• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Seven: Full House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!

"That's that, then," Elinor nods, smiling. "I love 'em already!"

This earns an agreeing nod and a smirk from Captain Piper.

Elinor laughs right along with him. "Let's save the future before we start investigatin' the past, OK?" she teases.

"Right-o!" Professor Stein bows his head and concedes.

"The Mindbender," she begins, looking at Hitomi as possibly the best one to answer, though really she isn't sure who would know best. "When it adds skills, are those like technopathic experiences, or is it a shortcut to actually learnin' things? What I mean is, if we let the machine teach us something, do we know just what it teaches, and that's it? Or does actual life experience improve our skill just like it does with things we've studied for ourselves? And if we drop one and then pick it up again later, do we start where we left off, or from scratch?" She still isn't sure she's conveyed it just right, but it's hard finding words for things she's never encountered before.

Hitomi grimaces at some medical thoughts that enter her mind, but with the grace of a practiced professional, she sorts it all out and presents her best data. "The skill being replaced recesses into the brain. The skill doing the replacing begins at its earliest possible stage, benefitting both from the learning ability of the subject and the subject's own occupational understanding of the skill in question. Put in other words, imagine skills are automobiles in the garage of your mind. You park the car you've been driving and stick the keys in a brand-new car with no miles on it whatsoever, enhanced only by your intelligence quotient and the education your occupation's provided you. If you park another car and want to drive an old favorite, you just pick up where you left off with the same mileage on each vehicle.

"Uh, how's that sound?" Hitomi's smile is lovely but her eyes are looking about in the hopes people are following her analogy.

"I followed it just fine," Professor Stein quips.

"You've heard this all before, you old wizard!"

As you proceed along the Broadsword's corridors, Professor Stein stands a little straighter and struts along a little at the mention of his title.

"We're almost to Drake's," Piper continues to lead the way.

Last edited:
Elinor1sm.jpg

Elinor's character sheet
Action Points: 8/8
Bonus action point: 1
"Uh, how's that sound?" Hitomi's smile is lovely but her eyes are looking about in the hopes people are following her analogy.
"Makes sense," Elinor acknowledges. "And good to know. Makes it more appealin', knowin' we haven't lost anythin' really, just put it on pause."

She waits and listens if others have anything to add, to this or to previous topics. When the conversation seems to be lagging, she speaks up once more, this time glancing between Captain Sharp and Professor Stein. "You said our assets were frozen. But we were declared dead, right? As I recall, that oughta kick off a different chain of paperwork than if we were just missin' still. Specific'ly, next of kin, death benefits, and all, so whatever we had should've got shipped or transferred back home to our families, or whoever's on the forms we signed when we signed up." In Elinor's case, that's her mother, Annie Hall. "So shouldn't all our bank accounts and stuff have been sent to them?" She frowns, shaking her head. "And is it even ethical to want them to have it, since we aren't actually dead? I mean, I do, 'cause if they've got to have the pain of losin' us then I'd like 'em to have whatever comfort my stuff and the insurance will give. But would they have to give it back when an' if we turn up alive again? Officially, I mean."

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon Tag! (This post is kind of important so I'm tagging all of you.) =)

"Makes sense," Elinor acknowledges. "And good to know. Makes it more appealin', knowin' we haven't lost anythin' really, just put it on pause."

Hitomi adds. "That's a good way of describing it. Without access to that skill, it's like having a car with no keys; the skill is there but completely inaccessible until you swap it out for another skill. You're just left with memories of what you used to be able to do with it. At least that was my experience when I did it."

"So shouldn't all our bank accounts and stuff have been sent to them?" She frowns, shaking her head. "And is it even ethical to want them to have it, since we aren't actually dead? I mean, I do, 'cause if they've got to have the pain of losin' us then I'd like 'em to have whatever comfort my stuff and the insurance will give. But would they have to give it back when an' if we turn up alive again? Officially, I mean."

Captain Sharp grimaces. "This is entering the knowledge-zone normally mastered by non-combatants. In other words, I usually have a staff that answers these kinds of questions."

Professor Stein leans over to Captain Hiram Sharp and adds, "Thankfully, Project Eternity of the United Earth Government comes with its very own social worker who has been toiling day and night for a solution!"

Together, like the old friends they are, they both turn and together sing out, "Hitooomiii!"

Hitomi bows at the waist as Japanese often do. "I swear! You two are just a pair of grown-up boys! O.K., Wild Cards! Remember that little plan of mine I mentioned a little while back? The one concerning your deaths? With a little bit of help from the Prof and our latest Captain - you know, those two little boys over there with the big grins on their faces - I've been able to work out a little Hitomi magic."

Hitomi counts along her fingers starting with her thumb. "First, yes your accounts are frozen solid and yes, your families should get them, but this takes months to happen. At least two. But yes, whatever was in there goes to them with one exception." Hitomi taps Toph on the shoulder. "That's you, oh pink-haired one. "Would you believe your mother gets what's in your account when she returns to Earth? Yes, the very same Mom from the future who's in cryogenic sleep here on the Broadsword and isn't getting out without the elusive Zeki-held Isotope-9? You can imagine the red tape she'll have to go through if she ever tries to collect it. My point, people, is this - forget about those accounts; you're not ever likely to see them again.

"However..." Hitomi twirls her index finger, "...the same does not apply to your belongings! You know... Hercules's potted plant, Shirley's burned-out dress locker and 1969 red Corvette..."

"Baby!" Mack squeaks with glee.

Hitomi continues, "...Elinor's fishing kit and so on. Well, according to a report I received about six hours ago, the Global Military Police have made all those things disappear out of your old rooms on Eglin and into a safe place that belongs to Project Eternity. All I have to do is go pick it all up - of course, anybody who wants to lend some muscles," Hitomi winks at Mario and Hercules, "would be appreciated. This all should take place within the next few days if we want to be smart about it. And speaking of needing Wild Card help...

Hitomi looks to every one of you. "...With the exception of Cera here, I need a personal touch to keep this little plan of mine in operation. I've come to the conclusion that since we can't bring your family aboard the Broadsword and bringing you to them is nothing short of tempting fate, I need some way to prove to your families that you're very much alive. So..." Hitomi reaches into a pocket and fishes out some Solid State Drive USB sticks. "...if I could get each of you in front of a camera for about 15 minutes, more or less, you could provide your own personal, 'Hey Mom and Dad - I'm alive' message without betraying this ship, its mission, or anything else vital. That tickle your fancies, Wild Cards?"

Mack steps forward with a surfer's eagerness. "That's super! Why not do it right now? I'm ready!"

Hitomi glances to Professor Stein. The tall bearded fellow slowly shakes his head. "My dear Mack, perhaps it is for the best that you stick to close air support and running this squadron, for I fear you would have great difficulties in the realm of espionage. Think a moment! Here and now? With the Broadsword as your background and you in a UEEF uniform complete with whatever background talking and noise? Imagine the holiday General Steele would have if he came across such a recording."

Mack blanches and smacks her forehead. "Oh. Right. Like, duh!"

Hitomi says, "If you all agree to this, I can set up a sterile photo-op that's untraceable. I just need each one of you for about 15 minutes at a time. You can leave the deliveries to me. What do you say?"

Last edited:
Cera rises to leave as Trouble prances around eagerly looking for a Wild Card to pick him up and carry him.
If noone else offers Trouble a ride, Ylva will certainly swoop up Trouble. Can't have one of the most deserving squad members back in the hangar when the action is elsewhere, right? Who knows if the "Drake's" is a place where kittens from space belong; but from what the Swede can tell, Trouble belongs with the team, and has seen more of the universe than she could ever hope for. Well, until recently, at least...

"Adorable, indeed. Glad you made it all the way to us, must've been quite the change." A short pause as she strokes Trouble's back, less fluffy but more futuristic. "One thing I was wondering - have your people always lived on Terrestria, with the Broo? 'Kittens from space' sounds like you've been up to other space travel shenanigans before." Another pat on the head. "Plus, you got it all perfect on the first try, right? Feels like you knew exactly what you were up to..."

What follows are more questions, and their answers. Things that make sense, but will probably need to be considered a second time. At least, the Swede will read through the fine print if the Mindbender's ever where she's headed. Not yet, certainly. Last thing she needs is a machine that lets her forget what little she understands of the world.

After that - good news, at least for the others. If their shelves are as empty as hers, even a few remnants of their previous lives will make quite a difference. Her own stuff's probably stranded in the middle of nowhere, not even close to Eglin. Not much point in bringing it up; too much effort for too little gain. There's a war going on, one that'll end up with mankind's enslavement unless things drastically change. None of her things will make a difference in any of that. besides, there's a more important matter at hand. A chance to put things right, without alarming the world at large...

Hitomi says, "If you all agree to this, I can set up a sterile photo-op that's untraceable. I just need each one of you for about an hour at a time. Leave the deliveries to me. What do you say?"

"Not sure how daily schedules look like here, yet, but there'll certainly be time for that. There has to be. Thanks. I mean it. Can't say my mind has digested all of this yet, but it's good to have an out in sight. Doesn't make the days now any less devastating, but at least it'll be over. Heck, it's been way longer for others here, right?" There's a brief pause as she ponders over implications and details she's not supposed to worry about. "How's it going to work, though? You send them a message with the vid, I take it. Ask them to keep it secret, of course. But it'll still change things, for them... even if they try to move on like they did before." Another pause. "There's another thing. My people aren't in one place. Father's in Japan, Mom's at home, my brother-in-spirit is north, with his family. Is that too many places, and people? Mom's gotta know, of course. So only tell her? Where's the limit?" It's true that the whole mess, caused by her death, didn't sink in just yet. That still doesn't mean that she doesn't care, or can't expect the worst.

Mario has little in the way of personal savings in his bank account to be too worried about his fundage being locked up and sent to his parents, since they are the only next of kin he has. Same for his belongings. He does have a kickin' collection of music from various classic artists, but it is nothing that he'd die without, and who knows? The ship probably has a decent collection of personal entertainment stuff on board that will take him time to explore. If not, it will be an adventure in itself to get some more classic Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, and even some of the awesome guitar riffs of Joe Satriani.

He says, "Most of my stuff is my military issued gear, and that is all obsolete now that I have a whole new uniform to put on. There are a few personal belongings that I have that I'll miss, but it is all replaceable. Its no skin off of my back to lose that stuff, especially since I have a bunch of cool new toys to play with; most notably the Mjolinrs!" He grins at Cera. "Besides, I doubt that with our new mission I'll have time to have a lot of downtime to enjoy my music collection."

When he hears about the plan to record a special video message to mom and dad, Mario feels a great weight lift off of his shoulders. "Being able to send my family a message that I'm alive but temporarily involved in a special mission would be a huge relief for them. I can remember how upset we all were when my brother was killed over Ontario. It tore us all up for a long time. I hope that this will bring them some relief from the pain that they must be feeling right now. But yes, we need to be very careful and sanitize our messages out to make sure that there is nothing that will compromise the ship, our mission, or endanger our loved ones."

"Adorable, indeed. Glad you made it all the way to us, must've been quite the change." A short pause as she strokes Trouble's back, less fluffy but more futuristic. "One thing I was wondering - have your people always lived on Terrestria, with the Broo? 'Kittens from space' sounds like you've been up to other space travel shenanigans before." Another pat on the head. "Plus, you got it all perfect on the first try, right? Feels like you knew exactly what you were up to..."

In the manner of felines everywhere, Trouble pushes his head into Ylva's stroking fingers in great approval. Mentally, he replies. "Don't listen to da Broo! Mewwoos came first, not dem! Yah, we lives only on Terrestria, but 'Mewwoos from Terrestria' izn't as exciting as 'Kitteeens Frooom Spaaace' don't you think?"

"We got it good enough for spacey-travel an' dat's what counts, right?"

* * *​

Doesn't make the days now any less devastating, but at least it'll be over. Heck, it's been way longer for others here, right?"

Mack answers with a shake of her head causing her hair to bounce. "Not much longer! Less than a week."

* * *​

"How's it going to work, though? You send them a message with the vid, I take it. Ask them to keep it secret, of course. But it'll still change things, for them... even if they try to move on like they did before." Another pause. "There's another thing. My people aren't in one place. Father's in Japan, Mom's at home, my brother-in-spirit is north, with his family. Is that too many places, and people? Mom's gotta know, of course. So only tell her? Where's the limit?"

Hitomi walks with Ylva. She replies with dead-seriousness. "You decide. If there's are family members you'd rather not tell, you can do that. It's your call." Then Hitomi's tone becomes lighter. "As for distance, we have the benefit of working with Earth's only worldwide government. If there is civilization, we can probably get it to them. Even if they're offworld. But to the UEEF out with the SDF-3 across space? That's where we can't go. Plus, if anyone's families are in the many wastelands that have covered Earth or in war zones like Brazil, there can be some real complications. Barring that, we're good to go."

* * *​

Its no skin off of my back to lose that stuff, especially since I have a bunch of cool new toys to play with; most notably the Mjolinrs!" He grins at Cera.

With her steely-eyed gaze, Cera grins back with every bit of Ura-Meltrandi confidence in Mario's words.

* * *​

"Being able to send my family a message that I'm alive but temporarily involved in a special mission would be a huge relief for them. I can remember how upset we all were when my brother was killed over Ontario. It tore us all up for a long time. I hope that this will bring them some relief from the pain that they must be feeling right now. But yes, we need to be very careful and sanitize our messages out to make sure that there is nothing that will compromise the ship, our mission, or endanger our loved ones."

Hitomi looks back to Mario. "You're right on. I've done this sort of thing before. Information sanitization is like an onion - multilayered. My plan is not to let your families keep these messages but to let them watch them to their heart's desires while our agents are visiting them. It's a one-shot deal. We don't want this information getting back to General Steele and although it probably will one way or another, we can stretch out the amount of time it takes. The less physical evidence your families have, the better. Plus, we're in the business of surveillance/counter-surveillance, so no recording of any kind of Project Eternity's visits will be taking place. Just proof of your existence which we take with us when we leave. Sure, some of your family members won't like that, but it's this or nothing. No way I'm taking a chance of these recordings going onto what little social media Earth has left and it all going viral. Folks like General Steele might get wild hairs up their buns and decide to trade your family members' living quarters for interrogation rooms - the kind we saw back in General Steele's safehouse. Nooo, thank you." Hitomi purses her lips.

* * *​

Your group comes to a halt as you arrive at a large pair of thick blast doors dominated by a six-letter word emblazoned above them in stylish writing: "DRAKE'S"

Piper says, "Here's the bar. Anything else before we go in? Once we enter, you're probably not going to be the same as before." Piper gets this wicked grin across her face as she delivers that cryptic message. "Speak now or... hold it until some other time."

Last edited:
Toph is less concerned with the money than some people might be. She has never been too focused on material goods, having focused her attention on her studies. Money was just a side bonus to her work and training as both a pilot and a doctor, and she doesn't have any living family (except mom, who's unavailable) on the planet. But the sign-up bonus that they are getting from the UEEF is a nice present, and she is sure that there is something that she can find to put that towards.

The same goes for making a message. There is just no one that she is close enough to that is not on this ship that she would wish to send word to, other than a few friends back at the airbase that she worked and flew with. None of them are the type to be overly attached to her. But, she is able to understand how the others feel; her mother is only a few hundred feet away from her, but she might as well be a million light years away. If she is cracked out of the cryotube early it is going to end up with her death. There has got to be something I can do to make a difference there. I will not give up on having mom back. Ever.

Toph finally shakes her head, making her pink hair wave about. "I am quite interested in seeing what lays behind that door for us, and the sooner we do that, the better. That way, we can get Mario into the galley to start making his special sauce for dinner tonight!" She gives a grin, feeling a bit anxious as to just what they will be learning on the other side of the door.

(Thanks for your patience, everybody. =) )

Your group comes to a halt as you arrive at a large pair of thick blast doors dominated by a six-letter word emblazoned above them in stylish writing: "DRAKE'S"

Piper says, "Here's the bar. Anything else before we go in? Once we enter, you're probably not going to be the same as before." Piper gets this wicked grin across her face as she delivers that cryptic message. "Speak now or... hold it until some other time."

Toph finally shakes her head, making her pink hair wave about. "I am quite interested in seeing what lays behind that door for us, and the sooner we do that, the better. That way, we can get Mario into the galley to start making his special sauce for dinner tonight!" She gives a grin, feeling a bit anxious as to just what they will be learning on the other side of the door.

Piper pulls a hand through her currently-messy red hair and gives Toph a curious smirk. "Man. You and your mom. You're just so... different!" Apparently not realizing her statement could be taken in more than one way, Captain Piper waves her hand as if it helps her to dismiss the thought and presses the entry button into Drake's. The huge blast door concealing Drake's slides open. Immediately, you are bombarded with the sounds of shrieking and laughing along with the pounding of very loud and very happy-sounding human pop music.

"King For a Day" by Thompson Twins

You are dazzled by shining lights that flash and dance from a raised stage. There is a dashing lone man on stage wearing a UEEF uniform like yours except that you can see clear through his body. A hologram. He has a microphone to his mouth and he is singing this song doing karaoke to his great pleasure. He sings the song as if it's part of his very being.

(Chorus)
"If I was king for just one day
I would give it all away
I would give it all away
to be with you

If I was king for just one day
I had just one thing to say
You know that love is all we need
to get us through."

The man on stage has a cheery face full of charisma, energetic eyes, and a sharp-looking beard and moustache. Unlike the people around him, his torso is rectangle-shaped, but just enough in shape to still be considered O.K. for the military. His singing isn't bad and it's better than his dancing, but above all, he's doing both like he just plain doesn't give a damn. He's having fun!

"That's a hologram of Captain Drake," says Piper. "Karaoke was his thing."

Yes. That's right. Captain Drake looks a great deal like... Ricky Gervais (whom I think is a blast). =)
ricky_gervais_by_mike robinson at Deviant Art.jpg
(Image credit: Mike Robinson at Deviant Art)

Gathered all around the hologram are at least a score of humanoid creatures that are definitely not human at all. Even shrouded in shadows, you can see the sleekness of their fit bodies and the terrific energy in their barbaric movements as they cheer the hologram on. Something about their movements and bodies seems not to be human. Everyone is dancing. You think you see some of them hanging upside-down from the tall ceiling above you. With terrific agility, two of them, a female and male, gracefully hop up on stage. Eagerly, they dance along with the same carefree spirit of the singer. They are all joyously singing along with the hologram of Captain Drake as if they know every word.

Piper looks a touch embarrassed as she explains against the noise of the music and crowd. "So yeah... All those people around him? Well... while you were in-mission and while I was discovering the intoxicating effects of sake, I may have went down to the cryogenic chamber to take Beamer off the ice, but instead of typing, "B-E-A-M..." into the panel, I might have just clicked, "B-E-A-S..." which Sam took as Beasties. Also known as... the Broo. And, uh, I kinda woke them up. Like. All of them!" Piper isn't making eye contact with anyone while she chews her lip and poorly tries to hide from any looks you might be giving her.

"So yeah! I woke up the Broo! Surprise! You wanted to meet them anyway, right?"

O.K.. This is not exactly what they look like, but this is the best I have. For anyone who has read Masamune Shirow's Appleseed comics, in the 3rd and 4th graphic novel there is a feral bioroid, a female renegade who is just as much beast as she is human; both yet neither. Because I've misplaced my copies of those books and because Google cannot find any, I am forced to do without pictures of the one creature that gave me the physical inspiration for the Beasties. One important difference - Broo do not have tails.

So instead... I am forced to use Final Fantasy XIV's fantasy-based Miqo'te images instead. At least their style of dress is similar to the Broo. =)
Faydra with short hair - by_cutesexyrobutts on DeviantArt.jpg
(Image credit: Cutesexyrobutts on Twitter)

Dusky looks like this but with black hair.jpg
(Image credit: Zerochan)

Ooria the Taleteller.jpg
(Image credit: Twitter)

Their excited singing, howling, and chanting fills the bar. They sound like people who speak English as a second language, but they're either new to it or they just plain have a bad time at it. Your noses tell you there is something strangely incense-like permeating through the air along with the scent of sweat and flowers that just somehow smells nice together. In the patches of darkness, you could swear you could see the faint illumination of what appears to be pairs of eyes. Some green, some orange, some blue. For some of you, the technological-minded parts of your brain begin to look for glasses on their faces, except no one is wearing any. The lights from their eyes appear to be something altogether natural and attractive.

Still... this does not change the fact that one amongst the Wild Cards is able to pick up two very familiar-sounding voices. It's like she has encountered them fairly recently. Ylva Sveadotter's ears are not playing tricks with her as her mind replays a scene buried within it.

From 17 August 2020 in "Double or Nothing"
Ylva then could have bet a solid stack of credits that she was now alone. But nothing could have been further from the truth.

"Yes!" she heard from the inside of someone's helmet. It came from beside Ylva to her immediate left. "Pretty hair! Pretty hair say yes! Good good!" It was a young woman's voice with the strangest of accents that Ylva, despite her travels and upbringing, could in no way place - and that in itself might have been a surprise. Turning to her left, Ylva saw the figure who had been sneaking up on her this entire time and with the good professor's loud and mighty departure, who could blame Ylva for not sensing her coming?

Then a hand on her right firmly grasped her bicep while a nozzle touched her shoulder. She didn't even hear the "psssht!" of the drug entering her system. "Long day! Pretty hair sleep good now!" It was a delighted male with the same odd accent who held Ylva as her vision began to swim.

Their tones and accents were unmistakable. The pair of male and female Beasties were just ahead of the Wild Cards, not 10 meters ahead, their bodies a bit hard to see due to the bright lights of the stage. In fact, it seemed every Broo present was with someone; no one was alone. But Ylva heard their voices all the same as they sang and spoke with delight along to the Drake-hologram's music.

"Happy this song! Is favorite!" says the female.

"Su shura Drake ka-mel--" begins the male when he is quickly shouted at by everyone around him.

"PAN-GALACTIC!!" they yell back at him. His ears flatten against his head and he begins again.

"Forgot! Sorry!" To the female beside him, he says, "So sad Drake die!"

"Mmm!" she seems to agree. "We must rememba heem!"

"Yea!"

And they keep dancing as if to do just that.

Trouble excitedly wriggles about in Ylva's arms. "Mroooooo!" he mews. And in your minds, you simultaneously hear Trouble saying, "Broooooo!!" Trouble is now trying to escape Ylva's grasp in an effort to join in the fun, but Ylva's strength is simply greater than his.

Piper says to all of you as if she's been caught doing something she shouldn't and is kind of expecting some kind of reprimand for it. "I was gonna tell you guys! Really! This tribe of Broo are not only here, but they chose to come with us. They're part of the Broadsword's crew. So. Listen good! Three seriously important rules about the Broo.

Piper points at the bar and dance floor full of Beasties and then back to you. "Don't ever lie to 'em; when in doubt, bite your tongue. Remember their traditions are waaay different than ours and they kinda worship us. And most importantly - if anyone does anything to cause them any pain, you have my permission to blast their sorry asses into steaming ash! That is, before I do. The Broo are family to us and vice versa. Period. So treat 'em like it!"

Last edited:
Toph can feel the urge to grab one of the Broo and run down to Medical for a full work-up to better understand their alien physiology, but she restrains herself. Instead, she looks to Capt. Piper and says, "I had no idea that there were any surprises that you could spring on us that would be so . . . profound! Other than the bunch of Broo we see here, are there others on the ship? Are there any social conventions we need to know about before we try to go and say 'hello' to them? I would hate to offend on our first meeting!"

"So yeah! I woke up the Broo! Surprise! You wanted to meet them anyway, right?"

Elinor can't help it -- she bursts out laughing. "So I did! And here they are! Thanks, Captain! That was sure a quick response time." She grins at the young acting-captain. "Accident or no, this's prob'ly all to the good." She watches the dancing for a bit while Toph asks her question. "What she said," Elinor adds. "I'd love to go meet our new family here. They've got good taste in music!"

"Could be worse, certainly." Once the first surprise wears off, Ylva carefully sets down Trouble on the floor, ending his short-lived struggling. "The way I see it, we have an expert on Broo behavior right here with us. Still, any insight would be appreciated. Don't wanna get drugged by them a second time." A short pause before she elaborates. "Met them before, I think, for about half a second. They actually brought me here, to the Broadsword. So... watch your drinks, or who knows where you might end up." Her smile shows that the warning is all but serious. Her eyes roam around, trying to soak it all in. These aliens, about as lively as Piper described them before; a hundred questions that'll have to wait. And somewhere in the back of her mind, a reminder to be very careful around here. Can't really know what else they've got in the fridge, after this...

Mario's thoughts are swirling about, thinking about a dozen different things all at once. These Broo are a relatively unknown factor to him, despite the good words put in by Capt. Piper. What are they doing on the ship? What kind of skills do they bring to the table? Are they going to be a part of their mission? And do they like spaghetti?

Still, despite his reservations on dealing with these unknown aliens, he cannot help but be drawn into their infectious energy as they dance about, a smile coming to his face. "Wow. I'm not used to seeing non-humans that aren't trying to kill me, and now there is Trouble, Iris, and these excited fellows here! It is a great thing to see."

Instead, she looks to Capt. Piper and says, "I had no idea that there were any surprises that you could spring on us that would be so . . . profound! Other than the bunch of Broo we see here, are there others on the ship? Are there any social conventions we need to know about before we try to go and say 'hello' to them? I would hate to offend on our first meeting!"

"Uh," Piper raises her hand to her brow and looks through Drake's. The bar is large and the dazzling lights from the stage cast many a shadow. Piper strains to see, but shakes her head and raises her voice so you can hear her over the music. "I... think so? It's hard to tell in here." She folds her hands and looks a little nervous. "Social conventions? Uh, besides never lying to 'em? Geez, I don't know where to start! Remember they'll pretty much believe anything you say, but worse - they have these incredible memories so they can often tell you word-for-word what you said. So seriously - be ready to back up whatever comes out of your mouth! Uhh, they hardly ever lie. Other than that, just be yourselves I guess?"

Elinor can't help it -- she bursts out laughing. "So I did! And here they are! Thanks, Captain! That was sure a quick response time." She grins at the young acting-captain. "Accident or no, this's prob'ly all to the good." She watches the dancing for a bit while Toph asks her question. "What she said," Elinor adds. "I'd love to go meet our new family here. They've got good taste in music!"

Piper shakes her head. "It's crazy! They love our culture and music so they spend hours with it. Chances are, they're playing all of Drake's old favorites out of respect for him."

"Could be worse, certainly." Once the first surprise wears off, Ylva carefully sets down Trouble on the floor, ending his short-lived struggling.

Trouble zips off into the crowd. About five heartbeats later, a series of surprised cheers go up as he is hoisted into the air by the Broo. Trouble wastes no time in meowing at them and sticking out his chest so they can admire his new shiny medal. The Broo respond by clapping their hands fiercely together (too hard by human standards, but you can clearly hear it over the music) and a chorus of happy sounding yowls and howls comes from that part of the bar. Immediately, curious faces from all over begin to peer and stretch to see what the commotion is about. The tribe is acting as one.

"The way I see it, we have an expert on Broo behavior right here with us. Still, any insight would be appreciated. Don't wanna get drugged by them a second time." A short pause before she elaborates. "Met them before, I think, for about half a second. They actually brought me here, to the Broadsword. So... watch your drinks, or who knows where you might end up."

"Never happen," Piper smiles at Ylva. "Duskee and Coosi nailed you at my command, blondie. They recognize UEEF authority. Broo don't spike drinks; most of 'em are too honest to do it. But the ones that aren't take mischievousness to a whole new level, so be careful!"

Still, despite his reservations on dealing with these unknown aliens, he cannot help but be drawn into their infectious energy as they dance about, a smile coming to his face. "Wow. I'm not used to seeing non-humans that aren't trying to kill me, and now there is Trouble, Iris, and these excited fellows here! It is a great thing to see."

Mario's comment creates a grin across the face of the Ura-Meltrandi standing beside him. Her arms crossed, Cera stares without blinking at the tribe of Broo, watching them party and sing and cuddle and live it up. What looks like a wave of agitation sweeps over her, but she takes a deep breath of self-control. "The Broo," Cera sighs, her face a mixture of emotions as Cera reveals something to all of you. "Wild Cards, we Ura-Meltrandi both deeply respect and loathe these people! For all of the great races across the known universe - the Invid, Robotech Masters, Meltrandi, Zentraedi, Scrath, Mewwoos - only the Broo can find us when we do not want to be found!" Cera closes her eyes. "All without technology or military training. They have no warriors; only hunters and gatherers. What they lack in intelligence and technology, they make up for with creativity and resourcefulness. Do not underestimate them!"

Captain Piper hears this and nods. "Yeah, that's for sure. Now Wild Cards, you stay with me! The rest of you? Up on the balcony past that sign up there, O.K.?"

"But we have a million questions!" Professor Stein argues with Reggie and Hitomi nodding.

"Which is exactly why I want you up there with the Sams! I can't handle all of you at the same time! Up you go! Ask Sam!" Piper points to a corded-off area where hangs a metal military-grade sign that reads, "This Area Closed" followed by writing in red sharpie that reads, "No Sit Here Or I Get Mad At You! - Captain Piper." Spaceman Sam pulls away the sign and like a butler, he shows Professor Stein, Captain Sharp, Murph the Smurf, Reggie, and Hitomi their seats. The four take them with Reggie quietly parking beside the table Sam has offered. Hitomi is already into her tablet, apparently excitedly taking notes while the three older men groan.

* * *​

About this time, one of the tribe, a good-looking youthful Broo male wearing a black T-shirt that reads, "Rush - 40th Anniversary" spots you and comes running up to Piper and the Wild Cards.

"Speaking of Duskee..." Piper smiles warily.

Again, the Broo do not have tails. Other than that, this is pretty much him. =)
Duskee - by hajun_hey_sangha.jpg
(Image credit: Danbooru)

"Pie-pa! Pie-pa!" Duskee shouts excitedly as he leaps and bounds across tables, chairs, and his fellow Broo to get to you. "You help! Something wrong with Sam-Sam! He voice all funny!"

"Oh yeaaah?" Piper replies with a knowing glance to the rest of you. "What'd he say?"

Immediately, the Broo known as Duskee straightens into attention as the Sams are often seen in. Then follows a recreation of a Sam unit acting far more casually than when you first met Spaceman Sam. Duskee imitates, "Duuude, Piper will like, be here in a few so you gotta cool your jets until she gets here, you get me?" His imitation and surfer-accent is spot-on. Then he reverts. "Why Sam-Sam speak this way now?"

"That was really good!" says Mack in astonishment.

Piper chuckles and replies, "Because I want him too. That's why."

"Oh! O.K.!" is Duskee's response and just like that, he seems perfectly satisfied with Piper's answer. Then he spots all of the Wild Cards and his excitement cranks up a notch. Piper notices and suddenly appears alarmed but she doesn't stop him. "Ah! Wild Cards! I Duskee!" he says specifically to Toph, Elinor, Ylva, and Cera. "You will tell me true!" Duskee proceeds to stand in front of you and cross his arms across his chest with his hands clenching against the very bottom of his T-shirt as if he is about to take it off to show you what's underneath. But he doesn't. Instead, he looks at all four of you and asks the following:

"I have sexy! Want to see?"

He begins eagerly repeating his request to each of the women in your squadron except Cera who is fidgeting and trying not to notice by looking anywhere but at him.

"Hah ha ha!" Piper bursts and covers her face with her hands. "All yours, Wild Cards! Let's see how you handle Duskee!" Piper stands back and watches the show. Meanwhile, in the balcony nearby, three older human men and Reggie are looking at all of you confusedly and... you could swear Hitomi is taking pictures of this!

What do the Wild Cards do?

Last edited:
Hercules is having a hard time taking everything in. A really hard time. While he could certainly not be considered slow or dumb by any measure, the sudden twists and turns his life was taking in just a few short days was starting to take a toll on his brain. New tech from the future, new teammates, new commission, new ship, new crew, alien kittens and alien catfolk, holographic dead captains singing karaoke. It was starting to make his head spin, and not in a good way. The only relieving things in the whole series of revelations was the fact that his beloved olive tree was safe and soon to be back in his possession and that he would have the chance to reassure his parents he was alive and well, even if it was only via a recording.

Now he was surrounded by a multitude of the cat-people, males and females, and his senior officers, the ladies of his team were being confronted by one of the Broo men asking them something that sounded decidedly lewd. And something was overhead...
"Ma'am?" the gigantic Greek cautiously asked of Elinor, "I'm more than a little uncomfortable here, gonna need you to take charge."

Last edited:
Out of the crowd of dancing, cheering Beast People emerges one who immediately appears confident, capable, and about as alpha female as it gets. She walks with a long stride in a graceful manner that never seems off-balance. Reddish-brown hair falls past her shoulders to the small of her back like a glowing dawn or easing sunset, but the small scars that line her healthy limbs imply she is no stranger to pain nor to violence. She wears some kind of leathery tribal outfit that appears loose, protective, and altogether comfortable to move in. It is crimson like the pair of short swords strapped to her swaying hips. About that time, you notice that each of the Broo is packing some kind of ornate short sword kept in sheath. Some besides this Broo also carry two.

This female Broo steps up right behind Duskee who continues to jump about eagerly as if he has ants in his pants. Her eyes narrow and she frowns at him something awful.

"Duskee. What doing?" she asks with authority.

Duskee spins to see who is speaking and upon recognition, the young Broo shrieks and jumps out of her way as if she were a woman made of flame. "Aieee! I-- I ask Wild Cards tell me true!" Hearing this, you watch both of her green eyes glare at him so hard, you could swear there was a faint glow to them. She crosses her well-muscled arms and Duskee's juvenile attempt at a defense just slowly dies in his throat. "Faydra! But, but-- I have sexyyyyyyyyy....?"

One of the curved eyebrows on Faydra's face rises. "You know Wild Card?"

"No... but Piper say they Broadsword! They no lie!"

"Maybe," Faydra sniffs. "Wild Card no know Broo. This how you show them Broo?" Duskee turns back to you, alarmed. Faydra continues. "Duskee make Broo look bad."

"Wait, wait!" Duskee points at Ylva. "I know this one!" He blinks his eyes twice. At that moment, the figure moving across the ceiling over the Wild Cards, that only Ylva and Hercules noticed, makes her move.

Headfirst, this female Broo drops and plummets from the support beams that hold the ceiling toward Ylva, does a half-twist in mid-air, and expertly lands on all fours directly at Ylva's flank. This lively and sunny Broo eagerly grasps Ylva's right arm with both of her own. "I distract yooou!"

With frightening quickness, Duskee leaps to Ylva's left side and touches his fist to Ylva's left bicep. "I drug yooou!"

Together they say, "And when you sleep? We play with your hair! Haahahaah!" Their laughter is not the laughter heard from most humans. Human people laugh for a variety of reasons, sometimes to display that they appear wise enough to get a joke they actually don't, sometimes to mask fears, and sometimes because they really are filled with such joy that they can't help but show it. The laughter of the Broo is much the latter, child-like and infectious, like the result of the funniest joke you have ever heard. It carries, free-spirited and loud, and there is nothing false about it as Duskee and his female playmate bounce some of Ylva's long blonde hair in their hands as if doing so is the greatest fun in the world.

Opposite them, Faydra grins as Captain Piper steps forward and addresses you. "Wild Cards, meet Faydra the Spirit-strong, the very first Broo to make contact with humanity. Faydra's the tribe's war-chief and the final word. The short-haired giggle-box still with Sveadotter is Coosi and you've met Duskee who is just recently come of age. Somewhere around here is Bong, the tribe's shaman..." Piper's eyes become slits as she visually searches through the crowd, "...who, I am remembering now, made off with the last of my best scotch, the stone-brained weirdo!!"

Faydra then does something most impressive. Turning her head over her shoulder, she sucks in some air and then looses a single howl that fills every corner of the room. "AROOOO!! LOWER MUSIC! COME! TRIBE MEET WILD CARD!" By the time she is done with her command, the music has lowered and every pair of inhuman eyes have turned toward you leaving the holo-Drake there dancing with himself (he doesn't seem to mind).

Your brain tells you there are about twenty of them, but it is hard to tell an exact number because of the way they move together. Some of them have shyly jumped out of sight to safety upon realizing they were not alone, while most of the rest are slowly advancing forward, some of them crawling over each other while others act as natural ladders to help other Broo safely come down from the ceiling. As they move toward you as one with Faydra clearly in their center, there is a primal feeling in the air as your instincts begin to tell you - you are outnumbered by alien forces you really don't know. Allies or not, the Broo seem to move as one people - one giant pack of sharp-clawed, pointy-fanged predators each of whom appear all-too-capable of a good long hunt.

On one of their shoulders stands one shiny and very proud Trouble who you can see is grinning from ear to ear as his medal dangles from his neck. Duskee and Coosi remove themselves to join their tribe, pausing only if Ylva or another Wild Card has something they wish to tell them.

In moments, the entire tribe seems to be here before you, some crouching, some standing, some hiding behind others, and yet a few more of them sitting on the shoulders of their tribemates simply to get a better look at you. And sometimes their eyes do indeed glow an eerie yet fascinating illumination that is no simple trick of the bar lights in Drake's.

Piper leans up against a pillar with a pleased smile across her face. "Broo!" she shouts, addressing the entire tribe. "As I was telling you all before we were interrupted earlier, these are the Wild Cards! They have joined the Broadsword! They kill the monsta!"

"Monsta! Monsta!" Wild cries and shouts go up from the Broo. Claws come out of their natural housings and blades rise torn from their sheaths. You notice they appear to be highly-decorated and dangerous vibroblades, Mega-damage in nature when activated.

"Who are you?!" Piper shouts.

"Tribe of Star Watchas!"

"And what do you do?"

"We keeell de monstaaas!!"

"That's right! The Tribe of the Star Watchers kill the monsters!" Captain Piper walks between the Wild Cards and the Star Watcher tribe. "Wild Cards, the Broadsword has its own Special Forces outfit - Marine Force Recon - nicknamed "The Professionals." When we were on Terrestria, the Broo acted as our indigenous forces. And when we fought the Invid... our Beasties kicked ass!"

This compliment is rewarded by a thunderous cacophony of roars, shrieks, snarls, and feet pounding the floor like some kind of wild stationary stampede. When it dies down, Piper continues. "At the behest of our Recon units, we've made those special Cyclones - Predator bikes - built for stealth, information gathering, and speed. But the humans who run the recon unit are still on ice in the Cryogenic Chamber - thanks to my goof-up," she admits. "All throughout our missions, Recon and Flight Nine would support each other. I want you and The Professionals along with the Broo to do the same. In general, they'll gather the intel on our enemies, and you hit 'em where it hurts. Help each other out whenever possible."

While Piper is speaking, Toph notices Faydra looking right at Toph. There is something of a mixture of uneasiness and doubt in the feral Broo's green eyes as she gazes at Toph. Most of the other Broo are admiring Mario, Elinor, and especially Hercules. A few point out Cera and appear baffled about something. Then Piper states, "Wild Cards! Step forward one at a time. State your name, what you do, and tell us something we don't know about you. Lieutenant Mackenzie? You're up."

Shirley looks as if she was kind of expecting this, but you can tell she's probably hoping the infamous McKenzie luck doesn't bare its ugly fangs in this delicate moment. Shirley takes a few steps forward and stands at attention. "I'm 1st Lieutenant Shirley Sharon Mackenzie. I lead the Wild Cards."

A hunky-looking Broo asks, "You Wild Card war chief?"

"Yeah, yeah, something like that! I'm also a Valkyrie pilot specializing in close air support. My family has a background in Special Forces. I like to sing, fly, surf, and go camping. I'm adopted."

This gets some big cheers out of the Broo, but a few look at each other and to Sam when the word 'adopted' comes up.

"Uh," Mack adds with a smile, "adopted means my natural parents couldn't raise me as their child, so I became the child of another family. And I really wouldn't have it any other way!"

The Broo seem to accept this definition quickly. Mack steps back a little nervously but still smiling. The Broo eagerly look among your squadron to see who will step forward next.

Heya Gang! Feel free to post as you like. I'll handle each introduction by separating the scenes with * * * in my next post.

Elinor1sm.jpg

Elinor's character sheet
Action Points: 8/8
Bonus action point: 1
"Never happen," Piper smiles at Ylva. "Duskee and Coosi nailed you at my command, blondie. They recognize UEEF authority. Broo don't spike drinks; most of 'em are too honest to do it. But the ones that aren't take mischievousness to a whole new level, so be careful!"
That was reassuring, to Elinor at least.

Her arms crossed, Cera stares without blinking at the tribe of Broo, watching them party and sing and cuddle and live it up. What looks like a wave of agitation sweeps over her, but she takes a deep breath of self-control. "The Broo," Cera sighs, her face a mixture of emotions as Cera reveals something to all of you. "Wild Cards, we Ura-Meltrandi both deeply respect and loathe these people! For all of the great races across the known universe - the Invid, Robotech Masters, Meltrandi, Zentraedi, Scrath, Mewwoos - only the Broo can find us when we do not want to be found!" Cera closes her eyes. "All without technology or military training. They have no warriors; only hunters and gatherers. What they lack in intelligence and technology, they make up for with creativity and resourcefulness. Do not underestimate them!"
"Noted," Elinor replies quietly, but adds, "Just remember they're on our side now, and that means yours too, while you're with us. Bein' able to find you under those circumstances could prove a pretty good thing at need."

Now he was surrounded by a multitude of the cat-people, males and females, and his senior officers, the ladies of his team were being confronted by one of the Broo men asking them something that sounded decidedly lewd. And something was overhead...
"Ma'am?" the gigantic Greek cautiously asked of Elinor, "I'm more than a little uncomfortable here, gonna need you to take charge."
Elinor herself is beginning to feel that it's a lot easier to take alien races in stride when you're out on a mission and can orient everything around getting the mission done. Off-duty in a bar is a whole 'nother level of weird, especially with so many, and so exuberant, a race.

Even Zentraedi and Meltrandi had never made it to the Halls' farm, much less all the other weird things the Wild Cards have met on this trip, but like everyone else on the planet they'd talked about them, and wondered what to do if the aliens did come. Great-Aunt Joey had finally declared, and everyone else agreed, "If any of those Zenter-whatsis show up lookin' for work honest-like, they ought to be just as welcome as any human who does the same. But if they show up actin' like enemies, we'll shoo 'em away accordingly." Great-Aunt Joey happening to be cleaning her shotgun at the time, she pointed its disassembled barrel at the imaginary enemy when she said "accordingly," emphasizing the sort of "shooing" the farm would provide. By what she's seen so far as a Wild Card, Elinor figures that's a pretty workable philosophy.

So she orients instead around that, and around Hercules' need for an officer, and steps up beside him for reassurance.
- If there is time to respond to Duskee before his apparent senior officer appears out of the crowd to settle things down, she advises him, "Save the sexy for when we're better acquainted with each other. And you might want to ask each one separate-like, on a personal level."
- If there is not time, she simply pats Hercules' shoulder and waits for a better opportunity to speak up.

All throughout our missions, Recon and Flight Nine would support each other. I want you and The Professionals along with the Broo to do the same. In general, they'll gather the intel on our enemies, and you hit 'em where it hurts. Help each other out whenever possible."
"Yes'm," Elinor nods. "I mean, aye, aye, ma'am."

Then Piper states, "Wild Cards! Step forward one at a time. State your name, what you do, and tell us something we don't know about you.
Elinor's a little torn, wanting to stay near Hercules in case he still needs moral backup, but also wanting to move near Cera for similar reasons. But the Meltrandi knows the Broo in general better than any of the other Wild Cards (aside from Trouble) and Elinor figures her... ward or whatever (darn it! missed a question! Oh, well, later) will ask her dentalla if she needs help.

So, when she steps up along the y-axis, Elinor keeps her x-axis constant, relative to Hercules. It probably doesn't look any different from her just moving forward naturally, but it's deliberate, all the same. "First Lieutenant Elinor Josephine Hall," she introduces herself. (Mom picked her first name, but Dad thought Elinor Emmaline was too much E, so he gave her his aunt's name instead of his mother's.) "You can call me Lieutenant Hall, Elinor, or Bruce Leeanne -- that's my callsign. Test pilot an' engineer. I've been leadin' the Wild Cards while Mack's out on medical. An' I'm Cera's dentalla," she adds with a nod at the Meltrandi girl, figuring that should come up sooner rather than later. However, Piper already knows that, so Elinor guesses she still owes the group one more statement. "People think I'm into country music 'cause I'm a country gal, and it's well enough, but what I'm really into is classic rock," she says with a nod at Duskee's shirt. "I'm not much of a singer but I'll surely try if you've got a group goin'." She smiles. "Better that than dance, anyhow."

- If there is time to respond to Duskee before his apparent senior officer appears out of the crowd to settle things down, she advises him, "Save the sexy for when we're better acquainted with each other. And you might want to ask each one separate-like, on a personal level."

There is time. Understanding, at first, is another issue. "Save sexy?" Duskee asks with a frown. "Sexy in danger? Numba ten!"

"Nooo," Coosi leans over and raps him once on his head. It doesn't seem to hurt him but it does get his attention. "She say ask again when Wild Card know Broo betta! Then ask one, not all!"

"Ahhh!" Duskee's eyes brighten in understanding. He looks pleased, instantly happier, and grateful. "O.K., Wild Card! I do!"

"People think I'm into country music 'cause I'm a country gal, and it's well enough, but what I'm really into is classic rock," she says with a nod at Duskee's shirt.

Elinor's self-introduction produces a number of cheers and yowls. Several of them begin singing something familiar to some of you. "I looove rock and roll! Put another dime in the juke box baby! I loove rock and roll! So come and take your time and dance with me!" As the song goes on, almost all of the Broo chime in like they know the song well until Faydra the Spirit-strong waves them to quiet down (but not until she adds a good Joan Jett-like "aoooww!" of her own).

"I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Last edited:
As promised, Elinor joins in the singing. Her voice is about what she claimed for it, but in a group like this, who cares? It's a song she knows and it's fun to sing (or shout). When Faydra waves the Broo to quiet down, Elinor likewise quiets and waits for the next person.

Toph smiles at the antics of the Broo, looking to Duskee as he offers up his 'sexy' to her, saying, "I appreciate the offer, but Hitomi is more my type." Her eyes then snap wide open as she realizes what she just said, her face going bright red. "Uuuh, oh my. I didn't mean to say . . . Just ignore that, ok?" She does her best to not look over at Hitomi, hoping beyond hope that she hasn't just ruined a good friendship with her blunder.

"Music! I like rock and roll music, too! How about another good song by George Thorogood that describes us perfectly? Bad to the Bone!"

Last edited:
Mario is understandably curious about the Broo, but like Hercules, he is hesitant to make any contact with them. He's no officer to have the proper training on dealing with First Contact situations like this - assuming that officers get trained in that kind of thing in the first place. So he lags back a bit, looking about and trying to get a read on what to do next.

Toph's comment about Hitomi doesn't go unnoticed, but he lets it slide. Who is he to judge? Hell, his love interest may not even be in his league, let alone the same ball park as he is.

When it comes to music, though, he does have some strong opinions on just how to rock and roll. "I'm Mario. Mario Zuko, a mecha pilot and Traverser in the Wild Cards Squadron. Good to meet you guys. I had an awesome set of CDs in my room that are probably long gone by now, but the question that I need to know from you guys is, how classic do you like your music? I can suggest something older like 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum, or something a bit more contemporary like 'The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing' by Joe Satriani. What's your preference?"

Last edited:
Toph smiles at the antics of the Broo, looking to Duskee as he offers up his 'sexy' to her, saying, "I appreciate the offer, but Hitomi is more my type." Her eyes then snap wide open as she realizes what she just said, her face going bright red. "Uuuh, oh my. I didn't mean to say . . . Just ignore that, ok?" She does her best to not look over at Hitomi, hoping beyond hope that she hasn't just ruined a good friendship with her blunder.

"What... Hee-toh-mee?" Duskee asks as he looks around. Beside him, Coosi with her orange and red explosion of short hair glances about with equal curiosity.

"No know! Is sexy?"

"Uuuh, oh my. I didn't mean to say . . . Just ignore that, ok?" She does her best to not look over at Hitomi, hoping beyond hope that she hasn't just ruined a good friendship with her blunder.

"O.K.! I ignore!" and Duskee closes his eyes a moment, concentrate very hard, then he blinks his eyes as if he just woke from a nap. "Ah, what we talking of?"

With a violent shake of her head, Coosi also appears to throw the thought out of her mind. For real. "No know!" Coosi repeats, except that she does not seem to realize she has just repeated herself. Like Duskee, she seems wide-eyed and rather clueless at the moment, not that it bothers her.

From the dim shadows in the balcony while typing away on her tablet, Hitomi looks up after hearing Toph say her name. It seems at first she does not realize she is the focus of Toph's statement, but Hitomi is neither a fool nor one to feign as if she did not hear Toph. Hitomi smiles a little at first, then fully as she seems to take Toph's declaration as a compliment. And not just any compliment, but a high one. Hitomi knew quite well that Toph hardly ever spoke of such personal emotions and that she was evidently in them pleased her. She rested her eyes on the back of Toph's pink head for a few moments before returning to her typing.

Captain Piper gawks quietly at Toph's statement, but then turns her attention to someone a little taller and a lot more Californian. "Hey! Lieutenant Mack! Any reason your squadmate there isn't following my instructions?"

Sherwood, you should know that I was going to include Mario in Piper's statement until Kaerri posted her message to you in Fat Gandalf's. If you hadn't changed it, Mario would be in equal hot water with Toph right now. =)

Mack grimaced as if stung. With Toph putting her foot in it, Mack felt for certain the ol' Mackenzie luck had reared its ugly head after all right here with the Wild Cards' first meeting with the Broadsword's beloved Beasties. "Lieutenant," she addressed Toph in not-so-casual a tone, "state your name, what you specialize in, and then talk rock n' roll." But Toph realizes quickly that Mack isn't the only one staring at her - Faydra Spirit-strong with her crossed bulging arms and mysterious countenance has her attention locked onto Toph without a single clue as to the reason.

* * *​

"I'm Mario. Mario Zuko, a mecha pilot and Traverser in the Wild Cards Squadron. Good to meet you guys. I had an awesome set of CDs in my room that are probably long gone by now, but the question that I need to know from you guys is, how classic do you like your music? I can suggest something older like 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum, or something a bit more contemporary like 'The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing' by Joe Satriani. What's your preference?"

These questions produce a lot of murmuring among the Broo (minus Faydra who remains silent). "Mmm!" one of the Broo, a graceful beauty of a female with long black and green hair peeks her head out from behind one of her fellows. Her eyes glow luminously as green as her hair, enough to provide a small light of their own. "No... No undastand!" she says with a troubled frown.

This soft and easy to look upon eye-light is about that of a smartphone screen at 100% brightness (not flash) and extends to the same distance.

"Agree with Sheesa!" nods a strong-looking male of dark colors and sharp-looking fangs. "What Mar-ee-oh say?"

Captain Piper steps in and to the Broo, she forms her hands into a capital 'T'. "Time out! Hold up!" Then Piper turns to you and explains.

"Wild Cards, for all of the advantages the Beasties have, they've got their share of serious disadvantages too. For one, the Broo as a whole just aren't as intelligent as we are. If you look close, you'll notice the males and females aren't shorter or taller than each other, right? That goes for the whole race - they're not like humans where males are tougher, but females have higher pain tolerance - they're built pretty differently and that especially goes for their brains. For example - they just can't pilot mecha! They crash every time! We've tried! but Cyclones or stuff like small aero gyrocopters and maybe stick-shift cars is as high-tech as they go. The Broo have no geniuses and they have no idiots 'cept maybe that shaman who stole my scotch!" she adds with a sneer.

Piper turns to the Broo and points at them. "Mario say he knows rock and roll! You like soft rock? Or hard rock?"

One by one, the Broo answer with shouts of enthusiasm. "Soft rock is mud!"

"Rock is hard! Like Broo muscles!"

"Yah, yah! Hard rock hard! Raaaawr!"

Piper grins at Mario with confidence. "There's your answer, guy!"

Toph is now doubly embarrassed, first from letting her feelings for Hitomi be publicly put on display, then now by letting her flustered self fail in her basic responsibility of following Capt. Piper's orders. "Yes, ma'am. My apologies. I am Toph Kirin, medical doctor and Veritech pilot, specializing in the Ajax class attack helicopter."

Hercules is taken aback by Toph’s statement. He glances up at Hitomi and, seeing her expression, sighs sadly and turns his attention back to the Broo.
“I am Hercules. I fight, I cook, I sing.”

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!)

(Part 1 of 2)

The Broo respond to Toph's introduction with shouts of "Dok-ta!" and "Very Tek! Very Tek!" but a few start singing. In moments, the music (still playing low) switches and holo-Drake begins dancing to a different tune (note to self: didn't he always?). =)

"Dok-ta, dok-ta!
Cant choo feel I burnin', burnin'?
Ohh, dok-ta, dok-ta!
Is this love I feeeleeen'?!"

"Doctor, Doctor" by the Thompson Twins

While the rest of her tribe is partying, Faydra, very seriously, steps forward with great purpose and crosses the divide between Wild Card and Tribe of the Star Watchers. As she does, members of her tribe begin to whisper, point, and pay attention. Faydra stops only a few close feet away from Toph and stares down at the smaller, more slightly-built human with eyes that hardly blink. Her expression is not one of amusement, but one of great seriousness and something more.

"Bong?" she calls.

When nothing happens, she calls again, this time more insistently and with a tone that does not brook argument. "Booong?!"

"Bong come, Bong come."

Many of the Broo part to make way for one of their own who has Duskee's build but is clearly a bit older. Like many of the males, he wears a colored wrap about his waist that shows off sturdy legs and walks barefoot. He is barechested and is good-looking for a Broo. His short wood-brown hair is wild and unkempt, his eyes seem to be in a permanent state of half-raised and either sly and wise or sleepy-looking or stoned. Perhaps all of these things. Despite Faydra's call, he is in no rush.

"You!" Piper clenches one fist. "Where's my scotch, Bong?"

"Scotch?" he pauses in wonder and speaks with an amused-sounding voice that never seems loud, but carries anyway. "This about scotch?"

Without taking her eyes off Toph, Faydra commands, "Bong! Here! Who you see?"

Bong shambles forth to stand beside his war-chief. With a yawn, he peers at the half-Meltrandi, half-human Wild Card and states simply, "Toph Kirin," along with an uninterested shrug. He is just about to turn away without being dismissed when Faydra snaps aloud.

"Not Toph Kirin!"

"Why?"

"Not possible!" Faydra declares.

"Why?"

"Too young!"

Bong turns back to Toph and visually examines her anew from her toes to the tip of her pink top.

"What answer?" Faydra demands. By this time, Captain Piper and the Broo are awfully quiet.

"Is easy," Bong shrugs again. "Either... stars wrong... you wrong... or Toph wrong."

"Stars neva wrong!"

"Mmm," Bong muses. As Faydra stares, Bong steps nearer to her. Together, they seem to share a resemblance unlike most of the other Broo. Bong slowly pushes his cheek against that of his war-chief's, a gentle caress and one full of meaning, but Faydra does not move. Bong turns to Toph and takes about two steps forward toward her. He looks almost bored, yet there is definitely energy moving behind those tranquil eyes of his. He sniffs the air between he and Toph as if it were some sweet flower. Toph smells something that resembles incense coming from him. Then he exhales softly and turns away.

To Faydra, Bong answers just loud enough so he doesn't have to repeat it. "Faydra. You not wrong. Toph not wrong. So... stars wrong."

"Stars neva wrong!!" Faydra whirls and stares at Bong as if her shaman has lost his mind. Mumbles among the tribe repeat Faydra's words not out of automaton-like loyalty, but in what appears as the most sincere of possibly-traditional beliefs.

"Oh?" Bong's ear rises as he turns to Spaceman Sam. "Sam-sam? Use holo above us? Show stars now?"

"Do it," Piper commands.

Spaceman Sam simply looks up and the ceiling above you grows incredibly dark. All holographic effects fade. Holo-Drake, still dancing like he's the only one in the room, slowly disappears. Drake's becomes dim in every corner. Then the "sky" above you fills with stars and stars and more stars until there seems to be too many.

With one collective gasp, the Broo see this and freak out! Like cats in a house fire, they jump all over the place trying to find cover anywhere they can! Alarmed shrieks and confused cries fill Drake's from every Broo... except Faydra and Bong. Faydra stands as if hypnotized at the starscape above your heads. Bong takes one long look at it and says, "Stars wrong. Told you." Faydra finds she has no reply against him.

Captain Piper hustles up to Faydra and addresses her and all of the Broo. "Heh, heh! Don't get mad! I was going to bring this up, I swear! I just hadn't gotten to--"

"Meeew!" Trouble meows gleefully. He pokes a little paw up in the air. Your ears hear his excited meow and in your minds, his boyish voice exclaims, "Our stars iz those over there!" Many heads, some non-Broo, turn to follow his little paw.

"How long?" Faydra asks in a small voice.

"About like... 80 seasons," Piper replies.

Spaceman Sam gives a thumbs-up. "Totally rad!"

"Totally bitchin'!" Mack agrees. "I'm amped! Those seasons equal to ours, ma'am?"

"Close enough," Piper replies.

In a louder voice, Faydra asks, "We time-weave. O.K. But where we, Pie-pa?" She seems to accept the notion of time travel without much issue; it's their location that has surprised them more.

Piper grows calm for a moment as if saying it makes it all more real to her. "Earth."

"Human-home!"

"Yeah..." Piper looks back at where the holo-Drake was doing his thing. She looks sad.

Bong sees this and joins her. Looking into her face, he says, "Drake die, Pie-pa. Kirin in Dreamworld. Much Broadsword die. You must lead us."

"I know, I know..." Piper moans, but then brightens as her eyes fix on something she recognizes. "Hey! I bet this'll help!"

Faydra follows Piper's gaze but doesn't see it. "What you see, Pie-pa?"

Piper tears between the Broo until she reaches her objective. With a triumphant cry, she raises what looks to be a thin rectangular-shaped clay-like container. "Nooow I gotcha!" she grins devilishly at Bong. "I'll just trade this for that scotch of mine you nabbed!"

Bong frowns waves his arms in alarm and thinks hard. "Pie-pa, no! That... that... is no... what is word?"

But a dedicated Piper is a hard thing to stop. She pops the top and chugs the contents heartily. "Ha ha! How'dya like that?! Buhh, boy! Yer brew's rilly shhtrong this time, Bong!"

"Uhh, is not... not... Ach. Catch Pie-pa."

Piper stands accusingly. "Whaddya mean 'catch Piper'? I ain't fallin' or nuthin'! I ain't... I ain't... OhLookitAllDaPrettyStars!" About that time, she reels like she has taken an uppercut to her soft chin. Several Broo are ready as Captain Piper drops limply into their waiting arms. In moments, a table is cleared and Piper is set upon it. The Broo watch and guard her as if she were one of their own.

Faydra turns to Bong, "What was word you look for?"

"Ah!" Bong grins. "My brew... not... distilled!"

Faydra regards the now-unconscious Piper with a mixture of pity and complete confusion. Then she turns to you and says, "Pie-pa be O.K.. She numba one. We no let bad happen to Pie-pa." With a tilt of her head expressing curiosity, Faydra watches you. "You show more Wild Card now?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back