• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Sixteen: On the Road Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

(Part 1 of 2)

"I've already got some pretty cool stuff that'll do me for a while, I'd think. Unless Ben or Misha have something extra special, which they do sometimes. Lead on!"

Listening to you from the comforts of their second story balcony, Ben "the Giant" and his round and happy wife, Misha, smile and wave. "'Sometimes?' 'Sometimes?'" gripes Ben with friendly mocking. "Everything we sell is extra special and we only sell to extra-special people! That's you, twin-blood! Now get your strawberry head in here with the rest of your friends and let's get to business!"

Several hardy and hard-working Dwarves (the group that tossed the catapult shot Powerpaw's way) sigh and look up at the bright sun overhead before returning to work. Several groups of equally-hardy but not-yet-proven adventurers stand outside and well away from Ben and Misha's Magic Shoppe. They eye you with mixtures of emotions including pride, surprise, and not a little bit of envy - they appear not have not yet earned Ben and Misha's permission to shop within these special walls - and they know it's not a thing they can do about it by standing around, but stand they do for now.

Coming inside these walls again brings memories back. The last time you were here, you were minding your own businesses when Loviatar decided to spring her plan. It worked and you were all captured and kidnapped across the very planes of existence to the icy and wicked part of Pohjola that Loviatar, the Maiden of Pain, called home. There, you performed good deeds all but impossible for the creatures in those caverns, and even more impressive, you live now to tell the tale. In fact, all of you are here save for Oscar who is also safe in Highwind's fabled walls.

Several of the Dwarves are standing outside. They wear gleaming armor and have heavy-looking weapons of fantastic make in their hands. Even more dangerous is the gleams in their eyes as if daring Loviatar and her ilk to try and repeat history here.

Ben stomps down the stairs and waves his huge arms about. It's enough to make a normal person dodge out of the way even though he is far out of reach. "War!" Ben the Smithy shouts. "It's made some items hard to come by and others nigh-impossible to sell! Lucky for you lot, we've recently finished up with terrific batches of enchanted weapons and gear you'll not find anywhere else in Highwind!"

Misha gently steps down the stairs, her heavy, round figure bouncing cheerfully. "I am so happy to see you all safe and sound again! And you, Kaeritha! You've gone and joined the Wayward Wanderers too?" She holds one hand over her heart and glances heavenward. "The Good Saint knows you've been successful in realms even the bravest don't dare go - and you're still around to shop in here with us! So good to see you again!" She holds out her huge arms for a hug.

Ben grasps Kaerri's shoulders (both in one hand, he's that big!) and gives her a friendly pat. "Pshh! People like Kaerri of the Forest Eternal don't die - they just keep on joining new parties!" Ben points to Powerpaw. "Careful with that Maul of the Titans, warrior! You break it, you bought it!"

"Heh!" Powerpaw grins. "One bad swing an' dis kitty would be da brokest adventurer evaaarr!"

"Oh, I'd help where I could, Fuzzy Goof!" Bria runs up and hugs the Felane Gladiator.

But Mamapaw's eyes are on all of the counters and shelves. "Ah, would you tell a Druidess from the far-off jungles of Shamballah how things work around here?"

"Simple!" Ben yells (he seems to do that a lot). "No haggling! Just buy it or don't! You want to sell something? I'll give you the fairest price for you and for us! Want something explained? See any of us, though some here know more than others. And relax and enjoy yourselves! I guarantee what happened last time you were here won't happen again while I'm here!"

Sparkle raises her serpentine head and grins at the sound of that. "Well then. What do you have for sale?"

"Glad you asked, little purple lady!"

(Part 2 of 2)

Welcome to Ben & Misha's Magic Shoppe!

"Prices are set! Don't even come in here if you haven't done something great for Highwind! This shop is only for the worthy!" - Ben the Smithy

"And if you don't see something you're looking for, just ask! We may have it in the back." - Misha the Maker

1st row of potions - these potions act as 0-level Orisons/Cantrips.
8 Potions of Light - they really are just tiny bottles filled with liquid-light; each has a peaceful, soft radiance of that brings out the detail in many objects.
There are 2 blue, 2 green, 2 yellow, and 2 red. - 50 g.p. 1 blue sold to Kaerri!
3 Potions of Purify Food and Drink - Restores elapsed consumables to a fresh state. Adds a touch of roasted garlic flavor from the potion. - 50 g.p.
5 Potions of Hide from Undead - Undead cannot perceive the subject (intelligent undead get a Will Saving Throw). - 50 g.p.

2nd row these potions act as 1st level spells.
2 Potions of Cure Wounds - instantly heals 1d8+5 damage - 100 g.p.
3 Potions of Comprehend Languages - you understand spoken and written languages - lasts 50 minutes - 100 g.p.
6 Potions of Detect Secret Doors - Reveals hidden doors within 60 feet.; duration is Concentration/up to 5 minutes - 100 g.p.
5 Potions of Remove Paralysis - Frees creature from paralysis or slow effect. - 100 g.p.

3rd row - these potions act as 2nd level spells.
5 Potions of Arcane Lock - Magically locks a portal or chest (permanently unless broken) - 300 g.p.
3 Potions of Cure Wounds - instantly heals 2d8+10 damage - 300 g.p. All sold to Luna!
4 Potion of Resist Energy: Fire (Damage Reduction versus all manner of heat and flames 10 for 100 minutes) - 300 g.p.
3 Potions of Gust of Wind - Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures (you drink then exhale the gust) - 300 g.p.

4th row - these potions act as 3rd level spells.
3 Potions of Cure Wounds (3rd level - heals 3d8+15 damage) - 750 g.p. All sold to Oreleth!
5 Potions of Glyph of Warding - Inscription harms those who pass it (except in this case, you pour the inscription) - 750 g.p.
3 Potions of Rage - GIves +4 to Strength and Constitution, +1 to Will Saving Throws, and -2 to Armor Class. Duration is Concentration up to 15 rounds (90 seconds). - 750 g.p.
5 Oils of Keen Edge/Blunt Trauma - doubles normal weapon's threat range (be it edged or dull) for 150 minutes. - 750 g.p.

1 Arcane Scroll containing 2 spells: Gust of Wind and Levitate - 1,250 g.p. "One! One damned scroll left! That's war for you!" - Ben

3 Rings of Arcane Signets (a neat way to say "I was here" and more) - 1,000 g.p.
2 Rings of Austere Majesty (+2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks to those who admire the ring, more) - 3,000 g.p.
3 pairs of Communique Rings (allows direct, hard-to-block audible communication up to 1 mile away) - 6,000 g.p. per pair.
1 Ring of Counterspells (provides counterspell to one spell placed inside the ring) - 4,000 g.p.
2 Rings of Eloquence (Adds +2 to many social skills, can speak even if transformed, more) - 3,500 g.p.
1 Ring of Evasion (allows the ability Evasion) - 25,000 g.p. "Why should Rogues have all the fun?" - Misha - sold to Mamapaw!
8 Rings of Force Shield (shield-sized and shaped Wall of Force, adds +2 Shield Bonus to Armor Class) - 8,500 g.p. each 1 sold to Luna!
6 Rings of Inurement (stay comfortably warm or cold, more) - 1,000 g.p.
2 Rings of Planar Focus (casting Plane Shift allows one to arrive accurately, more) - 4,000 g.p. each
3 Rings of Resistance (+1 to all Saving Throws) - 1,500 g.p. each.
1 Ring of Return (functions as text except user arrives in Highwind's Adventurers' Guild) - 6,000 g.p.
4 Rings of Sacred Mistletoe (+2 to Nature Skill, improved Woodland Stride for those who have it, more) - 6,000 g.p.
4 Rings of Serene Contortions (see description) - 1,200 g.p. each
1 Ring of Seven Lovely Colors (adds +1 to Armor Class, more) - 4,000 g.p.
1 Ring of Spell Knowledge Type I (provides Spontaneous casters 1 additional 1st level spell) - 1,500 g.p.
2 Rings of Starlight (Faerie Fire function, more) - 1,600 g.p. each.
1 Ring of Telekinesis (use Telekinesis at 9th level ability at will) - 90,000 g.p. "This one is worth saving up for, if you're creative, that is!" - Misha
1 Ring of the Iron Skull (see description) - 10,800 g.p.
4 Rings of the Ram (fully charged with 50 charges, see description) - 8,600 g.p.
1 Ring of the Sophisticate (+4 to Sense Motive and Lore (Local Knowledge) Skills see description) - 11,000 g.p.
1 Ring of the Sublime (constant Remove Fear effect) - 2,000 g.p.
4 Riverclub Rings (with water, create a fighting club) - 1,000 g.p. each

4 Crypt Rods (acts as Light Mace +1, finds graves, tombs, and cairns, and gravesites the wielder specifies, more) - 8,500 g.p. each.
1 Rod of Cancellation (drains magic items, more) - 11,000 g.p.
5 Rods of Flame Extinguishing (puts out normal fires, magical fires, magical fire spells, harms fire-creatures, more) - 15,000 g.p. each.
1 Rod of Grounding (makes electricity-based magic difficult, more) - 12,000 g.p.
1 Rod of Lordly Might (see description) - 70,000 g.p. "This item came from a retired adventurer. He loved it a great deal." - Ben

1 Staff of Power (no Vorgore inside, see description) - 235,000 g.p. "No, this hasn't had a previous owner! It's brand new!" - Ben

4 Bonespur Daggers (Dagger +1, special critical hit, more) - 6,302 g.p. each
15 Javelins of Lightning (javelins turn into 5th level Lightning Bolts) - 1,500 g.p. each
16 Mute Arrows (act as Mute Darts) - 566 g.p. each.
1 Quarterstaff of Entwined Foxes (like the Quarterstaff of Entwined Serpents but with foxes, see description) - 5,050 g.p.
3 Ribbons of Effortless Lace (see description) - 2,500 g.p. each. "You might be surprised how useful these little things can be." - Ben
12 Searing Arrows (burns target for 3 rounds, more) - 1,516 g.p. each.
5 Secret Crossbows (hand crossbows, can stay hidden prior to use, more) - 4,400 g.p. each.
4 Smuggler's Slings (+1 sling can be hidden easily, conjures magic bullets 5/day, more) - 5,050 g.p. each.
5 Stakes of the Righteous (excellent weapon against a helpless vampire, see description) - 3,520 g.p. each. "I hate blood-suckers!" - Ben

1 suit of Armiger's Armor (Full Plate +1, see description) - 22,500 g.p.
1 suit of Buccaneer's Breastplate (Breastplate +1, Water Walk at will, more) - 23,850 g.p.
1 suit of Flowing Fortress Armor (Breastplate +2, no Armor Check when Swimming, more) - 30,350 g.p. "This suit is blessed by Poseidon." - Ben
1 suit of Spelunker's Mail (Chain shirt +1, see description) - 10,000 g.p.
1 suit of Stalking (Studded leather armor +2, best for Rangers, see description, owner chooses Favored Terrain type/armor appearance) - 8,575 g.p.
1 suit of Wizard's Mail (+4 Leather Armor, Max Dex +8, Arcane Spell Failure: 0%) - 52,100 g.p. "Make all of your fellow arcanists jealous!" - Ben

Belts
1 Belt of the Weasel (Dexterity +2, 1/2 Movement Rate while Prone, more) - 10,000 g.p.
2 Belts of Mighty Hurling, Lesser (Strength +2, use Strength instead of Dexterity for throwing weapons, more) - 14,000 g.p.
3 Diminishing Sashs (see description) - 5,000 g.p. each.
2 Equestrian Belts (+4 to Nature/Ride Checks, more) - 3,200 g.p. each. "These will help you with those incredible new mounts you have!" - Misha
4 War Saddles (+5 to Nature/Ride Checks, transforms to correct size/shape, more) - 5,000 g.p. each

Body
6 Druid's Vestments (Adds 1 additional Wild Shape/day for Druids) - 3,750 g.p. each. "Didn't you say you were a Druidess?" - Misha
1 Harness of Hovering (use Swift Action to hang in midair, more) - 12,000 g.p.
4 Hyperboreal Robes (+2 to all Saving Throws, more) - 7,000 g.p. each
1 Liar's Robe ("disguises" wearer, see description) - 6,180 g.p. "You want to be the talk of the town? Wear this! Just don't go to jail!" - Ben
1 Robe of Useful Items (see description) - 7,000 g.p.

Chest
4 Tunics of Careful Casting (Adds +2 to Concentration Checks/Saving Throws when struck while Casting) - 5,000 g.p.
2 Pickpocket's Bandoliers (see description) - 12,000 g.p. each
3 Prophet Pectorals (adds to success of some Divine-based Divination spells, more) - 6,000 g.p. each.
1 Shadow Jumper's Tunic (adds to Jumping or to Shadowdancer Shadow Jump) - 16,200 g.p. "Kaerri, dear! Come look at this one?" - Misha
3 Shirts of Immolation (Creatures attempt to Grapple take 1d6+10 Fire damage, more) - 7,000 g.p. each

Eyes
4 Eldritch Scholar's Monocles (grants Read Magic at will, aids against harmful written magic, more) - 5,000 each.
5 pairs of Eyes of Keen Sight (+2 to Perception Checks, adds Low-light vision or doubles Low-light vision) - 6,000 g.p. each
8 pairs of Eyes of the Owl (grants Low-light vision at will) - 4,000 g.p. each. "Elves and hobbits and the lot have it so good!" - Misha
1 Pirate Lord's Patch (+2 to Appraise and Intimidate Checks, See Invisibility 1/day, more) - 8,000 g.p.
1 pair of Spendthrift Spectacles (+5 to Appraise checks, more) - 6,250 g.p.
2 sets of Storm Goggles (negates Perception penalties due to atmospheric conditions, more) - 6,000 g.p. each
2 sets of Treasure Hunter's Goggles (Detect Secret Doors at will, Identify 3/day, more) - 6,400 g.p. each. "You do like finding treasure, don't you?" - Ben

Feet
9 pairs of Boots of the Cat (take minimum damage from falls, always lands on feet) - 1,000 g.p. each "No, they're not made of cat!" - Misha
1 pair of Cat Burglar's Boots (+2 to some Skills, provides hidden Masterwork Thieves tools, more) - 2,000 g.p. Sold to Otiorin!
1 pair of Seafarer's Waders (+2 to some Skills, more) - 3,350 g.p.
5 pairs of Sandals of Quick Reaction (adds to Surprise, more) - 4,000 g.p. each.
14 pairs of Subtle Slippers (provide Pass Without Trace ability, adds Stealth to self and others, more) - 5,500 g.p. "I don't wake Ben with these." - Misha

1 pair of Empty Hands (see description) - 18,000 g.p. "They only look empty!" - Misha
2 pairs of Gloves of Marking (see description) - 7,000 g.p. each.
4 Gloves of Storing (see description) - 10,000 g.p. each
4 pairs of Glowing Gloves (see description) - 2,000 g.p. each
1 pair of Healer's Gloves (adds +5 to Heal checks) - 2,500 g.p. "Bria dear, I hope you didn't give all of your coin to the orphanage again?" - Misha
2 pairs of Ioun Gauntlets (add Ioun Stone for minor bonus, use Detect Magic with Light 1/day, more) - 1,000 g.p. each
1 pair of Rubble Gloves (see description) - 8,000 g.p.
8 pairs of Whispering Gloves (send secret messages as a Standard Action, more) - 1,000 g.p. each.
3 pairs of Quicksilver Gloves (see description) - 7,000 g.p. each

2 Black Hoods of the Highwind Thieves' Guild (function as Bastion Crowns, see description) - 4,500 g.p. each. "Yes, I'm allowed to sell these!" - Ben
1 Circlet of Persuasion (+3 competence bonus to Charisma-based Checks) - 4,500 g.p. "Hey, half-elf guy! Think you could use this?" - Ben
2 sets of Fog Cutting Lenses (see through magical and normal fogs, mists, and the like, more) - 8,000 g.p. each.
6 Helms of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic (see description) - 5,400 g.p. each. 1 sold to Luna!
4 sets of Shadow Fletching (Note: These function against darkvision and low-light vision users) - 8,000 g.p. each. "Arcane Archer, aren't you?" - Misha
1 Veil of Fleeting Glances (protects against gaze-based attacks, more) - 9,000 g.p.

1 Band of the Stalwart Warrior (reduces Fear effects to Shaken, improves Bravery ability) - 14,000 g.p
1 Headband of Fortune's Favor (+1 Luck bonus to all Saving Throws, more) - 7,700 g.p.
1 Headband of the Highwindian Ranger (as Guerilla's Bandanna except made with Mielikki-songbird feathers, see description) - 18,000 g.p.
1 Headband of Intelligence (+2 to Intelligence) - 4,000 g.p. "Why hasn't anyone bought this yet? Because they're stupid, that's why!" - Ben
1 Headband of the Wolf (grants Scent ability) - 5,000 g.p. "I like smelling my flowers while wearing this. Now I'm envious of canines." - Misha
3 Headbands of Unshakable Resolve (Wisdom +2, lessens Fear effects 3/day) - 5,600 g.p. each.
5 Hollywreath Bands (create Goodberry 1/day, adds +1 to Plant Domain caster level and DC) - 5,700 g.p. each.

3 Aegises of Recovery, Lesser (aids against ongoing effects, more) - 1,500 g.p. each.
5 Bloodstone Collars (protects Wizard familiars, more) - 900 g.p. each.
1 Brooch of Blending (transforms Half-elves to look either as humans or elves, more) - 2,000 g.p.
19 Anti-Drowning Medallions (as Drowning Medallions, helps to protect wearer from drowning) - 900 g.p. each "Who names these things?!" - Ben
1 Hand of the Mage (mummified Elven hand around your neck grants ability to use 3rd magical ring) - 900 g.p. - Sold to Luna!
1 Protective Ruff (protects magical items on your person, more) - 1,000 g.p. "This one's a beauty!" - Misha
6 Spell-Sharing Collars (allows spells to be shared from familiars to non-familiars) - 7,500 g.p. each.

7 Bear Pelts of the Bonebreaker (except the pelts are made from very old bears and the deity it is devoted to is Mielikki, more) - 3,300 g.p. each.
12 Shield Cloaks (cloak hardens and can be used as a light wooden shield, can be improved) - 1,000 g.p. each.
1 Cloak of the Hedge Wizard - Abjuration (grants ability to use certain spells upon command, more) - 2,500 g.p.
1 Cloak of the Hedge Wizard - Evocation (grants ability to use certain spells upon command, more) - 2,500 g.p. "Hey, Wizard! You like this?" - Ben
1 Cloak of the Hedge Wizard - Transmutation (grants ability to use certain spells upon command, more) - 2,500 g.p.
3 Cloaks of the Night Sky (except the deity it is devoted to is Boccob, more) - 2,500 g.p.
3 Cloaks of Quick Reflexes (act as Cloaks of Resistance +2 but add +3 to Reflex Saving Throws) - 6,000 g.p. each.
1 Mantle of Life (wearer cannot be energy drained, more) - 48,000 g.p. "Take that, ya blood-sucking undead!" - Ben
1 True Cloak of Displacement (as Cloak of Displacement, Major but offers Displacement at all times when worn) - 125,000 g.p.

12 Armiger's Panoplies (allows armor and shield-wearer to magically don or doff armor, more) - 7,200 g.p. each. "Cat warrior! Check this out!" - Ben
3 Decorum Bands (allows one to know prior to action what could cause a creature's attitude to shift negatively) - 1,000 g.p. each.
2 Seafaring Stanchions (allows one to magically remove armor which floats for 4 hours, more) - 2,400 g.p. each.
5 Spellguard Bracers (aids against attempts to break a spellcaster's Concentration, more) - 2,500 g.p. each.
4 Vanishing Sheaths (hides item in extradimensional sheath, more) - 5,000 g.p. each.

Last edited:
Luna goes into the famed store with a smile on her face, looking forward to seeing what goodies are in here to tempt her. She pulls her cloak in tight around her to keep it from snagging on something and pulling it off the shelf by accident. So many wonderful things! I do wonder what I should purchase to make myself ready for the next step in our journey? Then, she sees it. The wondrous Staff of Power. Luna can feel her heart flutter in excitement upon seeing it, but a glance at the price tag shows her that it is far out of reach.

Then, an idea comes to her. "Tell me, Master Ben. I have noticed that you have a very small selection of scrolls on hand. I have made many that I would be willing to sell to you, as long as I can get a good price for them. Plus, I have two other items that may be of interest: a Wand of Scorching Rays and a magic crossbow. I am hoping that we can work out an arrangement to be able to part with that beautiful Staff of Power you have there, but I am far short on gold."

Oreleth joins Luna in admiring the fine products in the store, and she hears Luna's plight. She walks over and says, "Luna, if you need it, I have my own 12,000 in gemstones that you can have. Its not much, but it may help. I would just ask that you help me learn some new spells to put in my own spellbook. Sound fair enough?"

Luna looks over at Oreleth and feels quite excited. "Thank you! I may not have enough, even with my scrolls and such, so if your coin doesn't bring me to the needed amount, I'll pass on it. And you don't need to ask about learning spells. I will be glad to teach you what I know." She looks back to Ben and crosses her mental fingers, hoping that she can get enough to afford the Staff.

Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14
Listening to you from the comforts of their second story balcony, Ben "the Giant" and his round and happy wife, Misha, smile and wave. "'Sometimes?' 'Sometimes?'" gripes Ben with friendly mocking. "Everything we sell is extra special and we only sell to extra-special people! That's you, twin-blood! Now get your strawberry head in here with the rest of your friends and let's get to business!"
Kaerri holds up her hands as if surrendering. (The trident Wave is left momentarily to stand upright by itself, which Kaerri apparently has perfect faith that it will do so.) "OK, OK! Coming!" Grabbing up the trident, she ignores the stares of the less-experienced adventurers and heads inside the shop.

Misha gently steps down the stairs, her heavy, round figure bouncing cheerfully. "I am so happy to see you all safe and sound again! And you, Kaeritha! You've gone and joined the Wayward Wanderers too?" She holds one hand over her heart and glances heavenward. "The Good Saint knows you've been successful in realms even the bravest don't dare go - and you're still around to shop in here with us! So good to see you again!" She holds out her huge arms for a hug.
Kaerri cheerfully obliges, keeping Wave well out of the way in the process. "Oh, I'm a lucky one," she grins. "And make my own luck where I can. Good to see you again too!" She pats Ben's big hand and turns her grin to him as well, then shifts her attention to the wares on display.

She half-listens to Luna and Oreleth while she looks over the selection of armor. The Flowing Fortress Armor gets an extra look; though she doesn't wear breastplate, its watery powers appeal to her.

She then moves on to slings and stakes. "Something to save up for," she agrees absently with Luna as she runs a finger down a length of ribbon. "In the meantime, did you get a good look at that Wizard's Mail?"

She gives the boots only a passing glance, but it's enough to cause her to wave Otiorin over. "Some nice stuff here."

Making her way to the belts, one in particular catches her eye. "Does this Belt of the Weasel stack with a Cat's Grace spell?"

1 Shadow Jumper's Tunic (adds to Jumping or to Shadowdancer Shadow Jump) - 16,200 g.p. "Kaerri, dear! Come look at this one?" - Misha
Kaerri does indeed come and look, and her brown eyes widen with glee, despite the price tag that shows this might well be her thing to save up for. "Oh my. Can I wear that at the same time as this?" She pulls up the sleeve of her blue-green tunic, revealing shimmering, finely-woven chainmail underneath.

Last edited:
Then, an idea comes to her. "Tell me, Master Ben. I have noticed that you have a very small selection of scrolls on hand. I have made many that I would be willing to sell to you, as long as I can get a good price for them. Plus, I have two other items that may be of interest: a Wand of Scorching Rays and a magic crossbow. I am hoping that we can work out an arrangement to be able to part with that beautiful Staff of Power you have there, but I am far short on gold."

Ben looks down upon Luna (he can't help it; he's over 6 1/2 feet tall!) and remarks with a bear's gruffness, "The Staff of Power is one of the most sought-after staves in Averlund! Everyone wants one! By the Saint, there are mages I've run into that became mages to get their component-covered hands on these - and I'm lucky to have the one we have!" Ben confides, "I am not trying to pressure you, Luna of Boccob, but you ought to know - it's a race! There are Wizards, Sorcerers, even 3 Bards who want to walk away with that staff, but my prices are fair and firm. It's only a matter of time before someone walks in here with the necessary coin or trades.

Ben holds out his huge hands. "But everyone has to start somewhere! How many charges left in that Wand of Scorching Rays? What condition is it in? Let's take a look at this enchanted crossbow of yours! As for scrolls, I can't keep 'em in stock. I'll give you a fair price for whatever you feel like scribing - just understand - the War for Highwind doesn't need spells like Comprehend Languages, if you take my meaning!"

Oreleth joins Luna in admiring the fine products in the store, and she hears Luna's plight. She walks over and says, "Luna, if you need it, I have my own 12,000 in gemstones that you can have. Its not much, but it may help. I would just ask that you help me learn some new spells to put in my own spellbook. Sound fair enough?"

Powerpaw leans over and smiles at Oreleth when she offers this, but then leans over to see the price tag on the Staff of Power (235,000 gold!). Powerpaw's face falls and his eyes get wide as he looks out the window of Ben & Misha's. "Sooo.... anybuddy see any trolls or hydras carryin' any gold out dere? We need ta kill an' loot some damn bad guys in a big way!"

Kaerri holds up her hands as if surrendering. (The trident Wave is left momentarily to stand upright by itself, which Kaerri apparently has perfect faith that it will do so.) "OK, OK! Coming!" Grabbing up the trident, she ignores the stares of the less-experienced adventurers and heads inside the shop.

Wave, never one to disappoint, glows and stays perfectly vertical as Kaerri releases him. This catches the attention of some of the younger adventuring crowd and soon, the Wayward Wanderers hear young voices saying things like, "Wait, do you see that?" "What the--" and "Okay... how is she doing that?" When Kaerri picks Wave up to enter Ben & Misha's, about half a dozen young guys point and kind of gawk foolishly as she makes her way inside.

Making her way to the belts, one in particular catches her eye. "Does this Belt of the Weasel stack with a Cat's Grace spell?"

Misha answers as naturally as anyone who knows their work well. "Those won't stack, dear. The belt and the spell draw from the same foundations to produce their effects."

Or in other words, both bonuses are enhancement bonuses and therefore do not stack.

Kaerri does indeed come and look, and her brown eyes widen with glee, despite the price tag that shows this might well be her thing to save up for. "Oh my. Can I wear that at the same time as this?" She pulls up the sleeve of her blue-green tunic, revealing shimmering, finely-woven chainmail underneath.

Misha sees this tunic and gawks. "You... what... is that what I think it is?"

Ben grins widely. "That," he points with a grand gesture having seen it once before, "is a shirt of Elven Chain Shirt of Asgardian make! Light as a feather and nigh-strong as a suit of chain mail! And an unenchanted shirt at that! Oh, the defenses I could add to that..." Ben drifts off as he stares distantly for one long moment.

When Misha gets over her surprise, she says without a doubt, "Those are both items meant to be worn on the chest. You would have to swap them."

Ben holds out his huge hands. "But everyone has to start somewhere! How many charges left in that Wand of Scorching Rays? What condition is it in? Let's take a look at this enchanted crossbow of yours! As for scrolls, I can't keep 'em in stock. I'll give you a fair price for whatever you feel like scribing - just understand - the War for Highwind doesn't need spells like Comprehend Languages, if you take my meaning!"
Luna nods sadly, and says, "Unless my math skills are wrong, I am confident that the magic items and scrolls I have will not be enough to make this purchase. It will be interesting to learn just how much I can get for these. As far as my current supply of scrolls go, this is what I have:

3 Fireball at 6d6 damage
1 Displacement for 6 rounds
1 Lightning Bolt at 6d6 damage
2 Magic Missile with 4 bolts each
2 Haste for 6 rounds

She then shows off her wand. "This is of my own crafting, and it is fully charged. I am planning on making others, but this was my first. Now, the crossbow is enchanted to a +2, and can make light on command. I have kept it in good state. If I will not have enough to get the Staff with all of this, I will keep the wand for now, needing something to use if my spells are depleted."

Ben the Smithy nods. "I can guarantee that you don't have enough with that, but that is why it is one of the finest items in my shop. Tell me," Ben raises his voice a little to address all of you, "are you all planning on going out on some adventure soon? Last thing I want to do is buy something from you that you'll need out there." His eyes gaze northward and with meaning.

"My advice? For now, spend your coin on what will keep you and your fellowship alive and successful! Only the churches make coin when you must return a friend to life. With a bit of luck here and there, with good planning and strong teamwork, the big stuff will come later. Like that Wave and the Maul of the Titans!" he beams at Kaerri and Powerpaw. Powerpaw returns a big, toothy grin as he continues to browse.

"I've seen it happen! People who could barely buy potions return with tales, coins, magical things taken from tombs, lairs, and dungeons. Soon enough, they either spend it all on wine and wenching, or they get serious and turn into the kinds of fellowships that will help us win this war against the damnable Black Fang! But enough philosophy - back to business!"

Luna is quiet for a moment, taking in the words of wisdom from Ben. With a nod, she asks, "The Ring of Force Shield. Does it work with the spells of Mage Armor and Shield? Or does it take the place of the Shield spell?"

Ben grins for one quiet moment as Luna moves on in her thinking. He walks with her to his vast display of quality enchanted rings, openly admiring them as they twinkle and gleam from inside their cases. "It works with both! Though it acts as a shield like that of a cleric or fighter might wield, it's virtually weightless and made of magical force. You don't even have to know how to be proficient in shields! Just activate the magic and let it aid you!"

While looking through Misha's collection of robes, Bria chimes in. "Luna, my Ring of Force Shield has been good to me in many battles. I don't know many arcanists that think to benefit from shields, but the less you're hurt, the less your spells will be interrupted!"

Oreleth smiles. "It sounds like just the thing for you, Luna. Be able to use your spells, and offer up a bit of protection to you. Even with the rest of us to protect you, there will be times that you will be forced to rely upon your own defenses to keep safe."

Luna smiles at the news. "Wonderful! I certainly could use a bit more protection in the field. Especially since it will work with my defensive spells that I already use." She thinks about it some more, still wishing for that beautiful Staff of Power, but knowing realistically that there is no way to get it on this trip. "Very well, my good man. I will take the ring for the good price of 8,500 gold." Luna pulls out the pouch with the gifted gemstones in it and begins to count out the price of the ring until she has the full amount ready to go.

"Before we conclude our business here today, what can you offer for the scrolls I have? I am curious to see what they would fetch from you."

While Luna speaks to Ben, Oreleth is examining a pair of items that she is considering for herself. "Can you tell me if the Vanishing Sheath will work with my bow? There are times that it is not appropriate to be carrying a weapon, but I like to be armed. Its a dangerous world out there, after all. If it won't work for what I desire, what of the Gloves of Storing? Would they work for what I wish?"

She then looks over at the potions and says, "Either way, I'd like those three Potions of Healing 3rd Level. Please and thank you."

Otiorin Taletreader

Earlier
The Half-elf smiled and waved as he saw Bren and marveled at the gift he awarded to Powerpaw. Truly if there was a weapon suited for the Felane, it was that which he now wielded. Otiorin watched in awe as the mighty gladiator smashed the catapult shot high into the sky and far into the distance.
”May it do good, not il, when it returns to the earth.”, he prayed to any god that might lend an ear.

Now
He entered the magic shop behind his companions and looked over the many treasures with interest, but his heart was not overly taken with anything he saw. He had a plan for his share of the spoils and it did not include any of the bright baubles. He walked over to Ben and Misha and spoke plainly.
”I have a need for artisans, a leatherworker and a carpenter to be precise.”, he said, moving over to a free table in the expansive store.
He unshouldered his Bag of Holding and extracted the paired swords and crossbows and laid them gently on the table, “I need a leatherworker to craft me a suitable harness that will hold all four of these on my back, as well as bolt cases on my waist. As for the carpenter, I want to commission a portable shrine dedicated to the god of the Wild Elves. I made them a promise that I would do all I could to aid them in their plight, and by all the gods, I shall keep that promise in whatever way I can.”

"Very well, my good man. I will take the ring for the good price of 8,500 gold." Luna pulls out the pouch with the gifted gemstones in it and begins to count out the price of the ring until she has the full amount ready to go.

Ben chuckles as they complete the transaction. "May you not need it half as much as the warriors and clerics who regularly come in here with battered shields do!"

While Luna speaks to Ben, Oreleth is examining a pair of items that she is considering for herself. "Can you tell me if the Vanishing Sheath will work with my bow? There are times that it is not appropriate to be carrying a weapon, but I like to be armed. Its a dangerous world out there, after all. If it won't work for what I desire, what of the Gloves of Storing? Would they work for what I wish?"

Psychie Psychie

"Those," Ben says, "are weight-dependent. How much does the bow in question weigh?"

She then looks over at the potions and says, "Either way, I'd like those three Potions of Healing 3rd Level. Please and thank you."

Misha passes Ben the potions and he passes them onto you and collects your 2,250 gold for the purchase. "Heh! Now there's someone who is looking out for their future welfare, or that of their comrades! Hope you like the sweet taste of fresh strawberries in these potions!"

Sherwood Sherwood

Ben turns to Misha. "Fancy appraising some fine Wizardly scrolls, my dear?"

Misha's plump face broadens to a smile as she approaches Luna and Sparkle. "Oh, let us see what we have here, shall we? Just so you know, we take into account the amount that one spends for Crafting the scroll. For example, a 3rd level spell Crafted by a 6th level Wizard, costs you 375 gold pieces. We'll sell that scroll to a buyer for twice that, 750 gold pieces. We'll buy said scrolls from you for the difference between our selling price and your Crafting price. Therefore..." Misha examines each of Luna's offered scrolls and prices them accordingly...

3 Fireball at 6d6 damage - 563 g.p. each.
1 Displacement for 6 rounds - 563 g.p.
1 Lightning Bolt at 6d6 damage - 563 g.p.
2 Magic Missile with 4 bolts each - 66 g.p. each (1st level Spell crafted at 7th level of ability)
2 Haste for 6 rounds - 563 g.p. each

... and takes an interest in the light crossbow with Light on Command Luna is offering.

Now, the crossbow is enchanted to a +2, and can make light on command.

Misha shows the lightly-used weapon (pun intended!) to Ben. After a thorough examination, Ben firmly declares, "I will purchase this for 13,763 gold pieces and 25 silver pieces. What do you say?"

Crafting cost: (Light crossbow = 17.5 g.p.) + (+2 weapon with Light on Command minor power = 9,000 g.p.) = 9,175.5 gold pieces.

Selling price: 9,175.5 x 2 = 18,351 g.p.

Offering price: 18,351 g.p. x 75 = 13,763 gold pieces and 25 silver pieces.

Ben chuckles as they complete the transaction. "May you not need it half as much as the warriors and clerics who regularly come in here with battered shields do!"

Psychie Psychie

"Those," Ben says, "are weight-dependent. How much does the bow in question weigh?"

Misha passes Ben the potions and he passes them onto you and collects your 2,250 gold for the purchase. "Heh! Now there's someone who is looking out for their future welfare, or that of their comrades! Hope you like the sweet taste of fresh strawberries in these potions!"
Oreleth hefts the bow, looking at it carefully. She says, "It weights about three pounds, so as long as the size is not an issue, the Vanishing Sheath will work just fine. May I test this to confirm it? I would hate to buy one and not have my bow fit properly."

Psychie Psychie (Tagging in case the alert system borks.)

"Be my guest!" Ben grins. "Hells, if the magic fails to work here, what good would it do you in some dank, dark dungeon somewhere, eh?" Ben takes a Vanishing Sheath and there attached to it is a string with a small parchment inside glass which he reads. "Hmm. This one... activates like this."

Oreleth's bow vanishes right out of her hand and into the wrist-sheath. Upon command, the longbow reappears with beautiful efficiency that only magic can provide. Ben sees this, smiles proudly, and looks to Oreleth for her reaction.

Last edited:
With a smile on her face, she nods. "Done! I'll take it. Excellent piece of work, good sir." She then reaches for her pouch and begins to count out the needed gemstones and coin to equal the 2,500 gold purchase price. "Don't go too far; I still have some coin to spend!"

Ben makes certain Oreleth's trade is fair and replies, "Are you kidding, Wood Elf? It's our pleasure!"

Luna offers up the scrolls and the crossbow, then asks about the Helms of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic. "How helmet-y are they? As an Evoker wizard, I cannot wear armor and be able to cast my spells. Will this interfere with my casting?"

Misha strolls over and shows Luna the helms. "Not at all. Mine even stays on in windy days. Which is often when you live in a kingdom like Highwind." While the helms are well-made, warm, and comfortable, they will never be confused with armor.

Unless you're a goblin.

Then everything in Sharseya is confusing at one point or another.

Luna gently takes the helm and slips it onto her head and strikes a pose. "Does this helm go with my cloak?" She grins, saying, "It would benefit us all well if I were to add this to my inventory. Lets make it so, even if it does take me longer to get that Staff of Power because of this."

Luna pauses for a moment, wondering, "Tell me, do you also provide training to advance our skills, or if you don't, can you recommend a good instructor that charges fair rates? I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel ready to advance!"

Then, Luna adds, "And I just realized that I have too many rings. I will need to take that Hand of the Mage for the 900 gp to make them all work!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back