• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Two: Into the Maelstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Incoming big post! Almost 2,000 words, so grab the drinks and a snack, sit back and enjoy the action, friends!) =)

As the Wild Cards covered a terrific amount of ground in a very short time, the reality of the situation began to come more and more clear to each of them. Even shrouded in the night, they could begin to see the towering mechanical hulks that were the Scavenger mecha. They appeared odd-looking. It was as if their shapes, lit dimly by the big red neon sign, could be seen just well enough to identify what they were. And what they were was not comforting.

Frankenmecha!

It was a form of mecha the A.S.C. and R.D.F. did not use - mecha that were made up of different parts from other types of mecha.

In the case of the once-R.D.F. destroids, the gathering of mecha, of which there were at least six, all possessed qualities never approved by the United Earth Government - a Spartan with its left arm completely replaced by the menacing barrel-like appendage of a Phalanx mecha with its deadly assortment of long-range missiles peeking out; a Phalanx mecha with both its "arms" replaced by Valkyrie arms, each holding a GU-11 gun pod; a Defender with the right half its upper body resembling that of a Tomahawk minus the spotlight but with the addition of the particle beam cannon the Tomahawk was so well-known for. And more.

Each Scavenger mech was in some way heavily-modified.

These mechanical abominations appeared to be in better than top condition in that they were bulkier, heavier, and certainly more strongly armored than their typical R.D.F. counterparts. They also appeared to be undamaged and decently-maintained. Their legs carried them along at a slower-than-usual lumbering pace, but otherwise, their combat readiness seemed in no way impeded. Turrets moved quickly enough. Arms swung weapons about responsively.

The red splash of light from the sign showed the terrible, scar-like signs of welding marks all over the Frankenmecha. Like the horrific, fabled monster from which they took their name, these towering, multicolored machines were in no way attractive and in many ways intimidating. They were ugly destroyers on a post-apocalyptic battlefield, ready for battle, with the focus of their foray just before them.

At the feet of the Scavengers, there lay a ramp leading to a pit of great size, just large enough for a single Destroid to navigate easily. This pit seemed to fall into the blackened, burned earth that made up the landscape on this side of Milton, Florida. What lay inside and below, the Wild Cards did not yet know, but the neon sign with its blinking radiance seemed to welcome anyone who dared to venture in.

*​

With the tankers away, Elinor watched Shirley's Red Baroness tuck its arms, gun pod, and legs away as it neatly transformed into the jet mode required to achieve 500 knots. Toph saw the same from Elinor's Valkyrie as it too entered jet mode. With no calls to abort, it seemed the tanker drop had gone successfully. It was now up to the T.A.S.C. team to provide the distraction the A.T.A.C. team needed.

Toph said, "Fox one! Missile away!"

As the three Wild Card veritechs shot through the night toward the Scavenger mecha, Toph sent her single mini-missile out on its own short-lived destiny. It added its own little glow as it hurtled along toward the great red blinking sign with computer-aided accuracy guiding it along. Then the sign blew apart. A fantastic plasma-filled explosion, super-bright and blazing like the sun, turned night into day for one long and precious moment. Burning chunks of metal flew in every direction as its destruction sounded all across the landscape.

Then the T.A.S.C. team made contact with their adversaries.

Just 50 yards above the rushing earth and traveling at speeds faster than a bullet fired from a rifle, the T.A.S.C. team flew straight at the gathering of Scavenger mecha. Shirley, her eyes watching for an opportunity to get the most out of the moment, found one. There was indeed a gap large enough for her beloved Red Baroness to fit between the mecha. Channeling all of her skill and focus,* the Valkyrie ace did what appeared to be the nigh-impossible - she turned her swept-wing jet aircraft ninety degrees so that the wings were perpendicular, instead of parallel, with the earth. Now, her Valkyrie's wings were no longer horizontal, but vertically-positioned as she slipped inside the Destroid formation at speeds approaching mach.

*(Game Master note)
Shirley has used an Action Point toward her Pilot: Valkyrie roll for this extremely dangerous maneuver.

The result was astonishing.

Over the civilian channel the Scavengers used, Shirley's excited cry taunted. "Here's our response, 'Scabs!'" Then the chorus to an old song rang out over the channel as she sang...

"Yooooou light up myyyy liiiiiife!!"

(GM music)
Shirley is taunting them with the chorus of this oldie but goodie:
"You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone

(GM video - F-16 shooting flares in daytime)
Airshows... You gotta love 'em! =)

With the flick of a switch, Shirley's bright red flares soared in all directions and chaff blew out from the Red Baroness's dispenser, the cloud of tiny metallic bits ringing upon the Scavenger mecha like dozens of tiny bells. The deafening roar of her Valkyrie's afterburners followed immediately afterward as the Red Baroness flew between the enemy force like a cannon shell and past them and back into the night. Only the tell-tale glow of her rapidly-receding twin engines told where she was.

Over the radio, the Wild Cards heard the shocked sounds of unfamiliar men.

"AAAAAH!!"

"WHHOOOOA!!"

"WAT DA CRAZY FUCK?!"

"I SHIT MYSELF! I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SHIT MYSELF! DAMMIT!!"

Caught by this surprise while in motion, the Scavengers nearby recoiled and were taken off-balance. Limbs flew up into the air. Two Frakenmecha tottered crazily in surprise and shock. One, the horrid-looking Spartan/Phalanx, jerked back so violently, it fell flat on its hind end right there in front of its mates, slamming into the earth. It sat there appearing dumbfounded, dazed, and looking very, very stupid.

Now, Elinor and Toph saw that there were a total of eight Scavenger Frankenmecha. Half of them were physically reeling and distracted. The other half were turning their guns around after the Red Baroness. Now, Elinor and Toph each had their own opportunity to distract the other half of the Scavenger team. This required of them a split-second decision as to their course of action.

(Shop Talk for Psychie and Kaerri)
Whatever you do, I'll rule that you're popping chaff and flares on them for the sake of distraction unless you tell me otherwise. =)

Your flight options are:
1. Just fly over the Scavengers (no roll required, but no real benefit is gained).
2. Follow Shirley into and out of the hole she made (Pilot roll required at -10%).
3. Make your own hole (Pilot roll required at -15%; I recommend the expenditure of an Action Point if you choose this option).
4. Anything else you can think of (but whatever you do, don't fail this piloting roll or there is a chance of your character hitting the deck at 500+ knots whereupon she becomes a clear target for all eight Scavengers to fire upon, assuming she survives the crash!).

-Psychie. As Toph is the last in line and in a veritech 2/3rds the size of the Valkyries ahead of her, I am ruling that she has a +5% bonus given toward either of the penalties listed above (so Option 2 is -5% and Option 3 is -10%).

What do Elinor and Toph do?

*​

Some say that only in hard times do you come to know yourself. War is the hardest of times. Either you survive or you die, but one way or another, you come out knowing more about yourself than when you went in, whether you like it or not. War is thus a hellish brand of enlightenment, no man or woman is likely to recommend. Still, you find out who you are.

(Mood music)
"Who Are You" by The Who

The A.T.A.C. team of the Wild Cards struck the burned wasteland and rolled. Hercules and Booty hit just about perfectly, rolling to one side without incident. They were on their feet in moments. Hercules then saw that MechaKitten was quiet and watchful. Once Hercules was on his feet, the little cat had secured himself on and behind Hercules's left shoulder where he hoped he was out of the big Greek's way.

Something went wrong in Mario's landing. His angle and descent were good but he was unable to get himself properly positioned in time and before he knew it, he had struck the ground very hard. His mega-damage rifle slammed into his chest and then he completely lost his balance. For a moment, his vision was like that of one caught inside a clothes dryer, for he spun and spun until he finally rolled to a stop. As before when he had survived from his bailout from the ill-fated Rattletrap, Mario found himself flat on his back, breathing hard, looking up into the clouds and stars so very far above his head. For a few moments, they wouldn't stop whirling.

And Mario knew there was not a damn thing he could do about it but lie there and wait.

(Shop Talk for Mario)
Mario's mega-suit absorbed the worst of it, but Mario has sustained 12 S.D.C. damage (maximum for the fall). He failed his saving throw vs. Pain (rolled a 3 on the red d20). This begs the question - what the hell is it with Mario failing these Roll with Impact rolls? Poor guy! At least he didn't fumble! *knocks on wood*

Hercules and Booty both caught sight of Mario's predicament.

"Mario down!" Booty called out.

Booty and Hercules ran to their fellow tanker's side. When they reached him, Mario was battered and bruised inside his armor and still recovering. Still, to the Italian-blooded soldier, nothing felt broken.

"Hey, hey!" Booty tapped Mario's helmet. "What's Mario favorite food? You rememba?"

Mario remembered. =)

"O.K.," Booty nodded and grabbed Mario's forearm.

Then the three tankers turned as the whole world before them seemed to catch on fire...

The red sign burst into flames born of plasma fury. Dozens of flares lit the night and fell, leaving smoking trails. The sounds of lots of mecha, turning, whirling, and in one case, falling flat on its backside were heard. The ground shook. The air was alive with the sounds of powerful machinery. The sounds of the T.A.S.C. team's veritechs rocketing shook the air violently. When the A.T.A.C. team oriented themselves, they realized Milton was nowhere in sight and they had covered a tremendous amount of ground in but moments.

Most importantly, they were only about 100 yards away from the pit where the big neon sign once pointed.

Mario was helped to his feet. Thanks to his mega-suit and his own hard-earned physique, he could move; he just felt like he had been struck in the chest with a Louisville Slugger.

The nearest of eight Scavenger Frankenmecha was but about 25 yards away from that ramp. At the moment, nearly every mecha was turned in the direction of the veritech flyby. Nearest the A.T.A.C. team, there was some cover here in the forms of blasted concrete and two burned-out hulks of cars, but between them and the ramp that led into the pit, next to nothing but burned night-covered wasteland.

"Dis be it!" Booty exclaimed, ready to move.

What do Mario and Hercules do?

Toph continues to fly in tight on Elinor's tail, using supreme focus to make sure that she doesn't slam into either one of the scavs or the ground. Neither one would be a good thing. Eight mecha of unknown armor and capability. Not good. We have to cover the ground guys as they make their insertion. Angling her tiny (comparatively) mecha along a new path, she makes sure to hit her flares just as she passes over and through the loose formation of enemy units.

OOC I will go with option 3, and make my own path through the scavengers, using an Action Point to keep from FUBAR.

Mario lets out a few wheezing breaths as the pain washes over him. Pain tells you that you are still alive. Embrace it. "Shit. I'm ok; no broken bones, but I'll have one hell of a bruise in the morning. As my old instructor Drill Sergeant Wilcher would say, 'If you ain't dead, you best be movin''. It looks like the scavs are distracted; we need to use the time to get as far ahead of them as possible." He pushes himself to his feet and takes a few deep breaths. "I'm set. Lets move."

Elinor had had to read Frankenstein for a class once, and had found it pretty boring, the monster completely unappealing in every way. Minus the boring, she thought the mecha ahead of them just the same - ugly, unfriendly, totally lacking in the graceful design of even the most clunky R.D.F. or A.S.C. mecha (because however clunky, they'd been designed that way and it all came together just right, just as a pig was much less graceful than a horse but was still one whole, unadulterated animal). She had to laugh at Shirley's way of "making a hole" and the enemy pilot's reactions, though. That was some bad-ass flying! All the same, Elinor figured if Shirley could do it, she could too. Picking a pair of Frankenmecha that had a big enough space and weren't (yet) on their butts, she concentrated on her flying and swept her wings vertical, making sure to pop chaff and flares at just the right moment.

Likewise option 3, and Action Point. ^D^
I'm guessing this is one of the situations where Combat Flying applies?
Similar to the skill Combat Driving, the Combat Flying skill represents a character's ability to fly in adverse weather and combat conditions. All penalties for airborne stunts and maneuvers are half, and the pilot is +2 to dodge and +3 to roll with impact/survive a crash while flying. Base skill: There is no base skill, but every character level reduces the stunt/maneuver penalties by another point. Note: Falls under the skill category of Pilot. This skill is ONLY available to Military O.C.C.s, not civilians.
She took it at level 1, so now it's at 1/2 -1 penalties, if I'm reading that right.

Hercules waited for the exact right moment to jump and, as it came, he hurled himself from the Valkyrie's hand, bellowing, "Alala!"
He rolled through the air, then straightened out and started using increasingly sustained bursts of his jump pack engines to slow his velocity. His landing was almost perfect, something that would have made his old Marine DS nod in acknowledgement, and he crouched with his main gun held ready. Nearby in his peripheral vision, he saw Booty make his landing then, over his comm, he heard a quick succession of grunts and curses. A glance back showed Mario bouncing and rolling across the ground. His Mega Damage-resistant armor gouged chunks out of the ground as he passed, sparks spraying when metal struck metal. Hercules winced in sympathy, it would not be fun to be inside that helmet right now. Eventually, Mario stopped his crash landing and his voice passed over the comm-net.
"Far be it for me to pass comment, Mario, but I think you need to work on those landings.", he replied with a chuckle, then he pushed the humor from his voice, "We need to move, now. Those abominations won't stay distracted long. Let's get into that damn hole before we become target practice to that deformed Sparlanx (Spartan/Phalanx)."
He patted Mario and Booty each on the shoulder before taking off toward the nightmarish mecha backlit by the plasma fire.

With his voice dripping in sarcasm, Mario responds to Herc's comment with, "Gee, ya think so? Thanks, Captain Obvious. Whatever. Lets get moving." I'm probably never going to hear the end of this.

(The fun continues! Woo!) =)

(Mood music)
"Can't Stop Rockin'" by ZZ Top. How can you not have fun with this song going on? =)

If ever a trio of fast-moving T.A.S.C. aircraft rolled out the red carpet for a team of would-be infiltrating A.T.A.C. tankers, it was tonight. =)

As the Red Baroness shot past the Scavenger team and into the night, so did Elinor's Valkyrie. Wings vertically positioned, perpendicular to the earth, Elinor called upon both her fantastic flying skills and her top-notch knowledge of the Valkyrie veritech to slip between two of the Frankenmecha. For a moment, the Southern-born test pilot's cockpit was level with theirs, her wingtip just a few scant yards from the ground. Flares flashed and chaff clouds blew creating another fireworks display of havoc and chaos as the lance* of mecha nearly slammed into each other.

(GM note)
I am borrowing from Battletech terminology here. A lance is a squad of four destroids. More in Fat Gandalf's. Back to the action. =)

As Elinor blasted through this second lance of four Frankenmecha, each of the machines recoiled in adrenaline-producing surprise and horror, for these A.S.C. flying machines had come out of nowhere and at speeds approaching near-mach. In other words, each were flying like a bat out of hell and at them. One wrong move and they would send themselves tumbling and cartwheeling across the landscape with little chance of pilot survival. And everyone present knew it.

It was kind of like this... =)

One of these Frankenmecha was a towering once-Tomahawk, but it "arms" were no longer particle beam cannons, but instead 155mm howitzer cannons that reached down past the thing's knees. Nearly overloaded with newly-welded "over-armor," this "Toma-tank," stumbled and staggered across the battlefield with all of the grace of a recently-awoken gorilla with a hangover. Placed in the rear of the four mecha Elinor had just startled, it also possessed the largest cannons on the battlefield.

It took aim at the Red Baroness as Shirley zoomed across the night...

(Spoiler contains picture and video of howitzer)
The M109 Paladin firing its 155m cannon.
View attachment 307320
(Image credit: youtube.com)

This is footage of the Paladin's 155mm cannon. Compare this to the Veritech Hover Tank's 105mm main gun or the M1A2 Abrams smoothbore 120mm cannon. =)

Unbeknownst to the Toma-tank, it was a prime target for Toph's maneuver, for it was distracted and in the back of the lance. Using her Ajax's atmospheric throttle nozzles, Toph very carefully aimed her nose across the Toma-tank's cockpit and punched her flares and chaff. With an earth-shaking roar and a lightshow worthy of the 4th of July, her afterburners throttled her past his cockpit at about 500 knots (about 575 miles per hour!). For one brief, nightmarish moment, all that pilot saw and thought was, "OMIGODWTFZZTOPBBQFUCKINAJAX OUT OF NOWHERE!!"

Off-balance, the Toma-tank's gun jerked. The pilot's trigger finger jerked too, causing the huge cannon to fire off-target.

KA-BOOM!!

The Toma-tank, not properly balanced for the shot thanks to Toph, reeled violently into the Frankenmecha closest to it, striking it hard with its overly-long barrel. That Frankenmecha, having already been startled by Elinor's flyby, then toppled into the Frankenmecha closest to it. And so this repeated. One by one, three out of the four startled Frankmecha pilots lost control of their mecha and each of the towering giants reeled and tipped over, falling, it seemed, in slow-motion. Down they went like a fumbling trio of titan-sized dominoes. When they crashed to the ground, it felt like an earthquake had struck near Milton.

KA-THOOM! CRASH! CRUNCH!

The ground shook and reverberated. Grass shuddered, a nearby trio A.T.A.C. tankers plus a kitten were suddenly launched about a foot into the air, brown dust flew in humungous clouds up into the air, but best of all... the civilian channel the Scavengers were using just about exploded in rage...

"YOU DUMBASSES!! THEY'RE MAKING FOOLS OUTTA US!"

"HEY! WHY YOU HIT ME?!"

"THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!"

"I'M TELLING YOU GUYS! I REALLY SHIT MYSELF! NOW SOMEONE COME IN HERE AND HELP ME--"

If that were not enough, the rest of the "team," hearing the deafening report of the Toma-tank's 155mm howitzer, began shooting too. The cacophony of fire was crazed and wild. The sky around Milton lit up brighter than any burning neon sign as the rest of the Scavengers seemed to lose their minds. Beams of scorching laser fire, blasting 78mm twin Defender guns, booming particle beam cannons, quartets of shrieking mini-missiles, you name it - it was in the air and after the T.A.S.C. team. It was as if they had opened the Gates of Hell and loosed Armageddon.

However, the fire was too wild and the aircraft too fast and far for any hope of damage.

For the Wild Cards had driven a hot nail into the Achilles' Heel of the un-military Scavenger team - their complete lack of discipline. With an anger that rivaled Sergeant Powers at the Assembly, the fallen Frankenmecha rose up and began chasing after the fleeing veritechs on foot, guns and energy weapons blazing. Their frustrations could be heard by anyone on the civilian channel.

"CEASE FIRE, YOU ASSHOLES! GET BACK HERE!"

"FUCK YOU! THEY MADE ME FALL ON MY ASS!"

"GET THOSE BITCHES!!"

"Uh, you dumbfucks realize they can probably hear everything we're saying right? We're still on the civvy channel..."

"AWWW, FUCKITY FUCKIN' A FUCK-FUCK!! SWITCH TO THE GODDA--" and then the civilian channel became mercifully quiet.

*​

(Moar mood music)
"The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy. Because. You know. It's the guys' turn for action. =)

Once the A.T.A.C. tankers landed back on the ground (which continued to tremble from the rumbling of the charging, firing Frankenmecha), Mario, Herc, and Booty realized that every Scavenger mech had turned its backs to them. The flying Wild Cards had provided in spades; the Scavengers could not have been more distracted.

The three tankers ran like hell across the blasted wasteland careful not to trigger their jump jets lest they chance Fate.*

*(GM note for all)
I am giving Hercules benefit of the doubt here. When I asked about movement (for Cap'n's writing made it a little unclear concerning Herc), Sherwood in Fat Gandalf's recommended the tankers run and not light up their jump jets though the latter form of movement was far swifter. Cap'n did not reply to my request concerning Herc's movement, so I am guessing that Herc is doing the same as Mario and Booty in running all the way there. =)

Mario's once-injured ankle functioned well-enough to get him there; it was his injured chest that protested. But the brave Italian-American did not let that stop him. He pushed past the pain and his boots kept up with his fellows as they kicked up the dirt crossing the fire-lit battlefield. When the Frankenmecha nearest them fired, they all knew not only what the sound was, but what it once was - each of the arms on the Toma-tank were 155mm howitzers from a Paladin, minus the .50 caliber machine guns.

Hearing the report from that weapon plus the barrage that followed only cemented just how terribly vulnerable the ground-pounding Wild Cards as they raced across the open terrain with only this fabulous distraction to aid them.

Sprinting hard, the tankers ate up the distance, beating feet for all their heavy-armor-clad bodies were worth. Once at the edge of the massive, mech-sized pit, it was clear to the senses that the only way to have a chance at avoiding detection was to jump down. And so, breathing hard, each tanker did. They fell but eight feet or so, their boots striking not hard earth, but clanging against harder superstructure.

Mario, Herc, and Booty saw that they had landed upon a wall of mega-damage steel some 50 feet wide and 50 feet long in this dark dirt-filled pit. There was some kind of massive control panel placed not far from their feet, a panel undoubtedly made for Zentraedi, for it had large buttons with alien symbols, a viewscreen, and place to put one's giant-sized palm.

The tanker team also learned something else of great importance:

They were not alone...

Three scruffy, bearded men dressed in raggedy fatigues over defaced police-style light body armor (M.D.C.), each carrying a laptop with a brightly-lit screen, stood nearby the console. They wheeled toward the A.T.A.C. ground-pounders with mega-damage rifles at the ready...

Roll initiative, fellas. =)

(A.T.A.C. Wild Cards? Call color for initiative in Fat Gandalf's please. =) )

If the scavengers could see her face, they would feel a sudden chill up their cowardly spines from the sinister gleam in her eyes. Yes! Perfectly timed those flares. Ha! Over the radio, Toph calls out on an open channel, "Hey boys, do you kiss your mothers with mouths that dirty? Naughty naughty!"

"Hey boys, do you kiss your mothers with mouths that dirty? Naughty naughty!"

The Scavenger mech pilots replies were as intellectual as they were original...

"FUCK YOU!"

"WHEN I GET MY HANDS ON YOU--"

"Cut it and switch to you-know-where, you dumbasses, and for fuck's sake, will you stop chasing them?! They're veritechs! Like you're gonna catch 'em!"

Silence reigned once again over the civilian assistance channel. It was, however, anything but silent as the Scavengers continued to fire bright particle beam blasts and shattering rapid-fire cannon shells after the fleeing veritechs. All the while, the Toma-tank seemed to be the only one not firing anymore. It was waving its tremendously-large 155mm cannon arms apparently in an attempt to get the attention of his cohorts.

Meanwhile, Toph, Elinor, and Shirley made it to about three miles out. The Wild Cards behind the Red Baroness noted her wide, speedy turn back toward the town of Milton as was planned. Scavenger mecha chased and raced, barrels blazing angrily and uselessly into the night after them.

*​

In the pit, just below the towering Toma-tank not 25 yards away from the A.T.A.C. team, the three bearded Scavengers were so startled at your sudden presence that they nearly dropped the laptops attached to their armored hips in their race to unsling their rifles - their spray-painted, multi-colored, goofy-looking rifles...

No, I'm not kidding. They honestly look this ridiculous.
mqdefault.jpg
(Image credit: Daikhlo and the Fallout 4: Nuka World Downloadable Content)

The Scavengers's former-law-enforcement armor, patched, scarred, and ugly like a junkyard wreck, appeared unusually bulky and yet each sported a number of small holes and unsealed seams which even in the dim light betrayed their complete lack of environmental protection. Unlike the A.S.C.-provided armor enjoyed by the Wild Cards, these mega-suits seemed only to protect against mega-damage sources and naught else. To Herc, Mario, and Booty, each a qualified Field Armorer, a terrible trade-off had been made; for the price of a little more armor absorption, these bandits could quite possibly be felled with a single gas grenade or affected fully by a flashbang. And heaven forbid they try to enter water.

The Scavengers's reaction toward the Wild Cards was quite different. Upon seeing the bold, fresh, matching armor and the manly proportions of the soldiers within, they took on a looks of shock and bewilderment. But when they saw the barrels of Mario's two-handed laser cannon, Hercules's heavy plasma weapon, and Booty's automatic grenade launcher aimed at their way, their faces went from confusion to near-stark terror. For now they saw truly saw what they were up against.

As the fates would have it, Cpl. Booty was the first to react. He stepped forward and aimed his Mk. 25 at the middle opponent with a terribly-menacing growl. "Empty your hands or me pullin' da trigga!"

The threat worked. Two out of the three long-arms clattered to the superstructure at your feet. Quickly, their hands raised high. Seeing his fellow's action, the third quickly followed suit and joined his cohorts in action. But then confusion struck Booty. They were disarmed! Wonderful! But now what? He could not follow through with their threat - none of them could - lest they get the attention of the nearby Toma-tank. If that happened, it was all over! The big Jamaican had to resort to his wits. He grabbed fiercely at the first thoughts that ran into his racing mind in a frantic attempt to keep his emotional momentum going.

"Now... now pull down ya pants!"

"What da fuck?!"

Booty grimaced. A fire lit his eyes. "Down wit' ya pants!"

The three grabbed at their mega-damage lower armor and in moments that, too, fell as far as gravity would allow. Soon, hanging in the breeze were six flabby, hairy legs topped by old boxer shorts and one pair of white Mickey Mouse undies. Booty nearly laughed out loud but he knew keeping up his steam was important so he kept up his intimidation.

"Turn around!"

They spun around without tripping. They faced the wall of earth. Now, weaponless, hands raised, eyes off of their opponents, and their near-naked backsides towards what could only be a heavily-armed madman, their hairy bums shook in the night.

"He's gonna kill us!"

"We're fucked!"

Booty's mind raced. He had to think fast. Something, anything, to keep these three fellows distracted lest they resort to some unseen plan that betray Booty and his comrades. What would Reggie do? What should he do? What would keep their minds off of any plans and their fear on him?

Only one thing came to mind...

"Now sing Sesame Street!"

All three men looked at each other with incredulous expressions.

Booty almost faltered. He had to make them do it. If they sang, maybe the exploding sounds of the mechs firing would cover them, but if just one of these apparently-tech savvy Scavengers alerted his fellows on his comm, it would spell the end of Booty, Mario, and Herc.

"Start ringin' and singin' or me wastin' you!"

"No, no!" They pleaded like dying rats.

"Please, man!"

"I can't think of the words!"

So... Corporal Maximus Oceanus Booty led them in song...

Lyrics:
Sunny day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame Street?

Come and play
Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet

Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street?

Horrifically, disgustingly, atrociously, the three men sang and even danced along as Booty led the way, his weapon all the while aimed murderously at their backs. Booty dared a glance back to Mario and Herc. His crazed expression seemed to say, "You two betta get us inside or we is dead men! Dis song only lastin' so long, mon!!"

Meanwhile from the comfort and protection of Herc's shoulder and back, MechaKitten watched all. His jaws were wide open but no sound issued forth - for the scene of three half-dancing, half-naked, bearded Scavengers led in song by Booty had completely blown the little feline's mind away.

(We are effectively back in out-of-combat time as long as no one attempts a combat action. What do Mario and Hercules do?)

Last edited:
Mario is briefly dumbstruck as he watches the men dancing in their under ware. He shakes his head to clear the image from his mind, then steps forward to the door. Looking over at Hercules, he says, "Keep guard, and I'll do my best to Traverse the door open for us. If I can't do it on my own, we can try to work together to get access. Wish me luck."

Moving with certainty, he advances on the door. Not knowing if he has to have his bare hands on it to work the talent of Traversing, he takes off his gauntlet and places his hand on the door. Toph was able to do this with that cache egg-thing without any trouble; how hard can this be? Now, focus! You can do this!

Hercules watched blankly at Booty's improvised antics with the Scavs and nodded as Mario made his suggestion. But then, that won't stop these two shooting us in the back when we descend into the base. With that in mind, he set down his plasma caster gently then marched over to one of the three singing Scavs. Without any aplomb, he grabbed him from behind and locked him into a sleeper headlock, carefully blocking off the blood supply to his brain for just long enough to send him off to La-La Land but not so far as to turn him into a cabbage. Once this was done, he did the same with another of the duet, and finally the soloist. Once the three were subdued, he shredded their fallen trousers and used strips to bind their hands and gag them.
"Now, that's should slow them down long enough for us to do what we need to do. Onwards!"

Moving with certainty, he advances on the door. Not knowing if he has to have his bare hands on it to work the talent of Traversing, he takes off his gauntlet and places his hand on the door. Toph was able to do this with that cache egg-thing without any trouble; how hard can this be? Now, focus! You can do this!

(GM note for Sherwood #1)
A minor note but it may become important - you mention Mario "advancing" on the door when in fact Mario is standing on it. Here's the layout again just so we're all on the same page.

Once at the edge of the massive, mech-sized pit, it was clear to the senses that the only way to have a chance at avoiding detection was to jump down. And so, breathing hard, each tanker did. They fell but eight feet or so, their boots striking not hard earth, but clanging against harder superstructure.

Mario, Herc, and Booty saw that they had landed upon a wall of mega-damage steel some 50 feet wide and 50 feet long in this dark dirt-filled pit. There was some kind of massive control panel placed not far from their feet, a panel undoubtedly made for Zentraedi, for it had large buttons with alien symbols, a viewscreen, and place to put one's giant-sized palm.

Psssh! Mario's mega-suit depressurized as he took off his gauntlet. Placing his hand on the unfamiliar superstructure floor, he felt its incredibly-hard tank-like surface. It was like steel on steroids. Mario focused his mind but instinctively, he knew there was more to technopathy than concentration. But what? At the moment, all he felt was the flesh of his skin against the titanic skin of this dirty mega-damage doorway at his feet, and the trembling of the earth around him as the guns of the Scavenger Frankenmecha roared in the night, blasting into the sky. Just concentrating was difficult. Mario knew when that Toma-tank turned and looked down with those hulking 155mm guns, he and his fellow tankers who were risking their very lives along with him were not likely to see the next dawn.

This did not help his concentration.

(Shop Talk for Sherwood #2)
Keep in mind this is his very first time using technopathy without an outside influence (like Col. Sharp, Shirley, or Rattletrap). Describe in your next post here what's going on inside Mario's head. What precisely is Mario thinking and feeling? Don't be afraid to "get deep" here if you want to.

*​

With that in mind, he set down his plasma caster gently then marched over to one of the three singing Scavs. Without any aplomb, he grabbed him from behind and locked him into a sleeper headlock, carefully blocking off the blood supply to his brain for just long enough to send him off to La-La Land but not so far as to turn him into a cabbage. Once this was done, he did the same with another of the duet, and finally the soloist. Once the three were subdued, he shredded their fallen trousers and used strips to bind their hands and gag them.

While Mario worked furiously, Hercules took advantage of his hard-earned Pankration skills to slip the first man into a "sleeper hold." This was a popular martial art technique; a close cousin of what MMA artists called the rear naked choke.

One moment, the fellow Hercules targeted was obediently dancing and trying to sing, however awfully. The next moment, he was helplessly flailing in the big Greek's grasp, having no idea what was going on or even if these were his last moments alive.

"Holy shit!" one Scavenger gasped. "He's killin' Jimmy!"

"You ain't gotta fuckin' murder us, man!!"

Being a fellow practitioner of the art of Pankration, Booty felt he knew exactly what Herc was doing and he trusted Herc just enough to feel that the fellow would not kill helpless men. Killing the man who had broken Reggie's beloved wheelchair and threatened his son's life was one thing - this was entirely another scenario. "Shaddap an' lissen up!" Booty closed in on them. "Ain't no murder here! Him could break yo' skinny-booty neck like twig, but we ain't Wicked Men! Still, can't be havin' you stabbin' us in de back or ringin' your fellows neither! So either you go to sleep or you go to Hell! Right now!"

The other two looked at Jimmy and each other with frightened expressions. Then, still with arms held high, they looked forward toward the dirt wall and the mercy being offered them.

"Sleep!"

"Yeah, man. Sleep!"

"GLK! GLLLKK!" said Jimmy just before he passed out.

Scowling at the remaining Scavengers, Booty covered Herc as Jimmy slowly slid unconscious to the dirty superstructure at their feet.

(Shop Talk for Cap'n)
Ever choke a guy out (or been choked out) in Real Life? While this is a brilliant plan, the one thing Herc needs desperately to pull it all off is time. Herc has everything else he needs. Taking into account that these three bozos were literally singing and dancing just now, they're not in great physical shape, have little training and conditioning, I'm going to say that Herc can knock each of them out with the following details:

1. No Initiative or Strike roll required. Booty's intimidation plus Hercules's approach make for a fantastic example of potent teamwork here. These guys aren't even thinking of fighting back at the moment. They just want to survive the night.
2. Knockouts will take 15 seconds per guy. This includes getting each guy's mega-suit helmet off so Herc can get at his neck.
3. Taking a knife to their clothing to cut strips and tying them up, even rushed, is realistically about a minute per person. The Scavengers in the mechs are not likely going to be distracted that long. Herc may have to be satisfied just conking the three of them out while Booty covers him and Mario tries to Traverse the door open.
4. This post represents the first 15 seconds (hence Jimmy going down). Since I've got Mario acting at the same time, he's working "with the same clock" Herc and Booty are.

For those interested in what Herc is doing, here is the very popular rear naked choke, a variant of which is the sleeper hold along with almost three minutes with Bas Rutten, one of my fighting favorites. Rutten has terrific fighting skills and equally-terrific charisma. Plus, he really seems like a good-hearted guy (unless you cross him, then you had better be a fast runner). =)

*​

Due to Booty leaving his mike open on the squadron channel, Elinor, Toph, and Shirley had heard every word that had just occurred between the A.T.A.C. Wild Cards and the Scavengers. Yes, including the singing of Sesame Street. =)

All three of the flying Wild Cards had their hands full (literally!) keeping their aircraft going where they wanted them without either getting blown out of the sky or flying into the Earth or each other at many hundreds of miles per hour. This still did not stop their ears from functioning. Finally, Shirley had to say something.

"Just what in the hell are you guys doing down there? Are you all right?"

Mario and Herc were quite occupied, but Booty was definitely free to speak. "Oh! Uh, everyting unda control! Weapon malfunctionin'. We fine. Uh.... How are you?"

"Booty!"

"O.K., O.K.! We got three stinky Scavenga bombaklats in trashy mega-suits wit' rifles an' laptops! Me tink dey was tryin' to break into our door. Mario is usin' da Force! Herc be jerkin' dem by dey necks until dey sleepin'."

"Copy!" Did he say laptops? Shirley thought back to Hitomi's words concerning collecting all of the data one could. The Hawai'ian-Japanese lady had been referring to the Zentraedi, but why not this? "Booty, once those clowns are in Never Never Land, I want the hard drives in those laptops and any other storage devices on 'em. You got it?"

"Got it, loo-ten-ant!"

"Give me a status update when things change!"

"Booty copy, loo-ten-ant!"

"Cygnus Two, Cygnus Three, follow me around to the far side of Milton. Now we're gonna put a town between us and those angry Scavengers. Put down by me in battloid, rifles ready. The buildings aren't that tall here, so scooch low."

The three veritechs blasted across the landscape until the old and faded Floridian town filled the left side of their canopies. Without lights and movement, Milton really looked like a ghost town right out of the movies. Shirley brought her team to the east side of the town and ordered each of them into battloid mode for the sake of the quiet. Laying low with their backs to the outlying buildings, most of which were about three stories tall and made of scarred concrete and wood, the Red Baroness's GU-11 gun pod aimed down the silent streets. Shirley's eyes and ears were open for any movement beyond their own.

To Toph and Elinor, Shirley said, "Sweet surfin', you two! You've got some guts and skills following me in and making your own holes like that. Most pilots would have just buzzed over. How're you feeling?"

Last edited:
Mario focuses his will on making contact with the spirit of the machine, the living heart of the mechanism that controls the door. It is there, tantalizingly close, and yet so far away. He visualizes in his mind a blank wall, and on the other side is the target of his will. He finds himself standing in front of it, and has to break through. I need a tool to make this happen. I know just the thing. In his imagination, he now finds himself holding a sledgehammer. With his will suddenly focused in the form of the hammer, he 'takes a swing' at the wall between him and the heart of the machine. He drives his will against the barrier over and over again, knowing that he must succeed in making contact or the scavengers will tear them apart.

Toph responds, "Muppet here. Everything is just outstanding. Haven't had a rush that good in a long time! Ready to drop down in battloid mode anywhere you want." She just can't seem to shake a song from Sesame Street, now, thanks to the open comm. C is for cookie, that's good enough for me!

(Instrumental Mood Music)
"Signs of Life" by Pink Floyd

Despite the harrowing blasts from the Frankenmecha, Mario willfully focused himself, something seemed to take place inside of his mind. There was a sensation of reaching out past himself, beyond the sensations in his hand against the steel. His mind seemed to drift away from all that was going on around him. The battlefield, the shouting, even the explosions that rocked the ground, appeared to fade away until they were nearly gone. For one long moment, it seemed as if Mario was indeed alone, perhaps inside the steel door.

There, he did indeed feel another presence, but... reaching for it felt like grasping at an object you expect to be there only to feel your fingers touch empty air. His imagining of a wall seemed to be just that - an imagining - for there did not appear to be anything between himself and the presence except a strange sense of distance. Mario seemed to be going neither closer nor farther away from it. He was adrift.

On a path he had never before trodden without guide nor signpost, Mario vaguely sensed he was missing something. Something important. He had the focus. His Italian-American-born will was driving him. It had gotten him this far...

...and yet, as he had felt before, the answer was close yet so far away.

What now does Mario do?

Outside of Mario, Hercules was choking out the second of the trio of Scavengers while Booty looked on with no small amount of stress in his bearing. The Toma-tank's back was still turned... for the moment.

(Shop Talk for Sherwood and Hercules)
Two melee rounds have now elapsed since Mario began his use of technopathy and Herc began playing Mr. Sandman. =)

*​

All three of the Wild Card veritechs were now groundside, their roaring engines silenced as they stalked about. There were no signs of life near them, only a nearby gasoline station, a few rows of quiet houses, empty streets with dirty signs, and what used to be a park complete with broken swing sets and open, charred fields. The cannon and energy weapon fire from the Scavengers was dying down. With Milton between them, the Wild Cards had broken line of sight with the hulking Frankenmecha, who were, by now, about 6 miles away due west. Here, the three them had the chance to catch their collective breaths.

Shirley did not speak; she kept listening to the radio channel. The Wild Card tankers seemed to be in the right spot at the right time thanks to their daring hot drop. Now it was up to them to get inside the base and come out with the tanks.

Last edited:
Grinding his teeth in frustration, Mario is wondering just what to do. His current visualization of the wall and sledgehammer was not working. Time to try a different approach. But what? He tries to change is tactics a bit, this time trying to extend his will out at the other presence, driving himself outwards, reaching, imagining himself at the helm of his tank, sliding the throttle forward. I know tanks, so go with what I know. The power of the engine will get me there.

As Mario reimagined his method, he came to a realization - unlike his brief experiences with technopathy with Shirley and Col. Sharp, this cool, smooth superstructure was in no way attempting to reach out to him. Instead of being "met in the middle," Mario was having to make the whole trek alone. His soldier's blood was up, though. With enemies before him, above him, and unknowns below and about him, it was very hard to keep a cool head and his instincts had reacted during his run here with adrenaline. Somehow that seemed to make this a little easier.

However, it did not make up for Mario's lack of experience with technopathy. When Rattletrap had warned him during the I-10 battle at mile marker 25, it was as if the machine had reached out to him, as if it had initiated contact. This time, there was no such luck. Mario had gone halfway, but with his current attempt at imagining himself driving as if he were inside of a tank, he remained where he was. It was as if his own imagination, his attempts at creating what was not really there, were halting or distracting him.

*​

The last Scavenger watched his fellow fall unconscious to the floor. He began to turn toward Hercules as if to say something. "Face front," Booty clenched his fist, "or I swear by Bob Marley, you wakin' up wit' a busted jaw!"

"Oh, O.K.!" said the last of the three Scavenger cheerily. "Nighty-night!" he waved as Hercules's massively-muscular arms slipped deftly about the skinny, hairy man. "Fuckin' A, big guy! You're really... GLAAACK-K-K!..." Soon his limbs began to loosen as blackness crept in on his vision from all sides as Hercules carefully cut off his carotid arteries using the rear naked choke.

(Shop Talk for Sherwood and Cap'n)
This is round 3. It has been 45 seconds since Mario initiated his technopathy.

Last edited:
Lets try a clear mind. Perhaps my imagination is now working against me. Clear your thoughts, Mario. Taking a deep, cleansing breath, he sets out to wipe away all thoughts and distractions keeping him from initiating contact.

Under the suffocating power of Hercules's controlled grip, the last of the trio of Scavengers fell down like a sack filled with potatoes. In the meantime, Booty did as Shirley had ordered and scavenged the Scavengers, relieving them of the 3 hard drives in their laptops and 4 USB drives along with 3 smartphones. These, he placed in his various pockets for safekeeping while he wondered what secrets they might hold. He also saw the wisdom in taking them for without them, how effective could these three Scavengers be in opening the door to the base?

As the two heavily-muscled tankers turned to their Italian-American teammate, they saw him gritting his teeth in frustration. The massive door at their feet had not moved an inch. But shortly thereafter, Mario's expression seemed to make some inner decision. He began to relax. Mario seemed to channel his inner patience and clarity of mind (something many Italian-blooded folks don't seem to have much of; just ask 'em! =) ). Though his blood still pumped vigorously, Mario's breathing began to slow as he focused himself in a different manner. He seemed to stop fighting whatever it was that was frustrating him.

It was then that Hercules and Booty felt the ground shake. Under the brightly burning glow of the flaming sign, the Frankenmecha seemed to be returning to the pit. The Toma-tank, beckoning to them, was still turned away from the Wild Cards, but that would not last forever.

Somewhere deep inside Mario's mind, he was reaching out to something he knew was there. No more imaginings. No more distractions. Just him and it. His five senses still told of him the tremendous dangers looming nearby, for the earth trembled with each step of the giant mechanical destroyers as they began to travel closer and closer to Mario and his teammates. But Mario's mind was so far away somewhere else that he hardly noticed. It was almost like walking in space, in nothingness, towards a destination you know is real yet you have no concrete proof. Mario felt as if he were reaching for a dream. Mario had to reach it, but the more he needed it, the farther it seemed to slip away.

It was then that Mario remembered something from his Tae Kwon Do training. A single lesson spoken from master to student. A lesson in Zen.

"Come now, Mario," his master had once told the heavily-perspiring Italian-American. "Passion is not the answer to all things. Can one not fail by trying too hard? Thus is it written, 'When you seek it, you cannot find it.'"

Mario had stopped needing the solution. Instead, it was as if he only wanted it but was willing to travel clearly instead of violently. No more forcing himself to his destination. As he realized this, his frustration seemed to be replaced by a strange feeling of acceptance. In that moment, Mario saw the silent words appear in his mind as if etched there by some unseen hand...

I am closed and sealed as commanded.

As it was with Rattletrap, these words did not belong to Mario. He had not imagined them. They belonged only to one thing - the door that lay beneath his feet..

What do Mario and Hercules do now?

(GM note for everyone)
Elinor and Toph, while out of combat, are still free to communicate and act as they wish. In other words, don't stop posting just because you're not in danger at the moment. If there is something you want your characters to say or do, you are free to do it. =)

You have done well. But now it is time for a new command. Time to open. Mario tries to be firm but reassuring, not knowing what might happen if the Ghost in the Machine decides to fight him. Time to open the door.

(Mood music)
"One Slip" by Pink Floyd

Partial lyrics:
One slip, and down the hole we fall
It seems to take no time at all
A momentary lapse of reason
That binds a life for life
A small regret, you won't forget,
There'll be no sleep in here tonight

A long moment passed. Then the door replied.

Access granted.

Suddenly, the ground shook and buckled. Hercules and Booty staggered wildly about for a moment but Mario, kneeling with his bare hand against the alien superstructure, hardly moved. A tremendously-large gap yawned before them becoming greater by the moment. The grating noise the titanic doors made in their movement was undeniably loud as two doors of twenty-five feet of mega-damage steel moved angrily in opposite directions from each other.

"By Bob Marley!" Booty exclaimed. "You did it, Mario-mon!"

"Meeeeeeww!!" MechaKitten mewed.

The gap stretched out dividing the Wild Cards and Scavengers. Immediately the Wild Card tankers saw the trio of ridiculous-looking unconscious men slipping away from them, carried away by the sheathing door they were lying upon.

As the portal widened before Mario, Booty, and Hercules, they saw a gaping pit of the deep blackness beneath them. Looking down, there was a sensation of staring into the darkest unknown. Then the plasma-fire from the wreckage of the burning Scavenger sign sparked and shot as those electrical wires powering it burst and popped brightly.

The Toma-tank, hearing all this ruckus, swiveled its mighty torso and loomed down toward the pit.

"Dam, guys! You betta get dat door open or-- WUT DA FUCK?!"

The great spotlight mounted on the Toma-tank's shoulder flared to life. At first, the beam shone upon the three motionless Scavengers, but then Hercules, Mario, and Booty found themselves immediately captured in its radiance like felons caught fleeing a prison. The light also traveled down into the gap illuminating it. Beneath them, the Wild Card tankers saw a room some 80 feet wide and 80 feet long, square-shaped, and bare save for another alien console mounted on the floor. That floor was about 100 feet below the receding door they now stood upon.

In the middle of all this, MechaKitten clutched against Hercules, began purring. Without warning, Mario and Hercules saw words flash into their minds.

You really iz going into da Maelstrom!!

For Hercules, it was a familiar sensation for he had felt it in the AUL base when he had first met Professor Stein and Hitomi during Reggie's rescue. MechaKitten was there and he had communicated thusly and done more. Hercules and Mario shared a quick glance more out of soldierly instinct than anything else. They had seen these words come into their minds and they confirmed with a look that they had both seen them. Mario knew it was MechaKitten but that was all he knew. Booty appeared clueless. It was as if he had not seen the message. The big Jamaican had his hand on his jump jet controls and his excited eyes on the Wild Cards. He was waiting for their move.

The loudspeakers on the Toma-tank blared into the night. "YOU FUCKAS ARE DEAD MEAT!!" The twin 155 mm cannons of the titanic Toma-tank, still smoking from their recent discharges, aimed down on the Wild Card tankers.

What do Mario and Hercules do?

*​

"By Bob Marley! You did it, Mario-mon!"

It was Booty's voice over the Wild Cards's squadron channel. Then Toph and Elinor heard Shirley murmur over their cockpit speakers. As bad luck would have it, their leader was speaking out loud, to herself, with an open mike. The A.T.A.C. crew likely had not heard her for there was too much going on on the their end, but here, on the east side of Milton some 6 miles away, the stillness and quiet had powers of their own.

Shirley grumbled. "What did Mario do? C'mon, you shell-heads! Get in the base and give us a status update already!"

"Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Doors are open! But we've got the attention of the scavs, and have got to move! Lets hope that these jump packs will work as advertised!" With that, he breaks into a dead sprint towards the opening, not even pausing as he launches himself out into open space. At the last possible moment, he kicks in the jets on the jump pack to slow his decent, hopefully landing in a more graceful manner than his last leap.

OOC I'll spend an Action Point on my Roll With Impact roll to avoid busting myself up - again, and dodging as I go. Now I'm off to edit my sheet to remove the point.

Last edited:
Hercules wasted no time. The moment the doors started to split apart, he snatched up his plasma caster and trained it toward the Frankenmecha above. The noise from the door opening had to be loud enough to alert them, even over the noise of weapons fire. As the 'Toma-tank' reacted, Hercules was ready. He glanced at Booty and said simply, "Jump."
So saying he, too, hurled himself into the deep recess revealed by the opening door. However, he angled his descent to put the door half with the unconscious Scavengers as much as possible between himself and the 'Toma-tank'. With a murmured prayer to The Almighty, he fired his jump jets for a controlled landing on the ground below.

He glanced at Booty and said simply, "Jump."

Booty, wide-eyed and knowing their survival was on the line, did exactly as recommended. In tandem with Hercules, he hopped down between the giant doors, grateful for the Toma-tank's indirect light that guided their way though, he surmised, he doubted the mech's pilot would have been comforted with the knowledge that he had just aided the three tankers.

Digging in his little claws, MechaKitten hung on for dear life as Hercules prepared for the danger. "Meeeeeeeeeeeewww!" he cheered all the way down. This was exciting! This was adventure!

As Mario, Hercules, and Booty descended, the increasing pull of Earth's gravity seemed to yank on them as they fell faster and faster toward the unyielding superstructure door beneath them. The floor lit into fiery bursts of red as each of the Wild Cards and Booty lit their jump jets. The jets slowed their descent from a body-breaking free-fall to a merciful, almost graceful, landing. Their mega-suits absorbed the shock and force of their touchdown and their military training, which never lacked for experiences in eating the dirt, paid off tremendously. As their feet struck the floor with heavy thumps, there followed a clash and rustling of their gear as it settled.

Looking about, they saw the Zentraedi-sized console on a wall high above their heads. The floor they stood upon seemed to be exactly the same time of surface they had just left. Unlike the door above them, this one of course, was quite closed and sealed. Booty looked up as MechaKitten visually devoured all that he could in feline curiosity. Above the tankers, the blazing light of the Toma-tank loomed. The earth shook with each of its mighty steps and the promise of more such Frankenmecha returning to join the towering battle machine.

Booty, Mario, and Hercules all knew - if the Toma-tank caught them here, it was all over. Despite the wide area, there was absolutely no cover for them to seek shelter behind. They were wide open.

Booty, helpless to either distract the mecha or to open the door, felt like a cornered tiger. He raised his Mk. 25 skyward, flipped off the safety, and awaited the Toma-tank's appearance while, he hoped, one or both of his fellow Traversers used their technopathy to open the way to the comparative safety of the unknown. Booty felt that if somehow they were trapped here that he was going down as an A.S.C. soldier should - fighting hellaciously all the way.

Last edited:
Having just succeeded in getting the first door open, Mario wastes no time in running forward to be as close to the control panel and slaps his bare hand out onto the metal once more. I know what to do now. Don't force it, but instead, let it happen. Clear your mind and find the spirit of the machine. We are sitting ducks down here if we don't get inside quick.

With a deep breath, he closes his eyes to look inside the door and not rely upon his other five senses. Time to receive a new command and open. Open the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back