• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Ten: Highwind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
"Song for Antarctica" by Yanni

"If this is truly not the doing of any one of you, then whose is it?"

Not hobbits nor martial artists nor Bast-made fuzzies nor scholar had any answer worth giving breath to Nivirea's question, and if the pegasi or pseudo-dragon knew, they were not telling. Yes, Sparkle was aloft, easily gliding along not far from Luna's head. She seemed to be taking the moment in both wings as it were. The rhythmic beating of the pegasi's feathered wings lulled the senses into a sense of daydreaming, for most people never saw a single pegasus in all their lives and now here all of you were experiencing nearly a dozen such fantastic creatures in flight.

As you descended through that heavenly white cloudbank, your eyes told you tales of forests and streams below you, vast and strong, swaying and flowing. But above all, there was the incredible rising peak that dwarfed all sights - a wide white city atop a tremendously grand mountain, perched like a gleaming crown atop some ancient god's brow. A river drifted lazily to its west and a great brown road in the forest climbed from south to north until the woods gave way to open plain. Not far from there was where the mountain grew and rose, majestic and beautiful.

Many winged draconic-looking creatures of blue, black, and red circled the city flying in trios. Atop these deadly-looking creatures were people of varying shapes and sizes, many human-sized to be sure, but some smaller, some larger. All flew with the aid of specially-made saddles and appeared armed with great bows of some kind. Yet at the blaring of spirited horns from one of the many towers, these creatures and riders pulled off from your approach and avoided the Adventurers' Wagon and its pegasi as you descended. All this provided you a much better look of the nation you were about to meet.

High the city rose like flowers atop the mountain. Great walls surrounded the city protectively shield-like in their vanguard.
1e29cee478170c9650c389e2b8921691.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

A church and fortress both overlooked rows and rows of large, well-kept houses.
ab3bc8150858f1edace89f082bdface0--fantasy-character-design-church.jpg

But the largest structure of all was nearly the highest atop the mountain - the palace itself!
146fbbedef1a979d653872225746.jpg
(Image credit: wattpad.com)

The heads of hundreds, perhaps, thousands of people from all different walks of life turned from their business and looked up. They looked up at you! They saw your speedy approach through the sky and you saw them - stocky humans, full-bellied hobbits, stout dwarves, towering minotaurs, strong-looking centaurs, and other creatures pointed and called and gazed up at your entrance with wonder. Armored warriors bedecked in chain mail hauberks of white and green, gently-clothed commoners dressed in bright colors, gaily-clad artisans and dancers, and finely styled nobles all wore nearly the same expression of shock and awe as you flew downward past the many structures and into the city.

The pegasi swiftly flew you below the palace... below the church-fortress... and past the houses and markets to another spot in the city, this one green and rich with life with a towering structure that seems to be a forest in itself. Bren knew this place well.

1db89d713872c37a8a4fecc967e6d686.jpg

It was here amongst a wide throng of green-clad people of many different races that the pegasi brought you. Some kind of solemn event seemed to be taking place and you were headed right towards it! The two dozen or so people gathered here turned and gaped at your oncoming arrival - and arrival it was for it was clear to all that your pegasi meant to land! An odd assortment of small animals were also in this strange crowd, but whether they had two legs or four, all of the gathered were sent scattering and shrieking and scooting from their grassy and wood-made seats as the pegasi carried the Adventurers' Wagon and all in it across that fertile grass and ground.

You landed here in a great rush as the pegasi both teamed and loose beat their massive wings furiously to bring their marvelous gait to a slow.

Glider shouted. "By all that's holy, hold on tight to something, everyone!" Bria held on tight to Otiorin, the Meadowsweets with their typical form held onto each other, and just about everyone grabbed onto something or someone. All except for graceful, smiling Sparkle who just flew along out of everyone's reach. She flew with draconic pride on the leathery wings she was born with. The same, of course, could not be said of everyone else!

KA-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP!!

The wheels of the Adventurers' Wagon touched down as smoothly as wheels of that size could and still you all rolled in like some magnificent party-crashing parade through the event. Evergreen-clad people pointed and shouted and cried out in alarm as finally your travel across the skies came to a breathtaking halt atop the chairs and seating area just recently vacated. There, at the head of the chairs, on a heaped mound surrounded by carefully-laid books and charms and tokens of love was a long ornate wooden container of rectangular shape and just above human size.

Brendoran, of course, easily recognized where he was - six months of retiring from adventuring had not dulled his memory in the slightest. But never had he landed himself here in a fashion like this!

A middle-aged human man with closely-cropped black hair in equally-black robes of mourning was the first to get his wits back. He challenged all of you with a shaking fist and a feathered wand. His voice was thin and squeaky. "By King Thayne's beard! Just what on Sharseya do you think you're doing?! The audacity! To land right in the middle of an honored one's funeral like so! Could you not have found some other place in Highwind to land this... this... menagerie?!" His face was flushed red with rage.

"Just who are you people anyway?!"

None of you recognized him, save for Brendoran, partially hid by circumstance up atop the Adventurers' Wagon with both furry Felane in front of him. He recognized this man instantly. =)

Kaerri, see our Conversation if you please. =)

What do you do? =)

Last edited:
Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 27
Fort save: +12
Ref save: +8
Will save: +4
Current action points: 9
Current HP: 87/87
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spell: Speak with Animals
Speech color, for reference
Also #3399ff

Bren let go of his handholds and jumped down, bowing respectfully to the older man, as one does to one's superiors in rank. "I'm very sorry, Grand Vizier. I hadn't realized we would be landing quite here and now -- but explanations should wait. Please excuse me while I move out of the way so that everyone can continue, and please accept our most humble apologies for the interruption." Offering another bow, this one to those who had been seated nearest the front of the funereal gathering, he walked to the front of the wagon, calling over his shoulder to Star in equine-speech, Star, keep the others out of the way while I move the wagon, please. He then went to the draft horses' (draft pegasi's?) heads, and in the same language, said gently, Back the wagon up, then turn, and move it over here. Meanwhile, he was offering the same orders in the more normal means of horsemanship - taking hold of their bridles and tapping firmly on shoulders while moving towards them to get them to back up, then directing them away from the interrupted service and into a more seemly "parking spot."

Last edited:
Luna, not being the most graceful of people, promptly falls hard on her rear end as the Wagon lands. She rolls over on her hip and rubs her backside. "Ow! Damnit, that hurt!" Of course no one else happens to fall on their ass. Good job there, Luna! Make a good impression on our newest member of the team! She makes her way to her feet, trying not to rub her tailbone and ignoring Sparkle's laughter in her head as she looks around outside. Highwind! We've finally made it! She feels the excitement building up inside her. I can't wait to check out the Library and the Mage's Hall here. I can finally start making my wand that I want!

She lets Bren do the talking to smooth over their sudden arrival at the city, apparently in the middle of a funeral procession. In the meantime, she does her best to avoid gawking like some small town rube.

...and ignoring Sparkle's laughter in her head as she looks around outside.

Sparkle the pseudo-dragon was often one to find mirth in the misfortune of the deserving; since Luna was not, she heard only this in her mind.

Are you all right, Pyri? That looked like a hard landing you just took.

...he (Brendoran) walked to the front of the wagon, calling over his shoulder to Star in equine-speech...
(Parenthesis mine)

Star inhaled sharply. Then he let the breath puff out of his nose creating a pleasurable "purring" sound Bren has long been familiar with; Bren has made Star happy by asking for his assistance with the other equines and the warhorse-become-pegasi was eager to show his skill. Tromping up to the others, Star immediately took command in both stance and action. He neighed once to get the others' attention.

From then on, what he seemed to communicate was followed by the herd, for none opposed or questioned him, even the entire team of massive draft pegasi each of whom were larger and stronger than Star. It was Star's iron will, ability to lead, and forwardness in the matter that seemed to get the Adventurers' Wagon moved safely out of the way.

The Adventurers' Wagon dominated the courtyard. More than a few green-clad people of differing races went fleeing into the marvelous and majestic woodland dwelling that grew so large as to dwarf all present, wagon included. Shouts of "Mother! Fetch the Mother!" went up as feet dashed inside those great green halls. Three of this number approached Star and spoke with him as if they knew his language well. It became quickly apparent that these people wanted the wagon moved to a particular spot on the edge of the courtyard and were willing to let Star lead the way there.

The peaceful healer in your group stepped lightly off the wagon and into the flowery grass below. "Oh, it's so good to be back here! I've missed this holy haven and its kind people so much!" Several of these people waved in Bria's direction. She waved back. Bria then paused and looked up to the rest of the Wayward Wanderers save for Bren. "This is Earthome! Mielikki's strongest dwelling in all of Shandra's Evergreen, maybe in all of Averlund!"

"So..." Mamapaw who was also Melshaef padded forward curiously as any feline. "This is beautiful Mielikki's growing grounds! Incredible! This whole place seems have grown straight out of the ground!"

"And so it was! From a single magical seed! There is no other place like it in Highwind! This whole city is full of mysterious and fantastic things like this!"

"Highwind, huh?" Powerpaw's blood-red eyes looked all about the city. He nodded with a toothy grin. "I could get ta like dis place..."

"I'm very sorry, Grand Vizier. I hadn't realized we would be landing quite here and now -- but explanations should wait. Please excuse me while I move out of the way so that everyone can continue, and please accept our most humble apologies for the interruption."

Grand Vizier Randall Flagg of Highwind gasped loudly and turned to Bren with the most surprised expression the young Sarabina had ever seen on the often-expressive wizard. His black-robed entourage followed him in gawking and pointing as if finding Brendoran's return to Highwind even more incredible than the wagon he and his fellows flew in on.

"Count Sarabina!!" Flagg shrieked. "Now is the hour you decide to return to our blessed city?! By all the gods!" He clutched his chest and reeled. Several of his followers rushed up to catch hold of him lest he fall to the green ground. "Get off of me you bothersome oafs!" he bopped them back with his cane and back they went obediently. The looks in their faces spoke of true care for the older man despite his harsh tone.

"But my lord!"

"Back with you! I am FINE, I say!" he verbally gashed them. "Just fine! Do you hear me?! I am fine, fine, Fine, Fine, FIIIIIINE!!" he wept.

"Count Sarabina," Flagg wailed at Brendoran, "where have you been?!" Trembling with sadness, his wits flown, he reached up and touched Bren's collar with his free hand. Tears burst from eyes half-mad with grief. "You could have done something about this! You could have told him not to! You and your party might have pulled off another one of your unbelievable miracles and stopped this before it happened! Instead Highwind might be doomed!" It was not a statement a man like him made lightly.

Bria of the Ko could not restrain her curiosity. She bolted forward to Bren's side and placed her hand warmly upon the mighty wizard's forearm. He paused and softened a moment at her kindness. In her excitement, Bria fumbled her words. "Mister Flagg sir! I mean, Mister Grand Flagg Vizier of Highwind your Highnessness, sir! What do you mean? Stopped what?"

Flagg gasped and quaked. He looked at each one of you with an expression of the purest shock. Lastly, he gaped at Bren, half-accusingly, half-pleadingly. He shouted. "Do my ears deceive me?! Have you all just arrived this moment knowing naught?!" Flagg dropped his cane and grabbed Bren's armor with both hands and shook it until it rattled.

Staring Bren in the face, he roared, "Can it be that you are the only people in the entire city that have failed to learn?! Oscar of Highwind is dead!!"

With a cry and tear-filled eyes, Flagg released Bren and stabbed his gnarled finger at the long ornate casket there lain reverently above the trinkets and books. A moment of oddness passed as Brendoran's own senses noted now that indeed the human-sized casket did look a bit longer and taller than most...

Luna frowns. Why does that name sound so familiar? I know I've heard it before... But who was he? "Bren? Bria? Please tell me, who was this man, and why does his death weigh so heavily on the people of Highwind?"

Otiorin Taletreader
HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

Otiorin stepped down from the wagon with all the ease of an Elf and walked silently and solemnly in Bria's shadow once he'd understood the ceremony taking place. It had originally confused him, since he had never experienced a human funeral. The solemn, tearful onlookers were alien to him, as was the large casket that stood so prominent before the congregation. Elven ceremonies of death were much different affairs. Of course, there was solemnity, but the day was more about the memories and achievements of the deceased. And, of course, the body was cremated on a pyre within one of the temples and the ashes gathered and returned to their family.

Oscar of HIghwind?, Otioron wondered to himself. The name was vaguely familiar, mentioned some time past in conversation between the denizens of the Grand Wagon. But the significance escaped the Half-Elf.

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

She had kept back and hugged the wall, staring silently across the pegasi at their final destination. She had recognized the city right away; after all, it could be none other than the fabled Highwind. The tall structures of the city passed them by fast, farther as they went, making the plunge down to the top of the great tree where they finally came to a halt. The landing left her none the worse for wear - in fact, she suffered it gracefully. At least in comparison to some of the others.

It was clear from the outset that something was not well here, beside their sudden intrusion. But unlike Bren, she knew nothing of the place and these people, so she kept wisely quiet and busied herself with making herself presentable. Loose tresses of her long black hair were brought into order, her robes readjusted and smoothed down. The movements had been instinctual enough for her not to have to devote any real attention to them, instead being able to focus on what was going on around her.

She'd initially followed Bren, but held back when he was approached by the middle-aged man that was apparently in charge. She ended up standing next to Luna, waiting patiently while the mage asked the same questions that were on her own mind.

Bren Sarabina
Speech color, for reference: #3399ff

Bren's jaw dropped. For a moment, he could only stare at the older man. The sting of unshed tears in his own eyes pulled him out of the shock of hearing this sudden news, and he shook his head, passing his hand over his face. "I didn't... We only just... I've been in Summerset, I only left a few days ago." He shook his head again, trying to focus on something other than the new ache of losing a friend. Luna's questions provided such a focus, and he half-turned to answer her. "Oscar is... was... perhaps the most intelligent, most learned man I have ever met. He was devoted to Highwind and to the king and queen, and was a valued advisor. And a good friend. His loss will be felt by many." Bren turned back to Flagg with questions of his own. "Mielikki bless, what happened? What was he trying to do? And what, if anything, can we do to help?"

Bria let out an anguished cry and buried her head in Otiorin's chest. She stayed there while Bren spoke. Then those soft brown eyes looked to Brendoran and saw that he was in pain too. Unable to ignore it, Bria reached out to Bren and put her arm around his back in a way that told the warrior he was not alone.

Still her tears fell, but she would not see a friend like Bren alone in this darkest of moments. She turned to Otiorin and the others and said, "Dear compassionate, thoughtful Oscar... um... was reputed to be the scholar of all scholars in Highwind. And perhaps beyond! He was this big super-tall sweetheart who was constantly unraveling mystery after mystery. He used his mind to help Highwindians from all walks of life, almost like... like..."

"Like an addiction?" Grand Vizier Randall Flagg put one hand through his black and gray hair (the grays were showing much more than they normally did). He stared at the casket with a combination of the greatest of admiration and the utmost confusion. "Think on this. Some poets are thought fondly of for knowing phrases and songs by the dozens, word for word. Celebrated professors all over Averlund are applauded for reciting entire chapters of some famous book or another. But Oscar... Oscar of Highwind memorized perfectly entire books!" The look on Flagg's face showed no hint of exaggeration.

"Word for word, sentence for sentence, chapter after chapter! We would catch him sitting in the sunlight as if daydreaming! His hand occasionally rising to turn some page only he could see!" He pulled a handkerchief from his robe and snorted into it. "Do you understand? Oscar was a living encyclopedia and riddle-solver - the best in this age!"

Flagg wrung his hands and whirled upon Bren. "And he had the answer, Count Sarabina! He had discovered a surefire way to end the war in Highwind! And then he died! He bet his life on getting us the answer and lost in the betting!"

"But how?!" Bria cried.

Flagg gritted his teeth in rage. "Somehow... some way... he got his big hands on the Tempus Fugit!"

The Tempus Fugit! This popular example of arcane folly was known to adventurers around the continent, including the Wayward Wanderers save for the Felane. The very learning of its actual existence possessed the power to rock the minds of any arcanist present, wizards especially. For the Tempus Fugit was an artifact, mystery, and lesson all rolled into one. Its existence was thought by many to be unproven or a hoax. But the legend remained - for whomever read the codex from front to back completely would find the answer to any single question - but to read the book meant death!

Legend had it that every word written aged the reader by a minute. Every sentence an hour. Every paragraph a month and every page a year until finally, the reader died of old age at the end! But they died enlightened, their question answered fact-fully and completely.

So the mystery of the book was this - how to gain the answer without dying? Why read a book in the first place if it was going to kill you? Entire conclaves of the scholarly and wise had gathered to find answers to arguments like these.

Flagg continued. "And what do you think he did with it? Well, he read the damned thing of course!" Flagg fumbled about like a doddering ancient. "We were in the palace study, the big one, when in walks Oscar, Tempus Fugit in hand, and looking about a century old! Shuffling and bumbling along. Naturally, we rushed to him as quickly as we could. When we saw what he carried, we were beyond astonishment, but this we had to parry aside, for Oscar was trying to tell us something dearly important!"

"His last words were, 'Hark! The War of Highwind can be won with the return of...'" Flagg threw his hands up. "And that was it! He croaked right there! With Highwind's deliverance on his lips! Gods above, what is to become of us?!"

Bria pondered. "This is all so awful, What magic did you use afterward?"

"What magic, you ask?" Flagg seemed insulted by the very question. "All of it, of course! We questioned every cleric, high priest, bishop, archbishop, paladin, knight, wizard, archmage, sorcerer, scholar, bard, rogue, and expert we had on the subject! They came and cast and used everything they had! Speak With Dead went out the window - his soul was gone to whatever plane it crossed to already! Raise Dead? Resurrection? All of those types of spells failed instantly for if the soul is departed, he cannot be raised! Commune! Contact Other Planes! You name it, we tried it! We have done everything short of a Wish or Miracle that we could think of! It all happened a week ago to the day! Why, oh why could you have not arrived sooner?"

All this made Bria pause and think. She wept still, but she put those thoughts aside as her mind raced with wonders and thoughts of solutions.

"Uh, hay wizzy-face? Didya mebbe try a healer?" Powerpaw pointed a claw at Bria.

"A what?" Flagg stood stock-still for a moment as he gazed up at the two large exotic cat-creatures standing atop the Adventurers' Wagon. He was not aware that they were able to speak. "A healer you say? Some sort of cleric, I take it? Oh, come now! This is not the time for humor! What good is a healer going to do when the subject is past all healing?! Dead is dead!"

"Um," Bria raised a finger. "I'm a healer, sir. Would you mind if I tried my way?"

Flagg spun, his robes whirling. He sized Bria up and glanced at the rest of the Wanderers. "You want to take a peek in his casket? Ask your party leader, not me! It is not like you can make things worse!"

Bria looked up to Bren. Even with silent with a tear-stained face, Bria unconsciously managed to look cute somehow. She asked Bren for such permission with her hopeful expression rather than use words.

Luna looks about her companions, then looks to Flagg. "Is it possible that he is not truly dead? That would explain why so many divination and Resurrection spells failed. IF his soul has not departed his body, those castings would not work. Please, give Bria a chance to work her own healing magics on him. If there is any chance that it will work, it must be tried. Not only to save the life of such a scholar as this man, but all the lives that can be saved by avoiding further warfare."

Flagg considered Luna's theory, then replied. "Yes, yes, we thought about that too. Oscar is most definitely dead, the Tempus Digit and its legend appear in every way true, and with his soul departed, he cannot be raised."

"Every conceivable authority in Highwind that we could reach has agreed that Oscar has passed on."

Then he heard Luna's request and was flabbergasted. "You ask my permission for your little friend here to examine Oscar's remains after I have just told you to approach your party leader for the same? Is something wrong with your ears?"

Then Flagg turned to Brendoran as if to ask, "Is she always this way?"

Again the ten men and women in the grand vizier's entourage, all dressed in black robes as he was, inched forward and attempted to console their spirited leader. Unfortunately for them, he sensed their approach.

"FINE, I tell you!!"

At this rebuke, they cringed, balked, and retreated quietly back.

Meanwhile, Powerpaw looked to his mother. "Hay, Mom? Izn't dere sumtin' you can do?"

Mamapaw was wearing the sad expression she often wore when she was deeply worried. "Death and its customs, my son, seem to work quite differently here than in our homeland of Shamballa. Who am I to confront Anubis if this man went willingly with him across the river to depart this life?"

"Uh, yeah. It makes senses when you puts it dat way."

The others upon the Adventurers' Wagon slowly began to make their way down to the soft greenery encompassing Earthome, for the wonders here were many. But Bria just slowly looked back and forth between Bren and Oscar's casket.

"It doesn't make sense to me, Fuzzy Goof. If Oscar had a message of such great importance, one he was willing to risk or perhaps end his life for, why would his soul not remain here long enough to tell someone before he departed for the afterlife? That's not like dear Oscar at all!"

Bria shook her head. Her long brown hair tossed about for a moment as she continued to ponder.

Bren Sarabina

Bren rubbed his face with one hand and tried to think through the unexpected grief. Flagg's insistence on Bren making the call didn't surprise him; the grand vizier was making sure someone other than him got the blame if this went horribly wrong. On the other hand, Bren knew, Flagg would likewise give credit where it was due, if this went wonderfully right. Shifting his thoughts back to the matter at hand, he replied to Luna and Bria, "Surely the creators of the Tempus Fugit were aware of such resurrection spells as clerics have access to. They may have crafted the enchantment so as to avoid anyone counteracting of the price for completing the book. I know Oscar. Bria's right, he would never have willingly passed on with the answer unrevealed, knowing that there are those in the city who could contact him even beyond death. He would have remained where they could reach them, if it were within his power." He sighed. "That means it wasn't within his power to stay, and that probably means something in the enchantment sent his soul to its destination."

Bren nodded at Bria. "However... healers aren't clerics, and they aren't nearly so common. If that was the case when the Tempus Fugit was created as well, then there's a chance its creators didn't plan against them." He took one Bria's hand in both of his; as much for his comfort and hope as for hers. "Please, Bria, do what you can, and may Mielikki bless your efforts."

(Dungeon Master note to all: Time to let the cat out of the bag [and I don't mean Powerpaw!]!). =)

"Come By the Hills" by Loreena McKennitt (because the beauty in this this song is just so fitting here!). =)

Bria was nodding along and turning toward Oscar's casket when Bren said this...

"...and may Mielikki bless your efforts."

Just at that moment, a flock of songbirds suddenly rushed over and between the Wayward Wanderers. They tweeted and chirped, soared and shot past toward the flerd of pegasi, and in all this lovely ruckus came a woman's voice, as bright and as cheery as the morning dawn.

"May she indeed!"

There was a shining burst like a star being born and there she was, dressed in gossamer gown, with long golden hair and eyes strong with unearthly wisdom surrounded by a host of happy birds... Mielikki, the Forest Mother, Goddess of the Wood! Hers was a presence far beyond that of mortal women of all kinds. In comparison, mortal beauties were like the prettiest of flowers in the grass while Mielikki might as well have been the great glowing sun born to nourish them all. Here before you!

DM Note #2 - My pardon if this picture does not show up correctly. The colors seem reversed on my computer. Please right-click it and do a Google search for the picture and I'll try to fix it when I return home today.
DM Note #3 - Fixed! Thanks again for the help, Kaerri! =)
Mielikki dnd.jpg
Image credit: Liste des Dieux : par panthéon)

"Good day!" she chimed as if arriving thusly among mortals were the most normal thing ever.

Last edited:
Luna has never been an extremely religious person. If she were, she would have become a cleric. But, she knew of the gods and the power that they all possess, and was willing to occupy herself with an occasional prayer to Boccob. But when suddenly confronted by the Forrest Mother herself in person, Luna had no real idea of what to do.

Staring for a moment, she finds herself dropping to her knees with her head bowed low. Can't go wrong with a response like that.

Bren Sarabina

Bren gasped in awe and wonder as his chosen deity appeared before them. Almost without realizing it, he sank to one knee and bowed his head, his heart full of more emotions than he could describe, even to himself. After a moment, her words sank in, and he quickly replied, "Ah, good day--" my lady? my goddess? How does one address a deity in person? "--Forest Mother. How may we be of service?" Despite his bowed head, he kept sneaking glances at her, unable to keep his eyes down when her glory was here for all to see.

The young sorceress was stoic, almost impassive, as she quietly listened in. Only the mention of the Tempus Fugit caused her eyes to spark with real interest, but still she said nothing. What would be the purpose? She had naught to offer in a situation like this, nothing at all that would benefit the late wizard or the city he had died trying to save. So she waited, relaxed and patient, until Mielikki arrived in all her sudden glory.

The girl stood perfectly still in shock at first, mouth gaping open with disbelief. She stared at the radiant figure before her, while some remote part of her mind was telling her how good it was that she'd finished making herself presentable, because one certainly had to look one's best when faced with a goddess. Eventually though, she did gather her wits about her - but did not follow Luna's or Bren's example. Instead, she seemed to study the otherworldly woman with something like scepticism, as if the whole thing might be a hoax.

"Forest Mother?" she repeated carefully after Bren, sounding neither reverent nor disrespectful. "As in Mielikki, the Goddess of the Wood?" Her eyes narrowed at her, looking up from where Luna was worshiping. Her body language told that she wasn't entirely convinced.

At Mielikki's appearance, the pegasi lowered their heads in near-unison. This began with Star - who had never lowered his head to any being save Brendoran - and with his motion did the rest of the flerd follow. Evergreen-clad Mielikkians wearing all manner of attire also bowed, many of them sighing in relief and joy for these were of the crowd that had called out for "Mother!" when the Wayward Wanderers had arrived on their magical wagon. Their very nearness to the Mistress of the Forest seemed to bolster their spirits in ways that few other things of the world had the power to.

So too those in attendance for Oscar of Highwind's funeral, an entourage now peeking out from behind safe places, all dressed in black and gray like the grand vizier. They bowed their heads and knelt reverently, Randall Flagg included.

It was Mielikki's only present druidess that had the most extreme of reactions to the goddess's sudden appearance.

"Marvelous Mielikki!" Mamapaw leaped upwards in surprise, claws extended. Like a girl, she latched onto the nearest living thing, Powerpaw's furry bicep, and bounced with wide-eyed joy. "It is Mielikki! Son! Look! It is her! It is really her! I cannot believe it!"

"Moooooooom!!" Powerpaw struggled and cried, trying to get his arm back and failing from her two-pawed grip. "What da face! Get control'a yerself! Wat's gotten inta you?! I haz never seens you like dis!!"

"Son," she smiled, "there before you lies the reason you and I are together in this strange land! When I prayed, Blessed Bastet guided me to Mielikki and she guided me to you!"

"Wha?" Powerpaw relaxed. His blood-red gaze turned toward the goddess in awe.

Bria remained standing, hands clasped. She glanced up once to Otiorin with the greatest of fondness before she waved to the goddess of Shandra's Evergreen and beyond. "It's really her! It's so good to see her on her feet once more!"

"Ah, good day--" my lady? my goddess? How does one address a deity in person? "--Forest Mother. How may we be of service?" Despite his bowed head, he kept sneaking glances at her, unable to keep his eyes down when her glory was here for all to see.

Mielikki put her hand over her breast. She walked toward Bren, her evergreen gossamer gown flowing in the wind along with her long blonde hair. The act of simply watching her walk was mesmerizing - for no mortal creature, living or dead, possessed such unearthly grace. Hers was a goodly beauty both breathtaking and captivating.

"Service to me?"

She giggled and dozens of people around her could not help but feel their hearts lightened by that single sound. "Brendoran the Shield Stallion and Bria Goodheart," she used their names as Forest Friends, "hast thou not been the brightest of stars already?" She looked lovingly to Bren. "Was it not your leadership that brought foul-hearted Cainus of Erythnul finally dead unto Saint Cuthbert's own throne and out of Highwind? Was it perhaps another Brendoran whose fellowship did save the very king of this land so that darkest shadow would not condemn all, my Earthome included?" She put her finger to her lips. "Was it not the son of Sarabina who gave his experience, indeed, his very life-force that I might walk Sharseya again under mine own power?"

She turned to Bria. "And thee? Pray provide me the name of the Last Healer who hath crossed time and dimensions to stave off the worst of devils that Sharseya's Evergreen might not fall to his depravity? Hast thou not provided the unmistakable light of hope to every Highwindian she hath met, aiding adventurer and commoner alike including mine own in the absence of the Circle of Druids? Is there another cheery-eyed, walnut-haired lass of such bright heart that she, like Bren, gave unto me her own life essence that I might return and do as I do?"

Mielikki regarded them both happily. "Methinks I hath the right pair of adventurers before me. And I hath a mind to be of some service to thee!"

Grand Vizier Randall Flagg could not help but rise and open his hands in plea. "Mistress of the Forest, then why not return Oscar to us?! This is the hour in which we have need of him like never before!"

Mielikki closed her eyes. "Despite told tales by ye mortals, we gods cannot save thee against thine most crushing of enemies - thine own folly."

Flagg's face fell.

"What Oscar hath done he hath done of his own free will. A mortal decision."

"Does this mean you cannot help us?"

Now Mielikki turned her face heavenward and burst into lovely laughter. "Randall!" she waved, "are thine eyes gone blind as not to see the stalwart pegasi that hath brought these intrepid adventurers to this very place?"

Flagg looked around as if he had just made a very large mistake.

"What mortals hath done might be undone... but theirs are the hands that must perform the undoing..."

With this, Mielikki turned to the Wayward Wanderers. There was a cunning look in her eye and a silent hope in her smile. "Canst thou face Death once again or is Oscar of Highwind truly gone forever?" With a nod, she indicated Oscar's casket.

Bria, all too willing to try, turned and walked toward that long and lonely container. Once there, she paused and looked to each of you, "Um, would you help me?"

Luna is somewhat taken aback at how the Goddess knows Bren and Bria personally. Somewhat jealous, too. Its not like Boccob knows her by name, does he? Someday, I will accomplish a great task like they did. Something so wondrous that the whole world will know my name! But, in the meantime, perhaps I can start on that epic quest here. "I don't know much of healing, or of the ways of Gods, but I do know that if there is a way to stop the bloodshed of this war and I do nothing to help bring that to pass, I could never live with myself. What can I do?"

Otiorin Taletreader

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

While Otiorin did not know Oscar in the way Bren and Bria obviously did, he could not but be compelled by the heart-rending sobs that issued from the woman who captivated his heart. As she pressed herself to him, he enfolded her in his arms, with enough strength to support her, but no so much as to make her feel smothered. When she pulled away to comfort Bren, he released her but kept a hand on her shoulder to let her know he was close. At the notion of Bria attempting to aid the deceased man, he nodded supportively. If anyone could perform miracles of that nature, he was sure it was Bria.
At that moment, Mielikki made her appearance and Otiorin initially could do little but stare at the divine being that had manifested before the assembled mortals. But, his wits swiftly returned, and he took his cue from the Wanderers' leader and swiftly took a knee. He tried not to peek a glimpse at the goddess, worried that She might consider him impertinent for staring. It felt like an age as he knelt, listening to that lovely voice speaking to those around Her before he heard an even lovelier voice. He raised his head to gaze at his own personal goddess and answered her question thus, "I promised you that I would give you my all. Take from me whatever you need, I shall not hold anything back."

Bren Sarabina

Bren blushed furiously at the goddess's praise. "Aye... well... It wasn't just me, of course. Well, except that last, I suppose...anyway." He ran a hand over his head, smoothing his hair into place, and just listened for a moment while trying to regain his composure. Mielikki's words about the pegasi sent his gaze to the winged horses, with a particular smile for Star, then back to his goddess with renewed hope in his eyes. "My Lady of the Forest, you know how often I've faced death. I'm more than willing to do so again for Oscar's sake, and all the more if Highwind's fate is in the balance." He followed Bria to the casket and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Whatever you need, I'm here for you," he told her quietly.

Luna is somewhat taken aback at how the Goddess knows Bren and Bria personally. Somewhat jealous, too. Its not like Boccob knows her by name, does he?

"Luna! Sparkle!" Mielikki called with her sunshine grin. "Wilt thou not ask for Nivirea's fair hand in this too? And what of Powerpaw and Mamapaw? They hath not a blessed lass as Bria to cuddle their hearts as Otiorin hath!"

Sparkle looked right at Luna and sent. Pyri, did you mention our names to her because I surely did not!

Powerpaw tried to motion toward Oscar's casket but his bright-eyed mother pulled him along with only one destination in mind. "Oh, of course! But first..."

"MOooooOOM!"

So smitten was Mamapaw's inner kitten, she failed to notice her son's protests. "Mielikki! You... you just must meet my little kitling! This is Powerpaw! He is the reason I came all this way to Averlund!"

Mielikki curtsied with a delightful grace that would have shamed the finest mortal dancer. "Blessed is the hour of our meet, ferocious son of Bastet!"

(Dungeon Master note: This is mostly set here for the humor and to get this little tale out of my head. For those interested in an amusing conversation between these three, read on.)

Powerpaw gawked. While fear was an emotion completely unknown to him, embarrassment and confusion were not. This was a goddess and a western one at that. Powerpaw knew only one thing for certain - Mielikki was never a name he had heard in the Egyptian pantheon of his origin. "Maaaaam! What iz I supposed to sez?!"

"Anything, son!" she spoke reverently. "Just open yourself and let your heart give voice as it will."

Oooookiiieeees! Haz it your waaaay! thought the furry gladiator. Powerpaw reached back and drew forth his maul. The nearby Mielikkians gasped in unison at the sight of a clearly mighty creature drawing upon their holiest of beings, but Mielikki did not seem to mind in the slightest. Powerpaw's blood-red eyes danced in anticipation.

"Hay, Likki! You wanna play a game'a Hammer Smacks?!"

"POWERPAW!!"

"Whaaat?! You sed open my face an' sez wha's in my heart!"

Mamapaw reeled drunkenly. "You- you don't just ask--"

"MoooOOoom, if anybuddy knows what's comin' outta my face aroun' here, iz you!" He turned back to Mielikki. "Da rules iz simple! We both gets a hammer an' den we go aroun' smackin' yer enemies in da face! Every face-smack you get gets ya a point! Every miss or hit somewhere else gets ya nuffin'! But if ya smack 'em really good, den dat's called a Goosh! Gooshes iz worth dubble-points!"

The Mistress of the Forest leaned forward, one finger on her lips. She seemed intrigued. "And the score to best?"

Powerpaw flexed. She was interested! "Aw, dat depends on da number of faces! I figures you haz so many enemies dat we kin really get a high score goin'!! Whaddya say, Likki?"

Mamapaw shrieked. "You can't call her Likki!"

"An' why not?"

"Be-- because... that is not... not proper, that is why! Call her Mielikki!"

"Mom, you clonked yer bonkers?! She ain't my Likki! Mebbe she's yer Likki or her own Likki! She's so pretty she's gotta be sumbuddy's Likki, dat's fer sure! Kin I call her 'Likki-face?'" He turned back to the blonde-haired goddess. "So who's Likki iz you anywayz?"

Mielikki was truly amused. She had never before met a creature quite like this. Her reply was instant. "My husband's!"

"Seeeee, Mom?! Dere you haz it! I doezn't see wat da fuss iz all abouts!"

"Powerpaw," Mielikki offered softly, "while whirling hammers and bloodstained foes be not my mainstay, there doth exist a god who desires both - and he hath been playing his own game of Hammer Smacks for century upon century! Countless are the giants and devil-hearted fiends he hath felled upon blasted battlefields across the ages!"

Hearing this, Powerpaw's mouth dropped open as if he were struck dumb. His eyes bulged and whiskers and tail rose. His requesting squeak was kitten-like. "Moooar?"

"Seek thou Thor, Norse God of Thunder! The Odinson! His fabled hammer, Mjolnir, hath laid many a foul and wicked face low. Speak unto him of thine game - methinks he will accept with a smile!" Mielikki added one of her own.

"Thor, huh? Dat rhymes wif.... Moooooar! Oooohhh! Tanks, lady!" Powerpaw stood there while his mother jumped in and began her long-winded praise to her goddess. While the sparkle in Mamapaw's eyes had burned long and bright for the goddess before her, her son's now held a new shine of their own inspired by the Forest Mother.

"Mielikki!" his mother chided.

"Dat's whut I saids! 'Likki!'"

With a frustrated growl, Mamapaw turned to her second goddess and began her conversation anew. Mielikki, surrounded by her colorful dancing songbirds, could not help but listen and smile. Felane were such curious creatures.

*​

He raised his head to gaze at his own personal goddess and answered her question thus, "I promised you that I would give you my all. Take from me whatever you need, I shall not hold anything back."

Bria clasped her warm hand in Otiorin's own. Her voice was soft and full of focus as she examined Oscar's long, ornate casket. She thought aloud. "Oti, I don't think it's in your big heart to do so. It seems to me in all matters worth doing, the last thing you do is resist from doing your best."

She traced one hand along the casket's lid. The oak wood was extremely well-made, fit for a royal. Gold-lined and emblazoned with the grand white and green hippogriff crest of Highwind as befitting one whose loyalty to the throne was unquestionable, the casket was closed and carefully adorned with books new and old. Shining trinkets, carefully polished, from many a far-off land told the tale of an explorer. A night-black dwarven-made spyglass and matching worn leather case, a Waterwindian magnifying glass whose metal and wood were made from stones and trees older than this city, a book-bag made of leather fit for a king's saddle holding children's books of differing races. Such trinkets, tools of the learned, were laid across the casket like offerings to the divine.

"We'll need to clear these to open it up," Bria whispered. She bowed, eyes closed, hands at her sides to the array. Then she respectfully began the task of clearing it. The gentle healer did not need to look about to know she was not alone.

Bren blushed furiously at the goddess's praise. "Aye... well... It wasn't just me, of course. Well, except that last, I suppose...anyway." He ran a hand over his head, smoothing his hair into place, and just listened for a moment while trying to regain his composure. Mielikki's words about the pegasi sent his gaze to the winged horses, with a particular smile for Star, then back to his goddess with renewed hope in his eyes. "My Lady of the Forest, you know how often I've faced death. I'm more than willing to do so again for Oscar's sake, and all the more if Highwind's fate is in the balance."

Mielikki paused with the Felane and approached. Her every word was charming and thoughtful and as natural as the breeze. "Thou hast faced death here in this very kingdom and in the Astral plane and in realms beyond the reaches of most Averlundians' dreams. Thy bravery cannot be discounted. But remember! Shouldst thou fail in returning Oscar from Death's cold grip, I might come to believe the notion that mine magicks to bring thee and thine here were improperly wasted!" she indicated the pegasi with a wave of her hand and teased. "We cannot have that, can we?" Her very voice contained hope and all who heard it were heartened unless they wished otherwise. This time, her tone was as serious as a wolf's howl.

"Go, Shield Stallion, for thine friend and mine. We shall speak anon."

He followed Bria to the casket and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Whatever you need, I'm here for you," he told her quietly.

Bria heard and smiled knowingly. "Bren, all the clerics and magi of the kingdom looked and failed to find. But they lacked you. They lacked me. And they lacked the perspectives of our fellow Wanderers." She continued to bare the casket.

"If this mystery can be solved,
we are the ones who can do it."

Alone with friends nearby, Bria bared Oscar's casket, so she alone found what she found. She gazed upon a tastefully-worked brown and yellow tome some two inches thick in pages with binding a quarter as great. What leatherlike surface made for its binding, few could say, but those many, many yellowed pages hid inside made the grimoire appear heavy. It was kept closed well by a single metal band that wrapped its cover shut and locked with a simple twisting device that could be opened by a child's fingers.

"What is this?" Bria asked aloud.

"That," Flagg gritted his teeth and pointed hatefully, "is the culprit! The Tempus Fugit itself! We came to the conclusion that the damned thing be buried along with the great man that it killed, for Oscar's single love was knowledge and so it is best he be buried with the best and worst example of it all!" He waved a hand dismissively. "Moreover, he would have liked it that way... So we are watching over it until..."

"Has anyone opened it since Oscar's demise?"

"No, of course not! Who would be fool enough to--" He turned and saw Bria swiftly undo the clasp and crack the cover, "--open the blasted thing!! AAAAGH!" The wizard ran crazily at her, hands open wide for the killing tome, but Bria with the effortlessness of a fighting Ko, sidestepped him at the last moment. Flagg crashed into the casket.

THUMP!

Flagg grimaced, rubbing his chest. He waved away his oncoming attendants for he had only damaged his pride.

"Mister Flagg, I'm not reading the book, silly person," Bria covered her eyes with one hand except for a slit to peer between her fingers, "I'm looking in the one place you and your company didn't. You just said so yourself."

"And in Boccob's name, for what?!"

"Anything! To see if dear Oscar left anything behin-- Ooohh, hooray!"
Bria slipped out a bookmark, long and feathery with impeccable handwriting upon its face.

Even Mielikki had to beam at this. Watching mortals learn and grow was an event the Forest Mother never tired of. But then she was pulled back into Mamapaw and Powerpaw's conversation, so loud and proud was the Felane mother of both her son and her green-clad goddess and so glad was she of this meeting that Mielikki could not in her heart deny her or her fidgety son.

"So what does it saaaay?!" Flagg cringed.

"I'm still reading..."

"At least tell me if it is a note from its author?! All this time, the identity of the author has been unknown--"

"I think Boccob wrote this."

"WHAT?!" Flagg fell on his backside.

"See? This is a riddle written by his own hand. See the symbol?"

"I demand proof that it is his own!"

Bria immediately turned to the friendly goddess nearby. "Excuse me, Miss Mielikki?"

"Aye, Bria?"

She held up the bookmark. "Is this Boccob's handwriting?"

From between the small group of tweeting songbirds that flocked around her, Mielikki peered, able to read the hand-written script easily from the 40 or so feet that separated them. The goddess nodded. "Oh, aye! Boccob hath a quill-stroke like none other! Thou art correct - he is author of both."

"Oh, thank you, thank you!"

Mielikki silently grinned and curtsied and returned to her conversation.

"Are you telling me my god killed Oscar?!"

"Not precisely," Bria helped Flagg to his feet. "Listen, Mister Grand ol' Flagg Vizier-person sir, the writing says... 'E = 5...'"

"Ehh? What's that?"

"To yearn and wonder like never before,
To find and long over these pages pore,
To cross time and death to distant shore..."

"Aaaand?!"

Bria showed him the bookmark. "That's it. The fourth line is missing."

"AAAAAUGH!!"

"But right here below there appears to be a code of sorts... Good thing it's written in Common - Oscar was never a spellcaster."

"Riddles?! Bah, I have no time for riddles!" Flagg returned to pleading with the casket. "Why, oh, why great loremaster did you have to go and read this blasted thing in the first place?! It is the only dumb thing you ever did!"

Meanwhile, Bria left the Tempus Fugit with Grand Vizier Randall Flagg while, using body language, she tried to move into a huddle of sorts with the Wayward Wanderers sans Mamapaw and Powerpaw. "There is a fourth line, all right, and a word beneath that fourth line. But what is it?" Bria displayed the bookmark to you.

(Dungeon Master note: Time for a little challenge, friends!)
The Tempus Fugit Riddle

"E = 5"

"To yearn and wonder like never before,
To find and long over these pages pore,
To cross time and death to distant shore...

Fourth phrase (word by word):
"_ _
_ _ _ _ _ _
_ _
_
_ _ _
_ _ _ _,
_ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!"

Word One
20 = _
15 = _

Word Two
18 = _
5 = _
20 = _
21 = _
18 = _
14 = _

Word Three
20 = _
15 = _

Word Four
1 = _

Word Five
14 = _
5 = _
23 = _

Word Six
12 = _
9 = _
6 = _
5 = _

Word Seven
3 = _
8 = _
1 = _
14 = _
7 = _
5 = _
4 = _

Word Eight
6 = _
15 = _
18 = _
5 = _
22 = _
5 = _
18 = _
13 = _
15 = _
18 = _
5 = _

ANSWER
1. _
2. _
3. _
4. _
5. _
6. _
7. _
8. _
9. _
10. _
11. _

Luna looks at the cypher and nods to herself. "This is a simple letter/number substitution cypher, easy enough to solve." She pulls out a piece of parchment and a pencil and begins to write. Soon, she turns to show her work. "Assuming that I have made no mistakes, the message says, "To return to a new life changed forevermore TRNAEICANRE. What that means? I am not sure. As I said, I may have made a mistake, but it could be a name? Hmmm."

Luna will rack her brain to see if there is anything in her studies that look even remotely familiar.

One
20 = _T
15 = _O

Word Two
18 = _R
5 = _E
20 = _T
21 = _U
18 = _R
14 = _N

Word Three
20 = _T
15 = _O

Word Four
1 = _A

Word Five
14 = _N
5 = _E
23 = _W

Word Six
12 = _L
9 = _I
6 = _F
5 = _E

Word Seven
3 = _C
8 = _H
1 = _A
14 = _N
7 = _G
5 = _E
4 = _D

Word Eight
6 = _F
15 = _O
18 = _R
5 = _E
22 = _V
5 = _E
18 = _R
13 = _M
15 = _O
18 = _R
5 = _E

ANSWER
1. _T
2. _R
3. _N
4. _A
5. _E
6. _I
7. _C
8. _A
9. _N
10. _R
11. _E

Nivirea stood on the sidelines without much to say or do until then, though she paid close attention to what was going on. She eyed the Tempus Fugit cautiously from the moment Bria retrieved it from the coffin, as if fearing that the book might fall on the ground, wide open, and start withering everything around it. But now, leaning over the mysterious bookmark with the others, she seemed to quickly forget about the book. Luna had already begun deciphering the message.

"Trnaei - that last word," she spoke for the first time since Mielikki's arrival, "It's an anagram, clearly. For reincarnate."

Otiorin Taletreader

Active effects:

Otiorin approached the dreaded book grudgingly as his curiousity overcame his well-developed sense of self-preservation. However, his eyes watered as he peered the text on the bookmark and, noticing Luna already attempting to decipher the conundrum, gladly left her to it. A mind was a terrible thing to waste, his especially, so he graciously allowed Luna burn her brain out on the puzzle. As the text was decoded and the further puzzle of the letters at the end came up, Otiorin thought a short while.
"Is it an analogy? No wait, sorry, an anagram?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back