• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Ten: Highwind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 27
Fort save: +12
Ref save: +8
Will save: +4
Current action points: 9
Current HP: 87/87
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spell: Speak with Animals
Speech color, for reference: #3399ff

Mielikki paused with the Felane and approached. Her every word was charming and thoughtful and as natural as the breeze. "Thou hast faced death here in this very kingdom and in the Astral plane and in realms beyond the reaches of most Averlundians' dreams. Thy bravery cannot be discounted. But remember! Shouldst thou fail in returning Oscar from Death's cold grip, I might come to believe the notion that mine magicks to bring thee and thine here were improperly wasted!" she indicated the pegasi with a wave of her hand and teased. "We cannot have that, can we?" Her very voice contained hope and all who heard it were heartened unless they wished otherwise. This time, her tone was as serious as a wolf's howl.

"Go, Shield Stallion, for thine friend and mine. We shall speak anon."
Bren blushed, smiled, and nodded, then bowed deeply before rising to his feet and joining Bria at the casket with the others.

"Assuming that I have made no mistakes, the message says, "To return to a new life changed forevermore TRNAEICANRE. What that means? I am not sure. As I said, I may have made a mistake, but it could be a name? Hmmm."
"Trnaei - that last word," she spoke for the first time since Mielikki's arrival, "It's an anagram, clearly. For reincarnate."

Bren smiled warmly. "Well done Luna, and well done Nivirea! Excellent teamwork." He rested a hand on each of their shoulders in thanks, then turned to Bria. "That would explain why none of the clerics' spells worked. I don't recall Reincarnate being a cleric's spell. Is that something you can do, dear friend?"

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

Turned towards Otiorin, Nivirea looked like she was just about to chide him for not knowing what an anagram is when she felt Bren's hand on her shoulder and promptly lost interest. She smiled appreciatively at Bren, nodding her head and afterwards directing her attention to Bria, like him.

"Life Means So Much" by the ever-fantastic Chris Rice. =)

Partial lyrics:
Every day is a gift
you've been given
Make the most of the time
every minute you're living

"Trnaei - that last word," she spoke for the first time since Mielikki's arrival, "It's an anagram, clearly. For reincarnate."

Bren smiled warmly. "Well done Luna, and well done Nivirea! Excellent teamwork." He rested a hand on each of their shoulders in thanks, then turned to Bria. "That would explain why none of the clerics' spells worked. I don't recall Reincarnate being a cleric's spell. Is that something you can do, dear friend?"

"You bet! Reincarnate..." Bria mused and nodded. "Yes, that would do it... It's not a clerical or arcane spell. Only druids and healers know it." She gazed at Oscar's casket.

Randall Flagg stepped forward, his cloaked entourage close behind him ready to be of instant service. The grand vizier practically begged, "You-- You can bring him back?"

Bria turned, her brown hair flashing in the wind. "It's... not entirely up to me."

"What?! Of course it is! You are the magic wielder! The effect is yours to create!"

"Mister Flagg, please refrain. These are not wizardly matters, sir."

Flagg gawked. Was he being rebuked by... a Bria? "Do I mistake your intent? Are you telling me to mind my own business in a matter as grave as this?"

But Bria's eyes were back on the silent casket. "The decision for dear Oscar to return is not yours. It is not mine nor is it anyone else's." She put her hand on the casket's rim.

Flagg raised his hand in outrage. He took in a deep breath, ready to argue loudly.

But Bria stayed strong. "It's Oscar's and Oscar's alone. If you somehow interfere with that... then we will have twice the folly to mourn this day, don't you think?"

Flagg seemed to falter. His face fell. He realized he had no argument against this and so, bowing to the younger spellcaster's wisdom, Flagg finally fell back and conceded.

Bria breathed a sigh of relief. She turned to each of you and said, "I need to see his body and prepare myself to meditate again for the Reincarnate spell. It should take about an hour. Then I'll need another hour to properly prepare the spell. Then cast it. Would you please help me open the casket lid to begin? It looks really heavy."

She was right. The wooden lid was raised and there in the long casket, draped carefully from head to toe in soft clean linens with a small crown about his features lay the regal corpse of Oscar of Highwind. He was an incredible sight. A human man perhaps in the end of his fiftieth year, his tall figure reached higher than even Bren's own. He seemed stately and in some silent way, majestic, like an artist's statue created from the highest inspiration. Touches of mistletoe and yellow rose petals were arranged all about him.

Most unusual however were the pungent scents of expensive and rare oils upon his skin which could easily be detected by any nose nearby. A tiny drum lay at Oscar's large feet and a drop of blood, dried and black but not unhandsome, lay upon his brow.

Flagg saw this and shook his head in surprise. "Boccob's Books! We... we did not arrange him thusly! How--"

Bria's eyes were as wide as the grand vizier's. "These oils. The drum and the blood. He's... already prepared for reincarnation. But who--" She turned to the one person present who could have thought of all this and acted beforehand.

Bria found the Mistress of the Forest looking back at her with Mamapaw and Powerpaw silently watching beside her. She was grinning with a hint of mischievousness. "Oh, is that not something?"

Bria watched Mielikki closely. "The spells... in my mind have been rearranged. Just now. I didn't memorize Reincarnate when I meditated last. And now..."

"How peculiar!"

Bria then noted the careful arrangements of evergreen and yellow roses. "And... there is a strange ward here. Reincarnate comes with a penalty for the deceased. Funny how this ward seems to... absolve... Oscar his price should he desire to return?"

Mielikki clasped her hands behind her back and posed in mock innocence from among her flock of tweeting songbirds. Tossing her blonde locks with one hand, nodded agreeably. "Funny indeed!"

Bria understood. Once again, Bria beamed her gratitude to the Goddess of the Forest. She had done this all without request or provocation of any kind, freely, for the Wayward Wanderers' benefit. Bria thought that it must be such a different existence to be a deity instead of a mortal. It was not the last time in her life that thought would come to her.

"There dost lie one alteration of utmost importance," Mielikki said to Bria. "Whilst thou can perform the casting, thou..." she pointed to the rest of the Wayward Wanderers, "...must perform the asking."

Bria whirled. "Oh, boy..." She held her hands to her breast and looked into each of your eyes as she spoke. "Listen! You might have to convince him it's possible to come back. He might be very comfortable in his own piece of heaven. There is no telling what the Tempus Fugit did. And if he does agree, tell him he won't be the same. It's unfair if you don't. And.. Oh... people sometimes change a bit when they die... Even wonderful wise folk like Oscar..."

Bria of the Ko prepared her mind and body, then she called upon the magics granted her. Chanting soft words in Celestial, the healer turned and swayed in a gentle beckoning dance, her arms raised high in appeal to the heavens. Silence descended upon the holy ground. Followers of Mielikki, wizards of Highwind, the Meadowsweets, Stewart, Shalin, and Master Glider all watched and listened to Bria's soft singing of musical magics. And then they watched you, knowing what you must do.

Whittle cupped her hands and called to you, "No pressure!"

Graceful and well-practiced, Bria continued her peaceful casting like a woman held in the deepest of moving trances, and as she moved...

... the corpse spoke!

"Is someone there?" His voice was deep and clear, ringing with a power and presence all its own. Everyone heard it. Oscar was here! "I could swear I hear... singing. Is that Bria?"

Of course, Bria deep in her trance, could not answer. But each of you could.

Randall Flagg saw this and just about fainted, but he remembered his pact and stayed put, mouth closed, his fists clenched until they were white-knuckled, his booted feet rooted to the ground. His cracked eyes stared loudly at all of you as if to plead, "IN THE NAME OF HIGHWIND, DO NOT GOOF THIS UP!!"

Meanwhile, Bria continued her magical trance-dancing, her long brown hair and Ko fighting robes blowing with the cool mountain breeze. Eyes closed, she sang and danced and smiled as sweetly as a bird in the sky.

The time to act was now.

What do you do?

Last edited:
Luna briefly clears her throat before trying to speak. "Master Oscar, I am Luna Callen, and I am a companion of Bria. She is trying to bring you back from your eternal rest, and is unable to converse with you at this time, but I can speak for her, if you don't mind. Sir, your time here has been one of much accomplishments, and no one could fault you for wanting to rest. But, the original cause for you to read the Tempus Fugit book is still here, and the war continues. I ask, no, I will beg of you, for the good of the lives that are about to be lost in this senseless war, please come back to us and share your knowledge of what you have learned." She hopes that the sincerity of her purpose comes through clearly to the deceased man, convincing him to return to the life he has left behind.

Bren Sarabina

Bren could not help but smile at Mielikki's interference. She might say she couldn't bring Oscar back herself, but clearly there were ways she could help if she wanted to -- and she had. He looked up at her in loving awe, unable to find the words to express his thanks but knowing she could probably see it on his face (and his heart, if she looked there). His eyes widened when she informed the party that they would be the ones talking to Oscar, which he knew from rather personal experience was not usually the case. Then he nodded and stepped up. "Hello, my friend! Tis Bren Sarabina, and that is indeed Bria you hear, in the midst of casting the Reincarnate spell that will bring you back to us if you so desire." He glanced at Luna and waited while she took over the rest of the explanation, then added, "It is only fair to add that, if you come back, you will not be the same. Bria particularly wanted us to tell you that, and I know myself that dying can change a person's outlook at the very least." He sighed, but there was a smile in his voice when he continued. "Still, having said that... I can also tell you that returning to life to complete one's unfinished business can be very satisfying. Oscar, my friend, do come back to us. Highwind needs you, now more than ever, with the knowledge of what may save her locked away in your -- and only your -- mind." He looked at the others, waiting to hear what they would add and nodding encouragingly.

Last edited:
Otiorin Taletreader
HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

Otiorin approached the casket and marveled at the size of the man within. Truly was his physical stature akin to an ogre, though not as broad, nor as ugly. He cleared his throat as he thought of appropriate words to usher back the departed soul of someone he didn't even know.
"Sir, uhhm, Oscar of Highwind. I do not know you, excepting in the glowing terms of which my companions who are acquainted with you have described you. But, from their remembrances of you, they indicate that you are not a man who would leave a job of work half done, a scholar whose heart beats to the rhythm of the drum of knowledge. Your pleasure is the acquisition of written wisdom and imparting it upon others. You risked your all to save your home from war, paying this ultimate price by reading the cursed tome, but you have departed before your work was done. Now is the means of your completing this task available, you need only grasp it and return. Sir, return now and continue to impart your wisdom that all the people of Highwind shall know peace."

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

She watched them all as they approached the casket, one by one offering up words to convince a dead man to come back to life. She watched the lithe Ko monk perform her song and dance, a little captivated by her nimble movements. Herself, she remained behind, unconsciously twirling a lock of black hair behind her ear. What could she say, after all? She knew not the man, nor much about his kingdom. And while that clearly didn't stop the self-confident half-elf, his example did not encourage Nivirea to follow suit. No, she was content to watch, her green eyes narrow with focus and her mind rummaging through all the things she'd learned since the moment they arrived at Earthhome. There was certainly a lot to take in.

Still, despite the awesome event that unfolded in plain view and commanded everyone's attention, Nivirea somehow found the time to steal a few furtive glances at Mielikki when she was sure the goddess wasn't looking. So she'd been the real thing after all...

(Dungeon Master note to all: Enjoy the ride, folks! This was a fun one to write! =) Hope you like it!)

"An Unexpected Journey" by John "Galenhir" Di Bartolo of the Lonely Mountain Band. I find both his very Tolkien-ish music and title fitting, plus I just love John's music. Hope you do too. =)

There was silence from the corpse. It was as if the soul behind it was not about to interrupt but listen - and listen intently. After those Wanderers who had a say spoke, each was addressed each in turn.

"Luna Callen," Oscar's voice was rich, clear, and deep. His tone was like a fellow simply recalling facts; there seemed to be hardly any opinion in it. Each word carried certainty. "When I was Oscar... Your name, accent, and the sound of your apparent age... You must be Lord Callen's daughter of Summerset. He remains one of the most talented illusionists in the city, mayhap the entire valley. Has your older brother, Alec, returned to life? Did he follow my instructions?"

"Brendoran Sarabina!" There was a sigh of relief. "We were strong friends! I could trust you with any deed, any secret, and did. You... saved my life more than once." He mused. "Things must be dire indeed if you have returned out of the luxuries of retirement in your home of Summerset. I take it I was unable to complete my message to the grand vizier before my demise. A pity."

When Randall Flagg heard this he jumped up and down silently and fervently. He mouthed loudly at Oscar's corpse, "YOU ARE DAMNED RIGHT IT WAS!!"

"Intriguing. To the speaker with the hints of Waterwindian accent, are you elfish?" There was a pause as he-who-was-once-Oscar mused further.

Then the being-who-was-once-Oscar became silent for long moments.

"There is a great peace here, peace I never knew in life nor imagined. There is safety and contentment everlasting. You ask that I return to chaos... to risk... to uncertainty... and in the doing endanger the very possibility that I return here."

With a silent nod, the Forest Mother seemed to acknowledge the accuracy and gravity of this statement. As always, Oscar spoke no falsehoods or twisted words.

The spirit continued. "And you mention change..."

"Very well, then. I accept!"

"Stella" by the extremely-talented Andreas Vollenweider. Such a happy song!)

Bria, lost in her graceful trance, smiled brightly. It was as if those two last words were the only thing she had noticed outside of herself during the careful casting of the Reincarnate spell. Her feet nearly floating in happiness, Bria traveled to the corpse of Oscar of Highwind. There, she lay her hands upon the shell he once possessed and would never possess again. She shouted in joy.

"Aste'allo verris!"

For those that spoke Celestial, those heartfelt words meant "Life and peace!"

In response, a tremendous glow of flowery light, silvery-blue and white and altogether majestic, burst forth from Bria and into the corpse. There it stayed like a living thing. Every eye in the crowd and wagon watched. Then the glow moved slowly out to the feet of the ornate casket. There it grew and grew. Bria came out of her trance and unblinded by the light... but then she let out a sudden, unexpected gasp.

"Um, Otiorin? Friends? I realize now there's something I may have forgotten to, um, bring up..."

Cheeks flushed and fingers folded with embarrassment, the peaceful healer kept smiling. Several faces especially Flagg's turned to her, but Flagg's bug-eyed expression was the most incredulous of all. Glider alone cracked a big smile then burst out into surprised, roaring laughter when he too, the only other Ko monk present, made the cryptic connection. "Oh my stars! That's right!"

Bria looked at each of you with biggest, most-apologetic "please don't kill me!" smile you had ever seen upon her. "Umm... Reincarnate for, say, a Mielikkian druid should call for a new body that stems from Shandra's Evergreen or somewhere thereabouts. My version of the Reincarnate spell? Well... like everything Healer, it's not Averlundian. It's... from somewhere else like me." She pointed at the glow. "This means..."

"... I don't have any idea what new form Oscar is going to take except that it is from my Ko background, not Averlundian!"

"WHAT?! HOW COULD YOU?!" Flagg staggered and nearly keeled over. This time, his entourage rushed up and held him upright. "You were supposed to bring him back, not turn him into something from wherever it is you people come from!!"

"I'm sorry!! Hee hee hee!" Bria giggled uncontrollably. "I just have a really good feeling about this!"

The glow became brighter, stronger, and began to vibrate intensely. The power of the magic could be felt by all nearby; it was like an invisible wave of water unobtrusively rushing past you.

And then...

...it happened.

WHOOOOM!

A new burst of radiance appeared at the foot of Oscar's coffin, sunny and somewhat blinding to all save the Forest Mother. She looked directly into it. In doing so, she proved that even all-powerful beings were capable of experiencing surprise. "Oh!" Ladylike, she clapped one hand over her mouth as her beautiful eyes became as wide and round as moons. Then she too found reason to giggle.

"Is something the matter?" From the foot of his ornate casket came Oscar's voice. "My, I certainly feel differently than before." The glow faded, revealing the new Oscar of Highwind. There were gasps all around...

maxresdefault.jpg
(Image credit: Cute Red Panda)

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

Nivirea had watched the preparations for Oscar's reincarnation with great interest, hardly taking her eyes off Bria and the coffin. When it was done, and it became awfully apparent that Oscar was in fact brought back as a furry little animal, the young sorceress chuckled with amusement. "Oh, my. That wasn't supposed to happen, was it?" she said with a mischievous smile.

Really, someone who didn't know better might have thought, given Nivirea's body language and choice of words, that she'd been responsible for the mishap.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

A huge grin came over Bren's face when Oscar chose to return to this world of the living. He felt a bit guilty, too, for calling the good soul back from such peace and contentment. But Bren had spoken no untruths -- Highwind really did need Oscar. He wondered if the unanswered question of Otiorin's identity had anything to do with Oscar's choice? The scholar had at least his share of curiosity, after all.

Bren leaned in with the others to see just how Oscar had returned to them. As Bria had said, Reincarnate was a druid (and healer) spell, and so he'd not had any experience with it before, and only had the vague notion that it worked somewhat differently from the clerical spells that brought the dead back to life. The light cleared enough to see Oscar's new form. Bren suddenly began to laugh from pure amusement, no trace of mockery at all. "Well, old friend," he said, still smiling, "at least this way you're more mobile than you were as a platypus! Not to mention, with a bit of practice you may even manage books still!" He looked to the healer who had cast this wondrous spell. "Er, Bria? Just what is he, now?"

Luna's face opens up with a wide smile. "I'll tell you what he is! He's adorable! Oh my goodness! Just look at how cute he is! But the question does remain, what species is Oscar now? I've never seen the like before in all of my studies. Quite fascinating!"

"AIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!" *THUD!*

Just after the Wayward Wanderers' initial reaction to the truth of Oscar of Highwind's transformation, there came a loud and horrible scream followed by the sound of a body striking the earth. Randall Flagg had fainted at the sight of Oscar.

His retainers stared and sniped at one another. "By Boccob's eyes! You were supposed to catch him!" "What?! I thought you had him?!"

Mamapaw folded her hands and sighed. "Finally... Blessed silence from that overblown windbag."

"Oh, my. That wasn't supposed to happen, was it?" she said with a mischievous smile.

"Nope, nope, nope!" Bria giggled.

Luna's face opens up with a wide smile. "I'll tell you what he is! He's adorable! Oh my goodness! Just look at how cute he is! But the question does remain, what species is Oscar now? I've never seen the like before in all of my studies. Quite fascinating!"

"Luna's right! Oscar! You are soooo cuuuuute! Oscar, you are now a..." But the peaceful healer stared spellbound by all of that fluffy fine fur, the wittle bitty paws, and those dark teenee eyeballs. Bria's smile slowly turned into the eager grin of a five-year-old as her fingers opened wide and reached for him.

Oscar politely raised his paw and opened his mouth to speak, but Bria whirled, her long brown hair flashing in the wind as she suddenly turned her back to him. "No, no," she quivered and took a deep breath. "Yes, I must respect the dignity of all living creatures. I can do this... I can--"

Then Bria exploded...

"OH, I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! EEEEEE!!" Bria spun about and caught Oscar up in her arms and off of his casket. She cuddled and cooed and made cute little girly squeaks as she pranced about with him. Oscar's expression was one of surprise at first, but it soon turned into a tiny smile that seemed to say, "I have been snatched up and whirled around by a Bria! How very nice!"

Luna found Bria standing right in front of her with a small dust cloud behind her. She seemed to be rapidly gibbering, "LunaCanYouMakeMeAWizardPlease? IWantOscarHereAsMyFamiliarAndOnlyWizardsGetFamiliarsPleaseI'llHealWhomeverYouWant..."

Oscar raised his paw again.

From Luna's shoulder, Sparkle loomed. Instead of telepathy, the pseudo-dragon spoke clearly. "Healer, that is not how familiars work..."

"But it's Sharseya! Anything can happen in Sharseya!"

Powerpaw stepped forward, his tail swishing back and forth quickly. He scratched his head with his claws. "Uh, Bria? Sumbuddy smack you in da face wif a Crazy Stick? You'se actin' funny!"

Bria turned to all of you. "Otiorin! Bren! Somebody! Help me, guys!" she grinned and shivered. "I have a problem!"

From Bria's grasp, Oscar of Highwind looked about and quietly raised his paw a third time.

Luna can barely contain her smile as she watches Bria gush over the new form that Oscar now has. "Bria! Deep breath! Now focus for a moment. I understand that you are excited, but the rest of us don't know what creature that Oscar has been returned to us as. Can you please tell us what you know about it? Now, Oscar, this is the first time that I have ever dealt with someone that has gone through a reincarnation like this. Do you still have the memory inside you of how to end the war? It would be terrible to go through all of this and have lost that key knowledge."

Otiorin Taletreader
HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

Otiorin blinked twice as he watched the last of the Healers go about the complicated gyrations of the spell she wove. He could sense the delicate balance of the magical forces she was sculpting with every sinuous wave of her hand, every dainty step of her feet and every roll of her hips. One misstep, one wrong gesture, and the whole thing would come undone. And that outcome would certainly not be wanted. As the spell ended and Oscar of Highwind's new form became apparent, Otiorin fought to keep his features straight. He was failing, so he set about rubbing the underside of his nose to conceal the smirk of amusement that played across his lips.
He watched Bria cavort with the tiny red-furred creature and paused, eyebrow cocked in query as Bria finally indicated she had a problem.
"My dear Bria, I am ever at your disposal for any problems you have."

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

Bren shook his head, smiling, and reached for the much-smaller-and-furrier Oscar. "Here, let me." If the healer permitted, he placed Oscar on his own shoulder and kept a hand on him to keep him from falling. "Now then. You wanted to say something, my friend?"

Bria of the Ko stared wide-eyed at Luna. She took a deep breath and then spoke to both Luna and Oscar. "Oscar is a red panda now - a talking red panda; this is odd because they are jungle animals. Red pandas are playful and peaceful bear-like creature that's really good at climbing, foraging for vegetables, and..." she clutched Oscar to her chest fiercely, "...being so irresistibly cuuuuute!"

She turned to her half-elf, her pretty face a jumble of emotions. "Otiorin!" she whispered. "I... I don't think I can let go of him! I haven't held one since I was really little and well... something in me seems to have slipped! Could you cast a spell on me or something, please?"

Meanwhile, Oscar of Highwind did not seem to mind any of this. He knew who Bria was. Instead, he thought but a moment. Then he looked up to Bria and spoke. For such a small creature, his rich clear voice may as well have come from a giant. "Bria?"

"Yes, Mr. Cuddly?"

Oscar grinned for the span of a heartbeat. "It is not me you cannot let go of but your own childhood. It makes you what you are and red pandas are apparently a deep-rooted symbol of your happier times."

"Oh!" That made Bria pause, for Oscar had, once again, struck the proverbial hammer right on the nail.

Bren shook his head, smiling, and reached for the much-smaller-and-furrier Oscar. "Here, let me." If the healer permitted, he placed Oscar on his own shoulder and kept a hand on him to keep him from falling. "Now then. You wanted to say something, my friend?"

Brendoran was able to pull Oscar from the peaceful healer with little trouble now, but instead of having to look slightly up at Oscar, Brendoran found himself looking at equal height into those little black eyes. Reincarnation had not changed those marvelous eyes, filled with immense knowledge far beyond the reach of so many. Oscar examined his new perch with care. Bren's shoulders, always wide and ready to hold up a good cause, were an easy place to for Oscar to sit comfortably.

"Thank you, Bren. Now to the most pressing matter at hand." Oscar raised his chin in a stately manner. He spoke to all of you while taking measures to include Mielikki in his every word. "As I was proclaiming before I was so suddenly taken from this world, there is a solution to ending the war for Highwind in our favor..."

"Tapio, the God of Hunters, must physically return to Sharseya."

Heya friends!

In Adventurers' Table, you may roll Knowledge: Religion or Knowledge: Nature or both. The following applies:
If you have 10 or more ranks in either, you need not roll and are automatically successful.
If your character worships Mielikki, you need not roll and are automatically successful.
If your character has a woodland class (Ranger or Druid) add +2 to the roll.
If your character comes from Highwind or its immediate surroundings (not Summerset or beyond), add +1 to your roll.
Lastly, please provide which color d20 you would like to use and I will continue to use that die as your default in all rolls until you declare otherwise. See Shop Talk for dice colors (we did this in Robotech: Broadsword, but I don't believe we've done it here yet).
Good luck!

Why couldn't the solution be something easy, like buying a gift basket for the leaders of the opposing side? But nooooo! We need to find some way for this God to be brought back from wherever he or she is currently located and get back to Sharseya. Luna lets out a brief sigh as she tries to recall any information that she has in her head about Tapio.

Nivirea, Otiorin, Luna, and Brendoran had all heard pieces the murky tale at some point during their adventuring careers, perhaps in whispered corners of some dark tavern or across the crackling fires of a campfire among trusted allies - Tapio, the brave defender of the forest and Mielikki's husband, had fallen from Sharseya nearly as quickly as he had come.

Tapio, Finnish God of Forest and Game.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

Tapio was the God of the Hunt. Those who chased great game in the forest paid him homage for his animals were sacred. To fail to earn his favor meant he could take away those animals forever while earning his favor meant chances at the hunts of a lifetime. Tapio was given to kindness and bravery and was quick to his forests regardless of the threat. To honor the forest was to honor its guardian, but to cross him was to face a brutal death.

Tapio's presence upon Averlund had not been widely known by the common townsperson or city-dweller. Few books hold his history. Instead, Tapio's name was beloved by those creatures who called the woodlands home. Sylphs and dryads danced at the mere mention of his name, brownies used his name as a cheer, while pixies and woodland sprites called upon him to ward them from evil. Mielikki was the gentle hand that provided small game to all that were green and good in Shandra's Evergreen and Tapio was the strong arm of larger game. Elk, great boars, stags, many a such fell to his skill for the brief time he held a place in Averlund.

Only the woodsfolk knew he had come and they welcomed him with open arms. Only the Druids and Rangers from Shandra's Evergreen spread his name and then in secret. That is, until the day Tapio was forced out of Sharseya by the treachery of his enemies.

Soon after the construction of his first temple, minions of Loviatar struck when Tapio's followers were drunk and sleeping after a wild celebration. The legend says his temple was destroyed and his ability to enter Sharseya from the Happy Hunting Grounds was therefore denied. Barred from the company of her dear husband, it is said Mielikki wept day and night for a month. Tapio has not been seen since that day some two years ago.

Yet this was not the end of your knowledge, for one among your number knew more...

Wolf, this is the result of your having rolled a Knowledge: Nature skill check with a total of 28! Good going!

Nivirea has had the incredible luck to briefly speak with a brownie who was present when Loviatar and her minions ambushed Tapio's followers at his temple. He mentioned being hidden in a basket while Loviatar's merciless minions ravaged the temple, but contrary to popular belief - they did not destroy the temple. Instead, the Maiden of Pain called upon the deepest, most harshest winters and with her magic, she created an ice bridge that seemed to span from Sharseya into somewhere else.

Ever since Loviatar set that bridge inside Tapio's temple, no mortal being has seen the Guardian of the Forest on Sharseya...

Luna rubs her chin, deep in thought. "So. I am not a divine caster, but I do know something of Gods. I believe that one critical thing that needs to be done is to rebuild and sanctify his temple in order to once more open the pathway for him to return. Does that sound about right to the rest of you? I would have to spend some time doing some more intensive studies to be certain, but I am thinking that would do it."

Bren Sarabina

Bren's jaw dropped. No wonder Mielikki had been so very helpful! It was her own husband's return at stake! He looked up at his chosen deity and bowed deeply. "My Lady of the Forest, for your sake and his, as well as for our own, we'll do our best." He turned to Luna when the wizardess spoke up. "I believe worshippers are also needed, but surely there are rangers and druids in Shandra's Evergreen who remember and honor his name. But..." He turned back to Mielikki, and then tilted his head at the reincarnated scholar on his shoulder. "We need not guess, I hope, with such learned folk around us. Do any here have more specific information to guide us?"

"Both of thee have the right of it," the Mistress of the Forest said. "My love's hunting lodge hath not moved from its place any more than the mountain we now stand upon. And, indeed, consecration of the highest order needs be wrought upon his sacred hold."

"Before your arrival, I had thought to venture forth myself to Tapio's temple, to right these wrongs with mine own hand, for much confidence and eagerness accompanies the newly-restored. Once the knife-wound Erythnul had dealt me was but a memory, so too in that moment had mine own wisdom faded. It was not until Saint Cuthbert came and bade me stay in Highwind and send others in mine stead that I realized the dangers that lurked in Shandra's Evergreen - dangers set with even a goddess as prey... Saint Cuthbert is not the God of Good Sense for naught..."
Fondly, Mielikki glanced up the mountainside toward Saint Cuthbert's Church-Fortress.

Then her soft yet mighty gaze fell upon all of you. "Of all companies, active and inactive, t'was thee and thine that came first and foremost to my mind. I wish you to see this through. To go where I should not. But am I not the only one with wishes held close to her heart?" She indicated Brendoran with a nudge of her chin. "A prayer from afar, given by one dear to thee not long before I sent my magic and thine pegasi riding high. That prayer contained quite a request - hath not thou a wish of thine own thou wouldst speak to me of?" Mielikki gave a little smile out of the corner of her mouth like a little girl does when she has a secret.

"And to the rest of thee..." Mielikki held out her hands and smiled to the red panda in the party. "I now bestow upon the now-furry Oscar of Highwind knowledge that he hath rightly earned. Though far from a typical adventurer, he is one nonetheless. He hath always been good to his fellow, for he is a sharer, a giver, and teacher to all who might listen. Methinks it is high time that he be further provided the ability to help his fellows rise higher."

From Brendoran's shoulder, Oscar's little black eyes shined and sparkled with star-like qualities. He gazed solemnly at Mielikki. "I see! I accept this gift and thank you with all that I am." He bowed his whiskered head in gratitude. Then, he turned to the Wayward Wanderers. He examined each of you with a blank stare. Once finished, he raised his paw, and made a proclamation.

"Wayward Wanderers, I see in you the enlightenment required to rise to your next level of greatness. Thanks to Mielikki, I am able to train each of you. I will not charge you for this, but instead hope that you will continue the good you have already done, for Highwind and all those who call on her for their continued survival. May I train you and accompany you to Tapio's Hunting Lodge on your adventure?"

Surprise! =) See Adventurers' Table if you please.

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina

Bren blushed, looking rather younger himself, but he nodded firmly and met his goddess's gaze. "Aye, my Lady of the Forest. I had indeed something I wanted to ask. I wouldn't want to delay your husband's return for it, but perhaps it will be of help in the quest..." He stopped before he started babbling in earnest. He'd expected to ask through prayers and maybe through one of Earthhome's priests, or Saberfang herself. Or had he? Given by one dear to thee, she'd said. He looked over at Shalin and Saberfang and smiled. Likely, one of them had sent up a prayer for him. And what was prayer, after all, but speaking to one's deity, even -- or perhaps especially -- if She was right here with you? He straightened his shoulders (careful not to upset Oscar's balance) and faced Mielikki with head held high (with certainty, not pride). "Yes, my Lady. It is my heart's desire, and indeed the wish of my whole being, that you would accept me as your knight and paladin." He smiled, his whole expression full of hope, awe, and respect. "I would set aside my split paths of fighter and ranger and start anew, focused wholly on my service to you and yours, if you will accept me."

Last edited:
Luna stays quiet as Bren speaks to the Goddess, her mind already off on its own to think about the books she wants to pull out as information sources about temples and how to dedicate them.

"Yes, my Lady. It is my heart's desire, and indeed the wish of my whole being, that you would accept me as your knight and paladin." He smiled, his whole expression full of hope, awe, and respect. "I would set aside my split paths of fighter and ranger and start anew, focused wholly on my service to you and yours, if you will accept me."

Mielikki, her hands clasped and surrounded by her pretty songbirds, gazed upon Bren with the fondest of smiles across her sweet lips. While the Highwind breeze stirred her incredibly-beautiful golden hair and evergreen dress, she put one finger to her lips and spoke with a voice full of the purest joy.

"Kneel, my Shield Stallion."

Hearing this, Oscar immediately leapt off of Bren's shoulder. He padded away, turned, and watched the event wholeheartedly. Star, the newly-winged Pegasus, broke from the herd and approached, his unblinking eyes held fast upon the only being he called master, Brendoran. All eyes beyond the Wayward Wanderers bore witness. None spoke lest they interrupt this special moment.

"Brendoran, dost thou know one of the most delightful benefits of being a deity? One can do this!" Mielikki raised her fingers to her mouth and blew him a kiss. Bren felt the side of his cheek warm and feel tremendously good. It was as if Bria had cast one of her healing spells upon him, but magnified a hundred-fold. Instantly, all of Bren's knowledge and experience as both a Fighter and Ranger gently melted away like ice in spring to be replaced by a foundation of power and willfulness held only by the divine. There, deep inside of Brendoran's soul, grew a tremendous sense of purpose along with the soulful means to walk the path laid out before him. Never before had there been such an inner force that had made the young Sarabina feel so incredibly good-hearted and true!

Mielikki seemed to glide before him, so graceful was her step, until she was so close he could touch her. As serious as a hurricane, the Mistress of the Hunt stared into Bren's eyes with such presence and emotion that no being present could doubt that She was anything but a heaven-born immortal. No other creature moved. The air became still. The very sun and clouds seemed to pause in the skies as if choosing to be audience to the scene.

The goddess's fingers touched Brendoran's right shoulder, then his left, and his right again. "In the name of Ukko, Tapio, and myself, I knight thee Paladin of the Hunt. I grant thee the right to act in my name, to protect, pursue, and provide for all creatures who call the wood home!"

And yet, it all seemed to hang upon one final condition... Bren's own acceptance. Here, even Mielikki would not intervene. The choice and the path was Bren and Bren's alone.

"What sayest thee?"

Bren obediently knelt at Mielikki's word, his legs moving seemingly of their own will, his eyes holding fast to her face, his whole expression and posture giving silent voice to the joy rising within him. Those blue eyes widened as he felt her power move through him and deep into his soul, altering -- not who he was -- but what he was. Or maybe "altering" wasn't the right word. Restoring? Reshaping? He was still himself, but he felt as if he were so much more now. He closed his eyes and bowed his head in respect as Mielikki's fingers tapped his shoulders in token of his knighting. At her final words, he looked up and smiled warmly. "I thank you for the honor and for your trust, Forest Lady. I will do all I may to aid you and yours, and hope to be worthy of it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back