• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Three: All In

Hearing Muppet say this, Shirley straightened in her pilot chair, but the straps holding her in kept her from moving too far. "Crap," she whispered. Half her crew suddenly outside of communication? Shirley felt this was all she needed. She closed her eyes and tried to 'sense' them but came up with nothing. "Let me try," she said as much to herself as to Muppet.

"Bruce Leanne? Mario? Cera? Can you hear me?" But she was met with only quiet.

"Sonofagun... Any ideas of what's going on, Muppet?"

Toph scanned her ship's sensors, but there came no sign of approaching creatures, hostile or friendly. Not on radar (which was next to useless seeing as they were in a hallway and not out in open air), her microphones (which picked up no tromping of boots belonging to 40-foot tall destroyers or the like), and her optical sensors only told stories of crackling flame, burning debris, twisted metal, and the pieces of ship and Zentraedi corpses from the bay behind her and the blasted corridor they now inhabited.

However, an unmistakable feeling crept up and into Toph's psyche. The half-human knew it was only a matter of time before this all changed and probably not for the better.

* * *​

(Game Master note: Time to get a little deep. Enjoy the ride, friends! =) )

"Flying in a Blue Dream" by Joe Satriani. =)

"Make sure we all stay together. Lets keep a steady pace and not force this. Work as one."

"Together's best, whatever the speed," Elinor agreed.

The Traversers traveled. And in the travel, they learned.

Deep within the power of technopathy, the Wild Cards and Ura-Meltrandi moved swiftly across a great black plane of unknowable depth and incalculatable distance, held on only by each other's hands. In such a strange and otherworldly realm, their nearness was the only thing that felt remotely familiar. Their touch seemed to make their senses sharper. When Mario was alone, he was virtually in the dark, reaching out to nowhere. Now, they could see each other, or something that at least looked like each other. But they possessed nothing; it was as if they had left all of their earthly gear back on their persons.

Here, each of you wore nothing, and yet, there was no shame in it, for you could not tell details; Mario, Elinor, and Cera could see each other's faces, hair, and limbs, but their forms were luminescent things like glowing bodies made of star-stuff. You were energy. This sensation was all-encompassing and attention-keeping like being caught in the grasp of a deep dream.

They sped along, moving without moving their limbs. Traveling as if by will alone like gods soaring through the cosmos. They had not traveled long when they began to feel a touch of weariness. Elinor soon realized that their energy was not limitless, but finite. In contrast, Mario by now realized this all too well.

Mario set the pace. Not fast, not slow, but something in between. The three of them sped through the vast blackness with such alacrity that it boggled the mind, and yet, this was not as fast as they could go. They knew if they pushed themselves, they could definitely move faster and do this all in less time. Or if they slowed, they might conserve energy, but lose time in the process. In their current compromise of speed and energy, the three of them seemed to fly through the darkest of outer space.

For a moment, Mario felt himself reliving a moment of memory. He remembered being aboard the SDF-1 as it rushed back home from Pluto and oh, how space seemed to move and not move at the same time. This place, wherever it was, was similar to outer space in that regard.

As they traversed, they found themselves moving headlong toward a distant red light; a light that flashed angrily like a repeating, dangerous explosion, over and over again.

"There it is!" said Cera.

Cera's voice seemed to echo inside the Wild Card's ears, if indeed they were really using them. The 'infant' Ura-Meltrandi's voice sounded steadier and more resolved than they had ever heard it. It was as if she had been freed of all of her emotional troubles and nightmares, and like ghosts of the past, they could not touch her, at least for the moment.

Cera informed Mario and Elinor, "Dentalla, male Mario, please both of you trust me now! I will instruct you in traversing basics, at least as I have been taught it. There is much to learn!

"Whatever happens, do not let go or you will be on your own here. This will both weaken our chances of success and force you to find your way to the machine... or on your way back... alone.

"Most of the time, like with this door, there are but three steps in traversing. First, the Crossing - we have to reach the machine in order to interact with it. We are doing this now. Secondly, the Telling - we must have a transaction with the machine and convince it, in a way that makes reasonable sense to it, to do as we desire; this is the most delicate of the three processes. Finally, the Returning - we must go back to whence we came or risk being lost in this forever.

"Much of our success in each of these three events is dependent on the machine's disposition towards us. There are three stages of machine disposition: Threatened, Indifferent, and Compliant. Because of the fighting, the door has been alerted to enemy presence. In the outside world, it is locked and electronically prepared to fulfill its duty against intruders. And so, it reacts accordingly here. Among Traversers, this means the threatened machine will distance itself from us and be as difficult as it can be come the Telling. But we can only change the machine's disposition by first reaching it. Contact from afar is not possible.

"It is good, then, that we have each other, for our experience and natural abilities join together to a degree when we are linked. However, if we fail, we all suffer the consequences of brain-burn... or worse...

As you sped through these strange and vast reaches, Cera looked to both Wild Cards. "Do you understand me thus far?"

Toph suddenly remembers something that was said between Iris and Taniya. "Remember when Hercules was trying to work on the computer? Iris was unable to establish a mental connection with him while he was in the midst of Traversing. It must cut them off from the mental Nexus. I just hope that they don't take too much longer; we are rapidly running out of time."

Mario nods, and asks, "Do we need to all ask the machine spirit the same thing, giving it the same command in order to maximize our team effort here? If so, what exactly do we say to get the best chance of opening the door?"

"Remember when Hercules was trying to work on the computer? Iris was unable to establish a mental connection with him while he was in the midst of Traversing. It must cut them off from the mental Nexus."

Shirley looked out of her canopy at the giant insectoid. As motionless as Iris was, it was at first hard to tell if she was alive at all. Iris continued to stare unblinking at the door, her great pincers closed, as her gentle green eyes began to subtly change to a wary shade of yellow.

"Yeah," Shirley nodded. "That's true! Hey, Iris?"

Without moving, Unit One mentally responded. "This One is ready to assist, Leader Mack."

"Glad to, uh, hear it, chick. So, what's the story with the Polyphonic Nexus? When we go Traversing, do we have to be added back to the nexus?"

"One moment, please." There was a pause as silent as a calm wind. Then, Iris slowly blinked. "Consensus achieved. We believe those taking part in the Polyphonic Nexus should, upon their return, be restored to full communication."

"'Return,' huh?" Shirley didn't like the sound of that. "But they're standing right in front of us. If their minds aren't in their bodies, like, where are they?"

"Conclusion: In the Beyond."

Shirley pursed her lips. "Whooooa... That sounds really far out."

"Indeed."

Shirley turned to Muppet while keeping a close eye on the door. "Hey Muppet! Since you were able to figure that out, and we seem to have a minute, maybe you want to quiz our friendly neighborhood telepathic praying mantis here some other questions? I can barely keep all this crazy techno-mumbo-jumbo straight in my head!"

* * *​

Cera looked to Mario, then as they made eye contact, she looked away and replied, "No. Machines function at their best when only one Traverser performs the transaction during the Telling. We must decide who that Traverser is.

"The Traverser's command must make reasonable sense to the machine. It is best not to lie, though bending the facts without breaking them often provides the required outcome. Since machines differ in duty, functionality, and complexity, there is no one successful statement for them all.

As you traveled on, Cera faced forward and watched the red exploding light getting larger by the moment. Her straight, luminous "hair" wavered and shook as if being buffeted by winds. "Just remember, Debran," she addressed Mario, "to perform a successful transaction with a machine, a Traverser must think and relate to the machine in question. Its purpose. Its duty. Its sense of logic."

Mario frowns, trying to wrap his head around such an alien concept to him. "I understand machines pretty well, being a decent level mechanic. But I'm not sure exactly what I need to do here. Is it as simple as saying, 'Unlock and open', all the while I can picture the hardware doing just that? Do we need to make the door 'like' us first?"

Cera considered Mario's words as they sped along. She spoke as if she had infinite patience. "Technical knowledge is useful to some and blinding to others. It is not the same as understanding a machine's own point of view. This requires empathy. All Traversers have some level of that precious quality," Cera paused, "at least, so I have been taught.

"We interact machines using their logic. Sometimes the logic of machines is not what we expect, and so we ask questions to discern the machine's purpose, duty, and nature. From there, we attempt the transaction with our best reasoning. To fail is to take the Returning without gain; to risk yourself and those with you for naught." Staring straight ahead, Cera frowned and gritted her teeth. The very idea of failure seemed abhorrent to the Ura-Meltrandi.

The red exploding light became larger and larger. Very soon, the Wild Cards and Cera would reach it.

As they wait for some sign from the three Traversing the door, Toph's scientific curiosity gets the best of her as she looks over at Iris. "Iris, may I ask you some questions about you? What world do you come from? Can you tell me a bit about your species?"

Elinor also nodded her understanding. "I think it's best if you do the talking, then, Cera, and we'll back you up. This isn't just a machine, it's an alien machine, an' the logic's bound to be a bit different from what we're used to even if we were used to it!" She glanced at Mario and Cera, wondering if now was a good time to ask what "debran" meant, but decided to stay focused on the technopathy instead. She could always ask later.

Last edited:
Mario nods in agreement. "Yes Cera, you seem to have a handle on this more than we do. Why don't you interact with the machine and we will observe and support? It will give us a chance to see you in action for the next time we need to Traverse an item."

"Iris, may I ask you some questions about you? What world do you come from? Can you tell me a bit about your species?"

Iris closed her eyes. "One moment, please," Iris's voice sounded pretty and patient before she went silent. A few moments passed. Her eyelids opened slowly. Though she still faced the door out of combat readiness, there was a definite hint of emerald green to her eyes now.

There was now a distinct pleasure in the scrath's proud voice as Toph and Shirley heard her in their minds. "Consensus achieved! Toph Kirin, we are comfortable in sharing this data with you. We call our homeworld 'The Creche' or simply 'Creche.' It is an old planet, beautiful and dangerous, that lies in a solar system we call 'The Cradle.'

Iris's antennae moved lightly as if in a breeze. "Queries: What further information about our species does Toph Kirin desire? Background? Combat abilities? Culture? Or another subject?"

Shirley glanced at Toph and nodded her approval. "Good call, Muppet. Looks like you've made a friend!"

As the Traversers soared through the ethereal blackness, Cera's eyes grew wide, startled. The tremendously-young Ura-Meltrandi was in no way prepared for Elinor and Mario's responses. The confidence in Cera's voice began to waver. "M-- me?! B-but... despite your reasoning, why would you entrust your very lives to the lowest of the low? And... and how will you endure the shame and dishonor among your fellow warriors?

Cera's hands trembled. She looked straight ahead at the raging crimson blaze, unable to face either Mario or Elinor. "This... This is not fair to you! I am damaged, incomplete, and insignificant while you are the greater! It is enough that you suffer my presence, but this?!"

There was no mistaking the genuine fear in the Ura-Meltrandi's voice. There was pain too, as though the very expressing of these hidden thoughts hurt her to her core. Once again, Cera was vulnerable.

Elinor shook her head. "You might be damaged and all that, though I'd argue the point if we had time. But just you try to see it from our perspective. Mario and I hadn't even heard of technopathy until this morning, and we got sent out here just a couple hours after that. You might be only a day old, but you still know way more than we do, OK? As for our fellow warriors, you heard Shirley out there. The best one to ask is the one with the experience, and that's you. Shirley won't think we're shamed or dishonored for following her advice. And the ones back at the base, well, they can think what they want. They aren't here and can't do what we're doing anyhow."

Mario lets out a sigh. All the Meltrandi and Zentraedi I have ever known are gung-ho, guts and glory types that can't wait for a fight to prove how awesome they are. Now, when we need that attitude, we get saddled with the one in a billion member of the race that has self confidence issues. Great. "Cera, instead of trying to tell us how damaged you are, why don't you prove to us that you are a worthy warrior with a unique skill? Teach us how to use this power, and make your Queen proud of you for your skill in the face of the enemy. Each of us has their own talents and weaknesses. By working together we support our allies and get the job done. You can do this. All of our lives depends on getting through that door, and you are the one of the three of us that can pull it off the best."

Feeling excited at the thought of expanding her knowledge of extraterrestrials, Toph tries to send along a happy vibe with her next set of questions. "Please, I would love to learn more about your culture, and how your race came to meet Taniya and be a part of her forces."

The Wild Cards felt their motion slowing. There before them lay their destination - a whirling nimbus of crimson electric fire. What lay inside, none could tell. The Crossing was successful!

"You might be damaged and all that, though I'd argue the point if we had time. But just you try to see it from our perspective. Mario and I hadn't even heard of technopathy until this morning, and we got sent out here just a couple hours after that."

Elinor's argument seemed to get Cera thinking straight. She nodded several times while she listened. "Elly Nor, you care not for the opinions of your peers despite the ridicule my people will heap on you when they learn I helped you? You would even argue that I am perhaps not as damaged as I believe?" Cera bowed her head and smiled a little. Elinor's words were giving her strength. "Your faith in me is humbling, Dentalla...

"Worry not. I shall perform the Telling. You shall have that... underdone veritech from a bygone designer you call a tank!" Cera's tone did not carry any hint of insult here, but instead disappointment and appalled curiosity, apparently in whomever built the veritech hover tank.

Then Mario added...

"Cera, instead of trying to tell us how damaged you are, why don't you prove to us that you are a worthy warrior with a unique skill? Teach us how to use this power, and make your Queen proud of you for your skill in the face of the enemy."

"Prove? Because, Mario, I am not a warrior!

She gritted her teeth, though she tried not to be angry with him. "Try to understand, Debran... Except for the most basic of hand to hand teachings, I was crafted with no combat skills whatsoever! I am less than six feet tall when the rest of my warrior people are more than six times that! Unlike you, I cannot even defend myself against a micronian-sized wargoth... How many battlefield kills have you? Meanwhile, what use am I to my beloved people who prize only war, glory, and death?

"Understand... I am the very first second-generation Ura-Meltrandi manufactured for which 2,000 more were to follow. But they were all destroyed! Our body banks and gene-tanks were blasted into bits by the Zeki-Zentraedi males with their transfigured mecha and me nearly along with them. I am the only one left! War-Queen Taniya rescued me, released me from my tank early, disoriented, in this size instead of hers, confused, my training interrupted, not yet finished. I am incomplete!

"Do you see now? You know well what you are but I have no such comfort!

"Mario, I share with you these things not to burden or annoy but because I desperately need your aid! All in the hopes you will restore me! Have you never needed anyone?"

The beautiful Ura-Meltrandi stared at the red flame ahead. She needed someone to understand her. "Elly Nor asks me to see from your perspective. I have and will do the Telling. You will have your tank. But do you now see why I cry?" Cera looked to both Mario and Elinor for answer.

Aha! Now we are getting to the heart of the problem. "Cera, do you think that I was born to be a warrior? I was just a youngster when the SDF-1 landed on our planet, and my dad was sent to be one of the guards on Macross Island. At that time I had no idea what I wanted to do, up until the Zentraedi under Lord Breetai came knocking on our door. I then spent the better part of a year as a passenger on the ship as we struggled to get home. I was surrounded by soldiers and refugees from Macross City, so it was no real surprise that I had my eyes set on becoming military, just like my dad and older brother. It was only then that I started on the path to be the soldier that I am today."

He takes a breath as he looks over the Meltrandi, thinking on what to say next. "You are much younger than I was when I joined the service, but that doesn't mean that you can't be more than you are now! Don't see yourself as a damaged, half-made individual, but as a person that is full of potential to be more than you are now. I am sorry if I hurt you with my comments; any pain I caused was unintentional. But we can discuss this later on after I get my hands on my poorly designed excuse for a combat mecha and we all get out of here alive and keep these Zentraedi from killing anyone in our base."

Cera's explanation that she was not a warrior surprised Elinor, but not nearly as much as the fact that all of Cera's ... siblings, as Elinor figured them, had been destroyed. The Georgian farmgirl couldn't imagine life without her family, and found herself wanting to bring Cera back to the farm right then to share the Halls' hospitality and care with her. She nodded emphatically with Mario's statements. "Life ain't fair, Cera, and some start out with more than others, and some with less. It sucks to be one of the ones with less, but that won't keep you from being anything you want to be, all right? You just pick your path and we'll help you walk it, same as you're helping us walk this Traverser path. 'Cause that's what friends do." She smiled reassuringly. "But Mario's right. We can talk more about that when there's time. For now, we'll trust you in this, and you just trust us when we do, OK?"

"Where's My Thing?" by Rush

Cera during the Traversing - basically this, but with longer hair.
6034e377d6322b17a05bbaa748c45302.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest )

Three trains of thought flew through Cera's very active brain.

Cera tilted her head to one side in fascination and curiosity at Mario's words. "'Dad'?" she wondered. "'Brother'? And... what is 'born'? Does it mean... 'custom-made'?

She considered. "You say that you were not manufactured to become a warrior, but you became one by choice? Is this not..." she had trouble just saying the words, "...a breach of duty? To go against the purpose of your original programming? Did your creators not punish you?"

Then she felt equally curious concerning Elinor's argument. "You agree with Mario and choose to trust me..." Cera appeared genuinely shocked. "You... both... honor me..." A tear drifted down her eye, but for once it was not born of sadness.

* * *​

"No, no," Cera said, believing Mario felt similarly, "the VHT is a fine battloid with excellent defensive capabilities and decent potential as a mobile gun platform. I believe it simply makes for a poor tank." She frowned, totally unaware that by speaking thusly about the VHT, she had just insulted the very idea behind the Alpha Tactical Armored Corps and every tanker in it.

"I have a limited understanding of all technologies yet encountered by the Ura-Meltrandi since our inception. This includes Debrandi war machines. The very concept of the tank fascinates me; a vehicle which is devastating, ultra-protective, and highly mobile - neither the Zentraedi nor the Meltrandi possess such things.

In expression of her fascination, the Auxiliary Specialist continued. "I believe a true transformable hover tank should fully protect its crew in all modes, possess powerful weapons that command respect on the battlefield, and not depend on only one mode to make proper use of its main gun. Would that I had the means to transform theory into reality, I could improve the Veritech Hover Tank or.... create a new tank-based mech altogether. But, forgive me... I dally... " Cera moved on.

* * *​

Cera turned to the fiery red explosions of light. It was staring into a miniature galaxy filled with bursting flames, wonder-inspiring and mysterious, for it seemed something lay within, shrouded behind those brilliant lights.

0904b5d8b8a6d8a3b43f857e151138e6.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest )

Cera's voice was strong again. Strong and appreciative. "You... both have faith in me. You imply that perhaps I am not meant to be a warrior but something else? But what else is there but war, death, and glory?" She shook her head dismissing any more questions in an attempt to focus on the task at hand. "I would like to speak of all this later, when time is once again on our side."

"For now, It is time for the Telling." Cera looked up at the crimson nimbus. Her Traversing instruction continued in detail.

"The red color signifies the machine's threatened disposition. However... if you recall, my intrepid War-queen Taniya infiltrated their security system. As we speak, the ship's fire-suppression systems attacks the Zeki-Zentraedi, buying us needed time. Why? Because my clever War-queen Taniya redefined, for the systems, the definition of a single word - 'Fire.'

"For the moment, the security and fire-suppression systems believe a fire is both a flame and 'Anything over 30 feet in height, humanoid in shape, in motion, and male.'" Cera grinned mischievously. "In other words, the Zeki-Zentraedi..."

"Remember," she repeated, "we interact machines using their logic. Not our own. Sometimes the logic of machines is not what we expect, and so we ask questions to discern the machine's purpose, duty, and nature." Cera kept her hands firmly in Elinor's and Mario's.

"Now ask yourselves: What do we know and what machine-logic do we have to use?

"We face a blast door. It is on a Zeki-Zentraedi Assault Scout-class starship. We know the door has been alerted and locked down. Its disposition is threatened, hence its red glow and great distance from us during the Crossing.

"Elly Nor, Mario, now we follow the machine-logic. Think like the machine we face. What is the door's purpose? To provide or prevent access only for those that provide proper validity or purpose. Who is that? Anyone or anything that provides correct access. This might be an access card, a command from the security system, or something else.

"How was the door alerted? Through the ship's security system. The door is not aware of beyond it save for the security system that controls it, but the security system is aware of much, much more.

"Remember, the door does not know us; it cannot discern us from crew or enemy, it decides that during transaction.

"Therefore do not think in terms of 'like' or 'dislike.' These are alien concepts to a machine. Furthermore, I never threaten the machine. I never lie to the machine, but I may gently bend the facts to suit my argument. I only provide my best argument, armed with as many facts as possible, in the hopes that the machine agrees.

"I will proceed thusly - I will request the door be opened. The machine will likely tell me it will not without proper access. I will provide that access by bending the facts. 'There are fires on my side of the door. I require access to reach safety.'

"The door, at this point, will follow its duty and logic.

"Lastly, it is important only one of us perform the Telling here. Like too many people trying to put their keys into one keyhole, if something simple like this door is provided too much data or given too complex an argument, the door may request the intervention of the security system. That is bad. This will only complicate the transaction. I will keep my argument basic in nature lest the machine act against us."

"Shall we begin?" Cera's smile was filled with anticipation. She may have been no warrior, but for here, in this strange world, she was in her element.

* * *​

"Mediate" by INXS (I wish I could find a purely-instrumental version of this song. =) ).

Cera pulled Mario and Elinor headlong into the crimson cloud. As you broke through the dense, angry-looking veil, a square-like shape appeared before you, rotating slowly on some unseen axis.

It was the 'heart' of the machine.

Source Code.jpg
(Image credit: Shutterstock)

The cube was the size of a car. A big car. All three Traversers could have fit inside of it. Surrounded by the red clouds, the cube seemed right at home floating in nothingness. It waited.

Cera, her voice crystal-clear, spoke to it. She stretched out each word a little.

"Machine," she greeted.

"Entity," it responded. Its mouthless voice boomed and echoed through your mind's 'ears.' It was a male voice with a Zentraedi accent.

"Open. I require access."

"I require proof of validity or purpose."

Cera continued smoothly. "I am in danger. There are many fires nearby in the aerospace hangar bay. I require access for my safety."

The machine's reply was nearly instant. "Access granted."

The red cloud all about you lost its angry color and swiftly transformed into a hue of green like that of the heart of the machine.

Turning to look behind you, Cera indicated with a thrust of her chin. "We are victorious! Look!"

Behind the three of you was a beautiful white light that shone like a star. "With the Telling successful, the Returning is all the more made easier." Without hesitation, Cera guided you into that heavenly light without another look back toward the heart of the machine.

Suddenly, for Mario and Elinor, there was a great rushing explosion of sensory data as you found yourselves back inside your bodies, atop Elinor's Valkyrie's wing. You heard and felt everything from the sounds of veritech engines to the sound of the door swishing open to the sound of your own rapid breathing. Colors were super-clear, you were all too aware of the mega-suits in which you were encased, and the feeling over your heart quickly thudding inside your chest. The sensations alone were not overly loud or powerful, just your return to them.

Then came an invisible wave of fatigue that hit you like a big wave of water from some unknown seashore. For long moments, it felt as if you were wearing three mega-suits, so laden was your mind with exertion. And yet, despite your buckling knees, you were still on your feet, Cera between you standing tall with the glowing pride of victory all about her.

Then your sense of time returned - the entire Traversing event took about 15 seconds.

There was no headache. No migraine. No "brain-burn." Only a wave of fatigue that was quickly passing, faster for Elinor than for Mario, but passing nonetheless. You knew you would be back to normal in a matter of moments, but then you looked up from the Valkyrie's wing and noticed something.

The blast door was opening...

Congrats! You did what for normal human beings (or Zentraedi or Meltrandi) is impossible! =)

My next post will cover Iris's response to Toph's questions. That post, which will cover what is going on in the physical world, will end with the door opening and all of you able to act.

But do not take any actions like getting back into your cockpits or whatever yet, please, until after my next post. =)

Sherwood and Kaerri are welcome to post their character's reactions to the Traversing. They can speak and ask questions, just don't move them yet.

Psychie, please hold off until I can get my next post up, and then everyone will be able to take action. Any questions or feelings about the Traversing, this post, etc.? Please post away whatever you want in Fat Gandalf's. =)

Last edited:
As Cera tells them of the secrets of Traversing, Mario cannot help but feel as if he were a very small cog in a very large machine; a single drop of information in a whole universe of knowledge. This was the most incredible feeling he had ever faced.

Looking at the Meltrandi, he says, "Don't worry about questions of my origin right now. I'll happily share with you what human terms like 'family' and 'brother' mean, once we are all out of here and drinking a beer together in our hangar back at Eglin Base. I also have many questions for you, too, wishing to learn more of you and your people, and you seem to have many ideas on upgrading our equipment. For my own part, I am a bit of a technician, too. If you don't mind, we can talk shop and see what we can do to make the mecha in our arsenal better."

After that, the burly man looks on in wonder as they enter the heart of the machine. This is better than any sci-fi movie I've ever seen! Awesome! As he watches Cera make her initial contact with the door, he can feel the level of anxiety rise, wondering if this will work. Then, there is the near instant reply from the machine indicating success! Remember this, Mario, for when you have to do the Traversing yourself. Learn to think like the machine you are about to talk to, and use its logic to make a successful contact.

Amazingly enough, he feels his initial level of irritation with Cera fading quickly. She never meant to be hostile to me, just because I'm a 'mere' male. It is just the way she was raised. At least she's learning. And she tells us that she's damaged, and is unfinished. Sounds like we all have a bit of learning to do from one another.

(Game Master note - This scene takes place during the previous post. Enjoy! It's Scrath-story time!)

Feeling excited at the thought of expanding her knowledge of extraterrestrials, Toph tries to send along a happy vibe with her next set of questions. "Please, I would love to learn more about your culture, and how your race came to meet Taniya and be a part of her forces."

While Cera, Mario, and Elinor Traversed, Iris glanced at the small, part-human, part-Lisara-Meltrandi in her dark armored carapace. The large insectoid's eyes warmed to a green hue at Toph Kirin's curiosity and openness for dialogue, for indeed, this was a meeting of minds in the most alien of ways - Toph Kirin had never before met a Scrath and Iris, also known as Unit One, had never before today encountered a being like Muppet. In truth, Iris had no idea such creatures were even possible. Discoveries like these were part of the reason she had joined Those Who Ventured Beyond!

Her outer movements were few - she slowly blinked her eyes in a gleeful manner and rubbed her pincers together briefly. Toph could hear the echo of her own joy in Iris's voice as the alien mantis faithfully answered.

"Consensus achieved! How melodious! We shall proceed!"

"Forest Hymn" by Deep Forest

Toph and Shirley heard a distant music in the softer reaches of their minds. It was like a pleasant chanting of many, many people, peaceful and happy. While this music was heard, Iris shared freely.

"The Creche is a bountiful, beautiful realm of many blessings; it is a world with many dangers and many lessons. Toph Kirin may do well to visit there someday. Scrath live along the 'Creche's belt' or equator. There, in the sunniest, warmest, most vibrant of rain-drenched jungles, flowery undergrounds, and rushing rivers, we thrive and share. As the most-intelligent and scientifically-capable species of the planet at the time, we multiplied and set out to assist other living creatures with their lifestyles in exchange for their assistance to improve ours.

"Other creatures be they mammals, avians, arachnids, or otherwise, benefit from our existence while continuing their various ways of life. In turn, over the eons, we have sought to improve our own understanding of our shared world through exploration, experimentation, and self-expression. To provide example, through the shared perspectives of colonies over a wide area, we as a species learned that different environments, habitats, and food sources changed our insect-like bodies.

"Understanding this, we decided to take on characteristics of our fellow arachnids. Though not intelligent enough to converse with, they taught us the art of web-spinning and web-shooting. Now the protein we so eagerly devour serves not only to sustain us, but to assist others! Over the eons, consensus was attained among all colonies to alter ourselves to perform these feats. As such, we were able to protect ourselves against most any threat. Since we did not battle amongst ourselves, we were prosperous for many a millenia.

"Then the dawn came when the stars fell from the sky. We saw this and wondered. We knew nothing of life beyond our sight. From out of the protection of our colonies, we greeted these falling stars and saw that they indeed had physical forms. You would call them 'starships.' We celebrated their coming though we knew not who they were. We prepared foods and weavings and songs for their arrival.

"In return, they began to destroy us.

"Thousands of furious blasts of crimson plasma cannons, blue arcs of particle beams, smoke-trailing missiles launched in clusters, rains of red laser streams, and hordes and hordes of huge humanoid creatures in battle-carapaces descended upon us. That day, we learned of a word we had never fathomed existed:

"'War.'"

"We had lived in the Creche for thousands of years. The Zeki-Zentraedi came and conquered us in a matter of days. Soon after, we learned of a new and equally hideous word:

"'Slavery.'"

"Scarecrow" by Ministry

"The Zeki-Zentraedi with their technology and expertise in battle, both of which we utterly lacked, quite literally crushed us underneath their heels. We tried to defend ourselves, to hide, to save ourselves. They found all but our deepest and best-hidden holes and colonies. They destroyed our eggs, smashed our wisest and most capable, and burned everything dear to us - everything except for our food.

"We soon learned that these destroyers could do naught else. Their machines were broken. They knew not how to repair them and they were hungry. So they conquered us to feed them. Thankfully, they found our bodies to be quite distasteful, and so they enslaved us to capture other creatures and breed them as food for the Zeki-Zentraedi.

"Though this went against everything we were, we had no choice. Mercifully, the creatures we harvested saw no betrayal through us and we made their passings as peaceful and painless as possible before the Zeki-Zentraedi consumed them.

"And so these horrible acts of desecration continued on for many dark years.

"Then one evening, long into our collective misery and despair, another star fell out of the sky...

"This star burned and smoked and did not fly but struck the ground with terrific force. Out of concern, we approached to find a nearly-demolished battle-carapace unlike that which the Zeki-Zentraedi used. In fact, we discovered that Zentraedi were also a female race! Up until this point, we believed them all to be male.

"Immediately, there was a conflict of consensus among our people. Do we welcome her? Do we destroy her? Do we deliver her to our conquerors? Consensus, though split, agreed that we should remain who we are regardless of all outside stimuli - even unto death. After this decree was set forth, all Scrath soon came unto consensus and once again we were harmonious. However, the Zeki-Zentraedi had heavily-damaged her battle-carapace, forcing her to set down on one of our harvesting areas.

"This wounded warrior allowed us permission to communicate via Polyphonic Nexus. She claimed she was 'Commander Taniya of the Ura-Meltrandi' and she hated the Zeki-Zentraedi with a vengeance. Even after years of harsh treatment, death, and despair, we never once hated our conquerors. Indeed, we had never seen such malice expressed from one creature to another, even the Zeki-Zentraedi. Such extreme negative emotions remain alien to us. At most, we heavily dislike the Zeki-Zentraedi. This is well. For we do not wish to become that which we dislike.

"Acting quickly, we removed her from her battle-carapace, for she could not travel, and carried her away. She somehow caused her battle-carapace to explode removing all evidence that she had survived. Then we hid her in our very deepest, most-secret of all holes while the Zeki-Zentraedi searched the area and eventually cheered her evident destruction. Via consensus, Self's people carried this secret ruse unanimously.

"Under Commander Taniya's direction, we lovingly webbed her limbs and torso properly so that they may heal as they should. We nurtured her using the best foods and liquids we could provide. All the while, she seethed in great pain and planned with volcanic hatred. Commander Taniya then proceeded to ask us questions about our conquerors to rival any of our most-educated. She promised she would...

During this part of Iris's tale, her voice momentarily faded. Then, Toph and Shirley heard Taniya's voice as clearly as if the giant destroyer had been standing right next to them. Her pain-filled voice shook with incredible determination.

'...free you dirty bugs from under the boots of these damnable males! Then you can choose to join us in our journey across the stars! This I swear! DEATH to the Zeki!'

Then Iris's happy voice immediately returned. "There in our darkest hole, she planned with the patience of an old Scrath.

"At first, her plan involved only herself and her sword, for she lacked all other items. But through our repeated insistence, she included us in her plans. When she healed, she continued to study them as we studied the other creatures we shared the Creche with.

"Then one moonless night, we acted.

"Forest Hymn (Ade Laugee Drum & Bass Remix)" by Deep Forest

"As according to our plan, we fed the nearest colony of Zeki-Zentraedi our finest fruit-pods. We explained that they were a delicacy in honor of our fearsome captors. At first, the Zeki-Zentraedi colony was suspicious. This lasted until curiosity of their taste-buds won over their wariness. They tasted our botanically-crafted beverages. Little did our conquerors know we had secretly designed them to deeply intoxicate mammals even as large as they. We had used a variant of this fruit-pod on the few remaining bovine-mammals to lessen their pain. Now we used them to assist Commander Taniya in her escape.

"With great daring and timing, Commander Taniya and one other Scrath snuck their way into what you would call the "starship port.' With the smallest of Scrath assistance, Commander Taniya silently cut her way through the pair of battle-carapace-clad elite Zeki-Zentraedi. Then she stole their spacecraft! She insisted the Scrath join her aboard and under the cover of night, they launched off into the skies and, from there, into stars.

"Being the very first space-bound Scrath in our species's history, This One was too stunned and shocked to fully absorb the honor being placed on her. In truth, Self had never dreamed to see the Creche's belt from above! Clouds beyond the reach of our flight and oceans we never knew drifted beneath Commander Taniya's starship as she flew away with mathematics, science, piloting experience, and a plan of action all at her fingertips!

"Indeed, due to her flight path, the Zeki-Zentraedi never noticed one of their ships had left orbit from the other side of the Creche until it was far too late. By then, Commander Taniya had contacted her War-queen using technologies unknown by This One's people.

"Then Commander Taniya's hatred and desire for vengeance upon the small Zeki-Zentraedi fleet seemed to spread like a virus throughout her own people. It was one thing to experience hatred from the volatile female that is now War-queen Taniya, but to see this exhibited from her entire species? This was unfathomable!

"With great planning using the stolen starship, and at the request of most-esteemed Empress Ura, Commander Taniya directed the Ura-Meltrandi forces in a shadowy attack using our Creche's moon as cover. Commander Taniya then split her forces into a two-pronged attack - the first was to save This One's people; the second was to cause the Zeki-Zentraedi fleet to turn toward the Creche, thereby exposing their unguarded flank to the Creche's moon and the hidden Ura-Meltrandi fleet.

"With the assistance of This One's colony, we provided the largest-ever Polyphonic Nexus which included the entire Ura-Meltrandi fleet. Commander Taniya's forces attacked with telepathic accuracy while the rest of my people webbed and hid themselves into their holes and deepest colonies.

"It is with pride that Self exclaims the following - Commander Taniya's actions resulted in 98% of This One's remaining people rescued and 100% Zeki-Zentraedi casualties - not one escaped the Creche!

"Through her heroism, Commander Taniya saved not only This One's people, but all remaining creatures whose ancestors had long called the Creche home! Commander Taniya stood before Empress Ura and was promoted to War-queen, to This One's great pride!

"Every Scrath alive serves the Ura-Meltrandi, not through obligation, but from appreciative desire and the knowledge that no other race, including humans, should terribly suffer how This One's people suffered.

"And so after great celebration and elation, consensus was called again from across our entire species. Some wished to remain on the Creche to continue in eternal apology and to provide for the betterment of all creatures who remained on our world. Others wished to join with War-queen Taniya in her journey across the stars. And so our people divided into two colonies - Those That Remained and Those That Traveled Beyond. These songs have now reached your ears!

"Things are as you see them, Toph Kirin and Leader Mack - Unit One is called thus because she was the first requested by War-queen Taniya to join her. And so, the Ura-Meltrandi's enemies are our enemies. And besides... Zeki-Zentraedi, we quickly learned, are the best source of protein to sustain the Scrath! From their 'donations' have we created many a beauteous thing and assisted many a living creature - yours now included! Is this not harmonious?!" Iris telepathically cheered.

Just then, you noticed movement from Elinor's Valkyrie's wing. Elinor, Mario, and Cera staggered together as one. While the Wild Cards reached subconsciously for their heads with their free hands, Toph, Shirley, and Iris noticed they kept holding hands as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "Spaceman Sam" and MechaKitten looked on from the rear set of the Red Baroness.

Cera remained standing as Mario and Elinor drooped, almost falling slowly to the wide white veritech's wing. Their eyes fluttered in recognition as if regaining the use of their most basic senses. Their chests heaved as if they had performed some great feat of endurance. All the while Cera watched her human compatriots with a new prideful bearing in her stance.

Then, without anyone touching a button, the blast door you were guarding quickly opened like a giant knife being pulled out of a scabbard. It revealed a short corridor some 100 feet long and 80 feet high. Around the bend, you could hear a mechanical whooshing sounds followed by busy, angry voices in Zentraedi. They appear not to have noticed the opening of the blast door. From the sounds of things, you have the time to make a short plan and then act on it.

Your characters are now free to act. Though we are not in combat, it will take Elinor and Cera about 8 seconds to regain full use of their abilities and Mario about twice that long. I'll explain what's around the bend once someone chooses to peek in. =)

Hope you liked the story, folks!

Last edited:
Toph listens with rapt attention to the tale being told by Iris, her only regret is that there is no voice recording of this to go into her files. This is amazing stuff! I could spend weeks going into extreme detail with Iris, and possibly be the first one to publish my findings about the second alien race we have ever encountered! In a more sobering tone, she pulls back a bit and tries to think of the ramifications to Iris if she were to do this. General Steele might decide to have her dissected, and then I'd be responsible for the needless death of a wonderful being that doesn't deserve that. I could also ruin many lives if the secret of the Traversing power comes out. I MUST be extremely careful, and discuss this with Colonel Sharp before doing anything like that.

"Iris, thank you for sharing this information with us. I must say, while you have answered many questions of mine, there are a thousand more echoing inside my head right now. So long as you don't mind, I would love the chance to learn more about you, and in turn, share with you things about humanity that you may not know yet. I wonder - Mack! Look!" She is suddenly interrupted by the sight of Mario and Elinor stagger as they exit the mental state of the Traversing, with Cera standing tall in between the two. Almost at the same time, the heavy blast door opens with a 'woosh', and she shifts her focus down the corridor with her arm mounted pulse weapon ready to fire. No sign of the tank yet, and many angry Zentraedi voices with no idea as to what is around that corner. We need to make a plan of attack.

"Mario, Elinor, Cera? Can you hear me? Iris, is the nexus reestablished between all of us?""

Mario takes a deep breath as he returns to his own body once more, and feels a wave of weakness wash over him. Dropping down to one knee, he fumbles around on his belt for his canteen to take a quick drink as he tries to recover. At least there is no brain burn going on. That pain was bad. I'm glad that there's no repeat of that. He looks up at Cera and Elinor and gives them both a wide grin, finally croaking out, "Hell yeah, that's right. Great job, Cera, and you too, Lt. Hall. You make it look so easy. I guess I have a bit of practicing to do to make Traversing go so smooth."

After another drink, he pushes himself back to his feet and looks around, still feeling a bit shaky. Time to get back to work. "Lt. Kirin, if you would be so kind, would you open up the passenger seat so I can get inside once more? I can hear some angry Zentraedi talk down that hall, and I don't want to be hanging around out here when the shooting starts." Man! I feel as weak as a newborn kitten. Hopefully that feeling will pass soon.

"Unit One, from what I remember of our first meeting, you were able to blend into the background quite effectively and be virtually unseen. Would you be willing to look around the corner for us to see what number and layout of our targets there is out there while the three of us get back into our mecha? If not, I can use my jump pack to take a quick peek, so long as I can take a few moments first to recoup my strength."

Cera gasped softly at the praise and bowed her head, perhaps so that her reaction could not be read. You heard her give but a timid reply. "Your... your weakness will pass. Very soon."

Mario and Elinor's senses reeled for what felt like long moments. Hearing and sight became sharper by the moment. The feeling of their mega-suits climate control system cooling their uniformed, sweaty skin felt twice as good as it normally did. Cera's words proved true. Inside of fifteen seconds, Elinor and Mario found themselves ready to take action.

As for the Polyphonic Nexus, no sooner did Toph utter her words and Mario make his request then did Iris's own attention instantly turn directly to the leader of their team.

Shirley, feeling the great insectoid's mind and eyes upon her, fidgeted. Iris was, in her own way, requesting Shirley's permission to act on both requests. How Shirley knew this, she had no idea; this whole telepathic highway thing and her utter lack of understanding it all made her feel, well, "telepathetic."

The Californian surfer waved her hand. "Yeah! Go ahead and make it happen there, Iris!"

Iris's antennae quivered ever so slightly. Then you saw Iris's words flash before your minds.

Direct reconnection ordered per Leader Mack. Consensus formed! Movement in motion...
Binary Nexus 01 merged.
Binary Nexus 02 merged.
Binary Nexus 03 merged.
Binary Nexus 04 merged.
Binary Nexus 05 merged.
Binary Nexus 06 merged.

All paths reestablished. Polyphonic Nexus restored! This One is pleased!

Mario and Elinor returned to their feet on the wing of Elinor's Valkyrie. Cera steadied them. Then they too noticed the gigantic Zentraedi-sized blast door was open revealing a short hallway which curved sharply around a corner into what sounded a room with confused activity and at least two male giant voices shouting angrily. The strange mechanical sounds that accompanied the shouting continued.

Iris then began a strange metamorphosis. Little by little, her carapace shifted and darkened, losing its lustrous red sheen and gaining instead the dull, uninteresting gray shared by the Zentraedi starship's floor and wall. Iris walked into the corridor toward the corner, but she was somewhat more difficult to see with the naked eye. Step by step, the Scrath prowled in the careful, unhurried manner of a creature who hunts for survival. She would be at the corner in moments.

What do you do?

Mario takes a deep breath, feeling his strength returning. "Thank you, Cera." He stands up straight and stretches, making his back pop and crunch. He looks up the open hallway and grins at the sound of the angry voices. "They don't sound happy. I wonder why? Lt. Kirin, can you please let me back into the cockpit? I don't want to be out here when everything goes down."

As he climbs in, he tries to listen to the voices and not only hear what they are saying, but how many of the angry Zentraedi there are out there. Then he sees Iris begin to vanish away, becoming almost invisible. Well, it will find out how many targets there are out there for us.

Toph quickly opens up the cockpit to let Mario inside. "Come on in, corporal. Good work getting the door open everyone! Strong work! Are the three of you feeling ok? Iris, be careful out there. We don't want you getting hurt."

The scientist in her suddenly rears its head. I would love to wire up one of the team to an EKG and get a look at the brain waves associated with Traversing. Maybe even an MRI. This is amazing stuff!

She runs a quick check on her weapons, making sure that everything is on line and ready to go. "Mack, I'm all set for action here. Y'know, I need to come up with a good name for my baby here. Something cool like your Red Baroness. I have a few ideas."

Elinor listened intently to Cera's guidance. First the Telling, machine logic and bent (but not broken) truth, then success and the Returning. She said nothing, but soaked it all in for later use (and retelling to Toph, Shirley, Hercules, and whoever else might need it).

The exhaustion hit like a semi-tractor just as soon as Elinor found herself back in her body again. Amazingly, there didn't seem to be any pain like Mario and Hercules had experienced. Elinor took that to mean they'd done everything right this time. Or rather, Cera had done everything right and Elinor and Mario had, very rightly (she grinned to herself), not interfered! Straightening up, she shook her head as if clearing cobwebs, then shook out arms and legs that were rapidly returning to normal and headed for her own cockpit.

The plan had been for Elinor's Valkyrie to carry Mario, but it seemed neither Mario nor Toph were willing to risk that with the fight around the corner, and they didn't have time to argue about it, so Elinor just let it drop and got herself strapped in, helping Cera do the same if the Ura-Meltrandi seemed to need it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back