• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maggie

Maggie stared up at the queen, clearly surprised. "Because I'm a priestess, you mean? I'm not all that special otherwise. I'm just me." She looked at the door with mingled apprehension (because she would probably find herself alone with Ilhirel, and who knew what would happen after that) and a great deal of curiosity. Maggie truly didn't know what the queen found so fascinating about her. She considered herself an ordinary enough priestess, albeit one with wanderlust, and aside from her priesthood, an ordinary enough young woman. Her faith was so much a part of her that she didn't realize it alone could set her apart from the courtiers and politicians whose company they were leaving behind, to say nothing of her genuinely caring, unselfish personality. But perhaps Ilhirel had something in mind even beyond these.

Last edited:

Before doing anything in the room, Asher wanted to make sure no one was just under the trapdoor, able to hear stuff happening in the room. He lowered his posture and slowly crept up to the rooms only true entrance. He would have to somehow remove anyone just outside this room if he was to move stuff around in it.

If it turns out there was no one in the audiable vicinity, Asher wanted to inspect the books more closely, check desks drawers and wardrobe for any burnables like oil or kindling, and also to try finding some flint and steel since he didn't want to waste a noisemaker arrow.

• Around 20:45
    The Great Hall, Alicante's Royal Palace

"It is not because you are a priestess," Ilhirel replied. "If anything, it is the other way around - you've become a priestess because of that which makes you different. You've had a difficult childhood, I suspect," she said, sidetracking for a moment. "Am I right?"

*** *** ***​

Back by the tables, Meric had begun sifting through the closest desert tray - a wondrous array of multicolored fruit cakes.

"It must be something that Maggie said," he pondered. "But don't fault yourself, ambassador. You did not drag her into this. She wanted to come. She would have anyway, for Dina. And I would not give into despair so soon if I were you. As unpredictable as the Sorceress is, this is out of her character. I doubt that she means to bring Maggie to harm, at least for the time being. In the meantime, maybe we can use this... unexpected turn of events to our advantage. Look; they seem about to leave the Great Hall altogether - and getting to Dina should prove much easier without the Sorceress in the way. Maggie might have just done us a great favor, whether she knows it or not."

The elf then subtly re-examined the surroundings and leaned ever so slightly closer towards Auri. "I don't know if Maggie's told you, but she faced off against a Greater Demon not three nights ago. And struck the killing blow herself. She's more capable than you know."

Last edited:
Auri Grashaal the Insatiable

- Drakkar Ambassador to Asgard -

Auri whispered back to Meric. "Maggie and I know each other well, Meric; I have the fullest confidence in her skills, good sense, and integrity. However... we are dealing with The Sorceress - she-who-holds-such-magic-as-to-have-conquered-my-entire-nation. We are alive because she decided not to kill us all. And not just mine, of course." Auri shook his head. "As far as I know, she has no equal in present or past.

"And now... were she to decide to make dear Maggie to follow in Dina's footsteps, there is not a thing I find I can do about it. The Sorceress's magic, skills, and abilities dwarf mine as raging volcano to table candle."

"Maggie is one of the finest people I have known in 350 years of life. She is in the clutches of the one being, through her magic and her demon hordes, who can end all life across the land were she so inclined - and I brought her to the head table, closest to this danger. You know what I believe?" The old drakkar sighed. "Unless the situation somehow changes, I believe I will have another fruit cake..." Auri reached for the table.

Maggie

Maggie shook her head. "I wouldn't have called it so. I mean, I suppose it was unusual, being raised in the temple, but I liked it, and I was happy there." She smiled suddenly. "I'm still happy there, I just like to wander, too. I like seeing new people and new places, but I like knowing that my home is always there waiting for me, too. Maybe someday when I've seen enough -- if I ever see enough," she laughed, "I'll stay there always."

Auri's words seemed to have spoiled Meric's appetite, assuming he had one to begin with.

"I don't need to be reminded of what we are dealing with. A threat beyond any of us, yes - pretty and harmless though it may appear on the outside. But not all-powerful. Certainly not all-knowing, either. And we don't know that she's done anything to Dina. Aside from her dress, she appears to be the same girl that I've traveled with for the last two weeks." But even as he said so, Meric casually looked over his shoulder to where Dina was standing next to General Shadowleaf and Erya Ryagundi.

"Either way, Maggie's cover is foolproof. She has zero affiliation with us or the rebels. She's no one. Whatever Ilhirel's interest is, she has no reason to harm her," he deducted, then after a pause added: "It was unpredictable, but it's also probably the best chance we'll get. I think we should we make our move now."

*** *** ***​

Meanwhile, Ilhirel and Maggie had reached the exit. The two knights stationed there stood motionless as statues before them. Ilhirel, on the other hand, was all but. She was alive and pleased, and seemed completely unfazed at having her assumption proven wrong.

"Raised in the temple? I see. Then your calling is even less of a surprise for that," she said. "Yet I wouldn't be surprised even were it otherwise. It suits you. It most certainly does."

Casting one glance back towards the center of the Great Hall, Ilhirel led Maggie out into the hallway, and then outside into the courtyard beyond.

To Meric, he whispered. "Do what your elven mind tells you, Meric. I will... try to follow if I am able." It was the best answer he had given the situation. Not knowing what Meric meant to do or how the general who guarded Dina was to be dealt with, Auri looked in the direction the queen had taken Maggie. Seeing neither queen nor healer, the old drakkar quietly examined the people in the room, his teammates included, their positions to the exits, and anything else that might have been out of the ordinary.

Then, when he hoped no one was looking, he covertly stuffed a drakkar-sized handful of those delicious fruit cakes in his pocket to give to Maggie later.

Maggie

Maggie smiled at the queen's compliment. "I hope so! I feel it does. I can't imagine being anything else." She looked back when Ilhirel did, wondering what she was looking at. If Maggie happened to see Auri, Meric, or anyone else she knew, she smiled reassuringly at them before facing forward once more and looking up at her companion. "Where are we going, your Majesty?" she asked as they passed through the hallway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher decided to investigate the drawing of the Serpent constellation more closely, despite his disgust for such things.

Over the ages he faced plenty of eccentrics finding joy in creating puzzles to protect their treasures, paranoid nobles with too much time and money on their hands, and crafty scholars afraid of the judgement they would receive if their secrets were exposed. Asher always found the puzzles they made more annoying than anything, as they got in the way of his time-essential jobs, and after solving his hundredth one he started to downright hate them.

The kindling that were the furniture and books were old and dry, and would make an excellent fire once he grouped them up together, tore a few pages from one of the books, then disassembled a noisemaker arrow and used its gunpowder as a starter. It shouldn't take him too long to set up and the fire would spread rapidly, so he had time to investigate, though probably not as much patience.

Date: October 10th, year 3321
Weather: A dark, cloudy night with occasional gusts of chilly wind.

After his talk of taking action, the elf seemed highly hesitant in contrast all of a sudden.

"Niara and I have a... Well, a history, as they say," he revealed at length. "I think it's best that we do not cross paths on this particular occasion. Why don't you handle it, ambassador? Erya will help you; she is already there. Between the two of you, you should be able to distract the general long enough for me to get Dina out of the hall. It's better than sitting here and worrying about Maggie."

Maggie

"I want to show you something," Ilhirel answered as they stepped outside into the courtyard.

"Oh?" Maggie wondered as they crossed the courtyard. Her memory of Meric's map had faded somewhat with the surprises and feelings that had passed between then and now, and she didn't remember exactly what this wing held until the doors of the oratory came into view. Startled, she glanced at Ilhirel before staring at the doors ahead of them. For any number of reasons, this was the one temple of the Maker she'd never expected to see personally. Yet here she was, and guided by the queen, no less!

She hesitated only out of politeness; when Ilhirel said, "Go on, it's unlocked," she strode quickly to the doors and reached to open one wide enough to allow them both entry. Awe, curiosity, and the happiness of exploration filled her eyes, face, and every movement.

Auri was puzzled. He could not find a satisfying distraction that would suit his needs, however there was one that knew the general far better than he. To Meric, he whispered again. "Try as I might, I cannot think of anything. Meric, you know this general. What do you recommend?"

Auri's face was filled with a hopeful expression. He wished dearly Meric would be able to succeed where the old drakkar had not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher decided to try and correct the Serpent constellation, or at least draw over the existing one. Surrounded by nothing but dust and kindling, Asher used his dagger to scratch the markings of the proper constellation. If he worked off of his memory, he'd have a hard time to draw it correctly, but just mirroring again the existing constellation made it much easier.

It would take a lot of time for such an endeavour, but just abandoning the process and starting the fire was easy enough.

Sighing, Meric slumped back in his seat.

"I suppose that's a fair question," he said, casually checking to confirm their relative privacy. Though the Great Hall was filled with people, no one was hanging out too close to their end of the table. "I forget that though you know who she is, you can't know what she's like. Or what she used to be like, at least - while she still considered herself a princess of Eldshaw, and her duty to her family and realm was foremost in her mind."

A shadow of thought appeared on Meric's face then, and he seemed indeed troubled, and that shadow passed not but lingered for a good while.

"Niara was always so inquisitive. I suspect that's what Ilhirel used to lure her in, to charm her somehow. They both share the trait, yet... But I digress. Niara doesn't seem to be the same person I once knew, ambassador, but I doubt that part of her has changed. She's grown prouder, haughtier, and her loyalty to Ilhirel parallels some kind of obsession, an infatuation, even - these things will make it difficult to disrupt her task of guarding the girl, which I don't doubt is the single instruction Ilhirel left her with, but a wise play on Niara's base nature might help set up a distraction.

"But you can't make it too obvious. She's perceptive. She'd see through a simple ruse right away. Even... Well, even if her behavior does seem, to me at least, strange. It's as if something's put her in a foul mood..." Meric trailed off, momentarily lost in thought, and then his expression lit up. "Has something happened at your table? I completely forgot to ask, and I've been meaning to. After all, that was some dinner company you've just enjoyed, ambassador. Do you have any observations of your own to share?"

Last edited:

Armed with Meric's insight, Auri found himself in more of a bind concerning the general. She required a ruse and though she was curious, she was also very sharp. The old drakkar thought hard. What could tear a dutiful person like the general away from Dina? The general had to know that The Sorceress would likely have her hide if Dina were allowed to escape. And yet, Auri could not shake the feeling he had only one shot at this.

The odds were not with him.

His thoughts lingered to Asher. What could that cunning son of shadows be up to? Meric did not seem to be worried about him. Perhaps there was no need to be worried about him.

Auri decided to catch Meric up on all that he had missed. Having no certain insights except the general's evident jealousy of Dina in regards to The Sorceress, Auri made certain Meric learned about that.

Still, Auri's thoughts drifted toward Maggie. He could not find it in his heart to rescue Dina at the cost of Maggie and he hoped dearly it would not come to that.

Once again, he found himself at a loss. With Meric as his only resource of information, he inquired further. "Well, it sounds like I get one shot at this and one only, as it is nigh-impossible to fool a sly fox twice. What kind of distraction would be potent enough to call the general away from Dina? What could pique that curiosity? I could certainly lure her while you do your thing with Dina, but if the general sees through me once, then my cards, as with The Sorceress, are as good as shown."

Auri never did trust to chance and without Meric's advice, it seemed that was all the drakkar wizard had.

Maggie

Just walking into the temple suddenly made Maggie feel at home, more comfortable than she'd been all day (and especially night). It was so very like most of the smaller temples she'd worshipped at in her travels, and not too unlike (size and decorations aside) the large one she'd grown up in here in the City. "I knew there was an original temple, not the main one we have now," she said quietly, not wanting to disturb the peace of the place with loud voices. "We learn that in history classes. And I knew, or maybe assumed, that there would be one on the palace grounds, of course. But I never guessed they would be the same. I didn't think it existed anymore." She drifted closer to the altar at the front of the shrine, staring about her in awe and wonder. Gratitude, and hope for a new beginning...

"Would you..." the priestess began hesitantly. "I know I'm not important or anything, and I don't suppose I'm really a pilgrim either. But would it be all right -- I mean, may I have your majesty's permission to come back? The Temple is lovely, of course, but smaller shrines always feel so, so personal to me. As if the Maker was closer to me there." She laughed a little ruefully at herself. "It seems silly, because I know He's with me everywhere, outside or inside a temple." Her voice held no doubt of her belief in that constant presence. "Maybe it's like, like dinner tonight, with everyone important up at the head table. We were all eating together, in the same room, but it was much nicer afterwards when we could get close and talk."

Suddenly she realized she might be speaking too familiarly with the queen, and looked at her almost apologetically. "Um, or that's how it felt to me at least, your majesty."

Last edited:

"Jealousy..." Meric thought out loud, "Ambassador, that's it! She resents the girl out of jealousy. And if that's true, she must really resent having to guard her. Yes... And," he suddenly added, "If she's really been drinking all night as you say, probably in connection to this, it will certainly make our job that much easier. Ambassador - Niara does not tolerate alcohol well. For an elf, I mean. As far as I can remember, she's always avoided drinking. If she's intoxicated, even though she might appear fine, her senses will be dulled and she won't be thinking straight. Play on her jealousy, on her dislike for the girl. You need only tell her what you think she wants to hear, and as long as it's subtle enough, she'll believe it.

"You have to join their conversation and try to get Dina out of her sight, even for just one minute. I'll do the rest. Worst case scenario, get them both out of sight together, and we'll... Well, neutralize the general. But we can't do anything here in plain sight. Once Erya sees what you're up to, I'm sure she'll support you."

Maggie

The queen had been so kind thus far that Maggie had almost forgotten all that she had known of Ilhirel before tonight. Almost, but not quite, and that last question somehow brought the sorceress's reputation back to the front of her mind, and bringing wariness with it. She looked at the other woman, wondering why she'd asked. "Why shouldn't I?" she asked in return. "You haven't given me any reason to doubt you, though we've never met before tonight, and you've been very kind -- kinder than I could have expected, to be honest. I'm just an itinerant priestess, when all's said and done, not anything like as important as you are."

I don't doubt the stories, she thought to herself, nor the history I've been taught. She did conquer the lands, and used dark powers and demons to do it. And yet people can change. Maybe she has, even if it's just a little bit. Maybe she wants to, and just doesn't know how? Maybe I'm just being foolishly optimistic. But I would like to see if there's even a chance of it.

Last edited:

If there was one thing Auri liked about Meric, it was that the shadow elf seemed to do his homework. It was times like these when things like this mattered. Auri pleasantly grinned with satisfaction to Meric in the practiced fashion of a drakkar who had taken long hours in the mirror to perfect the expression. Things like this mattered when your race was warlike and draconic...

"Now that, I think, is just what I needed, Meric. Give me a little bit to see it to good use." With that, Auri made his way around the room as not to draw a straight line from himself to the general. He was not overly long, but he was certain to bring a half-full glass of wine with him when he approached the general. When he did, he approached her and Dina with a stern eyes that followed the Sorceress and Maggie, wherever they had gone.

He spoke angrily though very careful to share his words only with General Niara and Dina. "Well!" he harumphed, appearing a little tipsy. "There is a fine how do you do! The Sorceress traipses off with my guest to the banquet leaving even mighty generals to act as mere baby-sitters!" He indicated Dina with a disdainful sweep of his claw. "Since when did the military deserve such treatment? As a fighting drakkar, I would like to know!

Auri glowered down at Dina as if he had no use for the human. "The way this night is going, the next thing you know, this Dina here will be in charge of our forces, and we of the proud fighting races will be stuck serving the drinks and cleaning up the spills!" He turned to General Niara expectantly. "Tell me, my elven general, just how do you put up with such treatment?"

He continued to grumble stating that if it were anyone but the Sorceress, he would take a stand, but instead, he just took another swig of wine, hiccuped, and watched the general as if she were some comrade-in-arms.

Last edited:

Erya Ryagundi, who was just about to finish her drink and greet Auri, nearly choked on said drink upon hearing his words. As it was, she cleverly dove deeper into the cup, thus concealing her shock. A well-executed yet ultimately unnecessary maneuver - since Niara Shadowleaf, at whom Auri's speech was directed, would never have noticed anyway. In fact, if a herd of rabid elephants charged into the Great Hall just then, it's questionable whether or not they'd steal the spotlight that the old drakkar had won himself.

The general just stared, too stupefied to interrupt Auri before he was done. She looked stricken, but her initial disbelief was ever so slowly giving way to anger... "You... How dare you?!" she snapped at him, and for a moment the situation seemed to hang in the balance, threatening to tip over in an undesired direction. It was more than possible that Auri had taken it too far too fast. "I'll have you -"

"Excuse my companion, Niara," Ambassador Ryagundi interjected, "For none are capable of greater bluntness than those taught to ever restrain themselves no matter the cost, if at long last they should be released. Such is too often the price of a silver tongue. I fear that wine has seen to the... release of our normally diplomatic friend."

Erya's words seemed to somewhat calm Niara's rising anger. "Be that as it may, I resent these presumptions! I do not babysit! I serve the will of Her Majesty, and she," the general directed a single, razor-sharp look at Dina, "Is not in charge of anything."

"Of course, Niara. I'm sure that's not at all what Auri meant," Erya continued to reassure the general, but one encouraging glance towards the drakkar revealed that she recognized his theatrics for what they were, even if she did not yet understand his ultimate goal. "I beg of you, forgive the ambassador's ill-thought-out words."

Surprisingly, Dina, who had been quiet until then, chose that very moment to speak up. "Actually, the ambassador's words remind me - I've been meaning to ask you for a drink, General. I'm very thirsty," she said with composed innocence.

For one long, drawn-out moment, Niara stared at Dina the way she'd stared at Auri a minute ago. Infuriated, but judging by the expression on Erya Ryangundi's face meant for Auri, there was still time to add insult to injury.

Auri's performance continued. He covertly pointed at Dina as he "confided" to the general in quiet, sharp-edged tones.

"Ah! It begins already! You see, general? What are we worth to the Sorceress after tonight? Now that she has a new favorite, we are eclipsed! Overshadowed and completely forgotten about all thanks to this new princess of hers whom we are evidently expected to bow and scrape to! Bah!

"Quick! Fetch her a drink before she begins wailing about it! I am getting away from her before she calls on me to wash her feet or something else equally ridiculous! Oh, we were warriors once!"

Auri grumbled and sneered briefly in Dina's direction before wobbling away. Drink in claw, he was careful to move to a place where Meric was absent, hopefully lending the elf an opening to Dina should the general leave her side to get that drink for her.

One minute was all he needed, Meric said; Auri dearly hoped that minute had just been provided him.

The old drakkar hoped even more that Maggie would have such an opportunity at regaining her own freedom, and Asher Success in whatever he was up to. And soon.

Noticing the shape he was drawing turning into an arrow, Asher stopped adding to the design and turned towards where the arrow pointed. Before him was the balcony door through which he entered the tower.

With no other clue, he decided to inspect the door and the area around it more closely. His eyes and mind honed to seek out secrets and glimmers, he scanned the cracks on the wall and wood, the seams of the stones, and the surface of the floor, hoping to find whatever the arrow wanted to show him.

Maggie

Maggie smiled ruefully at the sorceress's reference to the temple elders. "You may have a point," she admitted, "but I was speaking mostly about your treatment of me, specifically. And you have been kind to me -- speaking gently, bringing me here..." She turned to wave at the shrine in which they stood, her eyes filling with wonder once more as they followed her gesture to take in the simple, peaceful beauty of it.

The queen's touch on her cheek brought the priestess's attention back where it belonged in this deceptively calm situation -- the woman she was standing with. Maggie's expression grew troubled, although she nodded in response to the queen's request. "I know you are all that," she said quietly. "But even now, you aren't denying any of it. And that tells me that, for whatever reason, you're being honest with me, too, at least in part." She fell quiet for a few minutes, but with the air of someone who was not finished, but just considering what to say next. Finally she continued, "You confuse me, your majesty. By all that I have heard, you are the antithesis of all that I believe in, and before tonight, I wouldn't have believed you could be kind, or even someone I could respect. When Auri invited me tonight, I expected, well, a lot of good food, because one does, when going to dinner with him! But I also expected to be mostly a wallflower, looked down on by all the important people. You haven't done that. And you're probably the most important person here tonight!" She smiled wryly. "You didn't look down on me, or ignore me, or anything like that. You talked to me, showed me this place, invited me back anytime I want." She glanced around again, but the troubled look was back on her face. "I don't know why," she said. "But it seems to me that either you've been lying to me the whole time, or you haven't been lying at all. And I can't imagine why you would lie to me." That last sentence was at least as much a reflection of Maggie's humility as her hope in Ilhirel's honesty, and probably a lot more.

For a long moment, Maggie stared at the altar before them as if searching for inspiration, words, or just the courage to speak what was already in her mind. Then she turned back to Ilhirel, and if her expression now held uncertainty, it also held an odd sort of determination. "If this were a fairy tale or ancient legend, the storyteller would probably say you're the villain of the story. But I've wondered sometimes, how many villains chose to be the way they are, and how many were just sort of pushed into it by circumstance. And how many would have chosen differently if they could. I guess... I'm just wondering whether you've been nice to me tonight because you want something from me, or just because you like me and want to be nice." She stopped there, but then added, "I don't really know you as a person, you see. Just as, well, a storied, demon-summoning tyrant. It's hard for me to reconcile what I know with what I've experienced tonight."

"I am not your personal maid!" Niara Shadowleaf exclaimed, causing a few more heads to turn in her direction.

Observant of that, ambassador Ryagundi once again attempted to calm her down. "Niara, you are making a needless scene, just ignore her and-"

"Ignore her?" the general replied, albeit more quietly. "And what? Let her have her way? What do you think she's been doing since the moment she got here? She's been nothing but trouble!"

"I can hear you, you know. I'm standing right here," Dina said with a measure of indignation.

"Go stand elsewhere, then!"

"Where should I go?"

"Anywhere," Niara practically growled. "Anywhere at all will do!"

Dina seemed to think for a moment. "I wish to go to the lavatory."

"Then go already! Take a guard and be off!"

Even upset as she was, Niara didn't fail to signal one of the nearby knights to escort the girl out of the Great Hall. At about the same time, Meric casually slipped out the room, heading towards the lavatories ahead of them. Auri's mission seemed to have been accomplished. Just in time, too, because he was soon approached by a smiling bann Teagan.

"Ah, Ambassador. A minute of your time, perhaps?" The bann made a gesture with his hand, indicating that he wished Auri to walk with him.

Auri was inwardly pleased but doubly cautious to be away now that the general was raising her voice and causing attention to come her way. It seemed to the rotund magic-user that his social poking had indeed stirred the hornets' nest that was the general's feelings toward Dina. Auri felt that his words with Dina and Erya's own plus the cups the general had already imbibed and Meric's own cunning had all combined like fine ingredients into one magnificent dish that just might serve to get Dina out of this place and away from The Sorceress.

But again, his mind reeled and not from the wine - but what of Maggie?

It was at that moment that Auri noticed Bann Teagan calling him away. The bann had impeccable timing, thought Auri. Auri slowly waddled alongside the bann keeping the half-full glass of wine with him.

"Aye, Bann Teagan. A minute and more for the likes of you, though at my age, the minutes seem to pass all the faster despite my having less of them to look forward to. What would you share with me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back