• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Six: Roundabout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf nods in anticipation as well. "And I am interested in hearing how you got here. To Sharseya. From wherever your home is." he says.

Dannigan said:
Powerpaw narrows his eyes at Bren in a way the youthful lord has seen before - back when they first met and were prowling through the woods together, when Powerpaw seemed to be "sizing Bren up" as a warrior. Powerpaw licks his fangs and asks, "Bren-face, how iz it dat you knows Master Kausheya well-enuff dat you iz on Da List of Nine?"
Bren appears a little surprised to find himself on such a list, but pleased all the same. "Well, we did adventure together some while back - or rather, his adventuring team and mine joined forces; he was with the Last Resort at the time. I suppose I - or we - made an impression on him, for he later invited us to his temple in Rhumia for a short 'vacation.' Then, too, I know he and Archbishop du Blake became pretty close friends while he was in Highwind, and Bishop and I have always worked well together, so he may have put in some good words for me. I can probably arrange introductions with any on your list that are currently in town; I'd actually intended to do that anyway, for the whole group, barring the queen, unless you" - he looks at the whole party - "wanted to pick up jobs directly from the crown, which I suppose we could. I'd thought to go instead through the royal council, of which Bishop is a member."
Dannigan said:
At the same time, Mamapaw looks to Luna, Wolf, and Sparkle. "Thank you for your generous offers to help me find more of my spellcasting components." Then she turns to everyone present. "Does our humble background still hold any interest for you?" She appears worried. "I would hate to waste your time..."
"Certainly we are interested!" Bren assures her along with the rest. "As Luna says, how could we not be, with two so unique in our experience? Not to mention that we would be anyway, as our fellow travelers and party members."

Bria bounces and nods eagerly. "That goes for me too, Fuzzy Goof and Momma of Fuzzy Goof! I'd like to know whatever you're allowed to share!"

Powerpaw grins and cracks his knuckles. "See, Mom? What'd I tells yas?"

"You were right, son! They must be your friends to have such interest in us!"

Mamapaw fidgets at first, but Powerpaw has no fear - not even stage fright. He steps forward. "Okies, guys. Sit back. Grab some noms an' get readies fer a whole lotta moar fer you!"

"But firsts, some mood musics if ya wanna. Dis one is groovies..."

[media]
[/media]
"An' dis one iz dancin' musics." (Courtesy of DJ Tonga)

[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7ywTfdWFA[/media]

"Yah, peeps rilly dance like dat where we Kitty-faces iz from! Neat, huh?"

Heya, folks! Consider each piece of art below to be described in-character to each of your characters (either by Powerpaw, Sabrefang, or by both of them). So, what you see here, your character has had described to her or him in vivid detail.

"Mom an' I haz decideds ta share wif ya three tings (mebbe four):

1. Basic Kitty-face history.

2. Den Mom haz a story about me she wants ta share.

3. Den, how I manageded ta comes heres an' why.

4. An' mebbe after dat we shares a Kitty-face story we iz really proud of. In facts,
all Kitty-faces knows it, so mebbe you wanna knows too.

"Alla dis is up ta you an' how much you wanna hear. You bein' Wanderers haz certainly deserved da right.

"So, let's start wif da very first one. Where dids we comes from? What iz da real name of our race? Why iz Kitty-faces here? It all starts wif Ra, of course! Ra iz our
biggest, shiniest god evar..."

sungod.jpg

(Image credit:
www.hindufaqs.com)

"Sumtimes, Ra changez hiz form. Like dis..."

2014010816420082e88e26884de8.png

(Image credit:
smite.131.com)

See, Ra gits TWO pics 'cause he iz so awesomes! Dats DUBBLE DA AWESOMES!!

"Ra is da very sun. Tink about its. What would we be wiffout da sun? I mean,
besides scared, gloomy, screwed, an' always in da dark? Well, on da vasts an' beautiful continents of Rhumia, waaaaaaay across dat sea dat splits yer continent an' ours, dere was a city-in-da-sand, a real jewel in da golden desert evwiebuddy called, 'Al-Radeem'. Al-Radeem means Da Dreamin' City...

"Peeps came from all over da be a part of Ra's best city. Talk about Moar!"

Pablo_Palomeque_Concept_Art_DESERT-SUNSET.jpg
(Image credit: www.pinterest.com)

781ea74817cbeef3c3123d3d4d8b8d12.jpg

(Image credit: www.pinterest.com)

"Al-Radeem gits two pics too. Moar!"

It wuz a city where all peeps could come an' lay dere worries at da feet of Ra, da greatest god EVAR, an' if dey waz found worthy, he would helps 'em big time! Cropses flourishded, sicknesses waz
cured, peeps got smarter, an' dey all loved Ra fer bringin' illuminations inta their lives. An' not just theirs, but their familiez, heck, their whole bloodlines! Humans was discoverin's an' learnin' moar, moar, moar like ya read about! Al-Radeem claimed ta have a single goal - ta illuminates da whole rest of peeps Rhumia! Dats a lotta peeps, guys!

"Well, while Ra is loveded by most of da gods, he's got hiz enemies too. Like Apep..."

apophis_the_destroyer_by_genzoman.jpg

"One pic only fer evil snake-face..."

(Image credit:
dragondreaming.wordpress.com)

Upon speaking that name, Powerpaw spits into the nearest thing that looks like trash. He scowls with dread seriousness.
"Apep is da god of evils. An' when I sez 'evils' I mean ALLA DA EVILS... Every evil you kin tink of, he's been dere an' done dat a tousand times worse. An' what's he wanna do? Just destroy evvwieting an' go from dere! Apep is so evils dat not even hiz worshippers kin worship him since dat means he gives sumthin' back, right? Not dis guy - he just takes. So hiz cohorts take, too.

"An' one sandy, moonless night... Apep an' his cohortses
took Al-Radeem. An' I mean all of it. Da whole city in one night. See, nobody knew ('cause Apep's cohorts all follow him in secrets) dat evil peeps wuz diggin' tunnels under alla Al-Radeem. An' in dose tunnels, dey had masters of evils. Serpents, mostlies. Evil serpents to da core. Dey called dem... Yuan-ti..."

yuanti.jpg

"Dese guys suck so bads dey only gits one pic too... I sez, smack 'em all IN DA FAAAACE!!"

(Image credit:
beyondheroes2.altervista.org)

"Now, dere is evils... an' dere is
dese guys. An' Apep uses da Yuan-ti fer his dirty work. Dey is foul, merciless, wiffout honor, an' willin' ta do anyting ta appease Apep. Dat includes bringin' down a whole city fulla good guys from da ground up. Apep loves ta destroy, but he also loves ta corrupt. An' dose peeps dat didn't die when Apep attackded, he corruptded. He made 'em inta slaves fer da Yuan-ti. Better dey had been killed. Oh, an' da Yuan-ti gave Al-Radeem a new, evil name. Peeps called its Kur-Khashal... Dat means Da City of Da Damned.

d7ce3680851b3724e2c6bd3c6191bc91.jpg

"Now iz dat one evil-lookin' city now or whats?"

(Image credit:
www.pinterest.com)

"Kur-Khashal fell outta da light so far dat Ra did nots shines on it any longers, or any lands near it. Living tings died off, wasted aways, until all dat was left waz da corrupt city. An' da Yuan-ti ate some of da slaves outta all da peeps dat loved Ra. If ya didn't get nommed, ya was forced ta work. Dey made 'em build dis huge wall around da whole city, so dat Ra would nevar get it backs...

"Well one day, Ra had
enuffa dat noise..

"Ra haz a whole lotta kids. But today, He went to da prettiest, most kickin' goddess of MOAR dere evar waz!
BAST!

Bastet-1.jpg

(Image credit:
www.majik.org)

il_fullxfull.80403393.jpg

(Image credit:
www.etsy.com)

155181accf9520f5c0124f2595bfc5f4.jpg

(Image credit: www.tattoobite.com)

"Yah... Dat's right... Bast iz so cool, she gits THREE PICS! MOAR!"

"Now bears wif me... 'cause now we haz ta go backwards 'bout 50 years agoes. Back when Ra wasn't so unhappies. See, Ra sez ta Bast, 'Hay, you see dese icky Yuan-ti guys?' An' she sez, 'Sees 'em? I kin smells 'em like filth in a strong winds!' Den Ra sez, 'Well, lissen. Iz time now for you ta make Moar. I wants Kitty-faces. Big, strong, fast Kitty-faces ta do battle one day wif dese Yuan-ti! One day, I tink I iz gonna need 'em. You kin does fer yer Pa?' An' Bast sez, 'Don't worries, daddy! I keeps your day sunny an' makes you Moar!' or sumthin ta dat effect. So, Bast mades us!

"We iz called da Felane. We waz brought ta life by Bast, her hubby Ptah (da rilly cosmic god)...

latest

(Image credit:
powerlisting.wikia.com)

"...An' her longest-livin's cleric, Kausheya."

6248ced59c1b2fd1c51f851f4745083d.jpg

(Image credit:
www.pinterest.com)

"Kausheya iz a Felane too, 'cept he is moar like yer size wif a whole long histories of hiz owns. Well, Bast made him quests all ovar Sharseya fer jus' da right ingredientses, an' when he waz finally dones, he came back to Bast an' sez, 'Here! You haz!' Bast tanked him by lickin' hiz face (iz true!)! Den she made us Felane in secrets. Deep in Rhumia's mostest dangerous of jungleses, Bast brought us ta life. She gave us da jungle of all jungles - Shaballah!

jungle-fantasy_00424621.jpg

(Image credit: wallpoper.com)

"Not only did she put us in dere, but Bast-lovin' peeps, too!"

An' da Peeps lived Happily Evar MOAR!

bast-cat-goddess-ancient-egypt.jpg

(Image credit:
egyptraveluxe.blogspot.com)

"She sez us Felane an' da Bast-peeps hadda work togethers, 'cause one day, she waz gonna call upon alla us ta do combats wif her enemies! One of us hadda open hiz big mouf an' ask, 'So how iz we gonna learn ta fights wiffout enemies?' So what doez Bast do? She gets dis giant bowl of evil snakeses an' dumps 'em all over da jungle! Dats when Big Mouf got smacked all up an' down! But Bast sez, 'Hey, I waz gonna do it anyway. From dis point on, both Felane an' peeps haz ta work tagether ta survives!

"Den Bast sez, 'I will come backs one day an' I will needs youse. If I come back to a whole lotta Kitty-face an' peep bones an' evil snakeses slitherin' arounds... well... I will knows you wazn't worth da effort. But if I comes back an' every last snakes is dead an' you guys an' gals iz prosperin'? I will gives you a whole
new race of bad guys ta fights! How'z dat sounds?'

"An' alla da Felane an' peeps gathered togetherz an' roared, 'PRAISE BAST!'"

"Den we got ta work! See, us Kitty-faces could hunt, fight, explores, protects, an' nurtures. Howevar, da peeps coulds invent, builds, maintains, governs, an' enhance Shaballah fer future generations! Togethers, we could haz MOAR! But first, we hadda make ourselvez a big city in Shaballah wiffout
evil snakes of all kinds tryin' ta get us every night an' day. Dose early days waz tuff an' sometimes sads, but we grew togethers! Under da leaderships of da very first Kitty-face Bast evar made, we kicked butt! Who iz he? Why, Felonius da First, of course!"

deva_leon_by_el_grimlock-d30vkak.jpg

"Felonius iz da bravest, strongest, most kickin' Kitty-face dere evar was!"

(Image credit:
www.deviantart.com)

"An' don't forgetz about Felonius's faithful sidekick! Da most loyals Kitty-face evar, Fatteus Catteus!"

fat-cat.jpg

"An' if Felonius iz about 10 feets tall, den Fatteus got him beat by at least 2 feets! Fatteus is da best!"

(Image credit:
1funny.com)

"An' finally, how kin we talk about da first two wiffout talkin' about da third of dat Kitty-face trio? Who iz I talkin' about? Only da very first Kitty-face barbarian evar (an' very first girl Felane), Hissy Fit!"

"Hissy in a good mood..."

images

"(Da big one not da bitty one...)"

(Image credit:
www15.imagesandwallpapers.com )

"...Annnn' Hissy Fit when ya make her mads..."

Threatening-Tiger-1920x1200.jpg

(Image credit:
hdw.eweb4.com)

"Now, why da Greek-soundin' names fer our very first Kitty-faces? Dat's another story. Suffices ta say dat Hephaestus, da Greek god of da Forge, once got hiz anvil stolen by evil snakey-guys. An' who did he calls upon fer helps? Da Purr-Heards-Across-Da-Universe... Bast! But names haz powerz where we comes from, so in dere wisdoms, dey hid dere real names an' went by da names we gave youse insteads! Smart, huh? Dat begans da Very First Kitty-Face Adventure EVAR starring Felonius, Fatteus Catteus, an' Hissy Fit! But, yah, dats another story..."

"So... ta wrap dis first part ups, let's come backs to da present day - Shaballah endureded long enuffs so dat when Bast returnded, she praised us! She said we had done as she wanted an' now we waz ta take on da foe we waz meant ta slay - da Yuan-ti! When Ra came fer help, she sent our whole Kitty-face race, peeps an' all, ta da evil city of Kur-Khashal. Da wall da Yuan-ti made around Kur-Khashal waz meant ta ward off
human invaders, but dey were not readies fer armed an' snarlin' Kitty-faces!

"After some serious strategies an' sneakin's, Bast's army went inta Kur-Khashal an' eventually conquered da whole city! We found da tunnels da Yuan-ti useded an' plugged up dere exits so dey had nowhere ta run. None of 'em escaped. We figger dat musta really made Apep mad. Well, too bad! On dat glorious day, Ra hizself came out in da sky an' gave sunlight over da whole realm! Dat sun lasted fer five whole days an' peeps waz happy all over!

"It waz hell (yah, I was dere). But we dids it! Turns out Kur-Khashal was too corrupts ta keep... so we hadda burn
da whole city to da ground. Sad, but finals. An' at least we killed every last Yuan-ti in dat place. Den we returned to our home, Shaballah, da Secret City. But one days, Apep an' his Yuan-ti are comin' back fer revenge. An' when dey does, da Kitty-faces of Bast is gonna be ready!"

"An' dats how da
Felane came ta be. Whew!"

Powerpaw lets out a deep breath while Mamapaw puts her paws together and claps proudly for him. Bria's eyes remain wide for some time as she digests the story and all of the details.

"Questions. You haz 'em?"

Luna is at a loss. "I know I should have questions, but there was just so much shared with us that it will take some time to get a grasp on it all. My goodness! So very much to learn about your people, and this is just a small slice of a larger whole."

Bren listens in fascination to the whole of the story, all completely new to him as it is to the others. He occasionally smiles at Powerpaw's enthusiastic storytelling, but is obviously trying very hard to store everything up in his mind. New gods, new monsters, new good guys and bad; there is so much to take in that for a few moments after the big fuzzy is done, he just sits and continues to soak it in. "Aye, a truly epic tale! I think I have many questions, but like Luna, it may take some time to actually think of them all!"

"Glad you likes!" The two Kitty-faces wait patiently while you digest the information. But then it strikes them - why just stand there waiting?

Powerpaw turns to his Mom with a joyful expression. He begins snapping his fingers, clapping his hands, and slapping his thighs while his tail swishes to and fro. Mamapaw nods and smiles, hearing this cue, and raises her paws above her head. She sings in a language you do not understand and performs some belly-dancing in to her rhythm. It sounds like a prayer given rhythm. Eyes closed, looking serene and happy, Sabrefang slowly sings, twists, and moves about to a song that sounds much like this:

[media]
[/media]

Words escape Wolf as well, or try to anyway - because he says nothing during Powerpaw's long narrative and instead proceeds to take notes on a piece of parchment; hurried scribbles of someone struggling to keep up. Several long moments after Powerpaw finished the ranger was still jotting words, now and then reading one in half-whispers as he reviewed and added to the growing mess.

"Ra... Apep... hm, hm, hm... Yuan-ti and Felane, yes. Amazing. Kur-Khashal... Hm. Bast. Whoah..."

He quiets down even those faint noises when Sabrefang starts to sing, focusing all his attention to her and continuing to look genuinely fascinated.

Otiorin sat, entranced by Powerpaw's stories. Ancient gods and their chosen champions, cities cast down and overthrown to be recaptured and purged, vicious monsters created and vanquished. He absorbed it all, the quirks of his Half-Elf mind absorbing every name, every event, every detail in the shimmering crystal lattice of his thoughts to be forever captured in his memories.

And then, Saberfang sang and he was dumbfounded listening to music that would have had even Elven bards taking notes.

"Thank you, both of you, for sharing such cherished parts of your history and culture with us.", he said simply once they had both finished.

"You iz welcomes," Powerpaw grins with great pleasure.

Both Felane appear willing to wait until the rest of the Wanderers have sorted out their thoughts long enough to ask questions. Besides, there is joy in the waiting for the mother and son who are at long last safely together.

"So... Melshaef," Otiorin started, settling on s name that was comfortable to his Elven tongue, "with your refuge lost, what are your plans now? Were there any others of your following lost or taken when it was attacked?"

The Half-Elf was intrigued by the talk of this great list of favored beings, but was not presumptuous enough to ask how he might seek entry into it himself.

Luna looks up at her and the Daughters of Summer. "Yes, is there anything we can do to make your stay with us more agreeable?"

Wringing her paws (apparently out of nervous habit), Mamapaw stops and thinks hard for a few moments. Then, she replies to Otiorin and Luna. "I do not know if anyone at my tree was lost. I was not present when it fell. The Painless told me about it when they were breaking--" She glances down at her paws then shakes her head. "I do know I was the only one captured."

She sighs. The sound (like most of those made here) echoes around the cavernous Great Pool. Finally, her gaze rests upon the beautiful blue water. She closes her eyes. Her voice is faint. "At first, I thought they might be telling me these things to hurt me, but.. I felt... I felt my tree die. It was... it was like losing one of my children." She sniffs. "But, unbeknownst to my captors, I have lost kittens before. Not every Felane in a litter survives to infancy - only those strong of heart and strong of will. I believe Blessed Bast would have it no other way."

Mamapaw slowly lifts her chin and looks to Powerpaw. "As for plans? Hmph. My only plans a short time ago were to die with dignity and pray for my lost son. But now that Motherly Bast has seen to our reunion..." a grin forms upon her lips, "my only plans are to stay with my son for as long as he can endure me."

"I kin 'endures' youse fer quite a long time, Mom," Powerpaw approaches her and gives her a big friendly lick across the side of her face. "Youse moar den my momma - you iz also my friend. An' youse always haz been."

"You really don't mind your weepy, wandering mother nearby on your adventures?"

"My mom who crossed da whole sea ta find me? My mom who nevar judged me fer my silly-soundin' voice or da way I speaks my wordses?" Powerpaw shakes his head and licks her again. "Naw, Mom. When da Painless pulled dat big cloth up, you were da last person on Sharseya I thoughts I would see in dat stinkin' cage. An' you wound up in dat cage in part because I lefts Shaballah." He looks her in the eye. "I doezn't know how long you kin go wiffout goin' back ta Shaballah, but you kin stay by my sides az long as you wants."

They hug again, deeply and gratefully, becoming one big mass of fur and love.

When they release, Mamapaw holds her son's paws and asks, "Son, why did you leave Shaballah?"

Powerpaw turns to all of you with a fiery glint in those red eyes. "You guyz wanna know? I doezn't mind sharin' an' like I saids before, youse haz earned da right."

"Wait," Mamapaw holds up a claw. "That is the second time you have said that. A mother wonders... just how did all of you earn this right?"

Powerpaw snickers. "Mom, you wasn't da only one locked up in a cage around heres; waz she, you guys? Hoo hooo hooo!" Again, he turns to you. "You guys wanna tell Mom how we mets or shall I? You kin make it da quick version, if you wanna. An' any of youse wanna know why I left Shaballah?"

The Daughters of Summertime, in reply to Luna's question, fold their tiny hands, and look to each other. They nod in unison and speak song-like using but a trio of words. What could make their stay more pleasant?

"More grapes, please!"

Bria rolls her eyes and, being nearest to it, hands Luna the only surviving bowl of grapes from your meal. Luna is closest to Mamapaw upon whom the Daughters rest (on her head, shoulders, and tail at the moment... =) ).

Luna laughs. "Grapes it is. While you eat, I would like to ask, do you know what the sorcerer that held you captive wanted to do with you? If I knew what he had planned, I might be able to keep whatever it was from happening to you again." She hands over the bowl to the fairies, and as she waits for the answer, she grabs a couple of strawberries and nibbles. "I feel a personal obligation to you, since he was a member of my own order of mages. His actions are a blight on the good name of all the students and followers of Boccob."

Bren smiles at the interaction of mother and son. He never grows weary of seeing two good-hearted people expressing their love for each other.

Dannigan said:
Powerpaw snickers. "Mom, you wasn't da only one locked up in a cage around heres; waz she, you guys? Hoo hooo hooo!" Again, he turns to you. "You guys wanna tell Mom how we mets or shall I? You kin make it da quick version, if you wanna. An' any of youse wanna know why I left Shaballah?"
Bren laughs. "I'll let those who were there tell that story, for I met him after he'd joined up." He looks particularly at Otiorin, thinking that the half-elf's silvery tongue likely makes him a better storyteller than Bren is. "And I surely want to know all you want to tell me! Shaballah seems a wondrous place, I am indeed curious as to why you would leave it."

The Daughters of Summertime glance at each other as Luna the fire-mage hands them the bowl of grapes. A conversation among wood-faeries ensues...

"Oooh, grapes!"

"Careful! Remember, that's Bright Fire!"

"Why should I? Bright Fire helped rescue Melshaef - they are Forest-friends now..."

"Maybe, but remember what she did at the Wellspring of Change?"

"So what?"

"Well... the grapes may be hot or something?"

"..."

This causes the first of the daughters to stop reaching for the grapes and playfully pounce on her sister. Meanwhile, the third daughter casually strolls and flutters over their squeaking, wrestling tangle of limbs to sit on the edge of Luna's offered bowl. She tries to pull a grape from its stem with all of her might. Faeries, however, have never been much in the way of might, so she has to struggle until Sparkle intervenes with a "humph." From her cat-like curled-up sitting position in Luna's lap (the best place for belly rubs in all of Sharseya, don't you know), Sparkle swipes her tail and neatly severs the grape from its stem. This causes the third daughter to crash into the first two and a fight over the grape ensues.

Vardadraug sees this and whines. With one tiny paw over his face, he sends. Woodland faeries never change... Give them 500 years of life and liberty and they remain.

One of the daughter's heads pops up out of the melee with a burst of yellow hair. "Remain what?" Followed by another. "Yes, just what are you saying, Exalted Wolf?" And the third... "Complete your thought!"

Vardadraug slowly stands up on all fours and scratches his ear with his rear leg. Well, Bright Fire has asked you something. And look at you. Instead of answering her, you are fighting over... a grape.

"Hey now! We're justified!" "It's a sweet grape! At least... it looks sweet!" "Hey, you're not after our grape, are you? We will get you!" "Why wait? Get him-get him-get hiiiiim!!" Suddenly, they shoot into the air and after Vardradraug with the quick and unpredictable flying manner of butterflies, but the Exalted Wolf seems to have been expecting this. Faster than the eye can easily follow, Vardadraug zips between Luna and Wolf. The Daughters of Summertime give chase as Vardadraug zips behind and around Wolf. Without warning, Vardadraug skids to a stop. He then proceeds to sniff Wolf's arrows and yawn as if bored.

Boy, time certainly has slowed you three...

"What?!" "That's it!!" "You've had it!!" "Dive-boooooooooooomb!!"

The Daughters of Summertime spin around and come diving down at him full speed. But at the last moment, Vardadraug hops to the side and in go each of the woodland faeries - straight into Wolf's quiver...

Wolf's quiver immediately begins bouncing and dancing around like a thing possessed! Vardadraug then pushes enough arrows out of the way so as to block the mouth of the quiver with his furry little puppy body, partially stuffing himself inside in the process. Wolf's quiver squeals and shrieks in girlish voices that echo strangely. "Hey!!" "No fair dodging!" "You tricked us!"

Oh, like that was hard to do...

"HEY!" "We'll get you!!" "Why did you do that anyway?"

Oh, I just wanted your grape.

"YOU WHAT?!"

I tease. I put you in here for two reasons: To show you just how easy it still is to capture you (in the hopes that you will learn to make yourselves harder to capture) and so that you will answer Luna's questions without further distractions.

"Oh." "Yeah." "That's smart. I guess." "What were the questions again?"

After someone repeats the questions, Wolf's Quiver relates, again in girlish voices that echo weirdly.

"First off, it was no sorcerer, but a wizard!" "Yeah, and a Master Wizard too!" "He said so!" "Karthas the Master Wizard! Like he's some big shot or something!" "Picking on us poor little woodland faeries... some Master Wizard he is!"

"Second... Um.... did he say what he was going to do to us?" "I think he was going to..." "He sure was. He was all ready to brag!" "Brag like a wanna-be big shot!" "Yeah, that's when that big BIG burst of fire blew him up!" "Yeah, and the Wellspring of Change shrieked in fear! Did you hear it?" "I did!" "Only it didn't burn him up." "Yeah... it just... made him mad..." "REAL mad." "Like your fire interrupted something important!" "Then he placed us down on the center of the Wellspring of Change." "Yeah, he didn't want anything happening to us for some reason." "Then he went running after you!" "And that's when we met Sparkle!" "Sparkle rolled us outside the heart of the wellspring..." "And then Vardadraug came!" "Yeah! He helped push our globe around!" "We got dizzy!" "There sure was a lot of pushing..." "Yeah, and boy did Sparkle grumble about it!"

Sparkle at this point puts her own claw over her forehead just as Vardadraug had done earlier. Sparkle reaches over just far enough to thwap Wolf's quiver with her tail. "That is enough out of you... I had perfectly good reason to grumble!"

Still half-stuck in Wolf's quiver, Vardadraug looks up to Wolf as if to say, "See the things I do? I lead a strange life! Just like you!" But then the Exalted Wolf peers up to Luna. Everyone hears his gallant voice in their minds (unless they resist). Did you have any further questions before they think of something mischievous to do to my rear end?

Shocked, Mamapaw just gapes wordlessly through all of this, completely at a loss as what to do (or if to do anything at all). Powerpaw folds his burly arms, turns to her, and chuckles, "Welcome ta life wif da Wanderers, Mom..."

Luna laughs. "Let us not bring any harm to your fuzzy hindquarters. I believe that we have gotten from them most of what they can offer up in the way of information. But, I must ask one last question of the Daughters: What you did for Otiorin, can you do for the rest of us, too? I hate to sound greedy, but how can I pass up a chance to increase my spellcasting power in a way that will not be a harm to the woodlands and its spirits in the way that Karthas was? Besides," she gets a bit grim, "we never saw a body to know he is done for. Besides, there are necromatic powers out there that can bring the likes of him back from the dead. I would hate to run into him again and not have every arrow in my quiver that I can, and everyone here did help to free you."

Wolf is completely stumped by the chase between Vardadraug and the fairies and looks mildly annoyed at the long, jagged line of ink across the notes he'd been working on. He leaves control of the quiver to Vadadraug and waits patiently.

Bronze wanders around the Forge-Wagon and starts drawing stuff up for Mom-Paw to look over, and starts drawing designs for rings for the group.

Bren laughs, shaking his head at the Daughters' antics. He glances at MamaPaw. "Do such as they ever grow up, or are they always like this?" He shakes his head again for a different reason as he realizes Luna's questions have derailed the Roundabout, and wonders if she'd paid any attention when Bria explained how things were supposed to work or if the wizardess had just ignored it in favor of her own desires. Lawfuls and chaotics didn't always get along, he knew from previous experience, but it did help when both sides tried. "When the Daughters have made their answer - assuming they don't think grapes are more important! - let us return to Powerpaw and Lady Saberfang, shall we? It's still their turn. I know I'm very interested in what they have to say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one."

Bria discreetly looks at Luna. She is pointing at both the fighting stick and the two people behind it. "Um... Roundabout?" When Bren speaks, Bria relaxes a little, her pretty face wearing a hopeful expression. "I want to know too!"

Then a tiny bit of chaos ensues inside Wolf's quiver. Vardadraug's eyes widen as he looks behind him at the "talking" quiver. And, oh, is there talking! Unfortunately, it is not the logical and clear-thinking kind, but the childish kind that leads to, and runs with, incorrect conclusions. Such are the minds of woodland faeries.

"Hey! Is Bright Fire saying that we owe everybody the same gift we provided Otiorin the half-elf?" "I feel pressured..." "Yeah! By the first dawn, how are we supposed to do that?!" "Wait! Didn't she say Karthas the Master Wizard was dead?!" "It sure sounded like it!" "Oh! Think it's true?" "Of course it is, silly! She's a wizard! If anyone ought to know if a wizard is dead, it's another wizard!" "Yeah, Bright Fire probably used a crystal ball or something!" "Or a magic mirror!" "Let's have a celebration, right here, right now!!" "Please let us out Vardadraug!" "We promise to behave for the length of the celebration!"

Um.... Well, if you promise... Vardadraug's little canine eyes widen even larger at the news and he pulls himself out of Wolf's quiver. Then he sits beside Wolf, looking up at the ranger as if wanting his take on the news. The cheering continues as the tiny woodland faeries dance in mid-air, trailing rainbow light in the mystical circle they have made with their joined hands.

"Yeaaaah!!" "Hooray!" "Karthas is dead! Karthas the evil wizard is dead!"

Powerpaw sighs. His whiskers droop as he folds his arms silently. Mamapaw and Bria both wear surprised and puzzled expressions at the news.

About this time, Pecker glides over and with a great flapping of his beautiful white and brown wings, lands at Wolf's side. To Vardadraug and Wolf, the hunter chirps. "What happens?"

We celebrate the death of an evil wizard.

"Oh," tweets Pecker. "He haz fish?"

Mamapaw turns to Bria. "Is there anything in the rules of the Roundabout that do not allow a moment of reflection?"

Bria nods. "Oh, certainly! If you need a moment to yourself, by all means."

"I shall return shortly."

Mamapaw bows to everyone present and walks through the purple cloud hanging before the front door to the Adventurers' Wagon. Once outside, she looks into the sky, sees the passing clouds, and listens to the wind through the trees, and sighs in relief. What a day it has been! For long moments, the motherly Felane sits on the driver's seat with her eyes closed, digesting all that has happened, all that is happening, and wondering about the days to come.

When she lifts from her meditation, her eyes fall upon Bronze who is clearly busy in his work. She steps toward him carefully in the hopes that her large body, claws, and fangs do not intimidate him as they have other people of his species. "I must return inside shortly, but I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your kindness."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf greets Pecker's arrival with a joyful smile but is unsure what to tell him at first. "I have no idea, but I am done eating here. After this Roundabout thing is over we can go scouting to see if there is a river or lake around here from which we could procure some fish for you."

Luna lets out a small sigh. "Well, so much for hoping. Ah, well. Don't worry about it. Being a friend of the forest now is a wondrous thing as it is. Thank you for that."

"Whoa, now, little ones." Bren shakes his head a little regretfully. "I hate to interrupt the celebration, but we really have no proof of Karthas' demise. What we do know is that Skaagenrackner (you know him, I believe?) promised to keep us safe from Karthas and his minions while we made our escape with the Daughters of Summertime. It is tempting to assume that the great earth elemental was able to destroy him, but unless and until I've seen proof - or heard from one who has - I'll not assume the evil wizard is gone." He sighs. "Now then, if the side issues are settled for now, shall we return to the Roundabout? And if you three would continue to behave, even though the celebration must needs be postponed?" He looks rather sternly at the faeries, though his expression is a little marred by the smile he's trying to hide.

Outside, Mamapaw and Bronze share a brief conversation and then Bronze gets to work on the items on his list. Mamapaw bows to Bronze once again in sincere gratitude and walks toward the entrance to the Adventurers' Wagon. She pauses before entering and looks toward the heavens with a sunlit smile on her furry face. Then she inhales and exhales slowly. Sometimes, there is nothing better than a breath of fresh air. Then reenters the Roundabout and rejoins Powerpaw, appearing refreshed and pleased.

Inside, Pecker holds his head high at the promise of fish. He preens himself and pays little attention to much else.

The Daughters of Summertime excitedly glance back and forth from Bren to Luna. "You mean he really isn't dead?" "I guess you're right - anyone can hear and feel the Old Stone coming when he's on a rampage...." "What are we supposed to celebrate now?" "Oh, be careful! Shield Stallion is looking all stern at us!" "Do you think he's angry?" "He seems to be grinning, kind of!" "Oh!" "We'll still behave!" "Really, we will!" And the three woodland faeries flap about and plop down on Vardadraug. They gleefully hug his fur. In return, he marches around and gives them a little ride around Wolf and Luna. Several times, they all nearly fall over.

Powerpaw on the other hand is not pleased. Arms still crossed, he shakes his head as he watches the Daughters of Summertime, Luna, Vardadraug, and then Bria's fighting stick before him. He begins to speak, but then sharply clamps his mouth shut as he reconsiders his course of action in an attempt to keep his temper in check. Then he turns to Bria. "I thoughts dis was our turn ta share?"

Bria looks turned off. "It was. Roundabouts are a lot more orderly among my own people. I don't know what to say. I am sorry about that."

"Izn't yer fault, but tanks. So now whats?"

Bria holds up her hands. "Well, I guess continue with what you have to share. The interested will pay attention as you did and those who aren't interested will... do what they do?"

Powerpaw shrugs. "Okies... Mom, you wanna go next an' den we'll call it day?"

Mamapaw nods. "Certainly. There will be plenty of time for stories later. I will share but one now about an incident that happened in our family in Shaballah. Those of you with litter-mates, er, siblings, might relate."

Mamapaw's gaze drifts past you as she dives into her considerable well of memories and draws forth a time very special to her. Her expression gains a dreamy quality coupled with a motherly smile.

"Ohh," she purrs, "I remember one bright morning at home, I was preparing fish planks for our noon-time meal when in bursts my oldest son, Razortooth, followed by the rest of my kittens. In the span of a breath, I went from being by myself with only baskets of fish for company to having nine other troubled Felane in my kitchen. And Razortooth was in the center of it!

Razortooth was in such pain! It had been six whole years since last I saw undue moisture in his bold eyes, and here he was standing before me, near to tears like a newborn kitten!

35463-bigthumbnail.jpg

(Image credit:
animals.desktopnexus.com)

"Mooommm," he grimaced. "Make the pain stop! Get him
off me!"

Facing him, I looked him over from top to bottom. "I don't see a wound on you, my son!"

And there before all, he
very carefully reached back behind him and brought forth his fluffy and bloody tail! And what was attached to it?

A faceful of Powerpaw teeth to which was attached my youngest, Baby Powerpaw!

Baby-white-tiger.jpg

(Image credit:
www.cutestpaw.com)

Every one of his teeny claws were out and his fur was an explosive display of black and white in every direction. Oh, and his teeth! Razortooth maw as well have caught his tail in a steel leg-trap! Baby Powerpaw's sharp wall of teeth were clamped in a death-grip and locked down more firmly than a portcullis - a portcullis that kept making cute, high-pitched "Rrrr! Rrrr!" sounds with his mouth full!

I believe you have heard this before... =)

[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHURUTDU6g[/media]

But the biggest feature of all was his
face. Beneath those eager crimson eyes beamed the most satisfied grin I have ever seen a child of mine display.

Biting his lower lip, Razortooth pointed woefully down at his little brother. "Ow, ow... Mom! We can't get him to
let go!"

"Well," I inquired, "how did he
get there in the first place?"

There was a pause. And then a gulp. "I punted him."

"And
why did you do that?"

"To... show him who's boss..."

"Well, we certainly know who the boss is
now, don't we?"

"MOOOOM!! Ow, ow, ow!"
His litter-mates burst out laughing.

But I was not laughing. I felt my ears flatten. My eyes narrowed as my tail swished dangerously across my kitchen floor. I pointed right up into my oldest son's face. "
What did I tell you before? Stop picking on your baby brother or this will become a habit. Is that what you want?"

"No, Mom..."

"Do you
agree to stop picking on him or not?"

"Ow! I agree, I agree! This hurts!"

"Remember," I growled from deep within my chest as warning, "
you agreed." And then calmed myself and set about to the difficult talk of removing my ten-month-old to whom I can barely communicate from my thirteen-year-old's tail. I sat Razortooth on the floor, then I dropped down on all fours to Powerpaw's level, and looked into his eyes. They looked back. And more. The baby smiled a little, perhaps out of pride, but I noted there was deep apprehension in his expression too.

"Good!" I thought. At least he seemed to pay attention to me despite the blood in his mouth. I tried talking to him, though I did not think it would work. And I was right...

"Rrrr! Rrrr!" is all I got back. Oh, the baby was bound and determined to
keep those little jaws shut.

Time for plan B. I went to the able and selected a fine cut of fish. Quite an aroma it had! This, I dangled inches from his little nose with my fingers back in case just he suddenly snapped at the meal. But... no game.

Then I noticed just how more roughed-up his fur was than usual. And I noticed something else I had missed before under the baby's fur...

Bruise marks...

"
Son," I stood and scolded Razortooth, "have you forgotten? 'If you are big enough to hit, you are big enough to be hit!'"

"Ow! Mom, I hadda try ta get him offa me! This hurts so bad!"

"Not
this way you don't. Oh, and don't think for a moment that you get to stay home from school today; if I cannot remove him in time, you go to school with him on."

"Noooooooooooooo!!" My eldest put his face in his paw in shame. To this teenager, his world was coming to an end. The humiliation he would receive at school would last for Blessed Bast knows how long...

"Mother," my eldest daughter approached. "Perhaps we can wait until the baby gets sleepy and takes a nap?"

"Good thinking, Shimmer!"

Still, that would not spare Razortooth the humiliation of having to carry his punted baby brother around with him at school. I could only imagine how his schoolmates would tease him.

"Why, what in Glorious Bastet's name is going on here? And why are the kittens not off to school yet?" Into the kitchen walked the most handsome Felane Mother Bast had ever made -
my husband.

I purred just looking at him. He turned his attention down on the kitchen floor and saw the scene for himself. Razortooth curled there unable to look his father in the eye while his youngest son remained maniacally attached, his own expression wary and uncertain. But he looked up and grinned with great pleasure when he saw his father looming over him. Powerpaw's eyes were saying, "Daddy!" though the baby did not yet speak.

My husband regarded our oldest with pity - an action which wounded both of them for they were born of Brave Bast. Oh, to be brought low on your mother's floor by your ten-month-old baby brother, the runt of his litter?

My husband addressed Razortooth. "Oh, you cry as if he has you in a nerve bite." I showed him the wound. "Bast's breasts! He has you in a nerve-bite! But perhaps if you are quick enough..." He reached down to covertly snatch Powerpaw up.

"No, Dad!" Razortooth cried.

But it was too late. Powerpaw bit down.

Razortooth yowled in such pain that made half my kittens reach for their ears. Then he cringed, took deep breaths, and suddenly looked very, very tired.

Shimmer explained to her father. "We tried to get the baby off that way, Dad - he just bites down harder!"

"Even when you were beating him?" My husband had noticed the bruises.

"
Especially when Razortooth was--" Shimmer bit her lip.

My husband nodded with pride. "Really? Now
that is a child I can be proud of." And those words stung every kitten present for each of them wince or appeared shocked. Still, everyone knew he had not said that to cause shame, but instead to soundly put voice to the heavy expectations he had of his bloodline.

"What are we to do?" Shimmer asked.

I replied. "The road to release begins in his tiny little mind." The longer I studied my baby, the more I began to put myself in his place. Relation brings understanding. What was going on behind those red and ready eyes? I descended to the floor again. I put myself fully into Baby Powerpaw's field of vision,
slowly held out my arms for a hug, and gave him my warmest smile. "Come to Mama!"

"Rrrr!" He saw and stood up on all fours! But something made him pause. He looked down at the rest of the long furry tail in his teeth and then back to me with a curious expression. To this day, I do believe he was trying to offer me a length of his brother's tail to chew on.

Well,
that was not going to work... but what had I learned?

My mind's eye stared only at the facts. Razortooth had punted Powerpaw. Instead of fleeing or submitting, Powerpaw retaliated in such a way that the punting stopped. Certainly he had no desire to keep clamped on Razortooth's tail for the rest of his life, but how else to stop the puntings? Powerpaw had not been a mean or vengeful kitten, but he did not enjoy pain any more than the rest of us.

Then the answer became clear! We had to take little mind off of the puntings! This was no easy feat for a mind that determined, but few things worth having come easy.

It should be said that when we created our pride, my husband needed that it be a pride of "holy-minded, hunter-hearted" Felane. "Protectors and providers," in other words. My own needs followed along the arts and the earth. "Sustenance and soil," I told him. I referred to music and the care of the land we called our own. And we agreed wholeheartedly as we do on most matters.

Music... Perhaps that was the key. A loud, little concert before school. Practice, if any of the other prides asked.

"Everyone!" I clapped. "Go to the music room, fetch an instrument of choice, and return here! We play!" I was met with more than a fair share of confused looks. "Hustle!" I pointed. I must have sounded cross for even my husband made haste. Only Razortooth remained. While they plucked and played in the other room, I searched my mind. Ah! I knew
just the tune! I called it out and got eager responses.

My pride returned with their parts and instruments into the kitchen and there among the baskets of fish we had a nice-sized band, positioned correctly, attentive, and ready to play. Not bad for a bunch of cats, is it?

We prepared to play for our tiny audience of one. All of the sudden activity had those two little ruby eyes moving about in interest. To my surprise, Razortooth
insisted on being part of the performance. On drums. I think he wanted some of role in hs release, however small, or if that failed, at least he had something to beat on. I retrieved his drums for him.

We looked down at Baby Powerpaw. He looked up at us in anticipation. As a member of our pride, he knew what we were about to do even if he could not fathom the reason behind it.

I raised my strings. "Here we go! One, two!"

[media]
[/media]

Suddenly the soul-filling sounds of strings, flutes, and drums filled the air and my kitchen, though large, filled quickly with beautiful sounds. Being inside, the music was quite loud!

I peered at Baby Powerpaw - we had his full attention! Those little paws were moving! I think he was trying to keep time! How adorable! I thought it might be the volume.

"Louder!"

"What?" My husband shouted from behind his strings.

I said louder! More volume!"

"What, mother?"

"More volume! More!"

"More?!"

"More!"

And then... it finally happened! Baby Powerpaw gave a big, big smile, opened his mouth, and said his very first word!

"Mmmmmmmooooooooaaaaaaaaarrr!"

The very moment those tiny jaws released, Razortooth yanked his tail back to him, curled up into a miserable ball, and wept.

a_tdy_brown_tigers2_100804.jpg

(Image credit:
www.nbcnews.com)

Mamapaw bows to you in closure. Powerpaw and Bria clap and smile.

Bren listens attentively to Mamapaw's story, and like Bria and Powerpaw, he claps appreciatively when it is over. "A fine tale, and one that tells us some 'moar' about the two of you, as well!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back