be done here, after all, and she was just one priestess amongst many other members of the Resistance. She stared curiously at the box on the throne, wondering what could be inside, and waited for things to start.

Last edited:
v6qHCZ2.jpg

"We are gathered here on this day for a council of war," Natalis spoke, pausing for just a few moments to assure he had everyone's attention. His stern gaze briefly passed over the rows of people who stood before him. "As Knight-Commander of the former Royal Army and the leader of the Resistance, I will preside over this meeting until it is adjourned - yet the thing that shall bring us to resolution is not my voice, but the voices of all of us, together. Do not hesitate to speak your mind when appropriate to do so, regardless of your name or station. Now let us begin."

"First and foremost, there is the matter of royal succession. Three years ago, Anglimar Tenárus, our rightful king and ruler of Asgard, was unjustly taken from us. His death marked the end of an ancient bloodline that had ruled Men since time immemorial - or so it seemed. For today, against all odds, one rises who would lay claim to his name and legacy."

Natalis barely managed to finish his last sentence; already voices began to stir, from the front and back rows alike. A few sounded distinctively unfriendly.

"Silence! You will have your chance to speak! First, let the challenger come forth! Dina," Natalis addressed the girl, "Step forward, please. The council will hear out your claim."

Encouraged, Dina took three steps forward until she found herself between the knight-commander and the crowd. Those who knew her could probably read the discomfort on her face even as she strove to disguise it. Behind her, behind Natalis himself, Violet's own reaction was unhidden. The elf looked more than a little upset at how the notion of a legitimate successor was initially received. It must not have been what she expected, but as it turned out, Dina could fend for herself nonetheless.

"My name is Dina Ailsa," the girl said, in a voice that did not falter. "My mother was Evelyn Ailsa, a healer of the Royal Houses of Healing. My father... I never knew my father. I never knew anything about him. Not until many years later - until after we had moved from the city to the outskirts, until the Great War came and went, and my mother sacrificed her life in defense of those who were too sick or injured to defend themselves. Before she died, she finally spoke to me about my father, who by then had already been killed by the Sorceress - Anglimar Tenárus, the King of Asgard. I am his daughter."

By the time Dina finished speaking, voices did not simply stir. They exploded. And not in a good way.

Many were simply shocked. More than a few outright rejected her claim, declaring it impossible. Some even went as far as to resort to ridicule and laughter, perhaps not aimed at Dina herself, but objectively at the fact that such an idea was even being entertained. Natalis asked for silence again, but for every voice he silenced, two more had something to say. It was enough to cause Violet to stand next to her commander and join the fray.

Dina stood oddly resolute in spite of it all, though the ordeal so far can't have made her feel pleasant in any way.

Dina's new position still put her directly in front of Maggie and Auri, for the three of them had been close together at the front where Natalis stood. This was a good thing, Maggie decided, because it meant she could smile encouragingly and Dina would have a good chance of seeing her. Then the ruckus erupted around them. Overwhelmed by sheer noise for several minutes, the priestess nonetheless tried to maintain her view of her friend, up by the throne. Despite Natalis and Violet's efforts, however, things didn't seem to be calming down any. Well, perhaps she could help. She turned to the nearest objector and tugged on his arm until he stopped protesting (or laughing) long enough for her to interject. She didn't try to be heard by everyone, just this one person. "We can't all be heard at once," she reminded him. "Isn't there a way to prove whether she's got the Tenárus bloodline? The Knight-Commander will know how. Let it be proven, or disproven, before we decide on her claim. In any case, we need to keep order here or nothing will get resolved." Without waiting for a response, but hoping she had at least got the man thinking, she moved on to the next objector to make the same argument.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back