• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Two: Into the Maelstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Previously in Chapter One: Binary Nexus)

(Spoiler contains a short video to fit the mood. Safe For Work [though you will likely get people's attention if they hear it.])

Let's start this little battle scene with these sounds, shall we?
This is very close to what The Enemy sounds like as it attacks Toph... (The Enemy sounds meaner.)

The Enemy struck at Toph in a flash of motion. As she propelled herself sideways, the alien feline tore at her with its sharp fangs, coming so close it tore the clothing away from her midsection. Only Toph's reflexes and combat training saved her from being disemboweled. It snapped its teeth and barrelled into her with its full force, striking the human-Zentraedi with just the right timing and precision to knock her off of her feet. She landed on the floor. All she saw was The Enemy's teeth and claws as it bore down upon her.

Toph found one of its paws upon her belly. She found herself immobilized by its mass and technique. Its fangs bared wide again and aimed for the flesh on her throat.

Then the strangest of things took place...

(Game Master note: I am writing up the follow-up post to this now. Expect a reply here not too long from now. =) )

Last edited:
(Game Master note: Grab the popcorn and drink. It's another big post! =) )

Toph's mind and senses could not have been more alive, more threatened, and more open in the moment The Enemy bowled her over and went for her throat. That one touch of its paw, pinning her to the floor, stopped her from attempting a second attempt at dodging. Like a big Earth cat, The Enemy had attacked its prey, pinned it, and was moving in for her throat.

And yet... in that moment... as it laid its metallic paw upon her bare skin... Toph felt her mind going... as she Traversed with The Enemy... it roared its anger at her... and she understood every bit of it:

You dare enter the Maelstrom?! You dare defy us?!

Toph did not go alone! Others had heard this message too! As her consciousness rose beyond her five normal senses, so did The Enemy's. Trying to escape it was like trying to avoid the destruction of a sun going super-nova; something energetic and unseen exploded outward at an incredible speed through the armory until it had also enveloped Elinor, Hercules, Mario, Reggie, Shirley, Arthur Stein, and even little MechaKitten. Each one of them found themselves helpless inside of a technopathic bond with this alien enemy.

Something screamed in unholy terror.

Traverrrrserrrrs!! AIEEEEE!!!

It was the diabolic cat-thing. Its scream was frightening and demonic. Every soul inside the technopathic bond could not help but hear it. The creature had gone from killing ferocity bent on ending Toph's life to a mad panic in a split-second. Now it wanted nothing else than to flee from her, but it may as well have been trying to escape a black hole...

As the bond took place, your minds seemed to float above and away from the armory until you were drawn into a journey that began inside of your minds.

(Spoiler contains mood music.)

"Yet Another Movie" by Pink Floyd. This song best fits the mood I'm feeling as I write this scene, so here it is.

Full lyrics:
One sound, one single sound
One kiss, one single kiss
A face outside the window pane
However did it come to this?

A man who ran, a child who cried
A girl who heard, a voice that lied
The sun that burned a fiery red
The vision of an empty bed

The use of force, he was so tough
She'll soon submit, she's had enough
The march of fate, the broken will
Someone is lying very still

He has laughed and he has cried
He has fought and he has died
He's just the same as all the rest
He's not the worst, he's not the best

And still this ceaseless murmuring
The babbling that I brook
The seas of faces, eyes upraised
The empty screen, the vacant look

A man in black on a snow white horse,
A pointless life has run its course,
The red rimmed eyes, the tears still run
As he fades into the setting sun

Images of today's world flow through your minds; the Earth after the Rain of Death. This is the world your characters have been growing up in; the world after the First Robotech War. You have seen many, many images from the lenses of photographers around the world, all sent by the precious few satellites still active and orbiting the planet of our birth.

Those images look like this...

(Spoiler contains pictures.)
Post-Apocalyptic-Eiffel-Tower-France.jpg passeurdesciences.blog.lemonde.fr.jpg
(Image credit: Viralscape)

apocalyptic-background-3,  www,spyderonlines,com.jpg
(Image credit: Knowledgehi.com)

c13dbeeb24bdee9a2d2156cd2e2ca699, www,pinterest,com.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

And finally...
6b8812a026513a1b7daae0c0d899ec38, www,pinterest,com.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

Then... as the mind of The Enemy crossed the boundaries possible only through technopathy... you see images you have never before seen. And in viewing them, the thought may enter your mind - are you the first to see this? Is this the present somewhere? Or the future? Our future?

(Spoilers contain pictures.)
InvidSupercarrier.jpg
(Image credit: Robotech Wiki - Wikia)

invid_patrol_by_highdarktemplar.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest )

the_invid_by_seothen-d229h8q.jpg
(Image credit: kevarin - DeviantArt)

05rob32.jpg
(Image credit: The Audio of Amber - WordPress.com)

Post_Apocalyptic_Art_Vladimir_Manyukhin6,  weirdrussia,com.jpg
(Image credit: Look.com.ua)

And finally...
401fd881930b,  www,nuclear-city,com.jpg
(Image credit: Nuclear City )

There were other images, each producing its own deluge of feelings and wonders. Images of these creatures dominating the Earth. Not Humans. Not Meltrandi. Not Zentraedi. None but The Enemy.

Florida and Georgia were barren wastelands. Greece was a burning hell worthy of Hades. New York, perhaps America's most-famous city, was no longer recognizable.

Throughout all of these horrid, desolate scenes, The Enemy searched and searched. For what, none of you could tell.

But humanity could clearly not stop it.

Then... outside of this mind-flooding whirlwind of emotion, something happened and your bond stopped. Each of you found yourselves on the floor, shaken, groggy, feeling as if you went ten whole rounds with a deadly opponent. The images remained in your brains like a nightmare embedded.

The sound of The Enemy shrieked through your minds once more...

Traverserrrrs! DIEEEEE!!

"Open fire!"

It was Col. Sharp. Immediately, the sounds of deadly energy weapon fire filled the armory. There was a violent impact that could have only been something striking superstructure. A blur of motion flew past your muddled senses. Then each of you saw it... The Enemy... staggering and rising to all fours... fangs bared in one last hateful hiss.

Thisss planet is ourrrrss!! Live your lassst daaaayss!!

"What da bombaklat?! How it survive dat?!"

"Hit it again!"

Again came the sudden, violent blasts of energy weapons. Something exploded, the sound of its destruction filled every ear as it echoed off of the walls of the armory. Then there was silence seemingly deeper than any dream.

As you came to your senses, there was Hitomi, Col. Sharp, and Cpl. Booty - each of them slowly trying to get you to your senses. Col. Sharp spoke to each of you first. "The Enemy is DXed. We're clear. Now what in the world happened to you?"

In the background, each of you heard familiar voices. "Toph's stable, but pretty shaken."

"Troops, if you can hear me, raise a hand! Albert! Say something!"

Professor Stein's index finger rose up. "Ugggggh.... I'll... have another one of those, miss," he moaned deliriously.

"Reggie! Wake up, me boy!"

All around you, as your eyes began to talk once again to your minds, you saw the armory was a mess. The electronic table had been knocked over along with every chair. Strange, twisting white plumes of smoke rose from the Zentraedi device. Reggie was slumped over in his chair, unmoving.

There was now a tremendous blast mark, black and gray, on the floor - the place where The Enemy very likely met its end - but of it there was no sign. Not a single limb, fang, claw, or piece of debris. The entire thing was gone, vanished like the passing of a nightmare. Atop this spot was MechaKitten looking triumphant and cat-sure, flopped over on one side as he calmly licked his belly clean. If you listened, you could hear his purring.

Shirley put her hand to her head. She had been close to Hercules and Mario when she had fallen with them. Now she was on her backside like every other Traverser save Reggie.

"What... what in God's name just happened?"

Col. Sharp replied. "The demon-cat froze when it touched Toph. All of you fell over. The cat-thing got back up and tried to attack Lt. Kirin. We sent it to hell." Col. Sharp displayed a LAR-12 5.56mm laser rifle. Cpl. Booty slung his own LAR-12 over his shoulder as he tried to rouse his son.

"Now, you and your team. Troops? Give me a status report!" Col. Sharp moved quickly to Professor Stein's side.

Last edited:
Elinor pushed herself shakily into a sitting position.  "God Almighty," she said, the words more prayer than swearing.  "Guess you can add 'distance communication under some circumstances' to the technopathy briefin', Miss Hitomi.  Ow, my head.  Um.  Sir."  She straightened and saluted, but didn't try to stand yet.  "Thing went into Toph's head, and from there all the rest of us, sir.  I'm thinkin' it saw our memories of what happened to Earth durin' the Rain of Death, an' then it showed us ... well, I dunno.  Worse.  Aliens more alien than the Zentraedi, but just as out to get us, an' what -- maybe -- they're plannin' to do, an' it ain't pretty.  Sir, they want to take over Earth somethin' awful, at least this one did.  An' it knows what we are.  Traversers, I mean.  Seemed to have a particular grudge against us."  She rubbed her head.  "Then somethin' broke the bond.  Maybe it did.  An' you an' Corp'ral Booty took it from there."

Mario takes a deep breath as he pushes himself up off of the ground.  "Sir, other than feeling as weak as a kitten, I'm not hurt."  He looks over at Toph and averts his eyes from her exposed skin.  He slips off his jacket and offers it to the lady.  "Here.  Put this on so you don't show off your girly goodies until you can get a new shirt."  He looks at the smoking ruin of the Enemy and says, "Now, what the devil was that thing?  Were we seeing its memories?"

Toph clutches her ribs as they ache from the weight of the Enemy's foot on her chest.  After bringing her hand away from her stomach relatively blood free, she lets out a sigh.  "I may have a cracked rib or two from that thing standing on my chest, and my head feels like a jackhammer has been working on my skull and I feel exhausted.  Probably from Traversing so many times in such a short amount of time.  Other than that, sir, I do not believe that I'm hurt worse than a few scratches."  

She sits up, feeling drained and looks down at the ruin of her clothes.  At least I still have my bra on.  Between me and Shirley, we're giving the boys a real show.  When Mario offers his top to her, she nods and accepts it gratefully.  "Thank you, Mario.  You are a real gentleman."  

Mario scratches his head, looking puzzled.  "I know a little of the Zentraedi, both from historical documentaries I've seen and the time I spent learning how to speak the language in my comms training.  From what I know, and I freely admit that I might be incorrect, the Zentraedi don't have the technical skill to be able to make something like that - that giant cat-thing.  If the Red Zens didn't make it themselves, where did they get it?"  He looks over at Toph and the Professor to see if either one of them might have an answer for him.

Hercules watched the world move in slow motion as the cat-mecha lunged at Toph. He started to move himself, shifting his mighty body forward into a run, intent on colliding with the machine and if not dislodging it, distracting it away from the floored lieutenant. 

But then, his mind was struck with a cascade of images, Earth razed during the attack of the Zentraedi main fleet, followed by more images of strange otherworldly mecha and the surviving cities of Earth flattened and so stricken it would be impossible to imagine any life still existed in them. The visions ended with the volleys of laser fire from Colonel Sharp and Corporal Booty and the shock of disconnection drove the huge Greek to the ground, where he lay a while, shocked but uninjured. 

At the Colonel's order for a sitrep, Hercules nodded his head. 

"I'm up, sir. In future, sir, might I request we all arm up the next time we try opening Mystery Boxes?"

Toph lets out a nervous chuckle.  "I second that vote.  Damn.  I hadn't even thought that there might be a whatever that thing was inside to suggest we gear up prior to trying to open it.  Stupid of me, risking all of our lives like that.  There could have been some bio agent in there, and we might have exposed all of us, not to mention the lives of all the people at Eglin.  Next time, I'll know better.  In the meantime, is there anything left inside the container that the robo-cat came out of?  Something to answer the question of what it is, where it came from, and what the Zentraedi were doing with it?"

She cautiously looks over at the pod where the Enemy came out of, ready to jump back out of the way if needed.

(Game Master note for all)
I'm going to quote and respond in a slightly different order (an order that works for the story a little better as opposed to an order that was provided by when each player could post). Hope you guys don't mind.

"I'm up, sir. In future, sir, might I request we all arm up the next time we try opening Mystery Boxes?"
Stupid of me, risking all of our lives like that.

Col. Sharp ran over to Professor Stein. He gave Herc the fiercest look any of you had yet seen out of the old tanker. "You're darned right about that, corporal, except that the blame lies on me! As your commanding officer, I should have been looking out more for your well-being! Lieutenant," he indicated Toph, "you are not to blame yourself for this incident. That's an order." Laser carbine in hand, Col. Sharp looked over Professor Stein with an expression of true-hearted concern. "Arthur!"

"Ugghh... Hit... Hitomi?" The Professor murmured groggily. "My dear, I... I had the nightmare again. They are... coming to Earth, I tell you."

Seeing that Toph was more or less all right, Hitomi rose. The doctor moved beside him and began a well-practiced routine of checks on Professor Stein. "Don't worry, Professor."

"What? You two knew about this?" Col. Sharp shot Hitomi an urgent look.

She shot one right back. "Yes and no. Until now, we had theories and strange evidence at best. Like the Prof's nightmares."

"Nightmares?"

"I think it's a Traverser thing. While the United Earth Government is against all of humanity's enemies, Eternity alone has discovered that the enemy in the top spot aren't the Zentraedi. The real enemy are these... things." Hitomi indicated the blast mark where The Enemy had been.

"Thing went into Toph's head, and from there all the rest of us, sir. I'm thinkin' it saw our memories of what happened to Earth durin' the Rain of Death, an' then it showed us ... well, I dunno. Worse. Aliens more alien than the Zentraedi, but just as out to get us, an' what -- maybe -- they're plannin' to do, an' it ain't pretty. Sir, they want to take over Earth somethin' awful, at least this one did. An' it knows what we are. Traversers, I mean. Seemed to have a particular grudge against us."

Col. Sharp exclaimed "'Worse?' What in God's name could be worse than the Zentraedi?"

Hitomi replied. "Something that doesn't fear them."

"From what I know, and I freely admit that I might be incorrect, the Zentraedi don't have the technical skill to be able to make something like that - that giant cat-thing. If the Red Zens didn't make it themselves, where did they get it?" He looks over at Toph and the Professor to see if either one of them might have an answer for him.

Flat on his back, Professor Stein was in no shape to reply. Though he seemed to be coming to, he had not the benefits of fitness or the power of youth to aid him now.

Not far away, Cpl. Booty was gently shaking Reggie. He looked horrified. The expression passed as Reggie responded, moment by moment.

"D... daddy?"

"Me boy!" Booty hugged his son. Evidently the youth was just stunned as The Professor had been.

She cautiously looks over at the pod where the Enemy came out of, ready to jump back out of the way if needed.

Toph's body rebelled at first, for her mind had taken a violent toll. Still, the half-Meltrandi was fit and young and strong of mind. She was able to rise to her feet if she so chose. As she examined the Zentraedi device, it appeared empty, save for the hissing, thinning plumes of white gas billowing out. The device seemed more alien than ever now.

Meanwhile, MechaKitten simply continued to sit curled, comfortable, and seemingly content. He watched all with dreamy eyes.

Mario lets out a puff of air in relief that the pod is now empty. "Sir, before we head out, I would like to request the use of a HLW-6 Squad Support Weapon. Facing off against the known threat of the Zentraedi is bad enough, but if there is a chance that we might see more of these mecha-animals that can get into spaces that the full sized Zens can't, I want to be able to dish out the hurt on it big time. Best include one of the wearable packs to help give me the extra payload, and a pistol, a LP-10H, also with extra magazines." He looks around at the others of the team, both the mecha drivers and the civilians. "Another question sir. When are we moving out? I am anxious to get out there and see what we can do to get those tanks back."

(Game Master note for all)
Heya folks! I'm going to get this story moving while I've still got it in my head. I'm also going to put a thing or two into in-game here that we've discussed in Fat Gandalf's. Oh. And in that spirit, this is another big post split up into tasty segments. Hope you like it. Happy Friday! =)

(Oh, and here. Have some cool instrumental music to roleplay to. =) )
"Strength and Honor" by Chulainn (Epic Fantasy Music)

*​

So far, today was turning out to be a hard day for Hiram Sharp.

He had seen his old friend, Arthur, in person for the first time in a long time, he had gone through a roller coaster of an assembly, he had endured all that General Steel had thrown his way, he had enjoyed barbeque with the new recruits, and he had learned that he had failed Cpl. Booty by allowing Reggie to be captured by the AUL (though neither of them held him to blame). Furthermore, after all of the Traversers (Arthur included) had been knocked flat by forces well beyond his control or understanding, he had not safe-guarded his people when they opened the Zentraedi device, he had just learned that there was something worse (worse!!) than the Zentraedi - and he and Cpl. Booty had just destroyed their only evidence of it. The team was in a rough way (again, Arthur included). There were too many dangerous unknowns present for him to be comfortable with. It was a situation no leader wanted to be in.

In short, overall he was having a bad day.

"Corporal," Col. Sharp told Mario. "To your second question, take a look around you. Look at the condition of your team. That alone should answer that question. As for your first," he pointed toward Cpl. Booty who was unhappily cradling the semi-conscious Reggie. "He is the armorer and since Steel's Slayers got here first, I have no idea what he has in stock. Take your wish list to him; I say your team can bring along whatever the Slayers didn't take with them. Now excuse me." He returned his attention to Arthur.

One piece of good news Mario could add to his own list came from his own body - his ankle had stopped complaining. Since he had wrapped it well and nursed it, the rest had seemed to take care of itself. All he had to do now was not perform a repeat performance of diving late out of a dying Veritech Hover Tank and he would be fine. Most likely.

Finished for the moment, Hitomi told Col. Sharp. "Stay with him. He should snap out of it soon. Tell me if his condition gets worse."

"Yes, doctor."

Hitomi made her way over to Toph. "Easy there, Toph" she grinned but she wore the eyes of a doctor now. Hitomi performed her routine on the half-Zentraedi. She gave Toph a satisfied nod. "Bruised skin but no worse. A couple of days and those yellow marks it left on you with its paw should be gone. Good thing it was trying to immobilize you instead of crush you; that beast was made of super-structure!"

Col. Sharp asked. "I wondered when we were shooting - why did it seem to toy with her?"

Hitomi's reply was sudden and chilling. "Maybe... it liked reaping reasons for pain and fear upon her?"

Having heard that, Col. Sharp decided his day was not likely to improve much.

*​

The rest of your team did not seem to require medical attention; they just needed time to recover from all that had just occurred. A few minutes passed as time did its work and not long afterward, the team found itself back at the table (some of them leaning on it like Professor Stein). Everyone stood, for the chairs had been knocked aside and no one seemed to be in the mood to right them. Their situation was far from business-as-usual and the current atmosphere at the table reflected that.

Discussions were made, like who would fill seat #6 in one of the three Valkyries. The Professor, Hitomi, and Cpl. Booty each provided what they could bring to the table, and in the end, the Traversers made their informed decision.

"Wait, wot?! You wantin' Booty to be joinin' your team?!"

Col. Sharp cleared his throat and replied with his best, "Yah mon."

Cpl. Booty gave his leader a strange look. Then he cast that strange, intense look upon each of you. "Booty will see if dey worthy!"

Reggie looked weak but he was paying attention. He pet MechaKitten who was watching from his lap. Reggie rolled his eyes. "Oh, here he goes..."

Cpl. Booty quietly stalked around the table. The first person he got to was Shirley. He stared straight into her face as if looking as deeply as he could into her eyes. At first, she recoiled. But when she got over the surprise, the Californian surfer looked back, this time with an expression of deep curiosity. She seemed to be wondering what he could be looking for.

Then Booty circled her and stared right at her backside. Shirley recoiled a little at that too. It was not the first time she had ever been examined, but never quite in this fashion, for Booty gave no indication that he was studying her butt for any of the typical reasons men did. Silently, he brooded. Then he nodded and moved onto the next person.

As he passed each of you, he stared into each of your faces. Your eyes. He examined them in a quiet, stern fashion. Then, with the same look, he stared at each of your rear ends. The only exceptions of the combat-ready were Hercules, whom he had seen before, and Col. Sharp.

What Booty saw came readily provided... =)

(Game Master note: Some of you may find these words... familiar. I would hope so, for this scene is the biggest reason I had asked for them from you five-plus months ago. Enjoy! =) )

What Booty Saw:

1. "As a very physical person, I am quite confident that there is not more than a trace of unwanted body fat on my frame. My butt looks quite sexy, well rounded and quite firm. I'm sure that the ladies love watching me in my shorts as I walk away from them."

2. "My rear end is quite shapely, weather it is in my bikini or in uniform. I am not the most beautiful woman out there, but I absolutely have a body that just won't quit!"

3. "*stares blankly for a moment, then goes to find a mirror and check herself out* ...Looks OK to me. Not fat, not flat. Glad to know I'm not gettin' desk-butt from all the cockpit time I've had lately."

(And just because it's here.)

4. "Honestly? Muscular. Tahel, my co-pilot in my M.A.C. II, kept slapping my behind every time we mounted up. She claimed it was an Israeli good luck ritual, but I have my doubts."

Cpl. Booty finished his circle around the table by approaching Col. Sharp and saluting him. The Colonel, his hands behind his back, held the pose of an officer at inspection (if only for Booty's sake). He returned the salute. His tone was all-business.

"Your findings, armsman?"

Booty held his chin high. "Ain't no skinny booties present, me colonel! Everybody know skinny booty neva winnin'! Only FAT booty winnin'! Dis team got fightin' booties! Booty can serve in dis team!" He flexed his mighty arms and added, "OHHH YESSS!!"

"Glad to hear it, tanker. Dismissed." When Cpl. Booty turned away, Col. Sharp gave out a quiet but heartfelt sigh of relief.

(Game Master note: Yes. It's true. If any of you had written that your characters had sub-par butts, bitty booties, or buns-unworthy-of-battle, Cpl. Booty would have had a serious problem with joining your team. In other words, he might not have joined you at all. Crazy, huh? =) )

*​

It was then that something dawned on the Jamaican-become-A.T.A.C.-tanker. Something... horrible.

"WAAAAAAAAIT A MIINNIT!!" Cpl. Booty exclaimed and argued to your team. Much arm-waving followed. "Dis mean you wantin' Booty to go up into de air in de Valkyries? You wanna be flyin' to Milton, Florida? Booty is tanker, mon! A.T.A.C.! I tellin' you! Once you A.T.A.C, dere ain't no goin' back!"

He made violent steering motions as if he were in the seat of a Veritech Hover Tank. "Booty meant ta be crashin' an' trashin' bad boys onna ground! Not flyin' up in de air like some wanna-be angel! Ain't no way you gettin' Booty up in no crazy change-plane! Booty belong on da ground an' dat be final!"

Cpl. Booty folded his arms and gave a menacing look to the Traversers. Then, finished with his say, he performed an about-face and made as if to walk away from the table. He found Col. Sharp staring right at him. Looking cross.

Immediately, Booty's menacing grimace faded. Now he looked worried. Very worried. Booty immediately performed another about-face back to you and asked, in a much smaller voice, one simple question:

"Uh, you wantin' Booty in da front seat or da back?"*

*(Game Master note for anyone into aviation.)
While Booty's reaction may be humorous, it brings with it an important piece of knowledge. Any aircraft pilot worth her wings would pick something up in his meekly-worded question - Cpl. Booty evidently has very little experience, if any, in the air - as any rocket jockey can tell you, the pilot of the aircraft always has the front seat (best view). The only time this is not true is during training (and then there are two pilots).

*​

Col. Sharp said, "Since that's settled, you'll need a line-up. You could also use a squadron name, but I'll leave that to you. As for the line-up, squadron leader?"

Shirley looked up to the ceiling as the gears turned in her mind. Then she spoke. "The biggest guys need the biggest aircraft and since Mario is the er, 'least-biggest,' of our three tankers, I think he should be in Toph's AJAX."

"You think, Lieutenant?"

"Oh, right." Shirley's voice became a little more firm. "Mario goes in Toph's AJAX." She turned to Elinor. "Who do you want in your bird, Lt. Hall? Hercules or um, Booty?" It still seemed odd to refer to a man as a body part.

Once these questions had been answered, Cpl. Booty went into his cage where he kept his stock. Col. Sharp noticed this and smiled.

"Troops, the armorer will have a basic set of armor and supplies for your mission. You may make requests, but there is no guarantee he'll have it now that Steel's Slayers have been in here. Head on up."

Shirley did not walk to the counter. She ran - out of ladylike necessity.

"Here you go!"

"All right!" Shirley exclaimed shortly after as she received her package, for there was a new and unused duty uniform inside. She ran over to Herc and returned his jacket. Raising up on her tip-toes, she leaned and gave him an appreciative kiss on his cheek. "Thanks for the borrow, Hercules." Then, singing some catchy American rock and roll tune, she headed off to the nearby dressing room to change.

(Game Master note: I'll have the basic gear for your characters written up in Fat Gandalf's. =) )

Mario is relieved to hear that Colonel Sharp is not under orders from General Steele to have them move out at a specific time. No matter how messed up the team might be from the encounter with the Enemy, they would have to fly out if the order was given. But now, they would have a chance to recover from the psychic backlash that they all suffered from.

Then there is the very strange inspection from the Corporal as he examines the rear ends of the various members of the squadron. While Mario is not a homophobe in any sense of the word, it is still somewhat awkward to be examined by another guy like that. The only two saving points is that Cpl. Booty is giving each person equal time and is not making any physical contact; just looking closely. Finally, the inspection is over, and Cpl. Booty has his official report to give, and apparently, things are looking good. Mario makes sure that he is not in any physical contact with the other Traversers before allowing himself to think, I could have saved the corporal some time; I can't help but admire the way Lt. Mackenzie looks in her lack of a uniform.

Next order of business comes up when he learns that he's to play passenger to Toph. He looks over at her and makes quick eye contact, then gives her a confident nod. "No worries on my part, Sirs. I'm sure that Lt. Kirin can fly me there well enough to get the job done."

Hitomi made her way over to Toph. "Easy there, Toph" she grinned but she wore the eyes of a doctor now. Hitomi performed her routine on the half-Zentraedi. She gave Toph a satisfied nod. "Bruised skin but no worse. A couple of days and those yellow marks it left on you with its paw should be gone. Good thing it was trying to immobilize you instead of crush you; that beast was made of super-structure!"
Toph is relieved to get a clean bill of health from the other woman. "Thanks for the check-up, HItomi. I am glad that there was no real damage done. It would suck to have my official start to a new squad to end up being benched on our first mission due to injury, or worse, being carried out in a body bag."

As he passed each of you, he stared into each of your faces. Your eyes. He examined them in a quiet, stern fashion. Then, with the same look, he stared at each of your rear ends. The only exceptions of the combat-ready were Hercules, whom he had seen before, and Col. Sharp.
She blushes a deep pink when Booty makes his examination of her rear end, but doesn't do anything to discourage the large man's attentions.

Next order of business comes up when he learns that he's to play passenger to Toph. He looks over at her and makes quick eye contact, then gives her a confident nod. "No worries on my part, Sirs. I'm sure that Lt. Kirin can fly me there well enough to get the job done."
When Shirley makes the decision to have Mario ride second seat with her, she meets the tanker's gaze and returns his nod. "Don't worry, corporal. I'll get us there in one piece, and then it will be up to you and Herc to get those tanks out of there before the Red Zens take them apart." Toph muses, "Well, the good news is, if my performance with the pod with the Enemy is any indication, we shouldn't have any trouble getting into the base. The Traversing power is a real wild card that our foes just never anticipated." She suddenly grins. "Hey! That sounds like a good squadron name; The Wild Cards! What do you guys think?"

Changed for correct name

Last edited:
Mario looks over at Toph and slowly nods. "Wild Cards, huh? I can deal with that. Any other suggestions? In the meantime, Cpl. Booty, is there a HLW-6 with the wearable pack in the weapons locker? I want to be able to deal out some hurt even if I'm not in my rig. And a IPP-5H Heavy Ion Pulse Pistol as a sidearm."

The inspection of her backside was somehow not awkward, Elinor thought. It felt more like Sunday mornings back home, when Gramma Emmie inspected everyone to make sure they were dressed appropriately and all hair was in its assigned place. Though Gramma Emmie never focused quite that intently on her grandchildren's behinds... Elinor was surprised by how relieved she was to "pass muster." She'd never been particularly image-conscious; just being healthy and tidy had always been enough before. Then again, it wasn't like Booty was checking her out like a normal guy. He was inspecting for... combat readiness? Something like that, it seemed.

She hid a grin at Booty's about-face reaction to riding in a Valkyrie, then listened to Shirley's assignments. "They'll both fill a backseat pretty full, won't they, ma'am?" She chuckled, then added, "I'll take Corporal Booty, if that's all right with you, ma'am." She didn't have anything against the big Greek guy (she really ought to learn his name properly if they were going to be on the same squad), but he'd seemed uncomfortable with her earlier. Maybe it was just the Traversing he had a problem with? She shrugged. Either way, she thought he might be more comfortable with Shirley.

"Wild Cards, huh?" She thought about that. "Sounds all right to me."

Toph smiles as her suggested squadron name might just be selected. "Well, that gives the Wild Cards three 'yes' votes, but I think it should be unanimous. Hercules? Shirley? Booty? What do you guys think? Yea or nay?" She stops, then looks over at the colonel. "Speaking of Booty, will he be joining us in a hover tank in the future? That would give us three fliers and three hover tanks if he does."

"'The Wild Cards'?", Hercules chuckled as he looked around at the assembled Traversers and their comrades, "Seems appropriate. The General wants a force that are unpredictable by an enemy as regimented as the Zentraedi. A force of unknowns with unknown potential. I like it."
He turned to his fellow tankers and said, "I'll be wanting the HPW-6 I saw upstairs, along with something a little lighter as a back up. Perhaps a LAR-12?"
This was feeling more comfortable. Picking a loadout to suit himself was slightly beyond his usual pay scale, but he'd often made 'suggestions' to his unit leader as to his optimum carrying capacity and the weapons he could lug around because of his greater than average strength.

Elinor grinned at the others as she followed them up to the armory cage. "Boys and their toys. Not that I'm objectin', especially if it turns out we need the heavy stuff." She glanced over the supplies, inspecting her own package and smiling. "Looks like a good list to me. Only thing I'd like to add is, if I can get an LP-3 for lighter work, an' a LAR-10C for heavier?" The comparison between her "heavy" and Hercules' "light" weapon choices amused her, and she winked at him.

"Well, that gives the Wild Cards three 'yes' votes, but I think it should be unanimous. Hercules? Shirley? Booty? What do you guys think? Yea or nay?"

Shirley returned from what served as a dressing room here in the armory. She wore her T.A.S.C. battle fatigues, providing the Californian a more military image. "'Wild Cards?' That's pretty good! I guess technopathy can be our Ace-In-The-Hole?" She chuckled and turned to Col. Sharp. "Sir, is any other outfit using that name?"

"No ma'am," the historian replied. "The only bunch to go by that name fly helicopters. It's clear for a mecha squadron. Better take it up before someone else gets the wise idea to use it."

Cpl. Booty thought a moment as he handed Mario his weapons. To all of you, he said, "Be treatin' dese babies good, you hear?"

To Toph, he replied without excitement, "Booty no care one way or de otha 'bout de name - he is expectin' to come right back to Big Bunker after dis mission, see? Nice dat you think of Booty, tho'." He glanced to Reggie who was examining the gear with some real interest. "Den again.. whereva is safest for Reggie is best for Booty too."

She stops, then looks over at the colonel. "Speaking of Booty, will he be joining us in a hover tank in the future? That would give us three fliers and three hover tanks if he does."

Col. Sharp replied, "Honestly, lieutenant, I would be surprised if General Steel allowed him back inside a VHT after their past together. The General has him in charge of Big Bunker to keep an eye on him as much as to make use of his considerable skills." Booty overhearing this rubbed his black beard and nodded.

He turned to his fellow tankers and said, "I'll be wanting the HPW-6 I saw upstairs, along with something a little lighter as a back up. Perhaps a LAR-12?"

"HPW-6 an' LAR-12, Booty got!" Hercules was given both weapons, two bandoliers with 10 E-clips for the HPW-6 and 4 E-clips with belt magazine pouches for the LAR-12.

She glanced over the supplies, inspecting her own package and smiling. "Looks like a good list to me. Only thing I'd like to add is, if I can get an LP-3 for lighter work, an' a LAR-10C for heavier?"

"De Jump Packs be me colonel's idea. Him thinkin' dey be useful in Zentraedi base." Booty checked a datapad and shook his head at Elinor. "Ain't no carbines left. Slayers took dem all. You wantin' LAR-10 or 12? Each got bigga punch!" The Pancration-studying Jamaican put his meaty fist into his palm as if to make a point. He handed Elinor one LP-3 laser pistol with four E-clips and pouches to match.

Professor Stein, finally having regained his wits, asked Cpl. Booty. "You don't think Steel will let you roam outside where your mouth can get you in trouble with him again?"

Booty's reply was somber. "No, Mista Professa. Booty convinced; Steel only care 'bout Steel."

Unable to argue the point, Prof. Stein shook his head, causing his white hair and beard to wave about storm-like. "Well, at least you won't have to worry about Reggie's safety while you're gone. He'll be with us. If he wants, that is? Besides, I have a promise to fulfill to the young man."

Hearing this, Reggie turned to The Professor. "Oh yeah! Let's get to it!" The two of them began to make their way to what appeared to be Reggie's little side of the shop. Here, the young man began to introduce the older to many of his own tools of the trade.

"Hitomi?" Prof. Stein asked. "Would you provide the... ah... Wild Cards with what they need?"

"My pleasure, sensei."

Prof. Stein and Reggie paused together and watched. Besides, the two found watching Hitomi to be quite easy to do. Brushing back her long black hair, Hitomi smiled at the thought of Reggie wheeling around in something he preferred. She crept quietly towards a certain napping cat. She swept up the little metal feline up into her arms. He awoke and looked around with wide eyes.

"All right, Wild Cards. Listen up!" Hitomi grinned. "This here is our curious little friend, MechaKitten. He has an uncanny knack for finding things that need finding. For example," she glanced at Hercules, "just last night, he helped us recover Reggie from inside a hidden Anti-Unification League outpost. MechaKitten tracked him down - using only his nose."

"The two Veritech Hover Tanks you're looking for likely have a much different scent than anything Zentraedi, but, much more than that, the little fellow seems mysteriously confident that he can help you find them both. He has other abilities besides his nose and instincts to assist you." She peered at MechaKitten with openly suspicious eyes. He seemed to communicate something to her, not only in his cat-proud look, but by some other means not so easily detected.

"So... both The Colonel and The Professor have reached the conclusion that he gets to go with you. That is, if the little devil can behave himself and follow orders this time!" In response, MechaKitten began licking Hitomi's fingers. "Stop that. It tickles. Lt. Mackenzie?"

"I'll take the cute little guy. I've got Herc anyway and it appears they're pretty comfortable with each other, right? Hercules? Think you can keep him under control while we're in the air?"

Overhearing this, MechaKitten mewed needily and looked back and forth between Shirley and Hercules as if to say, "Pick me up!"

"Not yet, little buddy. I've got to get my guns." Shirley made her way back to Booty's cage. Once there, she slung a LAR-10 laser assault rifle over her shoulder, pouched four E-clips away, and settled two bandoliers filled with grenades. Then she leaned back against the cage while she and Booty listened to Hitomi.

Hitomi pet the wily kitten as she continued. "And finally, since neither myself nor The Professor are coming along, I hope for humanity's sake that you guys bring back any intel you find, no matter how unusual or alien. Eternity's pretty good at deciphering things like that. You're also going in to where even The General's Special Forces team could not go, maybe to where no humans besides Bravo Team have ever been. However, you've got an edge in technopathy. Just be careful - without The Professor or myself with you, my guess is you'll be facing a lot of unknowns without outside guidance."

Col. Sharp raised his hand. Hitomi gave him the floor.

Col. Sharp put his hands behind his back and eyed each of you squarely. "Troops, sound off when you're ready to move out. Your aircraft are loaded and waiting topside. If you have any last questions, now's the time."

Toph smiles as she gets the thumbs-up from everyone with regards to the suggested team name. She looks about at her fellow Wild Cards, then back to the Colonel. "Sir, I believe that I am pretty well set. I just need to suit up in my mega armor suit and get to my bird for my pre-flight checks. I also need to know what ordnance is loaded on my wings, but I'll find out what I'm carrying when I do my inspection."

She then looks at Mario, and her tone changes slightly, to one of stern authority that she only uses when talking to a difficult patient. "Corporal, I understand that you know Veritech mecha from your time in the tanks, but when you get into my bird, you are only a passenger, got it? You touch nothing unless I tell you to, except perhaps the radio. That shouldn't be too different from what you are used to. Break my rule, and I break your legs. Get me?"

Looking to the Colonel, Mario asks, "Is there any info from Bravo Team on what condition their tanks were in when they were captured? I'd hate to go the effort to retake what is ours only to have them go up in smoke like my first ride did." With my luck, they will be blasted halfway to hell and back with empty capacitors and no shells for the main guns.

"Corporal, I understand that you know Veritech mecha from your time in the tanks, but when you get into my bird, you are only a passenger, got it? You touch nothing unless I tell you to, except perhaps the radio. That shouldn't be too different from what you are used to. Break my rule, and I break your legs. Get me?"
Mario recognizes the Voice of Command and immediately snaps to the position of attention. "Yes, ma'am! I get you completely!" No need to tell me twice!

Hercules accepted the weapons and gear with the care and reverence he might show carrying a child of his own. He gently placed the weapons down on the table, then went to pull on a suit of the heaviest armor in his size he could find. As he returned he caught Elinor's words and wink and his cheeks burned red hot.
"Uhhm... 'A warrior cares for his weapons as he cares for his life, for the one is inextricably linked with the other', is what my Marine DS told me, ma'am.", he replied, jiggling and wiggling inside the armored breastplate to settle it comfortably on his mighty frame.
He started to buckle on the bandoliers and belt pouches, as he continued, "Your armor is pretty light, ma'am. I suggest you make use of cover while Corporal Zuko and I lay down suppressive fire."
Hearing his name, he looked up to see Lt. Mac referring to the tiny mechanized kitten held in Miss Hitomi's hands.
"Of course, uhhm, ma'am. Mechakitten and I will be no trouble, I assure you.", he said, snapping of a salute.

"De Jump Packs be me colonel's idea. Him thinkin' dey be useful in Zentraedi base." Booty checked a datapad and shook his head at Elinor. "Ain't no carbines left. Slayers took dem all. You wantin' LAR-10 or 12? Each got bigga punch!" The Pancration-studying Jamaican put his meaty fist into his palm as if to make a point. He handed Elinor one LP-3 laser pistol with four E-clips and pouches to match.
Elinor shrugged and glanced at Hercules again. "The -12, then. And thanks." She accepted the gear and then moved off to one side of the room to get her own armor on.

"Uhhm... 'A warrior cares for his weapons as he cares for his life, for the one is inextricably linked with the other', is what my Marine DS told me, ma'am.", he replied, jiggling and wiggling inside the armored breastplate to settle it comfortably on his mighty frame.
He started to buckle on the bandoliers and belt pouches, as he continued, "Your armor is pretty light, ma'am. I suggest you make use of cover while Corporal Zuko and I lay down suppressive fire."
Elinor was a little surprised by the blush, but let it drop. "Your DS sounds like a smart one, Corporal," she replied. "And that sounds like a good plan to me. Like Toph said, don't y'all tell me how to fly," her gaze included the tankers on the squad, not Colonel Sharp and the civilians, "but I haven't done any ground combat yet, so I'll be thankin' you for telling me what to do on the ground, if need be."

"Is there any info from Bravo Team on what condition their tanks were in when they were captured?

Col. Sharp merely repeated the information he provided the team earlier.

"Bravo Squad said their VHTs were mostly only banged up on the arm shields and were otherwise battle-worthy when they were forced to surrender. That means you can use them."

*​

"Of course, uhhm, ma'am. Mechakitten and I will be no trouble, I assure you.", he said, snapping of a salute.

Shirley returned his salute with a big smile. She handed Herc the wily MechaKitten who reached toward him with eager paws that wiggled for attention. "One adorable ball of mega-damage metal delivered!"

"Mew!" piped the little one.

Then, immediately upon making "skin" to skin contact with the huge Greek, the kitten sent a message with child-like ease into Herc's brain. Once again, Hercules received the strange metallic cat's hope-filled question as clear as if it were his own thoughts.

fish-friend! we enters Maelstrom soon?

"The -12, then. And thanks."

From behind the armorer's cage, Max Booty made an adjustment on his datapad. Then he respectfully lifted a beautiful LAR-12 rifle from its perch and handed it to Elinor along with its strap, 4 E-clips and pouches. He had no words at the moment. They were not necessary.

*​

"Sir, I believe that I am pretty well set. I just need to suit up in my mega armor suit and get to my bird for my pre-flight checks. I also need to know what ordnance is loaded on my wings, but I'll find out what I'm carrying when I do my inspection."

Col. Sharp nodded. "If I know ol' 'Murph the Smurf,' he probably already has your load-outs prepped and ready. He may be under TacCorp, but that sergeant takes care of Eglin's VHT and AJAX units like nobody's business."

Professor Stein remarked. "A T.C. working on T.A.S.C. and A.T.A.C. equipment?"

"Oh, he does double duty. When Murph's not building homes and repairing bridges, he's in our mech bays getting it done right. He and Cpl. Booty have a good relationship. Which reminds me," he turned to Cpl. Booty who was coming out from the cage, "it'll be good to see you inside a mech again, even if it's a Valkyrie and not a A.T.A.C. hover tank."

Booty responded gruffly. "Me colonel, Zentraedi ain't gettin' nuttin'! ASC VHTs belong with ASC!"

Professor Stein mused. "I still fail to understand why Zentraedi would want the Veritech Hover Tanks..." He looked to Hitomi. She had no answer. He pointed at MechaKitten. "And you. As usual, you know something you're not telling us. You had better do what the Wild Cards ask of you - you are Eternity's only representative in this mission, you know!"

Hearing this, MechaKitten squinted his eyes in happiness. "Meeeew!" Metal or no, feline or no, the creature appeared to understand every word.

Then Professor Stein approached Toph and put his big hand on her shoulder in a fatherly fashion. "Whatever happens, young lady, you just get back here in one piece, all right? Safe and sound."

Hitomi added. "That goes for you and Elinor. Who am I going to martially train with otherwise?"

Shirley raised her hand. "Uh, I know a few fighting tricks!"

Hitomi considered Shirley's background and what she knew of Shirley's foster father. "I bet you do..."

*​

Col. Sharp said, "All right, troops. Lt. Mackenzie? Is your team ready? This is the last chance for questions or gear."

"Mack" looked at everyone save Toph who had given her own green light. Her look seemed to ask you the colonel's own question.

Hercules accepted the tiny, but deadly, bundle of cuteness and settled him on one broad shoulder, alongside one of the big guns he'd strapped to his armor. Between guns and ammo bandoliers, there'd be plenty of places Mechakitten could settle himself without getting dislodged. Once done, the tall Greek man raised a hand in salute.
"Ready, willing and able, Colonel. Let me at 'em and I'll bring your armor home, safe and sound."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back