• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Two: Into the Maelstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toph is quite ready to blurt out the details to Neqel about the mission, but as a young new officer, she is also keenly aware of the need-to-know, and her dear Aunt might not be on that list. Assuming that Mack doesn't tell her to stop, she begins to give an update. There are three Veritechs currently in the area; two Valkyries and my Ajax. We have (hopefully) inserted three members of our team that are VHT pilots into an underground Zentraedi base in order to recover two captured Spartas hover tanks that the Zens down there have gotten their hands on. Once they entered the base, we lost contact with them to know their current status. Outside, we have a force of twelve scavengers in Frankenmecha that are attacking the base, presumably to take whatever tech they can grab from inside. Our objective is to get the tanks out, and if that is not possible, destroy them to keep the new tech out of the Zentraedi hands. The same goes for this Ajax. if I see that we are in danger of being captured, I am to eject and set the mecha to blow to keep its secrets from the enemy.

While all of this is true, Toph makes sure not to send any details about the Traversing power or how they got selected for the mission. That will have to come at another time.

(GM note: Big post incoming! Grab a snack and a drink!) =)

"Blade Runner (End Titles)" by Vangelis for the Blade Runner Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

"Time to move." He looks around on the ground for his laser rifle, because he sure as hell not going to be going up against the troops here with just his pistol.

Mario found his rapid-fire laser cannon lying but a short distance away. Cpl. Booty saw it too. Being nearer, he picked it up and handed it to Mario as the young Italian-American rose to his feet for the umpteenth time this day.

Mario suddenly comes to a halt. "Waitaminute. Wait a damn minute! Those Zeeks out there said something like, 'The micronians are on board'. I'm thinking that we might be inside a ship and not just a underground base. If that's the case, we just stepped deeper into the woods than I ever though I would be! We have got to keep our eyes wide open and report back ASAP."

Booty staggered at the notion. "You sayin' whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" Now the big Jamaican looked all about the ducts with new eyes. He thought while the Zentraedi outside continued to shout. "Mario, if we in a Zentraedi ship --"

But the opportunity for the grizzled warrior to complete his sentence was taken from him as the three tankers heard hard shouting from the room they had just vacated. That commotion caused Booty to turn, weapon raised at the vent opening. He could not understand the words of the gigantic aliens, but he could hear the maliciousness in them.

Mario, however, comprehended all.

"Yes, my lord! We will find the Micronians! Then we will destroy them!"

"But which hole did they flee into? We will waste time finding them!"

"Hah! We will not have to find them!"

"Of course! Ha ha ha!"

There was the creak of armor and the sound of a heavy hand patting. As if in reply, there came several guttural replies...

"Arrr? Arr?"

"Arrrrrooo?"

No human or human-like creature could make ugly growling sounds like those. Whatever made them was something else entirely. And to the Army of the Southern Cross tankers, it was a something else that was entirely new to them.

"Micronians!" one voice yelled in English. "You are nearby! You can hear us!" There was a pause as the A.T.A.C. Wild Cards heard clearly the sounds of hands tapping on computer keys like that of the console.

"Prepare for death, little weaklings! Our pack will tear you limb from limb!"

"Yes!" the second agreed. "You will know great fear! You will know the despair of all who dare to challenge the Zeki-Zentraedi! Die properly, Micronians!"

Then the Zentraedi said something that sounded like a command.

"Wargoths! Hunt the Micronians! Find them!"

From the order came a mad scrambling from the room below, like dozens of unbooted feet clawing and scratching frantically. It was soon accompanied the tell-tale sounds of multiple creatures sniffing hastily. Then...

"Arooooooooo!!"

"We have found you, Micronians! Now you die!!"

Booty took one startled look at Mario and Herc and turned to bolt. As quietly and as urgently as he could, Booty said, "Let's get de hell outta here!" He grabbed Mario's arm as if to turn him toward the square duct tunnel that led further into the unknown. Then Booty ran as silently and as speedily as he could. For it was obvious - there was one thing that the A.T.A.C. team needed now - distance...

Hercules followed.

*​

If you like jazz, that is. =) "Space Lion" by Yoko Kanno for the Cowboy Bebop series.

Unit One, there are many things that I would hope you can tell us. Are there others of your kind here? If there are others of your species here, for what purpose have you come here?

The insectoid seemed to pause in thought. Then again, it paused often for apparently many reasons. Unlike many humans or Meltrandi, it did not seem to have the desire to move for the sake of movement, but instead seemed to value stillness for reasons only it knew.

To Toph's questions concerning its background, Unit One was forced to repeat itself. These things cannot be answered now though our great curiosity is mutual. Our purpose for contacting you must come first.

"Also, there are three other members of our team that have gone down inside the base of the Zentraedi that we have lost radio contact with. Are you able to mentally connect them to us through our minds the same way you just did for the four of us?

She nodded, agreeing with Toph's questions (particularly that last one, which echoed her own thoughts about nexus vs. radios). She added one of her own: And can you teach us how to make these nexuses?

Unit One considered quietly. For long moments, only the cool night breeze blowing through the Milton greenhouse could be heard. All through the house, the greenery swayed, caressed by the gentle invisible fingertips of the wind. Then Unit One addressed the T.A.S.C. Wild Cards and Neqel.

Queries: This One presumes your cadre members are also female humans? All of whom also serve the unpredictable legion of humanity? Hypothesis: Teaching humans the creation of nexus communication is, in nearly all cases, impossible for a variety of reasons most of which are due to failures and inabilities on the part of humanity. However, as our fabled Queen has presented, none of you are among those weak creatures.

This is because you are all Traversers.

Furthermore, this is the limit of information we can provide you on this subject; we cannot provide further or perform this request without the express permission of our ever-deadly Queen.
Conclusion: It is time for other important knowledge to be shared.
Unit One lifted its wide now-green eyes to the stars in the sky.

Mistress Neqel, during your most-recent period of dormancy, time likely seemed to come to a stop for you. It did not, of course, stop for us. Events occurred. Battle was waged. We were victorious as our celebrated Queen continued her vacation aboard the Zeki-Zentraedi vessel. During this time, no other forces of humanity were discovered. However, per your last instructions...

Everyone heard Neqel's bold and thoughtful voice in their minds, if only briefly. She said...

"Now, Unit One, this is what I require. I'd like a status report. I'd like my...culture-object retrieved. Then I'd like a return to friendly forces. But before that, I'd like a brief summary of what you know of Ura-Meltrandi and the Maelstrom."

Then Unit One's mind-text resumed. Your desire to return to friendly forces was fulfilled - we brought you to our Queen! Unit One closed its eyes and seemed to lift its head in pride.

It was then, in your dormancy, that our Queen examined you. With great wisdom and intelligence typical of her, she made several new facts known to us...

Firstly, Mistress Neqel is not
Ura-Meltrandi, but Lisara-Meltrandi! Your people fought against Dolza-Zentraedi which benefitted this human race. So, while like Toph Kirin, you are made of that which we adore, neither of you are loyal to the Ura-Meltrandi and therefore us!

Secondly, through your actions, it is clear that both Dolza-Zentraedi and Zeki-Zentraedi are your hated foes. This makes you allies of a sort of our Queen and therefore us, hence our continued use of the title, 'Mistress.'

Thirdly, our most-perceptive Queen pointed out that you are not wearing a transceiver - an omission This One made in Self's excitement of learning about you. Consensus was immediately held. It was determined that you and anyone not wearing a transceiver and yet able to partake of a nexus, binary or polyphonic, is clearly a Traverser. And yet, you, perhaps all of you, have no knowledge of the Zeki-Zentraedi nor the Ura-Meltrandi. While this has answered many questions for us, this has produced even more enigmas than before.

Fourthly, our gracious Queen ordered that you, Mistress Neqel, Lisara-Meltrandi of the Armies of Southern Cross, be returned to those you deem "friendly forces." After Self's account of Mistress Neqel's actions, our beloved Queen has judged that you are not only fit to live, but should continue your own war against the males. She was deeply impressed with what she saw in you. She stated that she had never before seen a creature quite like you. It is by her request that we made contact with these humans now before you. Above all, our Queen required you not fall into the hands of any Zentraedi.

Finally, our benevolent Queen has decided your fates both as human defenders and Traversers in the Maelstrom, are completely your own. We are content to remember you, Mistress Neqel, along with your song, your love of a human male, and your mind-opening statements that cause us all to wonder as never before. Never in all our time in the cosmos did we imagine such creatures as you or Toph Kirin possible!

Unit One then faced each of you, one at a time, and watched you as if savoring the memory of you.

Our mission complete, it is now our time to return to our Queen's side. Though she most certainly does not require our assistance, it is best. We wish you fare--

But Mack was not having it. Shirley's Red Baroness stood up a bit straighter as if in surprise. She shouted. "Hey, waitaminute! You can't just up and leave after all that! We have questions too! My guys are in that ship!"

Unit One found this human's interruption both rude and arrogant. Its eyes shifted, yellowing. Human, you are not in a position to stop us. We are here for the Meltrandi. Our mission is concluded. Our Queen--

Shirley interrupted. "--might the only person who can help us save our guys!"

Query: Guys?

"Forget it! Just listen! Your queen is inside... not a base but a Zentraedi vessel? And on some kinda holiday, right?"

Correct! Our devoted Queen enjoys causing humiliation and death among Zentraedi especially in places where they feel they are secure. Tales and records of her sneaking aboard Zentraedi vessels and single-handedly taking them over or sabotaging them unto destruction are legendary among us!

Shirley flinched. 'Single-handedly?' she cringed. Cripes! Just how big of a bug were we talking about here?! "O.K... Well..." Shirley thought hurriedly. If she let this Unit One go, she and her Wild Cards were right back to square one - nowhere. There had to be a way to get help to her guys inside the base, er, starship! "I'm the leader of this..." what was the word it has used? "...cadre! We're called the Wild Cards!"

Unit One jerked back in surprise and confusion. Is this possible? A human in command of Meltrandi?

Shirley heard that and took offense. What was the bug expecting? Another bug in charge? Shirley had earned the right and rank to lead. She was not about to be put down by some.... some alien grunt! Shirley yelled. "Listen, Unit One! They call me Mack! I am here to kick ass and drop bombs and there is no flaming way in hell I'm gonna let a buncha Zentraedi jerk-offs take out my guys!"

Unit One patiently clicked its mandibles. Query: What does Mack propose?

Shirley grinned, her blue eyes narrowed. "You obviously didn't come out here the same way my guys went in. You know another route into that Zentraedi ship."

Unit One's eyes yellowed with a hint of redness. Query: How does Mack intend to have us show this path?

Shirley looked Unit One in the eyes. "Simple. You say you and your queen have never seen anything like Neqel, huh? I bet your queen hasn't ever seen anything like our Toph, has she? Tell me she wouldn't be interested in having a conversation with what might be the only half-human, half-Meltrandi Traverser on the planet? Or even in the solar system?" Shirley held the controls of the Red Baroness readily. "As leader of my cadre and in gratitude for your actions on behalf of 'Mistress Neqel,' I have a request."

Query: Request?

Shirley smiled. "Unit One, take us to your leader."

Unit One's eyes lost their yellow tint and immediately became a joyous bright green. A silent moment passed.

Conclusion: Consensus reached. We are in agreement! Come!
Unit One rose and began to exit the greenhouse in the direction of Elinor and Shirley's veritech fighters.

Shirley winked at Toph as she guided her Valkyrie. "You wanted a crazy rescue plan, right? How's that for starters?"

Mario takes the rifle from Booty with a nod of thanks. As the three men start off down the dark passage, Mario can hear the voices of the Zentraedi in the other room. "Shit. They have something that can get into these airshafts after us, something that translates out as 'wargoths'. We need to move." As the trio starts out, Mario pulls out a new power clip and slaps it into place in the port on the rifle. My old one has four shots left, but if there is going to be a firefight in the tunnels, I want every shot I can ready to go. Now, if there was only some way to speed up the task of finding the tanks, and then be able to get in touch with the ladies outside to tell them about the ship-theory I have.

Toph can feel her stomach sinking with the thought of the rest of the team being on an actual spacecraft instead of just in some secret underground base. Holy crap on a cupcake! Unit One, is this ship still in an active, flyable condition? If so, we have to warn the ASC right away! Fighting off a few insurgents is one thing, but facing off against a working Zentraedi cruiser? That's some serious bad news! Then, other facts start to sink in. Toph looks over at the second seat in the Ajax at Neqel. You have the same Traverser power that we do? That's awesome!

Mack, we have to call the Colonel and update him on all of this. There might be too much for us to handle on our own here, and with the First Contact situation, too? This is waaaaay over our pay grades.

Mario, Hercules, and Booty ran down the ducts. Mario swapped out the magazines in his rapid-fire laser cannon; now the thing felt fresh somehow in his hands. As they ran, there down the corridor behind them came eager scrambling sounds, claws raking on steel, hound-like whining and growling.

"Wot da hell is dis, mon?" Booty looked back once as they ran. "Zentraedi ain't creators - dey destroyas! How'n dem get... dogs?" He had no better word.

It was then that the three tankers came upon a T-junction in the ducts. They could turn left or right, but going ahead was no longer an option. Then again, neither was failure. Down the left passage, the corridor continued straight. There was a faint flicker of bright light some 300 feet away. To the right, the corridor curved to the right again about 100 feet away into silence.

Which way did the tankers choose?

*​

Mack, we have to call the Colonel and update him on all of this. There might be too much for us to handle on our own here, and with the First Contact situation, too? This is waaaaay over our pay grades.

"O.K.," Mack said, "First off. Wild Cards, from here on out, talk. This whatever-mind-to-mind communication is is rad to the max, but I can't tell your tone from your written words alone. Plus, our new buddy... Unit One? Iris? Which is it? And if you're 'Iris,' does that, uh..." Shirley did not know quite how to ask this politely, so she just flat out asked. "Hey, friend? Are you male or female? You gotta be one or the other, right?"

To which the alien insectoid responded, This One is female. As for unit designation, This One has never before considered a different unit designation for Self. Mistress Neqel? You have created the alternative, "Iris," for Self? Is Self to therefore alter its unit designation?

"Wait..." Shirley asked. "Why are you asking? Can't you make that decision for yourself?"

Unit One's eyes turned a shade of soft green. Mistress Neqel, though loyal to humans, is fully made of that which we adore. Her actions also follow her intentions. Whatever she requests, we will consider until the day comes where she is considered unworthy.

"Well, may that day never come!"

Agreed.

"Now... Wild Cards, as for being way over our pay grades, listen flygirls..." Shirley took a deep breath. Her tone was serious but not judgmental. "You think this is above your pay grade? Maybe you're right. You wanna bug out? Go right on ahead. No dishonor in wanting to stay alive. I'll go it alone if I have to. Blast it, I don't care if I have to fly outta here with Mario grabbing onto one of my wings, Booty on the other, and Herc stuffed upside-down in my backseat with the cat sitting on his bum - I am going in after them until either I rescue them or the option is taken outta my hands."

She sighed. "Hall. Kirin. You too, Amherst. I'm not asking you fellow gun-gals to risk your necks any further. You wanna hang back and go for another plan? You go where you gotta," Shirley looked off into the distance where, beyond the view from her Valkyrie's canopy, the sign to the "base" still burned in the night. "As for me..."

"...I'm goin' in."

Shirley glanced and nodded her readiness to Unit One. To her mild surprise, Unit One nodded back.

Conclusion, Leader Mack.

"Conclusion?"

Unit One tilted head in a girlish fashion. Conclusion: Our Queen would do the same.

Toph nods. "Understood, Mack. All communications to be vocal unless otherwise stated." She 'listens' to the back and forth between Unit One and Mack, wondering what comes next. "Ma'am? I'm with you, no matter what. But, shouldn't we report this in to the Colonel before we lose comms with the outside? Also, Unit One, is this alternate entrance into the ship large enough to go in with our mecha, or are we going in on foot?"

Hercules watched dispassionately as Mario's flight took him crashing into the roof of the ducting and then smashing to the floor. It wasn't that he didn't want to catch him, but the worry was that if he tried to it might result in one of their many weapons inadvertently being discharged, or both of them being injured by the intentional collision. Once Mario was on his feet and moving, Hercules brought up the rear, plasma caster leveled and pointing behind them as he jogged along.
The noises from whence they'd come made him glare back, ready for any potential dangers that might issue from behind them. At the T-junction, he turned and went prone, his weapon on its bipod and trained back the way they came.
"There's light down there to the left, nothing to the right. Nothing's coming from back the way we came, but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case for long. Decision?"

Elinor just remained quiet for a while, absorbing all this new info. Boy, was there a lot of it! This day just kept getting weirder and weirder, and she was willing to bet that wasn't gonna stop any time soon. "Ma'am, like a guy says in my little brother's favorite movie, 'I think we'd all prefer to go with the bizarre and risky. It's worked for us so far!' " She grinned at her squad leader's image. "Me, I'd vote for radio silence at this point. All the weird that's going on, it might just get back to the Big Boss's desk, and he's just as likely to haul us back in and send his own back out to grab the credit -- never mind what that might do to our boys below ground in the meantime. It's us that were given this job, it's us that'll finish it. Colonel trusts us to get it done. I say we do it."

"Ma'am, like a guy says in my little brother's favorite movie, 'I think we'd all prefer to go with the bizarre and risky. It's worked for us so far!' "

Mack nodded in agreement. "Can't argue with that, Leanne!"

"Me, I'd vote for radio silence at this point. All the weird that's going on, it might just get back to the Big Boss's desk, and he's just as likely to haul us back in and send his own back out to grab the credit -- never mind what that might do to our boys below ground in the meantime. It's us that were given this job, it's us that'll finish it. Colonel trusts us to get it done. I say we do it."

"Nah," Mack replied. "This squad channel we're using is not only encrypted because we're onna special mission, but it's also here for our protection - like those cameras they use on police vehicles and uniforms - we can't go back over something that happened in mission well unless it's recorded. If Steele wants to screw us, the absence of a squad log only helps him." She coughed. "Besides, I'm an auditory girl - I just plain need to hear you to fully get you."

"Ma'am? I'm with you, no matter what. But, shouldn't we report this in to the Colonel before we lose comms with the outside?"

Mack's tone sounded doubtful. "Hey Muppet? Just what would you give to Sharp if he were riding in your backseat right now? All I know is that I feel like real heel for agreeing to let our tankers go in there without us. C'mon, Toph! What's there to tell the full bird anyway? 'Hey, we found my aunt! Can we keep her?'" Shirley used the nickname for colonel with a sly grin.

"Also, Unit One, is this alternate entrance into the ship large enough to go in with our mecha, or are we going in on foot?"

The alien creature seemed to be able to communicate with the Wild Cards and Neqel whether or not they spoke or communicated mentally. The entry point is easily large enough for fighting carapaces of your size. It is an entry point used by Zeki-Zentraedi power armor. Please be prepared for combat!

"Nah," Mack replied. "This squad channel we're using is not only encrypted because we're onna special mission, but it's also here for our protection - like those cameras they use on police vehicles and uniforms - we can't go back over something that happened in mission well unless it's recorded. If Steele wants to screw us, the absence of a squad log only helps him." She coughed. "Besides, I'm an auditory girl - I just plain need to hear you to fully get you."
Elinor shook her head. "No, I'm with you on all that. I meant, radio silence as far as Base is concerned, at least until we've got our boys back and are on the way home. Or if we're really in over our heads and need backup, of course."

Mario looks to both sides, wondering which one to pick. No time to dawdle, we need to move. "Left. We go left, and see what we run into down there. Herc, cover our six, and I'll take point. Move quick, and move quietly as possible! Above all, watch for our tanks and gather up all the intel that we can on this ship! Lets go!"

Toph feels uneasy at the thought of going in to the ship without checking in. But, just what would she say to the colonel? Assuming that the message doesn't get to the wrong person, then get to General Steele. He'd probably order a massive air and artillery strike, and end up killing the guys! Besides, we have no personal proof that this is a Zentraedi ship, either in a flyable condition or not. With a sigh, she says, "Honestly, I don't know what I'd report in with. But, we won't get anything done sitting around out here! Lets get inside, find the Queen, get our team together, find those tanks, aaaaaand get out of there in one piece with all the proof we need to call Eglin for major firepower to be delivered onto the site! Whew! If it were an easy job, just anyone could do it. Lets go guys!"

Purr Purr
The revelations of both alien and Micronian came at a dizzying pace for Neqel. Decades of living among these humans had sped her reactions somewhat but it didn't change the fundamental fact that she and her clone-sisters had never been bred for this kind of thing. The Meltrandi were warriors. Warriors who woke knowing everything they'd ever need to know. Micronian concepts like 'revelation' or 'suspense' or even 'surprise' were as foreign as culture itself.

Yet she would adapt.

"Not all Micronians are female," she explained to Unit One. "Their sexes mix and serve side by side in battle. Though it seems this unit has left its men somewhere. Likely to get into trouble, knowing men." The last was said with a complete deadpan.

The mention of Traversers means nothing to Neqel so she dismisses it as unimportant. Particularly compared to Unit One's next bit of explanation. She found herself unsettled at the idea of being examined by an alien creature. Seeing as the Meltrandi had no standing orders for or against this species, though, most of that discomfort came from facing situations outside of the parameters she'd been born with. So she fell back on her Southern Cross training, becoming wary and watchful of the alien's motives.

"I would have followed Lisara to death, to glory, into the deepest gravity well or the brightest star, had she so bid me," Neqel replied once Unit One revealed her knowledge. "While she was my commanding officer, I expect you'll find there's very little difference between the Lisara-Meltrandi and the Ura-Meltrandi, for our leaders are legends and each of our fleets shares a unity of purpose."

"If you oppose Zentraedi, then you choose appropriate if unworthy foes," she continued with a bit of a sneer. "The universe would be better with them obliterated from it."

"I'd like an explanation on what a Traverser is, Unit One," Neqel added. "Perhaps when we've completed this mission and are secure in a command post or safety zone. In the meantime, thank you. These are exactly the kind of friendly forces I'd hoped for."

When Shirley and Unit One discuss the Lieutenant's command of the Wild Card team, Neqel simply nods and adds, "I'm not in the Lieutenant's chain of command but she is the ranking officer here and I would follow her orders," to clarify the Micronian's authority here. When it ends with Unit One's agreeing to take the team to see the Queen, Neqel finds herself...a little torn and unsure of herself. She didn't belong here, wasn't on a mission, didn't even have a sidearm to help with. Yet the strange alien had saved her life. The chance to learn more about them was a rare opportunity, especially if it could create a tactical advantage.

Toph looks over at the second seat in the Ajax at Neqel. You have the same Traverser power that we do? That's awesome!

Neqel looked blankly at the young woman grown from the child she remembered. "I don't know what a Traverser is. A pilot?"

Purr Purr
"Understood, Lieutenant," Neqel replied when Shirley gave the order to use spoken language. Instead of that bizarre talking-inside-her-head communication, whatever that was.

"I haven't created Iris as an alternative designation," Neqel said, correcting Unit One when she asked for clarification. "I simply offered it. In my experience, Micronians like familiarity. They deal with strange and new situations and people by normalizing those things. Naming things is a way to normalize those things. You will have easier interactions with the Micronians if you answer to 'Iris' as your designation."

When Shirley gives her inspiring little speech, Neqel smiled slightly in approval. "Risk is our business," she said when the Lieutenant refused to ask the team to join her. "If you have an extra gun on hand, I would enjoy putting it to use in your cause. A Meltrandi never refuses the opportunity for glorious warfare, especially when it leads to the rescue of fellow soldiers."

Last edited:
"Dogs of War" by Pink Floyd

Partial lyrics:
The dogs of war don't negotiate
The dogs of war won't capitulate,
They will take and you will give,
And you must die so that they may live

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world, one world

Mario looks to both sides, wondering which one to pick. No time to dawdle, we need to move. "Left. We go left, and see what we run into down there. Herc, cover our six, and I'll take point. Move quick, and move quietly as possible! Above all, watch for our tanks and gather up all the intel that we can on this ship! Lets go!"

Turning left, the A.T.A.C. tankers hustled through the long darkening corridor, their various heavy cannons clutched in readied hands. For a moment, the only sounds were the rustling of gear, the quieted clomping of boots, and the hurried breathing of the warriors. Without a light source from behind, they were soon swallowed up in unforgiving darkness.

Distantly ahead and getting nearer with each step was a small but very bright light not unlike that of an intense firework sparkler. A hissing sound like something burning reached their ears. And then they saw it - a massive grate blocking their way. Entirely made of superstructure, this was a barrier covering every inch of the corridor ahead of them. It seemed to be the kind of thing that kept air flowing freely but kept out indiscriminate pests and irritations like clouds of dust, pieces of battle debris, or small squads of infiltrating heavily-armed Micronian soldiers.

Yet, as they neared, the flickering light illuminated the silhouette of something man-sized and shaped. Something was kneeling between them and the grate and it possessed the source of crackling light. Along the grate, the Wild Cards saw the tell-tale lines of a powerful cutting torch and the red glowing lines cut into the grate and the bit of smoke that rose from it all. A cut was being made through the grate that would allow something roughly of Mario's size to enter through it.

But most curious of all, especially in this Zentraedi place, was the man-sized creature. "He" whirled at the sound of the oncoming tankers. No voice accompanied his movement, but there in the mega-damage "spacesuit" he seemed to be wearing was a faintly-glowing electric torch that had been cutting into the grate. Now that grate was behind "him" as he faced the Wild Cards. He seemed to stand in shaking surprise, hands wide open, as if to say, "Oh God! Don't shoot! I'm unarmed!" A glassy reflective dome covered any attempt to see any features inside that helmet.

Then the torch-light died and with it, the Wild Cards' ability to see...

Complete darkness descended. From back the way the Wild Cards had come, nightmarish howling made its way down the corridor. Echoing hatefully like souls of demons released from Hell itself, the canine-like baying reached the ears easily. The noises of sharp claws eagerly tearing up the distance as they raced along and the laughter of the Zentraedi behind them made for a hope-crushing scene. For the predators had caught the Wild Cards' scent. Eager to devour, they raced along and at them eating up the space between them.

"AROOOOO!!"

Booty braced himself with an angry snarl of his own as the animal inside of him responded back.

"Fuck you, mon!"

ASC Corporal Maximus Oceanus Booty had not come all this way to be food for alien dogs. Ship or no ship, base or no base, tanks or no tanks, Fat Booty was fully committed to going home in one piece with Hercules and Mario beside him. His fiery brown eyes narrowed and filled with terrible resolve as, now, back to the grate, he made ready to fight. He leveled his cannon back they way they came and kept it there for the growing cries of these devil hounds yearning for flesh came on and on.

Booty slowly seethed. "Aiiiiiin't no bettaaa!"

(GM Note: T.A.S.C. squad scene is up next. =) )

Last edited:
"Not all Micronians are female," she explained to Unit One. "Their sexes mix and serve side by side in battle. Though it seems this unit has left its men somewhere. Likely to get into trouble, knowing men." The last was said with a complete deadpan.

Affirmative, Unit One replied gently. This One remembers Mistress Neqel's words. A Micronian male taught Mistress Neqel how to sing. How illuminating!

Mack's tone sounded doubtful. "Hey Muppet? Just what would you give to Sharp if he were riding in your backseat right now?

"Honestly, I don't know what I'd report in with. But, we won't get anything done sitting around out here! Lets get inside, find the Queen, get our team together, find those tanks, aaaaaand get out of there in one piece with all the proof we need to call Eglin for major firepower to be delivered onto the site! Whew! If it were an easy job, just anyone could do it. Lets go guys!"

Toph spoke and immediately afterward there was this unusual length of silence from Mack and the squad channel. No shouts of, "Yeah, let's go!" or cries of the ASC motto "Loricatus Defensors!" Just silence.

Then came the laughter over the squad channel. Both Shirley's...

...and Colonel Sharp's.

"Heh heh heh! Congratulations, Lieutenant Kirin, you just have officially been set up by your commanding officer." His manly baritone voice came over the squad channel with a natural ease.

Mack chuckled. "I just knew she'd say something gnarly!"

Surprise, everybody! Hey guys and gals! Who remembers this part of the story? =)
While this was taking place, Elinor and Toph saw that Shirley was communicating on another radio channel entirely. Getting her attention, if needed, would be a simple matter of alerting her back to the squad channel.

Elinor called Shirley's attention back to the squad channel.

Shirley closed up her conversation and returned to squad channel.

Guess who Shirley was talking to, friends? =)

Colonel Sharp continued. "Fat Gandalf, his assistant, and I have been listening in on you here. Here's what we've got for you. Get ready because it's not all good.

"First off, concerning Lt. Hall's thoughts of back-up. As of five minutes ago, I can't give you any. Troops, you're on your own. This is per General Steele." The old tanker let that sink in. "The discovery of that Scavenger company of mecha at Milton set off a hellstorm at Eglin dispatch. We didn't know we had a rogue company of upgraded destroids anywhere near us. We go launching missiles like we did at the Mile Marker 25 incident and we could full well have a ground war on our hands between us and the Scavengers, whose numbers we cannot yet verify. Then who's left if this new Zentraedi ship decides to comes calling?" He sneezed. "Pardon me. The General feels that we can't leave Eglin vulnerable because Eglin base virtually has no backup at this time. His words, troops."

"Second up, remember we've never been a big base. We've got an air wing, a company of good tanks, and about half a dozen veteran Destroids against what could be a fully-operational Zentraedi warship with hundreds of soldiers, power armor, and aircraft. If it's anything bigger than a scout ship, Eglin and everyone in it could be destroyed."

"Finally, you've made first contact with an alien species. That's the first time that's happened since before the war. I'm glad you made friends with it."

"Pardon me, sir?" Mack chimed in.

"Ma'am?"

"Iris is a she, sir. We're positive."

"'Iris'? I thought it, er, she called herself 'Unit One'?"

"Well..." Shirley looked over Iris. She was watching you all with intense interest - intense for an insectoid that until now did not move a great deal. Now she was looking from cockpit to cockpit as each of you spoke. It seemed clear that she knew something was going on and could comprehend at least some of it. "You'd have to ask--"

Iris communicated mentally. Query: Shirl-ee? We have reached consensus and have gained permission to share data with you. Would you relay our data to your king?

"Uhh, yeah! Go ahead, chick!" Then Shirley mused; she had just called a giant insectoid alien a "chick." "You, uh, tell us. I'll voice it over the channel?" This Shirley did.

We have drawn consensus on multiple points. We are now ready to share these items including queries made by Toph Kirin.

Per Mistress Neqel's offer, This One would like to bear the name 'Iris' which means 'rainbow' in one of the older Micronian dialects. Self finds this creation of Mistress Neqel's... beautiful. Queen agrees it is fitting and has provided permission, albeit amusingly.
Iris closed her eyes and seemed to preen in delight. Conclusion: Our gratitude extends once again to Mistress Neqel whom we admire!

We are called 'Scrath.'

There was a pause over the squad channel. Colonel Sharp then replied. "Welcome, Iris, to our homeworld, Earth. I am Colonel Sharp of the Armies of Southern Cross. We extend these greetings to your kind and most of all to your queen. What data are you allowed to provide us, please?"

Self is happy to provide! Historical record: We are at war with the Zeki-Zentraedi. Long ago, the Zeki-Zentraedi discovered our homeworld. We welcomed them in peace. At first, they destroyed many of us. Then, lacking food, the Zeki-Zentraedi enslaved us. This lasted until the arrival of the Ura-Meltrandi. They freed us. They hate all Zentraedi. We, the Scrath, are not capable of hate though our feelings toward Zeki-Zentraedi and Dolza-Zentraedi come close. The Ura-Meltrandi fought for our freedom eventually winning our liberation from the Zeki-Zentraedi. Thus, we have sworn eternal fealty to the Ura-Meltrandi and eternal hostility toward the Zeki-Zentraedi and by extension, the Dolza-Zentraedi. We will continue to serve the Ura-Meltrandi here and on other worlds until the end of time or until they deem otherwise. Query: How do you respond?

Colonel Sharp sounded curious. "So... you worship the Ura-Meltrandi?"

A fair and accurate statement.

"What about the... Lisara-Meltrandi?"

We currently see no distinction between these factions. Conclusion: They are the same species and appear to operate nearly identically hence our continued openness and admiration with Mistress Neqel and our friendliness with Toph Kirin. They are Meltrandi whom we adore. We will destroy the Zentraedi to the last in their name. Query: How do you respond?

Colonel Sharp nodded. "Well, Dolza's damned Zentraedi destroyed most of Earth and we seek to eradicate their threat and restore our homeworld. However, we have allied with some of the, ah, Dolza-Zentraedi. They have consented to join us in the war against their creators, the Robotech Masters. As I understand it, they're the real villains behind the Zentraedi attack."

Query: You have allied with the Dolza-Zentraedi?

"Ah, only one faction. Call them... Micronian-Zentraedi if you will. At least until someone more creative than me comes up with a better name. Lieutenant Kirin and Corporal Amherst are products of this alliance. We have no allies among the fully-grown Zentraedi and we continue to hold a truce of sorts with the Meltrandi serving under Lisara. We have never heard of the Ura-Meltrandi or Zeki-Zentraedi."

Understood. You are therefore unaware of great many things. During this conversation, consensus and permission have been achieved. We offer to aid you in your efforts against the Zeki-Zentraedi to recover your stubborn males. Query: Do you accept?

You could hear the smile in the colonel's voice. "We do and with gratitude. Forgive my tankers - we are born stubborn. Please extend our gratitude to your queen if she is present?"

She is. She is currently vacationing alone on board the Zeki-Zentraedi vessel.

Colonel Sharp did a double-take. "Did you say... vacationing?"

Affirmative. Our ever-valiant Queen finds it relaxing to board Zentraedi vessels alone and destroy them from the inside out. Barring this, she enjoys causing as much havoc and distress among our enemies as possible. It gives her great joy and satisfaction.

"May she have much of both!"

Indeed! Suddenly, Iris's head turned westward. She gazed silently for one long moment, then she turned immediately to Neqel though all present could read her words. Alert! Mistress Neqel! Contact has been established west of this colony between rogue human force near one of the Zeki-Zentraedi warship's airlocks. Twelve human fighting carapaces are currently attempting to force their way inside the ship! Overwhelming Zeki-Zentraedi response is expected!

"What?!" Shirley grasped the controls in her cockpit. "Freakin' dumbass Scavengers! Colonel? What's the call?"

"Iris, please guide our forces to rescue our team inside the ship."

This shall be done. It has been... enlightening to speak with a human king. May you bear many offspring and your line be long into the cosmos.

You could almost see Colonel Sharp's look of surprise and relief as he replied, "And you, yours if they haven't already. I've enjoyed this chat too. I hope we get to meet face-to-face. Until then, swift death to your enemies."

And yours, King Sharp.

"You heard the man!" Mack yelled as the Red Baroness's engines roared lifting the machine off the ground and blasting dirt all over the streets. The titanic veritech followed her every move, turning as Iris quickly ran out of the greenhouse. "Hey, Iris, how fast do you travel--"

Without warning, the small bubble on Iris's lower back shot open revealing four grand dragonfly-like wings. Each glittered like a rainbow under the starry night. All four propelled Iris ahead at a terrific speed.

"-- on the ground..." Shirley gawked as she watched Iris go. "Totally wicked... O.K. throttle up, Wild Cards! We have tankers to bail out!" Mack led the way after Iris as they raced northward through the ghost-town of Milton Florida at over 100 miles per hour.

"If you have an extra gun on hand, I would enjoy putting it to use in your cause. A Meltrandi never refuses the opportunity for glorious warfare, especially when it leads to the rescue of fellow soldiers."

"It's your lucky day, chick! In my second storage bay, I've got a back-up kit of armor, weapons, and gear. Apparently, our gal Hitomi thought ahead and stuffed 'em in there for us. Hope you and I are around the same size!"

(Game Master note for all)
Not to worry, Shirley. You're the same size as far as I'm concerned.

O.K. In that storage bay is a stack of gear, weapons, etc. just for Neqel. Folks, this is totally a "GM Said So!" moment!

Since Pips's return to RPNation, I've been happy to get creative in ways like this for the sake of the fun and story, so... I'm just going to say that this gear has been in Shirley's bay all this time because I can and for reasons I'm sure you guys understand and be cool with. Unless someone here wants Pips's character to go weaponless into mega-damage combat without so much as a mega-damage shield between her and instant death? =)

One more thing - if any of your characters have questions or comments to Sharp, Stein, or Hitomi - now is a good time. =)

Mario snaps his eyes back and forth between the space suited figure and back down the airshaft. "Shit! Buddy, I don't know who you are, but I suggest you keep that torch cutter going while we look to deal with these hounds coming up from behind us. Alright, Wild Cards. Short, controlled bursts, and I suggest we focus fire on them one at a time to drop them as fast as we can. No telling how much killing they will take before going down."

Sticking to her mecha's Battloid mode, Toph throttles up to keep pace with Mack and Elinor in their Valks as the Wild Cards fly along as low as she dares at this speed. She keeps her eyes open and on the sensors to avoid any contact with buildings or power lines; those might just ruin a good day. As they fly, she briefly tips a mental hat to the Colonel. I had not considered the consequences to Eglin if we had to make an open, full scale assault on this ship. From what Mother has told me along with the intel reports I've read, even a Scout Ship would be a major undertaking to take out. Lord only knows what kind of a ship it is. Or, perhaps Unit One knows? Lets ask.

"Iris, do you know what kind of ship this is, and if so, what condition is it in? Can it still fly, or is it disabled? I'd like to know what we are about to go get into the middle of!"

Hercules, still bringing up the rear, spared a glance over his shoulder at the figure with the cutting torch, determined Mario was dealing with it, then returned to his rearguard. He dropped prone, setting his plasma gun on it's bipod again, and trained his sights back the way they came. The false-color image on the thermal scope showed little by way of threats, but he continued watching.
"Ready to fire, Mario. Just give the word."

...and Colonel Sharp's.

"Heh heh heh! Congratulations, Lieutenant Kirin, you just have officially been set up by your commanding officer." His manly baritone voice came over the squad channel with a natural ease.
There was only one response that seemed appropriate to a farm girl from Georgia. Elinor's palm smacked quietly into her face as realization sank in. Nice job, you just advised against reporting in while your boss was listening! Well, at least you explained why. Embarrassment faded as the conversation moved on. The lack of backup was concerning, but she could understand and even agree with it. Of more interest was Unit One's -- Iris's -- info dump. After all, it wasn't every day you got to meet a new species that was happy to tell you all about herself! She shook her head in an echo of Shirley's exclamation about the scavengers, feeling exactly the same. At least their boys were smart enough to try a stealthy approach!

"-- on the ground..." Shirley gawked as she watched Iris go. "Totally wicked... O.K. throttle up, Wild Cards! We have tankers to bail out!" Mack led the way after Iris as they raced northward through the ghost-town of Milton Florida at over 100 miles per hour.

Elinor smiled at the lovely sight of Iris's dragonfly wings. She had a fondness for dragonflies anyway, and this one was being particularly friendly and helpful. "Yes, ma'am!" she replied enthusiastically as she sent her Valkyrie into formation with the other two. "And here's hoping those Franken-idjits distract at least some attention away from our boys!"

(Wild Cards - A.T.A.C. squad)

Mario snaps his eyes back and forth between the space suited figure and back down the airshaft. "Shit! Buddy, I don't know who you are, but I suggest you keep that torch cutter going while we look to deal with these hounds coming up from behind us.

At Mario's words, the tankers heard "Buddy" moving around in the darkness. A moment later came the reassuring sound of the cutting torch as a bright bonfire of sparks burst and popped.

MechaKitten's ears and tail were up. He hopped down and hurriedly ran over to "Buddy," not to inspect the burning metal but to inspect the one doing the burning. "Meeew?" he asked inquisitively. From his kneeling position, Buddy turned and saw the diminutive metallic kitten. The sight of the little fellow jerked him back and MechaKitten too.

"Meyooo!!"

MechaKitten eagerly jumped into "Buddy's" arms. Lit torch out of the way, Buddy one-armed hugged MechaKitten and rocked him back and forth affectionately. Then MechaKitten turned and looked back towards Hercules and back at "Buddy." "Buddy" examined Hercules and paused briefly as "he" came upon a realization. He looked back at his cut into the grate and seemed to measure with his free hand. Then once again the glow returned, this time expanding his work to make a hole large enough for the biggest person in the Wild Cards's group.

MechaKitten got out of his way. He looked back down the corridor where the terrifying howls came closer by the moment. Golden eyes thinned to slits, MechaKitten reared up and hissed. Perhaps it was the only expression of defiance he could make, but it was far better than to be silent. Their enemies deserved nothing less than death. But that, MechaKitten surmised, is why they had been carrying along the heavy-looking Big Bangs for.

Because it's just such a good combat jam and I can't get enough of that bass guitar... =) "Panic Switch" by Silversun Pickups

Booty knelt into a firing stance and adjusted his scope on his Mk 25, but it was useless. The electronic glass relied on heat signatures to function. Booty pulled one of his four flares and popped it. He hurled the little smoking brand down the tunnel. It was a good throw; the flare twirled through the air like a tumbling star and brightly illuminated the junction ahead. Now, the three tankers had a clear view as the sounds of the pack came scraping and charging on.

But despite the warnings, could any of you really be prepared for these horrible things that came barking and snarling, fangs bared, around that corner and at you?

O.K. Who saw Ghostbusters? Remember the Zuul's Terror Hounds? You know... these friendly and cuddly beasties?
GhostbustersWiki-Fandom.png
(Image credit: Ghostbusters Wiki - Fandom)

You may remember them from this little scene...

Now combine them with those loveable toothy mutant hounds from Fallout 4.
FO4_mutant_hound.png
(Image credit: Fallout Wiki - Fandom)

Add a bit of mega-damage spiked armor like this...
frankenstein-s-army-2013.jpg
(Image credit: Discover Movies to Pin)

...and add a few more amphibian traits like webbed feet and thicker toad-like muscles and there you have them...

...Wargoths.

The red flare lit their shadows upon the walls. The tankers saw them clearly now. The pack came screaming, their muscled legs hurling them across the floor of the ventilation shaft... and along the walls... and one running along the ceiling at you... Six in total all baying like canine Cerberus from the deepest Hell.

Oh! Did I forget to mention? It's time for Initiative! 8D

(Wild Cards - T.A.S.C. team)
Sticking to her mecha's Battloid mode, Toph throttles up to keep pace with Mack and Elinor in their Valks as the Wild Cards fly along as low as she dares at this speed.

Toph's Ajax is able to keep up thanks to the multitude of booster nozzles the veritech is equipped with. Though the versatile mecha is at home in space, the right pilot can make the fighting machine dance in atmosphere and with her rigorous training, cool head, and natural reflexes, Toph is such a pilot.

"Iris, do you know what kind of ship this is, and if so, what condition is it in? Can it still fly, or is it disabled? I'd like to know what we are about to go get into the middle of!"

Iris replied. Yes, Toph Kirin. During our brief time in the vessel, we have concurred that it matches the inner layout of an Assault Scout. It appears to be in pristine condition. Supposition: We do not know if it can fly or not, though if it can, our mighty Queen is likely working to alter this or at least reduce the number of Zeki-Zentraedi able to operate it. Iris seemed to grin proudly.

"Yes, ma'am!" she replied enthusiastically as she sent her Valkyrie into formation with the other two. "And here's hoping those Franken-idjits distract at least some attention away from our boys!"

Mack sounded doubtful as the Wild Cards raced after Iris. "I don't see how given that those lamebrains are trying to blow their way in through the very entrance our guys accessed..."

Meanwhile, Iris hearing Elinor's words seemed lost in thought for a moment. Consensus reached and permission granted: Enemy rogue humans are now designated "Franken-idjits." Gratitude to Hall!

Iris, inflight, turned her head all the way around briefly to look at the three Wild Card veritechs. Query for clarity: Your stubborn males are inside the Zeki-Zentraedi craft where the "Franken-idjits" are warring?

Mario calls out, "Fire at the lead hound!" With that, he levels his laser rifle and fires his first burst on his target, getting ready to dive aside as the beasts continue to charge in at them.
What range are we at from the hounds, and how long before they are in melee range of us?
Shots remaining: 5/6

Elinor shrugged. "Well, ma'am, I'm hopin' our boys have gotten somewhat away from that entrance. If so, all them Zek-Zentraedi are focused on at least slightly the wrong place." She grinned at Iris's comment. "You're welcome, Iris! Glad you and yours like it. And yeah, our 'stubborn males' went in lookin' for some captured mecha-tanks of ours that we really don't want them Zek-Zentraedi to keep. The idea was, they find 'em, hop in, and drive 'em out and we'll all head home safe and happy."

(Wild Cards - A..T.A.C. Team)

ZZZZZAM!

A quintet of bright red lasers lit up the corridor as Mario pulled the laser cannon's trigger on the lead "hound." Dodging swiftly, the Wargoth slipped to its left, but the A.T..A.C. corporal sensed this and tried to tracked its movement. It was very difficult, but Mario's newly-earned scope made all the difference. The bolts blasted the Wargoth head-on to maximum effect. The beast cried out one long horrid belch and lay smoking and still. Its five brethren, angered by its fall, charged on. Still, the work Mario had done to lug the bulky 37-pound cannon along made the moment worth every step.

(Wild Cards - A..T.A.C. Team)

Whoopsie! I goofed and hit the OOC button too early, so I decided to post Mario's results and then post again, here, for Fat Booty and the Wargoth pack.

Fat Booty clicked off the safety and let go with a burst of six high-explosive 40mm grenades. Master of the Eglin Special Forces arsenal, the Jamaican did not think he would get more than two bursts off, for unlike the weapons carried by his fellow tankers, each of his grenades created a 16-foot diameter blast which meant that once these alien dog-things got within melee distance, his weapon would become as much a danger to his own squad as his enemies. The thought of firing behind the creatures to put them in the blasts came to him, but he felt that kind of shooting would be too risky given the situation, for if he missed, it could cost the life of any one or all of them. So, Booty decided, he would lay down two bursts, then drop the AGL and go to his LAR-12 rifle for the rest of the fight.

He pulled and held the trigger at the new lead enemy.

THOOMP-THOOMP-THOOMP-THOOMP-THOOMP-THOOMP!

The rounds sailed through the air but the Wargoths spread out wide. The entire burst missed...

"Wat da bombaklat?!" Booty cursed.

As the Wargoths closed the distance, three of them in the front opened their maws wide. Suddenly, out shot long slimy-looking pink appendages from inside them - their tongues! Like oversized frogs attempting to take in flies, the alien dog-things were trying to hit the Wild Cards from 20 feet away! Each aimed at a tanker and none upon MechaKitten or "Buddy."

How do Mario and Hercules react in defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back