• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Three: Vardadraug and the Cosmic Ore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf woke slowly, severing the bonds between himself and the cradle of sleep one by one. The bed lived up to expectations - it was like a very, very comfortable nest. After stretching in a most animalistic manner, the ranger gets up and reclaims his gear. By then he had already sensed the smell of food and had heard footsteps outside in the hallway. Hungry like a wolf, he thinks and then pauses as the thought brings back the recent memory of his dreams. Why would I be dreaming about wolf cubs? For now the answer escapes him.

Arriving at the dining room he spotted Luna first; and who could blame him? She stood apart like a pillar of living fire, jealously stealing attention. The others fell in order; Otiorin who looked as relaxed and careless as ever, the hyperactive hobbits, watchful Stewart who didn't look like he had gotten enough sleep - as he continues to scan for Bria and Kitrin, he suddenly notices Powerpaw on the sidelines, helping himself to vast amounts of nourishment. 'Tis a colorful scene to be sure.

He takes a seat opposite Luna's and tries his best to focus on the food and not stare too much at the young sorceress. Just in case, though, he had prepared a few responses in advance so as not to turn out like a complete idiot. Like yesterday. For now, he eats and listens to the conversations of others; primarily what Luna was saying to the Meadowsweets.

Dannigan said:
On the prison wagon, bleary-eyed Bria...

...is quiet for awhile, no longer talking or singing to keep herself awake. The weight of the day's events are full upon her shoulders though her soul is light, and despite her need of rest, her hands remain on the reins. Bria waves weakly as Kitrin joins her, and then, Bria slowly turns to her with an expression of curiosity. Out of the blue, she asks, "Why do Outsiders wait so long before their First time of love-making?"
Kitrin is content to ride in Bria's silence, but when the Ko monk startles her with a(n apparently) random question, she gives it a moment of thought. "Dunno. I didn't. I mean, I dunno what you mean by 'so long' but I wasn't out of my tweens yet, even. Cultural baggage maybe?" It sounds almost a rhetorical question, and if Bria doesn't continue the conversation, Kitrin won't either (but what she said basically sums up her opinion on the subject).

Dannigan said:
When you eventually rise, the sun, you hear from Stewart, is high overhead outside. The polite knocking of hobbits has pulled you out of bed, each at your own speeds and moods, and should that fail to work, the door to your rooms are left open for you to smell the delicious, tempting smell of fresh bacon, eggs, ham, pancakes, and melted chocolate, among other culinary delights. Each of your noses tell you the hobbits are awake and have been at work here.
You find yourself (unless you really wish to miss out on this) at a grand dining table with a chair for every person save Powerpaw who is happily chomping away at a quintet of plates set on a breakfast stand on the floor. "Om nom nom nom! Moar?"

The dining room looks very much like this:

hosl04_cher.jpg

(Image from mysticmedusa.com)

Such is the munching going on, that no one has yet started a conversation. Who would like to be first? =)

Kitrin, once she makes it to bed, crashes and crashes hard. No amount of knocking on her door wakes her from her childlike slumber. The smell of yummy noms, however, has never failed to rouse an unensorcelled hobbit - nor does it fail now. Dressed only in shirt and pants, barefoot, she stumbles her way into the dining room, finds an empty chair, and proceeds to serve herself portions that barely fit the plate. Second helpings soon follow. It's a wonder what a hungry hobbit can put away! The conversation passes over her head for the most part, as it's quite obvious where her attention is at present.

All through the dining room there are the sounds of the Wanderers enjoying their hobbit-made, homemade breakfast, without so much as a trail ration in sight! As Luna speaks, the Meadowsweets stop what they are doing, look to her, and listen intently. Once Luna finishes, the marrieds immediately look to each other, their expressions silently communicating volumes in seconds. A moment later, they grin and shake their heads while Whittle reaches up to the human-sized table and serves up a steaming, fine-smelling plate of blueberry pancakes straight off of the stove and in front of Kitrin. "Another plate for you, love?"

"We're for Highwind, love. That's where you'll find our wonderful village, HobbitCrest. She's right up near the top of the mountain, you know. Got the best view in all the world, day or night!" Whittle sniffs. "We long for our hole, the softness of our evening robes and the smell of our lit pipes, and especially the laughter of our seven little stars. Really, is there any other place for the likes of us?"

Bonny steps up on a chair with a pitcher of orange juice and fills a cup or three. He shakes his fist. "Aye, Highwind is where we were bound when that foul Bilal caught us, and that's right where we're going! I tell you now, no dragon, no falling star, smelly gnolls, or other queer things are going to stop us now. Oh, my dear stars..." Then an odd thought passes his mind and he carefully puts the pitcher down on the table as he looks to Luna. "By Yondalla's spoon, you are still bound for Highwind, are you not? You are not going off northeast to the Dwarven mountains of Morgandir or some such, are you? Our fates, I suddenly realize, are quite firmly in your hands!"

Whittle, upon hearing this on her way back to the kitchen, a stack of dirty plates in hand, freezes in her tracks. Her grass-green eyes become as round. She turns to Bonny and then to Luna, and then to all of you with some worry in her expression.

Meanwhile Stewart sits in his chair dining with the manners of a practiced gentleman, and looking every bit the part in an embroidered white shirt over which a red silk vest gleams. Wolf has the master of servants pegged correctly in that the old fellow did not fetch as much sleep as he needed, but here he is, not complaining. He sets aside a small plate of fresh honey ham cut into small slices and takes a deep breath. He addresses all of you starting with Bonny and Whittle, though his focus ends upon your party spokesperson, Luna.

"I came to that conclusion late last night myself, my dear Mister Meadowsweet. Put simply, I am enchanted with the idea of traveling with the Wanderers... but until I make my delivery to my beloved, I am as terrified as I am charmed. I fear for my lady's spirit. However, I do not imagine that Beatrice would wish to stay in Averlund if she had the chance to see, er, experience the world first-hand in a wagon like this among such fantastic and interesting company. Averlund, with her sweet valley and nests of great hippogriffs, is not too far a trek from Highwind. If, by chance, you are headed to that fabled city, then I am with you," he pauses and adds, "At least to there and perhaps beyond."

Then the old fellow dabs his lips with a napkin and rises from his seat. Without hurry, he makes his way to the luxurious kitchen that adjoins the dining room. He continues to speak his thoughts as he makes his way around a corner and out of sight. "However, I do believe I offered to share with you some of the wonders of this wagon, wherein there will be many a thing worthy of your time. Luna, while I am saddened to tell you that Bilal was neither a spellcaster nor a scholar and did not, to my knowledge, keep magical books in either regard, he did pride himself on making his menagerie. And this little fellow..." Stewart emerges from the kitchen with a furry little someone cradled in his arms, "...helped make it happen."

[media]
[/media]
Note: The only difference between this cutie and the one in Stewart's arms is the color of the fur, which I will get into in my next post.

Stewart brings his friend over to the table and sits down. There, he pulls the ham-filled plate over with his free hand and with a wide smile, he takes a slice and brings it close to that small muzzle. With a sniff and a snap of those little jaws, the slice of ham disappears. Much tail-wagging ensues.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Awwww! How cute!" Luna looks down at the little pup with undisguised love in her eyes. "Oh, so adorable! What's his name? Does he bite? Can I pet him?" After getting the ok from Stewart, she gently reaches out to let the little guy sniff at her fingers. While Luna is making friends, she looks up at the Meadowsweets. "Don't worry; we can help you get to your home safely. I dare say that unless I am careful, by the time we reach HobbitCrest I will have gained enough weight that I won't fit in my clothes! Seriously, we were heading in that direction before getting hijacked by Bilal, and I see no reason why we cannot help out some new friends with safe passage through the wilderness. Stewart, you and your lady friend will be welcome to stay with us once your own quest is complete." She turns her attention back to the little ball of fur in Stewart's arms with a wide smile. "If I'm not careful, I'll make Sparkle jealous. I wouldn't want that to happen. But he's such a little fuzzy angel, aren't you? Oh, yes, you are! Yes you are!"

Finally getting control of herself, Luna looks over at the other guests at the table. "What of your plans, Bronze? Are you traveling to a specific destination, or just going where your feet take you?" As she talks, she casually makes her way around the table until she is sitting next to Wolf, their hands not quite touching his as she steals a glance or two at her fellow Wanderer.

Wolf's eyes widen at the unexpected sight brought on by Stewart. For a long moment or two, everything else melts away. He stares in amazement and would have undoubtedly had something to say if Luna didn't just get up, circle the table and sit next to him.

Probably the only possible thing she could have done that he did not anticipate. And so casually, with ease, deliberately... She might as well have been a pillar of literal fire, because Wolf felt the temperature rising.

Oh no. Why would she...?

Unprepared, he manages to utter one word only: "Luna." Which is probably for the best.

Despite Wolf's distraction, the ranger notices that the fur colors and pattern on the wolf pup in Stewart's care appear identical to the adult wolf statuette protected by the mimcs in the bar and winery.

Bonny and Whittle sigh in great relief at Luna's words. Bonny steps up to Luna nods with a grin. "Whew! If you're going all the way to Highwind, then our problems are solved! And don't you worry a bit - you'll have plenty of first and second breakfasts, snacks and treats, a brunch and a lunch, and a great sup' at the end of every day if you like! We Meadowsweets come from farmers and tavern-keepers, you know. Just wait until you see what we can do!"

The little wolf pup sniffs Luna's finger gingerly. Then he licks it a few times, his tongue ticklish to the touch. Stewart grins, clearly pleased at their interaction. He replies to Luna calmly. "If Beatrice wishes to join us, then by all means, I will be with her. Now that Bilal is gone, I don't know what we will do..."

Luna says,

"If I'm not careful, I'll make Sparkle jealous."
Sparkle, hearing his ceases chewing on a blueberry. "I don't get jealous - I get even." Then she adds a devious little chuckle that only a reptile could create. Luna knows quite well that Sparkle is definitely teasing, long having become comfortable with herself, and long afterward, her relationship with Luna soon after having met her.
Bria sits at the table, daintily picking at pancakes, clearly savoring every bite. It is her luck to have her mouth full when Stewart produces the wolf pup. "Mrphlgrglmrph!" She points at the pup and bounces in her chair with a surprised smile on her face. She chews excitedly and washes it down with a few gulps of milk. Then she mirrors Luna in her curiosity and adoring statements. "By the Light, where were you hiding him, Mister Stewart? Oh, he's sooo cuuute! Powerpaw! Look!"

But the monstrous cat has been looking the whole time, with narrowed eyes and all four ears turning and listening. "Dat no ordinary puppy," he grins with fangs showing.

"This," Stewart says as he rubs the wolf pup's soft neck and head, "is Vardadraug. It means 'Exalted Wolf.' He was Bilal's secret weapon, for Bilal would have never found his menagerie without him."

On a whim, Powerpaw withdraws the hunk of prismalcum. Vardadraug turns to Powerpaw the very moment the cosmic ore is revealed. "Arf!" the little one barks ("There!" he says in the language of animals). The wolf pup struggles to leave Stewart's hold and reach the ore, but the old servant saves him the trouble by standing and crossing the room. Powerpaw holds out a battle-scarred paw and the wolf pup hops right into it without hesitation or fear. Then Vardadraug sniffs the ore.

Stewart slowly kneels beside the pup. "What is that?" he asks. "What do you call that?"

Suddenly, the wolf pup breaks out into a long, adorable, high-pitched howl. "Awoooooooooooo!"

Wolf understands. Vardadraug has said, "Dream oooooooooooooore!"

The emptiness in Wolf makes itself known then, for just a moment. Bria suddenly holds her hand over her heart, and Powerpaw quickly looks down at his belly. Every Wanderer present feels that void make itself known for just a moment, and then the feeling fades.

Bria's soft gaze falls upon Wolf. "Mister Wolf? He said something, didn't he?"

Powerpaw looks up to the party and says, "Okies. Dis.... Moar ore... Bronze cleanded my armors last night, an' when I asks him how I kin pay him, he sez, 'I kin haz prismalcum studies?' Well, you knows what I means." Powerpaw holds the pup in one hand and the prismalcum in the other. "What everybody think? Bronze studies dis ore?"

Luna nods, doing her best to maintain her composure as she wracks her brain for information on the Exalted Wolf.

What do I roll? Knowledge: Arcana? I'll tack one on at the end of this post.
"I do believe that having an expert examine this ore would benefit us all, and Mr. Bronze has shown his skill with armor. It is certainly out of my area of skill." She idly scoops up Sparkle and gently holds her on her lap as she offers up a few tasty morsels to the little dragon. Do not worry, dear friend. As cute as the pup is, there is no way he could ever replace you!

When Wolf manages to blurt out her name, Luna looks over at the veteran warrior with a winning smile. "Yes, my friend? Did you have some questions for me?" What I wouldn't give for you to kiss me. Gods! He is sooo yummy. I just hope that I'm not actually saying this out loud!

[dice]2827[/dice]

Dannigan said:
"And this little fellow..." Stewart emerges from the kitchen with a furry little someone cradled in his arms, "...helped make it happen."
[media]
[/media]
Note: The only difference between this cutie and the one in Stewart's arms is the color of the fur, which I will get into in my next post.

Stewart brings his friend over to the table and sits down. There, he pulls the ham-filled plate over with his free hand and with a wide smile, he takes a slice and brings it close to that small muzzle. With a sniff and a snap of those little jaws, the slice of ham disappears. Much tail-wagging ensues.

Well, there is one thing at least that will distract a hungry hobbit. Kitrin happens to catch sight of the adorable little fellow. Fortunately her mouth was empty at that particular time, as she lets out a "Squeeeeee!" and bounces over to Stewart. She only has one hand to hold out to the furry little pup, however - the other being occupied with a sort of sandwich of pancakes and ham.

Now that she's distracted from her single-minded pursuit of food (and has gotten a good quantity of that food inside her), Kitrin follows the conversation and nods when Powerpaw suggests letting their resident local friendly smith inspect this new ore they've got. "Aye, let's have him take a look! He knows more about this stuff than any of us, I bet." Her "sandwich" all eaten, she snags a handful of bacon while staring at the adorable picture of wolf-pup, Powerpaw, and shiny ore. Some of the bacon may or may not get given to the pup, especially if he asks for it.

"Q-questions? Well..." Wolf mutters, trying his best not to smile too awkwardly. As quick to regain his wits as he was to lose them, he temporarily escapes the pressure by using the wolf cub as a more than valid excuse (surely).

"I can back up the extraordinary part." he says to Stewart. "Last night in the winery, when Luna and I encountered those... chests. There was a wolf figurine bearing much resemblance to this here pup sitting on top of one. When they awoke, the thing ate it. I had completely forgotten about it until now." The ranger rises from his chair and walks over to stand next to the wolf cub. Then he adds, as if just remembering: "Oh, and... I do believe I dreamed about you." he says to the wolf, leaning towards him. He felt an odd kind of attraction in doing so. Then he looks back at Stewart. "Uncanny. What do you mean, he was a secret weapon?"

Awakening in his simple room of lots and lots of, shall we say, appropriated fluffy pillows, and the occasional pretty shiny thing, Bronze wakes up, tew the smell of yummy stuff. Waving at the hobbits in thanks, Bronze digs in, in preparation to the day. "Hum, yes that material is very odd, I haven't seen anything like it. I think, everyone should be involved in it's study. It is odd in that it seems to speak to all of us in some way." Considering is somewhat odd upbringing, Bronze considers the obvious. "Need to eat moar" Takes another plate, and seems deep in thought, then notices the wolf cub. "THE CUTENESSSSSSssss!!!!" Carefully takes a slice of ham and slowly hands the meat to the wolf pup. Notices the reaction everyone has had to his skill, and the wolf pup's reaction to PowerPaw, and the Ore, takes note, noting the noted reaction to the notice of the Pup to Powerpaw, and 'Paw's noted reaction that needs to be noted, of the wolf cub. "I think the first step" (munch eat chew) "Would be to throw the stuff" (Drink Swallow eat munch) "Into a fire" (Eat moar, drink) "And see what happens. If I can get it to forge temp we can test it in other ways, like mashing it with a hammer..." Bronze looks to see what everyone's reaction is to that suggestion.

After Pondering a moment, "Also since this is to be our mobile home, shouldn't we consider personalizing our quarters in our own way? I also think that while roaming around with a prison wagon might be neat in some places, I think we might want to turn it into something more, friendly?" Always thinking ahead, when he can, Bronze considers storage of Water, Food, Equipment, Parts, Materials, and goodies a good ideeeer. Oh and Fluffy Pillows, Warm Blankies, and other fine things.

Dear Familiar, Sparkle sends to Luna's mind, perhaps you wish to save such feelings for when the two of you are alone? You seem to be attracting at least one person's attention. Luna gets the feeling she is being watched. From across the dining table, she sees Bria quickly turn back toward Vardadraug. You think she is trying very hard not to respond in some positive fashion - probably clapping and cheering.

Sparkle sends another message. Oh, I was not jealous. O.K. Perhaps just a little. Most of us psuedo dragons are like that. I think I will have another morsel now.... Omnomnomnom...

Pecker marches around the table, grabbing a slice of pancake here, a drink of juice there. Then he moves toward the edge of the table closest to Powerpaw, Vardadraug, and the prismalcum. The falcon tilts his head curiously at the pup and then he suddenly lets out a squawk of surprise along with a few flaps of his broad wings. From that point on, curious Pecker is following little Vardadraug's every move.

"Good boy!" Stewart pets Vardadraug who does not seem to mind, so intent is he on sniffing the ore. "He always knows something valuable or rare when he sees it. As for being a secret weapon, I am referring to Bilal and the rest of the band of insufferable merchants he competed with so very jealously. Every one of the would be 'big-time' merchants had their own plan, plot, or vile scheme to get them ahead of the others, but Bilal beat them all to it." Stewart returns to the table and sets Vardadraug upon the table who begins lapping from a bowl of water.

"And he did it by finding the Vardadraug statuette - the very piece you saw Barfy swallow and keep safe. What you are looking at is an incarnation of an ancient wolf from another realm, and he knows this one quite well, it seems. His ability to find what Bilal wanted was uncanny. The hydra, the sisters, the frost giant, and even you, Powerpaw - Vardadraug led Bilal to each, and in doing so, secured his menagerie and thus, his fortune. Of course, most of it went up with the business wagon." Stewart does not seem to mind being alive in exchange for said fortune. "But yes, Vardadraug was a secret little weapon the other merchants knew nothing about."

Vardadraug sees the offered piece of meat. He stops and turns to Stewart. Stewart regards Bronze and nods. Vardadraug pads over and begins to nibble the meat with his little pink tongue and tiny teeth. "Awrrr..."

"'Dream ore,'" Stewart takes a pull from his glass of juice. "That is what Vardy calls it. I do wish I knew why."

Powerpaw stands up, steps over to Bronze, and lays the chunk of prismalcum beside Bronze's plate. Vardadraug leaves the meat alone and continues inspecting the ore. "Hrrrr... Kitties an' doggies fight a lot by nature," Powerpaw clicks his sharp claws, "but you iz just too cute ta fight, ya fuzzy face of Moar. You mean ta tells me dis wolfie is a statue? Dat don't make sense. Wha's an incarnation? Iz dere some way he kin helps us in our adventures?"

Luna can feel her cheeks color at the comment from Sparkle, and the knowledge that she is being watched by Bria. Who else is reading her thoughts so easily? Is Wolf? Would that be a good thing, or a bad thing? She tries to cover her embarrassment by focusing on the ore. "Bronze did suggest we place this ore in the fire to see how it responds. I would suggest, though, that it be done some distance away from the Grand Wagon or anything else that could be damaged by an explosion if it happens to make one. Bronze, if you would like, I have spells that can protect a person from harm, such as my Shield and Energy Absorption that I can prepare as a safeguard for you as you start to work the ore into something more useful, such as ingots, until it is decided what will be done with it. Just let me know in advance so I have time to memorize them."

Sparkle silently and sincerely cheers at Luna's response. You are so good at focusing when you put your mind to it! Then she reaches for a bowl with a piece of pancake in claw. My, this chocolate is divine...

"Most interesting." Wolf remarks. "Most interesting indeed." Then approaches Vardadraug and says: "Sounds like you are somewhat priceless."

He looks deep into the pup's eyes, drawn there by some inner desire. You're a proper piece of the wilds, aren't you? I wonder...

"Thanks PowerPaw, Luna, looks like we have a plan. But, how far is safe? 10 feet, 100 feet, 1 mile?" Eats moar fud, "Hum, Hobbit-fluffies, I think I should give you my pack's food stores, or is that needed?" Goes into Contemplated Fluffy Pillow mode... Translation: Stares at the glittery metal, and THINKS at it.

(THINK THINK THINK THINK) "100 yards would be safe I think, shall we setup?"

Luna nods. "Sounds like a good plan to me. Lets finish this fine meal, and then we can proceed with the experiment. Once that is done, I wish to make tracks to our destination for Stewart's quest and to return the Meadowsweets to their home as soon as we can. No sense in dawdling, is there?" She offers Sparkle another piece of bacon with a smile as the tiny dragon gently takes the morsel from her fingers.

Powerpaw purrs deep within his chest as he replies to Bronze and prepares to take a pull from a beer keg nearly filled with milk. "How far? Ooof. I not knows. I took a peeks out da door before breakfast. 100 yards puts you either north or south along da road, or somewhere deeper inta da woods dat surround us out here. You wants help settin' up?" He tips the keg back and while gulping, watches Bronze for his reply.

Without taking his eyes off of Wolf and Vardadraug's exchange, Stewart replies to Bronze. "Bilal brought enough food stores for our entire entourage all the way to Highwind and perhaps beyond. That means we have more food than we can likely use, and just enough quality feed for both teams of horses if we make the journey in two weeks time."

Bronze's thinking at the ore does not appear to do anything at all. That is, until Bronze suddenly gets a vision - a small collection of sprouted rainbow-colored blossoms standing together, until Bronze thinks and thinks. A moment later, one very last blossom appears, sprouts, and joins the others. Unlike the others, this one is not completely open, as if in-waiting. When the vision ceases, Bronze's eyes and ears tell him that he appears to be the only one who had such a vision.

Whittle and Bonny both smile at Luna and Whittle says, "Stewart, you told us in the kitchen your Beatrice is all the way up in Averlund? Well, that's just north of Highwind up where the great hippogriffs fly! We would have to skirt around the dear old city to get there, and that's where our seven little stars and Hobbitcrest lie. And our bed and blankets and..." Whittle wrings her hands at the thought of being apart from her children. Bonny reaches over and gently takes her hand into his own. Whittle peers down into her hand and then into the face of her husband. She relaxes as best she can. She tells him, "I just don't know what I would do without you, love."

Leonard Wolf says,

"Most interesting." Wolf remarks. "Most interesting indeed." Then approaches Vardadraug and says: "Sounds like you are somewhat priceless."
He looks deep into the pup's eyes, drawn there by some inner desire. You're a proper piece of the wilds, aren't you? I wonder...
The wolf pup, distracted first by breakfast, then curious Luna fingers, then breakfast again, then by Powerpaw and prismalcum, and yet again as Wolf approaches. But something unusual takes place as Wolf addresses the pup. In an instant, Vardadraug goes from resembling a curious wolf pup to a regal creature, proud and stout in his bearing and stance, quite unlike that of a excitable young pup. Someone far more dignified and experienced regards Wolf.

Vardadraug sits down, his fluffy tail neatly tucked against his right side, and he gazes up at Leonard Wolf. Those cute little puppy eyes hide something deep in them. His head tilts in curiosity. "Arf!" he barks. "Hey!" in the language of animals. But other words form silently and secretly in Wolf's mind if he chooses to allow them in...

Ah! Finally, another protector of the forest. All living things are priceless - I am simply one more. His tail then wags as he continues looking very cute and puppy-like. Are you here for the rite, protector? There is something nearby that could use a swift touch of goodness.

Stewart looks back and forth from Wolf to Vardadraug and then he glances down to a golden ring topped with fine garnets. It is a ring that was not on his finger last night, for it is too beautiful to not notice. He looks on with some confusion, back to Ranger and pup. Stewart places one elbow on the dining table and places his cheek in his hand, watching with a combination of intensity and dumbfoundedness.

Bria looks to Otiorin and smiles, and then Kitrin, and everyone else. Then she looks back to Wolf and Vardadraug. "They're communicating, aren't they? Look at the way their bodies move in little ways." Then, with a swish of her long brown hair, she turns to Stewart. "Mister Stewart? About the Wayfarer, the poor spirit we met when Bilal imprisoned us? Did Vardadraug here meet him?"

"No," Stewart replies sadly. "He never got the chance. Using his own means, Bilal... found the Wayfarer on his own and while his wickedness ended the Wayfarer's journeys, Vardadraug was quite distraught at the time." Stewart sighs. "I think Vardadraug sensed both his presence and his passing. Yet here at this table, I cannot help but wonder what this meeting of Ranger and pup will produce?"

Completely oblivious to his surroundings, the ranger maintains eye contact with the wolf.

"Say I was? What would that entail?"

Otiorin watched all that passed on silence, chewing a heel of bread as he sipped some spiced small beer. This wagon they had taken for their own carried so many mysteries, who know what other holdings Bilal the Belated had and what secrets they held. He started then and swallowed some bread, but it jarred in his throat and set him to coughing and wheezing as it jammed halfway down.

Vardadraug replies, "This," and bolts toward the door at terrific speed. Before you know it, those little furry feet have taken him out of the Adventurers' Wagon and out of your line of sight.

Stewart sighs and grins, saying only, "Better hurry, Wolf! If you fail to keep up with him, you fail whatever he is up to. Bilal had to learn that the hard way..."

The moment this takes place, the bread in Otiorin's throat decides to stage a revolt. In one moment, it appears Otiorin is fine; the next moment, he seems to be in serious trouble. The very moment he experiences real distress, Bria spins and looks right at him. "Relax, Rin! I'm here!" Then another set of feet are set in motion as Bria quickly steps up and, if Otiorin allows, comes up from behind Otiorin and embraces him. Her palm and fist join just below his chest. "I'm going to push into you on one. Three, two, one." In a very well-practiced movement, using skills she is best at and born to use, she attempts to dislodge the bread.

[dice]2905[/dice]

Stars were spinning before Otiorin's eyes as he stumbled to his feet. His vision blurred as he fought to take a breath and for a moment, he wondered if he would suffer an ignominious end. He could see his memorial now: 'Otiorin Taletreader. Rogue Extraordinare, fighter of mythical beasts. Done in by a bit of bread...'

Then he felt arms around him and smelt Bria's scent. Ah, at least he would leave this mortal coil in the arms of a beauty that bards sought out as their muses...

Pain. What the hell?
He felt the surge through his body and then the offending piece of bread shot from his mouth and flew to who knew where. Otiorin's suffering lungs heaved a huge, agonized breath in and color and sound returned to his world. His sides and ribs ached as if he'd been running all morning and lights flashed in his vision. He slumped down, still encircled by Bria's arms, and set his hands on his knees to draw long, deep breaths.

"By all that's *gasp, gasp* holy, Bria, what was that? I thought you said you don't fight?"

At first surprised, the ranger quickly recollects, nods and - sparing an odd glance towards Otiorin - darts after Vardadraug, bent on following him no matter what.

Luna was half out of her seat when Bria bolts over and gives Otiorin a hearty squeeze around the gut, and she watches in surprise as the offending piece of toast goes flying out. Then, as she is marveling at the sight, Vardadraug and Wolf go running outside. Feeling torn between making sure that Otiorin is ok and wanting to see what happens with Wolf, she finally decides to let the ranger perform whatever ritual in private and she walks over to make sure that Otiorin is fine.

It all happens so suddenly...

Bria squeezes Otiorin. Otiorin lets fly. The half-chrewed piece of bread flies from Otiorin's throat! It sails, sails, sails through the air! Past Luna, over Stewart's head, beyond the scattering Meadowsweets! Who is nearest to the bread's point of landing? Powerpaw!

Kitty instincts take him over! From a sitting position, mouth wide open, eyes on the bread, he scrabbles backwards full speed across the floor - a hurricane of furry drive and intensity! Moving as fast as he can, his jaws open as wide as they can!

He dives for it!

[dice]2922[/dice]

(Reflex save: +6)

[media]
[/media]
Bria gawks. "Ewwww!"

Powerpaw stands up, raises his paws, chews, gulps, and cheers, "MOOOOOAAAAR!" He fist-bumps Kitrin first and then anyone nearby. Powerpaw then gives a toothy smile to Otiorin. "Tanks for sharin', Rin! I feel closer to you'se alreadies!"

Stewart covers his eyes with his hand and shakes his head. Then he says, "Did I forget to mention the last thing Vardadraug found on his own was the Frost Giant?" He points toward the door which Pecker is now flying out of.

Powerpaw looks up. Bria looks around and then to Luna. It takes no skill in Monster Lore to know that a full-grown giant can likely destroy your entire party on its own.

Kitrin has gone back to stuffing her hobbit face, though more slowly now as her attention is split between food, adorable wolf pup, and the conversation over her head.

Dannigan said:
Whittle and Bonny both smile at Luna and Whittle says, "Stewart, you told us in the kitchen your Beatrice is all the way up in Averlund? Well, that's just north of Highwind up where the great hippogriffs fly! We would have to skirt around the dear old city to get there, and that's where our seven little stars and Hobbitcrest lie. And our bed and blankets and..." Whittle wrings her hands at the thought of being apart from her children. Bonny reaches over and gently takes her hand into his own. Whittle peers down into her hand and then into the face of her husband. She relaxes as best she can. She tells him, "I just don't know what I would do without you, love."
Kitrin stops eating for a moment to consider the dilemma. Meeting other hobbits has made her rather homesick herself. The Wayfarers were her friends, but she missed her family. Should she offer to escort the Meadowsweets up the mountain to Hobbitcrest? She could always catch up with the party later, if it came to that.

Her musings are interrupted by the sudden departure of Vardadraug with Wolf in hot pursuit, and of course by poor Otiorin's choking! She lets out a high-pitched cheer when Bria saves the day, followed by another cheer as Powerpaw noms the toast in midair! Gleefully she returns the big kitty's fist-bump.

Dannigan said:
Stewart covers his eyes with his hand and shakes his head. Then he says, "Did I forget to mention the last thing Vardadraug found on his own was the Frost Giant?" He points toward the door which Pecker is now flying out of.
"Whoops!" Kitrin dashes into her room, grabs her flail and shield (armor would take too long), runs into the hallway, runs back into her room, stuffs her feet into her boots and knots the laces, grabs flail and shield again, and runs full-speed down the hallway, out the door, and after Wolf and Vardadraug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back